Magicbase Alexander

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
FireFox
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/She

Magicbase Alexander

Post by FireFox »

WORK IN PROGRESS THREAD OP
Please check back for more detail!

A star fort has been built outside any major political power's sphere of influence, on a small hill overlooking a crossroads between some free cities and towns. Diamond shaped bastions spotted with openings for cannons and guns jut out to cover interlocking angles of fire. A single tower, crowned with magical crystals and copper antennae, rises up 40 feet in the center of the fort. Armored soldiers equipped with halberds and crossbows stand guard at the main gate, but during the day they simply wave visitors right through.

Locations:
[Courtyard]

A wide open area between the entrance and the tower as well as the other buildings. An awning has been erected in one corner, alongside the fortified wall, over a wooden bar with several stools. But instead of drinks, adventurers can talk to a tall elf man in a Vulpanian army uniform to get bounties on monsters or jobs helping the garrison. The army is paying in silver coins and weapons.

[RMA Station]

The main entrance to the Magicbase's tower is secured by guards inspecting passes, but adventurers looking for work are directed around back, to a side door leading to a small office and a human woman in a wheelchair. The Royal Magic Agency always needs spell components and will pay for rare materials and useful secrets with magic items and divine support.

[RCA Station]

One of the magazines built into the ground to serve the defensive cannons has been emptied of shell and powder and provided with furniture and office supplies. More trusted contractors and sources of information are invited here to have a glass of wine and a nice chat with the human male Royal Clandestine Agency's Chief of Station. He pays well--in silver or favors--for any insights on the current state of the Nexus and may have special tasks he'd like accomplished discreetly.

[VIP Quarters]

The second floor of the tower is partitioned into small but pleasant apartments for honored guests and members of the Vulpanian Royal Family.
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Tags:
Beans
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Magicbase Alexander

Post by Beans »

[VIP Quarters]

A pretty, dark-haired woman with turkey vulture wings steps in; she's dressed pretty casually in a flannel shirt with the sleeves rolled up and jeans, as well as her ever-present leather gloves. Princess Caroline Vulpan is in the house.
"I'm pretty sure I saw one of my Dames promo posters in one of the break rooms she passed," she murmurs to her elven bodyguard, "next to one of the little mailmoth gal---I feel wildly appreciated." She chuckles softly.
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

[VIP Quarters]

"Guarding you was easier when nobody knew what you looked like," the dark-skinned elf mutters back as she walks through the apartment with one hand on her sword hilt. She checks out the bathroom, kitchenette, and bedroom before returning to her principal in the parlor.
"'Princess Who? When did we get a Caroline?' it was. And now everyone wants to stop us and talk whenever they see you. Touch your wings without asking."
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Beans

Post by Beans »

[VIP Quarters]

Carrie pats Trisula's shoulder. "Well, they're keeping you on your toes. The touching my wings bit is---yeah, that one's a bit silly, like, you folks do realize this Princess isn't divine? Not any more, at least. Maybe they're just really keen on picking up mites." She shrugs, heading into the kitchenette herself. "Anyway, this is the first time I've ever been a hot commodity, I'm gonna enjoy it at least a little. That, and I'd like to be at least somewhat relatable to my people, now that I have a 'my people'."

She pours herself a glass of water, checking if Tris wants one as well. "It'll be nice to catch up with Kyne and So."
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

[VIP Quarters]

Well that's probably enough anticipation, let's go catch up with Kyne and So. Trisula shows Caroline into her sisters' apartment and closes the door behind her, standing an uneasy watch in the hall outside. There's no point entering, much less clearing it room by room. She already knows Death waits inside.

Death waits inside on the couch, to be specific, patiently reading a book. One of those adventure pulps with a roguish, obnoxiously handsome protagonist; exotic and exciting locales; an implausible romance with a femme fatale; and lots of treasure at the end that won't impact the plot of the sequel. The owl-winged Goddess peeks over the top of the book at her vulture-winged sister. That she uncharacteristically doesn't rise to greet Carrie with a hug is perhaps the second indication something is awry.

The next sign is the sound of retching coming from the bathroom, followed by an emanation of a thoroughly displeased divine aura. What in heaven could make a Goddess ill?
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Beans

Post by Beans »

[VIP Quarters]

Carrie smiles at her sister. "Hey, So, what's---" She turns as she hears what sounds like Kyne throwing up. "Kyne? What's---is she okay?" Her eyes flick from Soteira to the bathroom door and back as she comes closer to the couch. "She get in a fight with a plague god or something?"
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

[VIP Quarters]

Soteira lowers the book occlusively over her lap and returns the smile, but it's noticeably strained. Nervousness for sure, but something else hard to place. "Hi Carrie, it's wonderful to see you again. Don't worry about her, she just... got sick." A pregnant pause or two. "This morning."
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Beans

Post by Beans »

[VIP Quarters]

Carrie frowns as she sits on the other end of the couch. "That's rough, I hope---wait, this morning?" She blinks, a little alarm bell going off in her head. "This mor---Soteira, hon, do you... perhaps have something you'd like to tell me?" She leans forward a little, eyes searching Soteira's face.
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

[VIP Quarters]

The Goddess of Death looks back with her pale green eyes, the color of a luna moth's wings but unnaturally bright. At least for a few seconds, until guilt or shame makes her blush and lower her gaze.

The bathroom door opens and the Goddess of Killing steps out, grumbling under her breath. "-nd after that I'm going to cut him into little pieces and then I'll bury each piece in salt, or lemon juice, or broken glass coated with chili pepper." Kynegetis' appearance hasn't changed all that much in the year or so since Carrie last saw her. But going from lithe and sharp to... faintly rounded is a single yet significant change. It's like drawing your rapier and finding it's now a katana. A katana with a baby bump. Gods save us all.
"Hey Carrie. You, um, caught us at a bad time?"
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Beans

Post by Beans »

[VIP Quarters]

Carrie looks at Kyne and stands, eyes fixed on her belly. "... Kyne, you're---you are!" She looks back at Soteira, then to Kyne again. "How are you holding up?" Of course, she's itching to ask the next question... and she's got a good idea of who Kyne will name as the father.
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

[VIP Quarters]

"How am I holding up? Look at me! I can't fight like this! My balance, my center of gravity, my muscle memory..." Kyne scowls indignantly, practically shaking with injured pride and fury at what's been done to her.

So stands up and pats the air soothingly. "Oookay, let's calm down. We knew what we were getting into, even if we were a little... under the influence." Now that the book is out of the way and she's standing up to let her white dress fall straight, her identical bump becomes obvious.
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Beans

Post by Beans »

[VIP Quarters]

Carrie looks from one to the other. "Both of---under the inf---okay. Okay." She takes a deep breath, pushing her glasses up to pinch the bridge of her nose. "... Mot's sake, it's who I think it is, isn't it?"
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

[VIP Quarters]

The sister Goddesses exchange complex looks that are the carrier waves for a silent dialectic. Then the Huntress sighs, bleeding out her wrath with arterial swiftness. "This isn't how I wanted to welcome you home."

She's not ignoring her guess. There's only been one person outside the Family she's ever mentioned in her letters over the last few years. She just assumes Carrie was asking a rhetorical question. It's not like she's embarrassed, or anything.
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Beans

Post by Beans »

[VIP Quarters]
Carrie replaces her glasses with a rueful smile. "And I'm not making the whole thing any easier by getting all ruffled." She steps forward, gently placing a gloved hand on her sister's arm.

Sister. How funny that this is what she can now accurately call the woman who, a handful-and-change of years ago, she was infatuated with. Time, circumstances, and adoption papers can change so much.

"Anything you need, I'm here for you."
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

[VIP Quarters]

"Thank you." Kyne puts her hand on top of Carrie's and manages a serious, appreciative smile before she changes gears again. Back to her usual self. "So I'm going to kill him, of course, but the difficulty lies in finding him. The specific clone, I mean. So you can help us track him down."

The Savior was waiting for things to calm down so she could finally give her sister a greeting hug and she has no patience to wait for after this escalation coasts back down. Best to just gently detach the vulture girl from the assassin and pull her into her arms and brown-and-white wings. "Kyne's having a hard time accepting this, but I'll thank you too. We both missed you."
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Beans

Post by Beans »

VIP Quarters

Carrie shakes her head. "Okay, when I said anything, assisting in tracking and murdering somebody wasn't what I had in mind. Not much of a tracker any more anyway." She hugs Soteira. "Missed you both too."

It's... it sure is a thing being with them again. Remembering her past with Kyne. That night with Soteira.

Being their sister now... complicates stuff.
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

[VIP Quarters]

"You're a fresh face, he won't suspect you," Kyne insists. "We know it was a clone, we just don't remember which one. All we can recall is that we, um, marked him-"

So opens her barn owl wings to bap Kyne upside the head and release Carrie from the hug, which was warm and tight to the point of suffocation. "Okay! I don't think you want to hear all that! Haha!" This was painfully awkward. Especially when she considers everything that happened with Carrie previously. Before she left to wander the earth for a few years. She only came back because their father offered to formally adopt her, right?
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Beans

Post by Beans »

[VIP Quarters]

Carrie winces. "And I thought the stuff I got up to when I was away counted as a relationship getting fraught... that, and the weird snakepit Queenie and Marel and the other kids are in. Anyway!" She squeezes each of their shoulders. "It's just... good to be back. Wouldn't be the Nexus without things being crazy, I guess."
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

[VIP Quarters]

The blonde Goddess blinks twice and sits down on the couch heavily as it suddenly hits her that her impending child will have to get along with all the cousins in the Family. Not just Carrie's adopted teenagers, but Matt's four kids, Angela's daughter, and any others she might not be aware of yet.

The other Goddess brushes a similar thought and her dark red hair out of her face, paying neither any mind while she paces an arc around Carrie. Studying her body and the muscle she's put on since they last were together. "Speaking of fraught relationships... and the Nexus... did you travel here with anyone?"
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Beans

Post by Beans »

[VIP Quarters]

Carrie half-sits on the arm of the couch as Kyne slowly circlestrafes. Yes, she should have expected something like this. "Here as in coming back to Vulpania, or here as in going from the Keep to here? The latter answer's just my guard Trisula." She looks at Kyne, searching her face. "The former, no. If I were bringing someone with me, you would have known from my letters." Her tone is gentle, casual. She doesn't blame Kyne for worrying about things being hidden from her.
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

[VIP Quarters]

"That's interesting. One of my girls saw somebody in Inside." Kyne's tone is casual too, like a normal patch of grassy earth under your feet. Her expression has just enough teasing in it to be clear she wants Carrie to know she's not that serious. But her eyes study her sister back, watching for a reaction as the trapdoor falls. "That Poneran girl you caused more than a couple commotions over. Rhett said he didn't smuggle her out of her country, this time, so I thought she was traveling with you."
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Beans

Post by Beans »

[VIP Quarters]

Ah, yes. Games, games, always games. But she's no longer the jumpy little thing Kyne met on the running track; she keeps her composure. "Agatha? No, I haven't seen her since before I went on my sabbatical." She tamps down the jolt of excitement and nostalgia. The twinge of wondering whether Agatha would feel the same hearing about her. "It'd be nice to see her again." She hopes so, at least.
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

[VIP Quarters]

Soteira swoops in to Carrie's rescue. "It would! We like her too; Kyne thinks she's doing good work in the Selinite Inquisition." She pats the thigh the vulture-winged woman is perching on the couch arm. "Even if we'll be busy with our search, I'm sure Rhett can help you call on her."

Kyne shrugs, the absence of a secret to uncover and tease the other woman with causing her to lose interest in the subject of Agatha. She resumes pacing like a caged tigress, her hand unconsciously resting on her belly.
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Beans

Post by Beans »

[VIP Quarters]

Carrie nods. "I'll have to check with him on that, yeah... but that can come later." She watches Kyne pace, glad the Huntress and Savior are at least okay with Agatha. She swallows down just how badly she wants to see her again---is it silly, being so wrapped up in a woman she didn't even spend half a year with, who she hasn't seen in years? Is it silly that Agatha's never left her mind? Kiss a girl three times and she's your soulmate?

She pushes all that to the side, tucking it away for later. "Anyway, anything I can do for you other than baby-daddy tracking? If he happens to have, like, an irresistible hunger for white chicken chili, I've got your back. Failing that, I've got a decent pair of listening ears."
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

[VIP Quarters]

"Kiss a girl three times and she's your soulmate" sounds like a demon curse. I don't think Princess Caroline should dismiss the possibility out of hand.

"I told Callie years ago we should just brand our individual Reins. I've considered implanting tracking chips as well, but I don't think they would work with all his shapeshifting,"
Kynegetis complains. "Carrie, I don't know what I'm going to do about this. I can't be trusted to bear a child, you know that."
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Beans

Post by Beans »

[VIP Quarters]

Carrie squeezes her shoulder again, putting a wing around her. "I know this is... a lot. I don't know how much I can do while you're still carrying the baby besides moral support. Once they're born, aunt powers activate! But I know that it's not an easy road to get there."
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

[VIP Quarters]

"Moral support is the best thing to have right now," Soteira cuts in a little too quickly, as if afraid of what Kyne might say next. The Savior's divine aura radiates comfort and calm, which struggles to overcome the Huntress' emanations of agitation and restlessness. "There's a lot of experience in our family we can draw on as well. ...Actually, Carrie, maybe there's something you can do for us. I have no idea how we're going to tell Dad."
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Beans

Post by Beans »

[VIP Quarters]
Carrie winces. "Yeah, I can imagine... I mean, it's gonna sound trite, but it's better to be straight-up about it, but if you want, I can be the the one delivering the news." She knows if... well, if Queenie or Marel were adults and got pregnant unexpectedly, she'd want to be told outright. She hopes she can make the best of the situation when she tells Tobias.
FireFox

Post by FireFox »

Beans wrote: ↑Nov 13, 2022 8:58 pm [VIP Quarters]
Carrie winces. "Yeah, I can imagine... I mean, it's gonna sound trite, but it's better to be straight-up about it, but if you want, I can be the the one delivering the news." She knows if... well, if Queenie or Marel were adults and got pregnant unexpectedly, she'd want to be told outright. She hopes she can make the best of the situation when she tells Tobias.
[VIP Quarters]

The Huntress' black lips turn at the corners as she jokes dryly. "Would you? We'd appreciate that, just give us time to evacuate the Keep first." You've got to be careful breaking bad news like this to a godslaying force of nature.
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Beans

Post by Beans »

[VIP Quarters]

Carrie sighs, adjusting her dead anime mom hair. "Hearing it from me might help him keep at least a semblance of his cool, if only to avoid accidentally taking my head off... still, I'll probably tell my girls to get themselves and the other kids out of the Keep for a bit when it's time to break the news."