Vigil

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Vigil

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

Emily is slightly early, under the idea that if you're early, you're on time. She's come in her usual superhero outfit, gauntlets and shin plates included, and as she approaches, she says to the newcomer, "Hello. Who're you?"
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

LB2's avatar fidgets when the substitute is moved out of the chamber. "Um, are you sure it's okay to move her? It won't screw anything up?" She frets around the sleeping mew for a moment, before moving her attention to workings of the Bifrost chamber. "Oh, so that's what that looks like in realspace. Interesting." She looks at the quad-copter passing through with furrowed brows, then turns to Geneva. "I'm sorry, I have to check something again. Bye." She and her virtual drawing board wink out again, her little robot body falling inert.

Inside the dream vision, LB-M lifts an eyebrow. "What do you mean, isolate its location? This place is inside your own head, right? Was there ever any confusion over that?"

"Ah, no. That's not what she means. Don't worry. We'll get to it."

LB-M jumps up, as far as such is good description of moving from one levitating position to another, and looks around wide-eyed. "Who is that?"

A moment later, Geneva's probe flies into the atrium. In the outside world, it goes from transmitting nothing but blackness to suddenly having a visual of LB-M and Geneva's mental self-image.

"Ah, sorry. Didn't mean to scare you", a voice rattles from the probe. "I'm one of your sisters. You can call me LB2 for now. I, uh, noticed the probe passing by while it was on its way to you, and I'm using it to bounce a signal to you."

LB-M blinks, then blinks some more, looking back and forth between the probe and Geneva, pointing fingers at them. "Is this your doing?", she asks the latter. "You imagined her into existence, right? That's the simplest explanation, isn't it?"
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Labs]

Awen's attention might get drawn to one of the labs as there is light flashing off and on in a short persiod of time. Every time the bright light appears it is folowed by a crackle sound and sometimes it comes in very short periods.

Should this peak her intrest she can read a tag right in front of the door stating:
"Laboritory of
High Priestress of Deus Mechanicus
Mia Mechanicus"

Inside it looks a bit strange. While in a lab you might expect a clear testing area, white tables and coats and maybe seperated areas you watch through glass walls or something a like, this one looks more like a workshop for cars. Just instead of engines and other parts of cars you see mechanical arms, mobile toolboxes and other machines, mainly in use on the island, scattered in the room. On the opposit side of the room sits a person who just works on something with a welding torch.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Superhero Training]

Thariza is walking beside Ambrosia, looking somewhat nervous. But despite this being Vigil, it's not Vigil's old base where she died. And she's been trying to put it behind her regardless.

"My name is Thariza. Former member here and Ambrosia's friend." She lets Ambrosia explain the purpose of her coming here.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Superhero Training]

"Hello again, Emily. I brought along Thariza here since I figured that before we start your training I wanted to see you in action. So I asked Thariza if she wanted to spar with you, using weapons specifically." She gestures to the sword that she's holding. "If you have any experience using a sword that is, otherwise we could work out something else."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

"A friend of mine growing up used a sword," Emily says, looking at the weapon contemplatively, "Haven't touched one in a few years, but it's not like I've forgotten the drills. Just bear in mind I'm not near as experienced with one as with my fists," unless Ambrosia objects, Emily will take the sword in hand, to give it a few practice swings and test its weight.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Superhero Training]

"I guess I'm one of the few people around not dwarfed by you, huh." Thariza looks Emily up and down with some amusement. "Not that I've seen any other Charr here. Anyway, I've got these two weapons." She hefts a battered old hammer and an axe. "I'll try to put you through the paces."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Superhero Training]

"Grand, then if neither have any issues with your choices of weapons we should probably lay out some ground rules so you don't end up hurting yourself." She gestures for them to follow her as she makes her way towards the training grounds.

"Now, first of all, if any of you have any techniques that could help making this as safe as possible? Since it would mean you could really duel rather than awkwardly stand around trying not to hurt one another. Since I know from experience that it's especially hard to spar with someone that you just got to know. You don't know how far you can press them if you're not familiar with their fighting style."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

"I'll just fight defensively until we have a feel for each other. We can ramp up from there. That work for you, Thariza?" Emily offers. The massive reptilian woman seems eager to fight someone not completely outside of her size range, and extremely confident in her ability to defend herself, even against an unknown opponent.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Superhero Training]

"Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much, Ambrosia." Thariza hefts her hammer in her hand. "We're both hardy and I had plenty of sparring matches during Iron Legion training. We'll start slow and avoid aiming for our faces or other vulnerable spots."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Superhero Training]

The scholar gives Thariza an respectful nod. "Very well, I shall trust in your judgement then."

And so they arrive at the sparring arena.
"As is tradition, once you've entered the arena and bow before one another before taking your spot at opposite sides of the arena. Then you may begin."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

"Mmm," Emily will bow as bid, then straighten up into a combat stance, sword held out in front of her in a fairly standard guard. Assuming Thariza follows suit, Emily doesn't make the first move - as stated, she intends to fight defensively for the first little bit, then escalate. She's giving the feline woman across from her the initiative in keeping with that.

If either Thariza or Ambrosia are familiar with it, they might recognize some elements of Kendo in her stance. But it's too rigid; she hasn't had an opportunity to refine her understanding of swordsmanship.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Far Too Early]

"Might be a tough ask," Blanche points out. "I don't think we're going to be flushing Prime out so much as following the bait to his lair. And we'll want to be careful about information control - everything could fall apart if the plan leaks beyond us."

For Magtok's benefit, she adds, "I'd suggest we aim for a week or two, keep it under three if possible. We need time to prepare resources and train those taking part, but the longer we let this plan marinate, the higher the risk intel leaks and Prime or the clone get tipped off indirectly." And the higher the risk Magtok himself gets antsy and acts alone.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Superhero Training]

Thariza circles Emily for a while. Her pose is a bit strange. She's a defensive fighter by training who adapted to a more aggressive fighting style at some later point in her life. She opens with a steady, slow charge that picks up speed, before barreling into the crocodile-woman and swinging both her weapons in a wide arc. Probing her reactions.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

Emily just sways back at the last moment, out of Thariza's arc or at the very least disrupting the power of her attack by not being where it was intended to strike. And then she moves, not to attack, but to intercept - she expects a followup attack and, rather than just letting it come, steps forward suddenly to foul up Thariza's range and strike the feline woman with the pommel of her sword in a downward swing towards the shoulder, hopefully doing some damage and preventing whatever strike Thariza was going to use from working.

It definitely helps that Emily's got an incredible amount of power behind her blows, even ones so unrefined as this. But this isn't really a sword technique so much as a technique using a sword, controlling the flow of kinetic energy in her body to disrupt the enemy's flow.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Superhero Training]

When her momentum is interrupted, Thariza leans back. She looks like she's too large to dodge this strike quickly enough, but strands of mist wrap around her and seem to transport her backwards. Having disengages this way, she starts circling around Emily, forcing her to turn to keep up with her.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

And here Thariza will see a chink in Emily's armor. With her only semi-upright posture and short legs, turning in place is a step slower, a step harder, and to compensate Emily starts circling as well, sword held out before her. Emily's still playing the defensive game, willing to wait and counterattack rather than push forward into a gambit of Thariza's choosing.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Superhero Training]

Thariza does notice, being more observant than she looks or sounds. She decides to lean on her post-revivification powers to see how Emily adapts. She steps to her side, then vanishes in a flash of purple smoke and reappears two metres to the side, at which point she charges Emily again.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

Which is of course when Emily chooses to drop to all fours and suddenly launch herself forward. She can't turn too well when standing, as her body doesn't really allow for ease in that kind of movement, but sudden bursts of forward momentum are well within her grasp. And, being on her hands, she can pivot her legs around the point of contact with the ground her hands are providing. Within a second of Thariza's maneuver, Emily has repositioned to gain some distance, spun around to face Thariza, and is already pulling herself back into her semi-upright posture to have her guard back up. This is clearly a well practiced move of hers; she didn't see where Thariza was coming from, simply removed herself from the places the charr could be attacking.

"Nice move. Teleport's aren't exhausting for you?"
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Zefir wrote: Jan 23, 2023 8:36 am [Labs]

Awen's attention might get drawn to one of the labs as there is light flashing off and on in a short persiod of time. Every time the bright light appears it is folowed by a crackle sound and sometimes it comes in very short periods.

Should this peak her intrest she can read a tag right in front of the door stating:
"Laboritory of
High Priestress of Deus Mechanicus
Mia Mechanicus"

Inside it looks a bit strange. While in a lab you might expect a clear testing area, white tables and coats and maybe seperated areas you watch through glass walls or something a like, this one looks more like a workshop for cars. Just instead of engines and other parts of cars you see mechanical arms, mobile toolboxes and other machines, mainly in use on the island, scattered in the room. On the opposit side of the room sits a person who just works on something with a welding torch.

[Labs]

"!" Awen's attention is drawn to the flashing light.

When she gets close, she realizes she recognizes that. Mia. Yeah, she's the one who made her mechanical hand.

She looks in....
Oh. Welding torch. Wouldn't she need some sort of eye protection to go in....?

She steps inside the room, then knocks on the door to draw attention. "Hi. Um...." That person looks like she might be busy, so...
Awen raises her voice so it might be heard over the sound of the torch. "Hey, Mia? When would be a good time for me to come back? My mechanical hand's been acting up."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Rebonack wrote: Jan 22, 2023 4:46 pm [Deciphering Cylinders]

"I'm glad you like them Miss Eun my big sister Karaglen helped me make them she's really good at making things and she makes lots of gifts for people at Thanksmas because she's really nice and cares about people," Lapis rambles back. Her expression falls slightly, though. "I'm sorry I didn't do a good job at the present wrapping I'm not very good at that because I haven't put any skills in it yet."

A terrible travesty, Lapis.

You can spare a single point in swording to make your gift wrapping better.

As for Geneva...

She opens the inner door of the Bifrost Chamber and gently levitates her substitute out. The airlock chamber cycles, then the outer doors open up and the sleeping mew is deposited on a table nearby.

"Alright, I believe I've isolated a probable candidate for the brane the flywheel device is generating. I'm going to send a probe through and see if we're aiming correctly," Geneva says as a little quad-copter whirs to life and hovers into the airlock. While that's going on the Bifrost itself flashes to life, the frame at the far end lighting up with a roiling sheet of color reminiscent of a soap bubble. No light is passing through the 'doorway' of course. Light moving through a wormhole is often hazardously blueshifted and that wouldn't be good for people OR equipment!

Once the bridge is established the probe will pass through the doorways and-

Meanwhile!

"I think I'll be waking up and reintegrating here soon. But first we have one last test we're running. I believe we've managed to isolate the location of this 'dream world' relative to the universe we're operating in. If our calculations are correct, we should have a little visitor in just a few seconds,"
the sleeping Geneva informs her conversation partner in the atrium.
Hraithre wrote: Jan 22, 2023 8:33 pm [Deciphering Cylinders]

LB2's avatar fidgets when the substitute is moved out of the chamber. "Um, are you sure it's okay to move her? It won't screw anything up?" She frets around the sleeping mew for a moment, before moving her attention to workings of the Bifrost chamber. "Oh, so that's what that looks like in realspace. Interesting." She looks at the quad-copter passing through with furrowed brows, then turns to Geneva. "I'm sorry, I have to check something again. Bye." She and her virtual drawing board wink out again, her little robot body falling inert.

Inside the dream vision, LB-M lifts an eyebrow. "What do you mean, isolate its location? This place is inside your own head, right? Was there ever any confusion over that?"

"Ah, no. That's not what she means. Don't worry. We'll get to it."

LB-M jumps up, as far as such is good description of moving from one levitating position to another, and looks around wide-eyed. "Who is that?"

A moment later, Geneva's probe flies into the atrium. In the outside world, it goes from transmitting nothing but blackness to suddenly having a visual of LB-M and Geneva's mental self-image.

"Ah, sorry. Didn't mean to scare you", a voice rattles from the probe. "I'm one of your sisters. You can call me LB2 for now. I, uh, noticed the probe passing by while it was on its way to you, and I'm using it to bounce a signal to you."

LB-M blinks, then blinks some more, looking back and forth between the probe and Geneva, pointing fingers at them. "Is this your doing?", she asks the latter. "You imagined her into existence, right? That's the simplest explanation, isn't it?"
[Deciphering Cylinders]

"Oh, don't worry about that." Eun says encouragingly. "It's just wrapping paper. It wasn't meant to stay on, right? And the gift was very sweet. Thank you." She kneels and slowly puts her arms around the little seraph, giving her a little hug before stopping about halfway through and realizing, oh, yeah, they're still probably not that close and the gesture would probably be a little awkward for both of-

...Huh.

Okay then.

Eun slowly stands back up and puts the bell-box in her pocket. "Right. We, um... have an experiment to get back to."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Superhero Training]

"I can't do it repeatedly, if that's what you mean." Thariza goes on the defensive again, weapons held high. "I need some time for the energy to build up. I wanted to see how you'd react. And that was a clever move."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Superhero Training]

Ambrosia has almost motionlessly been observing them with that tome of hers tome floating right besides her. Its sole author a handless pen which is constantly scribbling down words which presumably are related to the duel.
But as Emily performs that maneuver it seems to bring a moment of pause to the writing as Ambrosia tilts her head ever so slightly.
Then the pen continues at an even faster pace. Though the scholar still makes no comments on what had just happened.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

With Thariza going on the defensive, Emily chooses to take the initiative this time. She drops forward again, right hand stretched out to hold her training sword while her left is on the ground. This isn't a good stance for swordplay itself, but it is for movement; without a risk of bowling herself over by moving too fast she can accelerate at speed towards Thariza, and when she's within reach of the charr she'll suddenly stand upright and bring the sword up in a sweeping slash.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

"It shouldn't. But if it DOES then that will be an important discovery," Geneva replies, keeping half an eye on the readouts of her sensors. If moving her sub causes the position of the 'dream world' brane to move as well, then that informs them that its position relative to them is based on the location of the corresponding flywheel mechanism. Or, at least, its simulation.

But the brane doesn't move!

Which means that once established it follows the typical rules of brane motions within the bulk. This is, of course, vitally important information. It means Geneva can track it much as she would any other universe drifting through hyperspace.

Meanwhile!

"The simulation of the flywheel mechanism is in my head, but the mechanism creates an actualized pocket-universe. This, all of it, is 'real' after a fashion. Not merely a vivid hallucination akin to a dream," Geneva replies, eyeing the Bifrost aperture the probe just arrived through. As on the other side, nothing is 'visible' through the doorway. It's carefully calibrated to allow only radio-waves through, which get massively blue-shifted to create the iridescent effect. If visible light were allowed through it would emerge as gamma radiation, which wouldn't be very healthy for anyone nearby. "Normally yes, that I'm just dreaming this up would be the simplest explanation. But Occam's Razor is only applicable when two models have equal explanatory power. I'm coordinating with myself outside. Sending the probe through Bifrost is an experiment we're carrying out."

She frowns ever so slightly.

"Though LB2 hitching a ride wasn't part of the experimental design."

Whoops!

Hopefully that doesn't mess anything up.

Meanwhile!

Lapis smiles back at Miss Eun and is more than happy to exchange hugs! Mother says hugs are wonderful because every time you give one away you have just as many as you started with.

But then things happen! Like the door! And the little machine that goes VVVRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Lapis watches the goings on curiously, not totally clear one what's going on but it's neat! "The colors on the door thing are pretty I love them!"

Lapis loves many things.

Eun and Lapis will be treated to a nice visual of the inside of the Atrium where LB-M and also-Geneva are seated. It looks like Geneva's hypothesis was correct! The dream world IS accessible via Bifrost!
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

"Oh, I'm right where you left me", LB2's voice reverberates through Geneva's probe in the imaginary atrium, "I'm just making your probe vibrate to make myself heard. The actuality of this space means that by extension, my manufactured space is also actual, and can touch on this brane."

LB-M looks like someone bonked her on the head. "Hold on now... if this is virtual space is actual... could I just enter the physical world by going where this machine came from?"

"Technically yes", LB2's voice chirps, "but I would recommend against it. I suspect, to satisfy all conservation laws, something would have to pay the difference in energy. I'm not sure if it would be Dr. Richards or her portal machine." She knows neither Bifrost chamber's energy budget, nor how bad losing a substitute would be to Geneva. "That's why I'm limiting myself to audio. Quantum sail of my hull cannot produce enough energy to bridge the gap for my whole self."

Indeed, if Geneva or Eun checks, the tiny disc-shaped robot at the corner of the lab is operating at the upper limit of its power generation, despite being motionless and having the hologram turned off.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Superhero Training]

Thariza is taken by surprise. Emily's moves match those of Charr warriors fairly closely... but it's been a long time since Thariza met a Charr, much less fought against one. She's no longer as familiar with those maneuvers as she used to be. She backs away, raising both her weapons to parry the attack, but still on the defensive and the back foot.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

She presses her advantage, stepping forward swinging her sword down towards the charr's head. But Thariza may see that she's overextending slightly, putting her arms out before her. That's something she could exploit!
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Superhero Training]

Having recovered from her initial surprise, Thariza's old instincts come back to her. She ducks down, goes on all fours for a moment to slip under Emily's guard and then straightens upwards, trying to knock her sword aside with both her weapons.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Thursday Violist wrote: Jan 29, 2023 9:04 am [Labs]

"!" Awen's attention is drawn to the flashing light.

When she gets close, she realizes she recognizes that. Mia. Yeah, she's the one who made her mechanical hand.

She looks in....
Oh. Welding torch. Wouldn't she need some sort of eye protection to go in....?

She steps inside the room, then knocks on the door to draw attention. "Hi. Um...." That person looks like she might be busy, so...
Awen raises her voice so it might be heard over the sound of the torch. "Hey, Mia? When would be a good time for me to come back? My mechanical hand's been acting up."
[Labs]

She has kluck as Mia blocks teh dangerouse light of the Welding torch.with erh body which means she is also not able to face the entrance, but don't worry. Mia won't react immediatly as some of the sentence won't be heared over the torch.
When Mia makes a pause she looks up as if she heared something from above, but there are only some machines haning who need repair. She then shuts the Welding torch.off befor turning around.

"There is no need to come back. I just work on some repairs and non of it is urgent. So what do you mean by 'acting up'?"

She takes of the protection and her view focus on the arm, trying to listen to the mechanical arms voice.