Seaside

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: Seaside

Post by Rebonack »

[CRAB BATTLE]

"So we've got the ones right here," Tristan begins, gesturing at the crabs in the nearby pool. "And then there's another pool here-"

A second location is marked about half a mile away.

"-and one here."

And a third near the river the divides up THE LAND OF DUNES AND CRABS.

"That covers a pretty wide swath of the area. If I can get a sample from each that should give me a good idea of what the mudcrabs are eating."

Plus they'll get a solid view of whether or not this adventurer can truly defeat something as vicious and monstrous as a mudcrab!

One would hope.

Tags:
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

CRAB BATTLE

"There is nothing nearby that eats the crabs, to your knowledge, that I may encounter in my endeavours?" Would be terrible if these mudcrabs are the main food source of a local pseudaelurus that the khajiit interrupts whilst it is hunting.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Locura de Adan

Krayger sighs but uses the loading platform without complaint. Really, they should have prepared better for this. A reasonably large member of many species in full gear would weigh a similar amount as him as he is with his gear in a bag of holding.
"I have decades of experience dealing with skirmishes. Pirates specifically? Not as much. But I've been on ships before, I can assure you." Krayger is pretty sure that a bullet and a hammer both work just as well on pirates as they do on land-based brigands.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[The Coast]

The people moving about outdoors have one thing in common, they're not staying around for long.
He does get some intrigued looks from passersbyers but as the rain grows heavier it dissuades anyone from staying around unless they're already preoccupied with something else. Perhaps it would be wiser to go indoors at a time like this?

If you're not directly working at one of the fishing ships at the dock there seem to be two places most people seek out for shelter (other than their own homes). There is a tiny tavern which is the only building fully lit at a time like this.
Then there's what seems to be a religious building in the middle of town judging by the symbols and the music he can hear coming from inside it.
Either would be a good place to find a good crowd of people.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

CRAB BATTLE
"Nope. That's part of the problem. We're on a wildlife survey to find out how bad the damage is," Jade partly explains. "There are landsharks in the area though, so keep an eye out." But these are small landsharks. They probably won't attack people.
Probably.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[CRAB BATTLE]

Just little landsharks!

As opposed to big ones.

Like...

Smol landsharks.

Not a huge threat unless you're a halfling or a gnome. But there aren't any of those around here so everyone should be alright.

"Not really; the mudcrabs are invasive," Tristan replies without thinking.

And then quickly thinks better.

"As in, they haven't been in this environment long enough to hit an equilibrium point. The landsharks aren't quite big enough to eat the adult mudcrabs; though they can probably still take the juveniles."

Give it some time, though! The landsharks will probably get bigger and develop stronger jaws to deal with the new source of prey.

"Good luck out there!"
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

CRAB BATTLE!

That's reassuring, that there's only little landsharks to worry about. In the khajiit's limited experience, bulettes don't really like coastal areas, as they can't breathe underwater and tunnels on the beach tend to collapse or flood. So hopefully they'll be easy to avoid just by staying on the beach- or else they've developed other hunting methods and don't rely on the tunnels most landsharks rely on.

So with that, she's going to go to the furthest location on the map and get to work. Start as far as possible and work her way closer, that's her aim- though if she has to go in multiple directions from where Tristan stands, she'll go to the nearest instead because she'll be walking past Tristan more often that way anyway.

bc56

Post by bc56 »

CRAB BATTLE
Jade waits for the adventurer to return. She's pretty confident this will all be fine. Nothing to worry about.
Then they'll have their samples and can figure out what to do next.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[CRAB BATTLE!]

Hah.

Just waiting?

As if!

Oh no. Jade and Tristan have more work to do while waiting for the adventurer to get back from the mudcrab killing.

"Alright, while our friend is busy we've got some more work to do," Tristan says, handing a handful of marking flags to Jade. "We want to find all the coconut crab burrows within three hundred yards of the mudcrab pond. They usually like nesting around the roots of trees, so those will be the first places to look."

And then? It will be time to begin the search! There are several exotic looking fruit trees nearby, as it happens. In addition to the palms. Ideal food sources for the coconut crabs! The coconut palm over there. A nice pandanus tree with its big round pointy looking fruit. And of course a nice ochrosia tree over there with its funny paired pair-like fruit. All prime locations to search for coconut crab burrows!

Meanwhile!

The furthest location will take the adventurer to the pond furthest afield, beyond the packed sand and sandstone of the dunes to an outcropping of limestone that's fed by an underground stream. A large number of mudcrabs have taken up residence in and around the pool, as well as the small stream that flows down to the river further away. There's a deer carcass near the pool that several mudcrabs are picking at, probably ambushed when the animal went for a drink. Given how new the mudcrabs are to the ecosystem here the deer probably wasn't aware that she needed to be afraid of the grumpy giant crustaceans.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

CRAB BATT... SURVEY
Jade nods. "Let's get searching then," Jade starts by searching near the pandanus tree. She wonders if any of these fruits (other than the coconuts) are safe to eat.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

CRAB BATTLE

The khajiit nimbly hops across the limestone outcrop, and grins as she sees the dead deer. Gesturing with her left hand, she imbues the deer with necromantic energy, reanimating it to attack the mudcrabs that were eating it. Hopefully the deer's mostly intact, since it'd last better that way. It's more aggressive now it's dead, kicking at the mudcrabs and perhaps headbutting with antlers if the deer has any. It's meant purely as a distraction as the Khajiit crouches down, pulls her mace free, and crabwalks over to the skirmish to join in from behind with a blunt object swung at an unsuspecting crab.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[CRAB SURVEY!]

And thus the search begins!

"Looks like the pandans are pretty ripe," Tristan comments as the duo begin searching around the roots of the tree for a burrow. "They're edible. They've got a flavor that's like a cross between coconut and peanut or walnut butter."

Which is definitely an interesting flavor combination.

And look at that!

A burrow!

Tristan shines a little flashlight inside, revealing a coconut crab deep within the burrow waving its antenna at them.

But then!

There comes a voice!

"Hey," says the voice. "What are you two doing?"

The source of the voice appears to be a dryad leaning out of the pandan tree and watching our heroes quizzically.

[CRAB BATTLE!]

The khajiit's adventure, meanwhile, is probably a little more exciting.

The zombie deer is immediately beset upon by the aggressive crabs! This involves a great deal of pinching, which should come as a shock to none. The adventurer has no real difficulty crabwalking over, which, sadly, doesn't make the mudcrabs assume she's one of their own kind. Especially not when she absolutely clobbers one of them, crushing its shell and killing it in a single stroke!

This immediately gets the attention of the rest of the crabs, which have just finished ripping the zombie deer to bits.

They begin aggressively crawling toward the khajiit!

She might have to walk briskly to escape!
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Coast]

Askeladd approaches the religious building. It might be easier to appeal to people who are there to pray than those who are in a tavern, eating and drinking. He will check if he's not interrupting a religious ceremony first, though.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

CRAB SURVEY
Those don't look like any fruit Jade's ever seen, let alone eaten. She'd try it, but the tree's spirit just came out to talk, so it's probably a bad time. "We're studying the crabs living around here," Jade sticks a flag next to the burrow they just located.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Earl of Purple wrote: Dec 29, 2022 1:36 pm Locura de Adan

"Much an' more. I were built t'be a bodyguard fer a wizard what went t' sea." To avoid paying gambling debts. "That were eight years ago. Since, I be servin' aboard six ships an' involved in many nautical clashes w' pirates, sea beasts an' inclement weather. One o' them were a privateer vessel, an' one were pirate 'unters. Not me choice t' join the privateers; I'd walked ashore after a storm sank me previous vessel an' they rescued I from a desert island two months later. I joined cos I were bored an' wanted off th' island. I left the privateers after the ship got caught in port by th' Imperial Navy an' sentenced t' death by rope. The gallows weren't strong enough, so I were imprisoned till th' sea called me an' I left." It was a wooden structure, too close to the sea. It was rotting before Frigate walked through the wall. "Joined the pirate 'unters next as they were first t' leave port, an' the gov'ner might not have been so happy as me new cap'n t' see me go." Frigate never revisited that port, so he's got no way to know.

Frigate doesn't mention that of those six ships, he knows five sank for certain and doesn't know the fate of the last- just that it had been dismasted in a naval battle, as the mast's fall knocked him overboard.
Keeper wrote: Jan 03, 2023 6:39 pm Locura de Adan

Krayger sighs but uses the loading platform without complaint. Really, they should have prepared better for this. A reasonably large member of many species in full gear would weigh a similar amount as him as he is with his gear in a bag of holding.
"I have decades of experience dealing with skirmishes. Pirates specifically? Not as much. But I've been on ships before, I can assure you." Krayger is pretty sure that a bullet and a hammer both work just as well on pirates as they do on land-based brigands.
[Locura de Adan]

"...Well." The man in the tricorn hat frowns, looking between the two of them with a scowl, as though trying to decide which of them disappointed him more; Krayger with his lack of experience in dealing with pirates, or Frigate and the context of his. "It's certainly a good thing pirates lend themselves to close quarters so well." He mumbles. "If these pirates are at all like I've experienced, what they'll do is signal they're going to board us, line the crew up, and shoot anyone who steps out of line while they help themselves to our cargo. Assuming we don't resist, naturally. If we do, they'll blast the ship half to pieces first, then board us, and be considerably less amiable to the crew."

Said crew let out a low, discontented chorus of mumblings at that.

"Which is where you come in. We'll let the pirates on board and into our hold, where you gentlemen will be waiting for them. Most of them will be too busy making sure nobody above deck intervenes to pose any threat; pick off the remainder and you weaken their forces enough for us to finish the job. Or at the very least, enough to make continuing to rob us impractical." The man stiffens. "Any questions?"

He will, rather pointedly, wait until one of them goes to ask a question before interrupting with "I thought not. We cast off in an hour. Make sure you have everything you need; we won't be back here for three weeks."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

CRAB BATTLE!

Well, this proved... slightly disappointing. She didn't realise the crabs had ears with which to hear her approach, which kind of invalidated the idea of using a mace. Although most crabs have all-around vision, which the khajiit's unaware of; perhaps that helped a little too. She's going to grab the cracked corpse and leg it away, hefting it onto a shoulder as she stands up and runs. She'll try to discourage followers by using a paralysis spell on the fastest; hopefully the other crabs aren't as focused on her as they are that particular source of meat.

Locura de Adan

Frigate fortunately doesn't have any questions. He'd perhaps be interested in their flag, since a pirate vessels' Jolly Roger tells a story about the captain, the crew and the ship, but he'll see it soon enough. He'd be reasonably happy to answer any nautical questions Krayger might have, since Frigate's got a lifetime's experience at sea. A short life, due to his nature, but still a life.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Locura de Adan

The man will be disappointed as the minotaur only says, "No questions."
He's worked for this kind of man before. No respect, no professionalism. Will probably try to find an excuse to not pay them what they advertised. Well. They'll see if he's still like that when he sees Krayger's lightning hammer.

He packed plenty. He has no objections to them leaving.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Crab Survey]

That WOULD be kind of weird and awkward, right?

Eating fruit off a dryad's tree while she's standing right there?

"It's a very important population survey!" Tristan insists. "There are some invasive crustaceans moving into the area and we need to figure out how that is impacting the coconut crab population. Then we can use that information to decide what to do next."

Clearly!

All a deeply important endeavor.

"But why?" the dryad replies quizzically. "They're just gross bugs."

[Crab Battle!]

The adventurer has dreadfully underestimated the relentless fury of mudcrabs.

With claws clacking, the murderous crustaceans slowly skitter right past the paralyzed crab! At the rate they are going our her will be in real trouble if she decides to lay down and take a quick nap.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Crab Survey
Jade steps back and looks to Tristan. She doesn't especially care about crabs (she doesn't dislike them, she just doesn't like them as much as he does). So he's the one who should answer the question.
She does at least know that they're not bugs. Even most insects, which are usually called bugs, aren't bugs, and crabs are definitely not insects.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Crab Battle

Well, they are quite slow, and paralysis didn't seem to work. So... the khajiit chugs down a mana potion and throws another spell at the advancing crustacean horde. This one's not paralysis; it's a Frenzy spell. The second closest crab should- unless she misses- feel overwhelming hostility to all other life and attack the closest creature. The swirling magic of the continuing effect might also trigger the same response in other crabs, so hopefully the ones behind the first crab are now embroiled in combat, so it's simply a matter of getting far enough away the other crabs don't follow her. The first crab can't see any other crabs, so it's probably not embroiled in the fight, but that's OK, since the khajiit can smash that one with her mace without worrying about getting swarmed.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Crab Survey]

To be fair there aren't many people in the Nexus who are quite as enthusiastic about crabs as he is.

When Drakania was explaining to Adir why dryads are like hermit crabs he was a bit incredulous about a woman being so gung ho about crabs. She wasn't shocked by this, of course. She knows her crab obsession is a little out of the ordinary.

But they're so cool!

And cute!

"What, no! No way!" Tristan replies, aghast. Jade will be able to tell pretty easily that it's Drakania at the helm right now. The three siblings always share control, but for someone who knows Tristan it isn't hard to tell when a specific person is at the fore. "Crabs aren't bugs OR gross! They're vitality important animals."

The dryad looks pretty skeptical.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Crab Survey
Jade nods. "Bugs are insects with sucking mouthparts and half-hardened wings," she confirms, "But crabs are crustaceans and have neither of those things." See? Crabs aren't bugs.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Crab Battle]

Paralysis DID work!

It paralyzed exactly one (1) mudcrab.

That wasn't terribly useful, but it DID work.

Now, as far as means to make sure that the mudcrabs stop chasing the adventurer? Dropping a pandemonium spell is WAY more effective. Almost immediately the mudcrabs begin tearing into the frenzied crustacean!

How do they know that one is mad?

Heck if I know!

Who knows what mysteries pass through the minds of mudcrabs?

The important part, though, is that our hero has escaped!

The other important part is that a rather long, rather colorful crustacean just crawled out of a hole nearby. It's green, mostly, though also with colorful patches of red and blue. Its huge, pearly eyes shift this way and that as it waves its antenna in the cat's general direction before quickly skittering toward her, its huge hammer-like claws poised to strike.

What the heck is this thing!

Tristan didn't mention anything about giant peacock mantis shrimp!

[Crab Survey]

"Yeah but why would a gaiad be outside her weald looking at crabs? That doesn't make any sense!" the dryad objects. "Especially gross crabs. That are still bugs."

Wow is she ever obstinate.

"Okay, one, not a gaiad. I quit."

"You can't quite being-"
"Totally quit! And TWO I think crabs are neat. Some people might not think they've very interesting but they my PASSION!" Tristan declares, clenching his fist to the sky. "Also three kind of why are you fae hung up on the gaiad thing? It's pretty obvious that's not what I am. Lack of deerbutt and everything."

The lack of deerbutt is HIGHLY conspicuous, in Tristan's opinion.

"Because you can't just QUIT!" the dryad insist.

"Okay, sure, fine. Quitter right here!"
"You can't!"
"Quitter walking away to find more crab burrows."
"You aren't allowed to!"
"Can't hear you over the sound of finding all these craaaaabs oh nooooo~!"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Crab Survey

Jade turns away and follows Tristan, shooting the dryad an apologetic smile. This is a sore spot. "I hope there's no truth to these accusations." They've come up now and again since Tristan was cured.
Knowing that there's fae power in this place (at least a little) puts her ill at ease either way, that stuff is infectious and both she and Tristan have been victims before.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

CRAB BATTLE!

Well, that's... quite an interesting thing. Not something the khajiit's had much experience with, either. She's low on magicka, which is unfortunate, as another paralysis spell seems like a good idea right now. Instead, she'll have to drop the mudcrab to pull her shield around and raise her mace ready to retaliate after blocking the first blow.

If the khajiit knew more about crustaceans, she'd realise just how bad a plan this is.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Crab Survey]

Usually comes up when fae are involved.

"Not any OBJECTIVE sort of truth," Tristan replies as he begins searching around the roots of a palm tree for signs of crab burrows. There are some bits of coconut husk scattered around, but no holes. "Every time we've run into fae they've been insistent that I'm still the Plum Sisters. Or that I should be. But it's pretty obvious I'm not."

They went through a ton of trouble fixing it. And Tristan only has the one body! Even as Chimera he's just got three heads!

Which is normal.

For Chimera, anyway.

"Hopefully the fae presence isn't going to cause trouble with the survey."

It is absolutely going to cause trouble.

MEANWHILE!

The adventurer decides to try blocking the giant mantis shrimp's attack! She may realize, when that hammer claw smashes into her shield, that perhaps this wasn't the best plan.

Depending on what the sheild is made of, the claw crashing into it may just shatter outright. Otherwise it may dent pretty significantly.
Last edited by Rebonack on Jan 12, 2023 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Crab Survey
"I can't imagine what it must have been like," Jade sympathizes. She was a Kumiho, but that's not the same. Being a gaiad comes with responsibilities and somewhat stricter behavioral controls. That's not even mentioning being three people sharing one body and mind, then split into three separate people.
To be honest, Jade should count herself lucky she's never spent time as a gaiad, especially given that she has the favor of Chestnut on her.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

SHRIMP BATTLE!

The shield is made of chitin, as is the khajiit's armour. It blocks the blow, but shatters, and enough force is transferred into the catgirl adventurer that she's flung back and hits the ground and rolls before rising back onto her feet. She has also dropped her mace. Cradling her left arm, she reaches into a pocket and pulls out a blue potion which she chugs down, before raising that arm and launching a magically-summoned icicle at the mantis shrimp.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Crab Survey]

"It was definitely an experience," Tristan admits. "Buttercup brain was something else. Being separated out like that was DEFINITELY something else. Drakaina couldn't stand the magic stuff. It just didn't make any sense! Like, zero repeatability of any kind. No set rules. Just a great big pile of whatever! UGH. Completely maddening. Who even MAKES a system like that?"

Tristan's suddenly very animated gestures as he waves at the dryad-inhabited tree is very much a Drakaina sort of thing.

"To Aries it was... peaceful. I couldn't know how any of the magic worked, but I just k-kind of... felt it? It was about n-noticing. And, um... feeling. N-not that I think you or my siblings are sensitive or... um..." Tristan kind of trails off a bit here. Aries' mannerisms are, again, pretty easy to pick out. "B-but kind of intimidating to have all that responsibility all of a sudden. W-we thought we could just break the seed dance but it d-didn't work out like that."

And then? Tristan's posture shifts to one that's just coolly casual. Leona taking the helm is, likewise, easy enough to pick out. "Leona thought it was pretty okay. Telling jerks to shove off if they were bugging my siblings was cool. Got to meet some cool people off on my own. Hard to do that when we're all in the same head, y'know? I thought the dweebs were having a nice time but I guess we ALL thought the others were having a nice time. Couldn't really read each other. Never been separated like that. Not doing it again, either."

Not voluntarily, anyway.

The Chimera siblings are always together and they want to stay that way.

Our heroes soon crest a small hill, revealing a circle of limestone slabs that have been lifted upright and arranged in a circle.

Tristan scowls at it. "Seriously? This is protected wilderness people aren't supposed to build any sort of permanent structures here!"

[SHRIMP BATTLE!]

Ice spike!

The giant shrimp's eye's shift this way and that as the magic takes form, then drops low and skitters forward as the projectile goes zipping above it in a clean miss.

Is that even allowed?

Are monsters allowed to take evasive maneuvers to avoid spells you cast at them?

The giant shrimp aims another devastating hammerblow at the girlcat adventurer! It really doesn't seem to be planning on doing anything nice to her.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

SHRIMP BATTLE!

Well, that's just not fair! But it happened anyway. So all the khajiit can do is scamper back and try to escape- her magicka's very low, and she's currently disarmed. So she does the only thing she can think of, calling upon the blessing she gained by making a sacrifice at a standing stone far from here, carved with a serpent. The effect will paralyse the mantis shrimp, as well as poison it, draining health from it over time until both effects wear off after five seconds- which should at least be long enough for the khajiit to run up and grab her mace so she can try hitting it again, and not relying on her rather mediocre magical skills.