Thanksmas 2022: I Can't Believe That Tiny Dragon Is Actually A Very Tall Cafe Proprietress Dragon And Is Running Thanks-

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: Thanksmas 2022: I Can't Believe That Tiny Dragon Is Actually A Very Tall Cafe Proprietress Dragon And Is Running Tha

Post by Rebonack »

Oh wait yeah that's right.

You aren't supposed to bring your dad on a date. So then that just makes this a-

"I guess this is just one of those come meet my friends and family things? Like a pre-fate family party thing," Khannie concludes, answering several questions at once. "You guys know Arthfael already from Glog but I wanted dad to meet him to."

That way Jace can embarrass her NOW when she's ready for it instead of when she least expects it.

Also?

She does a pretty good job of not preening TOO much when her dad brings up her problem solving skills.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Thanksmas 2022: I Can't Believe That Tiny Dragon Is Actually A Very Tall Cafe Proprietress Dragon And Is Running Tha

Post by bc56 »

"It's a little late for that," Sekhmet explains, "She just stormed out." Maybe Sophie could catch her if she ran. Maybe.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Arkhosia wrote: Dec 15, 2022 12:07 am [Frescot Escapades]

Just as Anika starts to take off towards the Thanksmas tree, a strange thing happens. A flurry of beetles scuttle out from between the floorboards, gossamer wings springing to life. The air fills with buzzing hums and brown-black flecks swirl through the air, scraps of tinsel and paper caught in the rising vortex - then suddenly, a woman appears amidst them, tall and narrow and swathed in green.

"Lucy Juniper Frescot!" The tawny-skinned woman's voice rings sharp and castigating as she affixes the saber and the girl atop it with a withering glare. A faint purple energy seems to be fading from the veins of her eyes, and she snaps a thick grimoire shut as dead beetles fall to the ground in a patter. "You were not supposed to leave the house without us, young lady."
Lucy squeals with delight as Anika races forward with she and Lapis along for the ride. She is blindsided mid kitty-leap by the appearance of Calanthe, mouth opening wide in a dismayed 'O'. Lucy glances about as if seeking an avenue for escape. She's in trouble!

"Uhhh..." She panics. "Anika, quick, uh, evasive maneuvers!"
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Frescot Escapades]

Lapis is, of course, whooping with glee as soon as Anika begins dashing around the cafe.

But, then, the unthinkable happens.

First there's magic. The dark, black sort of magic. The kind that demands sacrifice. The kind that's hungry for a thing Lapis has trouble putting words to. Something that doesn't feel quite real to her but none the less is something she's familiar with. Because of all the adventurers who know healing things at VIGIL. The stuff they put into people to make the people better! It's a thing Lapis doesn't have, but it's a thing that she recognizes. A thing that's kind of like imagination, but warm and always moving.

There was lots of it in those beetles.

Now there's none.

Also now there's Miss Calanthe and she sounds really upset. Lapis is pretty sure that was some kind of teleport thing maybe she doesn't have the right spheres for doing that.

"Are you in trouble, Lucy? I thought it was okay if we left a little early since we were all going to the same place," Lapis asks as the evasive maneuvers may or may not begin in earnest.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Arthfael opens his mouth to point out that he has, in fact, met Jace before, but decides against it. It's a bit rude to correct her, as it would serve no purpose other than to point out that she didn't have all the information on who knows who here. "...Yeah. We're... all just hanging out." He says, with a nervous laugh.

You know what? Maybe it's better that this isn't a date. He's never been on a date before, ever, he wouldn't really even know what to do. But he's hung out with friends before. These friends, even. It's almost like nothing's changed at all between them. He and Khannie just have a couple of spiffy new words for each other and that's about it. No pressure, right?

...Yeah.

This is fine.

"...So, um..." Arthfael dusts a layer of pink snow off the booth's seat and makes a little gesture to Khannie, offering to let her settle in first. "Oh, right. I, um... yeah, I've had a bit of fur coming in." He admits, self-consciously rubbing at the little blonde-and-white hairs sprouting up under his neck and chin. "It's... it's not a big deal. You know, puberty."

...Ugh. Did he really just say that? Too much information, Arthfael. And not even accurate information.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Frescot Escapades]

Anika won't let herself be intimidated by some bug magic!
Since while she wasn't sure what was going on she was sure that whoever was doing this was intending to be scary and that wasn't appropriate at all here!

Her eyes narrows as she recognized... a warlock!

A warlock that knew Lucy's name!

In the back of her mind she seemed to vaguely recognize this warlock but once Lucy called for evasive maneuvers she didn't hesitate. She quickly moves to the right to dodge past the lady and then makes a beeline for the thankmas tree.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

bc56 wrote: Dec 17, 2022 9:14 pm "It's a little late for that," Sekhmet explains, "She just stormed out." Maybe Sophie could catch her if she ran. Maybe.
Sophie shrugs.

"Looks like I won't be doing that, then. Maybe some other time, if I can manage to be at the right place and time. But today we should probably try not to worry about people like her."
Ironsmith wrote: Dec 18, 2022 7:23 am Arthfael opens his mouth to point out that he has, in fact, met Jace before, but decides against it. It's a bit rude to correct her, as it would serve no purpose other than to point out that she didn't have all the information on who knows who here. "...Yeah. We're... all just hanging out." He says, with a nervous laugh.

You know what? Maybe it's better that this isn't a date. He's never been on a date before, ever, he wouldn't really even know what to do. But he's hung out with friends before. These friends, even. It's almost like nothing's changed at all between them. He and Khannie just have a couple of spiffy new words for each other and that's about it. No pressure, right?

...Yeah.

This is fine.

"...So, um..." Arthfael dusts a layer of pink snow off the booth's seat and makes a little gesture to Khannie, offering to let her settle in first. "Oh, right. I, um... yeah, I've had a bit of fur coming in." He admits, self-consciously rubbing at the little blonde-and-white hairs sprouting up under his neck and chin. "It's... it's not a big deal. You know, puberty."

...Ugh. Did he really just say that? Too much information, Arthfael. And not even accurate information.
Brinika's mouth is open for a moment. Puberty? Why is Arthfael getting fuzzy as he grows older? She has no idea how to broach the topic.

"Is that a thing... well, not important, I guess."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Prumathe arrives. He's a muscular man in his early twenties, wearing a jumper and a pair of rugged cargo trousers. He's also got a Santa hat on, and he's carrying a small box and followed by... a horse-sized granite statue of a puma, a ribbon tied about its waist and fitted with a saddle.

"You know how some humans have beards and moustaches, Brin? Most humans don't grow any until puberty, and it's less common in girls." Cheasadh's noticed the fact her father and indeed most of the goblins she's met have been clean-shaven, and now Brinika's confusion over facial hair explains things. Gnomes don't usually get a lot of facial hair growth, but it can happen- and with gnomes, it's not always limited to the men, though most gnomes see it as a bit unhygienic to have fur around their mouths and so shave it off.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

"Okay." Jace says with the verbal equivalent of a shrug. It's not his business to pry about the puberty Arthfael's species goes through. Zebes' contact with the mind of Arthfael's father did not come with an image of the man.

"But it's fine, Khannie. Zebes and I already met him quite a while ago. I'm surprised he never told you."
Probably because Zebes gave Arthfael advice on courting Khannie which would be exceptionally awkward to discuss.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Sekhmet nods. "I shouldn't be getting bogged down worrying about whether or not I could have convinced her to do better." But then someone arrives. "Prumathe! You made it!" She eyes the stone puma excitedly. "Is that it!? You're done!?" "Congratulations Da!" They both knew he'd been working on his master work, the project that would graduate him from his apprenticeship to Pontius. Both wife and daughter are ready to give him congratulatory hugs, this is a big step forward for him... But why does it have a ribbon?
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Frescot Escapades]

"What- LUCY!" Calanthe shouts in alarm as the saber dodges right past her with an agility she did not at all expect from large animals. She spins around and sprints after the trio, running as fast as she can in her long dress. "Lucy, stop immediately! Your parents are worried sick!" Gosh, this really wasn't going as planned! How the hell did she even find a tamed saber???
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Wait her dad met him already?

When?

Why didn't Khannie hear about this?

The teen does a pretty good job of pretending that she isn't surprised and OH LOOK A GIANT CAT RUNNING AROUND WITH SOME KIDS RIDING ON IT BEING CHASED BY A RABBIT LADY! Yeah that's definitely whey she looked shocked for a moment definitely nothing to do with the revelation that her dad and her boyfriend know each other already.

Khannie makes a point of watching the merry Thanksmas chase for a few seconds.

"So, uh..."

Now what?

"Oh yeah! Do you wanna tell my friends some of your stories, dad? I'll grab some snacks and stuff."

They can spend some quality friends and family time together! It'll be cool.
Morty

Post by Morty »

Earl of Purple wrote: Dec 18, 2022 3:49 pm Prumathe arrives. He's a muscular man in his early twenties, wearing a jumper and a pair of rugged cargo trousers. He's also got a Santa hat on, and he's carrying a small box and followed by... a horse-sized granite statue of a puma, a ribbon tied about its waist and fitted with a saddle.
bc56 wrote: Dec 18, 2022 5:21 pm Sekhmet nods. "I shouldn't be getting bogged down worrying about whether or not I could have convinced her to do better." But then someone arrives. "Prumathe! You made it!" She eyes the stone puma excitedly. "Is that it!? You're done!?" "Congratulations Da!" They both knew he'd been working on his master work, the project that would graduate him from his apprenticeship to Pontius. Both wife and daughter are ready to give him congratulatory hugs, this is a big step forward for him... But why does it have a ribbon?
"Oh, hello Prumathe. That is an impressive construct." Whatever Sophie was about to say is indeed interrupted by a far more pleasant topic.
FireFox
Pronouns: He/She

Post by FireFox »

Mee wrote: Dec 15, 2022 5:43 pm And Sally giggles back, wiggling her finger back and forth just a touch, smiling happily down at the two.
"I can tell! A legendary grip, they've got! Couple of legends already. But I'm doing well! Thank you! Just serving a lot of cocoa. And how about yourself?"
Tovia shrugs, a casual and relaxed motion, while she watches Sally play with the twins. "For the most part I've been staying at home, watching the kids. Finding some time here and there for my magical studies. Summoning an angel, baking new spells into cookies, turning my cat's fur different colors..."
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"It is, isn't it? Not to blow my own bagpipes, but it's my master's piece. I'm no longer an apprentice or a journeyman. Pontius has... not fired me because I can go back if I want, but he's told me there's nothing more he can teach." Prumathe smiles and reaches out to pat the stonework puma's head, and it nuzzles him back- hard enough he stumbles a little. "I'm sorry I've been so busy these past few months, working on this thing. It's been hard work, and two prototypes never made it out of the workshop." One had a fault in the stone that wasn't visible until carving was complete, rendering it too fragile to animate, and the other wouldn't behave properly. He's also been really busy; some days, he's not come home and stayed at a hotel in Inside because he was too tired to make the trip to GLoG.

"This does mean I've not had much opportunity to go Thanksmas shopping, let alone make something seperate for you, Mary. So... Merry Thanksmas!" He smiles at Mary and pats the animate statue, pushing it towards his daughter. "I haven't named it, that's your job. It's got its own personality, but should obey you. Look after it, and I trust you not to set it on a classmate. Even if you think they deserve it." It might not try to kill, but it's a horse-sized cat made of stone. He'll also pass the parcel he's holding to his wife; it actually is a present, though one he's had for a long while.

bc56

Post by bc56 »

"For me?" Mary is shocked. "Thank you da!" She bends down to scratch the stone puma's chin. "Who's a good rock kitty?"

Meanwhile, Sekhmet takes the package. "Congratulations! And thank you." She carefully unwraps it. She has gift for Prumathe too (sort of), but she'll wait to give it to him until she's done with his gift.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

Rebonack wrote: Dec 18, 2022 6:02 pmWait her dad met him already?
When?
Why didn't Khannie hear about this?

The teen does a pretty good job of pretending that she isn't surprised and OH LOOK A GIANT CAT RUNNING AROUND WITH SOME KIDS RIDING ON IT BEING CHASED BY A RABBIT LADY! Yeah that's definitely whey she looked shocked for a moment definitely nothing to do with the revelation that her dad and her boyfriend know each other already.

Khannie makes a point of watching the merry Thanksmas chase for a few seconds.

"So, uh..."
Now what?
"Oh yeah! Do you wanna tell my friends some of your stories, dad? I'll grab some snacks and stuff."
They can spend some quality friends and family time together! It'll be cool.
Another GIANT CAT runs by. But this one (which has a long neck and a santa hat on its head) stops at Khannie and holds out a small, brightly wrapped box.

"Here. Merry Thanksmas!"

That said, she will dash away through the cafe. There are plenty more people to deliver gifts to.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Giant cats having long necks is kind of weird.

Like one of those weird long necked cat things in Egyptian art?

So... this cat was holding a box. And then it handed the box to Khannie. And then it ran off.

"Uuh..." Khannie replies a bit uncertainly. And off the cat goes? "Thanks? Merry Thanksmas?"

That was totally unexpected.

So Khannie is left standing there holding a colorful box and looking slightly awkward.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Mee wrote: Dec 15, 2022 5:43 pm Ber'ri just slips her food-safe gloves off, before just burying her lightly freckled face into her hands. "Oh my gosh I'm so so sorry." She replies, muffled through fingies. "I- She- I- . . ." Another sigh. "I don't have a ton of friends either. And- wanted- . . . just- . . . hide back here." She talks a bit slowly, almost like it's a bit difficult to say words. "Iiiii . . . it's hard to meet new people. You know? So um. Um. W-welcome.

Oh, this?"
Ber'ri asks, looking down at the food she's making. Seems to have a lot of just veggies, and peppers, and a good deal of various spicy bits on it. "Just. Um. A bit hungry. Makin' some foods. Do- . . . do you want to make one too? The oven's hot. They're really good! And- and- w-would you like some tea?" It looks like something in there is starting to get through Ber'ri's very very shy shell!

Talah nods: "I know!" she says. "Especially when, like, half of them out there are, like, dragons or giant women or professional heroes or famous stars or something!"
It gets kinda hard to get to know someone when they're that intimidating.

She looks at the vegetables. And peppers. Peppers are really cool, she thinks. Yeah, definitely making one seems like it'd be fun, Talah thinks.
"Yeah, I'll make one," she says, before quickly adding, "Thanks, but no tea, though, I got some hot chocolate."
She pauses, and adds, "Just...I'm going to..." Talah rubs her hands together, as she looks around the room, "wash my hands first?"

After her hands are washed, she comes back over to try making one.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Frescot Escapades]

"Uh--" Lucy nimbly dodges Lapis' question. She whoops with joy and surprise as Anika takes off, moving with feline speed to the foot of the great tree. "Quick, we gotta toss some stuff on and-- and go!" Lucy sounds nervous. Even a little jittery. She really doesn't wanna get in trouble! Calanthe was... she could be really scary, it seems! And Lucy had been with Lapis this whole time. She hadn't done anything wrong!

Even with all those worries, Lucy can't quite quit smiling entirely. Anika was amazing!

If Lapis has some, Lucy will start to toss streamers and other loose, quick decorations over the tree's boughs. Glancing wildly over her shoulder at Calanthe, her ears perked.
Last edited by Murkus on Dec 20, 2022 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Frescot Escapades]

Anika stops next to the tree and then turns around to look in the direction they came from. This would allow the girls to get some decorations onto the thankmas tree while she kept an eye on the warlock chasing after them. Once she got too close she could just run away again!

It was a foolproof plan.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Frescot Escapades]

Lapis is SUSPICIOUS about Lucy's lack of question answering.

But then more important questions arise!

Does Lapis have streamers?

You bet she has streamers!

She hands a large fistful of the glittery, silvery things to Lucy and tosses some of her own on there! Along with several little baubles that she somehow manages to toss just so they land perfectly on the branches. Some are simple silver balls. Others are transparent glass spheres with pretty shapes and things inside them.

Oh!

And one more thing!

Lapis had heard that trees are supposed to have an angel on top of it!

And it sure is a good thing that she knows EXACTLY what an angel looks like!

The final, 100% accurate angel ornament is quickly lobbed on top of the tree where it lands in a perfectly Correct fashion.

Lapis is pretty pleased with how it turned out. But now she's got a question!

"Where are we going to go, though?" Lapis asks, puzzled. "We were going to wait until your mom and dad and brothers and sisters came and then enjoy the party and things and give gifts."

Where else WOULD they go?
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Vallarn family Thanksmas]

"I know boys grow hair on their faces, Cheasadh. Uncle Grimip is trying to grow a beard. Fur is new, though," Brinika argues. Then, however (perhaps mercifully for Arthfael) the discussion of hair and fur is interrupted by a cat. "Yeah, merry Thanksmas. And I'd love to hear some stories."

[Brignole family Thanksmas]

"A masterpiece... oh, yes. I remember how that works." Of course, from her perspective it's a historical practice, but that doesn't bear dwelling on. "Trick and I used to have quite the menagerie... nothing made of stone, though."
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

Just like those! And really, it's the short-necked cats that are the weird ones, some might say.

Anyway, the cat runs off to pet the Thanksmas wolves for a bit. So fluffy!

If Khannie would like to open the box,
► SHOW SPOILER
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Vallarn Family Thanksmas

"I thought Arthfael was being, y'know, poetic." Calling it 'fur' to seem more masculine or something, but that doesn't really fit Cheasadh's picture of him as a bit of a dweeb. "I'm glad I don't have to worry about it, myself. Facial hair's rare in gnomes, and my mother thought hers was unhygienic and shaved regularly. My father didn't need to bother, he couldn't grow any." She also nods eagerly at the offer of stories, however, so gnome hair is hopefully abandoned before Earl has to make more stuff up.

Brignole Family Thanksmas Congratulations, Sophie, you've been adopted

Speaking of Earl making things up, Prumathe smiles as Sekhmet opens the parcel and finds her gift inside. It's a clay mask shaped like Prumathe's face. If she turns it around, there's some gems set inside. "I thought you could put it in your palace somewhere and look at it when you're lonely and busy, and think of me, or something." Sekhmet's been rather adamant on not moving her family into the Scorching Depths, so it might help. As Prumathe speaks, the mask moves, perfectly mimicking his facial expressions.

bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Family Thanksmas
"Thanks, honey." Actually the mask is a bit creepy, but Sekhmet isn't going to mention it. "I, uh, have something for all of us." She reaches into her purse and pulls out... A roll of blue paper? She unrolls it onto the table. "It's not right for a master golemcrafter, uh, or royalty for that matter, to not have a place of our own." The blueprint is for a spacious, three-story house, an adjoining workshop, and a boathouse. "Remember when we talked about living by the sea, at the beach party a couple years ago? I, uh, got everything set up. I just need to give the word to the builders and they can start work." She smiles at Sophie. "That, uh, means we'd be leaving GLoG. But, uh, we don't need the, uh, support anymore."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

"...Heh, um..."

Nuts.

Now Arthfael looks like a jerk for not pointing it out already.

...Then again, better him than Jace. One of them had to be the last one to tell her, and between her new boyfriend that's still figuring out this whole "communication" thing, and her father, there's not much debate as to which would be more palatable.

At the talk about the fur growing around his chin, Arthfael somewhat self-consciously holds his hand over it, face going a bit pale. He's just glad he didn't open his mouth enough for them to see his buck teeth. Nobody's going to let him off easy with regards to that.

"...Right. I, um... actually brought your something, too." The strigoi reaches into his pocket and pulls out an envelope, complete with a wax seal.

"...It's not much, but... I hope you like it." He says with a little smile.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

Shadowcaller wrote: Dec 20, 2022 12:16 am [Frescot Escapades]

Anika stops next to the tree and then turns around to look in the direction they came from. This would allow the girls to get some decorations onto the thankmas tree while she kept an eye on the warlock chasing after them. Once she got too close she could just run away again!

It was a foolproof plan.
[Frescot Escapades]

Calanthe does indeed continue to run after them, though Lucy might see that she briefly falters when they start to enact their merry plan. Her brow quirks, mouth paused agape as streamers and baubles go flying. How was Lapis even managing to land those?

No matter. She has a more important focus here. "Lucy, please, stop that saber and get down from there! You are going to be in serious trouble if you keep running away from us," Calanthe warns, "And I imagine your parents would prefer not to have to discipline you on Thanksmas of all days. So please - stop running away! We'll wait for your parents, I'll tell them you cooperated, and everything can resolve amicably." The rabbit offers an encouraging smile, only to flash with annoyance as Anika bounds just out of her reach again.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Brignole Family Thanksmas]

"Congratulations." Sophie beams. "I'll miss seeing you around the place often, but you're right. You do need your own place. Especially with Mary and Aethelred to raise. I'm bit jealous of a house by the sea, really."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Brignole Family Thanksmas

It is creepy! Unfortunately, what else can you get the demon queen of hell? One with a treasury filled with wealth and a vast number of demonic minions to do most minor tasks. The thought counts, right? And the fact if she has someone watching it all the time she'll know what he's up to, which... Prumathe really should have considered. Still, Sekhmet can hang it up in a room of her palace and forget about it, which is fine.

When shown the blueprints, Prumathe smiles and will try to hug Sekhmet and Mary. "Thank you for having us whilst we were there, and if there's anything I can do to support you in turn, let me know. I'd be honoured to assist how I can." If that's a financial donation, that's dandy and doable. If that's building a heavy-duty golem to help rescue people following some kind of disaster, he'll do that too. If it's using their home as a safe house for escaped slaves as part of a large-scale operation in Skyside, he'd have to talk to Sekhmet and Mary first.