Morty's Goblin Homes

Personal homes and private lots.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

The shaman begins tapping her cane against the ground in a complex rhythm, her voice rising in a guttural chant. As Isaac and the Grandmaster follow her, the air around the circle and within it shimmers. It grows cold and stale, as if becoming much older within seconds.

As the ritual progresses, Isaac will find his consciousness pulled towards the centre of the circle. Once there, he'll feel as though he's standing next to Iknika and the spirit... but the spirit is gone.

The world outside the circle, including Isaac's physical body, blurs. Isaac and Iknika are left standing in a liminal space. The outside is seen as though through a curtain of rain and there's a suggestion of something unfathomably massive waiting beyond that curtain at the same time. An unsounded depth beyond plumbing or even comprehending.

They still can't see the elven spirit, but they will instead see many images spinning around them, darting in and out of view and dancing through the edge of the circle. They show elven knights in battle, at court and kneeling before a feminine figure of dazzling beauty. There are also images of other warriors, but they're less distinct.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

Isaac finds himself pulled into the spiritual space contained in the ritual circle. To Iknika, Isaac appears as both of his shapes superimposed on each other, the spectacled blond human in a simple T-shirt and jeans and the pale loxodon in full regalia.

Isaac reaches out to squeeze Iknika's shoulder.
"Alright, Iknika. Can you hear me? We know what you need. We need to pull the spirit into that instead of all this nonsense. Are you ready?" he whispers.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

"I can hear you." Iknika stares at their surroundings with wide eyes. "This spirit... we can't make it a goblin ideal of knighthood because we don't have one. But you know what I've always wanted? A beetle mount. I can have a spirit beetle companion."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

"If you think we can get him into a shape that specific, sure. But yeah, at bare minimum we need to get rid of this courtly stuff, this obsession with this Lady. And the race stuff, ick. That's never been your brand of knights. I've met your teacher. You two have always been about honor and heroism. And maybe saving a prince from time to time." Isaac winks. "But that's an ideal. So don't say you don't have one! Now we just need to figure out how to work the beetle into that, and work him into that part."
Isaac has to keep repeating in his head that the spirit is NOT a person. It's a reflection of an ideal that can talk as if it was.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

"I think... what he was saying was just words. That's all spirits have, most of the time." Iknika speaks slowly, working the thoughts over in her head. "We should give the spirit a purpose. Something it can do. Spirit! Can you hear me? What do you want to do?"

The answer that comes isn't words, but ideas. A focus on some of the images that float around them. The spirits wants to act, something that is normally impossible for spirits. They're pure information, ideas and concepts, lacking the weight to inflict their will.

"I can be your anchor. You can help me be the knight you were formed from."

The spirit wants to do it. But it can't anchor itself to Iknika, or it will risk repeating the original problem. Can they give it a physical anchor Iknika can keep with herself? Its attention, if it has one, turns to Isaac.

[Underside]

Olvisin's crew brought the eggs from Skyside, being very careful to shelter them from any light. Since then they've been kept in a pitch-dark space underground, where even goblins have trouble seeing. Olvisin periodically comes in to check on their progress and a veteran wolf-rider named Krivka seems to have taken an interest. But they can only wait for them to hatch.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Underside]

Guessing those Goblins also have some ways to research about those monsters theycan create proper hatching places. They would require a something to warm them, but that shouldn't be a problem. On top the egg are rather durable as the rocks they put on them in the cave haven't scratched them at all.

((I think I haven't numbered the eggs yet? At last I can't recall I did. So let's say there are 4, unless anything else on the goblin side would limit that))

There will be a month past the time they found the eggs befor the first egg hatches. All starts by some noise simular to someone knocking as the monster babys slam against the inside of the egg. That might be missed as it's only for a shor while befor the first one breaks. Then it is kinda impossible to miss a change in sound as the baby releases a high pitch noise simular to a tinitus. The monosters are around cat sized at that stage and appear much like a new born kitten. Only mayor difference (other then the size) is that on this backs aresmall black parts. Those are much likly the sport where the tentakles will grow. All in all it will resemble the parent creature, just shrunk down and with a head relativly larger to their body.

After the first one it only takes minutes befor secound and third hatch as well. Those are slightly larger and might resemble the mother monster as their tentakle spots are larger and Nr. 3 seems to have six sport instead of four.

The last egg (the smallest one) doesn't hatch for soem reasone. If anyone was present they heared the same knocking as the others had but even an hour after the others hatched nothing happened and the knocking stoped.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

Isaac nods. He reaches into a pocket hidden in his robe and pulls out a pin: a small brass beetle with beady eyes of red glass.
"I was going to give it to you as an anniversary present when this was all over, but I think it'll be suitable. I'm just glad I didn't go with something that can rust." He holds it out to Iknika to present to the spirit. It's attached to her after all.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Underside]

"Well, those things are just adorable. We'll have to- aaagh!" Olvisin's ears press against her head.

"Yes, the noise will be a problem." Krivka seems less bothered by it than Olvisin and replies with some humor.

"Let's get the others and give them some food. And check on that last egg."

The two will call on some other animal handlers and enter the dark cave with food for the newborns. Olvisin and Krivka will crouch down next to the last egg, listening closely. Is anything still moving there?

[Spiritual Matters]

Iknika's eyes open wide and she grins.

"Aww! That would be a great gift even without all this. But now it's perfect. Remind me to kiss you silly when we're done here."

After this declaration, she presents the pin to the spirit.

"This is a sign of my young lord's favor, to show that I'm his knight-protector. You can stay here and help me be the knight I'm meant to be."

There's no surge of power or obvious supernatural display, but there is a sudden lurch in the air, as if entering some different state. The beetle's eyes gleam and suddenly a massive spectral beetle manifests next to Iknika. It raises its head towards the young couple.

"I will remain here and come at your call. Be the greatest knight you can be, Iknika."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

Well, that was oddly painless. Perhaps the spirit only needed a nudge in the right direction after all. Isaac puts a hand around Iknika's shoulder.
"Well, congrats. You've solved your first spirit quest. I think we just need to wait for the shaman to notice the spirit has changed and fish us out."
Which shouldn't take too long. Once they stop funneling power into the ritual circle their minds should return to their bodies.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Morty wrote: Oct 28, 2023 7:39 pm [Underside]

"Well, those things are just adorable. We'll have to- aaagh!" Olvisin's ears press against her head.

"Yes, the noise will be a problem." Krivka seems less bothered by it than Olvisin and replies with some humor.

"Let's get the others and give them some food. And check on that last egg."

The two will call on some other animal handlers and enter the dark cave with food for the newborns. Olvisin and Krivka will crouch down next to the last egg, listening closely. Is anything still moving there?
[Underside]

these monster babys don't seem to have a special appetite related to food. For the first weeks they only feed on their mothers milk, which happens to be dead, but like for other animals you can get a decent replacement. So they will get fed as they stumble around with closed eyes. Should any of them get exposed to light they soon get burnt so sources tell that their adaption to passiv light needs a few months.

The resources also mention that they get fed chewed meat after a month. Most sources speculate that this way they got already trained on what to hunt. But those speculations have no futher data. It is after all dangerouse to even keep track of those beasts.

Since they get there soon after the others hatched they might hear something moving inside, throwing himself at the walls or maybe just stumbeling around. The sound will start to lower and at a point even stop. In reports it is mentioned that the mother beast ignores unhatched eggs and later breaks them with her jaw. In most cases the creature inside is already that at this points or dies when the mother opens it, likly a sign that those beasts aren't willing to have weak kids.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Underside]

As the other monster-cubs feed, Olvisin and Krivka try to make a crack in the egg with a chisel. Hopefully it weakens it enough that the creature can get out.

[Spiritual Matters]

"First spirit quest? I'd hope there aren't any more, this was hard enough."

It indeed doesn't take too long for the ritual to stop and the two youngsters to return to their physical selves. The shaman cackles and taps the ground with her cane.

"Worked like a charm, didn't it? That will teach them to tell me I'm getting too old for this. Good work, everyone."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

Isaac blinks and his back in his body. He smiles, bowing to the shaman.
"Anyone who says that to you is a fool. Thanks for your help." he intones. Though that worked so well he's almost unsure why the hobgoblins didn't do so. Well, the most likely reason is likely that the shaman couldn't perform such a ritual alone and shooing the spirit away probably took a lot less effort.
Still, Isaac groans and goes to pick up the brick again.
"Guess I should get you home, huh Grandfather?"
"I do apologize for the trouble. But ghostly hands aren't good for loads." shrugs the loxodon specter apologetically.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

"It's not every day I get to meet a whole different kind of spirit. And such a polite one, too." The shaman grins. "As for you, young lady... hopefully when you come home you'll tell your kinsfolk that we're not as bad as they make us out to be, eh?"

"...yeah. Of course, I can do that." Iknika nods. Isaac can tell that the request took her off-guard.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

"See, I knew this would work out." Isaac was at least hoping that the goblin grudge was ill-founded. But he is certainly stretching the truth of his confidence on the matter.
He glances down at the brick in his hands.
"I don't suppose your new friend could help me with this...?" It took a lot of energy to carry it all the way here!
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

"I'm also going to tell people that you're a fine and polite young lady and that goblins aren't the underground metal-worshiping heathens they think you are. Not that anyone's likely to listen. They think I'm going batty in my old age."

"It's worth a try. Let's see..." She touches the pin and the spectral beetle appears again - complete with a saddle, even. It's less transparent here in the physical world, instead having a silvery sheen. Iknika mounts up a little awkwardly. "Here we go. I can carry your elder's rock."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

"I'm sure Grandpa won't mind." Isaac grins as he ties the brick onto the saddle.
"Come find me in the city if you have a problem that needs smashing and your own aren't enough for some reason. I owe you one." he tells the shaman before taking his place at the beetle's side. It is sadly not large enough for both him and Iknika.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Morty wrote: Nov 02, 2023 7:24 pm [Underside]

As the other monster-cubs feed, Olvisin and Krivka try to make a crack in the egg with a chisel. Hopefully it weakens it enough that the creature can get out.
[Underside]

With the crack they can now hear something inside, but it sounds weak in relation to the others. It doesn't seem to have much strength left to break out again. What may draw the goblins attention with this one is that it's fur seems to be much brighter, still grey, and where the others got black spots for the tentacles this one seems to have white spots.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Underside]

Olvisin and Krivka will break the rest of the egg if they need to, to ensure the cub gets out.

"Poor little guy."

"I wonder if it's an albino. I think its parents would leave it to die in the wild. As it is, we'll have to watch it closely. Hopefully its siblings won't mistreat it."
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Underside]

It seems to be nessesary to break the egg open as the creature inside isn't even trying anymore when they got a look at it. It is extremly weak and needs more attention then the others.

For the beginning the goblins might not notice a bad treatment as they (I assume) provide enougth food for every one of them. If those beasts would be fed simular to the mother they would fight over it causing the white one to never get enougth food. It should also be noted that the first three get even noisier as they feed and grow. There body getting more in shape and the tentacles start to grow as well. The white one on the other hand grows much slower. Something seems off with it, but any medical inspection doesn't find a clue of an illness or anything.

Since the creatures are blind they stumble around the are they are in, playing only in occasion they find each other. It takes around 4 weeks befor they open their eyes much likly to the fact that they wouldn't see anything unless their eyes developed the night vision. That moment/time might be important as it is simular to most creatures. They imprint the first person they see as their parent.

Still the white one won't open it's eyes at that time for unknown reasons.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Underside]

The black cubs will likely imprint on some goblins in charge of this particular nursery. Krivka is keeping her distance, as she has enough work with her riding-wolf to be taking care of an unfamiliar creature as well (much as she suspects her children would adore it).

Olvisin, however, continues her interest in the sickly white cub. She will come to the cave one day and crouch next to it, reaching out with her metal hand.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Underside]

The black ones will treat the respective Goblin as their mother, Greeting them when arriving with their loud shriek and following them as far as possible.

The white one will not react at first. It's likly that without the eyes it can't see the arm, but after a while it seems to smell the difference. Curiouse of whatever is in front of it it sniffs more. Then out of nowhere it tries to snap the hand. It's not really strong enougth to do any harm, but the little one tries his best. It does appear rather cute as it tries to hold his bite even if
Olvisin takes her arm away. It will be hanging off the arm unless removed and follow it's smell.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Underside]

Olvisin can't help but grin. Isn't that just adorable. She'll lift her arm along with the cub and bring it closer to her shoulder and chest. See if it recognizes the smell of her organic body.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Underside]

The small one takes the smell in as the arm she just smelled had a simular smell on it. But when brought to her body the small one clumsyly atemps to get under her clothes since it feels the warmth of a living body.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Underside]

"Looks like someone made a new friend." Krivka laughs as she observes from the sidelines. Olvisin squirms, but lets the cub get under her clothes. She awkwardly pats it through her shirt.

"I guess I did. Not the way I ever imagined getting a pet."
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Underside]

It will accept the petting, but it will move around.
From this on the white one will follow her any time she is near.

As time passes the creatures develope differently. The one with six tentacles has been the biggest one and seem to grow faster then the others. Not like it would be outgrown in a month but in relation to the others it gains more weight and all.

The male one seems to start developing the smoke as it sometimes caugths out a small black cloud.

Then something unexpected happens. Once the goblins come to take care of them and Olvisin is not around, the white one sneaks through the closing door rushing out. Since it eyes are still closed it runs straight at the next all where it stops and sniffs for Olvisin's smell. It immediatly heads for the smell which lead him into a floor with light, but instead of starting to get burnt it instead opens it eyes. Confused by this new ability it starts a very high pitched loud shriek, much louder then it has ever performed. It even seems to have tears in it's eyes.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Underside]

There's a brief panic as the white cub is exposed to light, which is quickly replaced by surprise and confusion. The caretakers will take the critter to be examined and hopefully calm it down, while someone calls for Olvisin to come as quickly as she can.

When Olvisin does come, she'll rush quickly to the cub's side.

"It opened its eyes in the light?"

"Yes, yes," one of the caretakers says. "And isn't burned by it. It must be some kind of mutation or abnormality in the species. One that would have small odds of surviving in the wild."
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Underside]

The small white one won't quiet down unless Olvisin appears. It even tries to breath which mostly looks like it just caugths. If it wouldn't be in such a miserable state it might have managed to simulate the smoke ability, which could be different for this one taking all they know about it into account.

The creature doesn't immediatly recognize Olvisin. Mostly because it never saw her befor, but after she get's close the creature recognizes the smell and tries to comfort itself when it gets pet by her.

The odds are close to Zero taking into account that near all wild versions end up dead in their own egg. Yet the question is what else could be different, right? And maybe does it need any other caretaking?
It will eat as befor, Milk, Prepared meet for a toothless creature but what else would it consume?

The next days will properbly hard as the crearure sometimes appears overwhelmed but it's new ability to see. often enougth it runs against walls, people and stuff as it hasn't adjusted to his vision yet.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Underside]

Olvisin will stay close to the white cub as it adjusts to its new sense of sight. She will try to help it learn to get around, by simple exercises.

The animal trainers keep their distance to avoid scaring it, but they're discussing this development fervently. This is a scientific discovery.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Underside]

The normal version in the cave grow just as documented. Only the 6 tentacle one seems to get brave as it is bigger then the others and properbly will have more tentacles. it will herase the others which makes it the leader of the groupe. If the white one is send back to them it's likly to be bullied by the other three. For some reason they feel that it was in contact with light and they seem to dislike that.

The white one on the other hand will try to keep near Olvisin as they assumed any other person coming closer will encounter the ear pitching shriek. at some point it might accept them when Olvisin is interacting with them and seems to like them. With the help it will get used to see and develop the lighted cave more, It does after all not leave the cave to the open sun, maybe that is some kind of instinct inherited from it's kind. The trainers could easily assume it wouldn't hurt the white one.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Underside]

The trainers will keep the white cub away from the others after realizing they'll mistreat it. They'll also try to introduce it to progressively brighter lights, trying to see if it eventually causes discomfort or pain.

The goblins name the species "deep prowlers", which is obviously better than any names topsiders might have given them. Olvisin, for her part, calls the white cub Quisp, which seems to be a cultural reference of some kind in her mother language. She'll also try to determine if it's a boy or a girl.