Seaside

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: Seaside

Post by Rebonack »

[Crab Survey]

The khajiit won't have much trouble finding Jade and Tristan thanks to her spell. Also thanks to the fact that they're apparently talking to some kind of giant? Maybe? Depending on how familiar she is with the trolls from Tamriel that word probably won't even cross her mind looking at this creature. Those trolls are more like three eyed, extra angry chimpanzees. This thing is more akin to a giant with so much weedy green hair that its whole face is obscured save for its comically long, pointed nose.

Meanwhile!

The troll eyes Jade, that one beady eye once more peeking through its hair.

"Is that a jest, then? Going to joke about it? Should I just hop back under my bridge to fetch my card reader?" the troll replies, its tone deeply condescending. Apparently the troll does know about technology? That might be something of a surprise, given that it lives out here in the middle of nowhere. There aren't exactly any settlements nearby so how exactly would it know about this stuff?

"Alright, what DO you want, then?" Tristan asks, probably less concerned by the troll looming over him than he should be. If the troll decided to get violent would he and Jade be able to take the thing? Chimera's no slouch and Jade has her pistol at the very least. But when your foe is literally a sapient sand-dune full of sharp rocks combat can get touch and go pretty quickly. Granted, he would really prefer to resolve this in a more amiable way if that's possible.

"Something valuable," the troll replies, pointing at each of our heroes in turn. "To you. And you. Something that means something to you. I'm a troll, what do I care about money?"

Tags:
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Crab Survey- Troll Bridge

The khajiit will turn up to hear the troll ask for something valuable. Perhaps she could fight it, but she remembers the last time she fought a giant- she hit the sky, and had to reload. She can't remember saving recently, so she'd hate to have to redo all this crab-gathering; she didn't think they'd be a big enough pest to make saving worthwhile. So... something valuable. The khajiit looks through their pockets and finds a handful of gemstones, a silver ingot, and the iron dagger she was given by her parents when she left home. That's not valuable at all, except sentimentally, which... might be what the troll wants.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Crab Survey
Jade shakes her head. "Don't have anything valuable on us." Right? Nothing? Unless the troll wants some stupid magic price that Jade's not willing to pay. That would be awful.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Crab Survey- Troll Toll Bridge]

Pppff.

The cat has save files?

That would be a really useful trick to be able to pull out.

Sadly Jade and Tristan have no such nonsense available to them.

"Really? Nothing? You haven't got a single thing on you lot that's important to you?" the troll wonders aloud in the most condescending voice possible.

Tristan glances over at Jade again, then sighs. "I think he means something that's sentimental to us," he says.

"Oi! The sisters here have got it!"
Tristan frowns at the continued gaiad references.
"Just pony up something you wouldn't ever want to part with and you're free to go."

After a moment of hesitation Tristan pulls his wallet out and, carefully, withdraws a small orange stone about the size of a half dollar. Jade might recognize it. A worry stone Tristan keeps on his person most of the time. Something he rolls around in his fingers when he isn't doing anything else. One of the few things from home he has left.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Crab Survey
Jade frowns. Unlike Tristan or the unnamed Khajit, she doesn't carry sentimental objects on her. She has a thought, but... Would it even work?
She hates dealing with magic.
She sighs. "Take my... Red hair." Can the troll take that? It does have sentimental value to her. But it's not exactly an object one can hold on to.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Crab Survey

The cat has a save file. And she's not very good at keeping it updated. Although that said, now's a good time to use it, so standing near the bridge and pulling a pair of dead mudcrabs behind her, the khajiit adventurer saves her game. She tethers her life and condition and equipment to this spot of ground, so if she dies or decides to reload the game she'll find herself back here with a slightly broken arm and two dead mudcrabs. If Tristan's left the area, it might interfere with his notes.

Now she's saved, the khajiit will try to use the distraction of Jade's offer to sprint across the bridge, pulling the mudcrab corpses behind her.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Crab Survey- Troll Toll Bridge]

"Now, see, that's the right idea? That little stone; that's a treasure to you so that's what I want!" the troll booms. "Toss it into the river and- eh?"

Then Jade speaks up! This leaves the troll suitably distracted.

"Yer hair? Are you daft? What do I look like, a scheming kobold spinning gold for yer firstborn? I don't deal in no magical nonsense I want-"

And then the adventurer starts running across the bridge.

Which...

Probably wasn't a great plan.

"Oi, none of that now!"

The giant's fist comes flying down from above with all the force of a landslide. Enough force to shatter the bridge which might seem like a pretty bad idea considering what the troll does for a living.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Crab Survey
Jade gives a loud sigh at the Troll's response. Is it relief at not having to give up her hair, of frustration that her idea won't be accepted? Probably a bit of both.
But then nonsense. With the bridge destroyed, the troll won't be getting any toll from Jade. At least partly because she's now falling down towards the river.

Jade and water don't get along well This day probably can't get any worse. Except by saying that, I've almost certainly guaranteed it will.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Crab Survey

The khajiit is smashed, her body limply flung from the bridge into the gorge below, bouncing several times.

Then the khajiit reappears back where she started, and her previous actions are reversed. This may fix the bridge, since she was no longer crossing it to get hit to break the bridge. Memories are more resistant to the change, so Tristan, the troll, and Jade should have some memory of the khajiit's failed crossing. Depending on their resistance to mind-altering magic or time effects, it may or may not be disjointed and confusing or relatively complete and accurate.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Crab Survey]

Reality stutters.

"Now, see, that's the right idea? That little stone; that's a treasure to you so that's what I want!" the troll booms. "Toss it into the river and- eh?"

Then Jade speaks up! This leaves the troll suitably distracted.

"Yer hair? Are you daft? What do I look like, a scheming kobold spinning gold for yer firstborn? I don't deal in no magical nonsense I want something REAL. An object. Something that means something to you, see?"

Tristan, meanwhile, blinks and glances around.
Something just changed.
Huh?
Things change all the time Aries that's how linear time works.
N-no, I mean... something's different. This isn't how things played out.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Crab Survey
"Huh?" Jade seems disoriented. She could swear they had this conversation already. "I
really don't have anything. Not like that."
the troll might disagree. But as far as she's concerned, she doesn't.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Crab Survey

Well, that didn't work. Which is about what the khajiit expected, really, though it's useful to know the troll's first instincts are physical. Doesn't rule out magical weirdness, but means it's not the troll's primary tool. As its words now back up, so... perhaps she could have avoided the sensation of such a large fist colliding with her shoulders and smashing her into and then through a stone bridge. Well, too late now, and besides some phantom pains there's no long-term damage from the effect. So instead she'll pull out the iron dagger she received when she left home, and hold that up instead.

Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Earl of Purple wrote: Jan 07, 2023 4:13 pm Locura de Adan

Frigate fortunately doesn't have any questions. He'd perhaps be interested in their flag, since a pirate vessels' Jolly Roger tells a story about the captain, the crew and the ship, but he'll see it soon enough. He'd be reasonably happy to answer any nautical questions Krayger might have, since Frigate's got a lifetime's experience at sea. A short life, due to his nature, but still a life.
Keeper wrote: Jan 09, 2023 4:32 am Locura de Adan

The man will be disappointed as the minotaur only says, "No questions."
He's worked for this kind of man before. No respect, no professionalism. Will probably try to find an excuse to not pay them what they advertised. Well. They'll see if he's still like that when he sees Krayger's lightning hammer.

He packed plenty. He has no objections to them leaving.
[Locura de Adan => Off The Coast]

The tricorn-wearing man gives them both a little nod, and then promptly turns away and forgets about them, busying himself with the other details of loading the ship up for its voyage. Which, in fairness to him, is a task that's set to last for several hours yet, and quite logistically complicated.

But, when those hours pass, the anchors are pulled up and the sails unfurled, and with little more ceremony than is necessary to inform the crew (Frigate and Krayger included) that they're leaving, the ship pulls out of the dock and begins its journey.

For the first week or so, the trip is uneventful. If either of the mercenaries gets bored, they might be able to amuse themselves watching the coastline drift slowly by over the starboard side, further exaggerating the lack of speed presented by Sally's Right Hook as it makes its way through the first leg of its journey; Krayger might get the impression that, if they could shoulder their cargo, it might have been faster to simply get out and walk.

But, on the eighth night of their journey, there will finally be something resembling action... of a sort.

On the main deck, the night watchmen can be heard conversing among themselves, vaguely perturbed by something they'd seen.

"...n't moved a bit. Must have run aground."

"...any reefs in this area."

"Any sign of distress? Maybe they're just anchored... several miles off the shore. Yeah."

"Can't spot it from here. But they're probably caught on something, right?"

"Should we wake the captain?"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Crab Survey]

Always a fun realization.

Well THAT didn't work.

Well, the adventurer isn't crushed into jelly anymore so that's definitely a plus. Also Jade isn't dumped into the river anymore so that is also a plus.

"Well you had best come up with something good, girlie, or else you're not crossing my bridge," the troll replies to Jade. Then he gestures at Tristan and the adventurer. "Just toss your toll over the side into the river, see? Then you're free to cross."

"Would I be able to pay something else to let Jade cross, too?" Tristan inquires.

At this the troll scoffs. "Only if it's something valuable to HER, not you."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Locura de Adan- Off the Coast

Frigate does not get bored easily, and will help if he can in keeping the vessel shipshape. If this means spending a day or two in the bilge working a pump whilst carpenters find and fix the leak, then that's fine- Frigate doesn't get tired or need to sleep. This also means, if nobody else needs him, he's likely to be on deck keeping the night watchmen company. He'll hear the chatter, and pulls out a spyglass which he'll put in front of the middle of the eyeslit in his head/helmet, staring out at the stationary vessel to see what he can make out about it.

Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Locura de Adan

Krayger is good at busying himself. Though he won't be telling the crew that the little charms he's been making in the last few days are actually magic.
"Alright, folks. What's going on?" asks Krayger in his bass voice as he comes up from behind the chatty sailors.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Crab Survey
Jade shrugs. She really doesn't have anything she thinks of as especially valuable. But will the troll be able to tell? She sighs. "Fine."
She pulls out a small object, about two inches across. It's made of dark grey plastic and sparkling glass. It's a glorified flashbang grenade, but most importantly it's a pretty object that she's hopefully managed to feign reluctance to get rid of.
Of course, she seems reluctant, but the troll might know, a Kumiho wields seeming like a sword.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Crab Survey

The khajiit rolls her shoulder and winces, since she still aches from the death that didn't happen. She does pull the iron dagger from her sister out, ready to offer it to the troll, though she's planning on crossing the river last.

Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Off The Coast]

"See for yourself." A nearby crewman advises Krayger, handing him a spyglass.

He and Frigate will both get a view of the aforementioned ship this way; at this distance, her outline is still difficult to make out, but the lanterns that mark her bow and stern can be seen from here. They appear to be askew, and to be so at this distance implies that the ship is being propped up on one side, or else weighed down on the other. As Krayger and Frigate watch, a flashing light appears along her starboard side... another lantern, it looks like, this one flashing in rhythmic intervals. Three brief flashes, three longer, slower blinks, and then three more flashes, before going dark for a full second and starting all over again.

"...Captain's going to want to see this." The crewman nearest Frigate mumbles.

"Like hell he is. You've met the man, haven't you? He's going to say she's near enough land and don't need our help. Then he'll berate us for waking him in the first place."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Off the Coat

"Could be wreckers. If'n so, th' shore be no refuge for her nor her crew. Got a flashy light I see, looks t' be a pattern. Ye know what it be meanin'?" There's an obvious guess, but Frigate would rather not have to guess in case he's wrong. He's also going to swing his spyglass over to the shore to see what the condition of the land is like; whether he can tell if it's the kind of coast favoured by wreckers and lighthouse keepers.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Crab Survey]

Three objects are tossed into the river.

Plunk!
Plunk!
Plunk!

The troll watches the ritual, apparently satisfied. "Alright then you lot. You've paid the toll. Your payment is good for a year and a day. But if you want to use my bridge again after that you'll have to pay again."

That's it, then.

They've paid the troll toll.

Tristan hurries across the bridge, visibly irritated that he had to give up that stone. But clearly this work is more important to him. The stone was something special. It had a story. In the end, though, it was just a thing.

Should Jade glance back she'll see the troll watching her. It gives a knowing smirk when their eyes meet.

It knows.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Crab Survey
Jade shoots the troll a coy smile and a wink.
She knows he knows. But he should've known better than to trust a fox.
Will there be a reckoning? Maybe. But Jade will be ready.

With that out of the way, she squeezes Tristan's hand. "Are you all right?" She doesn't know the story about that stone, but she's sure it's much more valuable than the other things that were thrown away.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Crab Survey

Once across the bridge, the khajiit saves herself again. and winces as she overwrites the previous self. It's hard to explain how weird that feels.

"This one has crab, if you have time for it." She's still dragging them, as the troll provided too much distraction to actually hand them over for dissection.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Off the Coast

"Well, you don't think it's a trap by pirates do you?" Krayger asks. It's his job to look out for pirates, after all.
"Otherwise we either send someone to check or don't." It's certainly not his call.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Jan 23, 2023 9:51 pm [The Coast]

"I would like that, yes. The dragon has an important message to this community and I'd rather not wait." Askeladd opts to emphasize the urgency of his mission delicately but unambiguously.
[The Coast]

The bugbear woman curtly nods and gently gleans the door open. Just giving it a gentle push before slipping inside and closing it again after her.
It sounds like another chant has started up but after a few seconds it suddenly stops.
Then the woman opens up the door again, bowing as she does.

Inside there are a small gathering of people sitting gathered around a podium. Some are still seated in the pew's placed around it but some are now standing up and as Askeladd enters the room, so does everyone else. Staring at him with a mix of confusion, wonder and fear.
At the podium stands what seems to be a clergymember of sort judging by how he's dressed in a blue robe. If Askeladd has ever seen a dwarf before this man would fit the bill, though given the lack of a beard and his baldness, it might have been hard to guess.

Behind him is what must be the painting Megeshi mentioned. Thought 'tapestry' might be a more accurate description of it as it covers most of the wall. It depicts a serpentine dragon which takes up every inch of the cloth it has been painted on. Yet as large as the tapestry is not even it seems to be able to contain the entirety of the massive being. Its scale-covered coils coming into the frame from every angle only to disappear behind another one. Making it appear as if it has no end.
Taking up nearly the entire middle section is the head of the creature. Its long mustache-like facial features disappearing out of the frame of the painting. But perhaps the most striking feature of this work of art is the dragons eyes which seem to stare right at Askeladd as he enters the room. Almost as if the painting was judging him for being here, invading its territory.

"Ah, welcome." The priest remarks somewhat hesitantly. "What can we do for you?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Coast]

It seems Megeshi was right. These people do practice dragon-worship. Askeladd examines the painting closely, but subtly, his eyes peering behind the material plane. All the while, he seems to stand taller and more imposingly, wordlessly radiating power and authority.

"I come to speak for the dragon who now lives off your coast. She wishes to assure you that she is not a threat."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Crab Survey]

And so our heroes have cross the bridge to a new land.

A land that's basically just like the previous land!

Except without any mudcrabs.

This is pretty important, since it creates a natural control for the study. Always nice when the world decides to provide good lab conditions.

Tristan responds to the squeeze with a slightly morose look. "It was one of the few things I brought with me from home, but it was just a rock. I'll be fine."

It's pretty clear he's a bit sad over losing it.

But hey, sometimes you have to make sacrifices for science. And not getting crushed by trolls.

But then more important things! Like rooting around in the guts of a mudcrab! "Sure, let's get this one cracked open." A few minutes of digging around later and Tristan comes up with-!

"Coconut crab chiten."

A little sliver of it.

"So they HAVE been preying on the coconut crabs. Not too much of a shock, but I was hoping they would stick to prey closer to the water. Coconut crabs don't actually have any gills; they'll drown in the water so they tend to stay clear."

But! This is still important information. Tristan notes it down in his journal.

"Alright," he says, snapping the book shut. "This leg of the trip should MOSTLY just be marking some burrows. There shouldn't be any mudcrabs to worry about."

No doubt there will be something ELSE to worry about instead.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Off The Coast]

Frigate's search turns up no towns, ports, or any other structures along the coastline; this is a completely unremarkable stretch of beach, without so much as a recognizable landmark nearby. If they're wrecking, they're working with minimal information... which might explain why they've run up on the rocks (or something in that vicinity).

"Maybe? Not likely, I suppose." The crewman says with a frown. "Pirates usually go more for intimidation than this sort of trickery. They don't want to ambush us, they want to bully us into giving up our cargo without a fight. That's not to say they couldn't be up to something; as master Frigate pointed out, they could still be wreckers and trying to lure us into choppy waters or something. But I can't say for sure."

"What the devil is going on out here?"

The crewman grimaces as the captain steps out onto the deck, still rubbing at his eyes. "There had better be something interesting tied to all of that commotion, or the lot of you will be scraping barnacles off the hull for a week." He groans, audibly annoyed.
Last edited by Ironsmith on Feb 10, 2023 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Off the Coast

"There be a ship, lookin' t' be in trouble. I don't see signs o' wreckers, so I be thinkin' it be legit issue. Coast looks deserted, too. Not th' spot I'd have picked f'r wreckers." In the UK at least wreckers worked mostly in areas where there weren't large ports or harbours, a way for smaller coastal communities to get their hands on imported luxuries when they were beginning to get left behind by the Age of Sail and Industrial Revolution.

bc56

Post by bc56 »

Crab Survey
"Let's go." Jade wants to put as much distance between herself and that troll as possible. There's been too much weirdness today and she's sure that if she encounters that thing again, it will become violently weird.