Skullfort Town

Personal homes and private lots.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: Skullfort Town

Post by Rebonack »

[The Mound]

This is one of the downsides to helping someone WAY bigger than you throw something.

Occasionally you get thrown as well.

"Unfortunately it's gotta be dumb faerie nonsense the whole way down," the Fox laments as she continues her work. She definitely doesn't seem very happy about it, but it is what it is.

But anyway!

TABLE SMASH! The table crashes into the skeletons and careens down the stairs, crushing undead as it goes. One of them manages to duck under the table, only to get bashed in by Iknika and her furious goblin strength!

"Got it!" declares the Fox. All of a sudden she's standing over a sleeping unicorn and adorning the end of the Fox' tail is a white bone mask depicting a minotauress. "Have we still got skeletons coming?"

We've still got skeletons coming.

They're trying to climb over the table but not having a great deal of success.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

The Mound

Okay. So the poppy goddess is probably some weird giant faerie. A plant themed faerie? Those are usually not as bad but clearly not all the time.

”Oh right. Okay.”
Koshal tromps over and waves his arms. The barricade is reinforced by Koshal’s hallowed ground* with its rapidly growing grass stinging and burning the skeletons as they try to get over it!

*not actually holy but he says that it is
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[The Mound]

Iknika sticks close to the table and bashes any skeletons that crawl over it. To her credit, she recovered from getting thrown fairly quickly. Must be a goblin thing.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Mound]

That's possibly a misunderstanding of what the Fox meant. What she's doing is faerie nonsense. The curse that was placed on Khannie? Well, maybe. That probably depends on definitions but she's thinking no.

Either way, the skeletons are behind held back by the combined might of minotaur magic and goblin strength!

Usually those things would be the other way around but since when to Nexus adventurers play by the rules?

Iknika is doing a great job of clubbing them and the vines and table makes it difficult for them to progress. Climbing over a table when you're already scaling stairs really isn't that easy. Very awkward stuff. Buts them in a perfect position for HAMMER TIME!

The Fox, meanwhile, is smooshing her toe-beans against the unicorn's face.

"C'mon you purple doof, wake up. We've still got stuff to investigate," the Fox says before rather abruptly being a shadow again all of a sudden.

Khannie stirs, making some groggy sounding deer noises.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Mound

Koshal goes over to Khannie and tries to help her get up.
”Well, we got to see what you really look like so that’s a fun side effect of all this.”
But now he’s back to towering over everyone around him. Oh, well. It was a little fun while it lasted.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Mound]

"There's probably more skeletons about, too." Though winded, Iknika is grinning widely. That fight really got her blood pumping. "But hopefully we've thinned them out."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Mound]

Khannie makes some more deer noises as she stands up. That spell always makes her really groggy. Especially if she isn't asleep for very long. Interestingly, her outfit seems to have adapted to her body shape. Considering she just went from a minotauress to a rather dainty deer-like quadruped that's a pretty adaptive set of clothing! Interestingly the priestess head dress isn't gone but it IS missing its horns now. Interesting!

"Hopefully what I really look like isn't too goofy looking," Khannie retorts. She IS kind of awkward and leggy. But she doesn't got and illusion herself up, either. She does adjust her backpack a little, though. Apparently it's two halves with two compartments velcroed together. Her magic lights up and separates it, shifting it from her back to her sides. "If we're gunna have stuff we're fighting I probably shouldn't waste my focus on my disguise."

Her human disguise is a pretty intricate illusion. It's best not to bother with it if there's going to be danger.

The unicorn peers down the dark stairs, her ears perking forward. Our heroes will be able to hear things stuff shuffling and rattling around in the dark down there.

"What do you guys think? Head down there and find out what's up?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Mound

”Nah, it’s cute. I’ve never gotten to meet a unicorn before.” Koshal says that in a way that suggests if Khannie was not a sapient talking person he would probably be trying to pet her. Koshal likes patting animals’ heads.

”I mean, we gotta go down there, don’t we? We can’t just let it keep spewing out skeletons and telling people to sacrifice folks. Not to mention the minotaur hex just sitting around for anyone who comes in after us to get hit by.”
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Mound]

Iknika is peering intently at the clothes Khannie is wearing. Hmm...

"This outfit shape-shifted with you. I don't know if it's relevant. Maybe it's not."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Mound]

Khannie eyes Koshal suspiciously. "I know that look. That's the 'I really wanna pet you but I think it would be rude' look," she says, her very serious tone concealing mirth. "I don't really mind so long as people ask first. Petting a unicorn is good luck."

Allegedly.

Though in all seriousness it can cause a little bit of their magic to rub off on someone. Does Koshal need any purification? Because petting Khannie can help with that.

Iknika's comment gets an ear flick in her direction. "Oh, I just get clothes made for shape shifters. They aren't magic or anything; they're just REALLY stretchy. I hate doing illusions of clothes. It... I dunno it feels weird."

And Khannie always insists on wearing clothing. A unicorn wearing a fun adventuring outfit might seem a bit odd but it's important to Khannie. It's part of how she signals to others that she's a person and not a beast.

"Okay, sounds like we're going into the dark. You wanna take the front, Iknika? I'll go behind you and Koshal can take up the rear with Faye," Khannie reasons. After all, Ikinia has got the shield, Khannie is providing their light source, and Koshal is their designated wizard.

Assuming our heroes descend, they'll find a long flight of stairs heading down, probably a good thirty vertical feet of meandering, uneven stairs. The darkness seems to almost become a physical thing around Khannie and flows into her horn, leaving a soft luminescence that somehow casts sharp shadows in her wake. At the first bend they encounter the hurled table and several skeletons behind it, one of them menacing at our heroes with a spear.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Mound

Khannie’s dad doesn’t go with his full outfit unless he’s on a proper adventure because he doesn’t like Zebes having to dress him. He doesn’t have illusory hands like Khannie.

”Any normal person would want to pet a cute unicorn.”
Just like they would want to pet cute cats, dogs, rabbits, deer, horses, cows, birds, horse-birds, cat-birds, and even more!

Down at the bottom of the stairs, they find- more skeletons.
”I really hope this is a decent chunk of them.” Koshal sighs and throws another fire bolt at them. If they’ve only made it through a tenth of the skeletons or less they’ll be here all day!
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Mound]

Iknika flings her hammer at the spear-wielding skeleton, then steps forward and hefts it threateningly before more of them come. Aside from having the heaviest armor of the group and a big hammer, she can also see very well in the dark.

"Maybe there's some way to switch them off or something. Stop them from coming."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Mound]

Khannie is trying not to blush on account of being called cute, totally misunderstanding the intent. She honestly doesn't get nice things like that said to her very often.

How many guys at PREP are into girls with hooves?

"Thanks Koshal, that's really sweet. You're a pretty cool dude, too."

Bottom of the stairs? More like maybe two thirds of the way. Koshal fire blasts the skeleton and Iknika obliterates it with her hammer! There's still a table awkwardly wedged into the stairwell, though.

Khannie lights her horn, creating a solid enough illusionary slope on the other side to climb over for even the smallest party member. Once our heroes are over it won't take long to get to the bottom of the stairs.

"It's not a bad idea. Kinda depends. Some undead are self sustaining but others have gotta get recharged," Khannie says. "I dunno enough about necromancy to tell but look for, like, a creepy pillar madea skulls."

What's in the basement?

A huge field of poppies. A statue of a goddess inside a gazebo. Two dozen pillars made out of skulls overgrown with flowers. And at least for times that number in skeletons milling around.

"You have GOTTA be kidding," Khannie huffs upon spotting the mob of skeletons.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Mound

Koshal smiles at Khannie. He doesn't get called a cool dude very often.

Koshal's eyes flick between Khannie, the structure, and the giant mob of skeletons.
"...do you want me to send Dune back to town and get a box of grenades? I don't think my little bolts and a hammer can take out that many."
The fact that that's something he can requisition is a little terrifying.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Mound]

"...guess I got an answer to my question." Iknika peers at the skeletons. "We can't get swarmed. We need to somehow take out the statue and maybe those pillars."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Mound]

Yep. That DEFINITELY answers the question.

"Like shrapnel grenades? Dunno how well those are gunna work against skeletons," Khannie reasons. Everyone knows piercing damage isn't very effective against skeletons! "When I was exploring the Ossuary I figured out how to disguise aliveness. That's usually what undead see since they haven't got any eyes. I could shroud us and we could sneak in?"

That's an option.

"Otherwise we gotta find some way to funnel things jerks into a tight space."

Surely Koshal can do a fireball equivalent, right?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Mound

”I…don’t think either are a good idea.” Koshal says slowly.
”If we mess up or there isn’t an off button in that gazebo we’re surrounded by a hundred skeletons. And if we funnel them back towards the stairs we still have to fight like a hundred skeletons. With a hammer and my shrubs.”
Koshal knows exactly four spells. Levitation, his fire bolts, his Hallowed Ground, and his telekinesis. He does not have any fireballs.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Mound]

"So what do we do instead? We can't fight them all or sneak by them." Iknika taps the ground with her hammer. "Is there any other path we haven't explored yet?"
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Mound]

"There's still the other temples and shrines we could check out," Khannie suggests. "I can't really see the end of this cavern and there's a buncha skeletons down here but they're all milling around in groups. I think the ones that came after us musta all seen the ones that saw us were moving and just followed."

Okay. So. Options.

Maybe sneaking around the parameter keeping out of skeleton aggro range or trying exploring elsewhere to see what they find?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Mound

"Um. Maybe we can try the undead-trick you mentioned and go around the outside?" Koshal suggests.
"Maybe we'll find something that we can use to handle all of these things."
Like an off button. Or a flamethrower.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Mound]

"Let's check the other temples and shrines first," Iknika opines. "If the hiding trick doesn't work, we'll have a lot of skeletons on our tails and we might not get the chance."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Mound]

Clearly there's gotta be something for keeping all those skeletons in check. Right? They've just gotta figure out what it is. What they NEED is a hecking rocket launcher or something to blow up those control pillars with.

"The pillars are our off button but they've got a bajillion skeletons milling around 'em," Khannie says. "I think I'm with Iknika. We can go check out the big temple or that war shrine place and see if there's anything in there that'll help us out. I've got... an idea of what's going on here but I'm not totally sure yet."

This many skeletons down here is definitely suspicious.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Mound

"Okay. War god temple is probably where I'd expect to find something that kills stuff."
Koshal doesn't know that he's very spear-y though. And spears are not historically very good against skeletons.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Mound]

"Maybe whatever creates the skeletons here went haywire. This place has been empty for a long time. Could be the skeletons just kept piling up."

Iknika's knowledge of magic isn't exactly detailed, so all she can offer is speculation as they head to the war-god's shrine.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Mound]

"Those skull pillars are something that someone made for sure. Dunno who or why. There's definitely something weird going on here," the unicorn surmise, her tail lashing behind her. "Probably a good idea to get to the bottom of it just so a buncha skeletons don't come pouring outta here to make trouble."

So, off to the temple!

Our heroes will find the place is weirdly clean and polished just like the rest of the ruins. So clearly something is doing upkeep. Spears are in order and armor is well maintained. Aside from the mural of the war god triumphing over barbarians with his minotaur warriors there's also a statue of him holding a spear aloft. Several torches line the wall behind the statue though one is conspicuously unlit.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Mound

Koshal goes to inspect the armor. Given the people in question it’s probably bronze? Koshal is growing out of his hand me down chainmail so he’s mindful of armor.

Oh and yeah, while he’s feeling the weight of one of the spears he waves a hand to light that unlit torch. As one does.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Mound]

Iknika will first try pulling on the torch. It might require jumping on her part, or standing on something.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Mound]

SOME people wave hands to light torches.

Koshal is just special he needs to give himself more credit.

The armor doesn't appear to be custom sized as such. They're mostly just sets of breastplates, shin guards, and helmets. This is pretty significant since common soldiers usually wore layered cloth armor. Clearly this armor was meant to be reused. The leather straps are even still in good condition! If Koshal checks a few sets he can probably find one that fits him. Of course, he's still growing so who knows how long that'll last.

So. A torch is lit (which causes a click of something unlocking) and then Iknika yanks on it, causing a clacking sound as a mechanism is triggered! A section of wall slides away, revealing another set of stairs leading down.

This time around skeletons do NOT come pouring out of the stairway.

Khannie wrinkles her nose at the passage. "These guys REALLY had a thing for hidden doors."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Mound

Koshal straps on a bronze breastplate because it's better than nothing. And he's growing but he's surely not growing so fast he'll outgrow armor today. So equipped, he confidently heads down the stairs. Presumably with his companions in tow.
"Hidden doors are cool! Everyone should have a place with a hidden door." Koshal says with absolute sincerity. Maybe it's a minotaur thing?
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Mound]

"I've been wondering about it myself. It's a lot of effort to make a door like this, isn't it? Lots of mechanisms built into the walls." Iknika pauses. "But then, I'm pretty sure the engineers back home would build this kind of thing for fun. Maybe they do."