Keeper's Homes, Forts, Estates and Places

Personal homes and private lots.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: Keeper's Homes, Forts, Estates and Places

Post by Keeper »

Jace's Place

Jace sighs into Veronica's mind as he drops his little voice trick in favor of his real one.
If it helps, I can't say I feel any different. I am happy but...I was also very happy for my entire life to be leaving this particular set of steps to someone else. I have NO idea how this all works. I was told anything could happen with unicorns. He could just appear or I could have to do actual mom things and I am just NOT ready to do those kinds of mom things.

He pauses, looking up at Veronica straight in the eyes. I just don't know what I'm supposed to be doing right now.
Wolfbane
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Wolfbane »

Jace's Place

Veronica's temper vanishes, her annoyance replaced by love and gentle forgiveness, and she leans forward to kiss his brow. "What you're supposed to be doing is what every pregnant person in the world should be doing. Relaxing." She insists. "We'll find you a blanket, get you to relax with some ice cream and a movie, go for a walk later, and come up with an actual legitimate plan to get you seen by someone who can tell us how to make sure you stay healthy. We don't know how this works, and we really don't want to risk anything, okay?"

"After that, we'll make an actual comfortable place for you to relax in and sleep in. Though I imagine that'll take some time to figure out. I don't care if you're a unicorn and probably have magic helping your health, but we are not taking that chance. Am I clear?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Jace's Place

"I'll have to keep in touch with Ingrid. She said she has a good idea of how it would work for her partner. But also that I would probably just do whatever I think I think I will do. So...please tell me that everything will be simple and easy and I won't have to do any of the things a mare would." He snorts. "Convincingly."

He glances about. He at least has the blanket covered. "You're very clear.
...you know, I really didn't think being a unicorn was going to be this complicated."
General Shrimp
Pronouns: He, Him

Post by General Shrimp »

Keeper wrote: Mar 12, 2024 9:07 pm Butterfly Bay

"Oh." Okay incense is fine if it's actually incense.
"That sounds fine. Though I don't think I own a drum. Well, I have an old video game set but those are fake instruments for games." It's definitely not even close to the same thing.
Butterfly Bay

"Huh. Well, I suppose it ain't all that common fer folks to just have drums lyin' around these days. More likely ta have guitars or somethin'. Ah, well I didn't think ta bring my drummin' kit with me, so I suppose that's somethin' fer next visit. And maybe a coupl'a other things too."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay

Codebreaker nods, sitting back down. Well, it sounds like they've worked out what they needed. And he managed to get Atreyu's thoughts out of the gutter.
Well, that's only mostly a positive. Codebreaker would admit to himself that he likes hearing he's handsome after all he's gone through.
"Alright, well anything you wanted to do while you're here, then?" he asks genially.
General Shrimp
Pronouns: He, Him

Post by General Shrimp »

Butterfly Bay

"Kid, my ideas of fun are drinkin' or smokin', and eyein' someone else up wherever I am, n' takin' 'em back ta my places after." Atreyu remarks with a grin. "Now by the sound of it, y'ain't much of th' drinkin' sort, and I reckon I'd get in trouble if'n I got carried away with th' euphoria in here. And, well, ya can tell it's takin' me effort not to let my thoughts stray too far." He leans back in his chair, taking a moment to refocus his thoughts on other things. "So maybe you oughta teach me some other, less troublesome ways ta have fun."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Butterfly bay]

If Codebreaker happens to have a phone with him, sometime around his discussion with Atreyu, he receives a call. It's not anyone who's previously called him, but the number is registered to VIGIL organization and possibly to Dr. Eun Jung-Bu.

If he picks it up, an over-excited, high-pitched voice, sounding like that of a little human girl, speaks: "Hello. Hello. Is this thing on? Is this a fat... sorry, big wolf-shaped person who delivered a broken thing to VIGIL base some time ago? Goes by alias 'Codebreaker'? We would like to talk about where you found it."
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Keeper wrote: Apr 09, 2024 3:29 am Jace's Place

"I'll have to keep in touch with Ingrid. She said she has a good idea of how it would work for her partner. But also that I would probably just do whatever I think I think I will do. So...please tell me that everything will be simple and easy and I won't have to do any of the things a mare would." He snorts. "Convincingly."

He glances about. He at least has the blanket covered. "You're very clear.
...you know, I really didn't think being a unicorn was going to be this complicated."
Jace's Place

Veronica leans up to kiss Jace's brow gently again, hugging him tight around the neck. "Everything will be simple and easy, Jace. Just don't think about it." She insists before letting go to look at Commissar. "And you. If Jace does anything stupid, or anything to make this worse, you have my permission to bite him." She turns again, glancing around the room. "And Zebes, I know you're listening, so you better make sure too or I'm really going to be vexed!" She declares, wings on her hips and a frown on her face. "Bah!" She exclaims, throwing her wings up into the air in feigned frustration and waves them around as if shooing out any bad luck.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay - Atreyu

"C'mon Atreyu, I refuse to believe that in all your years you've never had a friend who's spoken for."
Unless Atreyu is some sort of werewolf homewrecker?!
"And I drink plenty! I just stop before I get plastered because someone has to. Honestly I haven't gone to a bar in the day time in ages. Perils of dating a vampire." Codebreaker grins.
"And well, I would say that we could hit the bar for a bit or try my pool again, but I dunno if you're going to be able to contain yourself." He chuckles, though he does give a serious look.
"And look, I know it's awkward that I went and found somebody else. But really, thank you. I never really got many comments on my looks, and those dried up pretty immediately when I went and gained- well quite a few kilograms overnight. It's gotten better since I started working out and b helped me out with the rest. So I guess what I'm saying is that I obviously can't respond to it but don't feel too bad about thinking it. It's nice to hear it from more than one person."
He pauses again.
"But to be fair to Kyrie I probably shouldn't go out anywhere with you. Juuuuust to make sure he doesn't get the wrong idea before I talk to him about it." He'll have to sneak upstairs to avoid waking Kyrie and stick a note on the inside of the door that says 'friend is over don't panic.'

Butterfly Bay - Later

Codebreaker answers the phone pretty promptly.
"Hello. I can assure you that I am definitely fat and Codebreaker is my legal name. What do you need to know? I can't say I particularly understood much of that place. It was rather uniquely screwed up and I spent half my time there running for my life." Which was even worse since he had just taken over as Codebreaker and hadn't started working on his endurance yet.

Jace's Place

"Yes Ma'am." responds the houndour quietly, possibly reminding Veronica that he can talk if she had somehow forgotten.
Zebes replies quietly into Veronica's head. [Ingrid really did say that this will work exactly how he thinks it will work. So honestly we should avoid acting like he's all fragile and needy or even using the p-word too much or he's probably going to start feeling it. And then showing it. I'll try to make sure he doesn't do anything too stupid.]
Jace can absolutely tell that Zebes is probably talking about him but doesn't feel the need to pry.
"Now Veronica, it's not like I normally go out on the town drinking and doing irresponsible things. What do you think I was planning on doing tonight?" he asks her, the smarm starting to creep into his projected voice.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Butterfly bay - on the phone]

"You are? It is? Hey, sis! We finally found the right one!" It sounds like the girl is talking to someone else on her end. "When you say 'that place', you are talking about a pyramid-like structure, yes? Or at least it would look like that on the surface? So what was it like? Screwed up in what way? We haven't been there and they won't let us visit to see ourselves."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay - Phone

"Uh, pitch black, spooky as hell, constantly depicting all who entered it on the walls but also naked, full of ravenous beasts probably trying to kill me, and constantly trying to instruct me to shove a giant needle into my skull." He knows that he took something from it about when the angel-cat-lady was flying him around but it's all a bit of a blur now that he doesn't have a's blessing.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

"Huh. That doesn't sound good. That doesn't sound good at all", the girl says, "Especially these beasts. Why would there be any beasts? Can you be a little more specific?" Codebreaker may be exaggerating how interested those creatures were in him personally, but he did see a whole bunch of eyeless, hairless pale cave things fleeing with him before the pyramid in ice vanished in its entirety.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay - on the Phone

Being fair, CB couldn't see a thing, just hear and smell them, so it was pretty difficult to make out intent.
"Uuuh, hairless? Eyeless? Pretty normal stuff for critters living in the dark. I was grievously out of shape at the time and had a very basic gun so I wasn't exactly looking to investigate the swarm of potentially hostile creatures." He might have been panicking more than was warranted but also he could barely run twenty feet before being winded and was running on a potentially life-or-death time limit at the time.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[A Solution Near at Hand]

Great disaster has befallen the Vallarm home.

Khannie wanted to help.

She could do her part, right?

Her dad was still struck down with 'woe, handlessness be upon thee' and so she had volunteered to make the pancakes. She can use her human illusion (with her horn still sticking out of her forehead of course) and then she's gotta be able to pull this off, right? How hard could making pancakes possibly be? You've just gotta mix the right things and then put em on the griddle and flip em over part way through.

Easy.

Khannie frowns down at the blackened, lumpy abominations sitting in front of her, little bits of broken eggshell sticking out of them here and there.

What an unmitigated disaster.

The kitchen smells like burned pancake and there's a mess all over the counter AND the 'pancakes', if one could even call these heaps of failure pancakes, look utterly inedible.

Khannie heaves a dejected sigh.

"Maybe Commissar will eat them?" she mutters as she gazes upon her works and despairs.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Solution Near at Hand

At this point the door swings open and Jace returns from the Bluewood. Doing very important master-of-the-woods things and not frolicking around with his foal, no sir.
Jace's giant nose picks up the smell immediately. He groans quietly and trots up the ramp to the main level.
"...I take it you were trying to surprise us?" he asks quietly with the level tone of a parent trying not to go into a lecture but also trying to appreciate the attempt as he eyes the mess. At least that's something magic can help with.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Jace is met with a look of shame and defeat.

"...yeah," his daughter admits.

Her dad has been busy with Kit and he can't make pancakes ANYWAY so she figured she would come over and visit and help and... you know.

Stuff.

But instead she just made an inedible mess.

Ugh.

"I thought it would be cool."

But it wasn't.

It was lame.

It was lame because you thought you could do it yourself without any help, Khannie.

You do that too much. You don't have to do everything on your own. That's what handy family like Zebes are for. But-

"Zebes has been making breakfast all the time and maybe I could give him a break, right? But I kinda suck at this."

Don't worry, Khannie.

Sucking at something is just the first step to being kind of okay at something.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

"Huh. That's very weird. I don't think that building is really meant to be dark. But presence of such creatures suggests it has been dark for, like, a really long time." Abandoned buildings don't get filled by cave-dwellers overnight, after all. "Hmmm? What is it now, sis? Oh! We forgot to introduce ourselves, didn't we? My name's the Second Lightbearer and my sister's the First. Long story reeaaally short, we were made of that broken device you recovered. We're kinda like Lanterns meant to illuminate that building, but not really. We thought it would be fun to let you know."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Solution Near at Hand

Jace gives a wave of his horn and the counter starts to clean itself. Luckily prestidigitation can clean a 5-foot square of space in just a few seconds.
"Khannie. You are a sorceress, a wizard, a magical craftswoman, a martial artist, a superhero, and somehow a mostly A-student. It is quite alright to have something you're not an expert at." He snorts with amusement.
"And if you don't think so give it a year tops and you'll probably figure it out."

Butterfly Bay - Phone

"Oh." Codebreaker doesn't know how to respond to that. Clearly their lantern function wasn't working at the time. But why would you make a light source sapient? Does that make them anything? Are they going to tell him he did a bad job taking apart that machine?
"I hope I didn't do anything wrong when I did...all of that. I was using a power I don't have anymore so I can't really even remember what actually happened with it."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Solution Near At Hand]

There's another possibility, Jace. One Zebes might appreciate more.

Khannie is so minmaxed that she MUST have some things she's catastrophically terrible at. The universe just couldn't abide her otherwise.

She also replies with a humorously horse-y sounding snort, though it's more one of exasperation.

"I guess..." she admits begrudgingly. "It just sucks that you can't do a whole lotta stuff you like anymore cuz you haven't got any hands. But I do and it's just easy. It isn't fair. I wish there was some way to change that."

The wish hangs heacy in the air like a whole hastily eaten chocolate cake hangs in the stomach; sweet, foolish, and a little bit nauseating.

But nothing happens.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Solution Near at Hand

Jace glances around for a moment, but no one appears. Good.
"Well, Khannie. I would certainly like to have hands when I need them. And now that I'm not carrying your brother I can actually look into it. Though I also don't know really where to start on that one."
Jace doesn't really want a pair of magically floating hands, because that doesn't really have the same emotional expression of actually being able to hug your children and other fatherly activities. Even if they would suffice on the practical side. But he couldn't look at anything even resembling shapeshifting with a foal on the way.
Speaking of, Kit has trotted in after his papa and immediately fallen asleep on the couch.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Solution Near At Hand]

Khannie takes some vital time out of her busy complaining to make fawning noises over Kit.

Because that's just what she has to do.

She wouldn't be a responsible big sis otherwise.

"I mean, there's gotta be some sorta solution, right? You got me thumbs for my paws when I was a pokemon so maybe something like that could work?" she wonders aloud.

In truth, probably not. Jace's dubious physical existence would no doubt erase such a SCIENCE! based solution.

"Or, OH! What about, like, robot gloves you wear over your hooves? There's this one kid at my school that's quarter equestrian I think?"

Would that make him a quarter-horse?

"And one of his hands is a hoof so he wears this glove thingy," Khannie explains, wiggling the fingers on one hand by way of demonstration.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Solution Near at Hand

"Is he well-to-do? I met someone like that when I first came to the Nexus. Her name was Ace. Probably still is. Had a large mansion if I recall."
Jace does glance down at the floor and his hooves.
"Even if I had gauntlets for my front hooves, my legs don't really bend properly to use them. I'd really have to figure out how to be on two legs as well." And that is a little bit more complex than just putting on a glove.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"I mean I guess?" Khannie replies, not totally sure how to decide if someone is well to do. There are a ton of weirdos at PREP. He's just another guy.

But then an important point is raised!

"Oh. Right. You can't bend like an equestrian. So that isn't gunna work."

Beans.

That was a cool idea, too.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Solution Near at Hand

When you're made of marshmallows you can lift your hoof forward to look at it and what it's magically holding. Regularly-proportioned equines cannot.

"It was a good idea, Khannie. I just don't quite have the equestrian flexibility to pull that off. Or the pega-satyr build that Ace has." He's a little disappointed they didn't keep in touch. She was nice.
"I'm sure we can come up with something else, though."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Khannie would object to being described as made of marshmallows. She's made of regular person stuff!

...okay technically she's made of some weird shadow analog to flesh since she's primarily a spiritual creature but whatever. That's basically normal person stuff.

"It's lame that you can't just do illusion stuff like me. And you haven't even got unicorn levitation. It isn't fair," Khannie huffs. "I guess I'm just lucky I sorta inherited equestrian stuff from Fortuna."

But that doesn't really help them, does it?

Just adding hands isn't gunna do anything. Her dad hasn't got the right joints for em. What he needs is some sorta transmutation but Khannie's garbage at those.

"There's lots of smart people at VIGIL, right? Have you asked anyone there?" Khannie asks.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Solution Near at Hand

"Well, I have mage hand which is...similar? I admit I don't know a lot of unicorns. And that's one thing Geneva doesn't have save for the year-ish she and Fortuna were one person."
He still remembers how excited she was when she told him she could do unicorn magic without a synthetic horn helmet.
"Well, this isn't Geneva's thing. And the other smart people are well...more sciency. And unicorns don't really mesh with that."