Planeside

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Planeside

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Bronze Pyramid

-Interesting. Who assisted you in the procedure? Perhaps we will be able to compare notes with them.- Or do what they usually do, and trade knowledge for knowledge.

-Members of the Spatio-Temporal Cartographic Union of Exploratory Physicists would likely be better positioned than I to know about such theories. I am a research biologist, with a primary focus upon pokemon, a secondary focus upon the anatomical mechanisms of flight and a tertiary focus on freshwater molluscs.- The Spatiotemporal Cartographic Union of Exploratory Physicists are partially responsible for growing the Bronze Pyramid's internal spaces, as they are currently outside most realities. Which is one reason why time can be pumped here.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.

Tags:
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[The Bronze Pyramid]

~You have a department for mapping space-time? Neat~, LB-M comments. To answer the question asked of her, she has to wrack her tiny brain. ~I was assisted - generated, really - by an older mew. Doctor Geneva Richards, I think was her name? And at least on other entity, who said she was my sister. I guess many more people may have been involved directly or indirectly, but I have not met them, so I can't tell you who they are.~ It hits occurs to her as she answers that these types of questions pretty much prove these bug-types are not part of Geneva's group. Which means she's been abducted, likely behind VIGIL's back. Oops. Oh well, no reason to fret. Everything is going fine.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Bronze Pyramid

~They also map extradimensional areas where time or space don't interact in the same ways, and they help the Wikipede expand the Bronze Pyramid. If it weren't for them, pumping time from the vaults would be a lot trickier.~ They've also just started weighing CDs, floppy discs and memory sticks before and after putting data on them, as this Encyclopede transferred it from their brain into the Encyclopede's hive mind. ~I have informed the Department of Organisational Personnel Management of this. We'll see if we can interview Doctor Geneva Richards on this subject, possibly not in the same manner as I am interviewing you.~ Since they didn't realise LB-M was a person, and thought it was simply an animal produced in an unusual way; they were planning on abducting her, scanning her, and then returning her before anyone noticed. Now... things are a little trickier, as they don't really want Vigil to know they've been spying- even if Vigil is aware somebody has been spying on them and the Encyclopedes have had to replace their observation drone. They do have mind-wiping technology, but it's not always very reliable.

Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[The Bronze Pyramid]

~Mmm-hmmm~, LB-M nods along. ~So, have you gotten what you wanted me yet? If you're satisfied, please return me to near where you found me. But preferably not a locked room. Also, since you keep mentioning it... what is this Wikipede? Is it like you, but bigger? Will you grow up to be a Wikipede one day?~
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Bronze Pyramid

~Yes, we have. The Wikipede is... rather hard to explain. The conglomeration of our combined knowledge, learning and wisdom. The mind linking us all together. The device incubating our eggs and maintaining our population. I will not grow up to become a Wikipede, though I am already part of it. Would you like to see it? It's not an opportunity many visitors get. Consider it an apology for our behaviour.~ With that, however, the Encyclopede turns to leave, headed back the way it came and followed by its porygon minion.

Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[The Bronze Pyramid]

LB-M hops, then floats after the Encyclopede, presuming she is meant to follow and that they're going to retrace their steps to get back. Something about how the bug-type describes the Wikipede sounds awfully familar to her, but she can't explain why. Surely, she has neither seen nor heard of such an entity, yet existence of it sounds as natural as can be. ~Is the Wikipede something that can be seen?~, she asks, but then realizes it's a silly question. She has senses beyond sight, she is already communicating with this bug-type mentally, if the bug-type is connected to a hivemind, she might also be able to interface with the hivemind just by fine-tuning her psychic wavelength.

But on a second thought, if it can be seen, it would save her a lot of effort. ~If it is something that can be seen, I would very much like to~, she hurries to add, ~it sounds very interesting, this Wikipede.~
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Bronze Pyramid

~Indeed it is. It has a heart, for want of a better word. Although 'brain' might be more accurate.~ They aren't going exactly the way they came, instead carrying on down the tunnel away from the continental library LB-M saw earlier, before opening a mechanical iris-type door into a perfectly square corridor, every surface made of white plastic and covered in scrawled writing and mathematical equations of varying complexity and in varying languages and scripts and colours. A blue skutter with a three-fingered gripper trundles past with a mop, getting to work on mopping the floor to clean off the complex equations.

Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[The Bronze Pyramid]

LB-M meows in astonishment as they step into the multicoloured, multi-script room. She floats around excitedly, trying to get a good look of every piece of the surface. If she can commit even a bit of it into memory, she can try translating it later on. She almost bumps into the skutter, though she's so light it would likely barely notice even if she did.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Bronze Pyramid

It's a corridor, and LB-M won't have long as the Encyclopede carries on along the corridor. Their destination is beyond it. There's five right-angle bends in the corridor, which may well clue LB-M into the fact something fishy is going on with space here (especially as each bend is equidistant to the others) and the whole corridor is covered in the equations, though the maths becomes confused, the symbols change, and after a while instead they're walking through a corridor covered in arcane graffiti describing magical formulae, ritual circles, and so on, interspersed with alchemical symbols, the Seal of Solomon, Zodiac marks, and other more arcane symbols.

(If LB-M manages to memorise sections to translate, likely nothing will happen; the equations, both magical and mathematic, are describing the nature of reality to anchor that corridor in such a way it can coexist with itself.)

It ends with a large door made of bronze. The Encyclopede will knock against it with its antennae, and then there's some chundering thuds as heavy bolts are released.

Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[The Bronze Pyramid]

Translation will have to wait for another day. LB-M would appreciate if the bug-type moved slower so she could take her time admiring all this, but doesn't complain. After all, she's here as a guest, and as interesting as this place is, she really needs to get out of here before people at VIGIL start to fret.

She catches on to something being off after the fifth turn, when she realizes they ought to be where they started, but clearly aren't. There's something awfully familiar to that, too, but she can't put her paw on it. She turns to look behind them for a brief while, before floating next to the Encyclopede and descending on the floor. The door looks very big and heavy from where she's standing - that it would be true of almost any door does not make it any less impressive. She holds her breath in anticipation of seeing what's beyond.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Bronze Pyramid

If she asked, the Encyclopede may well slow down. Until then, though, this is... just home to it. As weird, exciting and strange as LB-M finds it, the Encyclopede is used to it all.

The door hisses as it's opened by a hydraulic mechanism, and the Encyclopede leads the way through. The door leads onto a metal gantry, the floor textured boilerplate, The gantry overlooks another large chamber, this one clearly pyramidal with the door halfway up one side. In the centre is a large tank of bubbling fluid, an immense brain suspended within. There's fibre optic cables running into the tank and across the floor into several banks of computers of varying ages and sophistication. It's hot in here, with the computers giving off a lot of waste heat- except it's not wasted, as the walls are covered in eggs, large and sticky things half a metre tall, many with a young Encyclopede visible within. Occasionally one hatches, the myriapodal creature within bursting from its shell and flopping down onto the gantry, where it is quickly collected by mature Encyclopedes who clean it up and carry it off. The brain pulses, and occasionally pushes an egg from the folds of its grey matter, which floats to the surface of the and where it is quickly scooped up in a net by hovering robots and passed to an Encyclopede. Every time an egg hatches, another egg is produced shortly afterwards, and it goes into the space vacated by the prior hatchling.

Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

Shadowcaller wrote: Apr 08, 2023 9:17 pm [Elysium]

Jaahlyn gives a shrug in response. Of course she wouldn't be uncomfortable with DEATHKISS as the subject. She hadn't really been involved in the band beyond that one concert after all. But she didn't like the idea of Melody being uncomfortable so it was best to stop talking about it.
"Okay, but you haven't been able to view me, right?" Since that would be a concern depending on how far back they could look. "Since my 'mortal world' is... not like this." She gestures through the nearest window with a view of the city.

Which made her realize something.

"...also, where are we going?"
[Elysium]

"Oh, no, we totally have." Grace replies with a smile. "Been able, I mean. Actually looking... well, I'm sure there's probably somebody up here who has, by dint of sheer numbers, but I can tell you that you weren't in the magazines or anything until recently. Still, we have what's basically the ultimate bird's-eye view up here; I'm sure you noticed with these past couple of hearings."

She gives a dismissive wave. "I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most of us aren't really in the business of sticking our noses in other peoples' pasts. We're more of a now-and-in-the-future sort of people. I mean, the sort of nonsense you'd find in my timeline alone..."

"...What?" Melody asks, intrigued.

"...Well, actually it'd probably come across as pretty tame now, but at the time, it would've been quite the scandal." Grace grins. "Anyway, we're on our way up to a town called Bricam. Or at least, that's what we call it now. It's an abbreviation of the town's official name, 'Big Rock Candy Mountain'. The town's founders are big fans of folk music." She shrugs. "It's a quant little place, tucked into some gorgeous natural scenery. We'll be dropping off one of our passengers there and then continuing on to Long Falls, Paradisium, and finally, New Eden. You're welcome to stay anywhere you like, and we've got a reliable public transportation system if you ever find yourself changing your mind. Or if you can't decide, we bring food and blankets onboard every twelve hours."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[The Bronze Pyramid]

It's a very curious arrangment. LB-M wonders what of this came first - the computers or the bugs? Did the growing centipede hive one day decide to start hoarding all kinds of technology they could get their legs on, or did someone design the bugs to take care of this weird collection? ~Neat~, she broadcasts, ~I take it this is where you hatched as well? That brain, is it the central processing unit of the Wikipede? It doesn't look a lot like you. Is it of different origin?~
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Bronze Pyramid

~Indeed I was. The brain is, yes. It is not of different origin, but it is not of us. I cannot go into details. That knowledge is too dangerous in the hands of any who might want to seize our knowledge without trading for it.~ It's about the only knowledge the Encyclopedes don't share with outsiders, no matter what they offer in exchange. This close to the Wikipede, the voice seems to echo in LB-M's mind, as both the Encyclopede and the brain in the tank transmit to her.

Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Elysium]

They could?!

Did that mean just what she had done in the nexus or her own world as well? And how far back? Her entire mortal life? Baphoret's life? Since she had no idea how far back that even was. More concerning however were the things she had done that were so atrocious that she still could recall them. Even if they had happened several lifetimes ago.

"...I see." But they hadn't published anything about that so she was probably safe on that front.
It was enough that one group of angels knew everything about her.

Wait, what were they talking about again?

Right, where they were going. "Sounds nice." She remarks, not waiting to come off as weird since she fell silent all of sudden.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[The Bronze Pyramid]

The tiny mew gazes at the brain-in-a-vat in contemplative silence. Based on the Encyclopede's words, she figures this Wikipede is artificial in nature, it was placed here on purpose by someone. Could it have been a prior generation of these bug-types, or was this all a result of human hands? Or perhaps some even more exotic precursor she hasn't seen and cannot even imagine yet.

~I understand~, she broadcasts, "thanks for showing this much. You've satisfied my curiosity. I'm ready to return now.~ She floats back towards the door, looking expectantly at the Encyclopede.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Bronze Pyramid

The Encyclopede nods its head and turns to leave, the door still open. When LB-M follows, the door is shut behind them once more. The Encyclopede goes back along the corridor and turns the corner. This area should be one LB-M's seen before; it's the same turning from the same corridor as the one before she witnessed the heart of the Wikipede (or what she was told was the heart of the Wikipede) but despite sharing a shape and dimensions with the prior corridor, the equations scrawled over the walls, floor, and ceiling are different; for one thing, there's a vast copy of the Mona Lisa made up of thousands of words and numbers written very close together in different colours and overlapping to form the image. There's also only two turnings before they're somewhere new, a very large chamber, with a vast number of wooden ducks held on shelves around the room. There's also replicas of birds sat on the higher shelves; the hoatzin she arrived via is visible, as is an orange hoopoe and a variety of others. The hoatzin flaps awkwardly to the ground, before gaping its mouth wide and stretching impossibly back into a doorway to the room in Vigil they left.

Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[The Bronze Pyramid]

LB-M is not taking too much care counting the twists and turns this time, but she stops to admire the copy of Mona Lisa. She finds its composition fascinating and familiar at the same time - a relatively primitive two-dimensional version of how she encoded herself as a thoughtform. Or maybe not primitive... it might have all kinds of interesting things hidden in its composition that she simply can't recognize for now. But, she can't linger, and hurries after the Encyclopede so as to not get lost. In the end, through the stinking bird's mouth, back to VIGIL they go!
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Shadowcaller wrote: Apr 15, 2023 6:50 pm [Elysium]

They could?!

Did that mean just what she had done in the nexus or her own world as well? And how far back? Her entire mortal life? Baphoret's life? Since she had no idea how far back that even was. More concerning however were the things she had done that were so atrocious that she still could recall them. Even if they had happened several lifetimes ago.

"...I see." But they hadn't published anything about that so she was probably safe on that front.
It was enough that one group of angels knew everything about her.

Wait, what were they talking about again?

Right, where they were going. "Sounds nice." She remarks, not waiting to come off as weird since she fell silent all of sudden.
[Elysium]

"It is nice." Grace agrees with a smile. "We don't call it heaven for nothing. At any rate, we have a few hours before anything that doesn't speak for itself is gonna show up in those windows, so if either of you have questions for me, now would be an excellent time."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Elysium]

Jaahlyn raises her hand, an old habit from her novice days. "Are there only angels here? I mean, is there some kind of hierarchy like with, ah, the other ones?" She found it a bit ironic that she was here given that in her own world she was the closest thing to a demon herself without actually being classified as one. She belonged firmly in the underworld.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Elysium]

"Ah, yeah, terrific question." Grace compliments, grinning. "Yes, it's basically all angels up here. We have a few of what we call shades, who like yourself, are just visiting. They're not here for more than a few hours at a time, and usually much less than that. People who are either dying or clinically dead, or else having a dream that one of us wants to use to talk to them."

"As for the angels themselves... well, no, we don't have a hierarchy, but we do recognize a few different types. There's not any major differences between them, all told... it's purely demographic information. For instance, Melody and I would both be what we typically call Seraphs up here; angels that have lived full lives. We've also got Cherubs, which are angels that died young and were still kids when they got up here, and Ophies, which are angels that were non-lucid when they reached the Peccatorium; usually senile, but there are other cases where it might happen. We mostly acknowledge these because Elysium's a bit of a different experience for them; Cherubs grow up only knowing paradise, while Ophies tend to have a bit of a rough start, since Elysium marks the most clearly they've experienced the world around them in a while." Grace smiles. "Then there's some sorting by profession; missionaries, guardian angels, and so on. Not much different from the mortal realm that way."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Elysium]

Senile? She vaguely remembered that as a brain disease of sort based on how Grace described it. She certainly hoped people got cured of that when coming here...

"I suspect our 'mortal realms' are rather different. Though not in that regard." Jaahlyn observes in the relation to jobs. "So everyone here was originally mortal? Feels... strange I have to say. I'm used to otherworldly beings ordering everything." She had a feeling the fey wouldn't like the idea of mortals turning immortal like this but the reasons for that wasn't something she was allowed to discuss.

Besides, they seemed to do just fine here just looking around at this beautiful city. Much better than she would have suspected.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Elysium]

"All the way back to the founders." Grace confirms. "Not that we have a problem with otherworldly beings in general... ours just haven't been very kind and we don't let them through the front door."

"Understatement." Melody mutters to Jaahlyn.
Last edited by Ironsmith on Apr 21, 2023 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Elysium]

"Can't say ours are particularly kind either." Jaahlyn comments but feels like she could leave it at that. "So I'm not surprised. Differences in morality and ethics I imagine. Tend to happen with beings that are so fundamentally different." She couldn't even really fully grasp what she was. Perhaps she could while she wasn't limited by a mortal mind but frankly she wasn't all that interested.

Since the answer was obvious anyway, weird.

"But what's your relationship with the other ones then? Since another thing I consider strange is this 'good or evil' system. Is there nothing in-between?"
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Elysium]

"Oh, yeah, that." Grace gives Jaahlyn a little shrug. "You wouldn't be the first mortal to get hung up on that. Or, well... quasi-mortal. Point being, it's easy to get the wrong idea. See, Elysium isn't a reward for do-gooders, and the Abyss isn't punishment for people we don't like. Elysium is a sanctuary, a safe place. Any offshoots we were to make- some kind of purgatory, for instance- would necessarily either use the same safeguards as Elysium, and therefore be indistinguishable from it, or would fall to the Abyss, and be indistinguishable from it. It's not that we only consider people good or evil; it's that we consider places safe and unsafe."

"So, what, you knowingly ship people who might be good off to a place you know is awful?" Melody frowns.

"Consider the alternative. We'd be bringing in people who could, and if the Devils had their way, would bring down Elysium." Grace shakes her head. "Every soul we can't save is a tragedy. But if you want to blame somebody for the endless pit of suffering below us, we blame the Devils."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Elysium]

Jaahlyn didn't take offense being called a quasi-mortal but Baphoreth probably would. In fact, she told that they already had. Oh well. They never liked angels anyway.
"And the devils are... really old former mortals? Or are they actually part of those immortal beings you mentioned?" They acted more like mortals from what she had seen so that was her guess. But it would explain why Grace had called them 'unkind'.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Elysium]

"That's them." Grace confirms. "They're the only true immortals in our world, and they don't let us forget it. We can no more remove them from power than we can turn off gravity. We know of six in total; three Ordinal Devilesses and three Cardinal Devils. T-"

"Wait, six?" Melody frowns. "I could swear there were sev-"

Quick as a wink, Grace's hand flies over Melody's mouth, cutting her off. "We don't talk about them." She warns quietly.

Melody's eyebrows flare up in surprise, before she gives a quiet little nod in compliance.

"Six Devils." Grace repeats, letting her hand drop. "The Ordinal Devilesses, between the three of them, embody excessive desire; for wealth, for people, for fulfillment. As long as those three things exist, they're not going away." She raises her other hands. "The Cardinal Devils, between the three of them, embody apathy to virtue; disregard for truth, disdain for compassion, and disinterest in courage. As long as those concepts exist, the Devils will be there as a counterpoint. And, yes, they do form that dichotomy on purpose; 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' is pretty much their motto. Run too carelessly from one and you'll end up in the arms of another."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Elysium]

"Right, guess that's explains why they acted so... human." Which made them more like yokai, or perhaps kagi, than fey to her. But she should probably stop thinking of them in her own terms. They were devils, nothing else.
Jaahlyn glances at Melody. "I guess you served the one that embodied excess for people?" Since she could relate.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Elysium]

"That's... complicated." Melody winces. "I got my summoning contract through Wrath, actually. And Sloth was the one we dealt with at the trial, and, yeah, I kind of saw Lust incidentally, since she was Manny's sponsor..."

"Tale old as time." Grace adds. "Literally as old as time. People are complicated. Like I said, running from one Devil usually drives you toward another. It's not uncommon that several of them will tag-team someone like that."

"...Wait, how do you know that?" Melody asks. "Manny and I are the only angels that used to be demons, right?"

"True. But you aren't the only angels that have ever seen a Devil do their work up close." Grace smiles and gives her a salute. "I've done seven tours down in the mortal realm. First two didn't make it, but the last five all have happy lives up here now."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Elysium]

"They sound like bullies who just happen to be bigger than everyone else." Really, the same thing could be said about most evil beings. They were just larger versions of the same assholes that terrorized you as a child.

She looks back to Melody as once she brought up Manny it reminded her of another thing they should probably bring up.
"Erm..." Her gaze move back to Grace. They had to know, right? "...speaking of Manny, what's her status now?"