Seaside

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Re: Seaside

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

At Megeshi's words, Harley slowly starts to relax. He's still very much on edge, but the fact that she's even willing to talk goes a long way to earning his trust.

"Okay, so... what is the artifact exactly? Just some way for you to get spirits to eat or what? And why did the shadow talk to me like it was the guardian of this relic?" This whole situation is making his head spin, and there's nothing he wants more than to turn it over immediately but still he hesitates.
horses can attack and eat me

Tags:
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Draconic Talks]

"I hope to foster good neighborly relations." Askeladd's tone betrays that it's something of a faint hope. "Without anyone spying on anyone. Can I trust you to uphold your promise?"
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

Megeshi sits down and uses her front claws to gently open the tome that she wears around her neck as to pry through its contents.
Though while it seems quite impractical using a book that probably had writing to small for her to even read she still appears to look through through it. "Oh, they no doubt see themselves as the guardians of this relic. Bound to it as they are. The creator, or at least the last owner of the relic, probably ordered them to not allow anyone else but them to use it. Its true name is something I can't pronounce but it roughly means 'skull of the divine' or 'the divine skull'."

The 'serpent' looks up at him.

"You can probably guess what it is based on that name."

[Draconic Talks]

"Sure, I promise." Bishmu says without much conviction. "But then I consider our arrangement broken as I would have no way to tell if they're being attacked or not."

"Perhaps you should turn over that painting in case you're temp-"

"ABSOLUTELY NOT!" Bishmu roars before Megeshi can even finish the sentence.

"...yes, didn't think so."
Last edited by Shadowcaller on May 20, 2023 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Harley cautiously steps forward as Megeshi flips through her book. The dragon certainly seems to know what she's talking about.

"Okay, that makes sense," he says slowly, "So if I give this to you then you'll protect us from being killed by the shadows? Because they killed a bunch of the sailors and threatened to kill me."

He looks dubiously down at the bundle and begins to unwrap it. All this conflict over some weird skull, and he hasn't even seen what it looks like!

"I really, really want to hand this over and wash my hands of the whole thing, I just want to make sure that if I do I'm not going to get instantly murdered by a shadow demon, ya know?" he says, making a pretty reasonable argument.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

It's tightly wrapped in what seems to be sailcloth and as he unwraps it he finds himself holding what appears to be a helmet carved out of a white quartz-like material. At first glance it seems to have been made into the shape of a human skull but its not an exact copy and the size would make it more suitable for a child than an adult. Furthermore, while the inside surface of the helmet is completely smooth the outside quartz seems to almost have grown outwards. Forming strange horn-like shapes.

It feels hot to touch, seemingly radiating heat all on its own.

"I'll leave with it and the artifact will never bother you again." Megeshi promises.
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[Empty Beach]

TASBot is playing upbeat music and running around idly when Hoshiki shows up. Once he hears the swordsman's greeting, both he and the song skid to a halt whilst he greets him back with a "Hey, teacher! How've you been?"

Rushing up to the two to get a better look at the blonde-haired man Hoshiki introduced, he says "And you're my new sparring partner, right? Well, Aaron," the robot says, pointing a friendly finger-gun at the man, "the name's TASBot, and it is awesome to meet you, pal. Nice shirt, by the way. Never watched the anime myself, but love the games."
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Empty Beach]

Hoshiki chuckles at Aaron's comment of rock-paper-scissors strategy. The truth is, the swordman can see a bit into the future, so Aaron could've chosen any strategy and it wouldn't have changed the future.

TASbot's comment about anime makes the swordsman shakes his head. What is it with young people and cartoons? Oh well. He takes off his haori and folds it on a rock, then places his swords on it. "All right!", he says and cracks his knuckles, "I will try and show the techniques first. Aaron's curse is a new thing for me also, so it may take some getting used to. So, TASbot-kun, observe carefully. Aaron-kun, your job is to just stay standing as well as you can."

He lowers his hands to his sides and bows to Aaron. Once Aaron returns the gesture, Hoshiki begins. He tries multiple different holds, trying to grab Aaron's ankles, knees, wrists, so on and so forth, working his way up. Eventually, he'll get behind Aaron and try wrapping his arms around his waist, then his chest, both over and under Aaron's arms.

It's a strange display. Hoshiki is tall and visibly muscled man. He ought to have no trouble lifting a man of Aaron's size off the ground. But how will reality pan out?
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Shadowcaller wrote: May 20, 2023 1:09 pm Jungle

It's tightly wrapped in what seems to be sailcloth and as he unwraps it he finds himself holding what appears to be a helmet carved out of a white quartz-like material. At first glance it seems to have been made into the shape of a human skull but its not an exact copy and the size would make it more suitable for a child than an adult. Furthermore, while the inside surface of the helmet is completely smooth the outside quartz seems to almost have grown outwards. Forming strange horn-like shapes.

It feels hot to touch, seemingly radiating heat all on its own.

"I'll leave with it and the artifact will never bother you again." Megeshi promises.
Harley stares at the skull for a few moments. He can't help but wonder where it came from, why it was made; and unconsciously lifts a hand to brush fingers against his own magic helmet.

"Okay, uh... yeah, that sounds good. Here." He holds the skull out for Megeshi to take. "Thanks for not eating me or the others. I wasn't expecting any of this to end well, so... thanks."
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Empty Beach]

"Ah, you play too? I don't go anywhere without my decks. Its how I settle most of my conflicts, even." Aaron returns a warm smile to TASbot, instinctively looking confused as Hoshiki bows to him. He had a clear lack of familiarity with Japanese custom, and thus awkwardly returned a very slight bow. Once Hoshiki tries the holds, they'd notice there'd be absolutely zero friction. Aaron held his arms out, watching on as Hoshiki's arms slide up his body to no effect. When he lifts under the arms, though, Hoshiki would be able to apply some upward force, albeit it would still feel as if he was holding a man made of melted butter. For his part, he'd have to be careful so as to not drop Aaron, who merely looked to the side in discomfort in the meantime.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

quillpleasant wrote: May 20, 2023 7:58 pm Harley stares at the skull for a few moments. He can't help but wonder where it came from, why it was made; and unconsciously lifts a hand to brush fingers against his own magic helmet.

"Okay, uh... yeah, that sounds good. Here." He holds the skull out for Megeshi to take. "Thanks for not eating me or the others. I wasn't expecting any of this to end well, so... thanks."
Jungle

"I get that a lot." The dragon muses as she swings her long tail around, showing remarkable prehensility with it as it wraps around the artifact. He better let it go before she wills him with him.

"Anything I can do for you while I'm here? You seem... lost."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Harley does let it go, glad to be rid of the deadly relic. He dusts his hands off with relief.

"You're right there, I'm lost in more ways than one, really," he chuckles, then looks around back the way he came to see if he can spot Raheeda. "Uh, my friend should be around here somewhere... if you could point us towards civilization I'd be grateful. Oh, and you don't have healing magic by any chance, do you?" It's pretty hard for wounds to fully close if you keep running around and tackling people.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Earl of Purple wrote: Apr 29, 2023 4:43 pm Off the Coast

Ah. This is... not at all what Frigate was expecting. Frigate draws his cutlass and strides over to the limb upon the deck and slashes away at it with the enchanted brass. It's reinforced to the point of steel, and further enchanted to prevent it sticking in anything no matter how deep it may bite- it's always easy to pull it free for the next swing.
Keeper wrote: May 17, 2023 3:30 pm Off the Coast

Well, Krayger would rather not be next to the cannons when they go off. The minotaur scrambles back up the ladder onto the deck once the tentacle monstrosity moves out of his way.
The crow's beak thrums in his hands. This is what it was made for. He just needs to get an opening.
[Off the Coast]

Fortunately, the cutlass designed for cutting through flesh easily does, in fact, cut through the flesh of the creature rather easily; perhaps disturbingly so, as Frigate will find himself with inanimate but still very human-looking limbs falling on top of him as he cuts away at some of the tentacle's constituent pieces.

Less fortunately, unlike a regular tentacle, this thing has individual hands that grasp and swing back at Frigate; after his first few cleaving strokes, he's going to find a small crowd of them groping and grasping at his body, while the tentacle itself flails around to try to locate him if he moves from his old spot.

Meanwhile, Krayger will find himself... right next to one of the cannons, unfortunately. It never gets a chance to go off, though; a horde of hands clambers over it and the demon wheeling it out, before catapulting them both up into the air.

"Shoot meeeeeeeeee!" The unfortunate demon yells frantically, falling back toward the water... where a blob of horridly mismatched, screaming faces awaits him, rippling as thousands of jaws gnash their teeth in anticipation.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

quillpleasant wrote: May 21, 2023 5:00 am Jungle

Harley does let it go, glad to be rid of the deadly relic. He dusts his hands off with relief.

"You're right there, I'm lost in more ways than one, really," he chuckles, then looks around back the way he came to see if he can spot Raheeda. "Uh, my friend should be around here somewhere... if you could point us towards civilization I'd be grateful. Oh, and you don't have healing magic by any chance, do you?" It's pretty hard for wounds to fully close if you keep running around and tackling people.
Jungle

"I suggest you go to a ordinary healer rather than me unless it's critical, little one. But I will direct you to one as you seem able to walk alright which incidentally would lead you to civilization too." Now would be the time to decline as this seems to be an offer even if she makes it sound more like an order.

The fact that she's a giant dragon probably adds to that perception.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Draconic Talks]

"Maybe another means of communication can be established. Where the townsfolk can communicate with you when they need it, and the other way around." Askeladd tries another angle. "It would foster a more respectful relationship on both sides."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Despite the scale and commanding presence of Megeshi, Harley doesn't seem particularly intimidated. Perhaps it's simply the acceptance that if he made her angry, there's absolutely nothing he could do about it.

"That's fine, it was a long shot anyway. Pain isn't urgent. But yeah, directions would be great." He walks back a little ways, scanning the area where he was hiding before. "Hey Raheeda!" he calls out, "The sky serpent isn't who you thought it was and she's nice and wants to help us!"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

Silence follows for a moment.

"ARE YOU SURE?!" Raheeda then shouts back from somewhere deeper within the jungle.
It seems like the pirates, and the occult woman, have taken this opportunity to abscond. Whatever they wanted with the relic forever a mystery.

"...well, I shall leave you to it. I have elsewhere to be. I'm going to conjure a wisp that will show you to glog, an organization dedicated to helping others. They will tend to your needs." Megeshi remarks.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Although Harley is somewhat curious about the pirates, it can't ruin the relief that he feels right now. "Yes I'm sure!" he calls out, the words echoing strangely in his mask. Turning back to Megeshi, he bows his head.

"Many thanks for the directions. And for not eating us. I wish you well, wherever the wind takes you."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jungle

"Wherever I want them to take me of course, I am the north wind after all." Then the dragon raises her wings to their full size, the trees around them shuddering in expectation. Then with a single beat she's suddenly in the air, along with the leaves of many of the nearby trees. At the same time she has opened her mouth and between her giant jaws an orb of pure lightning is formed.

It shoots out towards Harley but thankfully stops some distance away as the dragon ascends further until she disappears into the dark clouds above them.

"WHAT?!" He can hear Raheeda call back as with the beat of those giant wings she probably hasn't heard a thing.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Harley ducks his head against the powerful downdraft as Megeshi takes flight. As the great dragon soars off into the stormy sky, he raises a salute, watching in silence until she's gone from view. Now that's something you don't see every day.

He peers at the orb curiously. How does it work? Shrugging, he heads back towards Raheeda's hiding spot. The orb can wait for a moment.

As he gets closer he calls out again. "Hey, she's gone now! They're all gone actually, you can come out."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Off the Coast

It has been a long time since Frigate last had to deal with tentacles, and on that occasion once he fell overboard the kraken was no longer interested in him. It had developed an addiction to wood, and so was more interested in destroying the ship to eat than killing the sailors... though the sailors didn't want to let it and many died.

That tentacle also didn't have hands growing from it, so Frigate's a little concerned. He's heavy, and doesn't want to get grabbed, so he'll be backing away as he continues to swing and hack at the gruesome appendage. aiming to remove hands rather than cut through it. He has no idea what might happen if he cut a large chunk off the tentacle, but suspects it's nothing good.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

quillpleasant wrote: May 24, 2023 10:03 pm Jungle

Harley ducks his head against the powerful downdraft as Megeshi takes flight. As the great dragon soars off into the stormy sky, he raises a salute, watching in silence until she's gone from view. Now that's something you don't see every day.

He peers at the orb curiously. How does it work? Shrugging, he heads back towards Raheeda's hiding spot. The orb can wait for a moment.

As he gets closer he calls out again. "Hey, she's gone now! They're all gone actually, you can come out."
Jungle

The orb starts moving in the opposite direction as he heads towards the spot he left Raheeda. But before he's even halfway there she emerges from some bushes to his left. "Was that a dragon?" She inquires as she looks up at the clouds which the dragon disappeared into.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Harley tracks the orb with his eyes, trying to make sure it doesn't get too far away. How fast is it moving?

"I think so," he nods, "Apparently she was the true guardian of the artifact. Which means that it wasn't Yul I saw before, which is a good thing from what you've said of her." He gestures to the crackling orb. "Apparently this thing can lead us to a place called Glog, where they can heal me. Is that somewhere you want to go too?"
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[brackets lover] wrote: May 20, 2023 9:02 pm [Empty Beach]

"Ah, you play too? I don't go anywhere without my decks. Its how I settle most of my conflicts, even." Aaron returns a warm smile to TASbot, instinctively looking confused as Hoshiki bows to him. He had a clear lack of familiarity with Japanese custom, and thus awkwardly returned a very slight bow. Once Hoshiki tries the holds, they'd notice there'd be absolutely zero friction. Aaron held his arms out, watching on as Hoshiki's arms slide up his body to no effect. When he lifts under the arms, though, Hoshiki would be able to apply some upward force, albeit it would still feel as if he was holding a man made of melted butter. For his part, he'd have to be careful so as to not drop Aaron, who merely looked to the side in discomfort in the meantime.
"Well, the actual card game is a little slow for me. I only play the licenced videogames, to be honest," TASBot admits, chuckling.

TASBot's body language indicated he's perfectly confused at what he's seeing as Hoshiki tries and fails to lift up Aaron. "Okay, something's not computing here... How come you aren't gripping him properly? It's like he's covered in lubricant or something," the robot muses.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Empty Beach]

"I actually can't grip any part of his body", Hoshiki declares when he finally gets Aaron off the ground. The swordsman has both arms around Aaron, under his arms, and is maintaining the hold by gripping his own fingers. "Means I have to be more careful than usual. Though I guess Aaron-kun would still be able to slip through like a wet piece of soap if he just lifted his arms up. As is..." Hoshiki twists his body and using his height and immense strength, turns the meager upward motion into a throw. A normal man would be turned in the air and slammed against the rocks back first. But what will happen to Aaron?
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: May 23, 2023 10:43 pm [Draconic Talks]

"Maybe another means of communication can be established. Where the townsfolk can communicate with you when they need it, and the other way around." Askeladd tries another angle. "It would foster a more respectful relationship on both sides."
[Draconic Talks]

"So they can bother me with all their little problems?" Bishmu inquires, letting out a deep draconic sigh. "They wouldn't respect my need for privacy, and I haven't needed a single thing from any of the villages since I started up this... protection business." A beat.

"Well, besides the art of course."

"And mortals make art." Megeshi points out.

Jungle

"It was a she?" A beat. "How could you tell?" Raheeda scratches her head as she continues to stare up at the sky. "And why did she leave the thingy out here if she protected it? Weird."

She turns back to look at him. "Glog? Isn't that some kind of weapon? I mean, if the scary dragon said so I guess. She didn't eat you so I guess we can trust her." Then yuan-ti rubs her chin. "Unless glog is like a place where she prepares her meals or something. I haven't heard of it."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

Harley pauses for a moment. "Uh... I guess I couldn't really tell, just felt right. And I have no idea why the relic was here, or why the pirates wanted it. The details are still pretty fuzzy, but as long as no one's shooting at me or possessing me then I can live with some mystery." He spreads his arms in a dismissive gestures. When you're a giant dragon, you earn the right to not explain yourself.

"A weapon? I have no idea. But yeah, if she wanted me dead it wouldn't be hard. I think a determined duck could do me in right now. Of course, we don't have to trust her, we could just head inland and see what we can find. Assuming you want to stick together, of course. The danger is over, so I'd understand if you want to go your own way." It's not exactly a question, but he's clearly wondering what her response will be.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

quillpleasant wrote: May 28, 2023 4:42 am Jungle

Harley pauses for a moment. "Uh... I guess I couldn't really tell, just felt right. And I have no idea why the relic was here, or why the pirates wanted it. The details are still pretty fuzzy, but as long as no one's shooting at me or possessing me then I can live with some mystery." He spreads his arms in a dismissive gestures. When you're a giant dragon, you earn the right to not explain yourself.

"A weapon? I have no idea. But yeah, if she wanted me dead it wouldn't be hard. I think a determined duck could do me in right now. Of course, we don't have to trust her, we could just head inland and see what we can find. Assuming you want to stick together, of course. The danger is over, so I'd understand if you want to go your own way." It's not exactly a question, but he's clearly wondering what her response will be.
Jungle

"Oh." Raheeda sounds disappointed. "For a moment there I thought you actually were a dragon expert. That would have been cool."

A beat. "Not that you're not cool but... y'know?"

Raheeda then gestures to the wisp they're following. "Well, I gotta make sure you're not following that to a dragon barbecue aren't I?" She pauses. "Also, honestly, I don't know where else to go. As I said, I am a bit lost. Going to the ocean was my only plan and I don't think I want to stay around. Too much salt."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Jungle

"I mean, I'd definitely be cooler if I was a dragon expert. But that's true of pretty much everyone who isn't a dragon expert," Harley nods, a smile in his voice. He seems relieved that Raheeda is coming with.

"And I couldn't agree more, I've had enough of the ocean for a long while. Let's go be lost together somewhere far away from here." And he begins to follow the crackling orb to the strange land of Glog- or wherever it ends up going.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Empty Beach]

Aaron, for his part, would try specifically not to lift his arms up so as to not ruin the demonstration. The throw succeeds, though notably there'd be no impact on Aaron. Rather, any rocks caught beneath him would be squished, scattered or broken. He'd stand up afterwards, brushing the rock shards off his jacket.

Unphased by this, Aaron turns to TASbot, shooting a proud grin and holding a finger up while speaking in an explanatory manner, "That would be because of my All-Encompassing Repulsion Hex. It repels everything."

He places a hand on the back of his head, making a rubbing motion over his hair as he was unable to actually make contact with it, "Doesn't have much use, if i'm being honest. Can't really think of a way to make a living off of it."
Last edited by [brackets lover] on May 30, 2023 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Draconic Talks]

"Perhaps you can strike up a new deal in exchange for artwork." Askeladd seizes on the one thing Bishmu seems to actually care about (besides his own ego). "More transparently this time and with more privacy for you. I think you'll also find that people will be more willing to give you genuine works of art if they're not being coerced to do so."