Bloodsong's Oasis - Jazz Club and Speakeasy

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
AshenAmbrosia
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: she/her

Bloodsong's Oasis - Jazz Club and Speakeasy

Post by AshenAmbrosia »

Located right on Westside’s bustling riverfront, the Oasis rises above its surrounding buildings like its namesake water feature, an elegant high-elven style manor house smack in the middle of its unassuming brownstone neighbors. Owned by an orc clan, the establishment was opened to cater mostly to orcs, goblins, lizardfolk, greenskins and beastfolk of all sorts that live and work the city's docks, providing an upscale alternative to the common dockside pub or Friday night chain-restaurant. The restaurant quickly gained buzz among the fine dining establishment, however, and now proudly serves all patrons, providing an island of glamour among the mostly downtrodden quarter. It also is a popular haunt among Riverside's wizards, shamans, witches, and other arcane practitioners, owing to the esoteric interests of its manager.

Ritzy and well-lit, the main dining room presents a spacious promise of jazzy splendor, populated by an array of elegantly furnished tables ringing a large stage at the far end, and a heavy, aged-wood bar at the flank. The bar is appropriately dressed up with real bullet holes and scored with injuries from knife, battle-axe, and arrows, befitting the speakeasy theme. At the stage, live music every night, typically from the house jazz band, fronted by their elegant ettin lead singer completes the room with appropriately sultry flair, though guest performances are showcased on occasion, featuring artists from across the Nexus.

Other rooms include a large secondary dining room for private events and pre-booked parties, as well as smaller, private dining rooms for rent, including boxes overlooking the main stage, and a speakeasy-style hidden bar behind the bookshelf, for VIP clients who want the utmost discretion to discuss clandestine activities.

Significant Characters and NPCS

Sokhatai Bloodsong - the proprietress of Bloodsong's Oasis, a tall, imposing orc woman of about 70. Despite her age, she still seems to be heavily muscled, with a network of heavy scars speaking to a long history of battles and campaigns. She can be found in the restaurant most nights, enjoying a drink at the bar, watching the night's entertainment, or gliding across the floor in her elegant gown, greeting and socializing with the guests.

Kyran Bloodsong - Sokhatai's eldest son, a burly, professorial-looking half-orc in his early 50s who currently serves as the Oasis' general manager. Aside from his role in the day-to-day management of the restaurant, Kyran is known in Riverside as a scholar of demonology and a practitioner of the shamanic arts. When things are not too busy, Kyran can easily be roped into a discussion on the finer points of spiritual lore, and the Oasis regularly hosts special events for Riverside's magical community.

Asterios Bloodsong - a hunky, flirtatious minotaur in his mid-30s who works as Bloodsong's head bartender. Can be found most nights at peak hours working the bar, serving up tasty drinks and even tastier eye candy. Also happens to be Kyran's husband.

Alvinus Bloodsong - Sokhatai's most recent husband, an elf pianist, who plays on the Oasis' jazz band. Reserved, elegant, and very much the musical auteur, with a somewhat dour and superior affect.

Miz'Mak - the jazz band's lead singer(s), a mercurial diva of an ettin. Contralto and mezzo-soprano, respectively, with a powerfully raspy pair of voices.

Tags:
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: [Riverside] Bloodsong's Oasis - Jazz Club and Speakeasy

Post by Gullara »

[A Promising Date]

Arriving here are a couple on a date! Eliseo steps inside hand in hand with his girlfriend. The boy is dressed up as much as Ana has ever seen him. It's a fancy date in a fancy place after all. He's wearing a purple button down shirt and black slacks. He even has a tie! Did he tie it himself? Impossible to know.

He pauses inside the door and looks around with interest. He leans toward Ana and says, "Dang, this place is nice, huh?"
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

A Promising Date

"Wow, yeah - I dunno if I've been in a place this fancy before," Eliseo's girlfriend remarks, briefly a little stunned by the glitz and glamour of the Oasis. Ana's dressed tonight in a rather flattering sky blue sleeveless dress with thin shoulder straps and a low back, a thin matching belt cinching the outfit tight around her waist. Her tails wag rather eagerly.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[A Promising Date]

"Me neither. Irena's not really into fine dining." Eliseo remarks. He leads the way up to be greeted. "Um, I have a reservation? For Eliseo Rizzo." After that gets sorted, presumably they're lead into the main dining room.

Eliseo contains more of his awe for the place. He's gotta maintain a bit more cool than that. He did pick the place out after all. They're seated and left with the (presumably nonalcoholic) drink menu to peruse for a minute. "So what do you think?" He asks, his eyes alight. Okay, he's not maintaining that much of his cool.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

A Promising Date

"Really? I wouldn't have guessed." The fox smiles a little nervously and gives Eliseo's hand a little squeeze as they're lead to their table, slipping into her chair across from Eliseo and looking through the drinks menu with an inquisitive glimmer.

"Holy cow, this place is- I mean, wow." Ana looks around the place before returning to Eliseo, eyes sparkling. "I can't believe you managed to get a reservation - I bet it's like, super exclusive."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[A Promising Date]

Eliseo's seated himself next to Ana rather than across from her. It's a habit he's developed. What can he say? He likes to be close to her. And they can both see the stage nicely this way as well.

The boy grins. "I definitely made sure to plan ahead. It had to be perfect. I wanted tonight to be special." He puts his hand over hers and gives it a squeeze.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

A Promising Date

Anastasia giggles, all too happy to be next to Eliseo like this. He isn't the only one who adores the closeness between them, and she squeezes his hand in return. "Please, you know you don't have to plan much to have a nice night with me. Anytime I'm with you is special~" There's a bit of curiosity in her eyes though - Eliseo's never been this exacting before, right? Did he have something planned for tonight?
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[A Promising Date]

"Fair." Eliseo replies beaming. "How about extra special then? I know it's a high bar to clear." He winks playfully.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

A Promising Date

"Hm, I mean, I think you can figure that one out. Like, you keep clearing every high bar set out for you." The fox smiles before looking back at the drink menu. "Wow, do you like, have any idea what to get to drink? There's so many options, and I've never heard of at least half of these." She tilts her head. "Maybe I'll get like... a Shirley Chapel, maybe?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[A Promising Date]

"Oh yeah, lemme look." Eliseo skims over the menu. "I dunno, sounds as good as anything. Might as well try it. I think I might try this 'chile-lime-pineapple soda'." He points out his choice. If Ana's ready to order, Eliseo will try to keep an eye out for their waiter to flag them down.

[Rabbit for Supper]

A new party is arriving at the Oasis. Sakura has her arm loops in Adir's as they approach the front door. Her fancy outing dress isn't so different from her usual fare. An airy, off the shoulder, red dress with a floral pattern. At Adir's insistence she's even wearing a pair of flat sandals.

"Where'd you say you heard about this place again, Calanthe?" Sakura asks their rabbit nanny. She's looking around with keen interest.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

A Promising Date

"Oh, huh - that does sound interesting, yeah." Ana skims down to read more about the drink. "Maybe I'll even sneak a sip from you while you're not looking," she teases before setting her menu back on the table.

Rabbit for Supper

Calanthe arrives at the side of the Frescots, similarly dressed up in attire not too dissimilar from her usual fare. Today she's wearing a pale blouse with a long green skirt and a low-cut waistcoat, slight ruffles marking out the cuffs and buttoned up front. She's gone without her usual hat this time but seems to have styled her hair to have a bit more of a volume to it than usual.

"Well, it's been a while since I've been here, but I used to be somewhat of a regular visitor before I joined the family at your estate," she responds. "The dining is excellent, but the manager has a vested interest in the arcane, and a lot of the patrons of the bar tend to practice some form or other of magic - so on occasion, I would visit to... I believe the phrase is 'talk shop'?" The witch offers Sakura a friendly smile.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Rabbit for Supper]

"This place is gorgeous," Adir speaks, surveying the room, his arm looped in Sakura's. "I didn't think they had anything this nice on the West Side."

His eyes fall on the ladies. "Then again, you two are pretty enough that you bring up any place you go, so I could be a little biased." The stag will step up and speak to the hostess on duty about their reservation while Calanthe answers Sakura's question. The stag's in a pair of tight, flattering slacks with a thin, airy dress shirt of a crisp blue.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Rabbit for Supper]

"Flatterer." Sakura accuses Adir, giving him an amused smile.

But back to Calanthe. "Oh that sounds exciting. Do you mean like actual meetings for people to learn from each other?" She's bright and attentive to Calanthe's words.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Rabbit for Supper

”My, Adir - I’d say you pay me far too well to need sweet words, but it is true that flattery will get you everywhere.” The witch places a hand over her chest in a joking gesture, but it’s clear she appreciates the compliment.

Turning back to Sakura, Calanthe’s eyes sparkle a little. ”I believe it varies, but the discussions I had with other patrons tended to be on the rather informal side. It was usually fairly informative, and I improved greatly in my alchemy from it - although some conversations were just a ploy to ask for my number on occasion.” A sly little smile slips onto her face.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Rabbit for Supper]

"I'm only being honest, I promise," Adir protests gently to the both of them after the hostess has taken their name. A moment later they're being directed along the spacious dining room floor to their table. Adir's been paying attention, and he exhales a soft laugh when Calanthe describes people fishing for her phone number with magical shop talk. "Now how often did that work?"

The stag will slide Sakura's chair out and then back in for her, followed by Calanthe if the rabbit allows. There's already a tall, rail-thin elf on call at their table, appearing as if from nowhere with his arms folded behind his back. He wears a beautiful vest over his uniform that has an oily glimmer resembling fish-scale.

The server passes out menus or places them carefully in front of his sitting patrons. He also places a very dark bottle of wine on the table. "Compliments of the house," he lilts. The server holds up a corkscrew as if to say that he can open it now if they wish. "Or shall I fetch a replacement?"

"I do not know my wines." Adir readily admits, picking up the bottle to turn it in his hand. He shows it to Calanthe. "What do we think?" They'll be the only ones drinking tonight, of course.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Re: Bloodsong's Oasis - Jazz Club and Speakeasy

Post by Gullara »

[Rabbit for Supper]

"Oh really? I'm not surprised. You are gorgeous." Sakura affirms. "Hopefully you don't get bothered too much, though. It's been a while since I got that sort of attention. When you have a few kids hanging off you it happens a lot less." She giggles.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Rabbit for Supper]

Calanthe's smile turns a little shy, a slight hue in her cheeks. "Thank you. It has been a while myself, I admit - but that's probably more to do with being so occupied with your family that I rarely visit. I know I was quite the head-turner during my college years, and I like to think that's still the case." A soft titter slips past her lips when Adir joins in.

"Hm, well..." There's a bit of a spark of something sly in the rabbit's eyes as she tilts her head to think. "I'd like to say I'm very exclusive... but, there were a handful of lucky folks I found charming enough. You'd be surprised how many cute girls and boys there are with an interest in the arcane arts. Nothing that ever went very far, mind you." Taking her seat at Adir's request, Calanthe smiles politely towards the server.

"Why, thank you my dear. I trust this will be a wonderful choice," she assures with a light wave of the hand before turning back towards Adir. I must admit, wine is not my forte either - I tend towards sake myself. That said, I can never deny a chance to expand my horizons."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Rabbit for Supper]

"Talking about yourself so confidently. I like that," Adir says, winking at Calanthe. With the choice approved, the stag passes the wine to the server and lets him uncork it with a rowdy little pop. A couple of glasses are poured. The server will take Sakura's drink order and go to retrieve something, giving the three of them time to consider what they want to start with.

"Oh please, baby," Adir gives Sakura a sidelong glance as he flips open his menu. "She's being modest. She gets little looks everywhere we go. At the hair, at the very least." This may or may not necessarily be true. Maybe it's just true in Adir's head. Maybe he does all the looking.

"The exclusive Calanthe club, hm? Too exclusive to settle down, or... you just have more you want to do first?" Adir seems curious. And then more about that word. "Sake. You're gonna have to teach me that one, I'm afraid."

Calanthe is probably continually reminded how the Frescots don't know many of the words, phrases or topics she might consider commonplace.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Rabbit for Supper]

"Oh, can I get a chocolate milk?" Sakura asks with a smile for the waiter. No doubt throwing off the poor man.

"What did I say? Flatterer." Sakura mocks swatting Adir's arm, a smile on her lips. He knows she likes it.

"You should be glad, Adir. If she did that she wouldn't have time to be our nanny. And what would we do without her at this point?" She turns to give Calanthe a grin. "Not that you should feel limited by us, of course." She adds thoughtfully.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Rabbit for Supper]

"I have to have confidence in a profession like this - otherwise, I'd simply vanish under a flood of demanding children," Calanthe teases with a smirk. She raises an eyebrow in amusement at Sakura's request, but chooses not to poke fun over it. "I would certainly imagine she does, her hair is incredibly pretty."

Adir's curiosity seems to surprise Calanthe, but she doesn't seem to mind. "Oh, no, it's not that I feel limited by my career, and settling down has always sounded nice one day. It's simply that I never exactly clicked with anyone." She's rather frank about the topic, as if the transiency of her previous relationships doesn't bother her. "I can't quite complain, of course - working for your family has been a wonderful change in my career, and who's to say whether I would have sought such a thing out if I had already chosen to start my own?"

"Hm? Oh - apologies, I thought it was fairly common knowledge. Sake is a rice wine produced by fermenting rice. It tends to somewhat milder of a taste to wine and beer."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Beans
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Beans »

[Playing Catch-Up]

Her shadow creeps under the door before she steps in. She's a petite little thing; her bob cut, knee-length unstructured dress, and darling little cloche hat have a flapper-adjacent energy that seems to fit in quite well here. Konstanze's bright, keen eyes take in the club's splendor hungrily as she makes her way to the bar.
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

[Playing Catch-up]

Across the room, a different Konstanze's curiosity is piqued as the strange woman enters the room.

...Er... that is, "Constanze". With a C.

Although that is not the only aspect of uncanniness between them. Jubi Constanze's first thoughts on seeing the stranger are quiet musings about how her mother could have possibly gotten here; the flapper-esque outfit and style certainly seemed similar to what she'd seen in photos. But... nah. No chance they were actually related. Even as coincidence-laden as the Nexus could be sometimes, that didn't seem particularly likely. Besides, her mother would be ancient by now, not as fresh as she looked in her photos.

Jubilee returns her attention to her drink, a glass of fermented milk that stands out among all the beers and wines and spirits most of the other patrons were having. Though at this distance, the fermented part is a bit difficult to make out. To any observers across the room, it just looks like she's getting tipsy on cow juice.

The priestess lets out a little sigh and waves over the newcomer, moving her scythe from its position on the seat next to her in anticipation of company.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Beans

Post by Beans »

[Playing Catch-Up]

Konstanze is rather interested to be waved over; she sits down beside the other lady with a bright smile. Her shadow sits down on the shadow of the barstool, its idly swinging legs out-of-time with hers. "Hello there! My name's Konstanze, what's yours?" Her eyes flick over the scythe with some interest.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Playing Catch-Up]

Jubilee's eyebrows flare up in mild interest as Konstanze calls attention to the previously-unknown similarity beteeeen them, but she lets it pass without comment. "...Lady Jubilee. Priestess to the Onyx King." She replies with a dour drone, adjusting the candle in the middle of the table idly. "Can I get you something to drink?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Beans

Post by Beans »

[Playing Catch-Up]

Konstanze notes the other woman's none-too-chipper tone, but ah well. "Not the sort of offer I'm liable to turn down---nice to meet you, Lady Jubilee." Her drink order turns out to be a simple witbier. "What brings you to this interesting place?"

There's something about her eyes---perhaps the way they reflect the light isn't quite right. Then again, you get all sorts in the Nexus...
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Playing Catch-Up]

True to her word (well, her implied word), Jubilee does indeed pay for it, handing the server a fistful of silvery white coins with a stern, bearded face on one side... the price of the witbier, and a modest tip.

"...I'm a fan of the ambience." The priestess groans, her tone of voice conflicting with the idea that she could be a fan of anything, really. "It's... nostalgic. Evocative of a simpler time. ...Poorer, granted... but simpler." She swirls her finger around in the glass of the candle, the flame seeming to dance away from her, while her other hand drums idly against the table, matching the cadence of the song the band is currently playing. "...And you? What brings you to Bloodsong's?"

If Jubilee's noticed anything wrong with Konstanze, she hasn't shown it. Maybe she's too wrapped up in the music. Maybe she just doesn't care. Maybe she has noticed but doesn't want to make that information public. Whatever it is, the reflectiveness of the wraith's eyes go uncommented-upon.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Beans

Post by Beans »

[Playing Catch-Up]

Konstanze sips her beer. "My reasons aren't too dissimilar---I died before I could enjoy the heyday of jazz in the place I came from, so now I'm getting caught up---and this sounded like a good way to do that." She tilts her head as she regards the morose woman. "You said it's nostalgic---are you familiar with jazz from your own life, then?"
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Playing Catch-Up]

Jubilee shrugs. "More or less. I was only a little girl myself when I heard it, and I missed quite a fair amount." She pulls her finger out of the candle and takes a swig of milk, wincing visibly at the taste. "My sister was the really big fan, though. Once, when she was twelve, I made the mistake of getting her a record for her birthday. She played it non-stop, clean into next year. If Bing Crosby never opens his stupid mouth again, it'll be too soon." Jubilee throws back her head and gulps down the milk, emptying her glass and setting it back on the table with a sigh. "Mum didn't care. Said she was glad Tara was developing diverse interests. I wouldn't call one song about life sucking 'diverse', but what did I know, I was just a dumb kid."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Beans

Post by Beans »

[Playing Catch-Up]

Konstanze nods, listening. "Ah, I remember records---back then, we only had the old cylinder kind, but it seems like the disc ones that came afterward were a lot better..." She takes a long sip of beer. "I think I've heard of Bing Crosby a little bit, but I haven't encountered him yet. I can understand listening to a song over and over, though. For me now, there's so many things I could listen to, sometimes I go back to something I've already run into the ground and dig the rut in a little deeper there."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Playing Catch-Up]

"Hmp." Jubilee lets out an annoyed chuff, irritated by the fact that Konstanze was apparenly one of those people. They're just the worst, ruining perfectly good music by playing it ad nauseum.

But, hey, nothing to really do about it.

"...Unrelated." Jubilee begins again, curling her fingers around the candle centerpiece of the table. "What do you plan on doing once you're... caught up, around here?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,