PREP Highschool

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Re: PREP Highschool

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Dorm]

Asami rolls over, keeping his pillow over his face. "*sniff* You're missing the point here. Farmers, too, have to work to raise and milk the cow. And even beyond that, the milk has to be brought to the store where the employees there work to sell it to us. There's a lot of work that goes behind everything..." He manages to lethargically limp around and crawl towards Darko, laying besides him. "So, whatchu feelin' like doing today? Just chilling?" says Asami as he hangs an arm over the side of the bed.

Tags:
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Dorm

"Yeah, but the farmers still got paid for their milk. They probably don't care what happens to it as long as they make a living. Same with the employees and such," Darko points out reasonably. He reaches over to give Asami a comforting pat on the head. "I'm sure they'd all be very touched that you care."

Flopping back on the bed with a sigh, Darko stares at the ceiling. "I don't have any plans. Could study more but I really don't need to." A moment of silence. "Asami, why are people all so complicated? Being with the Wizards is easy, I know I can't understand them so I don't try. But I can't understand other kids either. I don't even understand you, really."

Nothing like a little existential crisis to take your mind off the milk.
horses can attack and eat me
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Dorm]

Asami wipes his nose on his bedsheet, using his wrist to dry his eyes. "'Cause we got shadows," Asami casually replies, "They're always gonna have an influence with us beneath the surface, like our personas. You gotta know that part of someone too to really understand them."

Asami sits upright, pulling a blanket towards himself. "Anyways, who do you think would win in a fight between Big Bird and Mr. Snuffleupagus?"
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Dorm

"Shadows? Like the Carl Jung thing? Huh." Darko hadn't expected Asami to make such a deep philosophical point. But it makes sense. "You might be right. Maybe I just need to understand my own shadow more. Thanks Asami."

Darko also sits up, looking a bit more cheerful than before. If a bit confused. "Well, I haven't met Mr. Snuffleupagus. Is he a teacher? But birds can be scary, especially big ones. So without more information my money's on the bird." He's about to say something else, but cuts himself off with a big yawn. Studying is tiring stuff.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Dorm]

Asami listens intently as Darko speaks, interested and amused by his words.

"Carl Jung?" Asami reiterates in confusion, tilting his head slightly. He has a curious look on his face as Darko yawns, which quickly fades into a squint of delightful drowsiness. Laid-back, Asami draws himself towards Darko and leans against his shoulder, restfully closing his eyes.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Dorm

In the past, Darko might have been uncomfortable sharing his personal space. But he's gotten more laid back since getting a roommate, and he's pretty tired himself.

"Oh, you weren't talking about him? He was this philosopher I think? And he said that everyone has a shadow self that's like their deep dark hidden emotions and stuff. I thought that's what you were talking about." Wait, did Asami mean actual physical shadows? How would that make any kind of sense?

Too complicated to think about. Maybe in the morning. Darko leans back against the wall, intending to just sit there and rest for a minute or so before getting ready for bed. But sleep is a dangerous thing, and unless he's further bothered, it will claim him before he realizes what's happening.

Without even brushing his teeth. For shame.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Vision]

Mary can be anywhere.
Still asleep.
In the middle of class.
Just waking up.
Talking to her friends or family.

It doesn't matter as the world around her seems to disappear nonetheless. Replaced by a landscape which seems to have burned itself into her memories. Since she instantly recognizes it despite that the colors are all different. Last time she saw the desolate desert the sky was orange and the sand red but now the sky is black and the sands seem to be blue.

The only exception is the sun, or what at least seems to be a sun which is a lone white ball against a total void of nothingness. Yet against the blue sand Mary can still make out the white bones of countless creatures of varying size. Some no larger than dogs while others seem to be large as buildings if not larger since she can only hint their true size as their remains have sunken deep into the sand.

Her attention then shifts to her feet as wherever she was standing before she can now feel it has been replaced by sand. Sand which now stirs beneath her just like last time. A creature of massive size.
Yet this time it does not emerge, not right away at least. She can only hint at its movements underneath the sand, much like a whale would move just underneath the surface before breaching it.

Then a head emerges just a few feet from her.
Only for her to realize that it's only a part of the creatures snout.
Then a voice.
Hoarse to the point of being unrecognizable yet she can still make out the words as they seem to be spoken directly into her mind.

Can you... hear me?
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Vision
Mary was just sitting in "Damsel in Distress" class. It's pretty boring honestly. She'd rather not be in distress, and knowing how to properly comport herself when locked in a cage and waiting for rescue doesn't interest her.

The sudden change of scenery was not something she was expecting.

"Woah! Where... What?" she struggles to keep her balance on the shifting sands.
Then something emerges... And it speaks to her.
This isn't the first time Mary's had a telepathic conversation; her mother sometimes uses it to communicate privately. But she still has to get herself in the right state of mind.
I can? What... Who are you? She's very confused, unsure of where she is or what's going on.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Dorms]

"Yeah, they live in the shadow world. Was Carl Jung a Persona-user?" Asami asks innocently.

Smiling at Darko, Asami mimics his restfulness, falling into one of the power naps she's known for.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

bc56 wrote: Apr 19, 2024 1:49 am Vision
Mary was just sitting in "Damsel in Distress" class. It's pretty boring honestly. She'd rather not be in distress, and knowing how to properly comport herself when locked in a cage and waiting for rescue doesn't interest her.

The sudden change of scenery was not something she was expecting.

"Woah! Where... What?" she struggles to keep her balance on the shifting sands.
Then something emerges... And it speaks to her.
This isn't the first time Mary's had a telepathic conversation; her mother sometimes uses it to communicate privately. But she still has to get herself in the right state of mind.
I can? What... Who are you? She's very confused, unsure of where she is or what's going on.
Vision

Before there's a reply the place she's found herself in start to impose upon Mary in more ways than just the feeling of sand against her boots. She's has been a lab before, she would know the nauseating scent of acid as it enters her nose.
Her first instinct might be that it's from the being she's talking to but while the scent has probably rubbed off on them it originates from the very air.

And that's when it might dawn on her depending on how much she's read up on science, there's no air here. Not one humans would find breathable at least. She's still breathing in the air of the class room (if she even needs breathing) yet everything else about this place seems to intrude upon her senses.

I have many names so why don't we use a short one? Attar. Is the reply as the nostrils of the creature suck in the lack of air again and again, struggling. Wheezing.
It sounds like hearing something drawing their final breaths except it just continues on.

What is yours? With its irregular breathing she can help but to hear the struggle in the creatures voice. Just speaking mentally like this must require focus.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Vision
Mary doesn't really have the presence of mind to pick out the fact that the air isn't breathable here. She doesn't need to breathe anyway, so a proper oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere is just as good as any other gas to her. She does wrinkle her nose a little at the smell.
I'm Mary, Mary replies. She feels sorry for Attar, now that she can see and hear it. Where am I?
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

[brackets lover] wrote: Mar 30, 2024 5:35 pm [The Arena]

"Small, huh? Ok, I'll try."

Asami approaches Skye, her form loose and flexible. She purposefully gets too close so that Skye can pull off a swift thrust to Asami's chest. Of course, if this happens, Asami will attempt to parry the blow by bringing her staff, held horizontally and with a wide blocking area, into the other staff and tilting it to add an impressive amount of force. This would put the momentum of Skye's staff out of her control and forced to the side by Asami. From here, Asami would move in and get within punching range of Skye.

If Skye doesn't strike in any way by the time Asami comes to parry, Asami will instead bring her left hand back on the staff and her right hand forward, driving one end swiftly towards Skye's shoulder.
[The Arena]

Skye smiles when Asami gets close, because she doesn't quite strike the way Asami is imagining she will. She doesn't punch, doesn't kick, doesn't even headbutt. Instead, she spins with the force, then steps forward slightly, putting them both too close together for either of them to either attack or stop a blow... and just uses her greater size to body check Asami. Huge curves may not have much utility in a fight, but they add a lot to Skye's weight even at her tall height, and the laws of physics say that the greater mass, combined with her velocity will knock Asami down, or at least back.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

[brackets lover] wrote: Apr 19, 2024 6:33 am [Dorms]

"Yeah, they live in the shadow world. Was Carl Jung a Persona-user?" Asami asks innocently.

Smiling at Darko, Asami mimics his restfulness, falling into one of the power naps she's known for.
Darko doesn't manage to answer the question before falling asleep. Which is just as well, since he would just have further questions of his own- like 'what's a Persona-user?'

But after a few minutes of rest, Darko suddenly sits bolt upright on the bed. The suddenness might be enough to wake Asami, and if it does she'll see that his eyes are still closed. A close examination will reveal that under the lids his eyeballs are twitching and rolling rapidly.

With stiff, jerky movements he slides to the floor and stands up, then reaches forward into the air as if grabbing something- and as he does, a strange object appears in his hands, materializing out of thin air. It's a dark brass in color, and looks like a traditional Thalia comedy mask, with a wide upturned grin and mismatched eyes. Still in the trance, Darko begins to lift it to his face, his own mouth curving into a matching smile.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

bc56 wrote: Apr 19, 2024 12:27 pm Vision
Mary doesn't really have the presence of mind to pick out the fact that the air isn't breathable here. She doesn't need to breathe anyway, so a proper oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere is just as good as any other gas to her. She does wrinkle her nose a little at the smell.
I'm Mary, Mary replies. She feels sorry for Attar, now that she can see and hear it. Where am I?
Vision

You are still safely in whatever reality this vision intruded upon you... Mary. This is just a glimpse into mine. I wish we could have spoken without it but that would have been too easy. 'Attar' explains with a hint of bitterness creeping into their voice.

So I'll try to be brief. I... am in desperate need of help to escape this place you see before you. It's a world of torture where I've been trapped for far too long. Death would be a mercy at this point yet even now I dare ask for more despite that I thought I'd resign myself to this cruel fate a long time ago.

It sounds like Attar has to take a break after speaking what must be a lot for them. Briefly the only sounds Mary can hear are just their wheezing irregular breaths as they struggle on with the conversation.

Something... something I realize is probably too much to ask given I've given you no reason to aid me beyond kindness.
Yet when I saw a glimpse of you I thought I had seen an savior and that was enough to lit a flame of hope in my foolish heart.

A beat.

I was supposed to be brief wasn't I? Apologies. Desperation and solitude must have done more to my manners than I realized.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Halae wrote: Apr 19, 2024 6:31 pm [The Arena]

Skye smiles when Asami gets close, because she doesn't quite strike the way Asami is imagining she will. She doesn't punch, doesn't kick, doesn't even headbutt. Instead, she spins with the force, then steps forward slightly, putting them both too close together for either of them to either attack or stop a blow... and just uses her greater size to body check Asami. Huge curves may not have much utility in a fight, but they add a lot to Skye's weight even at her tall height, and the laws of physics say that the greater mass, combined with her velocity will knock Asami down, or at least back.
[The Arena]

Of course, Skye's gambit is limited by Asami's staff be held at arm's length away, passively blocking wide hits. The smaller surface area makes the knockback less effective, too, I think.

Pressing the advantage, Asami quickly shoves Skye back with the staff, aiming to briefly daze. From here, Asami throws a left jab into Skye's abdomen, the act of holding the staff leading to a firmer fist.
quillpleasant wrote: Apr 20, 2024 4:56 am

Darko doesn't manage to answer the question before falling asleep. Which is just as well, since he would just have further questions of his own- like 'what's a Persona-user?'

But after a few minutes of rest, Darko suddenly sits bolt upright on the bed. The suddenness might be enough to wake Asami, and if it does she'll see that his eyes are still closed. A close examination will reveal that under the lids his eyeballs are twitching and rolling rapidly.

With stiff, jerky movements he slides to the floor and stands up, then reaches forward into the air as if grabbing something- and as he does, a strange object appears in his hands, materializing out of thin air. It's a dark brass in color, and looks like a traditional Thalia comedy mask, with a wide upturned grin and mismatched eyes. Still in the trance, Darko begins to lift it to his face, his own mouth curving into a matching smile.
[Dorms]

*Snore snore* "Guh- huh?" exclaims Asami as he jolts awake, turning to see Darko getting out of bed.

"Sen- pai?" stutters Asami, lethargically rolling to the edge of his bed. He has a brief look of seriousness on his face before yawning, letting an arm droop to the floor as he squints. Concerned but lazy, he keeps an unwatchful eye on Darko.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Vision
Mary looks conflicted. "I don't... How would I even do that?" Even though she does feel bad for Attar, she doesn't fully trust it. "I don't know where this is or how to open portals or anything."
Last edited by bc56 on Apr 23, 2024 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Dorms

Darko places the mask on his face, and then stands still for a moment. Then he lets out an uncharacteristic giggle and leans forward, hugging himself for a moment before silently whirling around to face the window and padding over towards it.

Before he makes it, he seems to realize that Asami is awake, and he freezes, looking at her. Behind the mask, his eyes are dark and impossible to read. Then he brings up a finger in a shh motion.

"Forget you saw this, okay? Don't tell me about it when I wake up. I don't want me to try to stop myself. Got it?" There's something strange about his voice- the rhythm of his speech is just slightly off, dreamy and soft, the way someone talks when they've been woken up in the middle of the night.
Artemis
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Artemis »

Earl of Purple wrote: Mar 19, 2024 2:08 pm Hunting Class

"There should be a rope. I can shoot that. Or, no offence Landon, I can use my magic to get up there quickly to push it down. That'd be quicker than climbing, especially since it's a greenhouse and glass is slippery." Although that would also require shooting things, and using her magic to boost the recoil of her pistol to double-jump.
[brackets lover] wrote: Mar 19, 2024 8:24 pm [Hunting Grounds]

The cat tilts his head. "Nyalright... That sounds easy enough. I'll stand around and make sure no one comes by while you do that."

There doesn't seem to be a rope.
[Hunting Class]

"Oh, Right." Landon blinks a bit, realizing he doesn't have to do everything himself. "Go for it." He steps back. "I'd love to see your magic at work."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Hunting Class

Agate smiles, and gestures as she transforms again, throwing her Soul Gem in the air and catching it. A slight glow is emitted by her hand, travelling down her arm, across her head, and then down the rest of her body, leaving her transformed in its wake. She's no longer in her uniform; instead, she's wearing yellow fingerless elbow-length gloves, a sleeveless yellow dress a lighter shade than the gloves, and a pair of tights that match her gloves. She's still wearing heavy boots, but they are cleaner now, and the laces are yellow. Her metallic copper hair has been set into a milkmaid's braid around her head. The soul gem is now in a pendant about her neck, and in the hand that remained by her side she holds a nine-chambered harmonica pistol.

"Right, here we go." Agate walks a short distance away, and then runs at the wall, jumping at nearly the last minute- and at the peak of her jump, she holds her pistol with both hands and fires it, the bang sounding oddly musical. The recoil of the gun impossibly aids her jump, propelling her further. She shoots twice more, the gunshots harmonising with each other and the echo of the first, and lands on the roof, where she drops into an elaborate bow to show off.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[brackets lover] wrote: Apr 23, 2024 12:39 am [The Arena]

Of course, Skye's gambit is limited by Asami's staff be held at arm's length away, passively blocking wide hits. The smaller surface area makes the knockback less effective, too, I think.

Pressing the advantage, Asami quickly shoves Skye back with the staff, aiming to briefly daze. From here, Asami throws a left jab into Skye's abdomen, the act of holding the staff leading to a firmer fist.
[The Arena]

The problem with punching with your weapon is that the whole weapon is there to be interacted with, and Skye focuses on that vulnerability here. She intends to catch Asami's weapon in her off hand, having let go of her own spear with it so that she could clinch the younger girl's weapon, and then swing her leg around under Asami's own. The intent, should it work, will be a trip with Skye controlling Asami's fall onto her back, the older girl holding her down from above. It's an exceedingly well-prepared move that would catch the vast majority of mortals off-guard.

Skye doesn't expect it to actually work, however. She expects Asami to somehow slip beyond her reach. And as such, as she's doing this, with just a touch of essence she's also thrusting her blunted spear forward, to catch a certain young woman as she attempts to dodge back.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Dorms]

"Uhh..." Asami says groggily, slowly slumping his legs around until they hover over the ground, stretching out and gradually getting up. He scratches the back of his head. "Well, I was gonna, but like, why would you even say that?" Asami heads to the sink of pours himself a glass of water, drinking it up as he looks towards Darko.

[The Arena]

Asami's eyes look a bit tired as she yawns in the middle of Skye's counter, just stepping over the leg sweep. As for the staff, Skye would be hard-pressed to control it with that kind of grip. As a finishing move, Asami spins the staff around Skye's hand and interlocks it with Skye's spear, tilting both so as to injure Skye's hand unless she lets go. Even if she didn't, the staff still provided a strong defensive stance for Asami, making striking with the spear pretty unviable.

[Hunting Class]

Agate successfully lands on the glass roof currently supporting an anvil. This was a poorly thought out plan. Predictably, cracks start to form in the glass before it gives way entirely, shards flying to the ground along with the anvil, which lands with a loud thonk.

Seeing as they weren't near the front door, the felyne gasps in shock and could only shout from the outside, "Are you okay, nya!?"
Artemis
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Artemis »

[Hunting Class]

"Agate!" Landon shouts when the roof of the green house starts cracking. Hopefully she doesn't fall with the anvil, but he's already running to open the front door. Hopefully it's not locked.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Hunting Class

Agate shrieks as she falls, dropping her pistol as she does so. The harmonica pistol disappears as it's dropped. "Ah, yeah! I'm fine, I'm tougher than I look, if you can just... let me out, yeah?" Agate's slightly injured, but the stone holding her soul mostly numbs her pain, and also provides faster healing, which combined with the steel-toed boots she's got on her feet ensure her minor cuts and scratches from the breaking glass heal almost before she hits the ground.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Dorm

Darko stares blankly at Asami as he gets a glass of water, seeing but not really seeing him. He tilts his head to the left.

"Haven't you heard the phrase, 'what you don't know can't hurt you?' Things are going well, and I've been so nice lately," he says, a little petulance creeping into his voice. "And I'll keep being nice, but if you tell me and I try to stop myself, then it'll make me very angry."

With a weird grinding sound, the mask shifts into a frown, eyebrows coming together. "You've already helped me out, so I can trust you, right?"
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Dorm]

Asami rubs his forehead, exasperated. "So, you're..." darko's 'magic'? What does he mean I helped him out? I've been helping Darko in general, sure. But this Darko? Hmm, the prophecy wizard guy did warn about letting him live in the dorms. Maybe this is what he meant? Okay, I can make this work. Sounds like he's been trying to be amicable, so I'll do the same.

After the brief pause, Asami shakes his head gently. "So long as there's no pressing need to tell you, I'll keep my silence. But, you can't guarantee the same from everyone who finds out. So, you're not completely off the hook," he says, tilting his head to the side tiredly, "And you can use the door, you know. Its not... that late, is it?" He scratches the back of his head, putting the other hand in a pocket. "So, where you going, anyways? Can I come with?"
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Dorm

There's no confirmation or denial on the identity of the speaker, but Darko's mask turns right back into a smile as Asami confirms that he doesn't immediately plan on narcing. "I knew I could count on you. It's always better when people help willingly, ya know?"

Seemingly satisfied, he steps back over to the window, opening it with a wave of his hand. "What's the fun in using a door?" he says with a chuckle, hopping up onto the sill, "And I'm not going anywhere in particular, just looking for some fun. You're welcome to come with if you can keep up." Crossing his arms in front of his chest like a mummy, Darko falls backwards out of the window.

Or at least, appears to. But should Asami look out after him, she'll see him walking backwards down the wall outside as if it was a completely horizontal surface.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Dorm]

"Fair enough," says Asami cheerfully, already standing on the grass below the window by the time he finishes talking. "Though I'm not so sure how much fun there is to be had around here. I think most of the people here are pretty boring. I like to focus on a few close friends, myself. Like you and Lex-chan!"

Asami's certainly in a vibrant mood this evening.

[Hunting Class]

The front door is, in fact, not locked. The cat and Landon rush in to see an unscathed Agate standing amidst the varied plant life. Just in front of her stood a vague and blurry rocky formation, barely noticable until it begins to rapidly grow in height far above one's line of sight. Consequently, its further behavior depends heavily on whether one decides to look up or not.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Dorm

Darko leisurely finishes walking down the wall, turning around so that by the time he reaches the ground he's facing forward again. He too seems to be in a good mood, although its hard to tell since his expression isn't changing.

"You're right, these people are boring. But that doesn't mean we can't have some fun. Come on, follow me!" He walks off across the darkened campus, moving with the uneven lurch of a sleepwalker. It appears that they're headed for the main hall that contains the cafeteria and school lockers.

As they walk, Darko rolls up his sleeves with a flourish. "Here, take these." From out of thin air he plucks a jar of blue powder, an unlabeled spray can, and a baseball bat. He's about to hand them over, but he hesitates, and then the three begin to slowly rotate in the air in front of the two kids.

"Actually, just pick one. It'll be more fun that way."
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Dorm -> Hallway]

Asami raises an eyebrow curiously at the presented items. Hmm, teenage mischief? That's a relief. Maybe there's a mundane cause here? Hypnotism or whatever. With an energetic smile, Asami takes the blue powder, looking it over analytically.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

bc56 wrote: Apr 23, 2024 2:37 am Vision
Mary looks conflicted. "I don't... How would I even do that?" Even though she does feel bad for Attar, she doesn't fully trust it. "I don't know where this is or how to open portals or anything."
Vision

"I must-" There's a pause as it sounds like Attar is struggling with something. For a moment their nostrils disappear underneath the earth before they burst out.

Fully.

Even in the oppressive lighting of a cold distant sun their scales still manage to catch the dying light.
For a moment illuminating the dead world with a golden glow.

A serpentine head crowned by horns similar to the ones of a goat. Three sets of horns, one at each side and a third one in the middle that looks like broken crown due to the damage they have sustained.

The neck supporting it is also reminiscent of a snakes though with a coat of fur coming out from the back. However, at this point is so matted and torn one can barely make out what color it once might have been. Now it just appear pure black.
The dragon looks down at her, their eyes gleaming a blue which intensity seems to be the only thing that has remained untouched by the environment.

"I must ask you this then, are you a dragon?"