Midnight Park

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Re: Midnight Park

Post by Ironsmith »

Keeper wrote: Jun 06, 2023 1:46 pm Judgement

"Team Nightmaere are part of Intersection and are thus part of the rightful law of this land. If you want to chase after Sunder with a sword in your hand you're welcome to try (and find your singing voice)."
CB would put money on him being one of the STRONK ponies.
"Siana's verdict was a recruitment into a cause and community that she will be serving as atonement. And I will have you know that her family is under the protection of Absum himself. Which I know because I saw him slap her uncle with gods-damned lightning bolts like three times and he put a boon in my garden. So considering he let this happen after he stopped my patron from fixing any of their problems, this result has the blessing of Absum.
But much more importantly-"

Codebreaker leans forward, actually baring his teeth for the first time in Salt's experience.

"I don't like what you're implying about people with muzzles when you use that 'b' word."
[Judgement]

Arne opens his mouth to object, which is quite a horrifying thing to witness as his mouth seems to be most of his face and has three jaws instead of the usual one, but he quickly closes it again with a wet snlap. "...Beside the point." Arne mutters, breaking eye contact with the wolfen and looking over Salt again.

What was Codebreaker even trying to imply was implied there, anyway? People with muzzles? Why would he have any problem with them? Some of his best friends had muzzles. Well, before they got eaten.

"...If Absum has blessed this judgment, then it is indeed not my place to object." Arne says finally. His neck twitches again as Jaahlyn answers her phone, but fortunately, his expression is unreadable through his helmet.

"...Well, good. Glad that's all settled, then." Salt lets out a little sigh and nods toward the car. "Should we get ready to go?"

"Before we do." Arne stops next to Salt and kneels down so that he's level with her eyes. "I... I believe this needs to not go unsaid. I still love you, Siana Ty-Maldwyn. I only want to do what is right by you."

"...You've been out of the loop for ten years. I don't think you know what's right by me." Salt replies evenly.

"Then it seems as though I have much to learn." Arne lets out a low, gurgling sound that might have passed for a chuckle in another life. "You have changed quite a bit since we last met. As have I. Perhaps we have... I believe the phrase is 'gotten off on the wrong foot'."

"Was that a cripple joke?" Salt raises an eyebrow.

"...No. No, of course not."

"Hm." Salt sighs. "...Is this your way of saying you want to stick around for a while?"

"If you will have me." Arne bows.

"...I don't have any place for you to stay. Not unless uncle Kyrie or Codebreaker wants to-"

"I would not dream of imposing. I have a room at a tavern in town."

"...Then fine, I guess." Salt nods. "But you have to promise you're not this much of an asshole all the time. Can you do that?"

"...Not this much, no."
Last edited by Ironsmith on Jun 06, 2023 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.

Tags:
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Judgement]

Ilpholin hesitates for a moment, perhaps giving Jaahlyn time to get her distance. But eventually she continues. "Plans to angelfy Ecstacy are pretty much complete. We'll see if she takes the bait, but this time the location and time are of my choosing and much more private. So it's unlikely there will be interference like last time and I'll be prepared for it if there is. There is a warehouse of big shipping containers we'll be using. Your job will be to arrive there beforehand and wait in the one black container until the deed is done. You'll be able to hear just fine from in there. I will send you the address and time. If there's any pressing dates you can't do this on, let me know now and we can work around it. Do you have any questions?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Judgement

"Great, I guess everything's hunky-dory." shrugs the wolfen. He's not really sure he'd put up with this guy if he were Salt. But well. He isn't.
"Uh, where'd Jaahlyn get off to?"
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Judgement]

Jaahlyn considers for a moment. Was there any dates she couldn't do this on? Well...
"I'm going to need to rest tomorrow if I'm going to be completely functional, otherwise I don't have anything on the horizon for at least a week. But my schedule is always prone to change so whatever it is you're planning, don't wait for too long."

She briefly considered asking if she was intentionally trying to put her in danger here. But no, probably not yet. Not until the final band member.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Judgement]

"Not tomorrow. Very well."

With no further questions from Jaahlyn, Ilpholin will hang up to prepare for the day after tomorrow.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Judgement]

Jaahlyn turns off the phone as well once she hears Ilpholin hang up. The lack of any kind of good bye's really giving away what their relationships was like.
Putting away the phone she takes a deep breath and closes her eyes for a moment.

Then she turns around and starts making her way back to the group.
Back to Siana.
Salt. Saltset Simmer. She reminded herself as she stands before the pony once more.

"Salt, could I talk to you in private for a moment? It's important." She gestures at the spot she came from. Not giving either Codebreaker or Arne as a much as a glance.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Changeling Needs]

"Due to the nature of the Princess' current outing she has no scheduled date of return," Myrrh Balm replies. "But given past campaigns with similar purpose I expect she will be returning the day after tomorrow. If you wished you could travel to the liberated necropolis. While the Gloom can be somewhat harrowing, we keep the roads that are under our control quite safe."

That's what everyone enjoys, right? A trip through the land of the dead?
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Judgement]

"She didn't go very far, I expect she's just... oh."

Huh. Salt got the impression that business was unrelated to her. Jaahlyn's probably got some number of irons in the fire at any given moment, between work (as a mercenary), work (as a psychopomp), dealing with her friends' drama and any other relationships Salt didn't know about. If she didn't want Salt in earshot, it probably wasn't about her, right?

So what's she want Salt's help with now?

...She supposes it doesn't really matter. She owes the satyr at least twice over.

Salt trots up to her and tries not to look anxious. "Sure. What's going on?"

Meanwhile, Arne stands back over by Codebreaker and clears his throat. "...My apologies with regards to the latch on your trunk." He rumbles. "I could not find a way to undo it. I would gladly pay for a replacement if necessary."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Judgement

Codebreaker waves Arne away. "If it's just the latch, you're more delicate than the Maldwyns usually are. Love 'em to death but they have a habit of breaking my stuff." he says very fondly.
"You've got a lot to live up to. Her two siblings are in very cute relationships already. Owena's dating a very sweet shark-guy and Arthfael's dating a sorcerer."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Judgement]

"Is he?" Arne cocks his head in imitation of a raised eyebrow. "I suppose that makes sense. He always was rather sensitive. At the time, I attributed that to his youth."

Arthfael was, after all, still only three years old the last time Arne saw him.

"No matter." Arne shrugs and waves the thought away. "When we were in your home, I noticed that Owena was laboring as a servant there. Have you chosen to take her on as an apprentice, then? Or is this a less traditional arrangement?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Judgement

"Sensitive? What does that have to do with anything?" Codebreaker asks, confused.
"Owena works for me because I needed someone and she needed a job. An apprentice, though? What do you...think I do?"
He would be fine with making Owena an acolyte but he doesn't think that's really the career she wants.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Judgement]

Arne opens his mouth to answer the first question but quickly thinks better of it. Given Codebreaker's response to the use of the word "beast", he suspects there would be some pointless cultural friction if he answered that plainly.

"...To be perfectly honest, I haven't the foggiest." He says, rubbing his chin. "Not for want of trying to puzzle it out, of course. You are obviously a man of wealth. You own land. You are amassing some number of servants and you have Absum's favor. If I did not know any better, I would assume you either are a Lord or very close to one. As it is... I would guess a merchant of some sort? Perhaps a tradesman? But I have not seen what you might be selling, or what service you may be providing."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Judgement

"I'm a priest for all intents and purposes. I care for the shrine outside town. My money comes from businesses I no longer take part of."
He shakes his head. "Owena and Siana keep saying that. I don't get it. I'm no lord." He glances around.
"Absum do you think I'm like a lord?" he asks out loud, only mostly joking.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Judgement]

No sooner are the words out of Codebreaker's mouth than the whole world around them flashes white, filled with a searingly bright light for less time than it takes to blink. Simultaneously, a deep, penetrating rumble shoots through the clearing, echoing off into the distance as a roll of thunder over the landscape.

"...That is certainly a... vehement response." Arne notes, slowly rising to his feet again.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Judgement

Codebreaker flinches despite his repeated exposure to Absum’s theatrics. He tries to stand back up like it wasn’t a big deal but sadly as a wolfen he has an expressive set of ears and tail that betray that he’s a bit shaken by that level of response.
”Okay but why though? The kids’ dad was some sort of turbo badass who went on campaigns and managed a country. I manage four acres of land between two buildings and one maid. I really don’t get it!”
He shakes his head.
”Don’t answer I know it will kill me.” That is one problem with Absum’s communication.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Judgement]

"It is entirely possible that was a sign of adamant disapproval." Arne points out, shaking his head. "It has often been a lamentation among our own priests that we do not hear what the Lovers shout to us, only how loudly they do so. Absum may be saying that you are very much a Lord. He may also be saying that you are decidedly not."

Arne holds his finger to his chin. "In either case, Absum's response is strong. There are no half measures here. So which seems more likely... that the Lord of Order is muchly offended by your inquiry toward Lordship, or that you have unintentionally gained his approval?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Judgement

Codebreaker looks at Arne. He wants to be respectful of the culture, but…
”Absum shot a lightning bolt through Kyrie’s face and left half the man’s skin on my passenger seat for turning his nose up at the idea of taking a vacation. I’m pretty sure if he was offended by my comparison I would be dust.”
Of course Absum seems to be more flippant with Kyrie as he is the strigoi’s sworn patron. CB is protected…even if it’s by the spiritual equivalent of a toddler.

Speaking of, the little purple mote takes another peek out of CB’s lapel and floats around his head a few times.
”Well you’re biased buddy but thank you.”
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Ironsmith wrote: Jun 08, 2023 5:24 pm [Judgement]

"She didn't go very far, I expect she's just... oh."

Huh. Salt got the impression that business was unrelated to her. Jaahlyn's probably got some number of irons in the fire at any given moment, between work (as a mercenary), work (as a psychopomp), dealing with her friends' drama and any other relationships Salt didn't know about. If she didn't want Salt in earshot, it probably wasn't about her, right?

So what's she want Salt's help with now?

...She supposes it doesn't really matter. She owes the satyr at least twice over.

Salt trots up to her and tries not to look anxious. "Sure. What's going on?"
[Judgement]

Once they're far enough away Jaahlyn says the thing.

"Ilpholin just called me. And there was nothing that suggested that it was anything but her." She shakes her head. "No idea what had happened to her, she was being brief."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Changeling Needs

"I... I don't want to, if it's OK. I'm happy to wait until she returns. But, uh, you can't wait that long, can you? You have other things in your life?" Bobbi turns to Jaahlyn for the last few questions, really hoping the answer is a negative but fully expecting otherwise. Mostly she's not sure if there'd be a route to the Hedge from the Gloom, and she really doesn't want to be in an afterlife unless she can escape it on her own.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Judgement]
Shadowcaller wrote: Jun 09, 2023 7:08 am [Judgement]

Once they're far enough away Jaahlyn says the thing.

"Ilpholin just called me. And there was nothing that suggested that it was anything but her." She shakes her head. "No idea what had happened to her, she was being brief."
"....That... that's not possible."

Salt stares at the ground, lowering her head as she contemplates the implications. "Ilpholin's dead. She has to be. I know, I was there..." She grimaces. "...Unless she found some way to come back from that, in which case I... then..."

After a moment, the kirin stamps her hoof in frustration, letting out an angry snort. "We could have avoided this whole fycin mess if she called half an hour ago!" She snaps, shaking her head. "I could have kept my body! I could have kept my sword! I..."

"...No. No, this... this is right." Salt sighs, lowering her head again. "Her Ladyship didn't judge me for just Ilpholin. She passed down her sentence for both her and Hell Bend. Even if the one was fixed, the other..." She squeezes her eyes shut. "...I can't even go to anyone else for the other. This is as close to fair as I'm going to get. So with Ilpholin still aliv-"

Salt sits up suddenly, her pale face going paler. "Oh, no." She gasps. "If she's still alive, then Ana's still in danger."

Keeper wrote: Jun 09, 2023 4:45 am Judgement

Codebreaker looks at Arne. He wants to be respectful of the culture, but…
”Absum shot a lightning bolt through Kyrie’s face and left half the man’s skin on my passenger seat for turning his nose up at the idea of taking a vacation. I’m pretty sure if he was offended by my comparison I would be dust.”
Of course Absum seems to be more flippant with Kyrie as he is the strigoi’s sworn patron. CB is protected…even if it’s by the spiritual equivalent of a toddler.

Speaking of, the little purple mote takes another peek out of CB’s lapel and floats around his head a few times.
”Well you’re biased buddy but thank you.”
"Did he? That does not sound like Absum... but I suppose I will have to take your word for it." The knight's gaze slides off to one side, in the direction of Jaahlyn and Salt, and he gives a curt little nod. "In that case, I would consider that a ringing endorsement. Why, as you say, is anybody's guess. If I might hazard mine, though, I would say it has to do with the kindness you've shown his people. The Lord of Sunlight tends to smile on such things."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Judgement

"I think Absum knew Kyrie was working too hard, minding the Maldwyn kids. They're teens and they need a little room to grow. And he really was not getting the message. I do wonder if Absum was pushing a little to cause that little incident with a that resulted in him getting his beach bod. I don't think it was just because he told me he hated my lifestyle to my face." At least he's vaguely sure that's what Kyrie had said before CB's car got a new window. Honestly the smell of burned strigoi and the panicked drive home is what stuck in his mind FAR more than whatever it was they were talking about specifically.
CB looks up at the sky.
"Which for the record, just because you were right doesn't mean I'm ok with you smiting my friend like that. It's the principle."

Which really, despite CB's refusal to talk about his own merits, kind of proves the point.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Judgement]

"I didn't ask her any questions regarding her 'return to life' unfortunately. I had the feeling she wouldn't be answering them." Jaahlyn remarks as Salt lowers her head to the ground.

She then watches Salt getting increasingly frustrated, having to resist the growing notion in her mind that it was all rather... cute.

But this was serious.
So she had to remind herself of what was at stake here. "It's also possible that you just killed a clone of her. She wouldn't be the only person walking around with several bodies." Jaahlyn suggests as she gestures at herself. "But how she's still alive isn't my greatest concern right now." She takes a deep breath as Salt mentions that Ana was in danger. Since she could only agree. But it wasn't just from Ilpholin. "I've been delaying this for far too long now but if you two were invited to a fey party you might have more concerns than just Ilpholin. So before we get home and deal with your family I need you to tell me everything that happened that night. In detail."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Judgement]

Arne cocks his helmet in imitation of a quirked eyebrow. "...Perhaps Absum favors you for your candor, as well." He rumbles, in a tone that seems stuck between deadpan and sincere. "It would not be the first time. Lord Gryffaf had a rather similar approach to speaking with him."

The black-plated knight holds a finger to his chin in thought. "You would be in a better position to ask than I. Lordship comes with the needed immortality to survive a conversation with Absum. If it is not official, I would not test it, but if you find yourself formally Lorded..."

---

Salt nods. "Right. Right, okay. You see, it all started when..."

She takes Jaahlyn's request very seriously, and proceeds to give the most exhaustive account of events to the satyr that she can. This would be quite exhausting to type, and quite redundant for an outside observer, but it probably a considerably more rapturous story for Jaahlyn.

"...And that's when you and Arne came to the door, and you know the rest from there." Salt finishes, taking a deep breath. That's... a new feeling for her. Being winded. She doesn't seem to care for it very much.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Judgement]

Jaahlyn starts out looking looking concerned and by the end of Salt's tale she's pacing back and forth restlessly. The first thing she does is kneeling down and attempting to pull the kirin into a hug as she kneels down before her. "I would give you such a big scolding right now if I wasn't also a dumbass." As twisted as the whole fey-party had been the awkwardness of the interaction with Ana's mom had been almost even more painful to listen to.

"So I can relate. Still painful hearing it all though." She shakes her head and looks Salt in the eyes. "You were pretty taken by Ana, huh?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Judgement

"Gryf-who?" CB doesn't recall the name.
"Bah! Who would be dumb enough to subject the world to an eternity of dealing with me? Besides, Absum has his own people to bless if he wants to give someone that honor. Not some oversized wolf from some other planet."
Which is precisely why Absum gave him a completely different boon in his garden which works just as well.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Judgement]

Salt clamors around for a moment, her hooves going up and awkwardly flailing as she tries to find a way to return the hug. Becoming a quadruped has complicated the gesture, if only because her neck now represented the most readily-huggable part of her, as opposed to her torso.

Oh, and she's still only got the one leg to work with in the back.

bumpf

Salt grimaces awkwardly from her position on her side, her face turning a bit ruddier as she shuffles around in embarrassment. Both from the story itself and the clumsiness that just ensued.

"...W-well, yeah. Her story was... pretty close to home." Salt answers, glad for the subject change. "Before I even knew it was Ana the actress was playing, I found myself thinking it could have been my uncle, my sister, my brother, maybe even me. And Ana herself... well, she didn't seem like she could hurt anybody. Except maybe herself. The thought of her being punished, likely harshly, for something she didn't even do... it made my blood boil."

-

"And yet he hasn't." Arne notes. "Likely because they are not yet representative of the values he wishes to see passed on for eternity. As for you... I do not believe he would hold you being a foreigner against you. I cite my own family as an example; Lady Skuld, for whom my house is named, hails from Blekdal, a region that was not a part of Maesda at the time of her Ladyship. In fact, it was only annexed thanks to her influence. If Absum wishes you Lorded, he would do so, without regard for such trivialities as borders and banners."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Judgement]

An awkward hug is still a hug!
Jaahalyn will fall over with Salt once the poor kirin topples over to the side. "Wh-whoa!"

The satyr then lefts out a giggle as they're both on the ground and will help Salt up as she finishes the hug. "Don't worry about that. I had the hardest time walking around with hooves myself at first so you must have it way worse."

She then nods in understanding as Salt expresses how she felt. "Being angry isn't bad, you just need how to use it better I think. Since right now I think your anger is using you instead of the other way around." She'd use a rider and mount analogue but it felt inappropriate considering her new form. "Also, that yokai you were trying to hunt down? It was feeding on anger so that's yet another reason to avoid it. In fact, I have no idea why those yokai were hanging out with fey in the first place. Officially we're supposed to be enemies with one another." Salt might recall that when they meet Jaahlyn was hunting them down.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Judgement]

"Sounds like a Huelwen situation." Salt nods, before realizing Jaahlyn had absolutely no context for that declaration. "In the later days of Huelwen's rebellion, the princess turned to fiendlings for an army that would ally itself with her, in spite of the fact that fiendlings were traditionally enemies of the royal family and a fiendling marrying into the royal family is what nominally sparked the war in the first place. My uncle used to say that was proof positive that Lady Huelwen's stated motives were insincere and she just wanted power at any price. I'm thinking maybe that's what's going on here... the yokai working with this particular fey because she's... I don't know. But she's probably not working on the same terms as the other fey, is the point."

Salt nickers a bit in frustration and rolls onto her hooves again, stopping short of actually getting up. "...So that was basically me just stating the obvious, wasn't it?" She mutters.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Judgement]

"No, no, and even if it was it's good to put words to these things." The satyr smiles. "Besides, I would never say no to a history lesson. I basically am one after all." She gestures to herself with a flourish. "Though while I have a dozen questions regarding that, like what a 'fiendling' is-" Salt might have mentioned that at some point but she had a feeling her thoughts had been elsewhere at the time. "-but I think we should return to the others and then perhaps pay Ana a visit. Since I have a suspicion that I need to confirm with the both of you now that I heard what happened."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Judgement]

"That sounds like a plan." Salt says with a nod. "...I don't suppose it'd be appropriate to ask what that suspicion is at this point?"

Probably not. If it were she would have said what it was.

"...All right. Let's give Codebreaker some relief from tall, dark and stinky."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,