Planeside

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: Planeside

Post by Rebonack »

[Primordial Bog]

Given how big Kol is and how normal person sized his mom is Khannie isn't really sure how possible lap sitting would even be.

More seriously, Khannie heaves a heavy sigh.

"My mother, Fortuna, she's a draconequus. A spirit of primordial chaos. But, I mean, I guess she technically creates things? Just not ordered things. Like, she makes stuff as jokes. Changes stuff around."

Khannie frowns a bit.

"She really wasn't ever around to help take care of me. Mostly she just shows up sometimes and causes trouble. "

Fortuna has definitely helped before but Khannie isn't about to give her credit for it.

Tags:
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Primordial Bog]

The silver-haired woman shakes her head sympathetically, gently stroking Kol's head like a small cat, apparently finding his position to be a reasonable compromise. She even gives him some small scritches under the chin, gently massaging behind his jaw as she ponders Khannie's words.

"In that case... apologies if I overstep any boundaries here, but... are you all right, Khannie?" The silver-haired woman asks quietly. "It sounds as though there's a lot of anger there. Kol was not exactly thrilled to see me for the first time since he was born, for much the same reason." She gives the dragon a gentle stroke along the chin as the explanation continues. "I understand entirely if you don't want to get into it. I'm your friend's mom, that you just met today; that doesn't imply very much trust. But if you feel the need to... vent, just let it out. We're all friends here, and talking about these things tends to help with processing them." She leans forward a little, and mutters to Kol, "The same applies to you, if you would like."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Primordial Bog

Henry shrugs his wings.
"I mean, I've already said my piece, Mom. I'm mad about the whole 'forgetting about me for fifteen years' and 'letting a world die' things, and I think your constant defending a serial killer is not a great look. We've gone over it."
Kol doesn't think his mom trying to play therapist about issues that are ultimately her fault is going to work out.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Hell Frozen Over]

Fully stepping inside the realm, Reginald and Jon find its just as dark as it appears to be. As the place where they've landed is without sun, visual perception is essentially useless. Even if one could see in pitch black dark, a buffet of snow would quickly blind them anyways. Reginald's collar would protect him from the cold, but Jon on the other hand doesn't even look like he needs it, being completely unperturbed by the temperature.

Here, Jon's sense of smell comes into play, providing him sensual information as well as a human's eyes would. When he notices Reginald having come in with him, he turns his head back. "Arf... yip? (You... friend?)" he asks for confirmation, looking around frantically, "Bark woof? ...Arf whine. (Where mom? ...Can't smell.)" All that was in range of Jon's olfactory senses were leaveless trees decorating the land and there was a frozen over lake a fair distance to the side, the smell indicating fish presided under the ice for a long time. Whether they still do or not is a matter of question.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Primordial Bog]

Khannie puffs out her cheeks a bit, averting her gaze.

Does she wanna talk about it?

Why is she so mad?

Well that's easy.

"There's a thing from comics I really like. 'With great power comes great responsibility'. And Fortuna's got a whole lotta power and she uses it for... pranks and jokes and junk. She uses it to amuse herself. That isn't what people should use power to do."

She stands up a little straighter, lashing her tail behind herself.

"It's the sorta thing villains do."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Primordial Bog]

"I suppose we have, at that." The silver-haired woman smiles and gives Kol another gentle pat down the back of his head, gently massaging that tense spot where his skull meets his neck.

And then her attention returns to Khannie.

"Ah. I see. You're a lot like Abby, in that way." The woman gives her a smile that's as affectionate as it is melancholy. "With the power she commands, Fortuna could be doing so many good things. She could feed everyone in your world; and not scantily, but with the finest foods the mind can conceive. Or she could fix the weather; make it always sunny, but not too sunny, bring about enough rain to help the world grow but avert the floods that would wash it away. Or she could put an end to death, and nobody would ever be separated from their loved ones again."

"Or at least, so one would assume." The silver-haired woman shrugs. "What a god can and can't do isn't always very clear. Even to them and especially not to anyone else. But the point remains that she could be doing so much and she simply... isn't. It must all seem terribly callous."

The silver-haired woman puts a hand to her chin and ponders for a moment. "...Perhaps it is. Sitting away from everything and finding new and innovative ways to amuse oneself... It's hardly the most helpful a god can be. What do you suppose is running through her head as she does this? Indifference? Malice? Amusement?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Primordial Bog

"Sometimes the best thing a god can do is take a step back before their clumsy hands crush everything." Kol says quietly.
That is what he said back in the dorms, isn't it? More or less.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Miss Hesperos goes to Heaven]

Near, but not in, the area of Elysium where visitors (or newcomers) usually arrive the head of a scythe suddenly cuts through the air and travels in a 180 degree circular arch until it disappears into the same thin air it appeared from.
But it leaves behind a thin horizontal black line that would have looked two-dimensional if viewed from above.

It seems almost like it's a string that have been somehow suspended in the air, at least until it suddenly opens like a mouth, revealing inky blackness within. But from that floating pool of darkness the unusually large leg of a goat emerges followed by the woman it's attached to. Carefully climbing out of it as if coming in from a window.
She takes a quick look around at her surroundings before letting her hooves touch the ground or street as it might be.

Now where would she find someone who could allow her entrance?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Primordial Bog]

Khannie starts a bit at that last question.

What does she THINK her mother is thinking?

She shuffles back and forth on her hooves a bit, considering the question.

Has she ever really thought about that before?

Not...

Really.

She always just sorta assumed that Fortuna is off doing her own thing selfishly without caring about anyone else. What else could explain the fact that she's unwilling to really help people?

"...I dunno," Khannie finally admits.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Primordial Bog]

The silver-haired woman gives Kol a little boop on the nose and a good-natured trill. "Well said." She agrees. "That was why Abby and I weren't more directly active in our own world. We found it a bit difficult to intervene on the smaller scale. The power to render galaxies from the aether is quite a bit less focused than putting bread on the table." She smiles. "I'm sure you've already seen an example in your big brother. He tries very hard not to break anything and has a very hard time doing it... and is much, much younger and smaller than your stepfather and I."

The silver-haired woman's attention returns to Khannie. "It might be that your mother is much the same way." She continues. "It wouldn't be surprising. Or it may be that your first impression was entirely correct. I can't say I know." She smiles warmly. "Perhaps it's something you could ask her, the next time you see her."

[Miss Hesperos Goes To Heaven]

...tk-tk

Is the sound of a pen dropping to the floor, falling from the hand of a very shocked-looking angelic clerk, staring wide-eyed and slack-jawed at the goat that just appeared in her lobby.

"...She's new." A second clerk explains with a patient smile, gesturing for the goat to approach his window. "To what do we owe the pleasure, Miss Hesperos? Neither of your other charges have arrived yet today."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Felandria
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Felandria »

[brackets lover] wrote: Dec 31, 2023 2:09 am [Hell Frozen Over]

Fully stepping inside the realm, Reginald and Jon find its just as dark as it appears to be. As the place where they've landed is without sun, visual perception is essentially useless. Even if one could see in pitch black dark, a buffet of snow would quickly blind them anyways. Reginald's collar would protect him from the cold, but Jon on the other hand doesn't even look like he needs it, being completely unperturbed by the temperature.

Here, Jon's sense of smell comes into play, providing him sensual information as well as a human's eyes would. When he notices Reginald having come in with him, he turns his head back. "Arf... yip? (You... friend?)" he asks for confirmation, looking around frantically, "Bark woof? ...Arf whine. (Where mom? ...Can't smell.)" All that was in range of Jon's olfactory senses were leaveless trees decorating the land and there was a frozen over lake a fair distance to the side, the smell indicating fish presided under the ice for a long time. Whether they still do or not is a matter of question.
Reginald nods vigorously to indicate that he is, indeed, friend!

And he places himself next to Jon, ready to provide whatever assistance is needed.

For example, he could cast Find The Path…….
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Miss Hesperos Goes To Heaven]

The goat stares down up the clerk addressing them before taking on a more humanoid shape and gets up her her hooves and gives the first clerk a short but nonetheless elaborate bow. "No disrespect taken oh angel of administration."

As she dips up she walks over to the second clerk. "Well met though I don't think I've actually meet you it's nonetheless an honor that you still know my name. Since I am here on a task most dire." She leans in closer, her word but a whisper. "The archfiends, the devils themselves, of your world has laid their claim to the one I've traveled from. Those diabolical monsters are making it a part of their twisted game of souls and I've come in a mission to learn more about these most sadistic of foes."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Miss Hesperos Goes to Heaven]

"...I see."

Hm. One would probably expect a less nonplussed reaction to being told that the ultimate evil as they know it is spreading to another world. As it is, the angel is looking at her with much the same expression he might have if she told him that the cafeteria was discontinuing Taco Tuesday.

"I suppose we could start by directing you to one of our libraries." He continues, shuffling around some papers underneath the windowsill. "There's one in New Eden that has the sort of literature you might be looking for. I'll need to get permission to send you up there, of course, but I'm sure you'll be in the clear, given both the circumstances and in light of your previous contributions."

As he talks, the clerk scribbles out something on a form in front of him, rolling it up and putting it into a canister he produces from behind his counter, before reaching overhead with it and watching the document disappear into the ceiling with a soft foomp.

"In the meantime, I can give you something of a primer on the subject. I'm no expert, of course, but common knowledge up here isn't the same thing as it is down there. I'm sure I can help provide some insight." The angel smiles. "What is it you wish to know?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jaahlyn's black eyes studies the angels expression for a moment as he explains all this and then gives him a nod. "Well, first of all, thank you for the directions, not to mention this permission." She smiles back. "But I admit, I was expecting more of a reaction. Is them invading other worlds this common? Or is their danger simply exaggerated?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Primordial Bog

Absum can be surgically precise when he wants to. If you count being able to horribly smite one specific person with solar lightning instead of blasting everyone in town when you only really need to slap him.
"...am I gonna be that big some day? I would...really prefer not to be. I don't want to go spraying fire or sand all the time and worrying about rolling over and crushing a mountain."
Kol definitely has started to show signs of being unable to turn off his creation much like how Eos can't stop destroying. The sand and dirt piling up around him. The flowers growing. And of course, the fish.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Shadowcaller wrote: Jan 12, 2024 5:21 pm [Miss Hesperos Goes to Heaven]

Jaahlyn's black eyes studies the angels expression for a moment as he explains all this and then gives him a nod. "Well, first of all, thank you for the directions, not to mention this permission." She smiles back. "But I admit, I was expecting more of a reaction. Is them invading other worlds this common? Or is their danger simply exaggerated?"

"More that it was something of a foregone conclusion." The angel replies, leaning against the counter in an attempt to get comfortable. "Your world already had some demon inhabitants, after which we have already seen some of the Devils send their servants and vessels. That the Devils would take more of an interest in your world after the fact is as predictable as yesterday's weather." He gives a little shrug. "Although it's not uncommon to see them try to branch out like this, either. They don't seem to have any particular interest in staying jn their own proverbial lane. Without any significant checks, the question wasn't really if they were going to try something, but rather when."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jaahlyn steps back and adopts a more conversational tone now that it's clear that this is fairly common.

"So how nefarious are they exactly? Since it has already plenty of dark things lurking within it and I'm not sure how much yet another one would change the daily lives of the nexus inhabitants. I got the impression that these villains of yours are more corruptive than destructive. Though given that your own world isn't doomed as far as I could tell from the memories of DEATHKISS I'm guessing that it isn't a lifeless desert at the very least. They want people to be alive so they can feast upon their emotions, don't they? Kind of like the spirits of my own world."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

"That's more or less correct." The angel confirms, rolling his pen between his hands. "If an analogy were to be drawn, one might think of them as a virulent disease. Ideally for them, they wouldn't destroy your world entirely, although that can happen if it isn't sufficiently prepared. But they'll parasitize it indefinitely and even if you were to start systemically cutting off their influence, the odds favor your world isn't going to be entirely free from them again."

The angel frowns. "I'm sure that sounds terrible. And it really is. But Devil infestation is a manageable condition, and we busy ourselves here every day with finding a cure. For the most part, as long as nobody does anything crazy, and I mean apocalyptically crazy, life should more or less go on as normal, and it's only the afterlife that needs to be worried."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jaahlyn considers for a moment if calling the nexus 'her world' was correct. She supposed it was close enough even if she wasn't a native.

"The devils were beaten to the punch a long time ago. Since from what I've heard the really bad apocalypses in the nexus happened in the past, long before they arrived and from my understanding they were quite frequent too. So they can probably not make it worse than it was at least. But you're right, that isn't sounding ideal. So how do they work exactly? Do they just tempt people with power, riches and lust or is there some sort of subtle mind control at work?"
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

"A bit of both, I suppose." The clerk steeples his fingers. "Although 'control' is something of a mischaracterization. More... 'cultivate', I suppose you could say. Find the weaknesses in the souls they want to eat, and pick at them until they turn from minor flaws into damnable vices. And then proceed to eat them." The angel grimaces. "Ostensibly, it improves the 'flavor'. Hardly a consolation for the victims, though."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Curious.
"Quite lowkey for the ultimate evil of your plane aren't they? I mean, relatively of course. Since I don't mean to understate people-eating here. But to me it seems like they're more of a threat as leaders than as forces of nature given that most demons out there serve them, no?"
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

The clerk shrugs. "I suppose you could say that." He acknowledges. "Though I'm not sure how that distinction is helpful. The demons answer to them, certainly, but that doesn't go any way toward solving the Devil problem unless you intend to remove either the demons as implements or the Devils themselves." The clerk leans against the counter. "With the former being both unethical and very temporary, and the latter being impossible, they might as well be a force of nature, irrespective of technicalities."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"My point is that the demons as a whole seem more dangerous than the devils themselves. Since by my understanding they're doing largely the same thing but are much more numerous." She shakes her head lightly.

"But I've digressed. There was just one more question I have, I've been told that there are a number of founding angels that might know more about the devils than even your libraries. Is it possible getting an audience with them?"
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

"...I was worried you might ask that." The angel frowns. "They're all exceptionally busy people, and as immortals, we're not really, ah, caught up in the same sense of urgency as mortal beings. I might be able to petition a meeting for you, in..." He inhales sharply and types something into a computer off to his side. "...Oh." He clears his throat. "...You probably don't want to know."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

And she had been worried that would be the answer. "Any chance I could bypass the line in some way? I'm not looking to take up much of their precious time and it's a important matter." The only reason she didn't tell the angel what she wanted was because it seemed disrespectful. They had probably devoted countless of mortal lifetimes into researching this and here an outsider came along and asked if it it could be done be done ASAP. Preferably before lunch.

As if they weren't doing everything in their power to answer that very question right now.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

"There's no way I could do that, no." The angel replies despondently. "I'm looking at the same public resources as your average angel on the streets above. Arranging meetings with the founders is... not really a part of my department." He gestures toward the building around them. "Your best bet would probably be to visit with one of their staff, someone a bit closer to where they actually are. The good news is, that would probably also take you to New Eden. The bad news is, it's still well above my proverbial pay grade."

fwump!

The angel looks off to one side and retrieves a canister from just out of view, opening it and quickly skimming the documents inside. "...And there's another point for the Good News column." He mutters, handing Jaahlyn the papers. "You're cleared for entry. I hope you find what you're looking for."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Jaahlyn's gaze follows where he gestures. She had a feeling today she'd be dealing with far more bureaucracy than she really had the patience for, but at least it was better than fighting, right?

She could feel her death aspect disagree vehemently.

Well, this wasn't about that bitch.

The satyr smiles at the clerk. "That's alright, I had expected as much." She barely finishes the sentences when the canister arrives. Surely that couldn't be related to her, could it?
But it seemed like she was wrong. "Thank you then, you've been extremely helpful. I'll try to pass by here when I leave to give you an update." She will then give him a courteous bow before heading inside. Moving towards the building the angel had pointed out.

As she walks she idly wondered if she should have traded her black coat for something a bit more presentable. She had basically worn the same clothes for such a long time that it was difficult to wear anything else. At least when she wasn't trying to impress Jim...
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

The clerk nods and offers her a small smile, before turning his attention to the next of what was likely a very long list of tasks to get done today.

Most of the process after this point will seem quite familiar. There's a set of stairs leading up and out of the building at the far end of the entry hall, up which she's wordlessly ushered by an angel in a security guard uniform upon presenting her papers. From there, it's a quick walk to the side of that immaculate road, from which one could catch a bus to nearly any part of Elysium.

This time, however, things are a bit different. The Pearly Gates bus is apparently running late, or at least not in-cycle with Jaahlyn's arrival. So she's probably going to be stuck at the bus stop for a bit.

At least she has company.

Said company consisting of a dark-skinned boy, hiding behind the bench by the side of the road. Most of him is still hidden, except for the top half of his head as he peers up at her in a wide-eyed, anxious gaze... until he's spotted, at which point he ducks out of sight.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

As last time, Jaahlyn felt out of place here. But it wasn't like this place rejected her, in fact it seemed more than welcoming despite her status as an outsider. It was more that her own nature was rejecting it, though for reasons she couldn't understand. Not yet at least.

But that was fine, sometimes it just took time to find logic even in ones own emotions.

She is about to close her eyes and lose herself in her own thoughts while waiting for the vehicle when she spots boy, only for him to disappear a moment later.
"I'm not dangerous." The satyr says out loud. "Just a stranger in a strange land." She was pretty sure that was a quote but she couldn't recall from where her mind might have taken it. Probably scripture she had come across at some point.

If he doesn't appear again she will start to whistle a tune to herself to pass the time.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

"You look pretty dangerous." Comes the boy's reply. "Like one of those baddies up on demon street."

He doesn't seem entirely convinced, however. He peeks out over the bench again, staring at Jaahlyn in much the same way he might an eight-foot-tall bipedal insect.

"...Mum says you're dangerous." He adds, a little reluctantly.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,