PREP Highschool

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Re: PREP Highschool

Post by Ironsmith »

[Cafeteria]

Aikobaz doesn't resist the bug girl's attempt to break away from her. She was prepared for a bit of a shock; having the empress come out of nowhere and kiss her where her lips would be one, apropos of absolutely nothing else.

"Hello." The empress replies, with a lightly-amused smile. "You are aware of the winter semi-formal dance approaching, correct?" She reaches into her pocket and produces a flyer neatly folded into quarters, unfolding it and setting it on the table where the bug girl can get a good look at it. "This is your semi-formal invitation to attend." She lifts a corner of the paper and quickly scribbles down her phone number, her fingers moving in a graceful, practiced motion that gives the resulting digits a sort of calligraphic quality. "I will not accept an excuse to not attend. This is my personal phone number; if there is anything standing between you and the dance, call me and I will handle it." She tucks the corner back under the flyer and gives the girl a little smile. "I look forward to seeing you there."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.

Tags:
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

PE Block
"We can't rule it out," Mary replies to Fred.
She quiets down to listen to what the strange kids have to say from her hiding place. "Any idea what that means?" It's all gibberish to her.

Cafeteria
"I just need someone, no I'm not arguing with Kha... Not a date!?" The words finally sink in. "Not a date!?" It doesn't seem right. Who goes to a dance with someone not as a date? "No, it has to be a date. It's for romance class." Of course Kol might not want to go on a date with this rather clingy demon princess.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[PE Block]

"Don't worry about it." Tahara gives Mary a vaguely amused wave, though thanks to apeparances, she seems to be soothing Fred instead. "It's just a thing we forever-young types like to do. Introduce ourselves with something nonsensical but profound sounding so anybody listening doesn't get it but they think it's their fault for not thinking about it hard enough. Builds a certain rapport, you know? Otherwise people just assume we're weird kids and the conversation goes south from there."

The garbage witch grins and hops up into the tree, settling next to the star-eyed kid. "Hey again! I probably shoulda guessed I'd be bumping into you two." She gives the girl a friendly punch in the arm. "We just need to know who put you up to putting surveillance equipment in the girl's locker room. Was it Belmont again? I keep telling her, you can't pick out vampires by their tan lines, that's not how it works-"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Not PE Block

"Not a clue about the breathing thing, but... she says if we want her help to skip out of lessons we gotta pay for it. What do you accept in payment?" Fred's pretty fluent in mischief-maker, since she's one herself.

"Nobody put us up to it. Because we didn't do it. One of Orion's clients may have, though. What lead you here?" The glowing boy's lips are synched with his words now, he's not trying to be quite so enigmatic. He's also looking straight at Mary, despite her hiding. Or... maybe he is; he's got no eyes, so chances are he's not looking at anything even if he does know where Mary is.

"We wouldn't do such a thing. I'm on the junior ōllamalīztli team, y'know, and Watcher's blind. Mostly blind. He'd not know how to set something like that up. We've not seen Belmont in three weeks, and good riddance. She annoys me." Orion frowns at the suggestion of interacting with Belmont. "What lead you to us as culprits?"
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Library]

"Sensha-do, right right," Khannie replies, nodding in that 'I have no idea what you're talking about but don't want to say that out loud'. After a few seconds her eyes widen with realization. "Oh! Right! That's the tank thing, right?"

Khannie remembers VERY distinctly learning about the various clubs during her orientation. The idea of a tank club struck her as extremely strange. But then again, this IS a protagonist school so very strange is basically the name of the game. The tank club was just extra weird.

"Wouldn't volley ball work? You stay pretty close for that," Khannie muses. Now she's wondering what the 'range' on Gemini's two body thing is. That comment about parents, though-

"Huh. I hadn't ever really thought of that," she mutters.

She's got a single dad. Mary's adopted. Gaudia's trainer died. Kol's adopted. That weird green girl is... Khannie has no idea, really. Arthfael lives with his uncle.

"Yeah, I guess that checks out, doesn't it?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

PE Block
Mary can tell she's been detected. She slithers out of hiding. "We followed an aftershave smell," she says. "But neither of you look like you need to shave, so maybe someone else was here recently?"
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[PE Block]

"Plus, getting where you're not supposed to be is sort of your whole thing, if I remember right." Tahara continues seamlessly, clapping her hands together. "But yeah, anyway, Fred's got a point. We kind of are skipping class for this, aren't we? Probably ought to do something about that."

It's easy to forget with their discovery of a magical peeping operation being that much more pressing, really.

"So... yeah, what would you two like in payment? I might be able to cough something up for you." Tahara shrugs. "And if you happen to have any good information... well, you get the gist."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Library

"Yeah, the tank thing. It's great fun. And with volleyball... still runs into the issue of if I count as one player or two. Plus it's a lot of running around when I could be tinkering with engines." Gemini does think a moment, though. "Maybe I should give volleyball a go. The uniforms are nice. But the school's not got a beach." Beach volleyball might not be the version Khannie was thinking of.

"Yep, I've got a single mum, Fred's parents named her Olivette, and Synthia's father is... a bit creepy, and built her. Or rebuilt her; there's some organic stuff in there I think." Gemini doesn't really know what's going on with Synthia's father either.

PE Block

"For this? Nothing. I told you, I have sport too. Even if the school's version is less fun than the original." The losing side of ōllamalīztli was traditionally sacrificed, and Orion is disappointed by the changes.
"You're after Mat the Squirrel. They paid Orion twenty dollars, a black candle and a worksheet. They came by not ten minutes ago; you should be able to catch up." Watcher turns to look at Orion, who thrusts the key into the air and twists it, opening a door into a staircase. "They went up. First landing's Mallside, then Skyside, then Riverside. After that it changes. Be careful."

Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Cafeteria

The bug-girl blinks.
"Okay but I don't even know who you are. Also, I'm into guys. Also you're going to want to wait three days and then get tested for lycanthropy." She points one of her secondary arms at Aikobaz.
Hm, those mandibles did pinch. Can you get lycanthropy from smooching a werebug?
---
Kol looks slightly terrified.
"Romance?" Mary, I'm fifteen. I can't be used for a romance project! Also that's kind of weird." Being asked out for a class project is definitely a little weird.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

PE Block
Mary looks into the staircase. "Are we really going in there?" It seems like a bad idea. Especially because who knows if they'll be able to get back. And because she just shapeshifted herself a snake tail and now she's going to need to go back to having legs in order to climb stairs.

Cafeteria
This is looking increasingly like a lost cause. Mary seems more panicked. "We don't have to do anything romantic! I just have to bring a date to the dance to pass my exam." She was sure Kol would be interested, she thought they had a connection, but he's turned her down at every opportunity.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[PE Block]

"Works for me." Tahara smiles and steps through the door, setting a few of her roaches down to track this squirrel guy through the staircase. "Thanks to both of you. And... well, honestly, I still feel like you've earned something, so here." She reaches down and puts her hand in her side, shuffling around a bit with where her ribs would be and producing a rubber ball about the right size for the aforementioned game. "...You're going to want to wash it off, but hey, can never have too many practice balls, right?" The trash witch smiles and sets it at Orion's feet before starting up the stairs after her roaches.

[Cafeteria]

"What a fortuitous coincidence. So am I." Aikobaz replies with a little shrug, gingerly touching the spot on her lips where they touched the mandibles to see if the skin is broken. And speaking of fortuitous coincidences... yup, she can already feel some light swelling there, which would be consistent with either a lightly-busted lip or some form of venom. That constitutes a net gain already.

"As I said, I will accept no excuses." The empress continues, leaning in. "So let me make this a little clearer for you. Unless you can look me in the eye and say you do not want to go to the biggest social event of the school in this calendar year, accompanied by someone with the means and the will to get you properly prepared to enjoy it, where you will then be surrounded by boys you might actually be interested in, armed with a new dress, expertly-done makeup, and lessons from the best dance instructor in the Nexus, you will be going to that dance." She presses her hands against the table and continues to stare straight into the bug-girl's eyes expectantly, waiting for the reply.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Library]

"Nah, see, I get it. I'm in the school's cape club. That's already a tona work on top of all the regular assignments. I can't figure out how the kids who do, like, three different clubs AND sports AND all their classes actually have time for anything. Heck, my magic makes it so I don't have to sleep and I still have trouble finding time for everything,"
Khannie laughs. "So I get wanting to focus on the mechanic stuff if that's what you really like. Even if the uniforms are- wait beaches?"

She blinks at that, caught off guard.

"I thought they just played that in the gym like basketball?"

Khannie waves one hand to banish that subject.

"Whatever. Eh, I think I've seen Synthia around. She showed up to watch a pokemon fight? She's friends with my buddy Gaudia," Khannie muses. "Maybe I could check out one of your tank matches? I don't usually watch sports that much but it might be fun."

Is competitive tank battling really a sport, though?

Probably as much as playing video games or competitive battle tops is.

This is such a weird school.
Last edited by Rebonack on Dec 29, 2022 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

PE Block --> Endless Stair

"I am. You don't have to. Anyone asks, tell 'em you had to deal with, I'unno, demon-y stuff. Imp got loose or something, you'll not get a detention if you make it convincing." Protagonists need to skip lessons every so often, so long as they've got a decent excuse and don't make it a habit.

Tahara and Fred step into the stairwell. It's a pretty standard staircase, a design common to many apartment buildings and skyscrapers- a flight up to a rectangular corridor, then another flight, and so on up and down. Except unlike most such, there's no windows; just a single door on each corridor. Just bare concrete, walls and floor, lit by fluorescent tubes set in the bottom of the stairway above. The scent of the aftershave does, indeed, head up. The door Fred and Tahara just appear to have used looks like a pretty standard school fire exit, and this corridor's got a few bits of detritus upon it. Broken pencils, a pen lid, old chewing gum, cigarette butts and other school-themed litter.

Library

"Yeah, two people in swimsuits on a beach whacking a ball at each other over a net? That's volleyball, right?" That's still beach volleyball, not indoors volleyball.

"Synthia's very into her fights. Violence in general, really. She doesn't need to sleep either; maybe she'd be interested in the cape club? What do you need to do to get involved?" Synthia doesn't really need a mask, since her face is swappable.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Library]

"Huh... uh... I mean I guess that's volleyball? But it doesn't have to be at a beach or in swim suits or whatever," Khannie muses.

Maybe some people play it at beaches?

"We've got a volley ball net at Glog at a sandy spot near the lake. But I don't think I've ever seen anyone playing there in a swimsuit before."

Now she's imagining Sophie and Sakura in swim suits playing volley ball.

"Anyway, the Cape club is pretty cool. Usually you've gotta have some sorta super power. For some people that's gadgets that they make instead of, like, magic powers or something. Some Capes'll say their powers aren't magic sorta like how Superman is supposed to get his power from the sun or whatever but I've read how that stuff is supposed to work and it is totally magic; they just don't wanna call it that," Khannie says ever the connoisseur of comic books. "It's usually a good idea to have some sorta power or something that lets you take a hit or two if you're gunna do crime fighting. If you aren't tough or aren't wearing something that's tough then it's real easy to get hurt."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Endless Stair
"No way! You're not leaving me behind!" Mary reforms her tail into legs and steps through the door into the stairwell behind Fred and Tahara. "Wow, this is a gloomy place."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Cafeteria

The bug-girl stares at Aikobaz flatly.
"Okay.
And what if I told you that I don't actually like social events, because being in a crowd makes me locust-out and I wasn't planning on going with anyone anyway?"
---
Kol visibly squirms.
"Well...I guess if you just need me to show up and stay for an hour..."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Cafeteria]

"I would say those sound like excuses." Aikobaz replies evenly. "I did not ask if you could go. I did not ask if you were planning to go. I did not ask if it would be practical to go. I'm the empress; if the need arises, I can handle any of those." She finally takes a moment and sits in front of the bug girl, offering her a small smile. "I asked if you wanted to go, and I have yet to receive a satisfactory answer."

She continues to watch the bug girl expectantly, waiting for the message to sink in.

---

[Endless Stair]

"Ooh, I should have done this ages ago!" Tahara squeels, scooping up the trash. "Cigarettes? Someone's been naughty! And broken pencils! Shame, but I'll find a use for them. Ooh, and candy wrappers, drool, drool..."

She's going to obsess for a while, in all likelihood.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Cafeteria
Mary frowns. Seeing Kol jitter and squirm at her insistence finally gets the idea really into her head.
He's completely not interested in her. Probably not interested in the dance at all.
She looks crestfallen. "Um, I'm sorry. I thought you were ... Nevermind. I'll find someone else. Sorry."

Elsewhere, someone checks off a box on a list.
"Recognizes when someone's not interested and backs down: ✓"
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Library

"I've never been to GLoG. Is it as nice as they say it is?" "Synthia's mostly mechanical, so she's tough and can take a beating. Also some of her components are extradimensional, and she can fold weapons out of nowhere." Gemini looks at herself. "Don't mention cape club to her, she's not got many nonlethal options." Knives, harpoons, and potentially guns or crossbows tend to be a little bit deadly, if one's not careful, and Synthia is the wrong kind of careful.

Endless Stair

Well, if Tahara's distracted Fred will lead the way upwards. The next landing is littered with fast food litter, receipts, loose change, and more spots of gum. The door here looks to be a glass door, to a shop or something, though one that's out of business- it's had yellowing newspapers taped over it.

The smell of aftershave continues up, and Fred isn't too interested in Mallside right now- she's not packed her purse, so she's got basically no money.

bc56

Post by bc56 »

Endless Stair
Mary goes up. "I hope it's not in Skyside. Mum told me never to go there if I could help it," which means Sekhmet thinks Skyside is more dangerous than literal Hell. Definitely not a glowing endorsement.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Endless Stair]

"Oh, it's not that bad." Tahara reassures Mary, scooping up bits of trash as they go and snuggling them to her chest like a malformed teddy bear. "I mean, morally, yeah, it's awful, probably the worst place to be that isn't currently overrun with actual demons (no offense), but if you know what places to avoid it's very survivable. I wouldn't be surprised if this Squirrel guy has a hideout there; it wouldn't be an awful place to hide something if you needed to." She shrugs. "...I might be biased, though. It's a great place to go if you need some garbage." She grins, flashing a set of false teeth that used to be somebody's dentures.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Library]

"I mean it's pretty cool. Just like this campground out in the mountains, you know? I used to go there pretty much every afternoon ever since I was little," Khannie recounts. Which meant LOTS of riding on Riftline. She knows the train service quite well.

Still can't figure out why weird stuff happens there whenever Seraphina is around.

As for the cape club, Khannie looks a little concerned when weapons are brought up. "Ah, hehe, yeah..."

She rubs the back of her neck awkwardly.

"The Cape Club follows the comic book code. There's a pretty strict no killing badguys rule. If Synthia wanted to join she would hafta get non-lethal weapons. Like stunning stuff. That's mostly what I use. I've got some nastier stuff for, like, robots and monstery animal things or whatever. But usually knocking someone out 'n tying them up is good enough. The club hands out these little tag things you can pin to a bad-guy you thwarted and Intersection'll come pick 'em up."

Khannie pulls another book off the shelf and pops it open, eyes skimming the pages.

"Oh! This one's more on what the deal is with gods and stuff. Let's see... Huh. It's just like... some questions? And how different religions or gods or whatever answer 'em?" Khannie muses aloud. "What is the ultimate nature of reality and what is our relationship to it? Where did we come from and where are we going? What is wrong with the world and how do we fix it?"

She wrinkles her nose a bit at that.

"That just sounds like... I dunno. Like how you look at the world? I've though a bunch about the last ones. Like, some people are jerks. And you've gotta get them to STOP being jerks so people can be happy. Sometimes that means punching 'em."

A very super hero outlook on that one.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Endless Stair

The door on the next corridor is a steel door, rusted and battered, and the litter here is darker. Syringes, needles, broken chains, lost keys, and clothing damaged beyond useability. And still no sign of Mat the Squirrel. The scent continues up, to the next layer, but here... There's a child, about eight or nine, sat cross-legged and facing the wall and making sobbing noises. They're probably a boy, with roughly cut short hair, wearing a grimy blue t-shirt and stained white shorts, with a brass collar about his neck.

Library

"It sounds lovely. And we'll try to keep Synthia unaware of the Cape Club for as long as possible, or divert her away from it." "It's not that she's a nasty person, she's just... a little fixated on violence and doesn't always see the point in non-violent stuff." Both halves of Gemini nod. "She only plays sensha-do because she's convinced it'll help her get a job driving a real tank in actual combat some day, and it's like practice." "Which I guess it is, I just like seeing the explosions when I shoot a two-pound shell at something." It's also good exercise, hauling those shells about, loading them into the gun, and firing them.

bc56

Post by bc56 »

The Endless Stair
"Are you all right?" Mary says to the boy. "Go down. It's safe there."
This would be the perfect time for the boy to turn out to be a monster and try to eat her face. She's easily within reach
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Cafeteria

The bug's posture changes completely at the word "empress."
"Okay, well let me make it clear, then. I don't like social events, which I already told you. And I don't like social events with stuck-up nobles with egos bigger than their entire bodies." She sticks her nose in the air and walks off, wings buzzing.

---
"Don't apologize, Mary. It's okay. We should hang out more. Just....not that sort of thing." Kol insists.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Cafeteria
Mary doesn't exactly look reassured by that. "Um, okay. Later." She still needs to find a date. At least from the looks of things, so does Aiko. Nice to see that prick is getting what she deserves (or rather not getting what she doesn't deserve).
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Library]

Khannie definitely looks a bit taken aback by that description of Synthia.

"Geeze. That sounds like villain in the making material," she says, lowering the book she's got her nose in a bit. "Do you know WHY she's so fixated on violence? That doesn't sound healthy."

Then again...

Being a partly organic thing that has been stuffed into a robotic body doesn't sound healthy, either.

It leaves Khannie wondering what happened to the poor girl.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Library

"It does, when you put it like that. Um, no. I've met her dad, he's a bit..." "Very." "Creepy." Gemini pauses a moment. "I don't think she's got a lot to be healthy, y'know? I don't know what, exactly, is alive in her shell, but... I've got a feeling it's not an entire brain, plus whatever else it might be." Something about Synthia comes across as a little focused and Gemini isn't sure why. "Her father works on her every weekend, upgrading her and helping her grow like a fully organic person and keeping the clockwork maintained. Couple weeks ago he installed blades in her knees she can eject by flexing her limbs." So he's certainly not helping, and is likely part of the reason- whatever that is.

Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Cafeteria]

Aikobaz tenses slightly at the insult, but makes no move to follow or further bother the bug-girl as she gets up and leaves. That seems like a pretty final answer; if she did get up and follow her, it'd probably constitute a form of harassment. And not the kind sanctioned by her club, either.

But, you know what? This is fine. Bug girl made her decision, and it's not on Aikobaz that she made the wrong one. She'll miss out and some other lucky soul will be the empress's date to the dance. It's not a big-

At the next table over, someone starts laughing. "Oh, man." The peon giggles, pointing at Aiko. "How bad a date do you have to be to get turned down flat by buggy Betty, of all people?"

Which, as it turns out, seems to tickle that entire table's sense of humor. AIkobaz finds herself staring down a dozen people who don't seem to have anything better to do than amuse themselves with the details of her misfortune. The empress frowns and begins making her way back to her own table, attempting to rein in her own ire. Jackasses, the lot of them. Guess she's not asking any of them to the dance.

As she continues, though, the laughter seems to continue to propagate as word of Aikobaz's rejection spreads from table to table. By the time she's made it back to her seat, it seems as though the whole school is laughing at her.

"Should we be doing this?" Someone sitting near Mary asks nobody in particular.

"Bud, I'd like to introduce you to a little concept called karma." Someone else replies with a chuckle.

Aikobaz, meanwhile, simply doesn't stop when she gets back to her seat. She just picks up her textbooks and moves toward the exit, holding her head pointedly high the whole way. Though eagle-eyed viewers will notice that her pace picks up a bit a few paces short of the door, as she's in a hurry to get out of there.

If Mary (or anybody else) follows her, they'll eventually find her in the girls' restroom, where she'll have locked herself in a stall, from which the sound of quiet sobbing can be heard.

-

[Endless Stair]

Tahara's grin drops (literally, it falls off) the moment she sees the boy.

Or, more accurately, the moment she sees his collar.

"...Oh, geez..." The trash witch stops her gathering and kneels next to the kid. "Are you okay? Wait, no... sorry, stupid question. Are you hurt?" Her beady eyes flick up and down as she examines the crying boy, looking for any injuries that might be keeping him from going up or down the stairs. It doesn't seem right to just leave him here.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Cafeteria
Knock knock.
"Hey." Oh it's Mary. Probably here to rub it in. "Get up. Moping won't help our grades." That's probably not what Aiko expected to hear. "We both, um, struck out. So we need to try again. More respectfully this time." Lording over her prospective date didn't work out for Aiko, nor did trying to pressure her friend into it work for Mary.