Seaside

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Re: Seaside

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Harley relaxes upon realizing that Raheeda is still present. It was hard not to assume the worst after everything that had happened recently. But if the noises are fleeing sailors... he frowns under his mask. Maybe he shouldn't have trusted that the creepy disembodied voice would let him try a peaceful option. Assuming it even is the sailors, of course.

It's also dawning on him that since he laid his outfit to dry before sleeping, that he's naked. Quickly turning away from Raheeda, he gropes around to find his clothes, hurriedly getting dressed.

"What was the booming noise, do you have any idea? An explosion, or a lightning strike?" he asks, glancing towards the door. The second one seems unlikely if the storm is abating, but stranger things have happened.
horses can attack and eat me

Tags:
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

"Lighting strike. Big one. Happened just outside so we're lucky it's dry in here or we'd be, uh, hit by lighting. Like, from afar. Since... water and stuff." She clears her voice. "Anyway, I bet they're moving towards the ship. Probably to get out of here." She gestures in the direction the voices are coming from. "There was a big flash of light at the horizon, green light. No idea what it was but I started hearing them not long afterwards. Pretty sure something went wrong."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

"Well normally I'd be happy to see the sailors leave, but I did promise that spirit I'd get its thing back, so..." So they'd better do that before there's an ocean standing in their way. Shrugging on his coat with a wince, Harley picks up the spear and heads for the door.

"Green light, huh? Isn't that some old pirate legend or something?" He sounds uncertain. "Whatever it is, we'd better check it out. But stealthily. You coming?" And he slips out the door and into the night.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

"Legend?" Raheeda don't seem to have any idea what he's talking about. "But yeah, let's go!"

She nimbly slips out after him and closes the door behind her.
The rain has nearly stopped as they move out into the jungle but they might not even notice this considering how much is dripping down from the canopy after a monsoon like this.
Even the cries from the pirates have quieted down somewhat. Though it was a miracle they could hear them at all with the storm going on.
They don't have to go far into the jungle before they spot a small group of the pirates. Around half a dozen walking in a straight line through the jungle.
These ones don't look nearly as panicked or worn down as the two they met earlier. Rather than running in a blind panic it seems more like a tactical retreat. That's not to say they don't appear frightened however.

But Harley won't get much more than a glimpse of them before Raheeda attempts to pull him behind a tree.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Harley is light on his feet, proceeding through the trees noiselessly. He's certainly glad the rain is letting up. As the two of them approach the pirates, he's about to go in for a closer look when Raheeda yoinks him to the side with little effort.

"Shouldn't we try to talk to them?" he whispers, crouching down, "If I can resolve this whole thing peacefully that'd be ideal. Right?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

"Oh, I assumed they were fleeing. Probably not the best time to stop n' chat y'know?" Raheeda remarks in a hushed whisper.
As this brief exchange they hear someone shout. "WAIT! WAAAAAIT!"

An exhausted woman carrying a bundled up item comes running towards the pirates who all immediately stop and stare at the woman in shock.
"Ye're alive?!" One of the pirates exclaim as she comes to an halt, nearly collapsing on the ground from exhaustion.

Harley will in this moment catch a glance at a shadowy figure at the corner of his eye. He only sees it for the briefest moment and there's only one thing he could tell before it was gone.
It was pointing right at the woman, or more specifically, the bundle she was carrying.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Ironsmith wrote: Apr 28, 2023 5:50 pm [Off The Coast]

The boy in the captain's hat says nothing, but just smiles knowingly.

It won't take long to see why. Out of the water, not far from Krayger, a massive mottled appendage rises out of the water. At first glance, it appears as though it's a tentacle or maybe tail belonging to some massive unseen creature, but as it slams down on the deck just over Krayger, he'll get an up-close view of hundreds of grasping hands, stuck to bony, emaciated arms that interweave and grow from each other like some mad scientist's attempts to put together a tree from human parts. A pervasive moan emanates from the mass of arms, a sound of pain mixed with resignation that it will never, ever stop.

Behind Frigate, two more appendages rise out of the water. The demons near him scatter, throwing open the lower decks and wheeling up cannons in haste to defend themselves.
Off the Coast

Well, Krayger would rather not be next to the cannons when they go off. The minotaur scrambles back up the ladder onto the deck once the tentacle monstrosity moves out of his way.
The crow's beak thrums in his hands. This is what it was made for. He just needs to get an opening.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Harley's eyes dart wildly between the shadowy flicker and the pirate woman. Well, it doesn't take a genius to figure out what's going on here. He leans in close to Raheeda to whisper.

"I think that package she has is the relic I need. I either need to talk to them now or follow them, but I don't want to risk them getting on the boat. Can you stay hidden and cover me in case things get ugly?" He bends down and lays his spear lightly against the tree; best to look as nonthreatening as possible.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

"Uh, sure." Raheeda nods and gives Harley the thumbs up.

The woman is helped up by one of the pirates and even from this distance Harley might note that she seems unlike the others in the group. She has an array of amulets worn not just around her neck but her wrists and around her waist. There are also tattoos all over her body which evoke thoughts of the occult to anyone with even a passing knowledge of such things. Her long hair is tied into small knots that are separated by ornate barrettes that also seems to have arcane symbolism tied to them.

"It- it just watched, I..." She rambles, still looking to be in a full-on panic attack as she keeps taking glances behind her while at the same time appearing completely terrified of what she might see.
The others also seem to have the same idea as they stare out into the jungle in the direction the woman came for as if they were expecting death itself to come around the corner.
"Calm down, poppet." The pirate that helped her up urges. "I dunno why ye insisted on draggin' that black spotted thing wit' ye, but let's get back t' the ship."

No one have any objects to that, at least not at first. But as they all start to move again another pirate suddenly attempts to grab a hold of the bundle and attempts to pull it from her grasp. "I be nah dying fer that thing!" She shouts.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: May 14, 2023 12:05 pm [Draconic Talks]

Anger wells in Askeladd again as Bishmu speaks. He's still trying to present his... protection racket as something reasonable or benevolent.

"So you receive riches for the important service of not burning down their homes. We have a word for such things where I come from. It's not a pleasant one. How long did this woman stay with you?"
[Draconic Talks]

"I protect them from bandits." Bishmu insists. "I keep telling you this but you won't listen."

"And how many bandit attacks have you protected them from exactly?" It doesn't sound like Megeshi believes a word he says.

"...my job is more to be an intimidating factor. They can hang little signs that claim they're under my protection so they don't have to be attacked in the first place." The dragon shakes his head. "But, your question, she stayed with me for... well, must have been about ten of your years give or take. I'm sure one of my servants could give you an more accurate estimation. Human measurements of time confuses me."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Harley hesitates for a moment, watching as the scene unfolds. The woman makes him pause; clearly she knows about the occult, but why then would she steal a cursed relic? There has to be more here than meets the eye.

As one of the pirates wrestles with the bundle, Harley decides to throw caution to the wind, stepping out from behind the tree. He gives it a wide birth to draw attention away from the still hiding Raheeda. Holding his arms wide in a placating gesture, he slowly steps forward.

"Ahoy there, I come in peace! I'm here to negotiate for the return of the relic." He takes a deep breath, trying not to show how nervous he is. Scared people are dangerous, and liable to lash out before thinking.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

The groups attention is first drawn to the two struggling women and then a moment later, to Harley.
The pirates have been on edge so far and his sudden appearance makes some of them pull out their flintlocks and cutlasses.
"Who the Davy Jones' locker are ye?!" One of them shouts.

But even as he approaches the two women continue to struggle with the bundle. "No! It's all keeping us safe right now!"
"Let go ye crazy cur!"
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Harley slowly waves his empty hands. "Woah there friends, no need for your weapons. The name's Harley LaLune, just a traveler who got caught up in this mess. I couldn't hurt you if I tried." He's desperately hoping they don't notice whose clothes he's wearing.

"That relic isn't keeping you safe, it's putting you in danger," he explains, "The shadow that's been hunting you spoke to me, and said that if I got the relic back from you, it would leave you alone. There's no need for any more death today." There's a sudden sinking feeling in Harley's chest. What if the woman is right, and the shadow lied to him? What if taking the relic away really would put the crew in danger? He shoves the worry down; too much is unknown here.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

"How do ye know this?" One of the pirates demands.

"And what about the serpent?" Another inquires.

Just then the occult woman manages to push away her attacker and pull back with the bundle still in her arms. "We've come all the way for this. We can't abandon it now!" She exclaims, giving Harley a dark glare.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Harley addresses each of the pirates in turn. "I know it because the shadow spoke to me in a vision. It was going to possess me, but we worked out an agreement by which I'd try to convince you to give the relic back without anyone getting hurt." He tilts his head at the serpent comment. "I don't know about any serpent, but I did see the outline of one in the clouds. What do you know of it?"

As the tattooed woman backs off, Harley waves his arms in dissent. "Listen, if you insist on taking that thing with you, then the shadow won't stop hunting you. I've seen its victims, and that's not a pretty way to die. Please, just let it go."
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Draconic Talks]

"Yes... a dream job right there. Not having to actually do anything. Reminds me of a Realm satrap I met." Askeladd keeps a forced pleasant tone. "But back to the matter at hand. She stayed with you a long time. But then she just vanished?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

The woman looks even more annoyed as Harley says this. "I was the one they hired to deal with the shadows, I'm the reason these people are even alive." She gestures to the rest of their group. "I had almost purified this cursed thing when that serpent showed up and ruined everything. If I-"

She's interrupted when there's a scream from one of the pirates.

That's enough of a signal for many of them to start running.
But the woman and the pirate that had been struggle turns to the scream only to see that the pirate is looking up.
If Harley follows his gaze he will see what must be 'the serpent' peering down at them through the canopy.
He recognizes it from before alright but what he didn't see earlier was it's massive feathered wings which look even larger than the rest of its slender body.

The occult woman takes off running without a word. The pirate next to her nearly faints at the sight by the look of it.

[Draconic Talks]

It seems like Bishmu decides to ignore his comment. Though he probably doesn't even know what Askeladd compared him to well enough to be as offended as he might have been otherwise.
"Yes, I looked for her all over the place but it seemed like she didn't want to be found. I even had my servants looking around but nothing." Bishmu let's out a sigh. "Why in it to you anyway? Why are you with all your powers so curious about my servant?" Almost sounds like an accusation.
Last edited by Shadowcaller on May 18, 2023 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

"Why do you even want to purify it? Why not leave it alone?" Harley begins, only for the scene to be thrown into chaos. He gapes up at the serpent for a few moments. Well, it's definitely not just his imagination this time.

Then the woman starts running away with the bundle. Before he can even think to consider his options or warn Raheeda, Harley gives chase. His injuries slow him down a little, but he's fast and fleet of foot, dodging around the pirates and going into a dead sprint to try to tackle the woman before she gets away.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

The woman darts through the jungle but she's slowed down enough by the vegetation that Harley manages to catch up and tackle her to the ground.
"Wh-" She utters before falling to the ground and dropping the bundle in the process which ends up tumbling into some bushes.

"-fool! You just had us both killed!" She screams in a mix of anger and terror.

Harley can smell an odd scent in the air. One he might not have even considered before until now considering how overpowering it is. It's the scent that follows lighting. Metallic, like burnt metal. Then there's that strange silence which is now eerily familiar.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Stunned for a moment by the tackle, Harley feels a shiver go down his spine as the metallic scent fills his nostrils. Letting go of the woman, Harley scrambles on all fours towards the bushes where the bundle rolled, looking around wildly as he does so.

"You said you wouldn't hurt anyone, remember!" he calls out wildly, but he's not at all confident that his conversation in the mindscape was as reliable as he was counting on.
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Draconic Talks]

Bishmu isn't very bright, Askeladd decides. Not a very startling conclusion, really.

"My interest is twofold. I wish to learn the truth. Such is my calling. But I also wish to ensure peace between you, Megeshi and the people of the town. Especially now that my actions brought trouble to their doorstep."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

quillpleasant wrote: May 18, 2023 5:48 pm Jungle

Stunned for a moment by the tackle, Harley feels a shiver go down his spine as the metallic scent fills his nostrils. Letting go of the woman, Harley scrambles on all fours towards the bushes where the bundle rolled, looking around wildly as he does so.

"You said you wouldn't hurt anyone, remember!" he calls out wildly, but he's not at all confident that his conversation in the mindscape was as reliable as he was counting on.
Jungle

There's no response from the shade but as he's looking around he can see (and hear) the serpent gently breaking through the canopy and at this point its clear that the 'serpent' in fact has arms and legs. Touching down on the ground with remarkable grace considering its sheer size.

Then it slowly starts to make its way towards the two of them, the scent only growing stronger as it approaches.

"You're insane, of course." He can hear the woman remark as she tries to drag herself in the direction of the bundle.
Harley can see it now. It's laying just at the foot of a large tree.

[Draconic Talks]

"Hmph, well, you have the truth now at least. But don't know about peace now that the villagers know my little secret."

"You were the one that dragged yourself out of that painting. You let yourself be provoked and revealed your own secret. Askeladd had little to nothing to do with it. Besides, it should be easy to resolve, just stop spying on the villagers." Megeshi glares daggers at the other dragon.

"Oh, like you would be any better." Bishmu shakes his head. "But sure, I can do that." Quite an easy promise to make.
Last edited by Shadowcaller on May 19, 2023 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Empty Beach]
Gold wrote: May 13, 2023 8:36 pm "Alright! That was fun," TASBot says, stretching his arms and legs after having stopped the excercise.

The robot reflects on Hoshiki's feedback, noting "Be a little more aggressive... got it." He perks up immediately upon hearing that he might get a training partner. "A partner? I'd love to have a training partner!" he eagerly exclaims.

"D'oh, right, your payment," TASBot says, giving an embarrassed chuckle as he realises he almost forgot to pay the man for a job well done. Just as he had done earlier, he brings his hand up to his screen and the currency appears for him to gladly hand over to Hoshiki.

"Anyways, same time tomorrow works. Any time tomorrow works, really. Not much that I'm doing at the moment. I should really get a job..." TASBot continues. He turns around to leave, then stops. "Oh, yeah. You took me here through that weird mirror, didn't you? Is that still there?" the bot enquires.
"The mirror ought to still be there. Unless someone stole it", Hoshiki says with a laugh, "don't worry. I'll come with you. We can look for it together if someone did."

Turns out the mirror portal is still there in Drunk Dog tavern where they left it. The trip back to Arkham Street is uneventful, and Hoshiki bids farewell to TASbot for the day.

---

The next day, TASbot gets to the agreed-upon training spot before the swordsman. He appears, slightly late, but not alone. "Hello!", he shouts as greeting to the robot, "I hope you had a good night's sleep! Or whatever it is you robots do! As promised, I've brought you a sparring partner!" He walks closer and gestures to the new person. "This is Aaron. Met him at Drunk Dog this morning. I beat him at a game of rock-paper-scissors, so he agreed to come here. We'll be practicing some throwing techniques. I think it will be an interesting challenge." There's an odd glint in Hoshiki's eyes when he says that and a crooked smile on his face.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Harley is starting to panic at this point. Not only did he not realize the serpent was a physical creature instead of some vision, but his deal with the shadow is rapidly seeming like a very big mistake. Still, it's all he has to go off of, and maybe if he distract the snakelike monster then Raheeda could at least get away.

"Of course!" he yells back at the woman, as he jumps to his feet and sprints off towards the bundle, praying that he's able to get to it before the serpent plucks him up and devours him. Not that getting the relic would even necessarily help against something like that.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

Harley sprints up and manages to grab the bundle off the ground. The woman cursing his name as he manages to snatch it right in front of her.
"Good luck getting eaten then, idiot!"
Meanwhile he can hear the 'serpent' attempting to move through the jungle but it appear that its wings, even folded up as they are, might be too big for it to effectively move through the jungle.

Which is when a LOUD voice echoes out through the area.

"This has been entertaining but please hand over the relic now, please."

If Harley would turn around he would see that the serpent is looking at him expectingly.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Harley clutches the bundle in his arms, whirling around to face the serpent. This has all spiraled a little out of control, and his eyes are wide open with fear as the giant beast stares him down. He begins holding out the bundle- then hesitates. This serpent isn't the shadow he talked to in the mindscape... or is it? Not for the first time, he kicks himself for not asking about that.

He thinks back desperately. The shadow said "It isn't mine" when talking about the relic. Maybe it was guarding it from falling into the hands (claws) of this serpentine monster. If that was the case, then handing it over would be the worst possible idea. But he can't be sure...

""Hey," he squeaks out, then coughs and begins again. "Hey, are you the guy I talked to in that shadowy vision? Knowing that would really help me decide if I should just hand this over or make you kill me first." By keeping it vague, he's hoping that it won't know if he wants it to be the shadow or not.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

The 'serpent' tilts its head and at this point the necklace it wears around its neck. One made of golden chains which ends in what seems to be a tome.

"No. I am Megeshi of the North Wind. But pray tell me, why is everyone so willing to die for this artifact? Seems like a waste of life to me."

Meanwhile the occult woman can be seen sneaking nearby. It isn't clear what she's doing besides trying to stay away from the 'serpent'.
No signs of Raheeda but presumably she's around here somewhere.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

"Of course you are! Of course it had to be even more complicated!" says Harley, his voice rising in frustration. His left foot stomps agitatedly at the ground.

"All I'm trying to do is make less people die, and now it seems like if I give it to you then the shadow thing will start killing people, and if I don't give it to you then you'll start killing people. So what the hell am I supposed to do?" He's yelling at this point, and he whirls around to jab a finger towards the enormous serpent dragon.

"You want this thing? Then explain what it is, who the shadow thing is, and why I should trust that you won't just eat us all after I hand it over. If not, then I'm going to run away and give this right to that shadow thing, and I bet I can move a lot faster than you through the jungle." The fact that the serpent could probably just lunge forward and eat him right now doesn't seem to occur to Harley.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

"As much as it has amused me, I'm not actually planning to eat anyone. Well, besides the 'shadows' that you're describing of course. But they're bound to the artifact so being eaten won't kill them." A beat.

"Well, it will but the artifact will bring them back. That is it's purpose, see? It controls the spirits that have been bond to it and makes them return each time they're destroyed or banished. No harm done."
Well, besides to the shadows of course.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

Hraithre wrote: May 19, 2023 7:50 am [Empty Beach]

"The mirror ought to still be there. Unless someone stole it", Hoshiki says with a laugh, "don't worry. I'll come with you. We can look for it together if someone did."

Turns out the mirror portal is still there in Drunk Dog tavern where they left it. The trip back to Arkham Street is uneventful, and Hoshiki bids farewell to TASbot for the day.

---

The next day, TASbot gets to the agreed-upon training spot before the swordsman. He appears, slightly late, but not alone. "Hello!", he shouts as greeting to the robot, "I hope you had a good night's sleep! Or whatever it is you robots do! As promised, I've brought you a sparring partner!" He walks closer and gestures to the new person. "This is Aaron. Met him at Drunk Dog this morning. I beat him at a game of rock-paper-scissors, so he agreed to come here. We'll be practicing some throwing techniques. I think it will be an interesting challenge." There's an odd glint in Hoshiki's eyes when he says that and a crooked smile on his face.
Aaron's brown eyes gaze elsewhere absent-mindedly, not acknowledging the robot, "To think my strategy would fall through like that... You must be a truly skilled player."

Notably, the blonde-haired, fair-skinned young man clothes had a very minute gap between him and his body so as that nothing he was wearing was actually touching him. His outfit consisted of an unzipped brown jacket over a t-shirt with some card game anime design with blue denim jeans. He carried a satchel over his shoulder, which he would set down by the nearest convenient spot. "Now, with the way my curse works, I doubt there will be any sort of friction. Make of that what you will."