PREP Highschool

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: PREP Highschool

Post by Keeper »

Later

“Oh um. Well. You want to hang out after school or something? Or during lunch?”
Super smooth, Kol. Totally not as blunt as possible for talking to a PRINCESS.

Tags:
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Later
"Sure!" Mary certainly doesn't complain about Kol's lack of decorum. "You'll have to tell me all about your adventure!" She glances at her watch. "I'm gonna be late for class! See you at lunch!" She runs off down the hall.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Later

Kol smiles as Mary runs off. See? It’s not so hard, pessimist brain.
HACK COUGH.
Yeah he definitely got whatever was going around in her dorm. That sucks. Oh, well.
The next two hours are likely spent in relative peace in class.
Aside from Mary and Kol’s steadily worsening cough, that is.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Later
Lunch rolls around with a lot of coughing, but fortunately no incident. Mary's already seated, and she waves to Kol as soon as she sees him. "Over here!" Her lunch, packed in a brown paper bag, contains none of the weird foods one might expect a demon to eat - just a peanut butter sandwich, an apple, and a bottle of water.
The cafeteria is always noisy, but near Mary it's especially so because a group of nerds one table over are working on their science fair project, some sort sleek white teleportation gun, talking in rapid, excited technobabble.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Later

Kol appears after a few minutes. He even went to his dorm to retrieve his spear so he could show Mary.
"How's it going?" he asks with a lopsided smile, sitting down next to Mary (and trying to suppress the cough that's been plaguing him all morning).
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Later
"I'm okay. That's a neat spear, how'd you get it?" Mary runs away to cough.

"Did you get the healing magic to work?"
"Yeah. Why did we want this again?"
"For search and rescue, you know? If someone's hurt, we can triage them quickly."
"Just put this sigil ring around the aperture.

"You must have had quite an adventure," Mary seems jealous. Her mum doesn't like it when she has adventures. They're too dangerous for the heir to the throne. "Excuse me... Aaaah-chooo!" To everyone's surprise, including her own, when Mary sneezes a jet of fire erupts from her nose and mouth into the air.
"Fire!"
At the next table over, someone takes that shout as an order, and a trigger is pulled. A bolt of blinding white light shoots out of the incomplete portal device and explodes into a flash that envelops Kol, Mary, and part of the table they were sitting at. When the light dies down, the two of them are gone.

"I didn't mean fire the gun!"
"Where did we send them?"
"Guys, the gun doesn't have a target set! We could have sent them anywhere! Or just vaporized them!"
"Oh crap."
Beans
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Beans »

[Later]

Cola looks up at the sneeze. And then Mary and Kol get voip'd to nowhere, or something. She glances around for any of the other kids she talked to earlier. "... Did you guys just see that? Because I'm pretty sure I saw that, and it's a bad thing."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Later]

"...Bishop G4. Checkmate."

Aikobaz scowls. "Saying it doesn't make it so, Elaine." She says, nudging her rook into place. "Check."

"...Oh."

"Yeah, oh." The empress gestures at the board. "Go on, then."

"Okay, I guess I'll just..."

"Ah-ah." Aikobaz taps her knight.

"Oh. Then, um, maybe..."

The empress wordlessly taps her pawn.

"...So that leaves..."

"Yep." Aikobaz watches her opponent make the only possible move and sighs. "And that is checkmate."

"...Best two out of three?"

"Sod off. That was pathetic."

The other girl stands and indignantly walks away as Aikobaz rearranges the pieces. She thought those upperclassmen were supposed to be smart. Ugh. Why does lunch have to be so boring?

bang!

Aikobaz watches as the gun goes off and disappears some of her classmates.

So boring.

Oh, wait, she knows that girl.

"Hello, Cola. Busy day?"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Later

Also sat at the table is Gemini. She's on the sensha-do team, but one of her crewmates has detention and the other doesn't need to eat and is taking advantage of lunch to study in the library. She's a fouteen-year-old girl with straight black hair, hazel eyes, olive skin and Mediterranean features, and she's in two places at once. She's one individual with two bodies. She's wearing the usual uniform with the addition of moonstone buttons and the astrological sign for Gemini sewn into the back of her jacket, and her left body has a pair of driving goggles pushed onto her forehead, where she's forgotten about them. The right body stands up and heads to the bathroom, whilst the left body makes excuses as she was accidentally coughed on and wishes to wash her face.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

"As much as I appreciate your volunteering for my demonstration, mistress Brignole, we should work on your... sleep condition outside of class in a safe place. Now we need to speak with Facilities about replacement chairs, and thank the gods master Archen only has a broken leg." Dr. Sifren, the Oneiromancy teacher, clad entirely in concealing red robes and a veil over their face, leads a rather sheepish looking black dragon through the school halls. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to," "And that is why no disciplinary action is being taken. I just need you to help explain the situation." "Yes, sir."
What follows is a lengthy process of the doctor putting in an order for new furnishings and Mary apologizing a lot. But when that's said and done, the facilities staff isn't done yet. "Miss, could you stay here a minute? It's about your room." "Uh, okay?" "After last night, your room is completely wrecked. We need to replace the bed you broke, put new plaster on the wall, and even reinforce one of the structural beams you bumped into in your sleep. Here's your new room assignment." A piece of paper is handed over. Mary stares at it. "The Kazul Building?" "That's right. Until you get those dreams of yours under control, you'll need to stay somewhere that can accommodate a half-ton lizard rolling over in her sleep."

And so it is that Mary, in dragon shape, stands awkwardly outside the Kazul Building, with all her things next to her, embarrassed about what happened and dreading what comes next. What if they don't like her because she's not a real dragon? What if there's something totally embarrassing like everyone being naked... Well they're dragons, that's normal. Except here where they have to wear these uniform collars and ties.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Dragon of Disappointment]

Word spreads fast.

Not only was Mary thrashing her dorm room, but she blew up in class?

Half the school knows about it at this point. There will be whispers and hushed conversations when she walks past. Giggling at her expense. Which is why when Khannie heard about what was going on she decided to be supportive of a fellow (former) magical girl. Which is why she was having Maridia keep an eye on the dragon dorm room for her. As soon as Mary showed up she's jogging over from nearby.

"Hey!"

An excellent start. She isn't out of breath, Khannie's in pretty good shape, but even then running across campus while NOT using magical girl magic is still a bit taxing.

"Hey! Are you doing okay? I heard about what happened in the dream class," Khannie says, her expression one of compassion and empathy. Getting turned into something you aren't is AWFUL as far as Khannie is concerned. She spent years as a dumb pokemon and it's been a huge relief to be a real human girl like she was always supposed to be. She can only imagine how Mary must be feeling right now being a giant lizard.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dragon of Disappointment
Mary looks glumly at Khannie. "Oh hi Khannie. I'm all right." As a dragon, she towers over her friend. She tries to not stare down at Khannie, but it doesn't really work."I'm tired of people laughing at me. I didn't try to break anything, it just happened by accident. But they don't care, I'm just that clutzy dragon girl."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"Are you sure? You don't sound alright," Khannie says, reaching out to...

Pat Mary on the nose?

Mary is ginormous so it is really awkward.

Normally she would give her a hug or something. But when the person you're trying to hug is several times your size she might be able to pull off... what? A leg or something?

"You can control it kind of, right?" she asks her friend. "Once you get it figured out then the other kids will probably find something else to laugh about."

A beat.

She glances toward the HUGE DORM with doors sized for dragons. Dragon teens are like... what? Horse sized? Bigger? Khannie isn't super familiar with dragons, honestly. "Do you want me to walk to your new room with you?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dragon of Disappointment
Mary is horse sized, and she's on the smaller end.
Her nose is patted. Her scales are warm, smooth, and dry. She's no swamp dragon, she belongs in a volcano or a similar environment.
"Normally, yes," Mary demonstrates by shrinking down to her humanoid self. The dragon collar-uniform expands into the full thing as she does so.
Ever since the dragon incident, even while humanoid, Mary has changed to show signs of her dragon-ness. Her eyes, feet, and tail are all the same as when she's a dragon, and she has a dragon's wings now. But Khannie's seen this already. "But when I sleep... Things are different." She expands back up into dragon shape again. "If you'd like. You don't have to."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Khannie knows that Sekhmet, and her daughter by extension, are connected to some sort of volcano world or something. So it makes sense that she's some kind of volcano dragon. That makes sense, right? She watches her friend shrink back down (she looks basically the same, except the demon tail is a dragon tail now. Not THAT big of a deal maybe?) Mary's definitely way more dragony than before. She's seen her friend over at GLoG since. After all, Khannie visits there pretty regularly and Mary LIVES there. And that's besides eating lunch together and having a few classes together.

But yeah this is...

Well.

She feels bad for her friend because this sort of thing is something she's gone through. Not exactly being a dragon but...

Close enough.

"Yeah, well, I like so I've gotta. I can't leave one of my friends facing stuff alone."

Khannie is definitely big on magical girl/friend solidarity.

"Hey, I've got an idea. I can whip up a shadow illusion dragon disguise if that'll make you feel a little better while we're moving you in? Or would that make it worse?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dragon of Disappointment
"You can do that?" Mary asks, curious. She's less thinking about whether or not it would make her feel better, and more on how it would work. Shadow illusions are like solid illusions, right? So if Khannie made a solid illusion of herself as a dragon, would it be like an illusory puppet with her hiding inside, or would she actually feel like she's a dragon? "Yeah, go ahead," Mary decides. She can ask Khannie about how it works later.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"Yeah, well, probably?" Khannie admits as she gives her hands a shake. "I've done disguises before but never anything WAY bigger than me. So this'll be something a bit new. Different but not THAT different. I know how Maridia's put together since she's my familiar so I can probably do something like that and just scale it way up."

And then?

She begins speaking, calling out to the darkness around her. Shadows cast from just about everything around Khannie begin bending toward her, flowing around her like ink in water and forming a growing cocoon that begins to rapidly deform until it takes the shape of a giant fairy dragon. The blackness begins quickly taking on texture and color until Khannie resembles a much bigger version of Maridia, though decked out in cool shades of indigo, lavender, and purple rather than orange yellow and green.

Khannie cranes her neck to peer back at her wings, giving them a few flaps.

"There! Easy, right? Do you want me to carry some of your stuff?"

Mary will probably notice that Khannie smells like a fairy dragon, too. The astringent scent of forests, the clean smell of dew, the soft fragrance of wildflowers.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dragon of Disappointment
Mary watches intently. When it finishes, she gawps. "That's incredible." As if she doesn't do a very similar but much more real thing on a regular basis. She pokes Khannie on the snout with a fore "This is an illusion? It feels real to me, what does it feel like to you? Where's the real you in all that?" She realizes Khannie asked her a question. "Uh, can you get this bag?" Mary passes one bag over with her tail. She has surprisingly little stuff. You'd expect a princess to have a lot of personal possessions.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Khannie gets her snoot booped!

She wrinkles her nose a bit in response. It's been a while since she's endured a snoot boop. Typically it was from her friends when she was still a pokemon.

"Real gets kinda fuzzy when you're talking about shadow illusion. They're REALLY cool. I still dunno why I'm such a prodigy with 'em when dad's magic is so good at different things," Khannie admits as Maridia lands on her head. She picks up the indicated bag and sets it on her back.

"Yeah I can feel stuff. It works kinda like my link with Maridia. I can sorta be her? Like we're sharing the same body. When I do that my real body can't feel anything. So I guess the real me is kind of..."

She looks down and pokes at herself.

"Somewhere? It probably doesn't matter much. You ready to go in?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dragon of Disappointment
"Um, sure. Let's go, I guess."
The door opens automatically in front of the two "dragons" revealing a long ramp down into the earth.
Down the two go into a large artificial cavern illuminated by enchanted lanterns. The main cavern is a common area made out to look somewhat like a natural setting, and side paths lead off to other smaller caverns with more specialized environments, which in turn are connected to (relatively) small private caves. A couple dragons glance up as they walk in. Mary looks at her paper with her room assignment. "It says section F. That's... This way?" She turns down a cavern corridor that leads deeper underground.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"This is kind like Underside, just with dragons instead of goblins," Khannie mutters as she moves along side Mary. "This is just supposed to be temporary, right?"

Until Mary figures out how to prevent herself from blowing up when she dreams about dragon stuff. Being stuck down here with... Well they're just people too, right? Just really big scaly people. It won't be that bad, just a little embarrassing, right?

As they pass through the common room there come a sultry sounding hiss followed by, "Shake those tails, ladies."

Followed by laughter and a pair of teenaged boys (who are also dragons) giving each other a wing based high five.

Khannie shoots them a glare, but doesn't say anything. Getting cat called by magical lizards definitely wasn't on her to do list today.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dragon of Disappointment
"Just until the whole... Problem dies down." The pair of "dragons" are interrupted by some rather rude teens. Mary shoots them a glare, hellfire sparking from her scales as she does so, causing her to glow like red-hot coals. She doesn't say anything, but it's easy to tell she's furious. She storms off down the passage, potentially leaving Khannie in the dust."If I wanted someone to call me cute, I'd go find Kol. He's a gentleman about it," Mary comments once they're out of sight. Those two made her feel skeevy.
If Khannie knows much about succubi, she would probably be aware that Mary has a lot more of that in her future.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

The problem.

Turning into a big dragon and wrecking your dorm room is definitely a problem.

It's just about control, right? If it only happens when Mary dreams about dragon stuff couldn't she... just use her dream magic to NOT dream about dragons? Maybe? Khannie isn't exactly any sort of expert on dreams. Or dragons. That's in spite of how many dragons she's got in her life already.

"You'll figure it out," Khannie assures her friend, giving her a shoulder nudge. "You're smart."

As far as the rudeness goes, Khannie just picks up her pace to keep up with Mary. She still has RULES about not decking people. And that RAGE burning in her briefly makes her vision swim. But she applies those breathing exercises she learned from the foxes. Just in and out. Nice and easy. Like the anger flow out with the breath.

She's fine.

Everything is fine.

Those boys are just jerks.

Khannie almost catch that follow-up comment.

"Wait, Kol?" she pipes up. "He was the kid I bumped into at the line, wasn't he? I think fate was trying to get us to hook up. Or plot. Or whatever. Getting stuck in romantic plots at a protagonist school is probably a bad idea."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Dragon of Disappointment

A door slides open nearby and a stocky purple dragon walks out. Rumors have already been swirling about Kol of Kunani. Two adventures in a week? Becoming a dragon instead of just getting sick? Being safely sent to a sweet flying mountain with a girl instead of being turned into paste by an experimental teleport ray? All incredibly unlikely series events. Kol is lucky.
The fact that his horns are somewhat reminiscent of a horseshoe and his tail is definitely reminiscent of a four-leafed clover does not help dissuade this rumor. He's already caught his peers trying to sneakily rub it for luck.
He almost immediately bumps into Khannie again (if she doesn't deftly move out of the way).
"Oh! I'm sorry. Oh hi Mary! Who's your friend?"
Her fancy faerie-ish friend? She has very pretty scales.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dragon of Disappointment
Mary, for what it's worth, starts at the door opening and stumbles forward, possibly crashing into Kol and making this situation even more of a mess. "Oh hi Kol," she manages. "This is Khannie, she's just in disguise. She's helping me get moved in." Any glumness and nervousness Mary was feeling seems to have evaporated. She genuinely likes being around Kol, and not only because he thinks she's cute, but he's also the only person she knows of who's been through what she did.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Now, Khannie has been dealing with changes of late.

Not turning into a dragon. Regular human adolescent changes. And among the emotional turmoil and hormones and body changes she's been noticing boys. Like how they're cute. And struggling with how to make sense of those feelings. Just standard girl gradually becoming a woman problems. Thus far it hasn't been anything major. Not really crushes or anything. Just oh hey he's cute. That sort of thing.

Which is why what follows blindsides her as much as it does.

First?

She collides with Kol for the second time since joining the school.

And she feels that. Feels her nose just plow into him. The scrape of scales against scales. The scent of being right on top of him. And that mingled with Mary's smell when they blunder into a three dragon pile-up.

"Oow, heck! Oh beans I'm sorry I didn't see..."

Khannie blinks, her reptilian pupils dilating.

Ooooh beans he's cute. He's SUPER cute and she just smacked into him like a clutz. Like a great big dumb lizardy clutz. W-wait what? Why does she feel so flushed all of a sudden? This shouldn't be embarrassing her so much but it is. Because this disguise is really fancy. Tapped into Maridia as she is Khannie has all those dragony thoughts and reactions and emotions to go along with the dragony disguise. She is, for all practical purposes, a super-sized faerie dragon right now.

"Uh..."

It takes her a second to process what Mary just said. Just a disguise? W-what? No no what if he thinks she's fake or something? No, stop it, that's dumb he used to be human like a couple weeks ago he probably won't care.

"Disguise? Haha! No more disguised than you guys are."

You're totally disguised what are you talking about?

"Just, you know, walking my dragon gal pal to the dragon dorms. Typical dragon stuff."

What are you doing!?

"Funny bumping into you again, RIGHT!?"

Oh my Archeuuuuus why!?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Dragon of Disappoint

Kol is bumped back onto his haunches. As he gets up he is clearly bigger than either girl-dragon. Don't look at those big dragony muscles, Khannie!
"Oh my gosh Khannie? That's a disguise? You look so great!" Khannie will have to endure Kol craning his neck to examine her around.
"You picked a great color. Is that part of your Sorcery? They told me as a dragon I should be taking Sorcery lessons since dragon magic. I um. Might need a tutor. I can pay you in fudge. I think. I just got a box that says FUDGY on it in the mail."
He blinks.
"Wait, you're moving in, Mary? But you're only a dragon like, a third of the time."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dragon of Disappointment
Mary looks at Khannie suspiciously. She's acting strange. Love-struck even. And Mary is jealous. She thought she and Kol had something special! And here's miss illusory dragon trying to take it away from her! "I was lonely in the other dorm," she lies, "No one there really understands what happened to me... To us. And I kept finding myself turning back like this, because, in a way, it just feels right." The last bit is mostly true.
However, Mary is not much of a succubus, and her delivery is less than perfect. She let her jealousy slip in that monologue, through angry glances at Khannie, most likely.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dragon of Disappoint]

Great!

Oh heck yeah he thinks she looks great! That's good right WHY is this such a big deal to her all of a sudden?

C'mon Khannie settle down a bit. Be cool you can be cool, right? Deep breaths. Remember the breathing exercises the foxes taught you.

"Thanks! I just picked colors I liked. It's like how Maridia is colored just scaled way up and with different... colors," Khannie admits as the little fairy dragon lands on her head again.

"Yeeesss agree to the tutoring I like the fudge plan fudge is good!" her familiar hisses in her ear.

"Yeah it's sorcery. I'm pretty amazing at it, actually. This body is, like, four different illusions all layered on top of each other."

Okay but WHY are dragony thoughts and dragony instincts coming through with it? Why does she FEEL so dragony? That's not just from Maridia, Maridia doesn't think Kol is cute so what's going on?

"Sorcery's kinda hard to teach since it's, like, influence and presence instead of just learning magic formula like wizardry. I... uhh..." she trails off a bit when she catches Mary's jealous glare. What the heck is HER problem all of a sudden? She's just talking with Kol since they smacked into each other and he wanted to talk to HER. She's about to open her mouth and retort that she's pretty sure Mary is just here because she dragoned out and smashed her bed when she notices...

Something.

Subtle.

This very distinctive feeling like her teeth itch.

She snaps her mouth shut and begins looking around suspiciously.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Dragon of Disappointment

”Huh. Really? All the dragons have been pretty nice to me. Even if they think my name should be longer and have more x’s in it. The human kids keep trying to rub my tail for luck.”
He blinks. The girls are being super weird. Why are they suddenly glaring at each other? Maybe girls are just like that.
”Uh. Are you two okay?”