Skullfort Town

Personal homes and private lots.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Re: Skullfort Town

Post by Recaiden »

[Skullfort]

"Well, they are balanced weirdly compared to conventional blades, and they are showy compared to simple steel, you know?" But it sounds like he's fine with one, and it is kinda a Skullfort specialty, so that'll do.

As for the shotgun, it's generically extra-reliable and accurate and the pellets freeze things.
"Well, more something you can run and then shoot. Aiming on the move is hard enough with legs you're used to. Not something to start off with."
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Skullfort Town

”So is the light magic or is it powered by a battery? You make these, right?” he ask, examining one of the hard light knives. They seem to be mostly fighting knives as opposed to swords. Should he go with something more conventional but bigger? Stone doesn’t seem like his thing, though.
”And it might sound silly, but I do want to look a little heroic with it. They really do want me to be their grand fighter and protector. I have to show off a little bit for the sake of appearances.” But not so much to put him at risk, of course. That would just be stupid.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Skullfort]

True, although some of these 'knives' are definitely into short-sword territory.
"It's magical. The original one had a sort of battery. But now we have a better way. Cloud gets the sunbeams, and I make them into a cutting edge, and Hunter makes them stable and real."
"So, let's find something the right size for you here, and then we can make a new one. Something very dashing-looking."
Leah starts getting down blades. A knife with a two-foot blade, a foil, a broadsword...
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Skullfort Town

Mist selects a sidesword with a simple curved silver guard.
"Um. This one, I think. So you graft the sunbeams onto the blade itself? Or do you replace the metal with the light?" he asks. He's never actually asked about this process before.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Skullfort]

"Oh, neither. We just take the measurements of this one, and I'll use them at the factory later. Were you wanting to see it made?"
Even though it's just one sword, Leah feels somehow accomplished being able to provide Mist a weapon.
"The sunbeams will end up being the whole blade, where the steel would have been."
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Skullfort

Mist considers this.
”Hm. Well I guess it ought to be personal if I’m going to be using it for a while. Sure, I’ll come watch. Maybe after I pick my other one. Hm. I need something with more range than my knives, but still works with my sword. A god's weapon doesn’t have to be the most practical. Because a machine gun would work, but…” But it doesn’t really fit a god of the wind, does it? And when you’re powered by belief and magic things don’t work the way common sense would dictate.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Skullfort]

"That sounds good."
Leah manifests her gigantic gun of choice and sets it on one of the tables.
"This...doesn't suit you. A machine gun, I think, would be fine. But you want something even simpler?"
He's not thinking of an air rifle, is he? Wouldn't that be too much of a concession to style?
"Or just something more personally suited to you?" There's only so much of a difference you can make from reality.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Skullfort

Mist nods.
"Yeah. I don't know. I just can't see myself toting around something automatic. It just doesn't...feel right." Mist looks at the rack of rifles on the wall.
"Maybe it's my connection to the Herd which are a bit more old school but I don't think I need anything that intense. Slower and precise is fine by me."
Maybe there's still a bit of the old hunting god in him after all?
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Skullfort]

Leah points out a potential problem.
"The new arrivals have old-fashioned gear because that's all they could get. It should change pretty quickly now that they're here, close to the wider Nexus society. And then you'd be the old-school one."
She considers for a moment and then gets down one of the longer, wooden-stock rifles. It might have a sort of hollow feeling to Mist, as it is particularly devoid of divine influence.
"This is a three-hudnred-fifty-year old style. It was used for hunting goliaths."
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Skullfort

"Well given that I've used knives up until now, I am kind of used to being the old fashioned one. What have the ones here been using?" he asks as he takes the rifle. He takes a long step to the side to make sure he doesn't have any chance of pointing it in Leah's direction as he looks down the sights.

"Goliaths? Like, the big people? Or something from your world? It feels odd." Hollow implies that it can be filled. Perhaps Mist could do something with it...
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Skullfort]

"Those, mostly. They're very reliable."
Leah points out the more modern bolt-action rifles in the second section of guns.

"Goliaths like the big monster, from the Hunting Grounds."

Mist surely could, but he'll have to decide on his own what that something is. The gun won't be any help.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Skullfort

"Huh. With this thing? I would have thought you'd need something pretty huge for monsters that size. What's special about it that makes it good for that?" Mist wonders if it could hold some grist, if he tried to bless it. He'd need to practice with his winds for a while before working it out. But still. There's clearly something special about the gun he can't quite pin down. You don't just use a three hundred year old rifle on giant monsters for no reason.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Skullfort]
Keeper wrote: Aug 19, 2022 12:24 am"Huh. With this thing? I would have thought you'd need something pretty huge for monsters that size. What's special about it that makes it good for that?" Mist wonders if it could hold some grist, if he tried to bless it. He'd need to practice with his winds for a while before working it out. But still. There's clearly something special about the gun he can't quite pin down. You don't just use a three hundred year old rifle on giant monsters for no reason.
"Hah, you might not have a lot of experience with them, but that model uses quite large bullets for its weight and length. Just enough for a big armored monster."
What's more, that means 300 years of reliability, Mist! Also Leah hardly has any 'modern' guns in the first place. Those are hard to get a hold of, complicated to manufacture, etc. Thus they are mostly reserved for the angels.
"And that one in particular was blessed by a now-dead storm god, funnily enough. No connection..."
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Skullfort

"Oh, it's not .357? Huh.
Wait, another deceased storm gods? How many storm gods have died around here? Sheesh. But still, that's odd then. It doesn't feel blessed. It feels...hollow."

Maybe that's it? The previous deity to touch it hollowed out its essence to store some storm energy within, and it simply ran out?
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Skullfort]

"No, this one's been modified with a different chamber, and-"
"Yeah it's a bit weird that its kept happening. But I have only been involved in the deaths of two storm gods, that's it, promise."

Mist's analysis is exactly right. It doesn't have the normal essential gun nature anymore, but it also doesn't have any replacement divine energy left.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Skullfort

"Well, let's hope the number doesn't change or Meirhin will stop visiting." Mist chuckles, ignoring the fact that he is by most definitions also a storm god. Just a relaxed one with a slightly different title.
Mist takes a deep breath and tries to fill the metaphysical chamber made into the gun with his wind-god energies. Shouldn't be too hard of a task. He's new to this but just transferring energy is something he could do even as a mortal.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Skullfort]

"Hah! No, I don't foresee the number increasing." Though now Leah is considering how she would fight Mei if it became necessary; even when things aren't getting out of control, the dragon has so much raw power compared to them.

Filling the gun with power should be easy. In fact, he should be careful he doesn't transfer too much energy and end up with something very windy.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Skullfort

Mist is being cheap with his power so he shouldn't overload the gun. The previous storm god probably infused the rifle with power to give its bullets lightning properties or something. Mist's powers are likely to be more subtle, guiding the bullets perhaps. Assuming they didn't remove the part that makes it shoot real bullets.
"Well, thank you, Leah. Really. It's wonderful. I'll need to practice with it of course. But for now I can at least say we finished making the weapon decisions."
Now that just leaves forging his new sunbeam-blade, figuring out how he fits into the Fort's pantheon, and learning about the culture he's now a pillar of.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

Keeper wrote: Aug 31, 2022 3:41 pm Skullfort

Mist is being cheap with his power so he shouldn't overload the gun. The previous storm god probably infused the rifle with power to give its bullets lightning properties or something. Mist's powers are likely to be more subtle, guiding the bullets perhaps. Assuming they didn't remove the part that makes it shoot real bullets.
"Well, thank you, Leah. Really. It's wonderful. I'll need to practice with it of course. But for now I can at least say we finished making the weapon decisions."
Now that just leaves forging his new sunbeam-blade, figuring out how he fits into the Fort's pantheon, and learning about the culture he's now a pillar of.
No, it still shoots real bullets. Just with whatever windy guidance Mist was able to add.
"Mhm. That wasn't so hard." And now they can flounce out of the armory, mission accomplished.

"And lastly, you wanted to know how you fit in, isn't that right?"
"It's kind of a mess, unfortunately. The time-of-day thing already didn't make much sense. Things change for reasons that are incomprehensible down here...but basically there's me, who has you and Cloud with me, and then there's Twilight, and W, and the fox gods."
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Skullfort

Now Mist can wait in anticipation for his new sunbeam sword!
"Okay! So it's a little haphazard. That's fine. I'll have to coordinate with Cloud more. And I'll have to talk to the others, too. I've never really seen Twilight or W around..."
They seem to keep to themselves, mostly. Except for those masses where Twilight works those miracles on people.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Skullfort]

Right. Time to leave the armory and head down to the factory, outside of the skull itself.
"Right. Twilight isn't present much these days; she's very vast, abstract, faraway, etc. I can't really talk about it in these universes." Leah casually explains.
"And W isn't part of the town; they have their own seasons thing going on, it's just that she helped some of the raptors so we recognize them for that."
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Skullfort

She can't talk about it in these...universes? Like she can't discuss it while on the material plane? Okay.
"Okay. Well, it sounds like things are a little informal but that's fine. It's a community and as long as the people mostly get what's going on it seems like it's all working out."
And in this case that meant making sure everyone was aware that Message is the boss.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Skullfort]
Keeper wrote: Sep 09, 2022 8:12 pm
She can't talk about it in these...universes? Like she can't discuss it while on the material plane? Okay.
"Okay. Well, it sounds like things are a little informal but that's fine. It's a community and as long as the people mostly get what's going on it seems like it's all working out."
And in this case that meant making sure everyone was aware that Message is the boss.
Well, the immaterial planes are also part of these universes.
"Yeah, it basically does work out. Honestly, Alexis cares more about all the organization than we do." The lead priestess here, that is.
"Just follow my lead, help people, keep your word, don't make anyone into a god, and it'll all be fine."
And if Mist wants to hear the details in some other place, he'll surely make that happen eventually.

"Now, you wanted to see the sword-forging process?"
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Skullfort

Does that mean Message broke her own rule by offering Mist those seeds? That's so sweet. Of course if she made that rule just now because of him...fair.
Mist's eyes light up at the question. "Sure! It's cool, right? It must be cool it's making a sun-sword." Mist cannot imagine that it isn't cool.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Skullfort]

She could argue that she technically didn't break the rules, but she definitely went against the spirit of the rules doing this for him.
"Uhm, well, I think it's cool, at least."

The factory is confusingly laid out and crowded with machinery and warning signs, as always. Leah leads the way over to a barrel full of...long, brilliant, difficult-to-look-at items.
"So, here we keep the new sunbeams. We have to keep those lights there shining on them the whole time."
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Skullfort

Mist takes care to keep his tail as close to the rest of him as possible so it doesn't get caught in any machinery.
"Wow. I didn't think they would just be...around. And Cloud makes those? That's cool." Maybe there's something in town he can help with as windy god.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Factory]

"Oh, we need to keep some of them around so that we don't unexpectedly run out."
Leah starts looking through the sunbeams, to find one that's particularly bright and golden clear, and then lifts it out of the barrel and hands it to Mist to hold for a moment, before writing on the paper pad near the storage barrel that it was used and should be replaced.
"Collects them, really. There'll probably be some phenomena that you're particularly good at making solid as well." Wind? Stormclouds? Lightning?

Leah takes back the sunbeam and sort of...folds it...somehow, into the approximate shape of a sword, though too large, and too long. After that, it needs to be shaped and sharpened on a series of grinding wheels. This will take a while and be visually kind of strange as specks of discarded sunlight are scattered around the ground.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Factory

"Oh, yeah! I'm sure I can help you with wind and weather things. Though like we agreed, a wind sword wouldn't be useful. You have to see your own blade." Unless you have a LOT of practice memorizing EXACTLY how long it is. But he's still fairly sure that would be more trouble than it's worth.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Factory]

Invisible windy swords for blind swordsmen. It could be big.
"If you practiced enough, and you could now, maybe you wouldn't need to see it. But a visible blade is good for more than knowing your reach." Leah agrees. "Probably not the best for making blades, no. But we'll find something that it does work with."
Once the sword is mostly ground to shape, it goes over to the heavier machines, where the far end is shaped to fit on a handguard, grip, and pommel - the only parts of it that will have real weight.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Factory

"I'll find something to be useful. I promise." Mist nods resolutely.
"So um. How many do you make a day? We've got a whole setup here but I don't remember everyone running around with one of these." maybe he just hasn't paid enough attention to the skullfort's militia?