Apocalypse Junction

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: Apocalypse Junction

Post by Rebonack »

[Green Goo]

Our heroes ask for a crown and offer payment.

Thus, negotiations begin.

"Slime queen is patron of village," Tulg gurgles back. "Defacing image taboo. People will not give it."

Well.

That's also pretty to the point.

"Are dragons greater than slime queen? Tulg doubts this. Slime queen great! Powerful! People give slime queen tribute."

Hmm.

If the slime queen is out there in the tunnels somewhere, then why is her crown HERE?

Tags:
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Green Goo
"Where is the slime queen?" Mariblex questions, "We can prove we're greater than her." They killed the slime king, how hard could killing the slime queen be?
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Green Goo

Clearly Mariblex doesn't play chess much.
"Why did she leave her crown behind? Doesn't she want it?" he asks, noting that the crown certainly seems shiny enough to be the real thing.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Green Goo]

The leader of the mold folk makes a grunting noise in response to Mariblex' insistence that they're mightier than the slime queen! His reaction to Rowan is a little more interesting to be sure.

"Not her crown. Was worn around neck of sacred body. People put it on statue because shiny."

Whoops.

Apparently this was just an ornament that belonged to someone who breathed in too much russet mold and spawned some mold people. Poor guy. Not even the crown we're looking for! Which means the slime queen still has the real one and she's probably deeper into the tunnels.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Rebonack wrote: Feb 15, 2024 3:41 am [Abandoned Motorway - Camp]

Oh hey look.

Arguably the most unlucky bird in the area.

You would think that they would stay away because of Yatos but apparently not.

Khannie lights her horn and aims to snag the creature and haul it over to herself. Once it's close (but out of pecking range) she'll give it a bit of a shake. "Hey. You aren't a talking bird are you?"

She definitely feels like that's an important first step before feeding a bird to someone.

If it turns out that the bird is not, in fact, a talking bird she'll see if the vampire'll eat crow. If not, then Khannie probably owes the bird(s?) an apology.
Earl of Purple wrote: Feb 15, 2024 11:59 am Abandoned Motorway- Alice's Camp

Harmony sits back and watches as Khannie catches a two-headed crow. That bit attracts some attention, but not enough to save the bird from its grisly fate- if the strigoi decides to feed.
[Abandoned Motorway]

The bird, thankfully, does not appear to be capable of speech. Or really anything other than a pair of indignant squawks as it's handed over to the strigoi, who raises the struggling bird to her mouth, and-

"Hey Alice, did you want some of this pineapple?"

"Yatos, this is not a good ti'e."

"So... is that a no?"

"That's a 'do not distract 'e while-' oh, da'n it."

"What? O... oh, did you, um... did you want to watch? That's a little messed up, isn't it?"

"...It's 'ascinating, okay?"

"Suit yourself, I guess."

The strigoi lets out a shaky rasp as she brushes the feathers off her fingers, looking up at Khannie with a new sort of lucidity in her eyes, some amount of color already returning to her face. "...Thank you." She says quietly, folding her hands into her lap.
Last edited by Ironsmith on Feb 19, 2024 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Abandoned Motorway]

Yep.

Right on the nose.

That's exactly what the problem is. The vampires from Arthfael's world have gotta eat stuff that's actually alive otherwise they don't actually get any nutrition from it. Which sucks for whatever they're eating but hey that's how predators usually work, right?

"Hey," Khannie says, looking over the now more lucid looking vampire. "What's your name? How'd you end up out here?"

One of her ears also swivels toward the pair chatting over there.

This is further evidence that Alice is really messed up.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Green Goo

"Oh, well then what we want isn't here. Thanks for showing us around, we'll just have to go into the tunnels to look for what we're really after."
Rowan isn't going to say "and kill the slime queen" but yeah that's kind of what he means.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Green Goo
"Where is the slime queen?" Mariblex asks again. These mold men are seeming pretty useless at this point.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Green Goo]

"People know not slime queen's ways. Slime queen dwells in tunnels," the chief replies, pointing toward the tunnel leading out of the village. "If you are mighty the go. If you are weak then go. You will live or die."

Wow.

That isn't much of a pep talk, is it?

It sounds like he really doesn't cary if they manage to beat the slime queen or not.

Probably because if they DO beat the slime queen then that means the monster was unworthy of then veneration to begin with.

Seems like the mold men are pretty pragmatic that way.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Green Goo

"Well uh. Thanks I guess." Rowan waves and looks over to the tunnel, probably with Mariblex in tow.
Some part of him wonders if they'll change the statue to him if they kill the slime queen. He shudders at how much that part enjoys the thought.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Green Goo
"Let's get going!" Mariblex prances down into the tunnels, pretty confident that they'll easily take down the slime queen and be able to move on.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Green Goo]

Aaaand they're off!

Our heroes set off once again, making their way down the tunnels spotted and patched with mold growths. Though, oddly, there's none of the russet brown mold that poses a significant health hazard. Just fuzzy blue-green stuff about the color you might expect to find on old cheese. It smells unpleasant, but it's harmless.

As our heroes round the corner into a wide chamber filled with pipes dumping water into a central cistern they'll find their target.

The queen slime!

This one is...

Quite a bit bigger than the king slime.

A huge pinkish purple blob with a bun of hair and a crown sitting atop it. A collection of weapons of all times, swords, spears, arrows, are stabbed into the monster. Along with a few old bones floating around within it. The creature is easily the size of a an elephant and may prove to be a formidable foe. Granted, all our heroes actually NEED is the crown. But could they reason with a creature such as this?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Green Goo

Well that sure is weird.
How DO slimes get hair? It's like how Hutts have hair sometimes. Just weird.

Well they walked into the room pretty obviously so there's no point in being stealthy.
"Um. Hello? Do you talk or are you just going to try to kill us like almost everything else?"
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Abandoned Motorway- Alice's Camp

Harmony also watches with grisly fascination as the strigoi devours the two-headed crow. She doesn't have much to add right now.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Abandoned Motorway - Alice's Camp]

"That's... I'm sorry, I need a minute." The woman closes her eyes and takes a deep, bracing breath, settling into a straighter sitting position, taking the opportunity to center herself.

"...My name is Rhiannon Ty-Maldwyn." She says after a moment. "I'm from a land far to the east of here, called Maesda." She shivers a little, pulling the blankets tighter around her. "I was part of a group of refugees fleeing a calamity that all but destroyed our homeland. I... don't think any of the others made it."

"You don't need to ela'orate on that." Alice says firmly.

"...Right." The woman sniffs, rubbing her finger against the side of her nose. "...I... guess I should be asking you the same question. Who are you? And where am I?"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Green Goo
"Is there any way you could loan a fellow slime your crown?" Mariblex asks. They'd like to handle this diplomatically too, and they might have a better chance since they don't have bones or organs.
They briefly wonder if the slime queen's crown is magic... Other than opening the one gate, anyway.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Green Goo]

"Blurururl!" replies the queen slime to these questions. While a nonsense reply, it's notable that wasn't a reply that involved violently causing harm to our heroes.

Which...

Is something?

Better than getting bombarded with a wave of goop and broken weapons at least.

The monster doesn't approach them. Nor does it retreat. It just sits there, a vast eyeless mound of jelly.

It lacks those strange red eyes the king slime had. Maybe that's a clue that the Faceless God isn't controlling it?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Green Goo

Rowan goes through his bag and presents before the queen the biggest, least crushed muffin he has.
"Of course I would never deign request royalty loan anything away for free." he offers.
It's a nice muffin. It smells like banana.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Green Goo
"Okaaaaay then, how about we just..." Mariblex tries stretching up to grab the crown off the slime queen's head. It doesn't seem like the creature thinks, and the combination of them not being food and the actual food Rowan is throwing hopefully distracting it, they hopefully can just easily snag it.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Green Goo]

Rowan brandishes a muffin!

As he's holding the treat toward the slime queen the big sack of goop lashes out with a psudopod and snatches it from him like a chameleon snagging a bug. Just as quickly it's retracted back into the queen slime's mass. While this is going on Mariblex reaches out with a tentacle and grabs the crown! The crown is... pretty stuck to the creature. But some pretty deft pulling manages to yank it free.

And while Mariblex is trying to pry the crown loose?

The queen slime lashes out with a BIGGER psudopod and tries to grab Rowan himself.

Oh no!

Rowan is a snack dispenser!

Not a snack!

Sadly the slime queen is not intelligent enough to tell the difference.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Green Goo

The banana muffin-
was a regular muffin that he had in his bag for lunch from before he got here. No buffs for you, Your Highness!

Against the lightning fast pseudopod, Rowan attempts to bat away the appendage with his staff, but his reaction speed isn't great. The pseudopod latches onto his arm, and Rowan immediately panics and starts trying to burn it.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Green Goo
Oh no!
Mariblex tosses the crown aside and lashes out at the tendril with a lash of hellfire. That should be much more effective at cutting Rowan free.

Of course it also seems like it might enrage the queen slime. Although it doesn't seem very smart, maybe it responds to injury with fear instead?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Abandoned Motorway - Alice's Camp]

Huh.

Well, she did see the resemblance. But that's still kinda surprising. This is some grade-A Nexus serendipity right here for sure.

"I'm Khannie Vallarm," the unicorn replies. This lady musta seen some weird stuff on her travels to totally fail to blink at the talking ungulate. "This place is called Apocalypse Junction; it's part of the Nexus. Sorta like a... crossroads between places. Lotsa broken worlds lead here. I guess yours counted."

From what she's gathered 'broken world' is a bit of an understatement.

She glances back at the others, expecting them to introduce themselves. Once that's done she's got another question of her own.

"Do you know Arthfael Ty-Maldwyn?" Khannie asks, ears perking forward.

[Green Goo]

Rowan and Mary torch a pseudopod!

The good news is that this causes the queen slime to let go of Rowan.

The bad news is that this causes the queen slime to begin puffing itself up while shifting a random collection of weapons impaled into its bulk toward our heroes in a very menacing way. The sort of menacing way that is typically followed by a creature getting very SMALL and launching said weapons. Which is exactly what the Queen slime does!

Our heroes have a few seconds to take cover behind some of the pipes or in the cistern below before they get ventilated by a shotgun blast of broken swords, maces, arrows, spears, axes, and random bones.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Green Goo

Rowan jumps behind as big a piece of cover as he can find- a particularly large set of pipes since he can't fit in the cistern.
This does a decent job of blocking bones, swords, and arrows, but slipping through the holes between the pipes is a flat-headed mace that sails through and into the unprotected flesh of Rowan's gut-
which it sinks into for a moment before harmlessly bouncing off as it sails away in another direction.
He mostly just looks confused.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Green Goo
Mariblex, on the other hand, is much smaller and more liquid than Rowan. They flatten themselves down and hope that all the debris doesn't cause them any harm... Not that they have anything in the way of bones to break, blood to spill, or organs to pierce. They should be fine.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Abandoned Motorway- Alice's Camp

"I'm Harmony. Harmony Carter. I've come from Great Yarmouth, but I'm from a place called Dereham, in the United Kingdom. This is Alice's camp, and Yaltos'. He's the one who found you, I think?" Harmony's eyes flicker again as she goes back into heat-vision-mode, trying to see if Rhiannon has heated up at all.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Green Goo]

And thus Rowan learns that he really IS a cartoon dragon.

Maybe he should take that a little more seriously from now on.

Mariblex' evasive tactic works! Their cytoskeleton flattens out, as does their core, and those are the only tentatively solid things in their body to begin with. The wave of debris goes flying over them, finding little in the way of fleshy surface to take purchase in.

This isn't the end of the trouble for our heroes though! Oh no. The slime queen forms a psuedopod full of various pointy bits, hefts it into the air, and tries to whollop Mariblex with it! Flattening out wouldn't be THAT useful in this case. And getting perforated by the slime queen probably isn't great. She might try pulling off chunks of them to eat! And that would be terrible!

On the upside, the queen isn't focused on Rowan at the moment, giving him an opportunity to act!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Green Goo

Being fair, how exactly does one take something like that seriously?

Rowan attempts to remain hidden and forgotten about as he sneaks around the jungle of pipes around the Queen's flank so he can get in range to fire-breath the slime.
But besides Mariblex he will need a DISTRACTION to get close!

...a tiny skeleton rat animates near the Queen and begins poking the slime with a tiny spear it just seems to have for some reason.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Green Goo
Well, they got her attention. That's not good. Mariblex rolls (well, more oozes and bounces) to the left, out of the way of the descending blow. Then they remember they have an ice sword and slash at the pseudopod with it.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Green Goo]

Bounces and rolls is about right. Mariblex dives and tucks into a ball, rolling out of the range of the attack before springing back to their feet and lashing out with their side sword. At the same time they pull a potion from their bandoler and hurl it into the queen slime's bulk!

The potion bursts, strange blue green flames spreading across the monster but causing little in the way of harm.

At least until Mariblex attacks with the freezing sword. At that the alchemical fire blazes brighter. Then Rowan uses his fire breath and the blaze practically explodes into an inferno! All attempt to fight back is momentarily forgotten as the hisses and bubbles and flails wildly.

"Ha! We knew bringing some thermal catalyst potions would be handy!" Mariblex laughs.

The mouse skeleton isn't really noticed at all.

Not respect for poor Ratticus.