Seaside

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Seaside

Post by Shadowcaller »

Beach

"Oh yeah, you think I'd carry around her symbol otherwise?" Raheeda inquires as she slowly starts to walk along the beach in the direction of the supposed boat.
Though just after a couple of steps she stops to address him again. "Like, it isn't a completely one-sided thing. I do things she wants on occasion and in exchange I get like... magic. Kinda. Not priest stuff. Just, y'know, magic." She wiggles the fingers on her free hand. "But it's something that's kind hard to back out from. She's one of the uh, patron gods of my people you see? And you need to be with at least one of them."

[Draconic Talks]

"SO YOU'RE A SPY THEN?" The voice concludes. "SINCE USUALLY YOUR KIND KNOWS BETTER THAN TO STICK YOUR NOSES IN THE BUSINESS OF DRAGONS. SINCE WHAT I DO WITH THIS PAINTING IS FOR ME TO KNOW ALONE."

By now the people in attendance is giving him curious looks. No one dares to say anything just yet. Just having small quiet conversations with one another at the side which he can just barely make out the murmur of. But there seems to be a tension building. People wanted to know what was going on.

What's the matter? Are you finding anything? He hears Megeshi's less boom-y voice. Really more of a whisper compared to the supposed other dragons tone.

Tags:
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Beach

"Well, I didn't want to assume," says Harley, limping down the beach with her.

He nods seriously at her finger wiggling demonstration. "Right, magic. That makes sense.". After a moment, he ventures to say "Forgive me for asking, but- is it something you want to back out from? Whether you can or not is another matter entirely. What would you do if the choice was yours alone?"
horses can attack and eat me
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Beach

"Uhh... well, as I said. It isn't like... simple. And she has kind of helped my tribe out so I'm indebted to her in more ways than one." Raheeda admits as she rubs the back of her head and then turns to him.

"...why? Since no one has offered me help with that before. I dunno how to even start with that one." She gives Harley another look as if thinking she had missed some special quality about him. "You got some special talents or something?"
She takes a few more steps in the direction of the supposed boat and offers him the water pouch again.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Draconic Talks]

"I'm a storyteller. And I assure you know little about 'my kind'. I came here in peace, to learn and understand. If I receive nothing but threats in return..." His eyes flick over to someone or something invisible. "Someone or something is speaking to me through the painting, claiming to be a dragon. And unrelentingly issuing threats," he explains to Megeshi.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Beach

"Things in life are so rarely simple," muses Harley, kicking over a clump of sand as he walks.

At Raheeda's question he's silent for a moment, then lets out a light laugh that echoes in his mask. "I like you! You have clever questions." Accepting the water pouch, he takes another drink while considering his response, pouring it into the thin line of the mask's mouth.

Handing it back, he says "Well, the why is because, if you were unhappy with the situation, I'd want to help. Like I said, that's kind of my thing. But the how, well. I have a lot of experience tricking gods. It's how I wound up in my current situation, but to be fair that was one mistake after a lifetime of successes. Which is a pretty good track record if you think about it. Admittedly I don't have any of my powers anymore, but I could probably figure something out." He taps one of his long ears in a knowing way.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Draconic Talks]

What sort of threats? Since it feels like it would only be appropriate if I put a stop to such foolishness. Megeshi muses as Askeladd can see her put her spiritual claws on the painting. Invisible to everyone but him and possibly the being in the portrait.

MEET ONE SPY AND YOU'VE MET THEM ALL. The voice might have continued but as soon as Askeladd's gaze flicks away they pause.
...WHAT ARE YOU SPEAKING TO? SINCE I WARN YOU, IF YOU WOULD DARE DAMAGE THIS ARTWORK I WILL SHOW YOU NO MERCY.

Beach

"I do?" That makes her sound more confused than anything else. Though she's far more curious about the mask now.
"Ohh, so the mask like... keeps down your powers? That sucks. What could you do before you got that mask on you? Pretty awesome things I bet if you could mess around with gods." Her eyes are drawn to his ears too. Very curious.

But... one thing at the time.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Beach

"Yeah! It's good to question everything, says Harley excitably, "That's the whole point of, well, existing, isn't it? To learn?"

Idly running his fingertips over his mask, he sighs. "Technically my powers are contained within the mask. I'm bound by the very things that used to give me freedom. Gods love being ironic like that." He gestures grandly up at the sky. "Before they put me in here, why, I could go anywhere I wished! I would dance through the skies like they were meadows, coming down to trick people and expose their follies. I'd get drunk off starlight and lead people in dances through the winding night before disappearing without a trace. It was...really nice," he finishes rather lamely, his voice wistful.

Then he shakes his head with a chuckle. "But to tell you the truth, it's not all bad, my current existence. Opposable thumbs are pretty cool, you've got a good thing going there."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Beach

"I always thought the point of existing was existing." Raheeda remarks, not really arguing against him but not really believing him either. She had spent most of her life not learning anything!
Though at some point of his explanation she stops dead in her tracks and just stares at him.
"Whoa, whoa, hold on." She says once he's done. Holding up her palms in front of her almost as if she wanted to push the air in front of her.

"...are you like, a god too?" Raheeda points a finger at him. "Since you need to tell me if you're a god. Pretty sure that's like a sacred law or something."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Beach

"Well, sure, existing is good too. But learning is what gives life meaning. I think." He seems a little unsure of this, however.

Not noticing at first that Raheeda has stopped, he continues walking for a couple steps before realizing and spinning around. "Damn peripheral vision," he mutters. Then, hearing her question, he tilts his head to one side.

"Are you a baby?" This is clearly rhetorical, but he lets it stand for a moment. "Sure, I once was what most people would call a god, yes. But I'm certainly not now, anymore than you're still a baby. It's a mortal life for me, unless I can make a lot of people very happy." He taps the mask's metallic ears once more. "I used to be a rabbit too, which I think is much more important than the god thing."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Beach

Raheeda wasn't about to argue about existence with a god. Former or not, he probably knew enough for her to consider it a bit cheat-y.

"Ohhh, so you were a bunny-god?" This conclusion makes her pause.
Since she had killed so many bunnies.
"...t-that w-would explain the ears I guess." She fidgets nervously.
"B-but bunnies are just animals. You're saying they have a religion and everything?" That would make her such a horrible person!
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Harley seems oblivious to Raheeda's nervousness. He waves a hand vaguely.

"Oh haha, no no. Rabbits are rabbits, all they care about is what's right in front of them. They never worshiped me. I was just an exceptional rabbit who was blessed by the moon with divinity. And sapience." Surely that clears up everything.

"I guess technically I was the god of the moon? But only because the moon chose me. She was very much the boss."

Glancing at Raheeda to see her reaction, he suddenly seems to notice that something's amiss. "Oh no I hope I'm not making you feel bad! This is all old history, my memories of it are a little vague."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Draconic Talks]

"Coming here to raze this town to the ground, primarily. But I would advise not touching the painting. They don't like that." Askeladd looks at the artwork again. "I came here with a companion who is also interested in the same information."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Draconic Talks]

Oh, the being that wants to raze this town likes this painting? Megeshi inquires, her tone suddenly gaining a touch of mischievousness. Perhaps if it does what I want I won't destroy it then.
Her claws now starting to dig into the upper frame of the painting.

Though it isn't clear if she can actually damage it in her spirit form the voice nonetheless reacts poorly to it. TELL THEM TO STOP RIGHT NOW OR THIS TOWN WILL PAY!

By now the villagers look increasingly worried as Askeladd has started to talk to someone or something they can't see out loud.
While there had been mages and other people able to pry secrets from the painting standing there just staring at it before, they had never talked out loud like this.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

quillpleasant wrote: Mar 31, 2023 3:08 pm Harley seems oblivious to Raheeda's nervousness. He waves a hand vaguely.

"Oh haha, no no. Rabbits are rabbits, all they care about is what's right in front of them. They never worshiped me. I was just an exceptional rabbit who was blessed by the moon with divinity. And sapience." Surely that clears up everything.

"I guess technically I was the god of the moon? But only because the moon chose me. She was very much the boss."

Glancing at Raheeda to see her reaction, he suddenly seems to notice that something's amiss. "Oh no I hope I'm not making you feel bad! This is all old history, my memories of it are a little vague."
"Oh." Phew!
"So you were more like the pinnacle of rabbitness then? Gotta' suck to suddenly become a human then. They're not nearly as cute or as fast."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Beach

"Yeah, you could say I was really good at bunnying." Harley waves off her comments about humans. "Oh, being human isn't so bad. Some humans are plenty cute. Plus the thumbs, like I said. Besides, I barely remember being a rabbit. It's like a distant childhood memory, or a dream."

A pause. He seems lost in thought. Then he comes out of it, spinning around to walk backwards while facing Raheeda.

"Enough about me though! Surely you've got skeletons in your own closet just as exciting as mine, eh? I mean, you can actually do magic now. You've got me beat there."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Beach

"Ehh..." Raheeda waves her hand dismissively. "I don't have a closet right now." A pause as she seems to think of more to add than that non-committal comment.

Then relief wash over her face. Not that Harley can see it.

"Oh! There's the boat!"
Sure enough, once they reached the top of this grassy knoll they can see a boat laying anchored in a small bay in the distance. Hard to make out many details of it from here however. Other than the fact it has sails and looks large enough for people to live in.
"Whoever is in it gotta have water and food, right?"
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Beach

Harley seems content to let her continue to deflect his questioning. She's been so nice, he's not going to reward that with pushiness.

At the sight of the boat, he sags in relief. He's been trying not to show it, but the wounds and exhaustion are definitely getting to him.

"Even if its abandoned, there'll likely be something to salvage. Come on!" Mustering his strength, he takes off down the hill at a brisk limp.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Beach

Raheeda follows though can't help but to give concerned looks at Harley's limp.
"So, uh, how did you end up here exactly? Since we need to swim to get to that boat. I mean, unless we get the attention of the owners." It did look like a boat that would need more than one person to sail it.

As they come closer the boat is actually more of a ship. More specifically a barque.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Beach

"Well, long story short I was actually in a ship before, and I jumped overboard. Because, well. I wasn't thinking very clearly and I thought the ocean might be convinced to help me out. She wasn't in the mood so she tossed me out here." As usual, Harley is being unintentionally unhelpful. "I can swim if that's what you're asking- I was hoping to avoid that but if I have to then I won't complain." Considering how well he's handling his lacerations, he's probably being serious.

As they approach the ship, he gives an admiring whistle. "That's a beaut! I always loved these things." Stepping gingerly to the edge of the water, Harley cups his hands to his mask and calls out.

"Ahoy! Anyone aboard?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Beach

"You jumped into that? In a storm?" Raheeda gestures at the ocean in disbelief. "Lakes and rivers can be dangerous but that much water is just... overwhelming." She shudders. "But good, at least you didn't jump into it without swimming. Still, there had to be more to it than that, right? Since why would you trust a bunch of water?"

She waves wordlessly at the boat and even jumps up and down as he's shouting.
But nothing neither of them does seem to get the crew's attention. If there is still a crew. The ship seems eerily lifeless.
"Oh hey, what's that?" Raheeda gestures not at the boat but at something at the beach.

If he peers in the direction she's pointing he can see something small and after a moment he might realize just what it is.
It's a dinghy.
Looks like someone dragged it up and then just left it there.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Draconic Talks]

"In Luna's name, will the two of you settle down?" Askeladd's vexation boils over as he directs this at both dragons. "Am I dealing with dragons or children?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Draconic Talks]

Now the villagers are starting to look really concerned.
He can hear some of them quietly telling the priest to ask what's going on but he reassures them that it will be alright. Better not to disturb the conversation he's in with questions that would be answered in due time.

"Hmph." Megshi snorts loudly. A telepathic snort? Or was it more of a spiritual one? "I'm all ears to what else you'd suggest we'd bargain with-"

But the other voice in his head starts. Child?!
Then from the painting emerges the head of the dragon it depicts. Pulling themselves out of the very colors. And it looks just as furious as it does in the painting. It's maw open wide and black smoke raising from its nostrils.
There are loud gasps and screams of shock from the gathered mass and people starts to back away. Some even starting to move towards the exit

But before the dragon has gotten much more than its head out of the frame, Megeshi pounces on it from her position above the painting. Materializing from thin air as she pins the other dragon against the temple floor with her weight.

Another dragon appearing out of thin air does not make the crowd any calmer and people are now starting to push one another as they try to flee the temple.
The priest looks on, completely powerless to stop the disaster which is suddenly unfolding before him. His gaze moves to Askenladd, pleading for help.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Beach

Harley shrugs uncomfortably. "Well, when I said earlier that I was in love with the ocean, it wasn't a metaphor. I kind of had a big thing for the ocean goddess, and I was thinking that maybe she could undo my whole mask predicament. It, uh, didn't work out." That much at least is obvious.

"Well, the ship seems empty!" he says, quickly changing the subject. "Maybe we can use this little boat to get aboard?" It is curious that someone seems to have come ashore, however. That means they might still be around. Casting a nervous glance across the beach, Harley heads over to the dinghy.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Beach

Raheeda raises her eyebrows behind her mask as he explains why he jumped into the ocean.
Way more faith that she had put in any god, that's for sure. Of course, she had never thought that a god actually loved her either. They were far too self-important for that.
"The ship seems empty." She corrects though still follows him as he makes his way towards the dinghy. "They might just not have heard us."

The little boat seems to be in good condition. Having been turned upside down on the beach as to prevent it filling up with rain water.
But if they go about turning it over, something Raheeda does with remarkable ease, they will notice that there's a problem.
There's no oars.
Whoever brought it here seems to have taken them with them.
"Huh... there's supposed to be paddle-thingies on these, right?"
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Beach

Considering how it had turned out for Harley, Raheeda might have the right idea about not putting too much faith into gods. Although he did survive, so things could have been worse.

"Well, I hope they're not trying to lure us in or anything," Harley jokes, with a tinge of nervousness in his voice. He's not much help in flipping the boat due to his condition, but he gives an impressed glance at Raheeda's easy management of it.

"Hm, paddles...maybe we can just use our hands? It's not very far out, and the boat might even have oars for the return trip."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Draconic Talks]

Askeladd strides forward and puts himself between the dragons, trying to push them apart and separate them, much like disobedient children. The tattoos on his body glow silver and his arms course with strength to topple towers and slay gods, the No Moon caste mark also appearing on his brow.

"If you do not wish to be called a child, do not act like one. I came here with a mission of peace, but it seems I need to appease two bruised egos."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Beach

"Wouldn't it be faster to just swim then? Since then we wouldn't be stealing this." She says while gesturing at the dinghy. As if they weren't planning to steal from the ship.

She gazes out at the bay with sudden concern. "Or... is that dangerous?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Draconic Talks]

Megeshi looks up though the brief glance of Askeladd striding towards her doesn't prepare her for what he was going to do. Nor the strength with which he was going to do it.
But the moment she's no longer pressing her weight against Bishmutraxx's throat the other dragon let's out a burst of flames and suddenly the floor of the temple is bathed in fire. Thankfully it's made of stone and all the villagers had retreated back enough to escape it but those few who had remained in a shocked stupor finally started to flee as well.

Megeshi disengages rather than trying to attack Bishmu again and crams herself into the back of the temple.
Meanwhile Bishmu let's out yet another burst of flame, this time aimed at Askeladd.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Beach

Harley shakes his head doubtfully. "Well, the weather's decent and it's not very far so it wouldn't be that dangerous- but I can't swim in my condition. Not without tearing some of these cuts open more." Not to mention how painful the salt water would be.

"We could return the boat after," he says, shading his eyes as he peers out across the water, "Or I suppose we could look for something else." He doesn't sound very enthusiastic about either course of action.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Beach

Raheeda considers their options for a moment.
"What about this? I swim out to the ship and get a pair of paddlers and get back here so we can take the boat back to the ship?" She suggests thoughtfully. "Or maybe there's another tiny-boat on the large boat which I can take back?"