Seaside

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Seaside

Post by Shadowcaller »

Shadowy Mindscape

There's a laugh.

A sad, dejected laugh.

"My relic? My relic..." There's that laugh again.

"It isn't mine." The voice finally states.
"As I said, we have something in common since neither of us choose to be in this situation as far as I can tell. It was chosen for us. So you want an excuse from me? There you have it. Since if I ever want to be free of that accursed thing I have to do these things just as you have to pretend to be an altar boy. Thankfully, the binding doesn't care about the means only the results. So you want to talk to those pirates? Go ahead. So do we have a deal then?

Tags:
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Off the Coast

Ah. This is... not at all what Frigate was expecting. Frigate draws his cutlass and strides over to the limb upon the deck and slashes away at it with the enchanted brass. It's reinforced to the point of steel, and further enchanted to prevent it sticking in anything no matter how deep it may bite- it's always easy to pull it free for the next swing.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Shadowy Mindscape

"Oh, so you were cursed to guard it? Yeah, I get that. You'll get no more judgement from me, but I'm still not going to help you hurt anyone, pretending or not." From the tone of his voice, it seems the shadowy entity's words have bothered Harley in some way.

"Yeah, I'll agree to go talk to them and try to get the relic back. But I'm gonna do it the right way, and you have to promise to leave me, Raheeda, and the sailors alone if I get it back for you."
horses can attack and eat me
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[Empty beach]

TASBot anxiously watches Hoshiki as he slow-falls off of the cliff. "Wha-huh? How are you doing that!?" he asks, incredulously.

Remembering that he has to get down as well, TASBot starts clambering down the rock in a relatively clumsy way compared to when he climbed up it. Once the robot is about two-thirds of the way down, he decides to push off the rock and fall the remaining distance, going into a forward roll when he hits the ground. "Climbing down stuff isn't nearly as cool as climbing up stuff," he comments.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Apr 23, 2023 1:34 pm [Draconic Talks]

"Some explanations are in order, I believe." Askeladd stands before the crowd in his human shape. "I am Askeladd, a chosen of Luna. I came here in the guise of a humble storyteller on behalf of the dragon you see, Megeshi, hoping to ensure peace between you and her. When I examined the painting that is the pride of your town, a disagreement emerged with the dragon who watches through it. I had to call on my power to protect you. I am sorry that it came to this. I would have preferred not to disturb you."
[Draconic Talks]

"Yes, you should be safe now. Neither of us mean you any harm." The dragon besides him declares while spreading out her wings. She looks a tad larger now than a moment earlier.

Some of the villagers talk quietly among themselves while others stand in complete silence. Still just staring at the two.
But finally, a question is raised. "Whose Luna? A god?"

Shadowy Mindscape

"Of course, my only concern is getting the relic back. I have no reason to hurt anyone as long as that happens." A beat.

"I'm going to let you go now. Your friend is attempting to fight my influence anyway so I'm not going to waste any more energy."

And suddenly Harley will feel himself taking a deep breath as he opens his eyes and finds himself back in the real world. The first he will notice is that he's wet. Absolutely drenched really.
Since it has started to pour down. A real monsoon coming down from the skies above. The canopy above him provides some protection but not nearly enough. Furthermore, he's in the middle of a circle that has been drawn in the ground. Raheeda sitting in her robes with legs crossed mumbling things to herself in a strange hissing language when he stirs.

"...ssithish~" She pauses.
"I did it! Ha!"
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Shadowy Mindscape - Jungle

Harley gulps in air with relief. The darkness of that strange communion was reminiscent of his journey through the ocean, and he's not eager to experience either again. He sits up, shaking water out of his mask.

"Raheeda! Wow, it's good to see you again. It's good to see anything honestly." He gets to his feet, wiping mud from his jacket. "I, uh, learned a lot. Good and bad things." And if time permits and he's not cut off, he'll relate everything that transpired in the mindscape, sparing no detail.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Empty Beach]

"Maybe not, but it's good practice", Hoshiki says, walking up to to TASbot, "as for how I did it... well..." He flicks a seemingly empty spot of air above his head. There's a metallic chime and a flicker of light, and a halo appears above his head. "I won this in a contest with angels. I don't really need it, but it spares me some effort." He flicks the halo again, and it vanishes from sight again.

"So now that we're warmed up... what aspect of fighting do you want to start with?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Shadowy Mindscape - Jungle

"So it was a ghost! I knew it!" Raheeda exclaims. "But what about that giant serpent you saw? Did you ask about that?"
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Morty »

[Draconic Talks]

Askeladd nods. But the first question being what it is makes him a little concerned. What aren't they asking?

"Yes, Luna is a deity of the moon. On a world far from here. They chose me a long time ago and I've striven to use my power for the betterment of all ever since."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

"Yeah, I uh, completely forgot to ask about the snake thing," says Harley. Somehow, despite the mask, he manages to look a little embarrassed. "I was trying to do this like defiant heroic thing...anyway."

He pulls his arms around him, shivering a bit from the all pervasive rain. "Sorry I agreed to help, I just figured that if I didn't then whatever the spirit is will just kill more people anyway, and maybe we can fix it without any more bloodshed? But also I'm the one who agreed, and you definitely don't have to come with if you'd rather not."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Draconic Talks]

There's more questions regarding what happened to the painting, how long they would stay around for, if they would protect them if there were further attacks, etc.
But perhaps the ones that's hardest to answer are why this dragon was watching them through the painting and what they would do now. Were they simply going to have to live with a dragon watching them every day while at the temple? Since they didn't really want to offend it either.

Jungle

Raheeda raises her scaly palm in protest. "Dude, after everything I've told you do you really think this is the one I'm going to back out of? I'm not completely sure what pirates do except being on ships and stealing stuff but they sound like people that could do pretty nasty things. So of course I'll help out. First I think we need to get third line clothes and then dry up though. Since this rain is not doing any wonders for me." Cold in general didn't.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Harley shrugs. "I just don't like to assume. But I appreciate it, I'd be pretty useless on my own." He looks up at the sky and shivers again. "Yeah, this is cold enough for me, it's probably way worse for you because of the whole elf thing. I hate to say it but the fort we just left might still be the best place to warm up."

Oh yeah, there was a body and a medallion. Harley checks to see if one or both of those things are still there. He's not going to bury the sailor in this rain, but maybe he could at least be moved out of the open.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Draconic Talks]

Askeladd doesn't have a good answer to this. All he can do is reassure the villagers that he's got it under control (and hope he really does).

"I will go speak to the dragon in person. Then I will ask him what he wants and why he is observing you through the painting. I hope to clear everything up and let you get on with your lives."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

Harley has probably already noticed that he has been moved by now. Though as he looks around he will realize he can't see the dead body either. At least until Raheeda realizes what he's doing and gestures behind him.
And sure enough, there it is. Still wearing that medallion. "Ehh, you're not planning to touch him again, are you? It was a trap. You kinda walked right into it."

She clears her voice. "Also, I already told you. I'm not actually an elf. I lied and I'm sorry for that." Raheeda claims, putting her hand against her chest.

[Draconic Talks]

The villagers cautiously agree to this, but they would have more questions once they returned. For the both of them considering Megeshi apparently planned to move into the neighborhood.
But for now, they think they should investigate this other dragon and return to them.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Harley hesitates from approaching the body. "Well, I was thinking that that spirit wouldn't try to get me a second time- but you're right, better safe than sorry." He backs gingerly away.

He seems a little startled by the apology, waving it off. "Oh sorry, just didn't want to make you uncomfortable. You really don't need to apologize." He tilts his head. "I am curious as to why, though. Are snake people hated in this land or something?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

"It did leave your body." Raheeda admits, giving the amulet a thoughtful second glance.
"But... uh, I don't actually know. Though let's discuss this something dryer, 'kay?" She gestures in the direction they originally came from. Towards the storage building.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

"Dryer sounds nice," agrees Harley, ringing out one of his sleeves. With one last glance at the body he sets off back towards the storage shed.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

And so, after finally getting Raheeda's underwear (which is now wet again), they're back at the storage place which is exactly the same as they left it. It does seem like whoever built it realized that getting water on what it stores would be bad so despite the heavy rainfalls it's still quite dry inside.

"Finally! I thought I'd never get these back." Raheeda exclaims as she hangs up the 'support clothes' off the top of one of the shelf beams. "But yeah, as I said I never been around these parts before but I'm not supposed to tell anyone what I am. It's just, uh, what we do. That's why I usually wear this mask, see?" She holds it up in front of her face. "Apparently there are a lot fancier masks that make you actually look human n' stuff but I've never come across them."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Harley is more than happy to be out of the rain, and he makes a mental note to never let Raheeda leave her underclothes behind again. He takes off his coat, shirt and boots, setting them out to dry before sitting down heavily on the floor.

"Hey, your secret is safe with me. I don't wanna get in the way of any rules or customs or anything," he says in reply. "And masks are cool. I might even choose to wear one if I didn't have to." His tone of voice makes it clear that he's joking.

"So what did bring you to these parts in the first place? Was it a choice, or more like my arrival?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

"Oh, I got lost." Raheeda waves dismissively. "And that's when saw the ocean in the distance and decided to check it out. So I guess a bit like your arrival? I dunno. I travel a lot and just come across stuff I like to do. Or stuff I ought to fight."

The sound of the storm raging outside intensifies as a strong wind causes the trees nearby to violently shake. One can hear it simply by the ruffle of their leaves as they're torn by the zephyr coming in from the north.
"Man, not sure if I want to stay here for much longer. But I'm not sure it's safe to go outside either. I've been through worse though. Probably."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Harley chuckles. "Nothing like being a wanderer, huh? I like it. That's how life is meant to be lived, always experiencing the new." He pokes absently at his stitches.

As the storm thrashes the trees, Harley gives an involuntary shiver. "Well, we're not going to have much luck finding those pirates in this weather, let alone talking to them. Might be a good idea to get some rest, and hope things clear up by morning." The exhaustion in his voice is clear. He hasn't really rested since waking up on the beach, and they've both had their share of stress since then.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Draconic Talks]

Askeladd will bow and return to the church, ready to enter the painting.

"That went about as well as it could have. Let us hope our luck holds," he tells Megeshi once they're back inside.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Draconic Talks]

"Luck is a strong word for this series of events, and you're not the one that will be sticking around for the aftermath of this." She pauses. "I... appreciate your efforts however."
It sounds like she's about to add something but she seems to catch sight of something which makes her stop.

And Askeladd's superhuman senses can no doubt see what she saw.

It is Bishmu peering out of his own self-portrait.

"Ready then? Just step inside and I will give you a tour of my lair." The other dragon seems to grin at them before his head once again disappears inside the frame.

"I shall head inside first, just in case." Megeshi declares before moving inside the paint. Seemingly with little trouble.
Assuming he follows her he will find that the painting almost feels like warm water as he touches it and accepts him just like the ocean itself as he goes through it. On the other side he will find himself gigantic hall brightly lit by a wast amount of chandeliers either hanging from the ceiling or mounted along the walls. They're lit with unusually red flames yet they cast light all the same. Illuminating what seems to be a wast collection of paintings, sculptures, vases and other objects which one would traditionally associate with the term "art".

A lot of it is encased in glass cases but some are housed by more crude methods such as in iron cages or simply by magic as some items are just floating around glowing.
Bishmutraxx stands right before them, grinning as Askeladd and Megeshi gazes around the hall.
Though his display is somewhat undercut by a small kobolt that chosen a somewhat inopportune time to sweep this part of the floor. Slowly moving in-between Bishmu and his guests without giving either of them as much as a second glance.

Jungle

"They're unlikely to get out of their protection-thing in this storm, yeah." Raheeda agrees. "Honestly not sure why some of them even did it in the first place if they knew the treasure was super-haunted."

Then an idea seems to occur to her. "We should set up a fire in here so we can dry our clothes." Considering what this storage shed is for that's a profoundly unwise idea.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

"Greed is a powerful drive, so I've heard. For all my faults, that was never among them," muses Harley.

As Raheeda suggests lighting a fire, Harley thinks for a moment, sniffing the air. The faint twinge of chemicals is enough for him to have misgivings. "Well...we still don't know what the stuff in the crates is, and everything in here is dry wood anyway. I wouldn't want to risk it spreading and driving us out into the storm." He gestures to Raheeda's rucksack. "Do you have any rope in there? We could string up a clothesline, that could help things dry out faster."
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[Empty Beach]

TASBot ponders the question of what he wants to practice first for a moment. Come to think of it, he wouldn't actually know where to start. Punches, maybe? Kicks? Those things sound cool, but not fundamental.

He thinks a little more, then starts as if having an idea. Turning to Hoshiki, he asks "What would you say the best thing to start with is?*
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

"Rope? Of course I have rope! Who even leaves their home without rope?" Raheeda chuckles. "But that's a good idea!" She gets up and opens her rucksack. Pulling out a long rope but also what looks like a fire starter kit. "But are you sure you don't want a fire? Maybe we could make one just outside."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Empty Beach]

"Ordinarily, the best thing to start with is building strength and fitness. I was made to carry heavy jugs of water and rice", Hoshiki answers, "but given how well you climbed, I think you are fit enough. So let's start with some basic wrestling." He adopts the same stance as before and holds one palm towards the robot.

"Lock wrists me. When I push, you pull, when you push, I pull. Big circular movements at first, loose arms, focus on keeping balance and rotating your whole body. We'll go from there once you have a hang of it."

If TASbot complies, the exercise continues with multiple variations, with Hoshiki adding more elements bit by bit. Stepping around first, increased force second, then various ways to break the rhythm and either pull or push the other person out of balance. He then seques to showing how to proceed to various basic grips and holds from such a situation. If TASbot is a fast learner, in an hour or two they'll be doing freeform grip fighting, just trying to get a good hold of the other person while preventing the opponent from doing the same.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

"I don't have a home or any possessions, so I wouldn't know," says Harley, with no awareness of how sad that might sound. He rubs his chilled hands together. "And I mean I do want a fire, I just don't want to take any risks. You could try one outside but won't the rain and wind just put it out?"

After a moment he takes another look at the bag. "Hey, what else do you have in there? Maybe some blankets or food or something?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

"You got that mask don't you?" Raheeda points out as she continues pulling things from the rucksack. Including blankets and salted jerky. "Oh, and weren't you on that ship which you escaped from? That must mean, uh, something, right? Since you must have been there for a reason."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Harley lifts a hand to touch his mask gently. "Oh...yeah, I guess that counts. I'm already starting to think of it as just part of me. Probably shouldn't do that." He reaches out for the jerky, then stops. "Wait, I don't think I can eat with this mask on. Do I even need to eat? I don't actually know." Well, he'd probably have starved to death by now if he still needed to.

"And yeah, I was on a ship. I was a stowaway, I just wanted to get onto the open ocean and away from people who knew who I was. Hard to help anyone when everyone despises you." He shivers, taking one of the blankets gratefully. "But hey, that's why I'm here now."