Seaside

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: Seaside

Post by Keeper »

Ironsmith wrote: Nov 02, 2022 4:46 am [Butterfly Bay]

"You, too, huh?" Owena rips off a chunk of the steak and rolls it between her fingers as she talks. "That's sort of how I got the job I have now. My uncle got in debt with my boss. One thing led to another, and my boss took pity on him and offered to cancel the debt. My uncle, being the proud sort of man he is, refused. So the rest of us started pitching in to ease the load. My sister took a job in town, and my boss offered to let me work for him. The rest is history."
Butterfly Bay

"No offense but your uncle kind of sounds like a stick in the mud."
Henry believes in working hard and not trying to weasel out of debts. But if someone's offering to just get rid of it why say no?
"From the sound of it, you seem to actually like your boss though. Which is nice."
Henry did not like his boss at his job. Which is why he quit the moment he realized he had money.

Tags:
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Sea Coast]

Askeladd had come here in search of a story about a dragon. He didn't expect to find one so quickly. Or trying to eat him. Though in retrospect the second part was easier to predict.

The moose doesn't flee, as one would expect from such an animal. Instead, it glows silver and appears to transform into a small, grey fox that immediately scurries into the undergrowth. Askeladd wishes to observe the dragon and learn about it, not fight it.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

Owena levels her hand in a "so-so" sort of gesture. "Eh, I'm not sure I'd call him that. I mean, by the standards around here, absolutely, but where we come from that's pretty normal behavior. You don't just cancel debts; it's an insult of the highest order, basically telling your debtor that you don't think he's good for anything. Either you don't establish a debt in the first place, in which case you're doing an act of charity, or you see the debt to completion, letting it be paid back in smaller increments or immaterial gains if need be."

"But... bit of a tangent." She shrugs. "Yeah, my boss is basically the polar opposite of him. He's... very laid-back. Which is good, but not at all something you'd see back home."
Last edited by Ironsmith on Nov 06, 2022 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Sea Coast]

Dragon expressions aren't easy to decipher but if Askeladd would take a stab at it he'd say it'd appeared confused.

But however the flying death-machine feels about the moose's sudden transformation it lingers in the area for a few minutes. Simply circling above as it trying to make sense of it all. But then it eventually decides to leave, flying straight towards Tojin's Tooth.
Now, according to the story Askeladd had heard the dragon which supposedly lived in Tojin's Tooth hadn't been seen ever since that "woman of low blood" rowed out to the cliff to confront it. So either it has finally returned or this is another dragon.
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Nov 06, 2022 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Sea Coast]

The fox steps out of the undergrowth and transforms into a large, bearded man in a green cloak. Curious. He came here chasing tales of a dragon and the first thing he sees is said dragon trying to eat him?

Only one thing to do now. Askeladd approaches the sea, where he transforms again, this time into a seal, which promptly leaps into the water and swims towards the island.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Sea Coast]

It can't really be called an island as that would imply the existence of land. No Tojin's Tooth was pure rock and while there was some vegetation growing on the upper portions of it. It's what in geology known as a 'sea stack' and a large one at that. Complete with what appeared as a cave opening near the doubt. No doubt where the dragon had its lair.

But while his current form will eventually carry him across the waves he will have to take another to be able to scale its massive cliff face.
Since there's another problem rearing its ugly head as he swims. Dark clouds are gathering and by the time he reaches the sea stack the sea is no longer calm and rain has started coming down. Hardly ideal climbing or flying weather. But it's likely only going to get worse from here so unless he wanted to return when the weather was better he better act.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

Of course in Codebreaker’s case it was more that the gesture of Kyrie selling his armor and paying back a chunk of the debt with it was enough for him. Not that his insistence on that made a difference.
”Well, sure. I guess it’s different when it’s a debt between mostly friendly people and like. Loan sharks.”
Which properly speaking, Codebreaker was, if Owena heard the gossip.
At least until he vanished for a year and then mysteriously showed up again and cancelled all the debts people owed him after announcing he lost his ledger.
The ledger that he keeps in the desk drawer with odd things written on it. Like “that asshole’s numbers.”
”But I’m glad that he treats you right. My last week at my job my boss called me in on my day off. I don’t actually remember quitting but I’m fairly sure I was harsh.”
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

Considering the little smirk on her face at the "loan shark" comment, either she's heard the rumors (or perhaps seen the ledger) or she finds that turn of phrase humorous coming from Henry, of all people. "Something like that, yes. It's not in most Maesdans' nature to prey on each other, despite what you might expect from our... condition. From what I remember of home, that's one of the few things holding us together. If the strigoi curse had taken place in, say, Riverside, I doubt it would last more than a year before either everyone died or a demon rose up in the city's place."

Clearly a ringing endorsement for the city.

"...You say you don't actually remember quitting?" She asks, changing the subject. "Why is that? Did you hit your head or something?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

"Oh. Well. Remember when I said I kinda mostly died? Well when I did that it took about two months' worth of my memory with it. Had to get reintroduced to my family all over again." And he was just as wet and poorly clothed the second time since Sarah consistently didn't give him time to prepare.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Sea Coast]

The seal leaps out of the sea and transforms again. This time into a large squirrel. The nimble animal starts clambering up the sheer rock, but it does so with strength and endurance far beyond what's normal for the species. It seems to plot an optimal route through the wet, sheer stone with lightning speed and utmost precision.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"...Ah. Yeah, that'll do it." Owena nods sagely. "Dying does tend to mess with one's memories. Most people just don't have the chance to notice afterward." The strigoi pops the last piece of steak in her mouth, indulging herself slightly and sucking salty spatters of grease off her fingertips. "...I think it's time we tried our collective hands at some of those games, don't you?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Sea Coast]

The rain isn't too bad yet so even if it would have made a difference he's not climbing up a completely drenched nearly vertical wall.
But such details matter little to a true exalted. So eventually he finds himself inside the cave itself which is unlike the usual dragon lairs is nearly as vertical as the wall he just climbed up.

Thus he will have to climb down into it or jump as it isn't too far down.

It might make him wonder though. According to the story the woman rowed out here to face the dragon. But the story made it clear she was an ordinary human but no ordinary human would have been able to climb up that rock wall he just ascended. Was there perhaps another entrance to the lair? Since that part of the story might not make as much sense anymore.

Regardless, he can hear movement from down below and if he gets down he will find himself in a large cavern.

He can't see the dragon straight away but judging by the sounds, it probably is close.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

Henry nods and shovels the last of his macaroni into his maw.
”Alright, done. Let’s go find something.”
And then they can head out and look for some of the games. Everyone knows carnival games cheat. But they might as well try the plays they got with their tickets.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Sea Coast]

The island does look very unapproachable to people without exceptional skill, supernatural powers or some special means of transport. Askeladd remains in the shape of a squirrel, hiding himself away in some dark recess to observe.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

Though with the first set of tries being free, these games have to be a bit more subtle with how they cheat. None of this "you see how the little tin ship isn't knocked over?" nonsense.

And in this case, the game seems to be impossible to rig. Owena leads them to a pool full of little rubber duckies, which drift around aimlessly.

"Hey. Step right up." The pool's attendant says nonchalantly. "Game's simple. Each duck's got a number on the bottom. You pull three of them, and if the numbers add up to exactly ten, you win a prize." He holds out his hands for their tickets. "Who wants the first go?"

"I guess I'll go first." Owena shrugs, forfeiting her ticket (which the attendant promptly punches) and taking her attempt at the game. She picks three ducks in rapid succession, getting... a 5, a 3, and another 5.

"Ooh. 13. Unlucky." The attendant shrugs. "Too bad, lady. Luck of the draw, innit?" He turns to Henry. "How about you? Interested in winning something for your girlfriend?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

Properly speaking it's very easy to rig this game. If there's no duck with a number lower than 3, it's impossible to win. But he's not here to question the workers so he's willing to play along. Just probably not more than once.
"Sure, I'll give it one try." he says, not correcting the man. He selects three ducks: one in the middle, one to the left, and one at the opposite end.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

A theory that is promptly broken when he pulls up a duck with a nice, thick-lined "-1" on the bottom. And if he needs assurance that he didn't just get lucky, the second duck is labeled the same way. And the third has a 9 on the bottom. Or possibly a 6. There's no line indicating which side is on the bottom.

"Seven." The attendant shakes his head. "Not great luck, but hey, you've got two wins between the two of you. Just gotta pull different." He gives them a rueful smile. "Care to try again?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Nov 09, 2022 6:32 pm [Sea Coast]

The island does look very unapproachable to people without exceptional skill, supernatural powers or some special means of transport. Askeladd remains in the shape of a squirrel, hiding himself away in some dark recess to observe.
[Sea Coast]

Sure enough the dragon soon comes into view. It's head coming in from the right as its red eyes scan the surroundings. It seems to be looking for something but whatever that something is, the dragon doesn't seem to think it's the size of a squirrel.

"Last chance." They suddenly declare in a deep booming voice. "Since if there are no objections I will claim this as my lair."

That might be bad for the people living here? Hard to tell.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Sea Coast]

"Who did you expect would object?" Askeladd asks this as he steps out of the shadow and assumes his human shape once more. "I cannot think of many who would want this place as well."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Sea Coast]

Like a beam of sunlight he can suddenly feel the dragons smoldering attention on him. The cavern seemingly growing warmer just by its eyes focusing down on him. But despite its predatory stare saying otherwise it does not immediately jump on him. Nor does use its legendary breath weapon.

Instead it actually replies.

"Oh, and you think of me as among the 'many' do you little shape-stealer?" The dragon extends its neck towards him. The hair on its neck crackling with electric energy. "Since here you are where you think no one would want to be ready to risk your life to comment on my sense of good manners."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Sea Coast]

"You are not one of many and neither am I. I am Askeladd, a chosen of Luna and a storyteller." The bearded man is certainly not as intimidated by being face-to-face with a dragon as many would be. "I came here following stories of a dragon and a mortal woman that confronted it. But it seems the tales weren't quite accurate."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Sea Coast]

The dragons eyes narrow. Relatively small compared to the rest of its body but still huge compared to any humanoids.
Finally it speaks again.
"A storyteller are you now? Well, then perhaps you can be of use to me. Since I'd prefer if not more of your kin come bargaining into my new lair like this. Carrying more curiosity than sense with them." It lets out a deep breath it seems to have been holding, the electricity and heat it exuded dropping along with it.

Having closed its eyes for just a moment as it opens them again they have softened. No longer giving off that primal predatory air that seemed to have so little effect on him. "So let's talk." By now he can make out a feminine twinge in the dragons voice as it has stopped trying to scare him. "I am Megeshi of the north wind and I too have heard of this tale you mentioned. Yet I don't even see any signs of a dragon living here. At least not for any significant amount of time." She gestures around with her claw with mannerisms not too unlike a human's. Drastically changing from the primal beast she was moments ago into acting oddly civilized. Even scholarly.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

Henry notes that the ducks they pick are just put back into the water. And the man even noted that there were wins between them. So Henry just...reaches down to pick up the 5, 6, and -1 that they just put back. That's...surely against the rules, right?
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"13." The attendant shrugs. "Too bad, dude."

"What are you talking about? Five plus six minus one is ten."

The attendant scoffs. "Lady, there's no sixes in here. That's a nine."

"...Uh-huh." Owena puts her hands on her hips. "Looks like a six to me."

"Can't be. I don't have any even numbers in my-" The attendant stops and goes pale.

"...No even numbers, and therefore no way to get an even total from the sum of three numbers, is that it?"

"...Eh-heh... you know, it really does look like a six." The attendant backpedals, reaching under the counter and producing a little stuffed bear, pushing it into Henry's arms. "Here you go! Thanks for playing!"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Sea Coast]

Askeladd is, indeed, very much at ease despite being face to face with a dragon. He folds his arms under his cloak.

"Indeed. The tale spoke of a dragon and a common mortal woman that went out to confront it. But there are no signs of a dragon and this place would be very difficult for most mortals to access. Makes one wonder what the real story was."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

Henry flashes an exceptionally toothy grin. It’s his only kind of grin. He accepts the bear, taking Owena’s hand and leading her away before presenting it to her.
”Well, there you are. And we still have half of our plays left. Wanna use them on something else?”
There’s always the water pistol games and the ball throwing. And more rides, even.
Henry wonders if he should bring up that neither of them corrected the worker calling her his girlfriend.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

"Thank you." Owena smiles and accepts the bear, making it do the obligatory little dance before tucking it under her arm and resuming the conversation. "I'd be glad to use the rest of our plays on something else. You can pick this time. Give me a chance to get you a bear." She smirks.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

”Okay, well…what about that?”
Henry points to one of the more simple games: a basic skee-ball sort of setup. Get 10 points in any way from rolling balls into the smallest holes or landing them into the same one over and over without breaking.
”Are you good at that sort of thing?”
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Sea Coast]

"I do believe someone lived here at one point. This cavern is too conveniently shaped to just be the work of nature." Megeshi gestures around the carvern. "I might be able to find out more if I look around more though."

Her gaze moves down to him again. "I tell you what, if I let you look around here perhaps you could convince the people of the town next door to not disturb me? Since the reason I even flew over there earlier was to make sure they knew that I had moved in." A beat. "Since I do assume you were that moose that turned into a critter?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Sea Coast]

"A fair trade, I would say." Askeladd nods. "The locals will have little reason to scale an unforgiving rock wall and face a dragon in any event, but I can discourage them further with a well-spun story. And yes, the moose was me. It is my preferred form for overland travel, unless flight is required."