SPOOKTOBER 2022: TERROR AT PHOENIX LAKE

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: SPOOKTOBER 2022: TERROR AT PHOENIX LAKE

Post by bc56 »

Foxes and Ghosts
"Oh that's cute!" Jade comments, "I didn't expect ears either, I guess they're a bonus?" She does notice the difference in scent, but doesn't think anything of it. Of course adding fox parts would make someone smell like fox. "I don't know? It might be common to all foxes. Or just the specific type of fox I am? I'd hypothesize that having the tail lets you borrow some of my foxishness."
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Foxes and Ghosts]

"Weird ears aren't a bonus," Khannie says, now feeling at the ears with her hands. "No offense."

Ugh.

Weird.

Definitely weird.

Well, at least she got to see the ghosts right? That's pretty spooky!

But they're just sort of...

Going around doing people things? Like normal people things. Except as ghosts.

Honestly Khannie wasn't sure what she was expecting here.

"Okay science happened so how do I get this thing off?" she asks, tugging at the tail.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Foxes and Ghosts
"Just pull? It worked for me." Jade doesn't know if there's a trick to it. As far as she knows, just pulling hard will work.

But it won't. The tail and ears remain firmly attached to Khannie's body (illusory though it may be). Uh oh.
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

[Robots, Ghouls, Trainers and Schools]

Atsede looks between all three of her companions as they describe apple-bobbing to her. In particular, she squints suspiciously at Eliseo. "What, just like, bite into em and scoop em out? Sounds easy. Even without fangs." The changeling stated rather confidently.

She followed Anastasia over to the apple-bobbing area. Once there, she didn't exactly seemed inclined to wait. She looked over at where another few kids were trying it, and noted what they were doing. "So no hands right, I just lean down and-" she leaned over the barrel with her hands behind her back, intending to bite into a juicy red apple before her and flick up again triumphantly. Instead, however, she found the apple rather elusive. She frowned while her face brushed the water with nothing to show. It had looked easy.
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Foxes and Ghosts]

Just pull.

Sure, Khannie can do that.

She grabs the tail and pulls. Then pulls harder.

"Ooww ooww oww it isn't working," she says through clenched teeth.

Now would probably be a great time for Jason to say 'I told you so'.

"I can't keep this thing!"
she says, starting to panic a bit, her breathing ramping up. "I'm not a fox I don't need MORE not human things!"

She already has one more tail than she wants! She doesn't need TWO!
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Foxes and Ghosts
Okay, something's wrong. Jade didn't want this to happen. "What? No, we'll get it off." Jade doesn't think being a fox is that bad, but she's biased. "Let me see, maybe you're just not pulling hard enough." It's tough to get leverage when pulling on something behind you.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Foxes and Ghosts]

Of course Jade doesn't think being a fox is bad she's one already.

Khannie turns around, swishing the bushy fox tail back and forth. "Just get it off, okay?"

Ugh.

This was such a dumb idea.

Why did she do something so dumb?
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Foxes and Ghosts
Jade grasps the base of the tail and leans backwards, pulling hard.
There's a pop and she tumbles over backwards. But somehow, Khannie is still betailed, even though Jade is still holding the tail."What the..?" Of all the things that could have happened, that was not high on the list of expectations.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Foxes and Ghosts]

Khannie, of course, topples FORWARD when all of this transpires. She was already leaning and the suddenly lack of counter-weight sends her "Uuf!"ing straight into the dirt.

She sputters a bit, rising to her hands and knees. "I felt it come off why's it still feel like it's back there?"

A quick look reveals that the reason it still feels like it's back there is because the fox tail is still back there.

In spite of it being in Jade's hands at the moment.

Just to make sure it isn't some kind of ghost tail Khannie reaches back and gives it a yank again, biting back a very foxy yip of pain in the process. Okay. Quick summery. She put on the tail. The tail also gave her fox ears (for some reason). The tail was removed. But in spite of the tail being removed there's still a tail.

Clearly there's some kind of weird magic going on here.

Khannie can feel a roiling bundle of emotion welling up and she does her best to fight it back down. "How am I supposed to GET this thing OFF!? I don't want a fox tail!"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Foxes and Ghosts

"I have no idea what's wrong," Jade confirms. "We'll figure it out, don't worry " One of the ghosts brandishes a spectral knife. Jade ignores him. "Plan B: I lose my magic when I get submerged in water. We can try tossing you in the lake?" It's worth a shot, right?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Foxes and Ghosts]

Oh no.

Cutting it off definitely isn't a great plan.

Khannie isn't sure how real the tail is but that definitely doesn't sound like the thing to do.

Come on Khannie, breath. Think. Options.

"Umm... let me try something," Khannie says as she shucks off her costume and sets it on a bench nearby and then-!

POOF!

The little girl vanishes in a cloud of glittering sparkly wing dust, revealing a faewild dragon below! One who is very notably lacking in fox ears and a fox tail. She even cranes her neck to check. "...okay I got my regular tail back. Now I'll just-"

The cloud of glitter hanging around her goes ZOOP!ing straight back in and the little girl is back!

Who still has fox ears and fox tail.

"Ugh. Okay. Let's try your idea."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Foxes and Ghosts
It isn't far to the lake. Jade points out into the water. "If you just get in deep enough that you can go completely under, it should negate it." Will it work? Jade thinks it will, but she's been shown to have no clue how her magic works.
If Jade were thrown into the lake, she'd lose her powers and become stuck as an ordinary fox until she dried off.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Foxes and Ghosts]

"This had better not make me turn into a regular fox," Khannie grouses, remembering well what happened to Jade that one time she got dunked in a pool when Legion was causing trouble.

Being stuck as a regular fox for ANY length of time is definitely way worse than being stuck with just a goofy tail for a bit.

Ugh.

This is going to be cold.

There should be towels in the boat house so it'll probably be fine, right? Just run in, dunk herself, run out and probably be fine.

Probably.

Probably everything will be okay.

"Seriously if this turns me into a fox imma bite you."

She takes a deep breath, wades out into the water, and dunks herself.

And doesn't pop back up right away.

Instead there's some splashing and distressed fox noises shortly before a soaking wet, bedraggled looking adolescent red fox comes slogging out of the water, stalks right up to Jade, and tries to bite her on the ankle.

Not a full force bite, but nothing gentle either.

Khannie is, understandably, pretty mad.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Gals With Guns]

"Shadowrunner? Is that a kind of mercenary?" Olvisin's ears perk up. She was right, Cassidy does have the look of a rough action type. "You called yourself an adept before, too."

Iknika leans in herself and attempts to catch one of the apples herself, with verve and energy that seem to permeate most things she does. After some fumbling she manages to wedge an apple onto her tusks. She turns to the other three and, unable to speak, raises both her thumbs up.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Foxes and Ghosts
"Khannie?" Jade asks, "Yipe!" She hops on one foot for a moment before rubbing her ankle. "I probably deserved that. Let's get you warmed up and dried off." Without waiting for any reply, she scoops up the fox into her arms and carries it over to the fire pit. "Get towels," she says to Jason. He does. The fox will quickly find itself swaddled in towels and lying by the fire.
"Sorry about that. Last time I accidentally gave someone a tail and ears, that worked to get rid of it. I have no idea what's going on this time."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Foxes and Ghosts]

Khannie is scooped!

She makes some plaintive growling snarly noises at Jade as she's bundled up in a towel and carried away to the fire pit, but otherwise doesn't try to stop Jade and Jason from drying her off.

Khannie half hears Jade's apology.

This has happened before and soaking the person fixed them. So what's different this time?

Did Jade offer a tail last time?

From the way they were describing it Khannie would guess no. They didn't seem to know what would happen and if they had done this before then they should have known.

Maybe something different about the person?

Khannie wasn't foxy when she shed her illusion, so it didn't seem like it went deeper than that. But after getting doused the illusion feels...

At once more and less solid. It feels like she's stuck. Maybe until she dries off. Is it interacting with her own magic somehow?

Eventually she dries off and DOOP! human girl with fox ears and tails again. Yes. Tails. As in plural. As in two. That's concerning, probably.

"Okay kinda sorry not sorry about biting you," she says as seriously as she can muster. "This has gotta be your fox magic playing weird with my shadow illusions. How does your magic stuff work?"

Khannie is probably going to be really disappointed with the answer.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Foxes and Ghosts
"Erm..." Jade looks awkward, "I have no idea." She's an engineer, not a magician. "But you have two tails now, so, hypothetically, it seems to be getting worse." Is that because of time or because of how they failed to remove it? Jade isn't sure. "What else could we try? Iron works against Kumihos, but I don't think we want to stab you with a screwdriver." That seems like a Bad Idea.
Ember
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Ember »

[Gals With Guns]

"Yeah, something like that. There's like twenty different kinds of mercenaries where I'm from." Really, the term was more for the exact kind of work that Cassidy did back home, and the kind of people she tended to work for. "Oh, yeah, that means something waaay different back home. See, we've got wiz tech and chrome, same as you and your arms. But we've got magic and wizards too. An adept is someone who's got magic in their body without casting rituals and such. Like me." It explained why she didn't have much of any tech - it meant she would be giving up that magic.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Foxes and Ghosts]

Oh yeah.

Khannie's anger and frustration just ticked up a notch or two.

"What do you MEAN you have no idea? You're just using magic without knowing how it works or what it does?" Khannie retorts, her fox-ears laid back and her TWO tails lashing. "You gave me this dumb butt dust-sweeper without knowing what it would do AT ALL!?"

This is followed with an inarticulate "AAAUGH!" as she buries her face in her hands.

These are not ANY of the words she was wanting to hear from Jade.

"Do YOU know how it works, at least?"
she asks, jerking a finger at Jason.

At the mention of it getting worse she glances back and spies-
-yep.

Two of them. It FELT like there were more.

Swell.

"I'm not getting stabbed with anything,"
Khannie says, quite adamant on that point. "If I get stabbed to death dad would kill me."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Foxes and Ghosts
Jason shakes his head. Jade looks increasingly apologetic. "I haven't been like this that long. Sometimes I just get feelings that if I do something, something else will happen." In other words, she's just guessing. "I hate magic. It's never straightforward."
They need to figure out some alternate cure for fox.
But what?
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Arkhosia wrote: Oct 18, 2022 2:37 am [Robots, Ghouls, Trainers and Schools]

Anastasia sighs, but seems to accept her apology. "Okay." When Eliseo moves in she leans gently into her boyfriend's arm, appreciating the physical contact - and then notes the cheeky look he gives her with slight confusion. What was he conspiring?

"I mean, I guess I have a bit of one too. Not like, as impressive as yours though." To prove her point, Ana smiles herself, showing off a pair of short vulpine fangs on both the top and bottom row. "And yeah! It's pretty fun - basically they put a bunch of apples in a tub of water, and you have to get one out with just your mouth,"

As the kitsune explains it all, she leads the group over to a large circular plastic container filled near-to-the-brim with water. There's a variety of apples in all sorts of colors floating around in the tub, from pink lady and McIntosh red to granny smith green and golden delicious.
Meowmai wrote: Oct 19, 2022 8:05 am [Robots, Ghouls, Trainers and Schools]

Atsede looks between all three of her companions as they describe apple-bobbing to her. In particular, she squints suspiciously at Eliseo. "What, just like, bite into em and scoop em out? Sounds easy. Even without fangs." The changeling stated rather confidently.

She followed Anastasia over to the apple-bobbing area. Once there, she didn't exactly seemed inclined to wait. She looked over at where another few kids were trying it, and noted what they were doing. "So no hands right, I just lean down and-" she leaned over the barrel with her hands behind her back, intending to bite into a juicy red apple before her and flick up again triumphantly. Instead, however, she found the apple rather elusive. She frowned while her face brushed the water with nothing to show. It had looked easy.
Morty wrote: Oct 19, 2022 11:11 pm [Robots, Ghouls, Trainers and Schools]

Iknika leans in herself and attempts to catch one of the apples herself, with verve and energy that seem to permeate most things she does. After some fumbling she manages to wedge an apple onto her tusks. She turns to the other three and, unable to speak, raises both her thumbs up.

Eliseo positions himself behind Atsede once they're at the barrel. He gives Ana a wide grin. "You almost had it. Keep trying." He encourages. The next time Atsede's head bobs down, though, Eliseo reaches over her and gives the back of her head a little extra downward momentum.
~Images by Soushiyo
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Foxes and Ghosts]

He doesn't know anything either?

Lame.

Totally lame.

Khannie wrinkles up her nose in exasperation. "Magic is totally straight forward you just need to know what sorta kind it is and what you can't do with it."

Really.

She can't believe this at all.

"I guess I have to figure out how your dumb fox magic works, then," Khannie grumbles as she closes her eyes, her tails flopping around erratically. "Okay yeah this is something totally different. It's all tangled up with my shadow illusion. It's like..."

Her eyes pop open again, almost in shock.

"Your magic's a thing. Like... like my sorcery lets me convince shadows to do stuff for me I can... you know... I have influence I can use. Like convincing people to do stuff? But whatever your magic is it isn't lots of little things it's one thing. One thing that wants... something? I dunno what."

The girl looks thoughtful, then closes her eyes again. "It feels all mushed together. Where did you GET this from?"

She obviously had to have gotten it from somewhere.

It doesn't feel at all like any sort of magic Khannie has poked at before.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Foxes and Ghosts
"That's a really long story," Jade replies. "It's one thing, you said?" That's weird. "Because I think it comes from a lot of different places." One might guess that there are 3 or 4 different magics tangled up in Jade's... thing, but they've been jammed together in so many different ways over time that they've sort of melted into one. "Do you have any idea what it might want? Maybe we could trade it something to get those tails off of you?" Doubtful. It wants things only in a very metaphorical sense - an anthropomorphization of its nature. It can't really be reasoned with. But maybe if its nature were somehow aligned with releasing Khannie it would?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Foxes and Ghosts]

"It's one thing like a cake," Khannie clarifies. "Cakes are made outta lots of stuff but once you bake it you've just got a cake. The eggs and sugar and milk and flour stuff are used up for cake making."

The feels like the best analogy to her. It isn't like the shadows. They're lots of things but they're the same sort of thing. Whatever Jade's magic is, it's lots of different sorts of things that are ONE thing.

"I don't..." Khannie opens her eyes again, her gaze flicking to the fire. "Sorcery isn't like that. You don't make deals that's what warlocks do 'cuz you aren't working with powers that know things. It isn't like making a contract it's like... like convincing a crowd. Or making them dance."

Hmm... maybe...

"There's two sorts of magic I know a lot about. And one I know a little about. I know sorcery and wizardry. Influence and formulas. And I know a little about the prayer magic from Inari's. And your magic feels most like sorcery. There's no equations or spell formulas. And there's no person to ask for things or make deals with. So this is something you've gotta sway."

Khannie isn't sure if this is making any sense.

"I don't think it really wants anything? Like how the fire-" she points at the fire pit. "-doesn't want to burn stuff. But it burns stuff anyway. I dunno what the nature of your magic is to do I'm not familiar with it like I am with shadows so I dunno how I would influence it. I would need to know it better first."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Foxes and Ghosts
Most of that only barely makes sense. Jade has no idea what Khannie means by swaying her magic. If it's not a person, how could it be swayed?
"You're in a good position to get more familiar with it, but I don't think you want that," Jade reasons, "We don't know what causes the tails to multiply or what happens when they reach 9." Since she has 9 tails, she's guessing that's the upper limit. It might not be. Maybe if they can't cure it, Khannie will end up a gigantic tangle of tails with a girl stuck to them.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Foxes and Ghosts]

Same way you sway fire to burn what you want, or water to flow where you wish, or wind to turn what you desire, or shadows to lend you their shade. You have to know its nature and how to influence it.

"Well someone has gotta figure out how it works so I can get rid of it,"
Khannie retorts. "We don't know what causes more tails to grow but it only happened after I got wet and dried off. I dunno maybe that's just a coincidence but I don't think that's right. Maybe I just stay out of the water and I'm fine."

Which would be okay with her.

She doesn't like getting her wings wet and this makes the not getting wet thing even MORE important.

Then?

Considering.

"There's something here kinda like my shadow illusions but different. Can you do illusions?"

That's a place to start.

Something familiar.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Foxes and Ghosts
"Used to be able to," Jade answers, "But stuff happened." She hasn't made an illusion since being de-kumiho'd. "I can't manage nearly the amount of power or control I once had." While that's unfortunate, it much outweighs the downsides of being a kumiho.
Now she's aware that she can pull up an echo of her kumiho-self. She almost did it once. But it seems like a bad idea.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Foxes and Ghosts]

A bad idea, yes. The worst idea Jade has acted on? Probably not.

However!

Used to but don't know how anymore sounds like... well. Khannie really isn't sure if she has much context for something like that. Being good at something and then you just aren't anymore? The closest thing she can think of is losing the magical girl magic. But that was because something about HER changed. Maybe something happened to Jade?

Like the poorly defined stuff.

"Well I do illusions all the time," Khannie says as she whispers under her breath, the dancing shadows cast by the firelight bending toward her. and swirling into her cupped hands like a billowing mass of ink diffusing through water. "But whatever your magic is, its for doing them... different? It feels almost like-"

A feeling, warm and deep and peaceful. Visions. Flashes of color and sensation.

"-kind of like dreaming?"

She nudges at it. Calms her thoughts. Thinks on emptiness as if she were falling asleep.

A tongue of blue foxfire licks across the shadow orb.

That gets her knitting her brow in confusion.

"I remember you did this that one time with the... bad guy. The blue fire thingy."

The girl wrinkles her nose at it.

"This stuff's an illusion, too."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Foxes and Ghosts
"Yeah." Jade lets a couple tongues of foxfire dance across her fingertips. It's about the only magic she can still do besides turning into a fox. "But it'll still burn things." She shrugs. "Yeah, it's like a dream. Everything from back then feels like a dream." It really was a dream in waking life, so that's unsurprising.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Foxes and Ghosts]

Khannie's suspicion is confirmed! This magic is almost all illusions. It's dreams super-imposed over reality.

Her magic involves taking some real but ephemeral and giving it substance. Jade's magic isn't like that at all. It's taking something that ISN'T real and convincing yourself, the world, and everyone else that it IS. It's nature is really simple.

It wants to be believed.

Stretching out her hands, Khannie simply believes it. And in believing it she makes it manifest. Little branches unfurl from the benches around the fireplace, their tips bursting with delicate white blossoms that fill the air with a heady, sweet scent. Touching them gives all the sensations of a real object, but in truth there's nothing there. Khannie can feel it out pretty well. It isn't any good for making solid things like her shadow illusions are, but it has a reach and depth that she's having trouble finding the edges of.

"This magic is really easy; it WANTS to be used you've just gotta believe in it," Khannie says. "But... you don't really believe in it, do you? You think magic's dumb and so that's how its worked for you. Dumb sputtery things."

Verbal smackdown from the teen.

Jade shouldn't feel too bad.

Khannie has been doing sorcery since she was very young AND she's had formal schooling in it for over half her life.

Jade MIGHT feel bad about tail number three unfurling behind the girl as her fox-fur begins taking on a silvery white coloration.