Apocalypse Junction

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Apocalypse Junction

Post by Earl of Purple »

Ruined Motorway- Procyon Run

The metal pole- presumably part of a car window-wiper or abandoned walking-stick, as a sigh post pole or chassis part might be too heavy to serve as a poky stick- reacts the same way. All the force pushed in is pushed out again. It's like poking a solid wall, or perhaps a forcefield. It doesn't budge or dent or make a noise- though the stick might, if it's the right kind of stick. If there's enough force into the poke, he'll bend or snap the stick before he dents or otherwise affects the sphere.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.

Tags:
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Ruined Motorway - Procyon Run

Hm. Time for a different approach. Nick goes to the sphere that's suspended in the air and tries pulling at the twisted metal coming out of it. Clearly whatever that is it's managed to either get stuck or come out, neither of which he would have assumed possible from the previous reactions.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The metal is twisted, a mix of aluminium and titanium mostly, and it's very well-anchored in the sphere. From here, Nick can see the wrecked jet lying next to the motorway; there's some scars of its final trajectory, which seems to nearly coincide with the sphere. The jet also isn't complete; it's missing its left wing, and the twisted metal is sticking from the right side of the sphere. Both the stump of the jet's wing and the metal protruding from the sphere are twisted and warped, so trying to line up the wreckage would be tricky.

Of course, there's also spheres on the ground with things sticking out of them; cars, mostly, and occasionally bones.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Hm. Perhaps some sort of spent munition? It hits a spot and then contracts, taking material with it? They are doing the opposite now. As they are he doesn’t see how anything could get stuck in them.
He goes to check the strange carbon-fiber spears and the jet. Perhaps the spears were made by whatever made the spheres? Or maybe their opponents. He doubts the jet has intact flight logs, but…
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The spears are always in the centre of a circle where things look younger than the ruin around them. This is most notable where one has hit a car; there's a sphere centred on the spear that looks as though it's been abandoned for years, whereas that part of the car furthest from the spear appears to have been abandoned for decades. One has a small tree growing through the engine block, with a spear stuck in the roof and into the seat below- a relatively intact skeleton sits inside, the spear entering its shoulder and descending into the ribcage. The door for the seat next to the skeleton is open, and parts of the seat remain, plastic foam and fake leather. That's not true for any other car.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Hm. Nick takes that metal stick again and touches it against the spear. There's clearly some sort of field around them, but he can't tell if it's some sort of temporal nonsense or simply something about them that slows natural degradation. If it's the latter they would probably be safe to touch.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Nothing happens when the stick touches the spear, except a clunk. It's firmly lodged in place, or else it might move a little if the poke is hard enough. There's no visible change to the spear, either.

A few car-lengths away, a black sphere straight-up disappears. It leaves a car behind that is pristine except for the boot and rear of the car, which had been sticking out the back. The tarmac underneath is slightly worn but nowhere near as decrepit as anywhere else, and there's a black spear embedded in the bonnet and engine. some lights on it fading to inactivity.

Even if Nick's not looking in the right direction to see the sphere's dissipation, there's noise as well. An engine suddenly starting only to nearly immediately stutter out and stumble due to the spear impaling it, and a woman's voice screaming in panic and fear. She's the driver; a woman in her mid-fifties, hair dyed bright purple and wearing a large coat. There's nobody else in the car with her, though the back seats have been piled with some bags and boxes.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Nick pads over to the car as quick as he can, looking up into the car window.
"Ma'am, please do not panic. I think you've been the victim of some sort of weapon. Please get away from that spear in your car as quick as you can." he calls in a voice that is impossibly clear for a voice coming out of a griffin's beak. Hopefully she's not the type to panic just from looking at him.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Unfortunately, the woman's never seen a griffon before (unless you count a griffon bruxellois) and last thing she remembers was something like a jet shooting that black spear into her engine block. Panicking is not something she can opt out of, here. As Nick approaches her car, she locks the door and presses the button to close the window, which fortunately is still working. She also reaches over and grabs a metal lacrosse stick, which is really too long to be used inside the car but as she's now crawling to the passenger side perhaps she's planning on getting out and fighting. Getting over there's tricky, however, as there's a plastic-wrapped cardboard tray of water bottles on that seat.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Nick sighs. Of course. He drops to the ground and then stands up completely, now a human in his thirties wearing a recreation of his original NCR Ranger’s kit. Without the mask; he always hated wearing it.
”Ma’am, you’re in danger in that car. Please get out of there.” he says loud enough to be heard through the glass, gently knocking on it. Clearly that bird thing was only a trick of the light.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The woman calms down a little when she looks back and sees Nick's human form. She'll push the bottles of water down into the footwell and climb out the opposite side of the car to Nick anyway, holding her lacrosse stick tight. "What... what happened? It's... The sun's wrong. Everything's wrecked. That spaceship launched at lunch, it was afternoon when these triangles appeared and started shooting. There was a jet, a spear hit its wing and expanded into a black bubble, and the jet crashed. One hit my engine, flashed, and... then I saw this monster. How... what's going on?" She's calming down now, but she's still close to panic. Good news is, though, that it seems that spear probably isn't dangerous any more- if it was dangerous in the first place, considering it apparently stopped time for everything in the bubble. Still, something happened to kill people, else there wouldn't be so many bones... But then, what happens to someone caught on the edge of a time-stop bubble, with part of their body frozen and the rest not?

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Nick doesn’t understand how the spears turn into time fields, or why this one suddenly fizzled out. Either way he doesn’t want to get caught in a time bubble if it re-arms.
”I’m not sure where you’re from Miss, but you were caught in one of those bubbles for what looks like a very long time. You’re not that far from my city but it’s probably not the city you’re from. We can grab the food and water we can carry from your car and get you there. How does that sound?”
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"London. I'm from London. How'd the invasion go, did we kick the bastards off our planet?" A question Nick won't know the answer to, most likely. She'll open the door of her car and pull out the water, setting it to one side before opening the back to get some food. Mostly it's tinned stuff, with bags of dried pasta, evaporated milk, jars of honey or marmalade, and several boxes of teabags. She's also packed a sleeping bag, and in the boot is a cardboard box containing a barbeque and a bag of charcoal, though as part of the boot was outside the time bubble the box has disintegrated, part of the barbeque's gone rusty and the bag of charcoal has split.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

"No clue. I'm from California. And it could be a different Earth. Like I said, there's some weird time and space things going on." Nick waits for her to get out the things she's willing to carry.

"For the record, that bubble popped around you when I touched one of those spears. I don't think they're related at all. Probably just coincidental timing. But just in case when you're ready and far enough away from them I'm going to throw this rock at another one. Could still be more people inside." he explains, hefting another stone.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"I don't... remember a bubble." It stopped her in time, until it popped. She experienced nothing between the bubble's formation and its dispersion. She'll haul as much as she can as she follows Nick- and it should be noted, she appears to have gotten ready to leave in a hurry. Whilst the car's loaded with useful items, and she's wearing a pair of jeans and a nice jumper, she doesn't have shoes on. Her feet are in fluffy pink slippers. She prepped the car to go the day before she actually decided to leave, hoping she'd avoid the crowd.

She'll stay and watch though as Nick hefts his stone and throws it at one of the other spears, although there's no immediate reaction after the stone hits the spear.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

"It probably put you in stasis the instant it formed. You wouldn't remember it. Well, nothing. And I don't have the degree needed to inspect these. I'll have to ask Geneva about it." He looks around.
"I got here from that way, so that way is where we have to go. Are you ready?" he asks her. "Oh yeah, what's your name? I'm Nick."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

There's a sudden roar of a low-flying jet followed shortly after by a crash and explosion as the bubble projected around the jet fighter's wing pops and it returns to its prior momentum. It hits one of the other cars and bubbles and bursts into flames, spraying jet fuel around which then ignites. Hopefully none of the bubbles will burst whilst the fire rages.

"Ah! Uh, right. My name. Mary Goldsmith. I was a store manager at a clothes shop." Which she's not expecting to matter much, but hey, you never know.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

"Oh ok. I guess they are related." Kind of unexpected.
"Um. Maybe we should just wait here for a few minutes in case someone else needs rescuing. Let's get you to a safe distance." Nick will attempt to evacuate Mary to at least a little bit of a safe distance before returning to the site to make sure no one un-freezes and then burns alive in their car.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Ruined Motorway

"It... might still be chance? Or mostly chance? The fact the bubble stopped and... some of these don't look as old as others... it might be the spear's not affected by the bubble, and now they're running out of whatever powers them or something? Which doesn't explain why some are so much older, I guess. Unless they had different power sources?" But it's alien technology, and she's ultimately guessing. It does seem odd that they'd pop after a different bubble was poked or prodded.

Another bubble disappears, and a moped is revealed near the edge, its engine running. The rider wasn't entirely in the bubble; there's an intact leg clad still in the rider's business suit, but the rest was outside the bubble and is probably missing. Either the limb was amputated and they escaped, or it wasn't and their bones now litter the motorway amongst all the others.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ruined Motorway

Nick considers it. "Well, if it's an issue of power, they should all fade around the same time, assuming they all carried the same initial charge. Probably within an hour of each other. In which case...we could just give it fifteen minutes to see if anyone else comes out?" He can't sit here with this poor woman forever, but he can't just abandon possible other victims either. Waiting a few minutes seems reasonable.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"Who knows, really? Besides of the aliens that shot them." She doesn't know what's happened to them, but she doesn't think they've won. Or else not settled this area. Or what they looks like; all she's seen was the saucers.

She'll go to turn off the moped, so it's not wasting fuel and she can potentially use it to get away if needed. She's ignoring the leg next to it.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ruined Motorway -Procyon Run

Nick waits for a bit, but it seems like the rest of the bubbles aren't popping.
"Well, we gave it time. But if we wait too long it'll be dark before I can get you to shelter. We had probably better get going." Nick tells her, shouldering his rifle again.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"Should we maybe leave a note? Though if any pop overnight it'll be really hard for them to know. And it'd be really disorientating, I bet. My phone's time says it's it's eleven o'clock in the morning." So she's probably going to be suffering from something adjacent to jetlag, as her circadian rhythms are out of whack. She'll hoist the case of water and start to go wherever Nick leads, carrying all she can.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

"Well, it's a decent enough middle-ground. It's something at least."
Nick removes one of the car doors from a rusted wreck and puts a nice big sign on it by scratching it with his knife.
CITY OF INSIDE -> THAT WAY
Not exactly art but it will at least give people a chance. For good measure he'll leave the rest of Mary's water that they can't carry with them in the shade between the sign and the car he leaves it next to, so anyone who finds it will have the excess supplies too.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Mary will add some of her tinned food as well, just in case, and then they head off! She's definitely following, which is handy because she has no idea where they're going.

Exactly what happens depends on if they're sticking to the road or cutting across country. The road is usually safer, though Nick might not know the way; he did arrive perpendicular to it, after all.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Nick follows the road for now. Going the way he did is liable to run into several obstacles that humans will not be able to easily get around.
As they walk, Nick tries to broach a subject that is rather important.
"So Mary. It's important that you know that the rules here don't work like in England. You're going to see people who don't look human. There are things that will sound like magic but are very real. If I tell you to do something you're going to have to trust me to get you to the city alive, okay?"
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

As they carry on, the cars impaled by the spears, as well as black spheres, decrease in frequency and eventually the cars die out entirely. The road's surface remains quite tricky, especially for Mary's slipper-clad feet, and she stumbles reasonably often.

Fortunately, after a while, a sign of survivors appears. An electronic signpost over the road has got a shack of rubbish built atop it, and a nearby dumper lorry filled with soil has a ladder leaning against it, a crop of tomato plants growing in it. The ladder's being hoisted up by the shack's inhabitant, a sunbeaten man wearing ragged trousers held up by an extension cable used as a belt, an unbuttoned shirt, and a battered baseball cap. Once the ladder's up, he picks up a crude crossbow and shouts down at the newcomers. "Who're you an' what do yer want?"

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Nick waves the man away. He turns just a bit to make his revolver obvious, though he makes no motion to draw it.
"We don't want anything, buddy. We're just passing through. Put that thing down." he calls up to the man.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Ruined Motorway- Near Procyon Run, Gantry Camp

"Speak for yourself." Mary says to Nick. "If you've got spare shoes, I'll give you a tin of pineapple slices." Is then called out.
The man in his small field grins. "Sure! Been too long since I had pineapple. Gotta eat it before it eats you." He'll lower the ladder and head over to a beat-up car, popping open the boot and grabbing a cardboard shoe box. "I hope these fit."

Apparently they do, as after going over there, Mary does give him a tin of pineapple and puts the shoes on- a pair of trainers, looking practically new. "Where'd you get these?"
"The bubbles up the road pop. Someone had these in their car, but... their head weren't in the bubble. I buried 'em on the verge, with hopefully the right head. They don't fit me, but I figured someone'd need 'em eventually, if anyone survived those time thingies." Mary nods in understanding, but doesn't know whose shoes they were.

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ruined Motorway, Gantry Camp

"Fair enough. We couldn't carry all of Mary's supplies so we left some by the cars in case anyone else comes out of a bubble. If your supplies get low, you could take some of them." Nick offers.
"We're on our way to the city." he explains.