Vigil

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Vigil

Post by Morty »

[Superhero Training]

Huh. Smooth dodge on Ambrosia's part. But she no doubt expected this. Hopefully she can keep this up.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Halae wrote: Feb 09, 2023 10:35 pm [Superhero Training]

"I see," Emily eyes Ambrosia curiously, "Well, I won't say no to it if you've got ways to train me how to use it. Wouldn't mind seeing one of those books myself if you have them on hand."
[Superhero Training]

"I'm afraid the books themselves is not something you can get your hands on. These people, the heliots, they're a rather private sort. That said, I have been allowed to make transcripts of certain passages which I could copy for you. However, that's for later. Homework as it were. Right now I would like to see your tail in action. You said it wasn't prehensile, correct?" She holds a curled up finger against her chin thoughtfully as she looks it Emily's tail.

"Would it be wrong to assume it shares some characteristics with the crocodilia family? Since it that case it would be mostly used for swimming, yet your body isn't streamline shaped like theirs."

She pauses, seemingly waiting for some clarification from Emily.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

Eun shakes her head. "But that goes against almost everything we know about the universe. A hyper-dimensional object would have effectively infinite mass, and therefore an infinite gravitational force; the existence of even one such object would result in the complete implosion of the universe. Even if we're only looking at standard three-dimensional masses that are simply off in a direction we can't perceive, there should still be some indicator of their presence; a gravitational silhouette, Omega-axis interference, or..."

Eun pales suddenly. "...Oh. Oh." She looks over at LB-2 and gives her a little grimace. "...Omega-axis interference. Such as the type that might, say, interrupt a routine flight between two time-displaced worlds. The fact that I'm here implies there's something there that we could bump into. Maybe not machinery, exactly, but all it would take would be a meteor or satellite of some sort."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

"I can swim just fine, thank you," Emily says, an amused tone to her scratchy voice, "My limbs are large enough to cause some drag, but I'm still streamlined well enough. But yes, I can use it like a rudder, a paddle, and in a fight I can theoretically use it like a bludgeon."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Superhero Training]

"Don't think I've ever seen a crocodile. But there are drakes in Ascalon and they're... a bit similar? More compact." Thariza scratches her head.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Superhero Training]

"That's not- what I meant was that your body isn't shaped like a crocodiles so you would swim more like a human than one of them." Ambrosia clarifies before going into a lengthier explanation of tail work.

"But moving with your tail and coordinating is actually more important than hitting things with it. But it's also more difficult to train. Just like any part of your body you want it to be at the right place at the right time. I believe the most effective way I've read about its use is to limit and hinder the opponents movement. For instance, you can move it to the sides to force the enemy to step over it or even trip. Make them have to focus on their footwork as well as whatever else they're doing at the moment. Since the enemy's attention can only be at so many things at once."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

"Actually," Emily straightens out the hunch in her back, extending upwards to make Emily yet even taller than she was before, and Ambrosia and Thariza will get to see how her torso is, but for that hunch, shaped quite like the body of a massive crocodile - the main differences are in her limbs and head. Her semi-upright posture comes primarily from her torso being too long for human bipedal locomotion. The hunchback just gives the illusion of a more human-like form than she truly has, "I'm rather more crocodilian than most people realize."

Her back hunches down again until she's a mere nine and a half feet tall, "Regardless, that makes sense, but I wouldn't really know how to go about starting in on that. I hope you can teach me."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Far Too Early]

Blanche nods in agreement. "Yes, that sounds good to me," she answers, turning to Magtok as the two of them move to depart. She starts to open her mouth, presumably about to comment something along the lines of "that went well" or "see, I told you so" - until she hears a brief commotion, spins back to the door and blinks in surprise.

"Er-" Blanche stutters for a moment, a bright scarlet seeping into her face. This is way more to see all of a sudden than she's ready to deal with right now, let alone suppress to focus on the possibility that Anika was listening in.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

~We have to be careful not to mistake our models of reality with reality, especially when we're dealing with unknowns like this,~ the mew still seated in the comically oversized chair says gently. ~By quantum mechanical standards a black hole should have an infinitely indeterminate position because we can measure its velocity accurately but that's clearly not the case. When reality contradicts our models it isn't a problem with reality; it's a problem with our models.~

If a hyper object isn't causing the whole of reality to implode then clearly our modeling of hyper objects is wrong.

Case in point: Lapis standing right over there admiring several crayon drawings Geneva has hanging up in her lab that were created by her children.

~I'm going to begin working on a way to get LB-M up and ambulatory that won't run into issues with mass conservation. That will take a few hours to set up the computer transfer system and rig it to a suitable substrate rather than a pokeball since we don't actually HAVE any buffered mass to utilize.~

Pokemon transfer effects are definitely weird. High end teleportation and digitization stuff.

~In the mean time, Doctor Bu, would you mind running the data we've collected to the central computer? I'd like that raw data to be analyzed and that process will take some time.~

Said main computer has an air gap between it and the rest of the VIGIL network to make sure it can't be infected by nonsense. A very simple but effective security feature.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

"I can't say I know as much of the universe as you, but my math did not include any infinities", LB2 muses, "I think, for that to be the case, the object has to be infinite along some dimension. I assumed the object I was looking for was only the size of, well, Dr. Richards's probe there. And that's what I found."

The thought that Octahedral machinery might somehow have caused Eun's arrival in the Nexus gives LB2 a shock. "That would be quite a coincidence if true, is what I'd like to say", she begins, "but the math does allow for a path where the arrow of time loops back to itself, allowing for causality to run in odd directions. I don't know enough of the circumstances of your arrival to say for sure, but just the fact that it's possible suggests that you building me and my sisters was, in non-scientific terms, your destiny."

For what it's worth, examining the data does not provide a lot of additional information, but Eun's quick hypothesis of Omega-axis interfence is harmonious with earlier observations of the odd mass shadows, as well as earlier suggestions that the information of Octahedron glyphs might have mass and dimensions of their own.

When interpreted under the light of new findings, the earlier drone measurements of the real structure suggest that the Octahedron is non-infinite, but very big. If there is a singularity or other strong gravity anomaly inside of it, it is both reasonably small and kept isolated from the rest of the structure well enough that it does not collapse on itself. But, given Codebreaker's account of how he recovered the disassembled Lantern in VIGIL custody, some parts of the structure must have collapsed or at least been removed from real space. That the structure can be accessed from the Nexus at all without the use of something like the BIFROST chamber, suggest there is still something in there supplying the structure with physical power.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

Eun takes a calming sigh and kneels next to LB2. "...I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around it." She says quietly. "Not the causality part. That, we have more or less conclusively proven, is utter bunk. Time travel is still impossible, precisely because of its paradoxical nature. But we can still simulate something like it through quad-space travel." She fumbles around in her labcoat for a moment, before producing a pen and paper. "The theory goes that the event which marked the first causal event of our universe- the big bang, if you will- was not a unique phenomenon, but rather, the result of some as-of-yet unknown phenomenon traveling through the three-dimensional slice of space we call home. It was in other slices before us, and went on to other slices after us, like so." She draws a line with several segments perpendicular to it, marking the one in the middle with a little drawing of a house. "Because these slices don't interfere with each other, and the causal event that set them off was identical across all of them, the result is that they all come out the same, but time-delayed... this one here started a few seconds before we did, and this one here a few seconds afterward. Theoretically, if we could observe another slice and determine both how far from us it is spatially and temporally, we could therefore measure this anomaly's traveling through the multiverse as a velocity, v, some distance over some amount of time, and so long as all slices remain causally identical, we could theoretically travel from one slice to another to view events that have already happened in our universe or eventually will, by inverting the v and traveling the desired distance. This process, in a pristine multiverse, would be indistinguishable from time travel."

"That's not really theoretical for us anymore. Since we actually received visitors from another earth, which began its existence five hundred years before ours did, and in doing so destroyed the pristine nature of the multiverse. Now we have two different series of causal events, two 'timelines', that alternate between the multiverse... one where there were no visitors, which will eventually go on to develop quad-space travel, and one where there are visitors, whose future is uncertain, because we haven't yet observed any other universes where things have advanced that far." She taps the drawing. "Because these two timelines are interfering with each other, we developed technology that lets us go back and forth between the two. We simply accelerate from here-" She taps the "home" segment", "get up to a certain speed relative to v, maintain it for a time, and the decelerate back to v, which through a convoluted bunch of technical mechanisms I would rather not get into just now, is precisely the desired distance from where we started to end up in our counterpart's timeline." She draws a little arc to symbolize the journey she just described. "But if something were to get in the way, such as, say, another object moving at a speed relative to v other than on a 1-to-1 ratio, the transfer of momentum would result in us not having a 1-to-1 ratio velocity with v at the end of our journey... so we'd still be traveling along this axis, without any idea how fast we're going."

"Thankfully, there are a lot of other things that are traveling at this speed, as well. In fact, we're surrounded by them." Eun makes a broad, sweeping gesture around the laboratory, indicating everything they can currently see. "So we're not doomed to just drift through the multiverse forever until we starve or die of old age. But, the question then becomes, if the Nexus or something like it was here all along, why didn't we ever notice?" She taps the page again. "The conclusion I've come to so far is that everything here, and back home, still only exists in and influences three spatial dimensions. Nothing here has a nonzero thickness along this axis, and therefore neither my homeworld nor the Nexus can interact with each other so long as they do not have the same velocity along this axis."

Eun's gaze slides over toward Lapis, a little frown forming on her face. "...Which is why she's such a puzzle." She continues. "If any item did have a nonzero thickness along the omega axis, it would have an infinite mass relative to anything that has zero thickness, as even the most ridiculously small thickness would still represent an infinite continuum of three-dimensional objects bound together across the multiverse. That we can coexist with her, in the most literal sense of the word, means that this..." She crumples up the paper and tosses it away, visibly frustrated. "...is garbage."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Halae wrote: Feb 12, 2023 8:26 pm [Superhero Training]

"Actually," Emily straightens out the hunch in her back, extending upwards to make Emily yet even taller than she was before, and Ambrosia and Thariza will get to see how her torso is, but for that hunch, shaped quite like the body of a massive crocodile - the main differences are in her limbs and head. Her semi-upright posture comes primarily from her torso being too long for human bipedal locomotion. The hunchback just gives the illusion of a more human-like form than she truly has, "I'm rather more crocodilian than most people realize."

Her back hunches down again until she's a mere nine and a half feet tall, "Regardless, that makes sense, but I wouldn't really know how to go about starting in on that. I hope you can teach me."
[Superhero Training]

Ambrosia's eyebrows raises as she sees this display.
Maintaining that posture can't be healthy. Had she damaged herself just to be able to enter smaller buildings? That was just awful.

"...well, now I suddenly have a new concern which I want to talk about. Don't you think walking around with that hunch will effect your combat ability? Since it very much seems so. Not to mention all sort of other long-term health issues it can cause."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

"I'm fine," Emily says with a sigh, "This is how I stand up most comfortably. My posture is normal for me, and I can fight just fine with it. Or are you going to give that same complaint to Thariza?" she waves towards the other fighter.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Superhero Training]

Thariza huffs, her tail swishing behind her.

"A hunch is natural posture for Charr. Flame Legion shamans used to stand up straight, but it's really uncomfortable. They did it because they were vain jackasses."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Superhero Training]

Ambrosia nods to Thariza. "As she said, it's the opposite of an issue for her. Now, I'm not you Emily so I can't really tell you what's best for your body. However, would you at least be willing to try to assume your previous pose again? I would like to see how you move around in it. At least just for a couple of minutes."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

Emily sighs, "Fine. It ain't pretty, though," and then she straightens up to her full height.

... Wow, she's very top-heavy. Her tail provides a solid amount of weight at the base to keep her balanced, but as she walks in a circle it's clear this is neither comfortable nor particularly fast, as she has to extend her hands to either side to keep her torso balanced.

"I try not to move too much when I'm like this. It's useful for bringing my head and shoulders out of reach, but I can barely move without tipping over."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

While this discussion is going on Geneva has hovered over to the Pokemon PC in her lab and is busy making some adjustments to the device along with the receptor that holds the pokemon-filled balls. Given that the machine is designed to materialize things this should be perfect! But, hmm, what to use as the matter for rearranging into-

Geneva's eyes fall on the cylinder and its copious volume of psychically active ectoplasm. Her mind makes a bit of a mental leap here. This machinery is mean to use the ectoplasm to aid in the actualizing of the 'dream worlds' it creates. Not in this universe but in a pocket reality. With just a few adjustments here and there...

She floats the cylinder over to her constellation of tools and continues her work.

Geneva is listening to Eun, as it happens. But her attention here is divided. She can understand what Doctor Bu is going through here. Being confronted with evidence that your model for an important segment of reality is demonstrably wrong is always a jarring experience. But that is, as they say, how science goes. Letting her talk her way through it is probably the healthiest thing.

Lapis, meanwhile, has no idea what's going on but she can tell that Eun is upset and that it has something to do with her.

"Did I do something wrong Miss Eun?"
Lapis asks, full of earnest concern for the well being of her friend. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you mad."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Superhero Training]

"Well, damn." Thariza is impressed. "You are big. You'd feel right at home in the Black Citadel."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Superhero Training]

Ambrosia throws a glance at Thariza as the charr is staring at Emily. She had never complimented her size and she could be far larger!

Not in this puny human body of course, but her true form was far grander.
She was big damn it!

Then her attention returns to Emily. "Can you recall what pose you used back when you were young? Just making sure your difficulty in this pose isn't simply because of a lack of training."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

Emily lets her back hunch up again, and there's something dark in her eyes, "It was the same hunched posture you're looking at now, as a matter of fact. There was someone who tried to force me to keep my back straight, and I'd really rather not think about that asshole, if it's all the same."
Magtok
Pointy Eared Baby Devourer

Post by Magtok »

[Far Too Early]
► SHOW SPOILER
Elf.

Elf.

A filthy, dirty, barely clothed elf.

Oooooh, but not just any elf either, it's his step-daughter's elf. And...Wenomir's elf too? That shirt definitely isn't hers or Blanche's, but it looks exactly the right size for his loathed Conan cosplayer nemesis, which can only mean-

"Hi Anika. Excuse me, one second, I think I left something on my chair," he says, hurriedly turning back and shuffling past Cessie and Wenomir to return to the meeting room. He doesn't go anywhere near the chair he was seated at, however. No, instead he makes a beeline straight for the window, opens it up, and barring anyone trying to stop him, takes a leap right on through! After all, what better way to escape this social gathering and the concerning implications of that shirt than through an open window? It's a perfect, flawless, foolproof plan!
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

The liquid-filled core proves easy to open and Geneva can easily control it with her psychic abilities. Not too surprising - if it's sensitive enough to serve as an antenna for capturing stray thoughts of ordinary humans, the weakest telekinetic ought to be able to control its shape at will.

There is only enough mass there to make a tiny Mew - maybe 1/8 of Geneva's volume - but that's not an insurmountable problem. Once actualized, LB-M can grow to her full size the way living things usually do: by eating.

Meanwhile, LB2 muses on Eun's explanation. "Something about this sounds familiar, but I can't say why. I think your explanation is prompting me to look for a dataset that went missing before my assembly", the tiny robot chatters. "Hold on. I need my hologram for this."

After cooling sufficiently, the robot's projector turna back on, and the golden girl with her drawing board reappears.

There are several thick parallel lines on the board, with a thinner diagonal line intersecting with them.

"The thick lines are world lines of branes that have the same arrow of time", she explains, "the thinner line is that of an object that is moving from brane to brane. Of course, from the viewpoint of the object itself, it does not see this. It thinks it is moving along a single world line. Only if something forces it to remain in one brane...", she bends the thin line so that it now parallel with the upmost thick line, "... can it begin to notice. The causal pathways in different branes are not exactly identical, because the object does not exist in them before or after its passing. So, if the object compares a record of its own past with that of the brane it's forced in, it will eventually find a disperancy. What I mean is... I think your past theories may be better than you give them credit for. They seem to fail because the thing you're applying them to has changed behind your back."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Far Too Early]

"Uh-" Anika remarks as Magtok excuse himself.
"Crap, I scared him off, didn't I?" She asks once she's fairly sure he just jumped out of a window.

Maybe she should have worn pants.

Cessie has to restrain herself at this point. "I will be waiting in my office, Wenomir." She gives Anika and Blanche a nod before striding off.

Anika rubs the back of her head awkwardly. "I didn't mean to be standing right outside when you opened the door." She claims. "I just got impatient waiting so I figured I would try to listen in to see how long it would be until you were done- and that's when you opened it."

[Superhero Training]

Ambrosia gives Emily a curt nod out of respect. "My condolences. That sounds both twisted and cruel so let's not dwell on it and return to our lesson." The scholar looks between the two. "I asked both of you earlier to give me your observations of one another since it's what I always do when facing an opponent. Having additional reach means that I can fight defensively by punishing incoming attacks until I feel that I know my opponent well enough to start counterattacking. Thunder and lighting is what it's called, thunder being the period of calm where you are supposed to stand back and observe and lighting is when you strike. It's not a especially uncommon strategy but it takes time to master."

She nods to Emily. "How long have you trained in martial arts, Emily?"
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

"Depends on the exact definition of when I started," Emily says with some amusement, "My dad first started conditioning me for it when I bothered him to the point where he gave up on telling me he didn't want a fighter's life for me, which was when I was about nine years old. We got started on some basic understandings of the flow of kinetic energy when I was ten, but I turned out to be utterly terrible at wizardry, so modifying that kind of idea for physical motions was the next step," she puts the sword into her belt so that her hands are free for a moment.

"After that, I bothered a few bikers in my area to teach me brawling," She brings her fists up for a moment in a way that'd protect her head and let her lash out with powerful punches and could relatively easily be adapted for wielding a weapon, "A friend of my father taught me Jiu-Jitsu since he thought it would suit me," she falls into a stance in which her hands are held open in front of her with the palms facing a theoretical opponent at an angle and below her head with a wide stance for stability, "That's a grappling martial art for the record. And then a friend started coaching me on Muay Thai, which is a striking art based around eight points of contact on the body; fists, elbows, knees, and shins. I've kept up with practicing those ever since," this stance actually involves her straightening up somewhat as she balls up her fists and brings her forearms up to defend her upper torso and head, one knee raised up in front of the other leg for swift kicks and knees. She'd have precious little mobility though, unlike someone with a more human body type.

"So..." Emily considers for a moment as she falls back into a casual stance, out of the fighting poses she'd taken, "In aggregate, about sixteen or seventeen years learning a few different styles."
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Thursday Violist wrote: Feb 09, 2023 7:04 am [Labs]

"Um, w-well, basically...." the witch Awen says, to think of how to explain it.

With the welding torch off, she goes in more and gets closer.

Awen moves the mechanical arm's fingers, curling them in and flexing them over and over.

"Well, you see. It's. Um." Awen closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, to keep herself from stumbling over her words and rambling on about nothing. She then tries to get straight to the point: "It isn't really responding very well. I mean, sometimes it feels really stiff and hard to move. And other times it seems to be moving on its own, jerking around and moving very suddenly."

The mechanical arm, itself, is actually in fairly decent condition. Definitely has a lot of signs of excessive fatigue. Like it's been working far longer and harder than expected.
But that wouldn't explain what Awen's describing.
Rather, more importantly, it seems to have black shadowy tentacle things that are possessing it. Not currently at the moment. But it happens, as if a dark spiritual energy fills it and tries controlling it.
The fact that her fingers can move in ways a normal hand can is something I remember Mia mentioned when she made it. After all the machine isnt limited like a normal hand.

Mia looks at the hand and the aura she can see around it. Her face darkens as she notice that the spirit of the machine is in pain. Like if something posses another body the machine itself suffers under it. It shouldn't be that much of a problem to purify it again, but there are other things at hand.

"From your words I would have guessed a configuration is wrong or connections are broken, but this doesn't seem the case. Would you mind telling me what you did befor this behaviour occured? Like did someone touch it or did you get into contact with some strange objects."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

"That's reassuring." Eun mutters, resting her chin on her hand. "The laws of physics can just change when you're not looking. Lovely. Simply wonderful. Why do we even have science if that's the case?"

It does sort of throw a wrench in the whole concept of reproducibility, after all.

Eun's expression softens when Lapis weighs in, and she lets out a little sigh. "...No, Lapis. You're not doing anything wrong." She says quietly. "I'm just... a bit weary of seeing things that should be impossible. It's nothing to do with you." She offers Lapis a little hug for reassurance, not wanting to further hurt the little seraph's feelings.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Deciphering Cylinders]

Start of small and get bigger by growing.

That is, by and large, how new people WORK after all. Start off small and then steadily grow bigger. Mews are, of course, strange, given that they have two sets of DNA. One set of mew DNA which is largely shared between individuals save for whatever mutations might arise and one set corresponding to whatever species they were born as. Human, in Geneva's case. Human in LB-M's case as well, though obviously of no relation to Geneva. The cylinders contain instructions for their own avatars after all.

Anywho! Geneva is now placing the ectoplasm in an otherwise empty pokeball. The devices are, of course, designed to be able to digitize and actualize pokemon, so they make a good foundation for the process. From here it should be a relatively simple matter of transferring the information from her mind to the computer, then from the computer to the pokeball.

Well!

Here goes nothing!

Geneva settles the somewhat awkward looking data-transfer helmet over her tiny pink head and telekinetically flips a switch to begin the transfer. Not too terribly different from 'gifting' a pokemon, really.

Meanwhile!

Lapis gets a hug.

She also gets a thought.

"Impossible things like magic?" Lapis ventures. "Asami told me magic breaks the laws of science and that's bad right? You get in trouble for breaking laws. Are you talking about magic things?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Halae wrote: Feb 16, 2023 2:24 am [Superhero Training]

"Depends on the exact definition of when I started," Emily says with some amusement, "My dad first started conditioning me for it when I bothered him to the point where he gave up on telling me he didn't want a fighter's life for me, which was when I was about nine years old. We got started on some basic understandings of the flow of kinetic energy when I was ten, but I turned out to be utterly terrible at wizardry, so modifying that kind of idea for physical motions was the next step," she puts the sword into her belt so that her hands are free for a moment.

"After that, I bothered a few bikers in my area to teach me brawling," She brings her fists up for a moment in a way that'd protect her head and let her lash out with powerful punches and could relatively easily be adapted for wielding a weapon, "A friend of my father taught me Jiu-Jitsu since he thought it would suit me," she falls into a stance in which her hands are held open in front of her with the palms facing a theoretical opponent at an angle and below her head with a wide stance for stability, "That's a grappling martial art for the record. And then a friend started coaching me on Muay Thai, which is a striking art based around eight points of contact on the body; fists, elbows, knees, and shins. I've kept up with practicing those ever since," this stance actually involves her straightening up somewhat as she balls up her fists and brings her forearms up to defend her upper torso and head, one knee raised up in front of the other leg for swift kicks and knees. She'd have precious little mobility though, unlike someone with a more human body type.

"So..." Emily considers for a moment as she falls back into a casual stance, out of the fighting poses she'd taken, "In aggregate, about sixteen or seventeen years learning a few different styles."
[Superhero Training]

"Quite a lot of styles." Ambrosia comments thoughtfully as she observes Emily taking on different stances. Demonstrating her flexibility. "Especially for your age. I didn't start training until I was about fifteen." Still, her age gave her an advantage in this case. "And I've mostly focused on one style where you've gone for many. So what made you do it? What drives you to do all this?"
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Superhero Training]

"A few reasons," Emily shrugs, "My dad adopted me when he rescued me from a... bad situation. He built his life around helping people, and I want to do the same. Living up to his legacy was something I wanted to do ever since I met him. Then there's wanting to master a craft; exploring the intricacies of something, feeling everything there is to know about it, understanding the components well enough..." she closes her eyes, breathing in like she's remembering a particularly pleasant aroma, "I love that. The feeling is grand."

"Though, I'll admit to a more selfish motivation on top of that. I adore fighting; I love that moment between seconds, where success or failure is determined by split second decisions, bringing yourself against an opponent who can match you. It's the most exhilarating thing in the world to me, the place where I feel most alive."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Superhero Training]

Funny, her and Emily's pasts were similar in some ways yet so very different in others.
"So your father fight to protect others in need then? A noble lifestyle. I can see why you would want to emulate it. One has to pick the right fights though. The eagerness to battle is something that can betray you."

With those words she puts her hand on the hilt of her sword. "So I ask you this, do you wish to duel me, Emily?"