Seaside

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: Seaside

Post by Keeper »

Lachrymose Lagoon

"R-ripped?" Henry pokes at one of his pecs. He is, without a doubt, very strong despite being a vaguely round. The members of the Inside Sumo Wrestling League would be quite envious at being built like that without having to work for it.
"But um. Yeah. I guess I really shouldn't complain. Mark's got a face covered in tiny spider legs and Eli doesn't have hands anymore. But being undead isn't so bad."
He tries to get closer to put a hand on Owena's shoulder. He clearly wants to give her a hug but isn't sure if she wants him to since he's a big damp fish.
"So I know a little bit of what you're going through too."

Tags:
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Lachrymose Lagoon -> Butterfly Bay (Beach)]

"...I suppose you would, wouldn't you?" Owena smiles and gives him a friendly punch in the arm, confirming that she does not, in fact, mind touching the fish-man. "...Speaking of which, have you had anything to eat tonight? I don't want to send you back into Inside on an empty stomach. I don't know about you, but for me, that's a bit dicey."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay Beach

"Um. Well no. I guess I could have eaten but I don't really do raw fish yet." It didn't really affect his brain enough to want to snack like a shark.
"I'm also well...that lagoon water isn't super pleasant. I guess I could use a shower and a snack if you have stuff lying around. I don't know if I actually HAVE to eat. I'm partly dead. But I kinda...don't want to find out?" It's not something that sounds safe.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay Beach]

"Let's assume you do." Owena replies. "Better to have food and not need it than to need food, not have it, and find yourself dining on the other passengers on RiftLine. That's nobody's idea of a good time." She shrugs, deciding to downplay the possibility of that happening since it seems likely that'll disturb Henry if he's not even used to the idea of eating live fish yet. "As for a shower... well, um..."

She stops in front of the mud-brick house that is her home and opens the door, which after all this time still doesn't have so much as a lock on it.

"I, um, can't really offer that, sorry. I do know a few spells for clearing gunk off the body, though. But they're not exactly designed to be used on another person, so the best I could do for transferring it is touch..."

Man, the blood vessels in her face are getting a lot of use today.

"...also it involves literally burning everything on your body that isn't a part of you, so you'd be on fire, and I probably should have led with that."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

"Oh right I forgot." Henry momentarily vanishes, causing the robe to fall to the ground along with all the water on him. He reappears, picking up the robe and putting it around his waist again.
"Still can do ghost things. Um. You do have a bathroom though, right?" Do these poor people not have running water?
Somewhere, Codebreaker feels like he could be spending money on something, but not sure why.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

It takes Owena just a second too long to realize what he's doing and therefore avert her gaze, once again turning pinkish in the face. Not helped by the subsequent reminder that her home was... not up to code. "We... don't normally need it. No, um..." She makes a vague gesture with her hands, not quite managing to get the words out.

"...Excretions." She says finally, way too late for it to sound organic.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

"Oh. Well. Uh. A bottle of water is probably enough for me and I can get that anywhere with a silver piece."
Henry tries to make her feel better about it. It's not that big a deal.
"It's okay. I don't really need much." he says more confidently.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"Ah, well, that I can provide." Owena steps over to the room next to her and flips open her trunk, producing a small pouch of coins from inside. "That's a pretty trivial amount for either of us, granted, but I don't see any pockets on you. Not counting my robe, at least, and I know I didn't have anything in there. I don't even bring my phone half the time." She presses the silver coin into his hand and smiles, before producing another one, made from luminescent gold. "And you're going to want to get yourself some clothes. I'm sure you have them at home, so here's that train fare I mentioned."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

"I mean. It's like, six o'clock. I don't think there's many stores that are going to be open this late." He looks down at the gold coin.
"That's also way too much for a pair of shorts. Honestly if you can spare me a towel or something I can return your robe and I can probably get home. I mean. I can also probably just get there while invisible." He's never tried to stay invisible for that long.
"Assuming you want me to go right away."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"Only if you want to." Owena replies, taking a seat on her bed (well, cot) and bunching up her hands by her knees. "I'm not saying you have to go right away. But I also don't want to put you in a position where you have to stop and ask for things before you go, either. Those can be... well, awkward."

More so than the conversation already is.

"Again, we don't really have towels around here. Don't normally need them. None of us are bothered by getting wet, and that's already an outdoors thing." She grimaces. "And in any case, they wouldn't be mine to give away. I'm sure my uncle has some shorts around here that might fit you, but he wouldn't be particularly happy about me giving you his things without permission." At this point, she seems to realize the obvious; while the focus has been on Henry's near-nudity, she's still sitting there in just a swimsuit. Which is... maybe a bit too casual for a complete (if gentlemanly) stranger. As she talks, she stoops into her trunk to retrieve a spare robe, so she can be properly dressed for the rest of this conversation.

At the obvious expense of facing away from Henry and bending all the way over, while still wearing a two-piece swimsuit.

"If you're worried about stores, there's a bazaar nearby that's open at night." She adds, her voice rebounding a bit on the inside of the trunk. "We go up there all the time for supplies. We might be the only vampires in Butterfly Bay that I know of, but there are plenty of people who'd rather go about their business without dealing with the sun. You shouldn't have any trouble finding something. (Ah-ha, there you are.)"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

”Well okay but it’s still a lot just for some shorts or something to get me home. Here you can have your robe back.”
When Owena turns around she’ll find Henry sunk waist-deep through the floor as if it was water.
”I really have to remember that I can do these things more often. I probably could have done that from the start.”
He doesn’t ask how they do laundry without any water. Maybe he’s focusing on this water thing too much but well. Fish.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"Oh, thank-" Owena turns around the receive her robe, only to not find it anywhere near eye level and be forced to look around for a bit, before settling on Henry holding it out to her from his position halfway into her bedroom floor.

"...you." She finishes, once again a bit late, before scooping up her robe and walking it out to the laundry line outside, pinning it up and lighting up a tiny blue flame on her finger, which she sets to the robe. As Henry might expect, it quickly catches ablaze, though it doesn't seem to be harmed by the process.

"That'll be another hour or so." Owena shrugs, before returning to the conversation at hand. "...You, um... you comfortable, down there?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

"Well, I'm not going to lie. It feels really weird and I mostly get around with my tail. But it's better than sitting around with your nice robe around my waist. Um. If this is really weird I can take that coin to the market and come back wearing something."
Henry understands the fact that he is, in fact, very odd.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"Sure, sure. If you're, um... that set on coming back, y-yeah." Owena runs a hand through her hair and tries not to sound nervous. "The bazaar I was talking about is just that way, further up the beach. There's all sorts of lights and a smoke machine, you can't miss it."

Apparently, the merchants there have a bit of a flair for the dramatic.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

Henry gives her a self-conscious look.
"Would you...rather I didn't?" he asks her. He's not sure what that look of hers is trying to say. Is she just awkward because her place is small? Or is she weird because there's a huge naked fishperson being weird in her general vicinity?
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"No!" Owena blurts, before realizing that could easily be taken the wrong way. "I mean yes!" Nope, that's even worse. "I mean... I don't want you to feel like you have to. I guess." She grimaces. "I'm not gonna curse you and your bloodline if you don't come back. Just, um... do whatever you want." She says finally, taking a seat on one of the lawn chairs just outside her house. "...I'll be here if you do come back." She says finally, hoping that makes her position on the matter clear.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

"Oh that's fine. Me and my bloodline are already cursed anyway." Henry shrugs, and proceeds to swim out the door and towards the bazaar.

About twenty minutes later he returns wearing a pair of comfortable, poofy-looking shorts and a sash across his chest.
"Hi Owena! They didn't really have anything that was fin-friendly so I just went with something that didn't have sleeves and stuff. Here's your change. I'll have to pay you back next time I see you." he says, happy to be at mostly eye-level with Owena and not worry about her staring.
He notably did not buy shoes of any kind.

Owena may notice that the "change" is literally all of what she gave him.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

Owena's still waiting outside on the lawn chair, her nose buried in a dusty old tome as she waits for Henry to come back (or for dawn to come, whichever is first), and as such doesn't see him right away. When Henry makes his presence known by offering her coinage back, she lowers the book and turns to face him...

And quietly swallows back a snicker.

"Sorry, I shouldn't laugh." She admonishes herself, reclaiming the money and looking away, still grinning. "That's just... not at all what I expected." Poofy shorts look a bit goofy on anyone, but on him they were so hilariously out of place she couldn't help but respond.

"...Wait, what do you mean by 'pay me back'?" She asks, taking stock of the coins in her hand. "It's all here. You don't even theoretically owe me anything."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

”It’s all he had that fit me! Most people here are like, dog people or something. These baggy things were the only style I could find with a tail hole big enough. My stupid fins get in the way so it has to open right. See?”
Henry turns. Sure enough, the shorts have a somewhat complicated opening on the back so Henry could get the belt on after fitting his large tail through it. There’s no way to get the fins on the end of his tail through any reasonable shaped slit.
”So it was either this or a weird looking kilt-loincloth thing.” he waves a hand. Surely she wouldn’t want him in something so skimpy.
”Right. Forgot the series of events. I was GOING to spend the money you gave me but then I realized I could just borrow a phone and have Sarah help me wire the money through.
But surely I still owe you a little. For the hospitality?”
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"...Oh. Well." Owena leans back in her chair and taps a finger to her chin. "By definition, you wouldn't really owe me for that. But, if you theoretically did want to pay me back, it'd be pretty difficult to figure out how to do that squarely. There's no real cost to having you over, but it definitely benefited you in immaterial ways, so it seems to me the only fair trade for hospitality would be hospitality." She goes a little pale, seeming to just realize what she said. "Not that I'd... I mean, I don't... that's just the theory I mean."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

Henry fixes Owena with a steady look. He has been noticing...a pattern. A pattern that might not be enough for some people but his father did always tell him that humans are always far too shy about saying what's on their mind. So he looks her right in the eye and says it:
"Well my family is in no condition to entertain guests right now. But if you think I owe you for my pleasant experience...I could take you out somewhere fun while the night is still young. But...I think that's what the kids call a date."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"...Well, yes, I suppose it is, isn't it?" Owena smiles and tucks her book under her shoulder. "All right then, Henry. I suppose that settles it. To pay me back for letting you use my robe as a towel, you'll be taking me on a date." She hops up off her chair and dusts herself off, getting rid of the few loose grains of sand that had blown into her robes. "Lead the way."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

Henry offers Owena a hand to hold. "So what kind of things do you like doing? From the sound of it we should avoid anywhere too loud."
If she went to the lagoon for some peace and quiet she probably isn't going to want to go to a crowded dance hall or the amusement park...
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Buttefly Bay]

"Loud is fine. It's 'chaotic and demanding my attention' I've been trying to get away from." Owena grins, putting her hand in Henry's. "If that makes things any easier for you."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

"So what are you feeling, then? Dancing? The fair? Hiding out in the library away from everyone else?" Henry asks Owena with a very toothy grin. He does want to give her some measure of choice here.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"Hm. Well, I like the library as much as the next girl, but it's not exactly date material, is it?" Owena grimaces. "And I, ah, sort of have two left feet. So, by process of elimination, let's have a look at that fair, yeah?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

"Oh, that's alright. My half-sister has four of them." Henry smirks with what might be a wink.
"Sure. I should be able to get us tickets if I give them my card number again."
Hopefully Owena won't be silly about trying to weasel out of him buying them tickets. Even if it's a tiny bit of a hassle because Henry doesn't have any actual cash on him.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

Henry's little joke earns him a brief, snorting laugh and a playful jab in the ribs. Owena might not know Henry's family very well, if at all, but she gets the implications well enough.

Thankfully, she doesn't have any troublesome objections to Henry buying tickets. That was sort of part and parcel to the whole "date" thing. At most, she might insist on reimbursing him later, but going against him just now would take them out of the moment. And they couldn't have that, could they?

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

Owena might have to jab pretty hard to reach Henry's ribs. They're very well protected.
The fair is a small affair, the kind that the town probably either keeps folded up in a warehouse somewhere or hired from the city. A bunch of mechanical rides and game tents set up in a local empty lot, mostly being enjoyed by the local children and teenagers across from the usual night market where Henry bought his clothes.
Of course, the large number of wolfen, cat-folk, and similar people in Butterfly Bay means that not only is Henry not particularly odd here, but there are several food stands selling both usual fare like kettle corn and more carnivore-focused dishes. It smells rather heavenly, though probably fattening.
"They guy said the ticket gets us as many rides as we want, three games, and one snack. What are you in the mood for first?" Henry asks her.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"Well, it's been a while since I've been someplace like here, but my understanding is that you don't want to ride right after a snack." Owena reasons. "So we'll probably be doing that either last or with the games providing a buffer of some sort. So... rides first, it seems." She's not sure how much the usual issue of nausea applies to her, or Henry, for that matter, but tonight isn't the night to test it. Nothing says "successful first date" like vomiting up kettle corn behind a bench somewhere. "...I'll, um, let you pick which ride we start with." She adds, gesturing around the fair.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,