Seaside

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Seaside

Post by Morty »

[Draconic Talks]

"An impressive treasury." Askeladd sees no need to deny the obviously. "Makes one wonder what your interest is in a small coastal town."

Tags:
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Draconic Talks]

"It's my territory." Bishmu replies forcefully. "And it was a part of our agreement, no?"

"Don't recall the villagers saying they agreed to anything." Megeshi seems less impressed by this than Askeladd as she isn't even looking around at the wonders around them. Almost as if she had seen it all before.

"Exactly, done purely out the kindness of my heart." The red-scaled dragon claims. "But it wasn't like I was watching it constantly. Usually I let my servants do it." He inclines his head towards the kobolt who continues sweeping the floor as if nothing happened.

"Anyhow, you came here since you wished to learn about 'the woman', yes? My once trusted advisor." Bishmu now turns to walk through the gallery. Moving rather slowly as if giving the two plenty of time to listen to what he has to say, and enjoy his collection. "She came to me... well, it must be more than a hundred years ago now. A simple traveler as far as I could tell. Though of course, simple travelers don't visit me too often. Not unless- well anyway, the thing is she didn't even bow or come up with the usual pleasantries. She looked me straight in the eyes as if she had been my equal despite wearing little more than rags and probably not owning more than those. Can you imagine? I scarcely could and she was right there in front of me." Bishmu let's out a puff of smoke from his nostrils, seemingly amused. "I might have ended her right there if she hadn't asked to see my collection. I of course suspected it was a trick of sort but its so rare that I get to show off my collection, especially to someone who claimed to be an expert on art. That I had a hard time believing too at first considering what she wore but the way she spoke to me and carried herself, she was obviously not a common drifter. The courage she must have had..." Bishmu stares off into the distance for a moment before he suddenly continues again. "...ah, especially as once she had seen my collection she claimed that while there were impressive pieces the rest of it nearly worthless. I couldn't believe my ears, the nerve!"

Jungle

Raheeda gives his mask a confused look. Since she does have plenty of questions now. "Wait, you don't need to eat?" A beat. "I thought even gods had to eat. Like... souls, ghosts and stuff." She scratches her head. "And there were people that knew who you were? As in a god? Since if you said that I'm pretty sure people would help you so they could gain favors once you ascend."
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[Empty Beach]

"Sounds good to me," TASBot responds, locking wrists with Hoshiki as per his instruction whilst trying to emulate his stance as best as he can.

TASBot is a fast learner (what else?), and progresses from movement to grips as quickly as anyone, so he's soon practicing freeform fighting. Evasiveness seems to be the strong point in his fighting style, with direct offensiveness falling behind slightly.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Empty Beach]

Evasiveness is fine at this point, given they are not training finishing techniques yet. But Hoshiki does note the tendency. After a long bout that would've made normal people exhausted, he stops the exercise. "Very good. Let's stop and think what to do next", he says, "I notice you are better at breaking and avoiding my holds, than you are at acquiring my own. That is not a flaw, for when you just want to get out of a situation. But you'll have to be a bit more aggressive if you want to segue into a proper attack or maintain a dominant position. Hmmm." He rubs his chin as he thinks. "Let's call it quits for today. I'll see about acquiring a training dummy or a partner for you, makes showing techniques easier. I'll be taking my first payment, if you don't mind. We'll meet here again tomorrow, if your time allows for it."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Shadowcaller wrote: May 07, 2023 2:47 pm Jungle

Raheeda gives his mask a confused look. Since she does have plenty of questions now. "Wait, you don't need to eat?" A beat. "I thought even gods had to eat. Like... souls, ghosts and stuff." She scratches her head. "And there were people that knew who you were? As in a god? Since if you said that I'm pretty sure people would help you so they could gain favors once you ascend."
Harley shrugs. "I guess not? I can still drink by pouring water through the air holes, but I haven't really been hungry since I got it, so. Didn't think about it before now. When I was a god I could eat, but I didn't need to, so maybe that just didn't change. Huh."

At her second statement he chuckles darkly, hunching into his blanket. "Yeah, not so much. I mean, people did know, yeah. Pretty much everyone knew of all the gods on my world, but even before my great crime, I wasn't exactly someone people sought out. I was a trickster, so people knew I was trouble. And after..." he goes silent for a moment. "Yeah, in the brief time I spent on that world after I was punished, I had to hide who I was, because pretty much everyone wanted me dead. No big deal."
horses can attack and eat me
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

"Oh. Huh." Raheeda doesn't seem to be sure how to react to that. Ending up scratching the back of her head awkwardly just as she's about to tie up the rope between the two shelves.
"So what was your great crime anyway? Did you steal something?" She knew that tended to piss gods off.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Draconic Talks]

"Hmm. And how did she justify her claim?" Askeladd surveys the collection as they walk. He's not much of an art connoisseur but maybe he can recognize the quality of some of it.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Somehow, Harley disappears even further into the blanket, almost hiding from the question. He's silent for a moment, then lets out a sigh.

"I was kinda hoping you wouldn't ask. It's... a lot worse than stealing."

Another silence.

"You know how I was granted divinity by the Moon Goddess? Well, I betrayed her, and used magic to trick her into murdering her love, the Sun Goddess. And that's already pretty horrible, but when she died, the actual sun started dying as well, thus dooming the world to a slow, dark, wintery death. Or it would have if the other gods didn't all work together to save it." He taps his mask lightly. "So yeah... I probably deserve a much worse fate than this."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Draconic Talks]

It depends.
Since the more an amateur like Askeladd knows about art the less certain he might be on the exact quality of it.
Someone without any knowledge might assume that the complex realistic paintings and sculptures are the most valuable pieces here while everything else is of lower quality. But that would just be shunning other styles simply because they're not trying to depict reality in that manner. There are much more simplistic pieces that might mean much more to an observer than detailed portraits of kings and queens.

"Since I had always suspected what she claimed, especially as she could pinpoint my own suspicions so accurately. How it's former owners had always given me the least valuable parts of their collections. Counting on the fact I wouldn't be able to tell. Sometimes giving me little more than trash." More smoke comes out of his nostrils as he lets out a loud snort. "But it was also the terms she used and the way she used them. Like tools rather than decorations. Brutal honesty that I had never heard before." They've stopped moving as Bishmu have started recollecting his past.

"Sounds like you came to respected her." Megeshi observes.

"I respected her counsel, yes."

Jungle

Raheeda blinks. "Why did you do that?" Was it simply a case of 'it was just a prank, bro?'
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Harley looks at the ground, arms wrapped around his knees.

"I... mortals were easy to trick back then. But the other gods, the true gods, were so far above me, and I envied them. They saw me as a funny plaything, the Moon's pet, amusing but insignificant." He sniffs. "I wanted to fool them, humble them, hurt them even. Make them understand how small I felt. But I didn't actually mean to kill the Sun. I didn't even know that gods could kill each other. If I had known..."

Harley shakes his head, tears dripping out of his mask's eye holes. "Ugh, I don't mean to get all wrapped up in regrets. What's done is done. All I can do is be better now."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

"Oh." Unsure what else to say Raheeda instead gives him a pat on the back as tears start coming out his mask.
"...uh, we all do mistakes?" She eventually adds. "Especially when you feel neglected-" A beat as something finally seems to occur to her. "Wait, are you the bun on the moon? The baking one?" Not really the time for questions like that!
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

The question gets a startled chuckle out of Harley. "Uh, maybe? I did make cakes for Moon, I was good at it. But I wouldn't say I was the. There's more than one moon, so there's probably more than one moon rabbit too."

He reaches up to give Raheeda's arm an appreciative squeeze. "You don't need to worry about helping me feel better, I'll be fine. It's just hard to talk about, especially when I'm used to everyone hating me for it. Not that they aren't justified in it." He wipes the last tears from his mask. "Hey, are you feeling warmer? I know cold isn't great for you."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

"So you are the moon-bun!" She exclaims. "I knew it!" Raheeda claps her hands together. "That could mean that Yul is here for you as in the stories she was always chasing that poor bun to get his- your pudding!"
She nods. "But I don't hate you. I mean, who could hate the moon-bun? You made a terrible mistake, that's all. Besides, maybe they can find a way to bring the sun-goddess back or something, in the stories they're always resurrected again at dawn or something like that."

The yuan-ti pauses. "Oh and don't worry about me and cold. I got these boots that protect me from the worst of it." She gestures at a pair of winter boots that she pulls up from the rucksack. "They've just been, uh, a bit too warm for me to wear until now."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

"A moon bun- moon rabbit," says Harley, but he can't help but sound amused. "And I'm not anymore, so I doubt Yul even knows I exist." He hopes she doesn't at least. He's had more than enough of angry gods.

"I'm glad you don't hate me, but don't get me wrong, I did other bad things too. Went too far tricking mortals more times than I could count. And I'd love to resurrect Sun, but I don't even know how to get back to my world." He pauses. Raheeda's natural optimism is hard to swallow- but somehow he has a hard time arguing against it. It would be like kicking a puppy. Or a snuppy, as the case may be.

"Well, maybe you're right. Maybe I'll find something in this world that'll let me bring her back, and I can return to rejoicing. Stranger things have happened." Harley peers curiously at the magic boots. "You sure have a lot of cool stuff in that bag," he observes.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

"Yep, too much of it actually. Since I can't even recall what I put in it anymore. Feel free to have a look if you like, you might find something useful." Raheeda remarks just as she sits down pull the boots on.

"I will, uh, say that you've done some pretty evil-sounding stuff but at least you regret it. I traveled with people that might not have caused the death of a good-ish god but have done super-mean things without regretting it." She remarks as she struggles with the boots. "But I thought the moon-bun would way more innocent honestly. Also, way, um-" As Raheeda has managed to put on one boot she makes a vague gesture at him. "-bunnier."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

"Well...thanks. I guess regret does count for something, as long as I keep working to do better now." Harley doesn't sound convinced, but he's clearly trying. He pulls the bag over and looks curiously into it, then begins to reach in and pull out things at random.

"Yeah, I used to be a lot bunnier," he says, his voice carrying a smile, "and sometimes I think I was a lot happier that way. Rabbits aren't sad or mean, they just eat and sleep and- stuff. Kinda nice to not worry about anything complex."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

"So the moon god turned you into a non-bun? That's pretty mean. Why'd she do that for? I thought she was rewarding you n' stuff." By now she has both boots on so she gestures for him. "Oh, and you should get those wet clothes off so they can dry." A beat.

"Oh, unless you wanna have my boots? I could dry my robes instead. No problem. You're the injured one after all." She gestures at the rope that she just sat up.

Harley will pull up... another bra.

She had a spare this entire time?!
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

"Well, first Moon turned me into a god, and then I could shapeshift so I looked like whatever I wanted. And then this body was part of my punishment. Not that it's all that bad. Kind of wish I was taller though," say Harley. He trails off, tilting his head as he realizes what he's just pulled out of the bag. This raises a lot of questions, but he carefully replaces it before rummaging a bit more.

At Raheeda's question, he eyes her boots for a moment, then shakes his head. "No, uh... not gonna ask you to do that," he says firmly, with just a little hesitation. He proceeds to remove the damp sailor clothes he's been wearing, taking care to cover himself with the blanket as he does so.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Draconic Talks]

"If all your treasures were obtained in circumstances similar to the painting, I can't entirely fault these people for giving you poor quality art." Askeladd decides to go for blunt honesty himself. "But it seems she gave you something not only valuable but magical."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Shadowcaller wrote: May 09, 2023 6:07 am [Draconic Talks]

It depends.
Since the more an amateur like Askeladd knows about art the less certain he might be on the exact quality of it.
Someone without any knowledge might assume that the complex realistic paintings and sculptures are the most valuable pieces here while everything else is of lower quality. But that would just be shunning other styles simply because they're not trying to depict reality in that manner. There are much more simplistic pieces that might mean much more to an observer than detailed portraits of kings and queens.

"Since I had always suspected what she claimed, especially as she could pinpoint my own suspicions so accurately. How it's former owners had always given me the least valuable parts of their collections. Counting on the fact I wouldn't be able to tell. Sometimes giving me little more than trash." More smoke comes out of his nostrils as he lets out a loud snort. "But it was also the terms she used and the way she used them. Like tools rather than decorations. Brutal honesty that I had never heard before." They've stopped moving as Bishmu have started recollecting his past.

"Sounds like you came to respected her." Megeshi observes.

"I respected her counsel, yes."
Morty wrote: May 11, 2023 7:26 pm [Draconic Talks]

"If all your treasures were obtained in circumstances similar to the painting, I can't entirely fault these people for giving you poor quality art." Askeladd decides to go for blunt honesty himself. "But it seems she gave you something not only valuable but magical."
[Draconic Talks]

"Magical? It isn't implausible that she used some sort of magic to detect it, but she simply seemed remarkably educated in art."

Megeshi exchanges a glance with Askeladd as Bishmu claims this. Since to her it seemed more like the dragon was remarkably uneducated in what he was collecting. So of course this supposed art-experts ability to identify art would seem near-magical to him. It might have been obvious to anyone with even a little experience in the field.

"And I was helping those people. Did I ask for food, work or coin? No, I asked for something without any practical use and in exchange they got my protection. A fair deal if you ask me. Especially as I could have burned those mansions and town to cinders if I had been a lesser dragon." He argues as he moves further along the corridor they've now found themselves in.

Bishmu stops near the end of it, near what seems to be the largest painting in his entire collection. "But here we are, now you can meet her yourself."

The painting is of a young green haired woman in a simple patched up coat who has been painted standing in what seems to be the middle of this very gallery gazing at something off-screen. It's so extremely detailed that it's easy to mistake it for a photograph.

"It took several artists and many years to make. Yet it remains unfinished. She just disappeared right after I visited your village in fact. No idea where she went..." Bishmu stares with what seems to be longing at the painting.

Jungle

"Oh. That makes sense." Raheeda rubs her chin thoughtfully. "But what made you earn godhood in the first place then?"

She shrugs at his refusal. "But suit yourself. You're missing out though. They're super-comfy." She sits down on a crate and lets her boot-covered feet dangle freely.

Thunder and lighting can be heard and seen outside at a frequent basis now and the rain just keeps pouring down. The shack is at least properly built as there isn't any leakage.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

"I don't think I really earned it. I was just a good rabbit, and Moon saved me from being eaten one day and decided to change my fate. She was pretty inscrutable. I guess proper gods are like that," says Harley, shrugging.

"And the magic boots sound nice, but I figure you've had enough wardrobe changes for one day," he jokes. Looking out towards the rain, he pulls his blanket closer around him. "We might be in here for a while, huh?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

Raheeda shrugs at his joke. "Eh, it's just clothes. When my people aren't among others we mostly go around without them. Kinda itchy against the scales." She scratches her chin for empathize.
"Not me though." The yuan-ti adds with a nod but when she comes to the actual reason she suddenly seems uncharacteristically reluctant to tell. "Since uh, you guys keep them on and... yeah, practical reasons."

After that she takes a peek through the door. "Yep, looks like it. This sure is one big storm."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Harley nods understandingly. "It's not like I wore clothes when I was a rabbit. I guess being turned into a human made me care more about that kind of thing, but we're all just animals in the end anyway." He's noticed Raheeda's reticence, but prying into a lady's choices to wear or not wear clothes would be simply barbaric.

He stretches, yawning. "Are you tired? I feel half dead myself. Sleep might be the best way to wait out the storm, unless you have any better ideas."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

"Are we? Huh." Raheeda scratches her head as she had never seemed to consider herself a kind of animal. "But I guess I could go for sleep. Normally I'd say that as an elf I don't need sleep but I don't actually know elves that well and well... I just got the ears." She flicks them.

"So if you wanna sleep, let's sleep. Or rest. Whatever you feel like doing. I can keep watch." Raheeda gives him a reassuring nod and taps her spear.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

"I probably know even less about elves than you," admits Harley. He blinks concernedly. "We can sleep in shifts, I want you to get some rest too. But maybe I can go first..." He trails off into another yawn, curling up under the blanket and falling asleep almost instantly. He'll be dead to the world until he's shaken awake.
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[Empty Beach]

"Alright! That was fun," TASBot says, stretching his arms and legs after having stopped the excercise.

The robot reflects on Hoshiki's feedback, noting "Be a little more aggressive... got it." He perks up immediately upon hearing that he might get a training partner. "A partner? I'd love to have a training partner!" he eagerly exclaims.

"D'oh, right, your payment," TASBot says, giving an embarrassed chuckle as he realises he almost forgot to pay the man for a job well done. Just as he had done earlier, he brings his hand up to his screen and the currency appears for him to gladly hand over to Hoshiki.

"Anyways, same time tomorrow works. Any time tomorrow works, really. Not much that I'm doing at the moment. I should really get a job..." TASBot continues. He turns around to leave, then stops. "Oh, yeah. You took me here through that weird mirror, didn't you? Is that still there?" the bot enquires.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

Harley is awakened by what sounds like an explosion to his ears and as his eyes are shut open he's blinded by the following flash of lighting.
But even as his vision temporarily goes white he can hear what sounds like panicked shouts in the distance.
It sounds like a lot of people but in the flash he can barely make out anything.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Much like a startled rabbit, Harley leaps to his feet at the booming sound, looking wildly around. The noise does him little favors, his mask echoing with it. He shields his eyes against the blinding light, trying to figure out what's happening.

"Raheeda? Are you there?" he calls out, unsure if she's here and equally startled or if she's one of the shouting voices outside. Of course, he might not even be able to hear a reply.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

He can feel someone put a hand on his shoulder. "Good, you're up!"
Harley can barely make her out but now that he has some context he can tell that the other voices must be much further away.
"We got incoming. Sounds like they're fleeing." Raheeda observes as his vision starts to clear a bit.

He can still hear the rain but it sounds like it has eased up a bit. It's pitch-dark outside so he must have been sleeping for at least a few hours.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Draconic Talks]

Anger wells in Askeladd again as Bishmu speaks. He's still trying to present his... protection racket as something reasonable or benevolent.

"So you receive riches for the important service of not burning down their homes. We have a word for such things where I come from. It's not a pleasant one. How long did this woman stay with you?"