Bloodsong's Oasis - Jazz Club and Speakeasy

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Bloodsong's Oasis - Jazz Club and Speakeasy

Post by Halae »

Verity tilts her head slightly, as if examining Hiep, though her blind eyes still aren't focused; she seems more to be turning that information over in her head.

"I've never heard of a priestess running with that many gods before. You must really be something special, huh?"

Alright, now Verity is actually trying to manipulate Hiep a little. Appealing to her ego, attempting to get her to want to impress Verity and self-aggrandize a bit.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.

Tags:
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

Hiep's cheeks flush a little. Verity's flattery seems to be working. In addition to other things.

"I don't know about special. I've never been as good at it as some of the others- I mean. It's just talking." She blinks, realizing she said too much. "And where I come from, gods aren't as high and mighty as in some places."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

"Why don't you tell me about where you come from, then? The others you spend time with; you've clearly got peers on your level," Verity invites.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Morty

Post by Morty »

Oh, Mercury. What did she just say? Curse her vulnerability to sexy people saying nice things to her.

"It's... it's a... society of occultists." Okay, that sounds halfway plausible. "They travel the world to intercede for mortals on behalf of spirits. I joined with them when I was younger. Felt like a sense of purpose."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

"Hmmm," Verity humms, clearly thinking things over. 'Zhelshu' is a lot more interesting than she thought, "What kind of headquarters do you have, then? I've been in a fair number of labs and occultist's holds; I'm always curious about others, and travel methods."
Morty

Post by Morty »

Hiep stammers for a moment before sighing in resignation. She rests her head on the bartop with a dramatic *thunk*.

"Me and my big mouth. Would you believe if I told you I'm a demigoddess chosen by fate? I'm normally better at pretending I'm not."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

Verity's expression absolutely lights up. An excited grin spreads across her lips, and if not for the fact that she can't see, there'd be a light in her eyes, "Really?! Oh, I have so many questions! I-"

She stops herself, breathes in and out once, laying a hand on her chest to guide her breathing, "... Let's start with the obvious one, then. How did you ascend? I suspect it's different from how it's done in my homeworld, yeah?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

Hiep looks up glumly. At least Verity look cute when she's excited like this.

"That's a bit of a story. I was chosen when I was born, I'm told. By Mercury, the Maiden of Journeys. Which is why I drifted for most of my life. I was a restless kid and when I grew up I worked as a messenger. Which culminated in me delivering messages that almost kicked off a local civil war."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

"Which would have resonated with the aspect of the world that you were keyed to. Journeys, as matches your patron, then," Verity nods at that, clearly grasping the metaphysics at play, "I suppose I'm not that different in that regard. My father attempted to... customize me, I suppose would be the most appropriate description, to create a child that'd connect to the Form of Death. It's part of why I can't see; the rituals he put me through in the womb had some unintended side-effects, and didn't even work as they were supposed to regardless."

"Still, I'm very good at necromancy as a result, but no Ascension for me. Maybe in another few decades, when I've refined my understanding better," she doesn't seem that eager for it. There's a lot of lingering spite and bitterness in her tone for her father.
Morty

Post by Morty »

"Customize- oh, boy." A lot going on in this explanation, none of it good. "So he tried to shape you to be a demigod but so far it hasn't worked."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

"Yes. There's a reason I left home as a teen, rather than stay with my parents; all the money in the world doesn't help if you can't trust the hand giving it to you."

Verity lets out a long sigh, "But enough about me; I'd rather not get too deep into complaining about the horrors of my objectively not terrible upbringing. May I touch your face?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

Hiep blinks. She didn't expect it, but maybe she should have. After all, Verity still doesn't know what she looks like, precisely.

"Sure, go ahead. I don't really know how much of me you've actually seen..."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

Verity smiles at that, "Thank you."

Assuming Hiep holds still, she'll reach out with both her hands to the Sidereal's cheeks first. Her hands are soft and warm, with short cut nails as you'd expect from someone not too concerned with her appearance over the function of her hands. She traces her fingers along Hiep's jawline, up to the set of her brow, feeling gently over her (no doubt closed) eyes, down along her nose, and across her lips.

"... you're cute," she says eventually, apparently having gotten a good mental picture from the feel of Hiep's face. And then she'll move her hands to cup her cheeks, and pull Hiep gently forward so that she can lean in and give the other woman a brief kiss, "That was for indulging me."
Morty

Post by Morty »

Hiep flushes when Verity gives her a kiss. Even though this was in fact her intention all along.

"I'll happily indulge you some more if I can count on that reward. But... I should also tell you something. Zhelshu isn't my actual name. It's Hiep."

As she speaks, something seems to evaporate from her. A mask, a costume, a name that all covered her true nature. To Verity, her soul will now shine brightly but coldly, a star-shard embedded in her.

"Zhelshu is a... mask I wear. It's what we all do."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

"Hmmmm," One of Verity's hands stays on Hiep's cheek. A broad smile lingers on her face as her other hand trails down Hiep's jaw, to her neck, down to her collarbone, and then to her sternum, though likely sadly interrupted from touching her actual skin by clothes, "I can see it in your heart. It's... beautiful, the artistry behind it. I'm not sure I understand everything that went into it, but it's linked into every piece of your soul, like a... a star, or maybe a singularity, if it were also an engine or a generator, but those are so crude compared to this. I don't think I've ever seen a soul quite like this before. Seen anything like this before. Why were you hiding it? It and your name?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

Hiep's breathing quickens for a moment. This is a lot more intimate than she expected today. Or ever, really.

"People forget us. It's a curse. When we appear under our real names and selves, we fade from memory. Fake names stick around. And it's good for undercover work. I don't think anyone knows how our blessing works anymore. Except for our patrons themselves."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

There's a stricken look across Verity's face, like she just heard one of the most terrible things she's ever had to learn. Maybe she has.

Either way, she slips off of her stool to move closer to Hiep, intent on pulling her into a hug.
Morty

Post by Morty »

Hiep freezes in place for a moment. She expected that even less than what happened a moment ago. But after a moment she wraps her arms around Verity.

"...thanks. I've had time to get used to it, but it wears on you."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

"Nobody should have to live in isolation," Verity says, still maintaining the hug, "I don't know if I'll remember you, Hiep, but I can try. And if I don't... I invite you to hang around with me more, alright? Jog my memory, see if that helps. I certainly don't feel like I'll forget that star in your soul."
Morty

Post by Morty »

Will Verity remember Hiep? The Sidereal has been disappointed before. But... hope springs eternal, doesn't it? This is a strange land full of wonders. Of course, this really isn't what she planned on happening when she invited Verity here...

"Thanks. I'll do that and hope for the best. Some people are resistant to forgetting us. Others are immune. Who knows, right?"
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

Verity looks down for a moment, clearly considering things, "... Hiep, a question," she pulls back slightly so that the Sidereal can see her face, "Do you want a longer term relationship? The feeling I got was that you're more interested in my body than anything else right now - which, fair enough, I know what that's like from both sides of it - but I'm not much of one for casual flings."
Morty

Post by Morty »

Hiep can't say she's surprised. It's something she hears every now and then. And it'd be crass to complain about not getting laid after such a... heart to heart experience.

"Casual flings are how I operate, I'm afraid. Sometimes one-time, sometimes many times. So while I am attracted to you, I won't lead you on."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

Verity lets out a long, disappointed sigh, but nods. She's disappointed, yes, but not angry. She asked, she got a straight answer, and that's all she really could have hoped for, isn't it?

"Friends then? Maybe with benefits here and there."
Morty

Post by Morty »

"Friends with benefits here and there sound good to me." She toasts, but realizes Verity can't see it. So she reaches out to take her hand instead. "I do appreciate it. Usually the only people I can be honest with are other Sidereals and gods from the Bureau. And they're... not always good conversation."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

Verity takes Hiep's hand, then, intertwining their fingers, "I'm always willing to chat, then. And... I'll figure out a way to back up a save of my memories. Just in case."