Midnight Park

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: Midnight Park

Post by Keeper »

The Princess' Court

Jim steps up, though she flinches a bit at the gaze. Under Sunder's gaze, the satyr's true self is shown. The smiling, cheerful toymaker, the musician, and the illusionist. The one who adores Jaahlyn and supports his master as best he can. Around his neck is the mask he was given. It was something else once, but it has been twisted into something else: the most unflattering possible interpretation of a dairy cow. Vapid, nosy, docile, and obedient, fattened by humans and willing to be used. The mask as originally intended was for Jim to use but the mask was stretched and pulled over onto Jim's true self by his own hand under the influence of fey magics. Thus, the curse is less an ongoing enchantment on him and something that he was forced to do to himself.

The satyr underneath the mask is still stubbornly most of his own identity. The trick was intended to force it entirely into the cow-mask's identity but his sense of self proved a bit too stubborn to collapse entirely under the paltry insults the woku threw at him. The cow averts her eyes from Sunder's gaze, but the satyr would meet it if it not for the cow's influence.

Tags:
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

The Princess' Court

Jaahlyn makes a bow and backs away a bit as the princess attention is focused on Jim.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[The Princess' Court]

My.

What a tidy mess this one is.

Sunder stands from her throne, scrutinizing Jim carefully. Some kind of... not a transformation. Not exactly. More like being possessed by another spirit. Or something like it.

This will take some force to dislodge.

"Stand still. This will not be pleasant," the Princess says as she turns her back to Jim and aims a buck dead center at his collarbone.

The kick won't hit the satyr.

But it WILL hit the mask, either violently expelling it and utterly shattering its hold on Jim or otherwise obliterating it completely.

Sunder's special talent is, after all, breaking things. And breaking chains that bind most of all.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Rebonack wrote: Dec 12, 2023 11:30 pm
[Hag Ridden]

"You could get a stylus for it? That helps with the hooves, " Khannie helpfully suggests. "Or I guess I could just swing by again? Umm..."

She glances around somewhat theatrically.

"Where are we again? The dream trick just brought me to you. It didn't tell me where you were."

A downside to be sure.
[Hag Ridden]

"I tried that. It did not work." Salt grimaces. "...That might partially be due to my unfamiliarity with telekinesis, but it was... um..."

"About three inches into the wall." Arne snickers. "Thankfully, the phone itself was undamaged."

"Look, you try manipulating two different objects at the same time with nothing but pushing, pulling, and a rough idea of how far they're supposed to be from your head." Salt grouses, crossing her hooves and looking away.

"...I'm sure it will come with practice. Lunamancy was not especially intuitive, either."

"...Yeah, probably." The kirin reluctantly agrees. "...Sorry. Bit of a digression. Right now, we're currently sitting in [street address]. If you come in the normal way, that'll be two right turns, straight through the intersection, and a left. If you hit the apple barn, you've gone too far and need to turn around; trying again from the central square usually works."

"I can walk you out, if you would like." Arne offers. "That would take out most of the guesswork."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Midnight Park

Jim falls to the floor, stunned but very much himself. Jay was only ever a mask; not a separate entity. She would have remained a simple thing for him and Jaahlyn to play with without the Woku's interference. Thus she cannot exist outside of him.
That means Jaahlyn doesn't have a boyfriend who can be an attractive vettir lady on demand anymore. Sad!

She's probably more concerned about Jim groaning on the floor. Those clothes definitely don't fit him anymore either.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[The Princess' Court]

Jaahlyn runs up to Jim's side as he falls to the floor and will knees down before him and offer a hand. "You okay? The mask, it's gone." She suspected both of them had expected this thing to happen though.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Princess' Court]

The Princess has already settled back onto her throne to watch the show dispassionately. Ponies are whispering back and forth to each other excitedly.

It isn't often someone gets a royal horseshoe to the face.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Princess’ Court

Jim sits up and takes her hand.
”Wow, that was even faster than you said.”
He seems pretty impressed. Jim fusses with the robe as best he can to get it adequately around him before bowing
”Thanks, Your Highness. The ape that cursed me is still around but uh. Hopefully she won’t be coming back.”
He feels like Sunder deserves to know that there is a slim but nonzero chance of him needing her help multiple times.
But he also doesn’t want to admit in a public space he’s planning on tricking her.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

The Princess’ Court

"One punch is usually enough. Never seen anything require too." Jaahlyn remarks as she offers her hand to help Jim up.
She smiles widely once they're face to face. "But now..."
The satyr wraps her arms around him and will give him a long kiss.

However, as the two teenagers are distracted with one another Sunder might notice something laying on the ground not far from Jim.

It looks like a white mask. A very simple one. Nothing but two holes in it for eyes and nothing else.
However, should she or anyone approach it they will notice that it isn't made of paper.
It's paradoxically made of snow.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Princess' Court]

The Princess inclines her head slightly, acknowledging the thanks. She doesn't reveal in it, though, since that would be unseemly. While the pair are busy with more important matters the Princess' one good eye falls upon the mask and narrows.

"Kiln?" she says, raising her voice just enough for it to carry through the court.

A few moments later a brick red kirin steps forward. Given the royal chief mason's expression he's aware of what's going on. "Your Serene Highness?"

"See to it that mask is disposed of. The typical precautions for dangerous artifacts," Sunder says.

The kirin nods and approaches the mask, lighting his single antler with magic.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Princess’ Court

Jim returns the kiss. Maybe a little more than they should in public but he’s had a long day being a cow okay?

As Sunder starts talking Jim finally notices the mask and raises an eyebrow.
”Just a second, your Highness. Jaahlyn, do you know what that is? It doesn’t…seem like what Jay’s would be. Either version of her.” Hers would likely have been made of plant material. He knows that for some reason.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

The Princess’ Court

Jaahlyn seems to have enjoyed the experience thoroughly, especially as Jim was so receptive to the kiss.
But her attention was quickly diverted when Sunder raised her voice.

Like Jim, she soon noticed what she was talking about.

"It's empty." A rather brief explanation to Jim's question. "The mask I mean." She adds after a moment but soon feels even that is a bit shortcoming. "As in, her Highness must have punched out the identity inside it. Leaving it little more than a shell."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Princess' Court]

Kiln doesn't pause when Jim says 'just a second'.

Mostly because the Princess gave a command and he's going to follow it and because Jim holds zero authority in the royal court.

The mask will be scooped up and whisked away to parts unknown. Maybe some kind of protected vault where magical artifacts are kept safe from the outside world? Why would she assign the task to the royal mason, though?

This may remain a mystery forever.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Princess’ Court

Jim shrugs. That probably could have been useful to have but he’s not going to press the issue.
”I guess we should see Sticks next? And then we have an ape to catch. Unless the princess has a fae-puncher 9000 sitting around that’s easier.”
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

The Princess’ Court

Jaahlyn nods. "Looks like its our next stop." But as she turns to look at Sunder in case she can confirm fae-puncher 9000's non-existence she leans in to Jim to whisper. "And if you want I can always make a new mask for you. A better one."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Princess' Court]

The Princess allows herself the barest ghost of a smile at Jim's joking comment.

"Alas, no. My sovereign hooves are for myself alone. You will need to solve the issue of this villain of your own power and guile," she replies, then tilts her head ever so slightly to the side. "Unless, of course, you wish to report a crime that has been committed against you. As a close partner with Intersection, it is the duty of Team Nightmare to ensure the safety and security of all the citizens of Inside."

Pretty clear the intent here.

Do you guys want help?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Princess' Court

"Really? I didn't know you could- let's talk about that later." Jim whispers back to Jaahlyn before returning his attention to the Princess.

"I was afflicted by a fae known as a Woku, who twisted that Mask that was a gift to me into something she thought would humiliate me, Your Highness." Jim explains as he bows again.
"Jaahlyn has explained to me that their speed is legendary. No jail will hold her, and she will be extremely difficult to catch. My best bet to keep her from striking again is to make her swear a vow not to do so. I was planning on issuing her a challenge. But if you can do it by getting her in a headlock instead that would also work."
And well, Jim can't say he doesn't like the idea of seeing that arrogant ape's face desperately trying to tap out while being held in a wrestling hold by a very tough pony.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

The Princess' Court

"It's a bit complicated, but with your help it should be a breeze." The satyr whispers back.

"They're tricksters too and the lady cursing Jim doesn't seem to be any different from the convention he's describing." She then adds to Jim's description of the Woku as she gives him a nod. "During my long service I came add odds with many of them, however that was at least partly because I ended up serving a lot of dunces and jerkwads who deserved to have the rug pulled underneath them. But this one seems to have instead befriended the dunces."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Princess' Court]

"I see," the Princess replies with a solemn nod. "Then if you have no formal charges to file I believe I will wish you well on your journey. May the magic of friendship guide you."

Well!

That went pretty okay, right?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Princess' Court

Jim feels like what he just explained is a pretty formal charge but it sounds like Princess Sunder can't really help if it means going around the law and not just making an arrest. That's fine; she's done plenty today.
"Okay. Thanks, Your Highness." He isn't sure how you're supposed to end these sorts of things so he'll let Jaahlyn play them out, so to speak.