PREP Highschool

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: PREP Highschool

Post by Ironsmith »

[Endless Stair]

"Yeah. You let these people bully you into bootlegging and they're not going to stop until you're either dead or useless." Tahara confirms. "And given that these perverts wanted recordings of high school girls in a locker room, I say put the kibosh on the whole operation now." There's a brief chittering sound behind her lips as she considers the implications of that course of action. "...We'll be able to kill two birds with one stone that way. Lenny's got to eat and we've got some scum to get off the streets. Everybody wins."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.

Tags:
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Endless Stair

"I already can't get out. Something happens to him, I go into care or something, or worse to my mum's. Why do you think I made those choices? Did you think I had good options?" Mat frowns at Mary, aware of the risks being pointed out but genuinely not sure she had a way to avoid them. "If you girls are up to helping, and you won't get me in trouble- well, too much trouble, anyway- I'm up for this. Show the bastards not to mess with students at PREP, huh?" The squirrel smiles at Tahara at that bit.
"You want to feed that thing? Would that make it more dangerous, or less? How'd we get it to eat only the bad guys?" Fred isn't sure involving Lenny in this is a good idea, but she's also up for a strike against weirdoes in Skyside.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dorm
"Hi Sirius, we want to make this computer painting not go away if I paint another one over it," Mary unhelpfully explains. What does that even mean?

Home Ec
Mary laughs brightly. "You're a really good cook. Um, like, the best." She polishes off the last of the first crepe. "Where do you learn to do all this?" Other than PREP. Obviously.

Endless Stair
"How am I the only sane one here?" Mary protests. "We can't just go into Skyside unplanned and without backup or even anyone knowing where we are! I, for one, do not want to be sold into slavery! That's why I suggested we move Mat's brother somewhere safe, like campus, so that nobody can cause him to have an 'accident.'"
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Dorms]

"I mean, it IS getting kinda late," Khannie points out. We are talking post Thanksmas party after all. "But yeah! I got this drawing pad thing for my friend Mary and we're trying to figure out how to download the picture she's made off it. If I just plug you into it would you be able to do that for us?"

The thing doesn't have a USB port or whatever.

Why would super advanced technology use the same connectors as everyone else?

That would be HELPFUL but it wouldn't make much sense.

[Home Ecc]

"I've still got a lot to learn but soon I'll be the GREATEST kitchen warrior ever!" Soup declares dramatically. "Everyone will have to acknowledge my skill and artistry!"

He's definitely not the bashful sort, that's for sure.

As he talks he begins cleaning up the mess he made. Cleaning up after yourself in the kitchen is just as important as creating the meal in the first place!

"From my grandpa! He used to be a kitchen warrior when he was younger, but he got too old to be able to fight well. But he was still a great cook! He taught me some of the secrets of focusing your ki to quickly prepare a perfect meal! And those secrets are important for fighting, too."

Of course they are.

[Hallway]

Khannie really isn't adept at casting comical explosions that don't hurt people type spells.

Unless we're talking about an illusion that just LOOKS like a harmful spell that layers an illusion over people caught in it of being all blackened with their hair slicked back.

THAT she could do.

It would also be pretty funny.

But it wouldn't send anyone flying.

Anyway, how else would whatever this person is cast fireballs, anyway? By NOT snorting them at people? Khannie has no idea what this guy's species even is. There are a TON of non-humans in the Nexus and there's no way in heck Khannie's going to remember every single one of them. The only ones that really stick in her head are the ones she interacts with on a pretty regular basis.

"I guess that's cool," Khannie admits. "But if you're gunna do hero stuff you had better learn how to cast spells that can incapacitate without hurting someone too much. You can't just go around blowing up people just because they're dumb bandits or whatever."

In Khannie's opinion.

Some people feel that's a perfectly valid way to dispatch evil-doers.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Dorms

"Oh, you just want me to transfer some data for you? Yeah, sure. The AUSB plug should do fine."
It sure is convenient that Khannie's digivice comes with an Actually Universal Serial Bus plug.

Hallway

He casts spells by waving his hands and saying magic words like everyone else!
Even if his voice kind of sounds like a pig trying to talk on a regular basis. Words are hard.
"Well, Dad never really had trouble with it. But I guess he really did focus on the monster-slaying stuff. And clan wars where the Judges protect the combatants anyway. How to people at the school who specialize in like, swordfighting and guns do it? Vita doesn't exactly have nonlethal bullets. Oh, Vita's my brother. He's in the year ahead of us. You probably haven't met him."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dorms
Mary watches to see what happens. She doesn't know enough about computers to provide input.

Home Ec
Mary smiles at that. "Your grampa sounds very cool. I've never met my grampa.' She means her biological grandfather. She's met her adoptive grandparents on her adoptive father's side (that's two adoptions).
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dorms]

"Okay, cool. I wasn't sure if plugging your digivice in would... bug you or something," Khannie admits.

She really hasn't the faintest idea how the machines that Sirius runs on work, just that they do. That's... more or less how most people are with computer anything, though. But at least she's figured out which buttons do what! That's where to start to remain functional at least.

It takes a few moments of searching to find the plug they need and once inserted no doubt Sirius will be able to get his data in a hurry! He may find to his surprise that the architecture in the tablet thing is weird. In addition to silicon semiconductors there are organic components in there, too. Molecular machines doing work. Different types of parts doing things they're best at.

"Alright once Sirius has got it we should head over to the library. They've got printers and stuff there and we should be able to make a copy of your picture," Khannie says. "...maybe we should stop by the school store and get you a drive you can store pictures on so we don't have to use Sirius all the time?"

Khannie is, still, worried that bothering her partner needlessly might be rude.

[Halls]

"I THINK there's actually a class on that?" Khannie replies, pulling out her phone and looking up the school's class offerings. "Yeah! Here it is. Nonlethal Epic Battles. Oof, it's got three courses. I guess it's on how to look really cool in a fight while not actually seriously hurting your opponent. That way they can swear revenge on you or become your friend or whatever."

Sounds like a handy class!

Khannie shoves her phone back in her pocket.

"Mosta my stuff doesn't actually kill. I mean... I guess it probably could if I really tried but..."

She remembers the giant roaches on her first night.

"Dead things are gross."

Then?

She begins heading toward her next class! Wizardry, as it happens. "So your whole family is adventurers, huh? That's pretty cool. My dad used to be an adventurer but now he mostly just works from home."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Halls

Macan nods, pondering. "Maybe I can fit that into next year's schedule..."

Though he perks up more at the question of his family.
"Yeah, my dad is a mage and my other dad was a famous actor in his home town though he did some fencing on the side. They settled down a lot when they adopted me and Vita."
Adventurers tend to do that when they have kids. Assuming they don't run away at full speed.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dorms
"A drive?" Mary doesn't know what that is. She knows about driving, of course, but going for a drive is different from storing things on a drive, whatever that means. "Um... Okay, let's go."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Halls]

Macan appears to have avoided the broken family curse via being adopted since that totally counts. If they were his ACTUAL parents no doubt something terrible and tragic would have happened to them to set him on the course of adventure. That's just how things work, right?

"I'm DEFINITELY going to go off on a big quest once I get older like my dad did. Maybe I'll even get to save the world! It'll be really cool," Khannie says confidently. "So what's your bro's deal? Does he do magic stuff, too?"

They are steadily getting closer to Wizardry class...

[Home Ecc]

Soup scratches at the back of his neck, his racoon tail flipping around. "Well, I guess technically he isn't really my grandpa. He said he found me as a baby out in the woods inside of a strange oven that fell from the sky! Isn't that weird?"

Definitely weird.

"But he raised me and I love him! He's the best grandpa."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Halls

"That sounds sweet. Let me know if you need backup." Mac offers.
"Well, I'm more magic than sword stuff. My brother is more sword stuff than magic. I guess we have a little bit of the dichotomy thing going on, with me being the round one and him being the tall, strong one." He glances around and then says quietly. "But we're actually both pretty equally strong, it's just that people never guess it 'cause he looks it and I've got a natural gut."

Dorms

"Yeah, I got it. Pretty sure, at least. There's not a whole lot else here." The tablet is new so there shouldn't be many things for Sirius to sift through to find the thing they were looking for. Which is good, he doesn't like the idea of sifting through Mary's personal effects, digital or not.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Endless Stair]

"...Hm. I suppose that's a point." Tahara shrugs, giving "Lenny" a little pat on the back. "All right. We get her brother somewhere safe first and dispense some much-needed justice later. And if you're really worried about someone being sold into slavery, I'll take point on this one, Brignole. Nobody's interested in a trash witch anyway." She flashes the demon princess a "toothy" grin and gestures back down the stairs. "You go on back. I'll stay here with Lenny until it's time to either release him into the wilderness somewhere or go bite someone in Skyside. All right?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Halls]

Khannie looks around as well, trying to figure out who Mac is trying to keep this a secret from.

"I dunno if I've ever met two people who are EXACTLY as strong as each other," she points out. Close? Sure. But totally the same? "But if he's taller then he's gunna have more reach. That's good for thrusting."

She helpfully makes some thrusting gestures.

It's quite clear from her form that Khannie really doesn't know the first thing about swordplay. She swings that baton of hers like a baseball bat.

But then! They arrive at Wizardry class! They're still a few minutes early mostly because Khannie isn't one of those protagonists who always arrive LATE to everything.

[Dorms => Toward the Library]

"Okay, cool. Glad there wasn't, like, weird digital monster things in there or whatever," Khannie says as she unplugs the digivice and stows it in a pocket. What kind of monsters would be living in neon-bunker tech?

Probably extra strange ones.

And for the matter the canvas isn't new. Khannie recovered it! And it still works!

Anyway, off they go! A few of the dragons in the dorm give Khannie looks and she gives them looks right back. Who cares if she isn't a magical lizard she can be in whatever dorm she wants to be in so nyeh.

Hopefully nothing unexpected happens on the way out.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Halls

"Well, he's got more reach I guess. But I'm faster. Never underestimate how fast a seeq can run."
And then they arrive in class!
At the desk is a little white bunny-person with a green pom-pom sticking out of his head and an official PREP professor's robe.
"Hi uh, Mister Valleverte." Mac says, waving his hand awkwardly.
"Hiya Mac, kupo. You're early, (kupo), take a seat." responds the moogle.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Endless Stair

Mat doubts the slavery claims, though she may be mistaken, and gestures at Fred with the 'bald ape-men' comment. "They're bald ape-men like you. They're unable to appreciate how pretty I am, so why'd they want me? And how're you gonna hide a seven-foot-tall twenty-year-old squirrel on campus? He can't just put on my spare uniform and pretend to be me. It wouldn't fit, even if he was willing to give it a try." They might instead be able to not hide him, though his presence will probably raise questions no matter what. Or Mary could suggest GLoG; there's probably a door there on this staircase somewhere. "I'm up for beating slavers, if they are slavers."

'Lenny' smiles at Tahara as its back is patted, the corners of what, on a human, would be its mouth twitching upwards. It's still deaf and has no idea what's going on.

bc56

Post by bc56 »

Towards the Library
Mary is disappointed her question isn't answered but follows along.

Mary...
She looks around. Khannie doesn't appear to have heard that.
Mary...
"Mum?" she asks aloud.
Mary! Get to... Where's that map... The library! I'll explain on the way. Quickly!"
"Mum, what!? Why are you in my head?"
Just go!
Bewildered, Mary breaks into a run.

This is probably confusing for outside observers like Khannie.

Endless Stair
"If we get him to inside he's already away from where they work normally. Or we could try to find a door to GLoG." She has no doubts about the slavery issue. She trusts her mum's warnings about why she shouldn't go to Skyside. "I'd like to fight slavers but we don't know what we're walking into." And her mother would kill her if she got herself killed or captured.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Endless Stair]

"Worst comes to worst, he can stay in my junkyard for a bit." Tahara says with a shrug. "Maybe not the most comfortable place, but unless they're bringing Olympia-level ordinance, they're not getting in. I could have my roaches try to fix up a place for him in the meantime; somebody threw out a perfectly good recliner last week and I've got a mostly-funtional tv tucked away somewhere, and a couple of mattresses I've already picked free of bedbugs. Plus, who's going to go looking for a squirrel in a junkyard?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Endless Stair

"He's in Inside already. It's where we live. The Fairy Godfather doesn't have much influence in Skyside, just some trading partners and stuff. That's why I'm using the Endless Stair and not delivering on the weekend." Earl had thought he'd name dropped his leprechaun mob boss earlier, but it seems not. "The peeps in Skyside don't give you warnings or a way out before they bump you off. or just grab ya an' take you away to get back what they can." And with less protections, that'd not just be Mat and her brother, but all the furniture from their apartment and possibly even the building itself.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Towards the Library]

All of a sudden Mary is acting weird!

Weird like... Telepathy?

Thanks to Khannie connection with Maridia that isn't a thing totally unknown to her. But it's still kinda weird when someone starts talking aloud to no one around all of a sudden. Khannie furrows her brow and begins to ask, "I everything oka-"

And then Mary runs off!

Heck.

Khannie begins jogging after her!

Thankfully they're running across the campus instead of through the halls. No telling who might yell at them not to run in the hallways.

"What's going on?"

[Wizard Class]

Khannie still doesn't get the kupo thing. Is it like pokemon making pokemon noises? There are so many different sorts of people in the Nexus Khannie really can't keep track of all of them. Were these ones from a video game like pokemon? Or from a book? Or just... things that exist. She's never bothered to ask because it feels like it would be sorta rude to ask about.

Hey did someone somewhere make you up but you exist in the Nexus 'cuz everything does?

Definitely awkward.

Anyway!

She'll head to her desk, shrug her pack off, and begin getting things organized. Wizardry class is cool. Obviously she's not as naturally adept at it as her sorcery BUT learning is still fun! It's like magical math.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Towards the Library
"Mum's in my head, telling me..."
Someone's summoning a familiar. Uh, normally that would be fine, but, uh, they're making a mess of it. You, uh, need to either fix or stop that ritual. You'll feel it when you get close. Otherwise, uh... It would be, uh, explosive."
"Ritual going wrong. Might explode." That's enough of an explanation right?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Towards the Library]

"WHAT!?" Khannie retorts, rather shocked by this development!

"What the heck is someone doing rituals in the LIBRARY for!? Doesn't that dope know that you're supposed to cast spells like that in the arcanium?" Khannie gasps.

That's exactly what the arcanium is for!

The place is magically insulated to PREVENT magical explosions!

Clearly some idiot thought that the rules didn't apply to them.

That is, perhaps not surprisingly, a common issue amongst protagonists.

Anyway!

Time to run toward trouble!
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Towards the Library
The heroes run towards trouble. They're protagonists, it's what they do.
Khannie probably won't feel anything unusual as they enter the library building but Mary's hair stands on end.
You can find it on your own now. Be careful, it, uh, it's putting out a lot of energy that you're, uh, sensitive to. It'll, uh, mess with your powers. Good luck, Mary. I know you can do it." The connection breaks.
"Wait! What about my powers!?"

There's no answer.
"Um... Okay. It's up from here."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Endless Stair
"That's easier then!" Mary looks relieved. "Skyside is a dangerous place."
They can go back down and get into inside then. "Worst comes to worst, he could hide in my mum's court, but that's... Um... Not exactly safe." Not because of Mary's mum, but because of everyone else.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[At the Library!]

Khannie has been at the whole running toward trouble thing for quite a while now.

No doubt she'll grow up to be quite the hero! But that's the hope of everyone at this school, isn't it?

When they arrive Khannie glances around, scrunching her lips off to the side a little. She allows a few layers of her illusion to peel back, the olfactory and tactile elements fading until it is ONLY a visual image of a human girl layered over her actual spirit-fox body. Which means! She now has access to her spirit fox senses!

Mostly that's enhanced hearing and scent.

But also a sense of life. It isn't terribly different from scent, just scent of... warmth? Sort of? It's a weird one to describe.

"I can't really do magic sense stuff,"
she admits, ears swiveling this way and that under her illusion. "What are we looking for?"

Apparently they're looking up?
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Library
"Chanting, candles, weird lights?" Mary doesn't really know. But she can feel the right direction to go, so she heads directly for the stairs.
Is it a trick of the light or is she looking... Fuzzy? Like the hair on her arms and legs is particularly visible. It's probably nothing.
(It's something, but she hasn't noticed it herself. Khannie probably won't be affected. She's not attuned to the demonic power radiating from the malfunctioning ritual.)
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[At the Library!]

Khannie definitely isn't attuned to demonic energy.

She's attuned to ghostly energy!

And... normal?... energy? Or something? Normal type is really weird in terms of what it does and does not cover. Beastly energy? Feral energy? Something. Who knows! But if anything Khannie is most likely to notice changes in scent. Her vision is fine, but it isn't as sharp as her scent and hearing. Unless that fuzziness starts getting REALLY obvious there's a good chance she won't even catch it.

"Okay so basic arcane ritual? Will there be a spell circle or something?"
Khannie asks as she jogs along behind her friend. With her illusion so insubstantial at the moment it's VERY obvious that she isn't moving like a human might. She's moving like a zoroark. Even her giant mess of tails is poking out, clipping right through her clothing.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Endless Stair]

"I wouldn't worry about that. Your mum wouldn't let anything happen to him. And neither would those people that work directly under her; from what I hear, she's scary when she's mad." For the brief second that Tahara's saying the word "scary", her face splits open, the wriggling mass of roaches underneath the refuse forming a legion of voices as they roil around in a vaguely face-shaped blob for a moment before she knits her face back together and all is well again.

Tahara pats Lenny on the back and smiles. "Okay, so change of plan, then. Since we're probably not going to go directly into Skyside, in the foreseeable future, I suppose we'll have to take Lenny back with us, then." She shoots Mary a pre-emptive glare, just knowing she's going to object to that and making it very clear the trash witch won't be hearing out any objections.

"Right. Let's get a move on, then." She gives Lenny a gentle nudge back toward the way they came, sending him another empathic signal to explain the situation in the needed terms. He will see "food" everywhere, but he is not to eat any of it or else Tahara will be very cross with him... not to mention sad. Lenny doesn't want that, does he?

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Endless Stairs

"Makes it harder. Skyside's dangerous, but the Fairy Godfather knows Inside. We need to get him out somewhere safe, and Inside's the only place he won't stick out." Since seven foot tall squirrels usually attract a lot of attention. "I'm sure it'll be fine. He's never shown any interest in a bald ape-person like you, his last four boyfriends were squirrels. One before that was a mouse." Although Mat appears unaware that there's incubi in that court, too, and they can shapeshift.

She'll follow Tahara and Mary down, as does Fred. Lenny hesitates briefly but follows as well.

bc56

Post by bc56 »

Endless Stair
"Not as fine as you think," Mary says, in Mat's voice out of a copy of Mat's face. The change was surprisingly quick and seamless. The two are almost identical, only minor details differentiating them (even their clothes
but not anything that might be hidden thereby).
Mary's been practicing her shapeshifting.
She breaks composure almost immediately afterwards. "All this fur is so stuffy! How do you stand it?" She's got much more affinity to the reptilian side of life.

Either way though, she heads down with the others doesn't shift back right away. Her mum told her that she should stick with any new shape at least for a little while.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Library
As they climb the stairs, Mary is getting more and more fuzzy. Also hunched, and smaller. Pretty quickly she's climbing on all fours and having to put more effort in to cresting every step.
She smells different too. Like... Cat.
That's not too surprising, she owns a kitten, but obviously that kitten is not here. Given the increasing growth of black fur across her body, it's clear what's going on here.

For her part, Mary is biting back panic. She can feel her body changing and she has no control over it. This must be what her mum meant by the ritual messing with her powers. She tries to ask for help, but all that comes out is, "Mrowl. Meow."