Morty's Goblin Homes

Personal homes and private lots.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Morty »

Underside is a vast complex of caves and tunnels stretching under the Nexus. It's inhabited by the usual variety of subterranean folk and creatures, which includes a sprawling, teeming colony of goblins. Which includes Reelshka's extended family, as well as that of Brinika and Cheasadh.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: Underside

Post by Rebonack »

[The Trollfinger Residence]

Wow, this is actually pretty cool.

Honestly Khannie wasn't quite sure what she was expecting. Everything feels a little cramped, but that was more or less what she WAS expecting. But everything else? Hmm...

Maybe not cramped.

Cozy.

Cozy is definitely a better word.

"The dwarves at the fortress under Glog braid their hair a lot, too. The girls AND the boys,"
Khannie recollects from her trip down there. "Arthfael hasn't got a beard, though."

Not even a scraggly one!

Then she flashes a mischievous grin at Arthfael. "I could probably recolor the ribbons for you if pink isn't your color. Definitely wouldn't let the illusion slip at the most embarrassing time possible."

Not a chance. Zero percent risk.
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

[Trollfinger Residence]

"Dye." Arthfael snarks back, before realizing that could be taken the wrong way. "I mean, I'd rather we dye them or something, if there aren't any other colors."

Not that he doesn't trust Khannie, but he's sure she can't maintain the illusion at a distance, so if he leaves the house still done up that way, he'll end up looking foolish the moment she's out of range.

Well... more foolish.

"...We should go ahead and get going."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Trollfinger Residence

"I was kinda hoping I'd get them back, since even with illusion you don't have enough hair to have braids full-time. So I'd prefer you didn't dye them, thanks." Cheasadh also tries shushing Khannie's offer of illusion; embarrassing the strigoi boy was pretty much her entire plan. She'll head off to grab her ribbons anyway, bringing back a pink box filled with ribbons, hair clips, and scrunchies, most of it pink or lavender.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Trollfinger-Sneergrim Residence]

"There's nothing embarrassing about pink, you know." Brinika is sitting cross-legged on one of the cushions. "Perfectly respectable color. It makes Cheasadh stand out a bit, because goblins don't use it much. But maybe she'll be a vanguard of new fashion. Goblins don't do a lot with beards, though. Not many of us can grow those."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Trollfinger Residence]

Cheasadh gets a playful raspberry for her chiding look at Khannie.

"Pink's a great color. I'm not a huge fan, though,"
Khannie admits. She mostly goes with browns and purples herself.

No reason to disparage pink, Arthfael.

"The dwarf kids grow beards even when they're little. I wonder why some people get 'em and others don't. None of the fox folk really get beards, either. Wouldn't that look kind of funny, though? A fox with a beard like a goat?"

Goats are really the only animal Khannie can think of that gets beards aside from humans and some human adjacent folks like dwarves.

Once the box of hair accessories appears Khannie will begin rummaging through it for something good. Where to start...
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Trollfinger Residence]

"Well, obviously it's a great color." Arthfael replies, slightly indignantly. "To the point of being a key component in good luck charms back home. Knights going into battle would tie pink ribbons on under their armor. The catch is that it has to be a particular shade of pink derived from your own diluted blood, or else the spirits that bring the luck get offended and go out of their way to make you suffer instead." He gives Cheasadh a little smile and shrugs. "I'm pretty sure that's not what's going on here, though, so I'd appreciate it if we skipped them. If, ah, it's all the same to you."

If challenged on this "fact", Arthfael will pull out his phone and pull up "Siana >:(" from his contact list, handing it to the skeptic in a nonverbal dare to confirm what he said with an expert.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Trollfinger Residence

"That leaves you rather limited for choice, if you don't want pink. Which is a pity; I think pink would suit you." Cheasadh also digs through, and... well, there's lavender and other shades of pale purple, a few dark pinks that look like red in the right light, and some white ones. "Beards are weird. Like, growing hair on you face just... seems kinda odd. Why'd anyone want any? It just seems like it'd get in the way of, y'know, eating and collars." Gnomes can grow beards, mostly goatees, but Cheasadh's bio-father didn't have one so she's not aware how common it is.

Morty

Post by Morty »

[Trollfinger-Sneergrim Residence]

"Well, okay. If pink is culturally significant this way, we can skip it." Brinika seems willing enough to believe Arthfael's explanation. "What about purple? We have purple. We can ask someone with a beard how it feels sometime. But it'd probably be rude. Goblins can grow facial hair sometimes, but not often. Not like humans. But then some humans also have a lot of trouble with it."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"If any spirits start bugging you I'll deck 'em," Khannie offers, pounding one fist into her palm by way of threat to any wily spirits hanging around who might decide to harass her friend.

Given what Khannie does in her free time there's a pretty solid chance she COULD punch a spirit.

Frankly she could do this BEFORE she was a magical girl, too.

Shadow punch is pretty great for clobbering spooks.

"Neh I guess the purple ones are okay?" Khannie reasons as she gets to work on braiding Arthfael's hair. Sadly it is WAY shorter than ideal for making braids. "My dad shaves, I think? I've never seen him with a beard before."

Now she's imaging what Jace with a beard would look like.

Like...

One of those really long wizard beards!
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"Not sure how you'd manage that. Spirits aren't a thing you can deck. At least not where I'm from." Arthfael tries to explain, holding as still as he can as the girls work. "They're not really physical the way you and I are. I mean, they are, but they're really small, so they don't really count for anything..." He fumbles for a minute, before remembering one of Khannie's interests that might be helpful in explaining the concept. "They're points, see. Like in maths. No height, no width, no depth, but they're still there. And since they don't take up any space at all, they can't touch anything properly, and nothing can really touch them, either. It'd be like trying to punch a piece of paper lengthwise, only so much worse. (Ow! Mind your nails!)"

Besides, recently, if Arthfael finds himself surrounded by spirits, he put them there himself. It'd be best if Khannie didn't punch them.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Trollfinger-Sneergrim Residence

"Sorry, Arthfael. I'm not used to doing this to someone else's hair." Cheasadh will try to be more gentle in future, though it's not entirely clear if her nails were the issue. She'll smile as she works, probably the individual most used to tying knots in ribbons and hair.

Morty

Post by Morty »

"Those sound really different from the spirits that protect GLoG. And that Uncle Pathfinder talks to," Brinika observes. "I've never seen one, mind you. Uncle can see them because he's a shaman. Aunt Reelshka can because the spirits gave her a gift. And their kids can because of who their dad is, I think."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"Sounds like you guys just aren't trying hard enough," Khannie retorts to Arthfael, making a few punching motions for good measure. "If they're just points then that means you can punch, like, infinity of them at once."

Would that even work?

Khannie isn't sure but that wouldn't stop her from trying.

She isn't helping with the hair braiding. Mostly she's just watching at the moment.

"The spirits I know are like... ghosts. Or other things. Like elemental spirits I guess? But I don't know if they're small. Because aren't elementals and things big? I dunno if those are actually REAL or just a video game thing."

This is the Nexus, Khannie. Everything is real here.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"Believe me, if there's one problem my family generally doesn't have, it's not trying hard enough." Arthfael replies, just as his phone buzzes. Ugh. How does he even still have a signal down here?

<OvO> Hey, little brother. We've got a situation at home.
<OvO> Going to need you back pronto.

<NeverMoonAWerewolf> Can it wait? It's going to look really bad if I end up bailing on my friends.
<NeverMoonAWerewolf> I need to let Cheasadh undo my braids, at least.

<OvO> ...You're wearing braids?
<OvO> Wow. Send me a picture. I bet you look adorable.

<NeverMoonAWerewolf> No.
<NeverMoonAWerewolf> I don't think it turned out the way I'd want anybody to actually *see*.
<NeverMoonAWerewolf> So forget I said anything.

<OvO> Aw. That's too bad.
<OvO> Well, just come back home as soon as you can.

<NeverMoonAWerewolf> Will do.

"That was my sister. Sorry, girls, I'm going to have to cut this short." Arthfael stands and tries to stretch, wincing as his hands scrape against the cieling. "Family emergency, apparently. Think we can do this again some other time?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Trollfinger-Sneergrim Residence

"Sure we can. You've got lovely hair, and it looks... less good than I was expecting, but it'll be better next time!" Cheasadh might be overly optimistic about her future achievements in hairdressing and barbery. But then again, maybe she'll be able to practice a bit on someone else like Brinika. Then again, looking at Arthfael, maybe Brinika will never trust Cheasadh near her hair again.

Morty

Post by Morty »

"Aww. Well, at least you visited Underside, saw the beetles and met our parents. But yes, we're definitely not done with your hair quite yet." Brinika grins toothily and her ears perk up.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"Lame," Khannie proclaims. "You're sister got you off easy. All it took was a family emergency."

Terrible.

No doubt the cosmos itself is conspiring against allowing Khannie and her friends to continue messing with Arthfael.

"Well, I hope whatever going on isn't too big of a deal," Khannie signs. "You need me to come with you back to Riftline? Punch any spirits that make fun of your hair?"

That's only half a joke.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Arthfael opens his mouth to object, before realizing that works out sort of perfectly, logistically speaking, and giving a little nod instead. "All right. Sure, let's go." He gives Brinika and Cheasadh one last wave and walks out, wanting to head straight back to the surface as quickly as possible; he doesn't want to risk being caught out during the day.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Re: Morty's Goblin Homes

Post by Morty »

[Meeting Place]

Over the past few years, a sprawling settlement has arisen in the wooded hills between Inside and New Inside. Three hobgoblin tribes came together and, after much debate and negotiation, decided to form a coalition, to be stronger together. The Blind Crow tribe, the Jagged-Mountains-in-Moonlight tribe and Old Man Wolf's tribe have formed the new coalition, called Three-Streams River. This settlement is the new seat of their respective avvars, which is to say chieftains. It's a transient place by nature, members of all three tribes coming and going. But there's a core here that remains constant.

It's to this teeming settlement that Batu now arrives. It's not really coming home, as this place didn't exist when he left. Now he's told that his father is one of the people chiefly responsible for its founding. To say this gives him mixed feelings would be an understatement, but here he is.

He is here with his boyfriend Div and best friend Jim, as moral support. They arrive on a gravel road leading up the hill to a palisade. Around them is a vast encampment of hobgoblins.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Meeting Place]

Div's head moves like that of a bird, seemingly attempting to take in every detail at once. "I've never seen so many handsome people concentrated in one place," Div gently teases Batu, trying to help put him at ease. He hooks his arm in the other boy's.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Meeting Place

Jim walks beside the two shorter boys, his arms casually resting on the staff he's holding behind his neck. Barnabas perches on his shoulder.
"You know, you say the word and I can and will flashbang the lot of them and we can hightail it out of there." offers the apprentice mage. And he would, too.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Meeting Place]

"Yeah, my banishment really made you lose out," Batu quips back, holding Div's hand and glad for the support. He looks up at Jim briefly. "Hold that spell ready, then. We might need to fend off my whole family..."

However, as the trio go upwards and cross the palisade, it seems there's only one person who can be said to be waiting for them. Taller than Batu and much more muscular (at least unless Batu takes on his were-crocodile shape), there's nonetheless a marked family resemblance. He's wearing a long, leather cloak lined with crow feathers. There's a long, awkward silence when Batu meets this man's eye.

"...father. I expected a bigger welcoming committee."

"Everybody is waiting, but..." The man squirms uncomfortably. He's very clearly a person to whom admittance of being wrong is difficult. "I wronged you, son. Me more than anyone else. And I needed to say it without..."

"Without anyone seeing you admit it?" Batu huffs.

"No! Or... maybe. I just wanted to see you as your father, not the Avvar first."

"...alright." Batu seems to accept it for the time being. "But not on the main road, I think."

"I told everyone to give us some space before we join them. We'll go to our family's personal longhouse. And..."

"Anything you want to say to me, you can say in front of them." Batu cuts in, anticipating something his father would say... or perhaps not and he's just expecting the worst. The look of hurt on his father's face might suggest the latter. "This is Div, my boyfriend. And Jim, my best friend."

"Of course, of course. Urvi told me about the fine lad you're courting. He didn't mention your friend, but he's welcome as well." If nothing else, Batu's father is quick on the uptake and a skilled diplomat. He makes a curt bow to the two young men. "I am Tengal, Batu's father, Avvar of the Blind Crow tribe and a member of the ruling council of the Three-Streams River coalition. I welcome you into our home and thank you for standing by my son when his own family failed to do so."
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Meeting Place]

Div isn't sure what to think of this person yet. For one thing, as he's sure Batu is feeling, this is Batu's father. He sort of has to try to get along with him. On the other hand, his indignation at the way these people treated Batu hasn't gone away. He just frowns very slightly, offering a polite bow back to the older hob. He figures he'll at least address the other man with the accorded respect. "Um. Hail, Avvar Tengal." He figures he might want to give a full accounting of himself if things are getting formal. "The Frescot clan sends its regards. Uh. Such as they are." He gives an awkward laugh, but quickly sobers. "I'm afraid I am not much of a diplomat. Or really intended as one."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Meeting Place

Here they are in the thick of it already. Jim isn't sure what Batu wants him to do right now so he decides to simply follow the lead of the others right now. This is more Batu's time so Jim will keep the tone.
"Good afternoon. You can call me Jim." For some reason it occurs to him at this precise moment that none of his friends actually know his real name. "I appreciate the hospitality."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Meeting Place]

"You're not here as a diplomat, my lad. You're here as my son's partner. We will be glad to get to know your people better, but diplomacy can wait. Now let us go."

Batu's father turns around and leads the trio through the settlement. Despite his attempts at keeping a low profile, the Avvar accompanied by two outsiders, both obviously fey, causes heads to turn. Tengal fills the silence by telling them about the place.

"We have done much in the past few years. Built this place. Three tribes came together. More and more hobgoblins do it, I hear. Not everyone likes it. But it's part of what made me realize what a mistake I'd made with you, son. I will explain later, when we get home."

"This is... definitely not how I remember things," Batu admits. "Last I heard, people were saying cities are good for humans and small-folk. In not very flattering terms."

"They said much more than that... but let's discuss politics later. We're home."

The Avvar leads them to a long, wooden house located on the crest of a hill. It can clearly house quite a few people. Things are quiet now, however. Seems the family really is giving them space.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Meeting Place]

Div shrinks beneath the extra attention, but is grateful for the distraction of conversation. He has to keep reminding himself that, like everyone around here (at least the folks from Batu's clan), they were willing to kick Batu out over the practice of magic. A few things regarding that come to mind as they discuss how... introverted the hobgoblin tribes seem to be, but he decides not to voice them. It even occurs to Div to discuss his own tribe and their more... inclusive lifestyle, but that feels like it's going to veer towards 'politics' again.

"So... what should we talk about, Avvar?" Div asks.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Meeting Place]

Tengal takes a deep breath as he and the others sit around a low table.

"It is... good, perhaps, that you're here, lads. It might be better if those my son cares about hear my apology."

Batu looks about to say something, but his father cuts him off.

"Let me finish, son. I failed you. We all did, but my failing is the greatest because I could have stood up and didn't. I just stood by as the previous Avvar cast you out."

"...yes. You did. I'm glad you said it so I don't have to."

"I've... had time to think about it. When I started my bid to become Avvar and then negotiated with the other tribes, I couldn't keep ignoring it anymore. Everything I said to convince people of my goals accused me. What I did back then." He bows his head, looking older.

"And why didn't you try to get in touch earlier?"

"I had to make sure the others are ready. Our family was easy to bring around, but the rest of the tribe... the other two we allied with don't share our superstitions. Or at least are more relaxed about them. Plus the influence of outsiders... I waited until I could be sure you could come."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Spiritual Matters]

One day, Isaac will get a call. He wouldn't have seen Iknika the past few days, as she apparently had some kind of ceremony to attend. She wasn't thrilled about it but had to go. But now she's calling him.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spiritual Matters

Isaac is currently busy drawing for one of his comics, but he answers pretty promptly.
"Hey, Iknika. What's going on?" he asks, holding the phone with his shoulder.