Midnight Park

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Midnight Park

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Judgement]

"Not much I'd like to share without Ana's consent but it is pretty clear that those yokai probably have something to do with your invitation to that party wouldn't you say?" Jaahlyn points out. "And those other guests, they also seemed aligned with the emotions the yokai feed on don't you think?"

She waits a moment for Siana to reply before she starts heading back to Codebreaker and Arne.

Tags:
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Ironsmith wrote: Jun 19, 2023 1:02 pm [Judgement]

"And yet he hasn't." Arne notes. "Likely because they are not yet representative of the values he wishes to see passed on for eternity. As for you... I do not believe he would hold you being a foreigner against you. I cite my own family as an example; Lady Skuld, for whom my house is named, hails from Blekdal, a region that was not a part of Maesda at the time of her Ladyship. In fact, it was only annexed thanks to her influence. If Absum wishes you Lorded, he would do so, without regard for such trivialities as borders and banners."
Judgement

"Well maybe. But your Lords and Ladies are supposed to be leaders of your people. And you're only the fifth I know. Not exactly a kingdom."
Well properly speaking, that might be 5/5 for surviving Maesdans in the Nexus. Give or take a couple of dragons.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Judgement]

"I... don't think I'd know." Salt admits, hobbling alongside Jaahlyn and, for once, having trouble going slowly enough to not run ahead of her. "I only sort of remember what you told me about yokai before. They feed on negative emotions, right? Anger, fear, guilt, that kind of..."

Salt's eyes widen as the words leave her lips. "...Oh. Oh."

---

"Perhaps that is why he hasn't made it official. A good example though you may be, your ability to be a leader is... rather sharply limited. If only because there are so few people to lead." Arne gives Codebreaker a little clap on the shoulder. "Still, it is an honor to even be considered. You should be proud."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Judgement]

"All emotions, and concepts like faith too. They're born from the excess of one particular thought and try to induce that thought it in people's minds to get stronger." Jaahlyn explains and nods as Salt has her realization.
"Exactly."

Then they return to Arne and Codebreaker. "Sorry for that, but it was important. We've talked a bit and I think we're heading over to a friend of Salt to consider some recent revelations." She looks to the Kirin. "Since that was the plan, right?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Judgement

”I’m honored but right now I’d rather be considered for a date by a much more mortal guy than any magic titles from gods. Absum knows I’m allergic to responsibility.”
Absum also knows that he runs headfirst into responsibility at the drop of a hat despite constantly saying things like that. The responsibility part, not the date part. That’s true.

Codebreaker shrugs as the girls return.
"Sure, I can drive you. Where are we going?" he asks, glancing at the three of them. With Arne actually in a seat it might be a little more crowded in the car. But then, it's a car sized for him. They'll be fine.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Judgement]

Salt climbs into her seat, taking a moment to confusedly stare at the seat belt before answering. "We'll need to go to [Ana's home address]." She says, trying to fold her legs under her so that she can comfortably fit in the seat. "She's still in trouble and I promised I'd look after her."

Arne nonchalantly takes a seat in the back, watching the kirin attempt to make sense of things before piecing together his own seatbelt, giving a satisfied little nod as it clicks together. "And I promised to look after you. So it seems 'she' is getting two guards for the price of one." The massive knight notes, resting a hand on Salt's back.

"...Looks like." Salt reluctantly agrees.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Hag Ridden]

Salt will awaken to something distressing.

She can breath, but she can move. She can speak, but her lips don't obey her will. She can scream, but the sound merely echoes silently in her mind. She's frozen. Her body won't obey here. And there's a... weight. A pressure on her chest. Like something is pressing her into her bed. A formless malevolence. A shapeless fear. A-

Toe-beans get mooshed against her face.

"Hey, you're awake right? Can you- oh heck this actually DOES freeze you. Umm, sorry, I've never done this before, hang on," says a decidedly NOT malevolent voice as the weight slackens and her limbs gradually return to her control.

There's a black fox in her room, eyes like indigo foxfire flashing in the dark. The fox is sitting right next to her, vulpine nose inches from her own.

"You're Arthfael's sister, right? I wanted to talk to you about him and I didn't know how else to find you."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Hag Ridden]

For the third time this week, Salt finds herself awakening to a cold sweat and a profound, terrifying sense of helplessness.

Though she's more than a little surprised to find that tonight, at least, that feeling seems to have an external source. Or just as importantly, that said external source is profusely apologetic and about as threatening as an excited puppy.

The kirin still needs a moment to get her breathing back under control, though. And her pulse.

Once sufficiently calmed, Salt pulls herself up from her side and folds her hooves under her, rocking gently until her equilibrium is under control enough to sit up straight. "...Right... um... sorry, do I...?" She makes a vague gesture toward the fox, before her eyes seem to light up in recognition. "Oh, right. You're Khannie, correct? It's... it's hard to tell."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Hag Ridden]

The fox definitely seems to feel bad about how this meeting went. Not a great way to make a first impression. Though, strictly speaking, this isn't a FIRST first impression. The actual first impression was back at that evening beach party some time ago. Well, before that there was the SKELETON CASTLE but her encounter with Arthfael's sister there was pretty brief.

Last time around it wasn't a kirin and a fox meeting each other.

Rather than responding to the kirin's question like one might expect, she instead gives the end of her tail a flick, causing a bone mask to appear with a perhaps more recognizable face. The fox holds the mask up to her nose and suddenly a human teen is sitting here, her fingers held to her face like she has just put a mask on.

Which she did.

"Yeah, it's me," Khannie confirms. "You had a different name before, but I guess you go by Salt now?"

She had gotten some brief input from Emgee on the situation.

"I dunno how much Arthfael told you about what happened. Or... what we think happened, I guess. It's really weird."

That's life in the Nexus in a nutshell.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Hag Ridden]

"Saltset Simmer, yes." Salt confirms with a little nod. "Or just 'Salt' for short. And... yeah, Arthfael didn't actually tell us much, but we were able to figure it out. Kinda. You know how he is." The kirin sighs. "Confidence, in either sense, was never my little brother's strong suit."

thud

thud

thud

Salt remains politely silent as the heavy footfalls approach her door, the handle slowly turning to admit what appears to be a giant clad in heavy black armor, carrying a silver tray with a whole apple pie and a tea set on it. "...This wasn't meant to be a private conversation, was it?" Arne asks gruffly, setting the tray between Salt and Khannie. "Because I can busy myself elsewhere if you need it."

Salt looks to Khannie for confirmation on that point. It really depended on how many people she wanted to have know about what she was going to say, after all.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Hag Ridden]

Yeah that is definitely an equestrian name.

The Fox is now conspiring how to arrange to get Saltset Simmer and Midnight Glister in the same room together. She has no idea what the result would be but somehow comedy would arise. She's certain of it.

"Okay, Salt then. Yeah he gets... I mean he sorta bottles up about things. Especially stuff he should be talking about. We're trying to-"

And then the door opens!

To knight! With pie!

Khannie tries to avoid looking too undignified but that's an equestrian-baked pie and the secret ingredient is pretty literally love in a profoundly magical way.

"Umm... I was just gunna tell Salt some stuff that's been happening with her brother? I guess if she's okay with it?"
Khannie replies uncertainly. This doesn't feel like it's her call.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Hag Ridden]

"I don't have a problem with it if you don't." Salt smiles and gives Arne an affectionate nudge. "If you didn't say this was a just-between-us thing I probably would have told him about it anyway. No good reason for him to not be in the room."

Arne gives a little nod and quietly starts pouring the tea, starting with Khannie and working his way around the table.

"So, what's on your mind?" Salt asks, looking out at Khannie over the knight's shoulder. "Specifically, I mean. Some kind of trouble, apart from the shapeshifting thing?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Hag Ridden]

Okay.

Salt doesn't have a problem.

That means Khannie doesn't have any excuses to stall.

"Well-"

Now there's a cup of tea in front of her.

"Oh, uh, thanks?"

Aren't there supposed to be rules with taking tea? It's a whole ritual thing. She's got no idea what they are. It smells nice? Maybe she should wait a bit for it to cool down at least.

"So we think we've mostly figured out what happened? He got tangled up with a really bad succubus and got himself stung," Khannie explains, trying to figure out how best to describe this. "And... the thing that's supposed to do? Is kill someone and turn 'em into another succubus. But it reacted weirdly with his vampire stuff and so instead his memories got all messed up and he got the shape-shifting a succubus has got but it's messed up, too."

Khannie doesn't mention her (the Fox'? Bella's?) experience with the whole getting stung by a succubus thing. It would just be a distraction right now.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Hag Ridden]

"Oh, right, we talked with her sister about this." Arne nods toward Salt, gingerly lifting his entirely-too-small teacup to his mouth, looking at it as if puzzling out how he was meant to take a sip. "It's in a strigoi's nature to assimilate, and the succubus venom to transform, so he ended up being 'done' before he was actually 'done', is how she described it. He didn't entirely lose his nature as a strigoi, but he gained a lot of things tied to succubi; shapeshifting being the big one. She didn't have a completely satisfactory explanation for why his memories were affected, though."

"Her best guess was that succubus venom, or at least the venom from this particular succubus, has been known to cause death of personality and temporarily blocking his ability to access his memories was sort of the interrupted midpoint in that process. That, or he experienced genuine brain death at some point and that caused some side effects independent of any weird venom/vampirism interactions." Salt nickers irritably, her teacup bobbing just below her chin.

"In either case, he's probably the luckiest man alive. Absae was with him that day."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Hag Ridden]

Khannie decides maybe she's supposed to drink some tea.

And she just...

Drinks it. As if she were drinking a cup of soda or something. Which is definitely not how you're supposed to take tea. It tastes kinda weird.

"Okay so you guys knew about all that stuff then?" Khannie replies, nodding slowly. Okay cool if they're up to speed then she can share the next part. "So Arthfael made these... card things. Spirits? Using enchantments. And since that sorta magic uses part of you they're part of him, right? He gave me one of 'em as a gift last Thanksmas. So I gave the card back to him to see if it would help and it DEFINITELY seemed like it did. And since the cards are all different parts of him we're thinking maybe if we can find 'em all then it'll help him get his memories back?"

It's a pretty tentative, long shot plan.

But it's really all they have.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Hag Ridden]

"...He did?" Salt blinks, staring at Khannie as though her tail had suddenly detached and started doing the can-can. "...I wasn't aware he could do that."

"We were both out of the loop for some time." Arne elaborates. "Though that does explain a few, ah..." The knight goes silent, seeming to suddenly realize that finishing that sentence was a worse idea than starting it.

"...Explains a few what?" Salt asks, raising an eyebrow.

"...I believe it would be better if you heard it from him."

"...Hmp." Salt shuffles in place. "...I guess the hows and whys don't matter as much as the situation itself. So he's left some cards laying around that might help get his memory back. Okay. I take it you're hoping we could help find them?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Hag Ridden]

Khannie's tail can't do that.

Thankfully.

That's the sort of thing she might expect from her mother and she would really prefer not operating on that level of chaos.

"Yeah that's it," Khannie replies with a nod. "We know ABOUT where it happened Inside, but we dunno where all the cards went afterwards. If all the spirits popped out and ran off then they could be basically anywhere by now. It doesn't help that I dunno how to even start tracking them. So more people looking would be good?"

It's a situation that provides some measure of hope.

A goal to strive toward, certainly.

May better than just giving up on Arthfael ever getting his memories back.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Hag Ridden]

"...Sure. We can do that." Salt says with a little nod. "In fact, starting tomorrow, we can start actively scouring the city for them. I've been meaning to stretch my legs anyway; I can't spend all my time staying here, dreaming up new cookie recipes."

"Though some of them have been quite inventive."

"Oh, stop it." Salt waves a hoof dismissively, turning away from Arne and flyshing slightly.

"...On a related note." Arne shuffles and cuts Khannie a slice from the pie. "...How are you handling this, Khannie? You know... mentally. Emotionally." The massive knight clears his throat in a phlegmy, gurgly sort of sound. "If it isn't too forward to ask."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Hag Ridden]

"Thanks for being willing to help out; it's really cool of you," Khannie says.

Of course, Arthfael is Salt's brother so she would want to help too. That just makes sense, right?

"I've been keeping an eye out on patrols for my Costumed Heroics classes but I haven't seen anything at all. Maybe I'm just not in the right spot?"
Khannie reasons. At the question of how she's doing Khannie... her gaze falls a bit. "I've lost friends before. It hurts. And it sucks. And it never stops hurting. But you remember them and sometimes that's all you got."

She takes a deep breath. A look of adamant determination in her gaze.

"But Arthfael isn't GONE gone. There's still hope he'll get better."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Hag Ridden]

If, by some chance, Khannie was ever curious to know what it's like to be hugged by a seven-foot leech-man in a suit of heavy armor, that mystery is rather abruptly solved. "It does suck." Arne agrees. Even with as hidden as his face is under his helmet, he looks as though he wants to say more, but isn't quite sure how. After a moment, he releases Khannie and gives her one last clap on the back; probably a bit too hard for comfort but with obvious intent.

"...So. How do we get in touch with you if we find anything?" Salt asks.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Princess’ Court

Jim is here with Jaahlyn, hoping to get an audience with Jaahlyn’s…boss? It sounds like Sunder rarely actually tells Jaahlyn to do anything but by all accounts Jaahlyn is an official member of court. Jim is hoping that that status lets them cut the line a little.
”Around here I’d almost feel less ridiculous as the cow.” she mutters to Jaahlyn. At the moment she is a rather unflattering image of a dairy-cow person somewhat like a minotaur, plump and with exaggerated curves. The fancy robes Jaahlyn managed to get at least help a little. But they can only do so much.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

The Princess’ Court

"Relax, it's going to be fine." Jaahlyn argues. She'd point out that less people was going to be leering at Jim around here but she didn't think that would make her any less nervous. "No one's going to be judging you for being under a curse of no fault of your own. You of anyone deserves to be freed from it." The satyr gives Jim a confident nod. "So I have no doubt we'll get to cut in line, especially as I'm with you."

She will be trying to wave down a guard or whatever sort of official-looking pony that keeps the line here in order.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Princess’ Court]

True enough, Jim isn't getting a second look from anyone here. Unusual people come to the court all the time, so why would this be any different?

At Jaahlyn's hail one of the guards approaches the pair to see what they need.

Meanwhile!

The Princess appears to be adjudicating a dispute between two gloom ponies over... a pie? It must be a pretty important pie.

[Hag Ridden]

Clapped on the back by an armored guy?

This is probably how Arthfael felt about getting punched in the arm by Khannie.

Khannie does a pretty admirable job of not getting knocked over.

"I've got a phone? Ummm..."
she gives the pair a lookover. "I guess you would be able to use the old fashioned kind with buttons if you've got one."

Glister just makes use of a stylus that she can snag in her levitation spell. She can use the touchscreen with her nose but that's pretty awkward.
Last edited by Rebonack on Dec 11, 2023 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Princess' Court

Jim politely tells the guards that they're here for an audience with the Princess. For the most part, she'll let Jaahlyn take the lead on this one though. She knows the ways of pony court more than she does.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

The Princess' Court

Pies are serious business for ponies, especially if they are pink.
Jaahlyn will loudly clear her voice though since as important as pies could be Jim's business here was more important.

"Your Majesty, Sunder." She takes a bow. "I have urgent business here. Could the pie debate be postponed for just a bit? Since helping this person shouldn't take too long." Jaahlyn gestures to Jim.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Princess' Court]

Sunder doesn't SAY 'Thank the sun and moon' aloud when Jaahlyn interrupts, but she sure thinks it.

"As important as your dispute is to me, my little ponies, this must be addressed first. Please refer your disagreement to the Cheif Baker. I'm sure he is more than equipped to resolve it,"
the Princess says. Then she inclines her horn toward the satyr. "Jaahlyn, you may approach the throne."

There's a whole song and dance to courtly etiquette.

It's tedious, but it maintains order.

And ponies like the show.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Princess’ Court

”Jaahlyn it’s rude to interrupt people.” Jim whispers. But otherwise she steps aside for Jaahlyn to step forward. Sounds like she has to explain things.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

The Princess’ Court

Jaahlyn glances at Jim, her eyebrow raised.
Rude? A pie in one hand and a curse in the other she'd know what she'd pick.

Besides, she had spent far too much time being forced to be polite.

So with all due respect Jim, your girlfriend has decided to completely ignore your advice in this instance.
"Thank you your majesty." She makes a flourish before the princess before turning to the pie-ponies. "And thank you as well for your patience."

Then Jaahlyn approaches the throne. "Your majesty, my partner has been bewitched by a fey for no other reason than sheer spite. Could you break the curse with your almighty hooves?"
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Rebonack wrote: Dec 11, 2023 2:24 pm [Hag Ridden]

Clapped on the back by an armored guy?

This is probably how Arthfael felt about getting punched in the arm by Khannie.

Khannie does a pretty admirable job of not getting knocked over.

"I've got a phone? Ummm..."
she gives the pair a lookover. "I guess you would be able to use the old fashioned kind with buttons if you've got one."

Glister just makes use of a stylus that she can snag in her levitation spell. She can use the touchscreen with her nose but that's pretty awkward.
[Hag Ridden]

Karma has a funny way of working out sometimes.

Arne and Salt exchange a look. "...We do have one of those, yes."

"With a touchscreen. That I can't use." Salt holds up her front hooves and wiggles them to emphasize her lack of fingers.

"Nor can I. For some reason." Arne rumbles.

"Not that I've really let him try, I've still got a lot of contact info in it and I don't want him chipping it up." Salt elaborates.

"...Perhaps the old-fashioned way would be best. Tell us where we can find you and we'll come by if we have any luck." Arne offers.

"Or you can check in on us every so often, if you're not comfortable with that." Salt amends. "...So long as you use the door. I would... rather not go through that again."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Princess' Court]

"Likely. But first, step forward my friend. Allow me to have a better look at you," the princess says, gesturing for Jim to step right up to the throne.

The guards nearby don't move, but Jim will definitely feel eyes on him.

Should Jim do as asked the Princess will push the mane hanging over the left side of her face away, revealing four parallel scars running across an empty socket filled with absolute darkness.

Jim will feel Sunder's gaze washing over him, within him, through him, laying all things open and naked before the eye of she who sits above him.

It's a terrifying thing to fall under her full scrutiny.

[Hag Ridden]

"You could get a stylus for it? That helps with the hooves, " Khannie helpfully suggests. "Or I guess I could just swing by again? Umm..."

She glances around somewhat theatrically.

"Where are we again? The dream trick just brought me to you. It didn't tell me where you were."

A downside to be sure.