Seaside

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: Seaside

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

"Okay, well. Maybe let's avoid any of the particularly intense rides. I do, well... Have a tendency to lose my tangibility when spooked. That's uh. How I lost my trunks."
He points out the most basic ride: the whirling chairs!
...the chairs seem to look more sturdy than they usually are, with thick chains suspending them. They clearly know the audience in this town.

Tags:
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"I'll... I'll bear that in mind." Owena mumbles, glancing to the side and blushing. Henry losing his clothes again on any of these rides would... well, certainly make for an interesting date, but probably not a story either of them would want to tell anyone about.

Owena looks absolutely tiny in one of the whirling chairs, but she nonetheless dutifully straps herself in. She flashes Henry a thumbs-up while she waits for the ride to start; there's not going to be a lot of talking in the next few minutes.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

Henry waves back and the ride starts up shortly.
It is as expected: a completely harmless ride for children and adults where the spinning of the central pillar sends the riders in the chairs whirling. It is not particularly thrilling but it is also unlikely to leave anyone with a lost lunch.
"Well, that was nice." Henry declares cheerily as they're getting off. He's mostly just happy he didn't fall through the chair.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"...Bit boring, actually." Owena (sort of) agrees as she steps off the ride. "Do you think they adjusted the speed for the locals? I'm not sure, but I think these guys might have some... well, I mean, when you get to a certain weight..."

...She probably shouldn't say anything. It's going to sound offensive no matter how she goes about it.

"...Anyway." She begins again awkwardly, punctuating the statement with a deliberate cough. "Maybe we should go ahead and get some food."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

"Oh. Uh. Sure." Henry mumbles, but he seems bothered by Owena's statement.
If she turns to look she'll find him unconsciously running a claw over his middle.
"Do you. Um. Not like heavy men?"
Of course Henry and the rich locals Owena is thinking of are both heavy in the same way a car and a computer are both technological devices. Yes, but not quite the same. Henry is round and heavy but he also looks like he could probably lift Codebreaker if he had to. Before CB started Kyrie's hellish training regimen.
From Henry's face, this is not a distinction that he considers.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"...That's not... no, I didn't say that." Owena fidgets awkwardly as she tries to find a way out of the hole she just dug for herself. "I'm not saying they're unlikeable. Some of my best friends are, um... heavy." She winces at that, clearly not liking the sounds of the words coming out of her own mouth. "...Actually, I think they technically all are. The only guy I know who isn't... heavy... is my little brother, and even he eats like a boy twice his size." She runs her hand over her neck awkwardly, not convinced the ordeal is over.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

Being entirely fair Owena, given that Mina is one of your best friends it's more like almost everyone you know is big in some way. It's even infected your uncle.
"Hm. But you don't make it sound like it's particularly...positive either." Henry probably shouldn't be pressing this line of conversation but he can't help it. His curse weighs on him a lot, and Owena was the first non-family member he's bumped into who seemed positive about his cursed appearance.
"I don't think I can actually um. Get any smaller. I'm kind of um. Cursed. You know."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"I didn't say you could. Or should. Or... or anything, really." Owena runs her hand down her face and lets out a little sigh. "Look, all I was getting at was that a lot of the locals get to be hefty the mundane way, by overeating, and that tends to come with digestive problems. Which don't mix well with high g-forces. That's it. I didn't mean to imply anything about you or any of the other half-dozen cursed people I know who happen to be large as a result of it." She takes a seat on a nearby bench and shakes her head quietly, pointedly averting her gaze from Henry.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

"I'm sorry." Henry says, sounding sincere as he sits down next to her.
"I guess I might be a touch thin-skinned about it. Since it's all kind of new. I just get a lot of funny looks, you know?" Henry scrapes the ground with one of his clawed toes.
"If it means anything, I certainly think you're beautiful, and no one would argue with me on that." Not really relevant to the conversation but he's trying.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"...That doesn't seem especially relevant." Owena points out. "...But it's sweet. Thank you."

She reaches out and gives the shark-man a gentle pat on the back, not seeming to much care about the sandpapery effect on her skin. "You don't look all that bad, yourself. I mean, I'd be lying if I said you were classically handsome, because let's be real, there aren't a lot of sharks in that definition, but... well, you're still charming." She rubs her finger against her chin as she tries to find some comforting words for him. "You're right in that sweet spot where you look like you're huggable enough to be a good friend, and intimidating enough to scare away anyone who would treat your friends badly." She smiles. "Sort of like some kid's imaginary friend, but real. Does that make sense?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

"...I guess I can settle for huggable..." Henry says quietly, his hands on his lap. Does the glow of his eyes intensify for a second?
"So um. Do you want to get something to eat?"
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

Food. Yeah. Okay. That's a good sign that the subject has officially changed.

"I could eat, yeah." Owena gives him a small smile. "Let's see what they have, yeah?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

”So what’s safe for you to have? From the smell it seems like they make a lot of meat. Um. I might need your help ordering. Being close to meat is um. Well I have a shark nose…” which is to the say the smells of blood and meat are extremely intense to him. It’s not like he goes into a frenzy or anything but it’s really quite overwhelming.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"...'Safe' is sort of a broad term." Owena replies. "But at a place like this, the answer is probably nothing. Everything's deep-fried or covered in sugar."

Which wouldn't be healthy for a regular person, let alone a life-force-devouring vampire.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

"Well, it can't all be fried. Something smells more fresh." Henry remarks, sniffing the air.
That is the advantage to there being a ton of cat and wolf/dog folks in this town. They have to cater to some very carnivorous diets.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"...Now that you mention it..." Owena sniffs at the air. "...Yeah, I think I am picking up something. Around here. Somewhere. I want to say... tartare? Seems a bit fancy for a carnival." She grimaces and shakes her head. "Nah, that might just be wishful thinking on my part. I'm only human. Let's see where your nose takes us, yeah?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

Well that's the thing Owena. This isn't just a carnival. This is a carnival in a town full of snobby rich wolfpeople. So of course Henry's nose leads them to a fancy tent where things that absolutely should not be sold at a cheap carnival are being made. Lobster, tartare, entire steaks. Some of it is even actual carnival food like funnel cakes and popcorn, but some of the options are just as extravagant.
"I think our tickets say we can get one thing each."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"So they do." Owena smiles and approaches the steak counter. "Excuse me, could I get one of these?"

"Certainly, miss. How would you like that cooked?"

"Pre-rare, please."

The attendant shrugs and hands her the raw, bloody slab of meat, bypassing the grill entirely. "There you go. Enjoy."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

Henry waves Owena over to a table that’s been set up among the rest of the little pavilion. Anywhere else they would probably be cheap plastic, but here they’re using real wood for the tables and chairs.
He appears to have gotten himself a large bowl of lobster Mac & cheese. It looks very cheesy.
”Wow. You ever seen carnival food this fancy?” he asks her in amazement.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"Carnival food? No." Owena admits, tearing off a corner of the steak with her teeth and chewing plaintively. "But I see food like this almost every night. That's just kind of how people eat in this town, my boss included. I mean, sure, he's been on a diet recently, but aside from that, this is pretty normal." She shrugs, taking a moment to quite literally chew the fat before swallowing hard. "...Not that I normally get to eat much of it. My own diet is pretty limited, and my boss isn't big on live feeding. Not over his dining room table, at least."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

"Well, I guess that is kind of reasonable." Henry can't really say he doesn't get not wanting to see your employee eat a live animal at your table.
"So what kind of person is your boss? You like, clean and stuff?" That's what he thinks she mentioned at some point.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"Impeccably." Owena smiles. "The man is exceedingly well-groomed. It must take a lot of effort on his part to maintain that level of cleanliness." She shrugs and adds, "Of course, my frame of reference is my uncle, who has about as much natural hygiene sense as a rain-battered hound." She giggles. "I try to keep the same standard around the house. We get a nice positive feedback loop going. And it keeps my hands busy." She raises them, a soft blue glow emanating from her palms. "...In a manner of speaking."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

Codebreaker attempts to get Kyrie to use the auto-barber and shower at his place at least once per week. The man just doesn't like shampoo.
Henry does notice the glowing hands.
"Oh so you like...clean with magic and stuff?"
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"Well, yeah. How else do you propose to clean a three-story mansion, top to bottom, on a nightly basis?" Owena smiles and takes another bite from the steak, this one much bigger and bloodier than her first. "Ib jubt nob boable obberwide. Ib can tabe owbers to cean a whole roob by hanb, anb der are only so maby in a nighb, you know?" She pauses to swallow, giving a satisfied little burp, along with a light blush afterward. "So I set up a few spells to do most of the actual cleaning, then go through and spot up any details they might have missed."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

Codebreaker probably doesn't actually need her to clean all of the place every single night. But well, he does pay her to, clearly.
"Well it sounds like you have a system alright. Hm. I don't think I actually know who does the cleaning at home." He's never actually asked. Or maybe he did but he forgot? There is still a big hole in his memory. He cleans his own room, at least.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"Well, yeah. Having a plan is important." Owena replies, leaning against the table between them. "You break things down, take it one task at a time, knowing full well what you intend to do what you're done with what's in front of you now... and it's remarkable how much of a force multiplier it is. It's how my uncle was able to catch up on ten years of education in a few months, for three different people. And it's how I'm going to graduate summa cum laude from Inside University, and go on to be an archeology professor." She smiles. "Every step's already planned out. All I have to do is walk."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

Henry leans back in his seat, delicately picking at his mac & cheese.
"I'm sure I'll work on it later but right now I'm very happy having no plan. I worked myself to the bone for years to pay off Dad's debts. Now I'm willing to spend a little time without that hell-job enjoying the upsides to my crazy family."

Apparently a lot of their fortune has gone unspent simply because the family members hate going out due to their cursed appearances and such. Henry isn't going to introduce online shopping to them. Who knows what it might unleash?
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"You, too, huh?" Owena rips off a chunk of the steak and rolls it between her fingers as she talks. "That's sort of how I got the job I have now. My uncle got in debt with my boss. One thing led to another, and my boss took pity on him and offered to cancel the debt. My uncle, being the proud sort of man he is, refused. So the rest of us started pitching in to ease the load. My sister took a job in town, and my boss offered to let me work for him. The rest is history."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Sea Coast]

A moose is wandering through the wilderness by the sea coast. Not an unusual sight in this cold climate. But this moose is walking with a purpose. Strolling through the damp undergrowth and the thick fog, it's heading for the coast, eyes trained on the horizon.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Nov 04, 2022 11:52 pm [Sea Coast]

A moose is wandering through the wilderness by the sea coast. Not an unusual sight in this cold climate. But this moose is walking with a purpose. Strolling through the damp undergrowth and the thick fog, it's heading for the coast, eyes trained on the horizon.
[Sea Coast]

At the horizon there are two landmarks. The quaint village of Nazato and what it was more known in association to, the massive cliff formation known as Tojin's Spine. A single rock as tall as a skyscraper coming out of the water like a massive tooth.

However, that's not all there is at the horizon.

Like an angel of death two massive black wings suddenly appear out of the clouds as a huge purple dragon swoops down towards the village.
Fortunately for the villagers it flies right by. Unfortunately for the moose however it continues its flight and is now coming right towards it.