PREP Highschool

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

PREP Highschool

Post by Rebonack »

Prodigiously Remarkable Education for Protagonists.

It's an acronym.

Because of course it's an acronym.

This isn't simply a school for the magically inclined; it's nothing so narrow in its focus. It is, rather, a school to prepare up and coming protagonists for the adult world. Fantastical abilities alone aren't the emphasis here, but rather fantastical potential. Precocious skills in magic, technology, psionics, sports, competitive battle tops, children's card games, driving tanks, doing sick flips on skateboards, ninja skills, improbably amazing tennis abilities, attracting supernatural sidekicks, seeing ghosts, being preternaturally lucky, being lost royalty, or just about anything else that might be the mark of a protagonist could qualify someone to attend PREP Highschool.

There is focus on academics, of course. Typical classes for a typical highschool; literature, history, mathmatics, physical education, civics, shop, home economics, and the like. But it also provides classes for protagonists specifically. Managing one's cast of supporting characters, ways to deal with antagonists, common pitfalls to avoid, and of course how to remain an interesting and relevant protagonist.

The school itself is a sprawling, verdant campus in the heart of Inside, necessary for the perfusion of clubs such an institution must maintain. Ninja obstacle courses and competitive pokemon battling arenas aren't small, after all. Buildings are largely divided up broad subject and boast a sleek, modern design that contrasts pleasantly with the landscaping. The gym and athletic fields, the physical, social, and life sciences buildings, the arcanium, the cafeteria, the administrative building. Literature, theater, band, counts forms of arts. And many, many others. Students at PREP Highschool will be well served in kickstarting their jump into the the adult world.

A Riftline station stands near the open gates of the campus, providing ease of access to students who don't fly in on brooms or Akira slide all the way across town.

With September looming a new academic season is beginning and all the new and returning students are just beginning to arrive.

Who knows what adventures await in PREP Highschool?

Tags:
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: PREP Highschool

Post by bc56 »

"You're going to do great!" A portal opens and two demons step out. The first looks like a very modestly dressed succubus, with six horns and a ball of fire floating above her head. The second is much smaller, maybe about 13 or 14, with only two horns, and neither wings nor flames. They are obviously mother and daughter. "You did well in your, uh, summer classes, and, uh, this place is supposed to be good at helping people in, uh, unusual circumstances. Just, uh, go have fun!" There's a hug. "Bye Mum!" "See you tonight! I'm so proud of you!" The portal closes, leaving the young demon princess standing alone in front of the impressive edifice of the school's main building.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

No portals herald the arrival of another student, merely the Riftline train coming to a stop and allowing a gaggle of students to disembark. Among them? None other than Khannie!

The rather regular looking human girl has a few stand-out features. Like that fancy magic cloak she's wearing that her dad made for her! And the fairy dragon riding on her shoulder. Otherwise her outfit really isn't terribly unusual. Especially when compared to the obvious ninjas and wizards and whatever that goofy outfit with too big shoes and zippers everywhere is supposed to be.

Khannie takes a deep breath and begins her walk toward the gates-!

Thankfully she's got quick reflexes, because she narrowly avoid a boy carrying a large stack of papers running into her. She's about to chide him to watch where he's going when he crashes into a different girl also carrying a bunch of papers, which all go scattering everywhere. This, of course, leads to an embarrassed and fated meeting which includes awkwardly touching each others hands when reaching for the same book.

Khannie narrows her eyes at the scene.

Now that she's looking for it, she can't help but notice that it seems like a whole bunch of students are literally running into each other.

"These kids are really clumsy," Maridia helpfully points out.

"Yeah, no kidding,"
Khannie mutters as she deftly sidesteps a student ninja-running down the path. Okay! So! What's first? Looks like kids are lining up at the administration building? Probably scheduling and stuff. It's there that she can't help but spot a red tiefling she knows quite well from Glog! "Oh! Hey Mary!"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

"Hi Khannie!" Mary looks nervous. It's hardly a surprise - this is the first time she's been to a real school. And it's intimidating. "We should... Get in line?" They need class schedules, locker assignments, and all sorts of administrative things.
"Use Discharge, Luxio!"
A bolt of lightning flies narrowly over Mary's head from where some older students are playing with their pets (she hopes they're playing, that looks violent). She ducks and cowers. "We should, uh, go now." Before they get hurt or wind up in a meet-cute.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

whonk!

"Oh! S-sorry, miss, let me help you with those..."

"Out of my way, you clumsy simpleton!" The green-skinned schoolgirl snaps, picking up her grimoire and continuing on her way, mumbling darkly to herself. What is it with the boys at this school, anyway? Do none of them watch where they're going? Surely it's common sense to pay attention to what's right in front of them. What's the alternative, running into every inconvenient street lamp, wall and person in their path?

whomp!

Aikobaz groans and holds her nose, where this latest impact had driven it straight into the spine of her book. "Watch it!" She snaps at the offending student, not even bothering to look at her. Ugh. Can't they see she's reading here?

The ex-empress rolls her eyes and returns her attention to her book, now standing in line behind a couple of other girls close to her age. Maybe if she's not moving, nobody will bother her.

Now...

She frowns and examines the incantation her finger is resting on. "...Leviohsah? Leviohsah? Lev... Leviohsah?"

A pronunciation guide would be helpful.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Whoop!

That's definitely a lightning bolt.

And close enough to leave Khannie's hair standing on end, too. What are those doofs doing having a pokemon fight out in the middle of the grass? Don't they know those are dangerous?

"You two! Stop that battle at once. Pokemon battles are only allowed in designated areas!" a campus monitor chides, waggling a finger at the pair of trainers.

"But he made eye contact with me!" the owner of the hitmonlee that narrowly avoided the electrical blast complains.

This is followed by some pretty potent glaring and pointing. Sulking, the pair of young trainers trudge away. One of them mutters to himself about how shorts are comfy and great.

"I think we'll be okay," Khannie retorts, standing up a little taller and doing her best to look imposing. "We can just wait in line a little bit. See? The teachers will take care of things. We'll be fine."

Oh hey, someone else just showed up behind them! And they're reading from a magic book, it sounds like?

Khannie, in spite of probably knowing better, decides to be nosy. "Hey, are you practicing verbal spell components?"

Not one she's heard before, that's for sure. Khannie never really got into Harry Potter. It just didn't seem fantastical or interesting to her. Why read about some kid who's bad at magic when you can just learn magic instead?
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Mary turns around and watches with interest. She's new to magic herself (or at least her current type of magic) but her mum has been teaching her a few things. "What are you studying? Can I see?" She's not great at reading, but she can at least try, right?
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"No, I'm answering obvious questions." The empress snarks back, licking her thumb and turning the page. "If I were really about to try to cast a spell, I wouldn't do it here, with an audience, now, would I? Honestly. Some people have no common sense."

Besides, she's about 90% sure this particular book is a crock. There's far too much text between actual incantations, and while she appreciates the narrative, as a source of magical power, it's worthless. She snaps it shut and looks up at the other two students in line, and-

Aikobaz mutters something in an incomprehensible langauge and makes some form of arcane gesture on herself. "What's this, now? I didn't know this school was accepting demonic students. How do you do, your ladyship?"

It's important to be polite to demons. The alternative results in unpleasantness.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

Also having recently disembarked the train is Micah, a smaller kid, only about 5 feet tall. He's wearing a hooded red cloak that leaves most of his face obscured in dark shadow, except for two big pale blue eyes and a few blonde dreadlocks. The cloak is done up by a leather belt with a highly ornate golden buckle that depicts two powerful dragons carved into the gold, seemingly fighting over the large rhombus-shaped diamond set in the buckle's center. He also wears boots with considerably more normal brass buckles.

Just now, the hooded kid has been intently watching the two Pokemon trainers conduct their battle, and so he looks a little upset when it is stopped. For he too is the type of protagonist that battles with monsters, though not necessarily ones from balls.

Oh, look! A line! Micah is good at standing in lines - he's done it before to get new cards from the card store across town that his grandpa's shop is competing with (a fact that he's very ashamed of). Anyways, he gets in line behind a bunch of girls. Maybe this is his chance to make a good first impression!

"Uh, h-hi. My name is, um, Micah. What's, uh... yours?"

Yeah... a great first impression.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Beans
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Beans »

A boy trips, his hair pomade making a weird slippery mess on the floor.

Another student slips on said mess and falls, their stuff skidding across the floor.

A girl steps neatly around the shotgun-spray of school supplies hurled across the tiles, her cervine hooves clicking as her tail lashes out from a slit in the back of her long secondhand skirt. Combined with her horns and second smaller set of arms, it looks like one of her qualifying protagonist dealies is "half-daemon or something". Her stinger-tipped tail flicks a stray pen back toward its hapless owner as she adjusts her bag and makes an annoyed-sounding insectile buzz. She gets in line behind Micah. Oh man, he's really out here tryin'.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

A small beep comes from Khannie's watch.
If someone sends their dumb pet at you don't hesitate to call!
Sirius has muted himself because he might count as a phone and Khannie can't take phone calls during school.
Sirius just wants to be useful.

Meanwhile!
Off to the side is a younger person about Khannie's age. Average height, somewhat heavyset, with tan skin and wearing jeans and a black hoodie.
He seems kind of terrified. And why shouldn't he be?
He's not even sure how he got into this school. He doesn't remember applying. And all of a sudden he's here and people and throwing knives and lightning bolts and whatever?! They say the school is for PROTAGONISTS but how is he supposed to know what that means for him?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Wow the line is really moving quick, isn't it?

Makes sense.

They're funneling all the students through boring day one administration nonsense. With the main entrance clogged with incoming students, a secondary line is set up going in through one of the nearby windows. Of course, using the window entrance means THOSE students need to be able to pull off some kind of sick acrobatic leap to get into the building.

This, apparently, includes a pretty surprising number of students.

The length of the line just contracted notably.

Khannie scoots forward, closer to her goal! Soon that locker assignment will be hers!

"Why wouldn't you be casting spells with an audience?" Khannie asks, her tone flat. "Those kids are."

She points at a student that just cast a JUMP! spell to launch herself up through a second story window which is for some absurd reason the point of ingress for the newly formed line.

Seems like pretty solid reasoning to her.

The line continues growing and some kid with a REALLY fancy getup (is that a diamond?) decides to talk to her?

Sure.

Why not?

"Khannie. I got in for being a shadow sorceress-"
Among other things.
"-What about you?" she replies to Micah.

That gives her a pretty good view of the OTHER demon kid showing up. Kind of reminds her of Sekhmet with the stinger tail. Khannie offers the older kid a wave just because. Hopefully that wasn't lame.
Beans

Post by Beans »

Cola notes Khannie, Kol, and Aikobaz. At Khannie's wave, she gives the younger gal a nod. "Cola," she says by way of pleasantries. "Here 'cause 'm good with curses. 'N... parent stuff." Her hands dig deeper into the pockets of her old beat-up canvas jacket; her second set of arms settle for the pockets of her skirt.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"She's not practicing. She's doing." Aikobaz points out, her gaze following the number of students jumping, flying, flipping, zipping, and otherwise moving up the wall. "She's already got it down, doesn't need to practice anymore. If she was trying that spell for the first time today, she wouldn't want an audience. Too much that can go... wrong..."

The empress frowns and sniffs at the air. "...Hang on a moment..." She leans in a little closer to Khannie and Mary, nostrils flaring. "...You've got to be joking." She breathes, astonished. "You... and you... you're both wizards?! How?!!"

She stops and lowers her hands, forcing a small, polite smile for their benefit. "...My apologies. I was... not expecting to meet such accomplished individuals among the student body of this establishment. You say your name is Khannie? And yours...?" She gestures at Mary, in the process catching a glimpse of the students behind her. Most of them are inconsequential, but she does recognize one of them from the card shop.

"Master Micah!" She greets, somewhat more enthusiastically. "I did not expect to see you here. How's your grandfather?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

"It's just Mary. No titles," Mary protests to Aikobaz, "I'm here because my mum's the queen of a hell." It's clear she doesn't really want to talk about it. She just wants to be a normal kid.
And this is maybe the worst possible school for that.
(Actually she does have a title, it's something like "your unholy grace")

Someone shouts, "Hey! The line!" It's moved on since they stopped to talk. And nervous kid seems to be in the front. Just a few people before the window entry.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Kol jumps at the shout and takes a long step to the side to close the gap in the line.
"S-sorry." he glances around. Everyone here's probably wizards or something. They can probably move stuff with their minds and summon crazy demons. This place is nuts. Why did he agree to come here again?
Oh, right. Because he's read a Greek tragedy and that's how you know that running from destiny is always the worst option to pick.
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

Micah perks up when he sees some people actually replying to him. "O-Oh, well, I'm really good at, er, children's card games." When you think about it, kind of weaksauce compared to sorcery and demonic powers. "Um, my belt buckle also contains the spirit of an-an ancient emperor who looks, uh, just like me."

Oh hey, someone recognises him! It makes sense that he would meet at least one person who shops at his grandfather's store. "Oh, hi! Er... Aikobas, right? My grandpa's doing well, th-thanks. So, um... how've you been?"
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Khannie gives her watch two little taps, just an acknowledgement to Sirius that she got his message. Wouldn't want him to think she didn't notice, after all. She isn't sure how or why she would need him out to defend her but hey! This school is supposed to be pretty exciting so who knows, right?

Micah gets an eyebrow quirk at the first part. "I mean that's not too weird, right? There are other kids who are super good at skateboarding or running or tennis or whatever? Being great at cards can be a protagonist thing."

Then a blink.

And a laugh.

"So like a ghost helper or something? Haha, maybe you should start with that one in introductions. Is he a familiar like Maridia?" Khannie asks, pointing her thumb at the fairy dragon on her shoulder.
"Khannie when are the snacks?" the little critter inquires.
"You got snacks on the train you're gunna to get fat."

Okay.

Maybe not like Maridia.

The demon girl gets an inquisitive look and a, "Parent stuff?" in response to her terse explanation. Curses are pretty self-explanatory. But what the heck is 'parent stuff' supposed to mean?

As for the green-skinned girl? Khannie offers a shrug. "You've gotta mean something different than I'm thinking by 'wizard' 'cuz I'm pretty sure Mary isn't."

The line scoots closer to the door, and Khannie with it! Thanks to the fact that she's looking over her shoulder to talk to those behind her and walking forward this means she'll manage to blunder straight into Kol. Alas, it would appear as though the school's aura of collision based meetings is inexorable. Our heroes are just about into the building at this point!
Beans

Post by Beans »

Cola looks back at Khannie and sighs. Well, maybe someone can commiserate or something. "... I'm trying to find out who my daemon mom is. I know at least what type she is." Man, at least Grandma packed her lunch with last night's leftovers.

She glances at Micah. "... Which card games? Like, the ones you play with a normal deck, or the ones that have real huge lists of which ones you can't use in tournaments?" She vaguely wonders what happens when card game prodigies grow up. Do they turn into majhong fiends like her grandad?
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"Well, I don't know how you plebs- how you people use the term, but properly speaking a wizard is one who is able to treat with magical beings, like fallen stars, and have their wishes granted. The term is ancient Astran, has the same root word as 'wish', wizr, and in modern speech could even be translated as 'wisher'." She leans in toward Khannie and sniffs a bit. "Don't deny it. You're a wizard, Khannie. I can smell it on you. You've met a wish-granter and treated with them."

She continues to stare a moment, gauging the girl's reaction, before turning back to Micah. No sense in putting too much pressure on Khannie right away. She's likely to blurt out and unhelpful answer if Aikobaz interrogates her now. She'll have to get it willingly out of the magical girl later. Unless this school has an interrogation room somewhere.

"I've been doing wonderfully, thank you. Nana's been helping me get settled in, and those bookstores you told me about, while fruitless magically, have still produced some intriguing finds." She gives Micah a sincere smile and adds, with a mischievous lilt, "And I may have been on the lookout for some good finds of my own. Perhaps even purchased a few. Maybe I'd even relinquish them, pending our rematch."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

"He's not a familiar. More of a, uh... spirit guide. He... helps me out with duels sometimes, too."

"Hi, Maridia!" Micah says brightly to the fairy dragon. "...wait, dragons can get fat?"

As for Cola's question: "Uh... the second one, I guess, but-but that's probably for the best. Not even I want to have Pot of Greed's effect explained five times in the same duel."

Micah smiles with his eyes and puts a hand behind his head. "T-that's great to hear, Aikobas! And I look forward to our next duel. That is, if you can best my newest card! The one I, uh, won in that sushi eating competition."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Khannie's face collides with Kol's shoulder! He's notably taller than her, and isn't easily knocked down.
"Oh, geez. Are you okay?" he asks her, holding out a hand to help her up if she's fallen over.
The cynical parts might say that she looks like some kind of sorcerer girl. Best be nice.
But really, his response was automatic and happened before that part of him could even process any of that.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

"Oh, that. I'd like to batty-fang him if I get a chance." Mary slips into an unusual dialect for a moment. "Oh, we're here. How're we going to get up there?" Who thought it was a good idea to put the entrance up on the second floor? It's probably a hazing thing. Mary, unlike her mother, can't fly, and climbing up the wall would be a challenge.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

The second floor entrance is mostly just there for the unreasonably acrobatic students. Since there are many of those. This IS a school for protagonists, after all. The more reasonable students can still just use the front door. That's what Khannie was planning on doing!

At least until she smacks into the kid in front of her on account of talking over her shoulder.

"Oof!"

She doesn't fall over.

But she DOES get jostled hard enough to dislodge Maridia from her shoulder, flinging the fairy dragon (very possibly!) straight onto Kol's face.

"Oh beans, sorry about that," Khannie says, her face turning red with embarrassment as she moves to remove her familiar from the other student's head.

This turns out to be an excellent excuse not to notice the green skinned girl grilling her about making wishes. It sounds like Mary is still pretty cross about the whole thing, which is understandable considering... well... everything that happened to her. Once Maridia is tucked under Khannie's arm like a particularly scaly loaf of bread she says, "Right, the wishes. Yeah if you meet this little white cat fox thing and he offers a wish don't go for it. Bad deal."

The worst deal.

Anyway!

By this time our little gaggle of heroes has made it through the front door!

Progress.

The line spreads out from here, little rivulets of students heading toward tables each with a letter prominently displayed. A bored looking cyborg-steampunk-skeleton-pirate faculty member is waving students along. "Please go to the table corresponding to the first letter of your last name for assignments."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Aikobaz rolls her eyes at that. Oh, please. There's no such thing as a bad wish-granter. Just an insufficiently-thorough phrasing of a wish. If you're one of those idiots who wish for omnipotence and then get surprised when you're tossed irretrievably into a pocket dimension to rule as your own, away from anything you actually wanted, that's on you, isn't it?

But, whatever. Little white cat fox. That's information she didn't have five minutes ago. She can look into that later. Maybe bring it up to another wizard and see what Khannie likely won't tell her. Besides, she's likely to be tangled up in heroine things with that boy she just ran into. Ugh.

For now...

The ex-empress raises an eyebrow at Micah. "I... very much doubt that will be a problem." She says, trying to hide a smirk behind her hand. What sort of prize would they offer for being the biggest glutton for raw fish anyway? Certainly nothing potent. Probably some mediocre fish-themed monster or spell card. Not exactly a game-changer. "But how about we make it interesting? Next time, I duel your friend. I have beaten every spirit that has ever challenged me to a game, and I would like to have something intriguing enough to keep me awake this time." This smirk she doesn't even try to hide. "No stakes, of course. I do not want you to get cold feet."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Beans

Post by Beans »

Cola watches Khannie's little upset with a wince, but nobody seems to be too bad off. As she starts toward the "M" table, she notes that the green gal seems pretty... intense?
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Mary files towards the table for B and picks up her packet. She pulls out some of the papers and squints at them. The title on the packet reads "Mary Brignole, Princess of the Scorching Depths, Princess of Succubi, etc.
There's a slight problem. She can't really read well. And the little table of class times and locations is not easy to read. She runs her finger along the line of text and awkwardly sounds the letters out.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Kol slowly reaches up to extract the fairy dragon from his face. Somehow she smells like...sugar and fizz.
"It's alright, really." No harm done. Luckily it seems like the dragon isn't one of those faeries that goes around leaking pixie dust everywhere. Kol wouldn't want to go to his first class covered in glitter.
"Um. I'm Kol." He says, although the lines quickly aim to tear them apart after mere moments!
He seems to be sheepishly moving towards a nearby table for his name. Does Khannie have any words for him during this fated meeting?
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Somebody else arrives! Actually four somebody else's. They used a gate, but it hadn't been opened first so now it's crushed and ground under the treads of their tracks. They're driving a tank, relatively quickly too. It's got Christie suspension, a beige-and-green colour scheme, a relatively light cannon, and widely-spaced wheels. Experienced treadheads might recognise a British Cruiser Mk IV, an early tank of the Second World War. It grinds to a halt in the school's carpark and four girls come out, all apparently fourteen. The first is human, wearing a frilly black dress and lace gloves that really highlight her pale skin; she's also got brown eyes and dark purple hair shaved close on the left whilst it conceals her right eye. For some reason, she also has a nimcha. The next is clearly mechanical, and wearing a far more practical school uniform, though she doesn't have a face, just a blank expanse of bronze. The last two resemble each other closely enough they're almost certainly twins; they also walk in exact time and move in perfect unison.

Another newcomer is a fifteen-year-old with dark orange skin, black hair and large, liquid brown eyes. He's mostly orc, with a touch of human blood; he's tall and wide already, and has a pair of tusks sticking up from his lower jaw. He's wearing the uniform with the addition of a pair of hatchets at his waist. He's going to head over to the 'B' section, where he might be recognised as Algothurz Bloodplunder, the first of Mrs. Bloodplunder's great-grandchildren.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

Micah puts his fists on his hips. "Y-You don't know that for sure! Maybe... maybe you'll be surprised at just how big of a b-boat you'll need to survive my new monster's attack."

Foreshadowing!

"O-oh, you mean the spirit of the buckle? I'm sure he'd love to duel you. A-and don't worry - he would never back out of a challenge, and neither would I. You of all people should know that, Aikobas!"

Micah squints and points behind Aikobaz to the cyborg-steampunk-etc. faculty member, then to the tables with letters on them. "I-I think he said we're supposed to go to the table that has our last, uh, initial on it." he mentions, himself beginning to head for the table with the letter C. C for Cardcaptor.