Vigil

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Vigil

Post by Morty »

[Prison]

At this point, Wenomir is tempted to choose any response that will make TANBot leave quicker. These robots become even more aggravating in numbers.

"Yes, are you sure you have the right person? I would expect it to be a lot more difficult than going to his house and hoping he's there."
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[Prison]

"A person's IP details are still tied to them. Time travel doesn't change that. And, well, his designation is TAZBot, but anyone can change a display name."

"Like your daughter?"

"You don't have the talking stick, so shut up. But yes, like my daughter."

If TARBot was making up a name on the spot, he would do better than Zeeland.

TANBot looks from Wenomir to TARBot and says to the former "You just folded this guy. Shouldn't you be used to problems being solved a lot easier than you would expect them to be?"

"What! You weren't even there," TARBot whines.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Arkhosia wrote: Oct 05, 2022 4:37 am [A Fox Can't Be Cut]

Koshal's point hadn't entirely gone past Ana's head - she'd just laser-focused on the point of escape plans. Any further thought of either manner of defense are quickly forgotten once he responds, however, and the fox's eyes go wide. "Oh wow, you're a squire? Like, the real deal? Man, that must be like, a lot of responsibility!"
A Fox Can't be Cut

"Mhm!" Koshal nods proudly.
"Properly speaking I'll be a knight in a few years. I'll probably have my own armor by then."
He doesn't feel like it's that much responsibility. Not that it isn't, but because it seems like the right amount of responsibility.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Arkhosia wrote: Sep 23, 2022 6:52 pm [New Arrivals]

Blanche nods and listens to Tirya speak, respectfully digesting the information given. "Interesting. And how does that... manifest in the field for you? I've heard of Kyne before, so I take it you're more about guarding and defending than spec ops and assassination actions?" A beat. "Sorry if that's too clinical. I'm still a little... erm, unused to clerics and paladins and how they work, honestly. Don't come from a place where faith manifests like that."

As to Tirya's question, Blanche raises an eyebrow and glances towards Cessie. "I would not mind either approach. We can still definitely get any concerns out of the way and test both of you together, whichever you're more comfortable with."
Beans wrote: Sep 23, 2022 6:59 pm [New Arrivals]
Vo glances between Tirya and Blanche. "I, uh, I'm okay with going first or going at the same time, whatever works best." She wonders what Tirya's goddess would think of her. Is she undead? She might be undead. What did Tirya mean about how the needs of undead often conflict with those of the living?

She shifts, tensing and relaxing her hands and arms in a nervous fidget. Not the time for these questions. She can ask later, yeah.
Gullara wrote: Sep 24, 2022 4:06 am [New Arrivals]

Jillian's posture starts to slack at the conversation goes on. She slips gradually until she's resting her head on her hands on the desk in front of her. Maybe this is a lot of talking about things she doesn't totally follow.
Lady Serpentine wrote: Sep 18, 2022 2:06 pm
The smile Tirya offers Blanche in response to her well-intentioned reassurance is somewhat strained, despite the paladin's best efforts. It's reassuring to hear that she's not alone in her difficulties, of course, but when that understanding is paired to the fact that she is, herself a half-demon... Her feelings on that little tidbit of information are decidely mixed.

"Soteira is an aspect of a Vulpanian goddess, Angela," Tirya answers, relaxing slightly now that she's on more familiar ground. Of course, she has a duty to represent her faith well, but at least she's talking about a topic she knows reasonably well. "You may be more familiar with one of her other aspects, Kynegetis? Regardless, Soteira's particular focus is the defense of those in harm's way, although she is also notable for her association with death, in which capacity she serves largely as a guide."

The pale girl pauses for a moment, before not-quite-rushing to continue, as though she was gong to stop and then realized she had more she needed to say. "Given the note of undead members, I feel I should make explicit that she has no objection to the undead, in principle. However... Unfortunately, their needs often conflict with those of the living. As with any conflict, there is no set doctrinal answer; one must determine the appropriate course of action depending on the exact circumstances."

Another pause, this one more hesitant as Tirya clearly struggles for several moments with whether or not to speak at all. "...before we continue with my own assessment, I would like to address another of the topics that was just raised, as I feel it has bearing on my suitability. Would you prefer to complete Ms. Vo's assessment first so as to avoid delaying it, or should I do so now?"
[New Arrivals]

"Angela is a name I'm vaguely familiar with. I believe she had a following in HALO at one point? Might still do, but I unfortunately haven't kept myself updated on such matters." Cessie shakes her head. "Either way, I would not make any assumptions like that regarding our 'undead' members. Since I believe on of the key traits of many living beings is we survive by consuming other living beings, isn't that right? So while I understand your concern I think we should avoid making generalizing statements like that. As with my own, they can be misleading. Anyway, our own codes of conduct should probably align with your own so I don't see any cause for concern there. We're all fighting for the cause cause here. Living or undead."

The sorceress clears her voice. "Now, as for the testing that have always been something of an awkward issue for us. Due to how diverse the people that join us are it's difficult to make a standardized test that fits everyone as there's so many different skill sets and talents that we need. My co-commander Wenomir has a preference for obstacle courses but I prefer doing things a bit differently."

She gestures to Blanche. "Miss Turath, would you mind giving them a tour of the base before meeting me up at the training grounds in about half an hour? I will need some time to set things up for them." She looks back to Tirya and Vo. "This is really just a formality of course since you've shown me some good references. But I still would like to see you two in action."
At this point she moves over to her daughter and puts her hands on her shoulder. "Do you want to help me prepare, ladybug?"
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Prison]

"You clearly are new to the nexus." Mia sates. "Here all things you know take place as well as all things you don't know. I know that sounds strange but trust me. The most common example would be someone from a high tech would meeting up a spellcaster who can throw fireballs out of nowhere. Both sides never knew about each other, but here they can clash. So you hopefully get why we are suspiciouse. After all we know you only for Minutes at best.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Prison]

"In my experience, if something looks too easy to be true, then it probably is." Wenomir is speaking from the perspective of someone who has been doing this kind of thing for a while. "Still, it's a lead, so we'll go there and be ready for anything."

[Far Too Early]

Wenomir is customarily an early riser. Of the "get up at the crack of dawn" variety. However, Blanche's call came at a night where he wasn't ready to get up early, because he was in bed with both Cassandra and Anika. Which means he had to drag himself out and clean up before the meeting. With Magtok of all people.

He takes solace in knowing that Cassandra and Anika can keep each other entertained well enough in his absence, but he'd much rather they didn't have to. More to the point, he has no time to do anything about the bite marks on his neck. Both of the elves were quite enthusiastic tonight. The collar of his Vigil surcoat will cover up some of them but not entirely. What he failed to notice is the strand of bright blue hair stuck to his ponytail.
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

[Prison]

"Well, clearly you don't own an air fryer." TANBot states. "But I do know what you're talking about. The other day, I met a real life motorcyclist ghoul. I thought it was hilarious, because it was, but she didn't." TANBot leaves out the part where he smoked her pack, and smoked her pack. (See what I did there?) "Anyways, the point is, if I'm good at what I do, which I am, I can do it even in completely unforeseen Ohio-type circumstances. Isn't that what makes you human?"

"As someone who's had to get around many a VPN address, that hit different."

"Alright, well, the home is in Inside, it was bought fairly recently, it's red brick with two floors and an attic, and someone removed one of the windows. Guess you can't have shit in Inside."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Far Too Early]

Blanche arrives at an incredibly punctual five minutes early, as is her custom at every single meeting she has ever attended. She's thrown on a pair of tan trousers and her usual boots, the sleeves of her white button-up shirt rolled up to the elbows. When the commanders arrive she stiffens and briefly resists an urge to salute that she still hasn't quite entirely buried.

Er - morning Cessie, Wenomir. As the catgirl looks between them takes a second or two before she notices the bite marks partially hidden by Wenomir's collar, and her eyes widen before she wisely attempts to pretend she had never seen any of it.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[A Fox Can't be Cut]

"A few years? I didn't realize it would take so long to become a knight." Anastasia quirks her head, trying to think through what she assumes must be the process of becoming a squire and such. "Well uh, I bet you've learned a few cool things by now. Maybe you can teach me a few things sometime too."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Gold wrote: Oct 09, 2022 10:16 pm [Prison]

"Well, clearly you don't own an air fryer." TANBot states. "But I do know what you're talking about. The other day, I met a real life motorcyclist ghoul. I thought it was hilarious, because it was, but she didn't." TANBot leaves out the part where he smoked her pack, and smoked her pack. (See what I did there?) "Anyways, the point is, if I'm good at what I do, which I am, I can do it even in completely unforeseen Ohio-type circumstances. Isn't that what makes you human?"

"As someone who's had to get around many a VPN address, that hit different."

"Alright, well, the home is in Inside, it was bought fairly recently, it's red brick with two floors and an attic, and someone removed one of the windows. Guess you can't have shit in Inside."
[Prison]

(To be hones no I don't see it, but I don't understand the smoked her pack sentence at all.)

Mia look at him confused. This robot is getting more and more confusing as they speak. Like a guy on alcohole or drugs. She looks worried at Wenomir who hopefully notice her discomfort and TANBots slight insanity.

"I don't know what 'unforeseen Ohio-type circumstances' ((Player not from Us)) are, so I can't answer you that. Inside has seen a lot of trouble and maybe some buildings never got repaired. Lucky we go no apokalyptic catastrpophi.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Arkhosia wrote: Oct 10, 2022 1:17 am [Far Too Early]

Blanche arrives at an incredibly punctual five minutes early, as is her custom at every single meeting she has ever attended. She's thrown on a pair of tan trousers and her usual boots, the sleeves of her white button-up shirt rolled up to the elbows. When the commanders arrive she stiffens and briefly resists an urge to salute that she still hasn't quite entirely buried.

Er - morning Cessie, Wenomir. As the catgirl looks between them takes a second or two before she notices the bite marks partially hidden by Wenomir's collar, and her eyes widen before she wisely attempts to pretend she had never seen any of it.
[Far Too Early]

Cessie isn't actually there in person.
Not living at the base she has instead joined the meeting using one of her magma elementals as a proxy.
The elementals she conjured already looked a lot like her (besides seemingly made of unusually cool magma of course) but Wenomir, being as perceptive as he is, might have noted that whenever she used one to control directly she made them taller.

It isn't really noticeable now as the elemental-Cessie is sitting but he could probably guess that this time wouldn't be the exception to the rule.
She nods in response to Blanche, choosing not to even address the whole elemental thing. This was just one of those things they had to accept if they wanted a meeting this early.

"Good night, Miss Turath, Magtok." She greets as she had a different opinion of what was considered 'morning'.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Prison]

Wenomir appears to mostly share Mia's feelings about TANbot's way of speaking, which expresses itself in... well, a stony-faced scowl. But that appears to be his default expression most of the time.

"We'll send our people to investigate the place. Thank you for your help," is what he says.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Shadowcaller wrote: Oct 08, 2022 2:12 pm [New Arrivals]

"Angela is a name I'm vaguely familiar with. I believe she had a following in HALO at one point? Might still do, but I unfortunately haven't kept myself updated on such matters." Cessie shakes her head. "Either way, I would not make any assumptions like that regarding our 'undead' members. Since I believe on of the key traits of many living beings is we survive by consuming other living beings, isn't that right? So while I understand your concern I think we should avoid making generalizing statements like that. As with my own, they can be misleading. Anyway, our own codes of conduct should probably align with your own so I don't see any cause for concern there. We're all fighting for the cause cause here. Living or undead."

The sorceress clears her voice. "Now, as for the testing that have always been something of an awkward issue for us. Due to how diverse the people that join us are it's difficult to make a standardized test that fits everyone as there's so many different skill sets and talents that we need. My co-commander Wenomir has a preference for obstacle courses but I prefer doing things a bit differently."

She gestures to Blanche. "Miss Turath, would you mind giving them a tour of the base before meeting me up at the training grounds in about half an hour? I will need some time to set things up for them." She looks back to Tirya and Vo. "This is really just a formality of course since you've shown me some good references. But I still would like to see you two in action."
At this point she moves over to her daughter and puts her hands on her shoulder. "Do you want to help me prepare, ladybug?"
[New Arrivals]

Jillian's head pops up and she cranes her head back to look up at her mom. "Okay mommy!" Instantly renewed, she pops out of the chair and moves to her mom's side, reaching up to grab her hand.
~Images by Soushiyo
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

Prison]

(Okay, so 'smoked their pack' has a double meaning. It can mean 'killed their friends', but it's also a way of saying 'celebrated their death'.)

"You've never been to Ohio? Well... neither have I, but I hear it's pretty bad. Definitely worse that Inside, if giant apocalyptic stuff isn't normal."

"That's not what happens in Ohio. It's just a state in that Earth country, the USA." TARBot mutters.

"Haters will say it's fake... hater." TANBot grumbles. Then, turning to Wenomir, he says "...I can come too, right? Right?"
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[New Arrivals]

"Of course, whatever you need." Blanche nods, unable to help but smile at Jillian's enthusiasm. Just adorable! She turns back towards the two new recruits. "Well, shall we? I can show you all the sights, there's a lot of nice places around here."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Beans
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Beans »

[New Arrivals]

Vo listens to Cessie. Muscles in her arms twitch and bunch just a little; a test is a chance to prove herself, but it's also a chance to just ruin everything. She swallows down the hateful little voice inside and nods eagerly.

"I'm ready! Uh, for the tour and then the testing after, I mean."
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Prison

Well with that meaning he is even more creepy i say.

"To be honest. No." Mia replies.For once to prevent self RP. " If I understand it right you are one who he hunts and bringing you directly to him should be avoided."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Prison]

"Mia makes a good point." Wenomir looks between the three other people present. "If this guy wants to seize the power cores of robots like yourselves, delivering more of them straight to him seems dangerous."
Magtok
Pointy Eared Baby Devourer

Post by Magtok »

[Far Too Early]

Magtok clears his throat, and slaps both palms on the table. Half of it is to get everyone's attention and focus on the meeting, and the other half is to wake himself up, because he's barely hanging on to consciousness right now, and intends to teleport home and pass out the minute he's done with this stupid nonsense. In fact, he's so sleepy he barely even registers the hair on Wenomir. Did he dye a single strand of his hair for some reason? Has he been fighting off cannibal demons or something recently?

...whatever, who cares, it's probably some machismo bushido warrior honor thing, Just ignore it; pretend everything's normal and Cessie isn't some weird lava monster or whatever's going over at her side of the table.

"Prime is a problem. I have a plan that can help, but it involves trusting me and listening to an idea I came up with. I can understand how that might be a dealbreaker for you, given our history and my own genetic proximity to this threat. If there's no chance of this going anywhere, please let me know now, so rather than after I give a lengthy explanation of the plan, I can save everyone's time and go to bed," Magtok starts, giving Vigil's leadership the opportunity to deny him now, rather than pretend to hear him out. Part of him actually hopes they do turn him down, just so he can get some sleep and then come back and go ahead with the plan anyway. It'd be a lot easier for him to act without their approval or input. Messier, sure, but he won't have to explain anything to anyone or listen to opinions that aren't his own.
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Far Too Early]

Wenomir isn't sure why Cessie makes her elementals taller. She never struck him as being sensitive about her height.

"Trust isn't a word I'll use where you're concerned, but I'm reasonably confident that defeating Prime is within your own self-interest." No use mincing words here. "So I'm willing to hear this idea."
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

[Prison]

"That's not a power core, genius." TARBot says, gesturing to TANBot. Indeed, embedded in the grey-white robot's chest is a comparatively regular battery, hexagonal with green markings. Not a power core.

TANBot thinks for a moment. "Though, there are probably less zero-brained things I can do with my time than pay a home visit to a psychopath on Twitter who doesn't like me. And I just got my paint done, so I'd be seething if it got scratched up again in a fight. Well, then..."

TANBot picks up the large boombox, flips the cassette to the other side, and hits play causing Xenogenesis - TheFatRat to begin playing from the speakers.

"Wenomir, Mia, I'll see you around. Hopefully not, though." Then, as the beat drops, he turns to leave just as musically as he came.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Far Too Early]

"I'm willing to listen." Cessie says simply. Magtok's problem was mostly his ego but that might not be an issue in this case. Probably had to prove himself to be the "superior" Magtok or some nonsense like that.
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Oct 18, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Prison]

TANBot will notice thathe Music isn't playing as long as he is inside the building. A look at Mia might tell him she is not pleased wit that and has shut it down. After he is gone she turns to Wenomir.

"We might need to discuss the next steps. Should we involve more people in that matter?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Prison]

"The two of us had trouble against our troublemaker here." Wenomir gestures with his head towards TARBot. "If this 'Zeeland' has him on the run, we're likely to be insufficient against him."
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

[Prison]

TANBot does notice the boombox isn't playing. He tries turning it up, but to no avail. So, he just tries playing the music from his own built-in speakers instead on his way out.

"Whatever you decide to do, hurry up and decide." TARBot doesn't have much to add other than that, since he doesn't know any of the other VIGIL members.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Far Too Early]

Blanche nods as the other three speak, but doesn't interject. For now, Magtok has the floor.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Prison]

"To be true I'm not sure we had trouble." Mia replies ignoring the prisoner. "Sure we weren't prepared for him but we didn't face any injuries."

Mia pauses.

"Let us take this to a meeting room and see who might be able to assisst us."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Prison ==> Briefing Room]

"But we did have him outnumbered and had to call in reinforcements despite that," Wenomir points out. "We'll see who we have on hand and make a plan..."
Magtok
Pointy Eared Baby Devourer

Post by Magtok »

[Far Too Early]

Magtok takes a deep breath. Alright, we'd best start from the beginning. This is going to take some effort to explain in a way the Vigil leadership can understand without immediately throwing him out the window.

"Okay, as you might already know, sitting in your prison is a body Prime meant to seize for himself. It's been very deliberately designed to augment his natural psychic powers, thought in its current state, without the augments, it's little more than a grumpy old man in a cage."

"I was more than happy to see him rot there forever, but then Needs helped me find a magical sigil, one that would can be used to permanently connect a ghost like Prime to a body. See, normally if a body he's possessing dies, he can just leave it behind and fly away to do more evil ghost shit. With this sigil on a body, if he possesses it, he no longer has a way out. The door is closed behind him, he's bound to it personally. It dies, he dies, and he stays dead. But it can't be just painted on his chest, or he might just wipe it off. That's why I'm thinking we put it on the brain implant, and slot it back into that clone's head, where Prime can't remove it."

"Of course, you still need Prime to actually take the bait. That means the clone needs to escape somehow. It needs to believe it got away from Vigil and isn't being manipulated into being used as a trap. Now, my idea is to 'accidentally' let the psychic implant fall into his hands, let him slot it into his own head, and then just stand back as he breaks out of his cell and flies off to reunite with Prime. Then you send the kill team to follow after, make sure they're all warded against hypnotic brain-melting suggestion, and have them kick his stupid ass and end this threat for good," our cyborg explains.

"Obviously there are some problems with this idea. We'd need a clear path out the door so it doesn't murder anyone while it's running away, and for the prison break to be believable, so neither Prime nor his body suspect they're walking into a trap. We'd also need the kill squad ready immediately, because leaving Prime alone with that kind of power for free is extremely dangerous. Ideally, you'd have an assassin pop his stupid head the moment he seals himself into the new body, but it's more likely you'd need to get into a big ugly brawl to put him down. Still, if everyone is playing their role correctly, if all goes exactly as it should, I think Prime can be stopped with minimal casualties."
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Far Too Early]

Wenomir leans over with his hands resting against the table. He's doing his best to analyse this plan from a tactical point of view, without letting his opinion of Magtok cloud his judgment. After all, Magtok does know Prime better than most.

"That is a plan with many failure points. One thing going for us is that Prime and his clones will be eager to believe that they've outsmarted us. But that only goes so far."