Morty's Goblin Homes

Personal homes and private lots.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

"Yeah, I've got-" A voice can be heard from somewhere near Iknika, strangely distorted. She hisses something that sounds like "shut up". "I've got a problem that no one I know is qualified to deal with except you, babe. It involves a really annoying spirit. Can we meet? I'll explain everything then."
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

"Uh. Sure. Where and when?"
Technically Isaac has limited actual experience with spirits. He's just a spiritually blessed person. Though his magics do tend to be oddly effective against some specters.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

"You should come to Underside. I'm not sure if it's safe for me to go too far right now." Iknika sighs.
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

"Uh, okay. Give me half an hour."
Isaac quickly gets dressed in his more practical clothes, arms himself with his hammer and sets out to Underside. Naturally, he knows how to get there pretty quickly.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

And so Isaac will return to the twisting tunnels and cavernous spaces of Underside. Soon he finds himself in a subterranean fissure, with several rocky protrusions jutting out of it. One of those contains Iknika's family home, the rooms carved into the rock supplemented by several add-ons.

He will find his girlfriend in the living room, which is the central space of the house, filled with rather... low furniture. Which combines goblins' small size and their seeming preference for half-laying down or sitting on cushions while eating. Iknika is surrounded by fretting family, but this time they seem actually glad to see Isaac too.

"Isaac! Thank the ancestors you're here," she says. She then glares over her shoulder. "Though they did kind of get me into this trouble to begin with..."

If Isaac can perceive spirits, he will see one right above Iknika's shoulder. Seems to be a human-sized figure, clad in mail armor and an elaborate surcoat, holding a spear and a shield. A helmet with a stylized pair of wings rests on his head and the face under it is covered in tattoos.
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

Isaac enters carefully, but is somewhat relieved that he there isn't some terrible threat or trap Iknika was being coy about. Looks like a regular old haunting. Still bad, but he doesn't seem to be holding her hostage or something. Isaac also feels good about wearing his more formal clothes for this particular spirit. He seems...formal.
"Hello, Iknika. It sounds like you've had an eventful day." he looks at the spirit and inclines his head.
"And good day to you, Ser."
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

"Aha! Is this lad your beau, young one? A fine enough choice... a human, but still, better than one of your own kind. Greetings to you, boy."

Iknika grimaces.

"I sure did. And I've had to deal with that ever since the ancestor ritual."

Iknika's mother, hovering nearby, sighs. She's a thin woman with angular features. A rather cold and standoffish person, who has nonetheless warmed up to Isaac. Having a gnome niece she's very fond of helped.

"Just in case, we can't hear anything this spirit says. Just whispers and suggestions. But... it? He? Appeared after Iknika performed a rite to honor our ancestors for the first time. She's reached the age where she can do it."
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

"That's racist. I ask you not say such things about Iknika's people." Isaac says formally, making a flicking motion at the spirit. The force of the 'blow' is displaced to where the spirit is choosing to appear. Isaac mostly wants to test if his magic can touch the spirit. Sometimes it just can.

Isaac turns his attention back to Iknika.
"Tell me everything that happened, as detailed as you can."
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

"You are blinded by your affection, young one, but do not take this brave knight as indicative of the lot. They are craven, conniving creatures."

"I conducted my first ancestor prayer ceremony today." Iknika struggles to talk over the knight's condemnation of her species. "I'd participated before, but only as a spectator. Today I put on the robe, lit the incense and called out to our ancestors. And... I felt a tug. Or a gust of wind? Which is weird underground, obviously. And before I knew it, this tin can was in front of me, going on about my valor and how he never expected it from a goblin."

"I say! I was floating on the ethereal currents, morose and homeless... but then I heard her voice! And saw her heart, one too big for her stunted frame."
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

"No I think I'm blinded by the incredible dazzling light of not being racist." he responds flatly.

"You want me to evict this guy? Sounds an awful lot like he claimed you as a vessel without your consent. If I can't hit him I can get the Grandmaster in here." He offers another flick of force at the spirit.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

The elven knight raises his shield to deflect the flick of force.

"Evict me? But I have nowhere else to go. I was driven off my sanctum, my anchor. Would you have me return to floating in the mists?"

"I'd obviously like him gone, yes. I still have no idea how it happened. It's not like I was doing any magic or anything."

"Ah, but you did open yourself to the spirit world, young knight. Even if you didn't know it."
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

"That sucks, but that doesn't give you the right to possess random people without their consent. If you'd been one of those gross spirits that start physically and mentally screwing with their hosts we wouldn't even be having this conversation." Iknika doesn't seem to be getting taller or being brainwashed so that's good.
"How did you get booted from your sanctum? Did a stronger spirit roll in?"
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

"Why, the very suggestion!" The knight's ghost bristles. "I am a knight in the Lady's service! A valiant defender of the Autumn Lands! I would never stoop to such foul tricks. But if you must know, I was evicted from my sanctum by these creatures' larger, surface-dwelling cousins. Their shamans wove their enchantments and carved me out."

"Oh boy. He's talking about hobgoblins." Iknika doesn't sound thrilled.
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

"Did you ask this particular lady for permission before using her as a vessel? Because it sounds an awful lot like you didn't. Did your Lady give you permission to invade random mortals?"

He turns his attention to Iknika. "I mean, I've met at least one hobgoblin. He's nice. What's wrong with them?"
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

"My boy, I am but a spirit, not one of her living knights. I do as spirits must."

"Nothing's wrong with them, but they don't like us." Iknika sighs. "And many of us don't like them. It's an old, stupid grudge. And it won't make things easier for us."
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

Isaac's glasses show his very exaggerated eye-roll at the spirit's justification.
"Well, I can go in your name for the first impression at least. Unless they dislike humans too. Or loxodons? I guess I would be asking what they've been doing to temples of-
Hey buddy, who's your Lady that they were messing with the temple of?"
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

"They don't mind humans as much and they've probably never met a loxodon. It's worth a shot."

Meanwhile, the elf huffs.

"The Lady is who I served in life, lad. Now I am but a spirit. The sanctum was merely a spiritually potent place where I could rest."
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

"Alright. Where can I find them? Bare minimum I can ask them if they know of any other places so Lancelot here doesn't have to couch-surf in people's brains."
If the Lady is who he served in life she's undoubtedly dead now. Or maybe not if she's an elf. It hardly matters either way.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

"My name is not Lancelot! I am... I am..." The spirit trails off. "I have sworn an oath not to reveal my name."

Iknika looks up at the spirit incredulously.

"I think they built a town a ways off from here, in the foothills. We should probably start there."

"Yes, indeed! I was inhabiting a lovely brook in the wooded hills before those brutes arrived."

"...and I'm not sure if I should come with, given my passenger."
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

"It's okay, Iknika. Just give me directions. I'll make sure I look very formal. Unless they have any particular taboos, I think I'll be okay."
Isaac rarely uses his regalia, as it's more or less all loaned from the monastery. But it's his by right until his death so if he needs to look fancy to see a shaman, he can do it.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

Iknika gets up and goes to give Isaac a big hug. Despite being much smaller than him and bound to remain this way, her embrace is very energetic. All this training is paying off.

"Just be careful. Don't get into too much trouble, okay?"
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

Isaac returns the hug. He's worked out quite a bit since they met but she's probably still stronger than him. At least when he's human.

Speaking of that particular difference, later that day Isaac will set out for the hobgoblin's settlement in his other form. Notably because he has no way of getting there quickly which means he has to do quite a bit of walking in the summer heat. And well, he'd much rather do so in his body that's adapted for that.
Wearing his full regalia is absolutely out of the question, though. That's for special appearances, not long treks across the plains. He'll take his hammer-staff, his bracelets, and the tusk decorations but eschew the heavy robe in favor of a much lighter one that leaves more of his skin exposed. Hopefully that's enough to make him look important. It's not really his style but when it comes to spiritual matters, better to honor the culture of his mentors who taught him such things.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

The settlement might be larger than Isaac expected. It consists of a more permanent cluster of buildings atop a series of hills, surrounded by a more transitory tangle of tents, huts and encampments. Just like Iknika said, the inhabitants here are somewhat larger than her kin and their skin has various shades of grey and yellow. But they're clearly goblins nonetheless.

The arrival of an elephant-person, especially one clearly making an effort to look important, doesn't go unnoticed. He's spotted long before he reaches the outskirts and a hobgoblin man astride a very large, grey boar comes riding out to greet him.

"Uh... halt, stranger. What brings us to our settlement?"
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

”I am Isaac, of Elephant Rock. I wish to speak to your shaman.”
He considers the term.
”Or equivalent. The terminology isn’t the important part. Your person of spiritual significance.”
He’s not great at being formal.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

The hobgoblin blinks as his boar snorts loudly. It seems that these hobgoblins have a way with boars like Iknika's people have with wolves. They manage to make highly dangerous animals accept them as riders.

"Shaman works well enough. But what business do you have with her?"
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

"I speak for a spirit who claims your shaman recently displaced him while consecrating his home for your people's use. Either way the spirit is now belligerently haunting people. I wish to discuss what to do with your shaman, is all." Isaac explains, deciding to simply be truthful on this one.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

Isaac's claim tells the guard two things. One, this is above his paygrade. Two, the stranger clearly knows what he's talking about so if he sends him off to the head shaman, it won't be wasting her time. Probably.

"You're going to have to go around the walls of the settlement and head through the hills into that small grove." He points towards a somewhat distant cluster of trees at the edge of the camp. "That's where the shamans maintain our shrine."
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

"That sounds about right from what the spirit was whining about. Thanks."
Isaac waves and continues off in the direction of the grove.
He's definitely happy he shifted for this. It's hot out and he'd be sweating like mad if he was still human.
User avatar
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 2673
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 10:59 pm
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

The path towards the grove is narrow and only barely qualifies as a path at all. But aside from its being cleared out and somewhat trodden down, there's another clear indication that he's getting somewhere. The trees are hung with chimes, charms and figurines. They make a constant soft, dissonant noise as the wind moves them. It's subtle, but this sound can definitely be heard in the spirit world as well. True to the elven knight's word, a brook flows downhill amidst the trees.

Closer to the top of the hill, the trees finally clear out, revealing a shrine. It's built on top of the brook, wooden walls crested with a thatched roof. The charms and chimes are hung up on the trees around it as well, more densely. Between them are banners or festoons of sorts. It all seems very chaotic and haphazard, but there's an odd method to it. The entire arrangement has been created to focus the spirits' attention in a way that the hobgoblins want.

Speaking of which, Isaac will be greeted by a small, wrinkly hobgoblin woman in a coarse wool robe, supporting herself with a staff. Though bent down with age, her eyes are clear and piercing. A young hobgoblin man in a similar robe is following her around to support her.

"Well, well. Our guest is here, I see."
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

Well if nothing else Isaac is much more comfortable in the grove's shade than out in the sun.
He bows his head at his host, then raises a hand in a less formal greeting.
"That I am. Saw me coming, huh?" He leans forward, leaning on his own staff a bit.
"Guess that means I should ask if you also already know why I'm here?"
Post Reply