PREP Highschool

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Artemis
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: PREP Highschool

Post by Artemis »

[Hunting Class]

Landon snorts a huff and goes back to his original plan of looking for mouse holes. Were he able to speak, he'd explain he wasn't a dog, but a wolf. There was quite the difference.

Tags:
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Cafeteria

"Oh yeah, right." Darko chokes back the urge to make a big deal about Asami not knowing how to write, even though it's a little incomprehensible to him. But that's probably because he's one of those weirdos who writes in a diary every night before bed.

"Ehh, well..." He doesn't want to suggest this for a few reasons, but in the end his urge to help outweighs his reluctance. "You could dictate to me, and I could write it down for you?" No, don't say yes.

"I could even deliver it, if you decide you want her to read it but you're too nervous to do it in person." Whyyyy are you suggesting these things? Stop it!

Creepy Doll Tree

As the monkey looks at Darko, Darko looks at the monkey. It's like an old western standoff, except without cowboys, and on a high school campus, and without guns or western music and also there's a monkey.

So really nothing like an old western standoff at all.

Darko has read about how dangerous monkeys can be. They're strong, and they bite, so his first instinct is to just give up the tardiguard. But it's Bismuth's, and there's no way he's going to act that cowardly in front of her. No, he has to prove he's a cool adventurer who is definitely not intimidated by a random monkey.

"Hey! Give it back," he snaps, taking a step forward. Maybe it's intelligent! Maybe it'll listen to reason. Maybe the world is made of pudding. Darko reaches into his bag and pulls out his magician's cane. It's a bit gaudy, but its a solid stick, and he brandishes it.

Menacingly.
horses can attack and eat me
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Creepy Doll Tree]

See you would think it's nothing like an old western standoff, but when you hear that bard over there practicing his tense dramatic music and then a tumbleweed rolls past all of a sudden the comparison is really apt.

The monkey squints menacingly back at Darko and bears its teeth when he pulls out the rod. A solid stick is pretty good, but how does it compare to monkey teeth.

For several seconds the tension in the air steadily grows, a cold wind blowing across the compass and rustling the tall grass. Bismuth holds her coat down, watching with her breath held in anticipation.

What's going to happen?

The monkey hurls the potato directly at Darko's face and then runs away into the tall grass.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Creepy Doll Tree

Darko is caught off guard by the potato! But his shadow amulet tanks the blow, repositioning him a little ways away and saving him from getting bruised. That's helpful!

What the hell was a monkey doing here anyway? Well, it's PREP. Could be any number of reasons. But at least it's gone now- monkey teeth are serious business.

Stooping to grab the potato, Darko holds it aloft triumphantly. "Hey, I found it!" he calls out to Bismuth, backing out of the tall grass. Hopefully she didn't also get monkey ambushed.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Cafeteria]

Asami raises an eyebrow at Darko. "Are you sure you wanna do that? That seems like Vallarm-senpai work," she says dismissively, getting back up and out from under the table.

"At any rate, no need to worry about it today. You got your thing with Bismuth, remember?"
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Creepy Doll Tree]

The shadow amulet IS really helpful. But it was designed to draw from the user's natural magic, too. Probably Darko has so much that isn't a big deal, right?

Right.

Bismuth perks up a little when the magic happens and the monkey scampers off into the grass. Hopefully not to go find reinforcements. One monkey is bad. A whole troop of monkeys is way worse.

"Oh great you got it!" Bismuth replies, reaching out a tentacle to accept the potato. "I have a few more of the empty potions so we can try again if you want? See if your magic conjures up a different secondary effect this time?"

She thinks it's a great plan, but this is largely up to Darko. Bismuth doesn't want to take things too quickly after all.
Last edited by Rebonack on Feb 21, 2024 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Cafeteria

"I mean, it's not about if I would want to. I'm offering it on the off chance it helps you, which is something I want to do." Darko rolls off the bench and gets to his feet. "But yeah, gotta be ready to see Bismuth. Put on a nice shirt and stuff." Is that what you do to impress someone? It sounds right, at least.

"But you let me know. None of this has a time limit on it." Even though it sure feels like that sometimes.

Creepy Doll Tree

Darko is slowly amassing ways to drain his magic, and the more the better, since it's very hard to empty an infinite well. Some might say impossible, but that's quitter talk.

Handing over the potato to Bismuth, he nods eagerly. "Yeah, I'll definitely try again. This is actually kind of fun!" Which is sort of a new experience when it comes to anything relating to his magic. Bismuth's positive attitude probably has something to do with it.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Creepy Doll Tree]

Juiblex is general is well served by their very positive attitude. They're friendly and gregarious and pretty much always happy! Some people find the exuberance exhausting but Bismuth is quite happy that Darko doesn't seem to mind.

"Great! Let's try again," Bismuth says, offering Darko another potion while she sees to getting the tardiguard hydrated and ready to endure some more alchemical testing. The tardiguard looks none the worse for wear despite getting blasted and thrown at Darko's face. Without a care in the world, the creature immediately returns to nosing around on the ground in search of tasty plants to eat with its weird extendable mouth.

If ever there were an utterly harmless creature, it would be this one.

It's like a big armored teddy bear.

So!

Once everything is ready Bismuth will bounce back over to Darko and give a firm nod. "Alright! Same as before! Let's see what happens."

Also? She pulls out one of her notebooks! It's a pretty weird notebook, given that its pages are made out of thin sheets of verdigris covered copper of all things. Letters have been etched through the tarnish, leaving them bright and shiny. Bismuth doesn't even LOOK at the book, instead spreading one of her manipulators wide and running it over the page, tasting and feeling the letters as she finds where she left off on her last entry.

She's going to take notes!

For science!
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Creepy Doll Tree

Well, Darko is feeling a little less bad about experimenting on the tardiguard now that he's witnessed first hand how resilient it is. What a pleasant existence it must lead. It sure doesn't have guilt or dread. Probably isn't even depressed.

Darko envies the tardiguard.

But that won't stop him from preparing and tossing three more vials; although he does take a moment to appreciate Bismuth's notebook. That's cool! He'd have never thought up something that clever. Looks way cooler than a regular book too.

But then wild magic happens!

When the first vial impacts, it releases a spray of gemstones into the air, which come clattering down around the tardigard. They appear to be a mix of agate, jade, and yes, some chunks of bismuth.

The second vial screams in a human voice as it's launched, seeing almost to form words before it shatters. That's a bit unsettling, and Darko feels a little bad about it. But it's just an auditory illusion. Right?

The final vial will strike with a peal of thunder, and a sudden torrential downpour erupts over the field, likely drenching anyone in the vicinity, Darko included. The rain is over in about thirty seconds, and this wouldn't be a huge issue- except that it's quite cold out.

"O-okay, good test," he says, starting to shiver as the wind plucks at his sodden clothes, "But m-maybe we should go inside now."
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Cafeteria]

Darko's words earn a pleasant smile from Asami, who pulls him into a "make you late for the next class" hug. "Thank you," she says genuinely, "I don't know where I'd be without you."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Creepy Doll Tree]

And while all these things are happening Bismuth is dutifully taking notes! She pretty sure that first one tossed rocks everywhere, based on the sound and smell. But it'll take confirmation from Darko for her to realize they're semi-precious stones!

She totally grabs a few. She's still a dragon after all.

The wail and murmuring is pretty creepy. And the rain is really wet! Bismuth's magical coat does a great job wicking the water away and dispersing it away from her, keeping her cozy and dry.

Unlike the now soggy Darko.

Poor guy looks miserable. Bismuth shrugs her coat off and wraps it around Darko, protests or no. It'll begin drying him off, but it'll take some time to work its magic. "Here, you can wear my coat until you're dry. No refusing! OH! Right, hey, you were going to show me the theater!"

Revived by the rain, the tardiguard grazes in utter content and peace.
Last edited by Rebonack on Feb 22, 2024 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

bc56 wrote: Feb 08, 2024 12:07 pm Cheer Practice
Mary notices the angel counting the number of runners, but she can't do anything to hide the fact that Mat and Dandelion are gone, especially not while she's being watched herself.
Earl of Purple wrote: Feb 09, 2024 2:59 pm Cheer Practice

"For Mary, prettier is bustier. Not my cup of tea, frankly. I don't care how big someone is if they can look after themselves somehow." Mat says as she opens her locker and then her lunch, taking the half-cherry off the top of her bakewell tart and handing it to Dandelion. The rest of the cake is put back in her lunchbox, which is returned to her locker. "Right, let's get back to it."

Ecbatana

"Well... Yeah, I guess? That's one way of looking at it."
"Could also be that you're giving him enough rope to tie a noose, since you maybe want him dead but he's too powerful to execute directly. But the regency's still a reward, and there's the hope that if the regent's good enough he'll die before you want to replace him." Several of the servants nod to confirm that the Chamberlain's not interested in girls, and that the Treasurer is a sweet old lady. She's also senile, but that's not something they have words for exactly so they're hoping Aikobaz can put the dots together.
[Cheer Practice]

"Why would I want to get fatter, though?" The pixie demands between bites of cherry. Dandelion makes no effort to hide the bribery as they return to the field; conveniently, arriving in time to blend in with the girls running laps again.

Not ten seconds after they return, a shrill whistle pierces the air. "All right! Everyone get over here, we're closing out for the day!"

At the demon twin's command, the other cheerleaders start congregating back around them. As the team reassembles, Pippi and Poppi start going around, the former limping a little on her evidently-sore leg, stopping next to each of the members and giving them some muttered feedback of some form, most of it inaudible.
► Mary
► Mat
[Ecbatana]

Now, see, this is why you always at least listen to the servants. Aiko doubts any of the people in the room with her are serious political theorists, but some of them will have had up-close views of the goings-on of the court for the past several decades, and at the very least can present ideas she wouldn't have otherwise considered.

"...Well. You ladies have certainly given me a lot to look forward to." She gives them a small smile, running her hands down the sides of the corset, picking at the edges as though that would help relieve the tension around her waist. "...Is there any chance of meeting any of them in advance? Trying to take them all at once might be, ah, a but much..."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Cheer Practice
"Funny. Teammates support each other. If you want my support, cut the hazing. Because I'm not gonna leave," Mary responds defiantly. Really it seems unwise to do anything that would foster discontent among the ranks; especially when the "ranks" consist of kids with a myriad of dangerous powers.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Cafeteria

Darko returns both the smile and the hug, a little overwhelmed. "Hey, any time, okay? And same. Well, actually, without you I'd probably still be spending all my time in the Theatre, and... yeah, this is better."

He pats her shoulder, and when the hug is eventually over he picks up his bag. "I'll let you know how it goes, 'kay?"

Creepy Doll Tree

Darko does want to protest the coat, but it's very warm, and Bismuth did say no refusing. "Well... okay, thanks. This is nice," he says, a little color rising to his cheeks despite the chill.

But now it's Theatre time!

"Yeah, we can go there! You'll like it." He slowly turns around, pointing a finger and moving it slowly through the air... there! "Okay, it's in this direction. Shouldn't be too long of a walk." He sets off, after giving the tardiguard a friendly wave that it'll almost certainly not notice.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Creepy Doll Tree]

The tradiguard lacks eyes (why would it need them?) and thus it utterly fails to notice Darko's farewell. But that's fine. The creature exudes an aura of chill.

Not like...

Freezing things.

Bismuth can do that though she typically suppresses it because draining the heat from her surroundings usually makes people uncomfortable. She IS doing it now, though. Which is making the already cold day even COLDER, causing some pockets of slushy snow nearby to freeze into ice. The white slime dragon is trying to keep warm and this is her best bet to do it. Darko probably won't notice unless he's quite observant since he's wearing Bismuth's fancy coat, though. It'll insulate him from Bismuth's supernatural chill.

Incidentally.

Turning her heat absorption on ALSO makes her glow more. Soft, cold white light with a hint of prismatic shimmer to it.

"Great! Let's get going before I freeze solid," she jokes, reaching out to wrap one of her tentacles around Darko's arm and follow him to the Theater. Not because this is a date or anything. The coat is just warm and a little bit of extra warmth will help!
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Hunting Class

"You still haven't, that's a wolf. And you ask if you can film him, as a wolf. And you're also weren't filming the wolf, you started filming when he was... uh, Dunmer I think. It's not your first meeting with a dog you're filming, it's Landon's potentially traumatic transformation into a wolf." Agate hasn't had a great deal of experience with elves, and there's a lot of similarities between the Dunmer of Morrowind and the Drow of the Underdark. Although she does know wolves! Because she's met dogs before and wolves are bigger.

Cheer Practice

"Because Mary thinks that's what pretty is. You'd not be changing to meet your ideas of what's pretty, since you're not the one controlling the transformation. You'd fit Mary's ideas of what's pretty, and for her that's chest-balloons. If you changed to meet my idea of pretty, you'd lose that plucked chicken look for a glossy coat of fur." Mat's idea of pretty does not cover most of her fellow students. This is a source of frustration to her.

"Sorry Poppi. It was a bit easy, so I went to find a better challenge." Mat does not sound sorry, ears twitching forward as she's nearly glaring. As someone who applied to join because last term she was kicked out of the basketball team for brawling, she's pretty sure her stamina shouldn't be questioned so much as her flexibility or agility.

Ecbatana

"The high priest lives in the palace, over by the shrine. The Earl Chamberlain, too, on the top floor near the north overlook. The Royal Treasurer lives in the Treasury building, not the Palace. Bit harder to visit, and there's no way of knowing who's going to attend anyway. The Commander of the Interior lives in the Royal Barracks, which are on the edge of the palace compound, whilst the Loremasters live in the university. They and the Commander of the Exterior aren't visitable without some preparation. But the High Priest, Chamberlain and Interior Commander are here, so you could visit them. The Earl Chamberlain's probably least likely to be busy, the High Priest is closest, the commander is furthest." They'll help Aikobaz with other clothing, so she's not just in a corset.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Hunting Class]

This side of the building seems utterly devoid of mouse holes, as upon reaching the corner one wouldn't find a single one.

Asami looks annoyed and impatient and Agate keeps talking, finally replying, "Agate, how does your soul gem look?"

The cat nervously smiles, looking onward as Landon diligantly searches ahead. "Nyou guys really don't have to do this, nya..."
Artemis

Post by Artemis »

[Hunting Class]

Landon's ears twitch, as he listens to the conversation between Asami and Agate. He really appreciates Agate's input and hopes Asami listens, but doubts it. He'll have to thank Agate once he has a working voicebox again.

While the girls talk, he'll keep searching for mouse holes. It'll keep him busy, at least, and delay having to turn back in front of Asami.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Hunting Class

"My soul gem is fine. Stop trying to change the subject. He asked you not to look when he transformed, and you recorded him instead." Agate glances at her pocket and doesn't get the gemstone out, so there's no proof it's fine.

[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Hunting Class]

Landon's search does in fact bring him to another mouse hole, at the opposite side of the building where the first was discovered! The cat runs towards it in excitement. "Ha! I've figured you out now, little thief! ...Hold on a second while I stick my arm in to feel around." Conspiciously, an anvil hung on the roof of the building right above where the mouse hole was found.

Asami shakes her head at Agate. "I wasn't trying to change the subject. I just wanted to make sure in case I want to do something stupid." As Agate looks at her pocket, Asami pulls out a cup of glitter from her backpack's pockets and tosses it at Agate's chest, getting all over her clothes.

Asami smiles with satisfaction for a second before running away at a mundane speed, giggling all the while. Of course, the uneven terrain slowed her down, so its not like she couldn't be caught.
Artemis

Post by Artemis »

Landon barks a warning and tries to shoulder the cat away from the hole. Hopefully before the anvil falls.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Hunting Class

Agate yelps as she's covered in glitter, and scowls at Asami as she runs off. She'll stay put and start to brush it off her clothes, not paying attention to the anvil, the cat, or Landon. "I'll get you back, Asami! Count on it."

THE FUTURE:
► SHOW SPOILER

[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Hunting Class]

Asami has quite a few mixed feelings at the prospect of Agate getting back at her. Predominantly, though, Asami was plagued by apprehension, driving her to pick up her pace slightly and wave goodbye with the back of her hand. "Okay!" she shouts back.

As for the anvil, with the cat being nudged to move out of the way, it never falls. "Nya-huh? What's that anvil doing up there?" the cat asks in confusion, "We should get it down before it falls on someone..."
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[A New Student Approaches!]

For the most part, PREP would be spared the unexpected chaos of the city at large, having its own brand of expected chaos. Stray laser beams and portals to terrifying abysses opening up due to the antics of the various classes and clubs.

It would come as a surprise, then, that a sphere of light would materialize right in the middle of the hallway, completely unrelated to any school activities. At its center laid a boy, seemingly a pre-teen, with short brown hair. He wore a blue robe and a red cape. To his side were an ornate heater shield and sword with an eye-catching cross guard. His eyes were closed and he didn't stir yet, but he was breathing.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

A New Student Approaches!

Part of Octavia's duties in the mortal realm, aside from simply living her life as a kid, is to record her surroundings and take notes- especially of anything mysterious or out of place. Of course, it's hard to tell what's out of place when you have little context going in and everyone is uniquely bizarre and mysterious in their own way.

Still, as she's heading down the wall to her Living With Humans class, the young angel can't help but be distracted by the sudden manifestation of a child. That's strange! And not too unlike the way she showed up here not so long ago, teleporting in with a burst of light. Definitely worth checking out- maybe he's also on a mission.

If he's even conscious. Octavia's head shift into a defibrillator, just in case. She quickly steps up to the light sphere, and watches it for a moment before reaching out to try to poke the boy. Her fingers are hard and bony.

-greetings! please awaken from your slumber and state your designation and intentions- she says politely. And if that doesn't work she'll just say the same thing again but louder.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

The kid frowns, placing a hand on his forehead. Slowly, he begins to open his eyes, before they go wide in surprise at the sight of Octavia. In response, he quickly grabs his sword and shield and jumps up away from her, pointing the sword at her defensively. "Gah, a monster!?" he shouts, "You have no idea who you're messing with. Paralyse!" He holds his shield hand forth towards Octavia, several sparks flying towards her. On contact, they would cause the struck area to temporarily lock up completely, hindering her movement and offensive capabilities.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Of all the responses Octavia was expecting, this wasn't one of them. A monster? She's fought plenty of monsters, and none of them looked remotely like her.

So affronted is she at the accusation that she doesn't even try to dodge, the sparks hitting her and freezing her in place. Of course, it's only her physical body that's frozen. The halo piloting it is unhindered, and it swiftly changes shape to a mirror, reflecting the kid's face.

-i'm not a monster! i'm just a kid, like you. there's no danger here- Surely if she just explains things calmly and rationally, then he'll calm down and listen to reason. -there's lot of monsters in this world, but none at this school. you know you're at a school, right?-
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

bc56 wrote: Feb 22, 2024 11:13 am Cheer Practice
"Funny. Teammates support each other. If you want my support, cut the hazing. Because I'm not gonna leave," Mary responds defiantly. Really it seems unwise to do anything that would foster discontent among the ranks; especially when the "ranks" consist of kids with a myriad of dangerous powers.
Earl of Purple wrote: Feb 24, 2024 4:08 pm Cheer Practice

"Because Mary thinks that's what pretty is. You'd not be changing to meet your ideas of what's pretty, since you're not the one controlling the transformation. You'd fit Mary's ideas of what's pretty, and for her that's chest-balloons. If you changed to meet my idea of pretty, you'd lose that plucked chicken look for a glossy coat of fur." Mat's idea of pretty does not cover most of her fellow students. This is a source of frustration to her.

"Sorry Poppi. It was a bit easy, so I went to find a better challenge." Mat does not sound sorry, ears twitching forward as she's nearly glaring. As someone who applied to join because last term she was kicked out of the basketball team for brawling, she's pretty sure her stamina shouldn't be questioned so much as her flexibility or agility.

Ecbatana

"The high priest lives in the palace, over by the shrine. The Earl Chamberlain, too, on the top floor near the north overlook. The Royal Treasurer lives in the Treasury building, not the Palace. Bit harder to visit, and there's no way of knowing who's going to attend anyway. The Commander of the Interior lives in the Royal Barracks, which are on the edge of the palace compound, whilst the Loremasters live in the university. They and the Commander of the Exterior aren't visitable without some preparation. But the High Priest, Chamberlain and Interior Commander are here, so you could visit them. The Earl Chamberlain's probably least likely to be busy, the High Priest is closest, the commander is furthest." They'll help Aikobaz with other clothing, so she's not just in a corset.
[Cheer Practice]

The demon twin's eyes narrow at Mary, and it looks like she wants to say something else, likely a very loud and rude something else, before being cut off by her sister's hand on her shoulder.

"Poppi, leave it. She's not worth the headache." Pippi leans in and mutters to her sister. "We know she"s going to be a problem. That's all we needed to find out."

Poppi gives a reluctant sigh and moves on to the next cheerleader in line, giving Mary a dismissive wave that includes a not-entirely-subtle rude gesture.

-

"That does sound pretty." Dandelion notes, running her hands along her forearms as she tries to picture what she would look like with a glossy fur coat. "...Ooh~" She chortles, apparently somewhat partial to the image.

Pippi, meanwhile, gives Mat a not quite sincere smile. "Is that it? Well, we'll be sure to keep you busy going forward, then. Nobody comes to these things to be bored, right?" She grins, flashing a set of too-perfect pearly teeth. "We start in on vertical jumps next week. Looking forward to see what you can do on those, squirrel girl."

And with that, she proceeds up the line, her demonic twin in tow.

[Ecbatana]

"We'll stop by the h-gh! ...High priest's, then." Aiko wheezes as her dress is pulled tightly into place around her corset. "I think I've got a few questions about the local religion I need answered, anyway."

Which is... probably less true than it sounds, but more true than she thinks. It would be better if she had a credible source for this information rather than seeming to just know it from her communion with Ecbatana.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

"A... School?" the boy reiterates skeptically, "Yeah right. If it is a school, why'd you drag me here to the middle of a hall instead of to a warm bed."

His sword hand doesn't wave, but he doesn't make an attack either. A quick glance at the surrounding students doesn't alleve his suspicions, a non-insignificant portion being monstrous in appearence, allowing for the possibility of the remaining non-monstrous students being merely in disguise.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

-i didn't drag you here. you just appeared in a flash of light. which isn't all that uncommon!- says Octavia reassuringly. After a moment's hesitation, she decides to leave her paralyzed body.

The mirror that is her head changes to be a series of interlocking rings, each dotted with red eyes and made of light. This strange wheel floats up, leaving her body to stand motionless as she floats through the air.

-what's the last thing you remember before coming here?- she asks curiously. If she can get him talking, then he'll eventually see that everything is okay.