Seaside

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Seaside

Post by Shadowcaller »

Deserted Island

The orb is not enchanted.
That will be something Nathair learns right away.

Since this is not a object that has been imbued with magic, it would be far more accurate that this is magic that's been forced to take a physical form.

Thus if anti-magic or something of that effect would be applied to the orb it wouldn't just stop working, it would cease to exist completely. But that might also mean that means other than the aforementioned one wouldn't actually do much in the way of damaging it.

Furthermore, the orb is, and has always been, giving away rhythmic pulse of energy which is at least in part made up of heat. Since if he had ever touched it he would have learned that its quite hot. Especially now as its temperature seems to have risen considerably ever since the dragon started talking through it.

That's how much he can learn by just starting to look at it at least.

But speaking of the dragon, it still is.

"You think you can withhold it from me?!" It hisses in response. "There's only a question of time before I destroy you and everyone you love if that's not returned. Since you won't be able to hide it no matter what you do or what kind of spell you weave."

Tags:
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Deserted Island

"You dragons sure love your boasts, don't you?" he replies conversationally, a bit distracted by his examination. Being made of magic would explain why it's so bright to his vision. His fingertips melt slightly as they touch the side, but he simply pulls them away and reforms them. Well, it's a lot safer to touch than he expected.

There's clearly some sort of magical connection between the dragon and the orb, whether it's a dimensional wormhole, a sympathetic vibration, a soul link, or something like that. So his lenses flick from one to the next as he searches for exactly how the dragon is able to talk and see through the orb. That's an important thing to find out.

"Like I said, this will be easier if you cooperate. Hell, there's a nonzero chance of me just returning it, but only if I figure out exactly how it works first."
horses can attack and eat me
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Deserted Island

Nathair had never actually perceived the dragon in any way beyond hearing its voice which makes finding the connection between it and the orb more difficult.

But to his magical sight it would seem as if the orb isn't just a radio to the dragon. As in, there's no signal getting sent to the orb from the dragon which makes it project these things. No, it would seem as if the dragon is coming straight out of the orb somehow. Like it was living, existing, inside of it. In fact, as its anger seems to grow the mist that's normally swirling inside of it seems to be emerging from it and come like purple smoke.

If Nathair had any experience with the concept of a genie/jinn in a lamp or any similar concepts he might be reminded by it now. But it seemed less like the dragon was trapped inside this thing and more that a part of it was, somehow? Or perhaps if he's familiar with a lich's phylactery this could be something like that. A part of the dragon existing outside of it in the form of this orb.

Either way, it sure seems upset that he's taken it.

"Cooperate with a thief? I'm merciful for even considering this ending in any other way that your death. In the olden days a thief would consider themselves lucky to be granted a swift end rather than endless torture. Since anything else would be encouraging your misbegotten kind!"

The smoke, or mist, escaping from the orb starts taking curious shapes before Nathair's normal sight. For moments at the time appearing like scales and feathers. Almost as if the dragon, or whatever it is, was threatening to burst out from the orb.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Deserted Island

Nathair isn't particularly worried about the dragon manifesting- if it could simply pop out at any time, it would have already done so. Even if it did, he has complete confidence in his ability to handle such a creature. Whether that confidence is warranted is up in the air.

"I don't know, theft is a pretty minor crime. Stuff is just... stuff," he says dismissively, before a wide smile comes over his face. "But this isn't just stuff, is it? It's something more akin to your soul, or your heart. I wonder... what would happen to you if it was destroyed?"

Nathair's other bodies have now drawn a golden web that arcs over the orb, covering it in a dome of magical threads. The human looking Nathair throws a mock salute. "Ready for test one," he calls enthusiastically.

"Lovely. Let's see what happens." The prime Nathair clenches his golden hand and the web tightens around the orb. It's a ritual of severance, designed to cut off dimensional or extraplanar ties to an individual or object. It's usually used to banish demons, to destroy portals, or to remove the spirits of undead from their bodies. Whether it works here- well, that's what the test is for.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Fortress Bay]

"It's not magic, it's just... who I am," Leah doesn't have a great explanation for herself honestly. Maybe the Drifter's handy scan device could tell her more. But she's pretty preoccupied at the moment.

Because the catgirl solves her frog problem only to get a dog problem. "Ahh! Ok, ok, down! No jumping," Leah softly scolds as she gently eases him off of her. Again it seems a miracle her clothes unsullied by the act. "... Jon," She adds when she notes the collar. Is that tag magically enchanted to do that whenever the dog meets people? Wouldn't that suggest the dog is owned by someone with money? If it's neither of these two, then where are th-

"Lookout!!" Leah would love to draw a big chunk of rock out of the earth and hold it over everyone's heads to protect the shrines and herself from the oncoming bombardment. But this close to the cliff, pulling that much earth out could destabilize the cliff and send them hurtling into the ocean below. She'll have to settle for tumbling to her previously dropped umbrella and crouching down, bracing herself under it as a shield.
► SHOW SPOILER
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Fortress Bay]

Wow what a good dog.

"I'm suspecting the same," the drifter says, looking up at the pea soup sky skeptically. "Otherwise this storm should be breaking up, right? Maybe-"

Oh.

He just noticed the giant drop of scummy water falling from the sky.

Calling it a drop is a bit of an understatement.

It's more like someone updended a hot tub above our heroes.

Seeing the object hurtling toward him, the drifter takes cover behind the largest shrine he can find and grabs his hat.

He doesn't want it to get washed off his head and over the cliff, see?

SO!

The drop lands with a resounding PLORSH! and spews scummy water everywhere. It's very gross.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Deserted Island

"Minor?" The dragon hisses in response. "As minor as the punishment for murder for some, but steal from the the same people? Then they can make you wish that you were never born."

But Nathair wasn't backing down, instead he was doing the complete opposite. "I am immortal. You of all beings cannot harm be regardless what you do to my possessions." The dragon claims as fearlessly as Nathair, seemingly matching his arrogance step by step.

The eye remains defiantly staring at the phyrexian even as the golden net descends upon it. But perhaps at least some of that confidence is earned since the magic doesn't seem to have the intended effect. The orb remaining completely unaffected as far as Nathair can tell.

"How awkward, but I heard it's a common problem among mammalian males." Is the dragons response, its tone dripping with pure malice.

"But know this, since you stole this you must have noticed that there was an empty slot on the pedestal which held it no? So even if you're convinced that destroying this would harm me somehow, I have another. And if you do somehow manage to destroy it, I am going to find out everything I can about you and then I'm going to devour everyone you ever cared about. That is a promise."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Deserted Island

"Oh, I'm not disputing that people punish thieves severely. But they shouldn't. Things don't matter as much as people," says Nathair matter of factly. Despite what it might seem, he believes people to be extremely important. Perfection has to start somewhere, after all.

He's not at all perturbed by the spell's failure, just nodding in understanding. The dragon's jibe about males does draw a genuine amused smile.

"Good thing I'm neither. So... your connection is more... ethereal than that. If it's truly a part of you, then perhaps that connection works both ways," he muses. The other two Nathairs look at each other, then the feminine one in red steps forward with a wicked smile.

"Good luck in your hunting. Anyone I cared about is long dead. There's nothing you can do to hurt us." She raises her hand, speaking a foul incantation under her breath. The prime Nathair mimics her movements with his gold hand, even as he remains lost in thought.

After a few moments, a dark mist begins to rise from the ground and surround the orb. It's a miasma of undeath, a spell that feeds on life itself. Although easily outrun, on a helpless victim it can reduce them to a drained corpse in minutes. Nathair is testing to see if the dragon can be affected through her orb, and whether the energy of the orb is tied to its lifeforce.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Deserted Island

Their musings regarding a potential way to hurt it through the orb earns them a pause. Perhaps hinting at a moment of certainty.
"You're welcome to try." The dragon as it stares defiantly back at them, followed by what sounds like a loud snort.

The eye then narrows with anger and hate as they claim that it can't hurt them. "I will find them." The creature repeats just as the dark mist starts raising. "...or it."

As the mist then starts getting closer to the orb the reaction is immediate. What first appears to be black smoke starts to raise from the orb but its thickness soon reveal it to be mist which condensation is so high that it soon turns into rain or more accurately, a tiny flood as water seems to be pouring out like from a monsoon.
With the tiny storm comes a sudden but powerful gust of wind that attempts to redirect the deadly mist away from the orb.

But even so, the orb-owner also starts calling out over the sound of the tempest.
"The orbs were made for dragons. Only I can unlock its true potential. You're wasting your time."

Was that a concession of some sort? Since it seems like the orb-owner has started to see the writing on the wall.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Fortress Bay]

Jon, being a dog, doesn't have the same reservations about getting dirty. Thus, he makes no attempts to run for cover, likely getting splooshed in the process. He pants for a few seconds as he processes whats going on before shaking as much of the water off as he can.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Fortress Bay

Oh crap.

Lenny, for all their heightened senses, is too focused on their new friends to notice the raindrop. However, they do notice the cat's reactions, and seeing as both of them are diving for cover, Lenny should probably follow suit-

But they only get a couple feet before the raindrop splashes down, soaking their clothes once more. Lenny's lip curls, revealing exceedingly sharp canines. They don't exactly mind being dirty, but enough is enough and the constant dampness is starting to make them chilly.

"Ahh... damn it." They try to wring some of the water out of their pant legs. "I guess I'll probably wait until this whole thing is done before asking you to clean my jacket again, huh?" That's certainly not going to be the last raindrop.

For a moment, Lenny considers going into full dog mode, since it would probably be a lot more comfortable to not deal with wet clothes. But right now they can translate between Jon and the others, and losing the ability to talk wouldn't help much with that.

Deserted Island

The wind does successfully blow the mist away. But as it does so, an unnaturally wide grin splits Nathair's face. By invoking this defense, the dragon has all but confirmed that the orb can be used to access it. And if the dragon can be hurt through the orb, then it can be blackmailed.

He raises his gold hand, and the mist swirls up and coalesces around it, forming an aura of dark energy. "Huff and puff, but you can't blow this away. I'll weaken your soul until you beg for mercy," he hisses triumphantly, stepping towards the orb.

Then the more humanlike Nathair holds up his hands, halting his counterpart. "Wait, we should think about this. Hurting the dragon will escalate the situation. What if it goes after..." he trails off for a moment. "We don't know how strong it really is. I don't want her to be hurt."

The feminine Nathair rounds on him with a snarl. "An overgrown lizard poses no threat to her, or us. Your cowardice is a stain on our perfection that will not be tolerated. We should kill the dragon and be done with it!"

The prime Nathair gapes at the others for a second, then his gold eye sparks with fury. "Idiots, it can hear you! You are not to undermine me! We are doing this for her. Giving up when we're this close would be a failure, and I CANNOT FAIL!" His voice raises into a metallic screech, and the others take a step back, but they each mutter darkly under their breaths. The orb is forgotten for a moment in the quarrel, although the dark energy still pulses around the prime Nathair's hand.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Seaside
Keeper wrote: Jan 11, 2024 4:38 pm Port Valdez Cave

Well that's certainly an explanation.
"Um. How do you know that they're evil alternate versions of you if they're going on adventures and stuff? That sounds pretty not-evil to me."
Unless they're EVIL adventures. Like finding a legendary puppy to kick.
[Port Valdez Cave]

As they travel through the cave, they'll notice it's a slight upwards incline, and it gets a little brighter.

"Well," June says, "I'm not the evil alternate universe twin which means they are. Right? That's how it works. Somebody has to be the evil twin, and I already called 'not it'." Her tone of voice is lighthearted; it's clear that she's not serious about knowing for sure the others are evil. "I'm sure they'll understand."

She continues upwards, only briefly pausing to draw on the map and to make the diving gear more comfortable on her.

Soon, actual direct sunlight reaches into the cave...and the two of them can see the end of the cave. The front of the cave is actually a little overgrown with bushes, so they might have to cut up the plants (or just power through) to get through them unscratched.
Admittedly, scales and thick shark skin might be enough to get through fine, but only half of June is covered in scales.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

quillpleasant wrote: Feb 07, 2024 5:38 am Deserted Island

The wind does successfully blow the mist away. But as it does so, an unnaturally wide grin splits Nathair's face. By invoking this defense, the dragon has all but confirmed that the orb can be used to access it. And if the dragon can be hurt through the orb, then it can be blackmailed.

He raises his gold hand, and the mist swirls up and coalesces around it, forming an aura of dark energy. "Huff and puff, but you can't blow this away. I'll weaken your soul until you beg for mercy," he hisses triumphantly, stepping towards the orb.

Then the more humanlike Nathair holds up his hands, halting his counterpart. "Wait, we should think about this. Hurting the dragon will escalate the situation. What if it goes after..." he trails off for a moment. "We don't know how strong it really is. I don't want her to be hurt."

The feminine Nathair rounds on him with a snarl. "An overgrown lizard poses no threat to her, or us. Your cowardice is a stain on our perfection that will not be tolerated. We should kill the dragon and be done with it!"

The prime Nathair gapes at the others for a second, then his gold eye sparks with fury. "Idiots, it can hear you! You are not to undermine me! We are doing this for her. Giving up when we're this close would be a failure, and I CANNOT FAIL!" His voice raises into a metallic screech, and the others take a step back, but they each mutter darkly under their breaths. The orb is forgotten for a moment in the quarrel, although the dark energy still pulses around the prime Nathair's hand.
Deserted Island

Megeshi the dragon tried to scramble her mind for a solution, for a way out of this situation, and at this point she was willing to try anything.

Yet nothing came to her.

All she could focus on were the taunts, the insults and ultimately, the feeling of helplessness and with that came the memories. The nightmare of not being in control over her own body, her own mind.

Her mind reeled with the humiliation of despite everything she had gained she was mentally back where it had all started. Of being completely helpless.

Then she suddenly remembered.
The ambrosia she had survived on during all that time, the only feeling that had made her feel anything but weak and vulnerable. Her oldest friend.

It felt so right to give into it again.
Even if she knew it wouldn't help her it was better than what she felt now.
But then again, anything was.

The orb starts flaring an angry red as purple mist starts pouring out of it at an alarming rate. But rather than turning into more clouds it suddenly takes a solid form of scales and feathers.

A massive dragon crowed by a halo of pure golden light in the exact same shape as the orb.

Then Megeishi ROARS.

The winds that previously blew away the smoke grow in strength exponentially, her rage manifesting as a tornado on a devastating scale. Causing even any trees on the island to start to uproot.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Deserted Island

The Nathairs leave off their bickering as the orb starts to glow. What new defense mechanism is this? The prime Nathair steps forward, hissing as he brings up his magic shrouded hand. But upon realizing what's happening he drops back with a look of alarm.

This can't be happening. Why now? He had been sure that the dragon wasn't capable of manifesting through the orb. This is really, really bad.

The winds batter the three Nathairs, but they each rise into the air with a rising humming sound, the nanobots that comprise their bodies working overtime to fight against the tornado. The human Nathair's hands transform into a pair of submachine guns while the female Nathair turns her arms into vicious scything blades.

And the prime Nathair looks the dragon directly in her eyes, his cracked golden orb winking in the fading light. His mouth splits into a monstrously wide grin, rows of vibrating razor teeth growing in an instant.

"If I can't master the orb for her... then I'll bring her your head!" he screams, and without hesitation all three Nathairs attack in perfect coordination.

A hail of armor piercing bullets target her right wing in an attempt to punch a hold through it, while the second Nathair shoots forward to slash at the base of her skull. Lastly, the prime Nathair sends his gold hand flying out, cracking with necrotic energy. A hit is capable of draining life force, akin to the attack of a powerful undead.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Deserted Island

Megeshi wasn't quite aware of what was happening, that her rage had somehow done something which her intellect could not. It was as she was in a dream. A dream about killing and eating those she hated.

The best kind of dream.

Being controlled purely by instinct she has no thoughts of what to do or what her prey will do next. But she could see them coming from a mile away. If her mind had been more aware of the past she might have compared them to Wenomir those times she had faced him in combat.
He had darted around her faster than she could blink yet his actions were predictable enough for her to parry despite his speed.
And this food weren't any different, all she needed was her weapon.

And so lighting strikes thrice. To an observer it would have been seen as simultaneous but there's actually a fraction of a second between them.
The first Nathair will find that the hail of bullets disappear mid-air.
The second will find her scythes impact with an invisible wall which pushes her right back.
Finally, Nathair prime's gold hand is cleaved apart mid-air but this time the culprit stays long enough for them to see it.
Its an impossibly large blade made of an equally impossible material, wielded by a pair of spectral hands.

As this plays out Megeshi spreads her wings and then brings them down in one big swoop. Both causing herself to disappear up into the black clouds which has formed above and for the winds to suddenly change directions and start to swirl around her. Trapping any Nathair close enough in a whirlwind.

The floating blade seems completely unaffected by the winds however, its interaction with the physical world appearing rather selective.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Deserted Island

Among Nathair's many talents is his extreme reaction time. When every part of your body functions as a sensory organ, it's easy to keep track of things. So the dragon has some sort of magical blade. Well, that could be difficult...

The deflected bullets change their trajectory in the air, circling around back to Nathair. Waste not, want not. Meanwhile, the blade absolutely does not cleave his gold hand in half. An artifact of extreme age and power, it's survived the explosion of a planet before, and even scratching its surface is nigh impossible. The impact sends out golden sparks, but the hand retains its deathly magic.

The tornado of Megeshi's ascent sends the flying Nathairs spinning, but this doesn't seem to bother them much, their bodies rapidly shifting to remain upright regardless of the air around them. All three stare up with hateful expressions.

Seeing a beast of such power is... sickening. So much wasted potential. This dragon could be so beautiful, so pure, if only she weren't incompleat. In another life, perhaps they could have been allies.

But maybe her corpse can be repurposed in service of the oil. The thought cheers him up a little bit. He has to kill her first of course- no easy feat. But he's a tactician, and despite her powers she's blinded by rage. It's why she's not simply trying to escape. She wants revenge, and she'll come to him.

"You're a coward!" he screams after her, amplifying his voice to be heard over the roaring winds, "A pathetic worm who couldn't even keep your horde safe!" Add fuel to the fire, make her see red.

With a wave of his hand, the two other Nathairs dissolve, flying apart into a cloud of nanoparticles. They reform in six clumps spaced out across the island, shaping themselves into heavy anti aircraft guns, locking in place on the rocky ground. Without pause they swivel to track her and then each send out a hail of powerful bullets, much stronger than the earlier attempt. These rounds will home in on her, faster than the human eye can follow. He's hoping she can't block that many at once.

Meanwhile the prime Nathair just watches, his hand at the ready, for her inevitable descent.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Deserted Island

He can hear the dragon let out another roar even through the winds swirling around him.
It sounds pissed.

Turning right around she starts to dive towards where she was sure the food was.
But her descent is intercepted as bullets starts to fly around her, making her growl in frustration.

Why couldn't she just kill this thing? Why couldn't she just feast on its metal body? She had eaten metal before.

Then she comes comes eyes glowing with rage, though probably not where Nathair expected she would.
But that's okay though since neither did Megeshi.

She has made some serious miscalculations when she turned around and later had to change her trajectory while being shoot.

So rather than coming down at the island in fiery blaze of glory, she comes down at the sea going at a speed fueled by rage rather than sense. Realizing her mistake too late she disappears into the waves with a big splash.

But it's alright. It was all a part of her master plan. She could still swim, breath underwater and bullets tended to function a lot worse down here.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Deserted Island

As Megeshi plunges down, Nathair tenses, ready to disperse and let her smash headfirst into the rocks. But apparently that's not her plan at all, as she plunges into the water instead. Well.

It doesn't even occur to him that the dive was simply an error. Despite his attempts to drive her into rage, he had no idea it would be so effective. Instead, he immediately assumes it's a strategy- and a good one at that.

He's well aware that some dragons are more suited to an aquatic environment, and although he had assumed that was not the case here because of Megeshi's feathers, the existence of diving birds proves that such a combination is entirely possible. And it's unfortunate, because the water isn't an ideal environment for him. He's much faster in the air, and water creates enough drag to limit the effectiveness of some of his high speed attacks- like the bullets. If she's amphibious and used to water combat, then he'd be at even more of a disadvantage.

So Nathair elects not to pursue her. His golden eye glitters as he tracks her position, the x-ray capabilities allowing him to see effortlessly through the stony island and the dark water. At least she won't be able to surprise him. Dispersing into a cloud, he reforms in the center of the island, while the anti-aircraft guns sprout propellers and take to the air, hovering like drones as they prepare to unleash another hail whenever she emerges once more.

"You're not even going to chase her? Some warrior you are," he snarls, then shakes his head violently. "Shut up! You're a reckless idiot, and I'm better than that now! Better!" It seems the identity crisis is still ongoing within the gestalt swarm that is Nathair.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Deserted Island

As it turns out, a unprompted cold shower was just was Megeshi needed to cool down a bit.
Furthermore, she was now committed to the sea-based strategy, otherwise it might look like she had made a mistake and she couldn't have that.

Waiting around for a few minutes it becomes clear that Nathair wasn't intending to follow her beneath the waves. So it looked like she had to take the waves to him. Since this thief probably had no idea how poor a location he had picked for this. There was a reason why she had made her lair in the nexus right next to the sea.

Seaside was known for its dangerous storms, in just a few hours the weather could go from clear to oppressive and even deadly. But when it started to happen in a manner of minutes then there was something else going on.
Since Nathair can see clouds rolling in from all directions and with them the sea around the island becomes increasingly violent. Since while the winds of the hurricane that had whirled around the dragon had all but dissipated these ones seem to come in from all directions. Usually there was a set direction of the wind to come in from but now it constantly seem to change.

Soon enough, no matter in which direction Nathair looked all he could see on the horizon was dark clouds and hear the thunder accompanying them.

On seaside's own weather channel there's a sudden live update as the goblin weathercaster explains how several stormfronts were all unexpectedly changing direction. She wasn't sure what was happening yet but such a sudden change could only mean there was magic involved and if she had to guess it would seem that the storms were all converging on a single location in the middle of nowhere. This of course meant that everywhere else in the region would be storm-free, which would be happy news for all their brave sailors out at sea.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Deserted Island

It doesn't take long for Nathair to notice the gathering storm. Well, at least this confirms what he's been suspecting- this is a storm dragon. Weather control, probably a lightning breath. Not the best, but it could be worse. At least she's not a frost dragon.

But he can see how this is going to play out. Giving her a chance to lurk in the water was a mistake- she's not as reckless now, and he's lost his edge. She's playing the waiting game, probably more than content to hide out of view while calling down lightning strikes from above. A coward's tactic, but an effective one.

Nathair could take the fight to her, of course. It's not like he'd be helpless- he can already imagine sending some sharklike bodies down to do battle with her. But that incorporeal blade no doubt moves just as fast through the water. It would be foolhardy to try to contend with that while he was bogged down.

No, it's time for something more dramatic. Something that will prove his power in a way that even a dragon would find worrisome. Nathair holds out his golden hand, and a surge of invisible telekinetic power ripples across the island. And then- he pulls.

And with a grinding cracking sound that echoes through the water, the island starts to move, ripped up from the seafloor by Nathair's magic. Made of almost solid rock, this is no easy feat, even for him, and the phyrexian grits his teeth as his hand shakes with power. But it continues to rise, water cascading off and roiling underneath as it fills the space left behind.

As the island lifts into the air, Nathair's golden eye swivels downward to track Megeshi's movements. The threat here should be clear- if he gets it high enough without being stopped, then he can simply drop it on her. Even a dragon can't survive being crushed by thousands of tons of stone. He's not expecting that to work- he's expecting it to get her back into the air, where his turrets are waiting to open fire.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Deserted Island

Megeshi should not be very difficult to track. The downside of having a halo around your head was that its radiant glow is easy to spot even under water. Its light illuminating the massive dark shape lurking underneath the surface.

And what Nathair just managed to accomplish does certainly seem to bring her pause.
Then she starts swimming away, confident that she could move faster than a floating island.

But this is not a retreat, no, no.
She was chasing Nathair, not the other way around, by making sure he couldn't get away. Since that was clearly what he was trying to do right now. Escape on a floating island.

But those storm winds still blowing Nathair in the face? They're getting colder as the clouds that have already gathered above start to bring down hail.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Deserted Island

The cold weather is unpleasant. Extreme temperatures do Nathair no favors, and the longer this persists the more the dragon can shape the battlefield to her advantage. Better start doing something about it.

The drones all return to Nathair, effortlessly melting back into him. Although his size remains the same, his density increases as more nanobots are added, giving him the strength he needs for this particular strategy. If the dragon won't come face him, then he'll just have to flush her out.

Raising his golden hand, he clenches it into a fist, sending a shockwave of power across the island's surface. And with that it shatters, huge cracks dividing it into a series of massive boulders still bound together by the telekinetic field. The sound is as loud as any thunderclap.

As the hand's energy passes through him, Nathair's body ripples, and he grimaces. Using the hand for something this extreme would have put him in a coma before compleation- but now it just staggers him a little. It's truly glorious what he's become capable of.

Slowly, he moves his hand to point down at Megeshi, lining up the trajectory. Then the first boulder launches down at her, the ten foot chunk of stone reaching terminal velocity in an instant with a nudge of telekinesis. A split second later and another one shoots down, then another and another. Despite the island being relatively small, it's still large enough to keep up this boulder barrage for a good while. Of course, the dragon's blade can defend herself quite well, but a constant pummeling should be difficult even for her.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Deserted Island

Megeshi watches as the drones return to their master, expecting a new trick.

Considering what he could do without the drones this one must be even more impressive-
...no, she would never consider a thief to be impressive.

Dangerous though. She had to admit that.

But it's watching this display of pure power that she suddenly becomes aware of it.
Where did the orb go? Since all this time it had felt like it was right besides her. Like she had been holding on to it. Yet now she suddenly realized that it wasn't there. It was as if she had swallowed it. It was just with her somehow, as was its power. Her power.

However, she had let this revelation distract her.
Pieces of one of the first boulders which her sword had just cut in twain striking her right in the neck. She growls in pain but it was just a bruise at most. Still, it enraged her in a way that was less about the physical pain and more about her own wounded pride.

She was a dragon yet she was forced to hide? This thief-creature was nothing.

With a roar she suddenly emerges from the water and flies straight up. Using her tail to block boulder after boulder that's being launched at her while the sword deflects the rest. And she's going straight for Nathair without showing any signs of slowing down.
Floating all around her and following her every movement are now dozens of orbs of various sizes from football to beachball sized, all made of water.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Deserted Island Broken Island

Finally! Nathair was getting fed up with waiting. Sniping from a distance isn't a real fight, it's just play. He's growing to hate this dragon, this being who's already humiliated him once. He wants to be nice and close and personal when he kills her, so he can see the life drain from her eyes.

The water gives him pause. Clearly she's using it as a shield against his bullets. Well, he doesn't need bullets. He has a lot more up his sleeve.

As the dragon approaches, he focuses his power, sending the rest of the island crashing down towards her at once. It's a relief to not have to keep holding it up. Along with it, he snaps off a couple long metal bolts, the ends barbed like harpoons, and launches them down too for good measure.

Whenever she makes it through that barrage, regardless of how much or little damage she takes, Nathair will suddenly dive towards her, his speed putting a falcon to shame. But this isn't just an attack. He's watching, seeing how she'll react to a frontal assault, what weapon she'll rely on. Ready to adapt to her strategy on the fly.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Broken Island

Despite the dragons size she was agile. Managing to avoid many of the boulders that she didn't manage to deflect or block.
She was vaguely aware of the island falling in the background but that was actually something she had accounted for in a rare moment of foresight. Something she needed to use more in the future rather than letting her emotions rule over her again and again.

But as things were, perhaps it could be of more use to her than the thief depending on what happened next.

Then she spotted the thief and how he suddenly came diving towards her. Her first instinct was just unleashing her breath weapon in his direction but she had to remind herself that letting her emotions rule yet again would be a mistake. Since she didn't actually know how effective it would be against the creature and considering how tough he had proven himself to be he would likely be capable of divine through it.

So instead she suddenly comes to an halt and closely follows Nathir with her gaze while letting the sword deal with the remaining boulders. She was letting him come to her rather than the other way around.
But that's not to say she was being completely defensive as three of the water orbs swirling around her are launched back at him. Lets so how eager he was to avoid water.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Broken Island

It's a pity that the dragon seems to have lost her earlier fury. If she's staying on the defensive, then that means she's less prone to making mistakes. But they could sit here and play chess all night- or Nathair could just sweep all the pieces off the board and end this.

The latter sure sounds appealing.

As the water orbs are launched, Nathair doesn't even bother dodging, just hurtling through them. Water doesn't actually damage him- it's just an effective bullet shield, and it does slow him down a little. But he's giving up for now on hanging back and launching artillery at her. No, now he's just really, really hungry.

She'll notice that his speed isn't slowing at he plummets towards her- he's not bracing for an attack, or coming from an unexpected angle, or even growing any natural weaponry. In fact, he's on a collision course.

And Nathair is ready for her blade. As he comes within its reach, his body disperses into a cloud of nanoparticles in an instant, rendering physical blows all but useless should she try to bat him out of the way. And then a second later all those nanoparticles turn into a thick black oil. Unless she has some way of shielding herself, Nathair's momentum will cause him to splatter all over her, almost like a bucket of water being dumped on someone's head.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Broken Island

The dragon was indeed planning to use the sword to block him until he decides to ignore the orbs of water she sent his way. He's moving so fast that the liquid probably won't stick on such small surfaces for long so the rest of the orbs are launched at him as well as she's setting her plan into motion.

Since she's also going for one final gambit. No longer any time thinking of an alternative.

She opens her maw as is she was about to unleash her breath weapon right at him. But rather than breathing out she's breathing in.

Dragons of her kin were seen as fires in the sense that they were consuming everything, including the very air around them it seemed. However, their consumption was also on a more metaphysical level as they also consumed spirits. Usually this came in the form of larger, usually harmful, spirits since consuming the smaller ones could be devastating, including to the dragon itself.

Since as Megeshi opens her mouth she instantly devours all spirits she could consume in a roughly 50 feet in diameter area around her maw.
Nathair will feel how he's suddenly drained of all his momentum as all the water around them, including the one in the air, flash freezes. But much like a fire consuming all the oxygen inside a room this wasn't good for anyone as Megeshi had just robbed herself of the momentum keeping her in the air and a moment later she drops right out of the sky. Plummeting towards the sea underneath her.

If this had been in any sort of spirit-poor environment she might have, just like the metaphorical fire her kind was so in/famous for being, died.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Under The Sea

There's a pile of ten shipping containers here, blown off a cargo ship in heavy seas. Eddie and Frigate have been hired through MERC to recover the contents of one. They've landed on the edge of an undersea canyon, deep enough there's little light beyond the glow of the magical lamps the mercenaries have been given. Frigate holds one, and has gone without his usual gunpowder weapons; instead, he's got his enchanted cutlass and an arbalest, as if he can't make a loud noise he wants to be able to make a big hole.

Unfortunately, it seems they aren't the first to arrive. A group of humanoid fish-people, with bulging eyes and pallid scales, are already here. There's eight visible, working under the auspices of a slightly taller example holding a mancatcher, standing atop a pinnacle of rock nearby. Most of the fish-people are naked, though their leader is draped in loose robes made from plastic bags stitched together. They don't notice Eddie and Frigate, instead levering one of the containers to the edge of the canyon and using long spars and levers, pushing it over the cliff.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Broken Island

Nathair was expecting the dragon's blade, or perhaps a breath weapon, or even some kind of evasive maneuver. What he was not expecting was the world to suddenly turn cold and still. This is a form of magic he's never encountered, and his violent haughtiness turns to confusion and fear in an instant.

Caught in and between the splashing water orbs, a good majority of Nathair is frozen solid, trapped in the ice as it begins to tumble down. Bit and pieces of his being not caught in the water simply detach, and he falls apart, most of him entombed.

But the parts not surrounded by water aren't unaffected. In the midst of transforming into oil, which is itself a liquid, they're also frozen. Slivers of black ice rain down amongst the larger chunks of water.

Of course, none of this will severely damage him- he's just temporarily trapped. And that won't last long. His parts immediately start trying to free themselves, the nanobots eating away at the ice surrounding them. But it won't save them from dropping down into the water.

His hand is also frozen, trapped in a block of its own with a cloud of nanobots around it. If he had room to use it, he could shatter his way free in an instant. But as it is, he just has to hope the dragon's attack has thrown herself off too much to capitalize before he eats his way to freedom.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Broken Island

It worked.

She was falling but the monster was frozen!

Starting to beat her wings to regain flight she manages to get a good look at Nathair through the rain of frozen water droplets.

Was the darkness inside the ice moving?

She had hoped that had would have been it. That whatever cursed machinery that drove him would have stop functioning at such low temperatures. But no, it had only imprisoned him by the looks of it, and it didn't look like it was going to hold for long.

Well, then she would just have try something else.

With a final beat of her wings she raises upwards and following her her is a pillar of water raising straight out of the ocean which seeks to engulf the ice consuming Nathair. Then she's going to unleash her breath weapon at it.
But she's not planning to stick around however. She was curious as to see how this machine monster reacted to getting completely engulfed in water and electrocuted but after all that he had pulled her willingness to stay around was just about spent.

After all, the orb was now hers again. The only reason she had stayed around was because of anger and pride.