Apocalypse Junction

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Re: Apocalypse Junction

Post by Ironsmith »

[Abandoned Motorway - Camp]

At Harmony's query, Alice turns and stares at her for a moment, eying the arrow wound. "...I could go raiding again." She points out. "'Ind so'ething rolling through the wilderness and drag the' 'ack here, still 'reathing."

"Alice, no." Yatos yowls, hugging himself. "That's... really messed up."

"Hn." The archer stands. "I suggest you co'e u' with so'ething else, then. She's your 'et, a'ter all."

"Uh..." The catboy looks between Khannie and Harmony as thoigh expecting one of them to have an answer.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.

Tags:
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Green Goo
Oh that's a tasty cookie. It's a little weird to eat it with your back though. Mariblex blorps their vacuole in two so that, now rejuvenated, they can blast the invisible slime with flames.
Hopefully that doesn't damage the key. Of course if it does, they can probably destroy the door anyway. They're pretty strong when they need to be (although whether that still holds in their merged form remains to be seen).
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Green Goo

Rejuvenated, Rowan gives a good draconic growl (he's still not very threatening) and spews another blast of fire at the very slow moving ooze.

Meanwhile!

Ratticus takes a bite of the cheese.
"Hey, you want in on this? Some real food might make you feel better." he offers to Thaddeus. His skeletal minion crumbles to dust.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Green Goo]

The poor, utterly innocent cube ooze dies in a horrible conflagration. Thankfully the flames aren't hot enough to melt the bronze key, but it WILL be glowing a soft dark cherry red by the time Mariblex retrieves it. But hey!

Now they've got the key!

Which means it's finally time.

Time to open the door to the throne room...

BUT FIRST!

Thaddeus is offered some cheese. By a talking rat.

It's just that sort of day, isn't it?

"That isn't magical cheese, is it?" he asks skeptically.

BUT NOW BACK TO THE THRONE ROOM!

Mariblex sticks the key into the padlock, giving it a twist and causing the lock to fall away. Then it's just a matter of pushing open the doors and what do our heroes find?

A throne room draped with slime roots rather than banners.

Three once adventurers, now merely human-shaped slime creatures held coherent by a wire-frame cytoskeleton similar to Mariblex. One holding a staff that oozes with caustic sludge. One holding a mace and shield, the shield's holy symbol defaced with the symbol of Juiblex, a stylized weeping eye. One holding and axe, embers of hellfire drifting off it.

And behind them?

Stands a throne.

And atop the throne?

A great big ball of green snot with a crown sitting on it and what LOOKS suspiciously like a gray mustache. Obviously it can't REALLY be a mustache since slimes don't have facial hair.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Green Goo
The throne room! And those are slime zombie adventurers... And that's a slime king. How did it grow a mustache?
Mariblex looks at the slimes. "We could be human-shaped like that. It'd make it easier to fight them." Just use a little magic to assist in reshaping their cytoskeleton. It'd be easy. Of course Mariblex might not want to be human-shaped. They've gotten used to being a slime dragon.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Abandoned Motorway - Camp]

"Something alive hasn't gotta be people," Khannie points out, a little exasperated. "There are animals and stuff out in the wastes, too."

Like rabbits!

And coyotes!

Some of them even aren't horrible radioactive mutants.

Khannie's ears swivel this way and that.

Are there any birds around? If one's close enough she could probably snag it with her magic.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Green Goo

"Naw, just the good kind." Ratticus insists, but soon the group has bigger fish to fry.

Rowan glances between the various slimes assembled before them. The desecrated shield has rather scary implications.
"...I don't suppose I can interest anyone in blueberry pie?" he asks hopefully, eyes going over the slimey group.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Green Goo]

"We COULD but they're regular old slime zombies. We're a slime DRAGON. That's way cooler," Mariblex counters. This is very true. Being a dragon is exceptionally cool and no doubt Rowan will be more than happy to back Mariblex up on this one.

Anyway!

A very important offer is made here.

The group of slimes responds right away. Or more specifically, THE KING SLIME responds! A single crimson, alien eye opens up right int he middle of the slime and begins weeping at the sight of our heroes.

"I shall have your pie. But first you shall be executed. Doh ho ho ho!" the slime burbles.

The slime wizard raises her staff and releases a freezing cone of cold at our heroes! The heat is sucked from the air and very likely from the bodies of our heroes, too! And as if that weren't bad enough the slime cleric follows up with a strike of dark fire that burns flesh even as it rots it!

Definitely not a friendly way to begin a conversation. Doesn't help that the slime barbarian begins charging toward them, too.

Probably wasn't the best plan to let the baddies take initiative. But live and learn, right?

Meanwhile!

Thaddeus eats some cheese. And hears a fight start! He begins ru-

Oh wait no.

Not running.

Kind of... shuffling?

As quickly as he can?

Toward the throne room.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Green Goo
Mariblex does not like being frozen, but they can handle the dark flame. "Augh! Rowan! Got any healing cakes?" Those ice crystals in their gel don't look healthy.
While they're saying this, they're also charging, moving to tackle the barbarian slime by the legs and knock it off its feet. That should make it easier for Mariblex to stop it or finish it off.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Green Goo

Rowan is saved only by the fact that he dived for cover the instant he heard the snideness of the slime king's voice. Because he absolutely would have died if he got hit by both of those spells. He also proved his point by the fact that when he lands on his belly he practically bounces into a roll. He comes up behind a wall looking rather worse for wear.
He fusses through his apron pocket and finds a particularly smushed cookie. Eh, it's going into their face anyway. He throws it with pretty decent accuracy at Mariblex even though they proceeded to run straight at an enemy while asking for heals which may or may not go badly. It's a cookie of fortitude and recovery, which should be what they want.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Green Goo]

So one of the big upsides to being a slime dragon is that you're pretty big and strong. Mariblex has the combined body mas of both Mary and Lex AND a bit more form eating chunks out of the hungering root. They are absolutely not small. So when they charge the barbarian for a tackle it's a pretty simple matter to seize the axe right at the apex of the backswing with their tentacles and shove the weapon off-targert right before plowing into the other slime and sending it bouncing away. Of course, that isn't going to do much in the way of damage but it DID send the barbarian sprawling.

And then before the barbarian can get back up Mariblex plants a paw on the barbarian's chest, clamps their jaws down on the slime's core, and rips it free before spitting it off to one side where it rolls away. The rest of the slime just sort of... slumps into a heap now that nothing's directing it.

To make matters worse the cleric slime calls down another strike of dark fire atop Mariblex! Thankfully they're quite resistant to hellfire. The goopy part of the barbarian slime? Not so much. It begins sizzling and popping and rotting and filling the air with foul fumes.

The wizard slime fires a little ice ray at Mariblex while busily trying tow eave a more potent spell.

Also?

A healing cookie just splatted onto Mariblex' butt.

Whatever works, right?

"Doh ho ho! How exciting! I wonder who will die next?" the King Slime chortles.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Green Goo
The further rays of frost don't help, but the cookie does. It's still weird to eat things by absorbing them. The feeling of the cookie splatting through Mariblex's membrane is very unusual.
"We've gotta get rid of that wizard," Mariblex says. They jump away from the destroyed barbarian slime and stretch out their tentacles, attempting to snatch the staff out of the wizard slime's hand. Hopefully it's one of the wizards who needs a staff to cast magic. Then their other or Rowan can hopefully finish it off
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Green Goo

Rowan really wishes he had more wizardly powers right now. He can't just keep throwing cookies into Mariblex's backside. If only he could throw fireballs. He goes for well, kind of a dumber approach.
Rowan slips around the corner while the cleric and wizard are busy blasting Mariblex. He pumps his wings, bringing him into the air-

and then holds them in place, sending him dropping like a very large blue stone on top of the cleric.
Given that he weighs more or less an actual ton, that is not advised to be under.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Green Goo]

Rowan really needs to learn how to eldritch blast things.

Maybe he could throw pies made out of pure eldritch magic?

That would be bakery themed, right?

Anyway! The slime wizard gets her staff stolen! This is definitely a problem, since she needs a focus to cast her spells. Well, a problem for her, anyway. Less so a problem for Mariblex and friends. Or maybe, more accurately, the slime wizard needs the staff to cast advanced spells. Doesn't need them to toss another frost bolt at Mariblex, though this time around the aim isn't being aided by the staff's magic. Definitely easier to dodge this time.

As for the cleric slime?

It begins casting a healing spell on the barbarian slime's core! Goop begins sloughing off the walls and across the floor, rapidly rebuilding an oozy body for the downed warrior.

This means the slime cleric isn't paying much attention to the fact that Rowan just did a hip-drop on it, splattering it everywhere. Hard to cast spells when you're a greasy green smear on the floor. This doesn't seem to have put the monster down for the count, though. It's trying to pull itself back together again but it'll take a bit.

"Doh ho ho how exciting! Yes yes, fight to your heart's content!" the king slime chortles, his single red eye darting back and forth between Mariblex and Rowan.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Abandoned Motorway- Alice's Camp

"I'd normally go with, but, uh, I'm... not exactly fit to do so right now." Because of the arrow in her gut.

There may well be birds nearby, but being Ironsmith's campsite I'll let him decide if so and what.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Green Goo
"What is your deal, blobman!?" Mariblex exasperatedly exclaims at the king slime. "Augh!" They get chilled again. "Cut it out!" Their tentacles extend into whips of hellfire, swiping and slashing through the slime wizard.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Green Goo

"I'm sorry." Rowan tells the poor cleric's slime core.
"Have you considered being friends instead? He gently lays a piece of blueberry pie on top of the core, for consumption as the cleric reforms.

And then he turns to the big slime king.
"Don't mind if I do!" He proceeds to charge up and attempt to absolutely clobber it with his staff.
He's not really interested in making friends with this one.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Green Goo]

Disarmed and now clobbered with burning limbs, the blob wizard goes down into a hissing, burning heap of charred sludge. As is usually the case with wizard types it doesn't look like it was very durable. Heated as much as it is, the creature's cytoskeleton begins melting and it just sort of slumps into a blazing blob of sludge. It'll probably burn to death within a minute or two if nothing further is done.

Meanwhile! The cleric slime is busy trying to reform, slowly pulling itself back together and violently rejecting the piece of pie. It gets hurled across the room and splats ignobly against the far wall. It would appear as though the slime has no desire to be friends. Unlike Eesha, these slimes are empowered with malevolent cunning and desire only to cause death and destruction. Being friends isn't on the menu.

Then Rowan takes his staff and charges toward the king slime-!
-only to get blind-sided by the reformed slime barbarian! The slime attempts to shoulder-check into Rowan to knock him on his butt and then proceeds to vomit extremely slippery, caustic goop everywhere! Thankfully it's just regular acidic goop as opposed to sticky turns you into slime goop.

Oh hey look!

Thaddeus and Eesha have finally arrived!

Thaddeus fires his crossbow at the barbarian slime, briefly staggering it as it hefts its axe up in the air.

"Rowan is best! Win Rowan win!" Eesha cheers since she has basically zero in combat use.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Green Goo
All right, all the little slimes are down... Except the berserker, which is back up. Mariblex thinks the others have that under control though. They rush towards the slime king. The hellfire whips served them well a moment ago, so hopefully they'll serve well again. "Just die, you weirdo blob!"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Green Goo

Wow! That stings! A Lot! It is in fact extraordinarily unpleasant!
"Hey fuckface, I can do that too." spits the very slimed dragon, who proceeds to spray fire absolutely everywhere all over the barbarian slime.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Green Goo]

Probably a good thing that Lex gave Rowan that ring of acid resistance, right? Because otherwise that acid spit attack would have been WAY worse. Though probably not as bad as the fire breath is for the barbarian slime. It's now very on fire and flailing around and melting and yeah now it's a burning heap of goop.

The cleric slime, which has managed to pull itself back together again, raises its defaced shield toward the burning pile of wizard slime and begins- oh wait it just got shot by Thaddeus. Which removed the arm with the unholy symbol of Juiblex. The ooze begins shuffling towards the removed limb.

Mariblex, meanwhile, slaps the heck out of the king slime! Now his mustache is on fire!

"Oof! My my this isn't how it's supposed to work at all! You're supposed to defeat my minions first or die trying while I chortle at the show!" the king slime objects. "How rude! I simply WON'T watch instead!"

And then the red weeping eye on the king slime pops like a pimple, causing the burning slime to begin slumping into a heap of burning sludge with a gilded crown sitting atop it.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Green Goo
"That's it? That was weird," Mariblex comments. The last surviving slime (the cleric) should be easy for the three of them to finish off. They'll just repeat the fire breath combo with Rowan hopefully joining in.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Green Goo

Rowan scratches his head, not entirely sure what he just watched.
"Lex? That wasn't that thing you were talking about before of your namesake popping in when they feel like it, was it?"
Because he remembers Lex saying he was nervous about that being a thing they could just do.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Green Goo]

The cleric slime is still shuffling toward its shield, which Thaddeus shoots with another bolt to knock it further away.

"It might have been?" Mariblex replies to Rowan. "I haven't ever seen it before so I'm not sure. But those big red crying eyes match his iconography. I wouldn't have guessed he would be so..."

Affably evil?

Maybe that's why intelligent slimes are so jolly.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Green Goo
Well, if Rowan isn't going to breathe fire at the cleric slime, Mariblex will. Time to incinerate it.
"So what do we do now that we've killed the king slime?" They didn't find Thaddeus's friends, it seems. Unless those slime adventurers were them, in which case they should probably do something about that. Do the slime adventurers (or what's left of them) smell like the missing party members?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Green Goo

"Well...I guess we loot the place for shinies and magic items? And then I guess the last place to check are the vaults like the one we met at?" Rowan suggests. They didn't really have a goal besides "get stuff" and maybe find Thaddeus' friends if they were savable.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Green Goo]

The slime adventurers do indeed smell kind of like Thaddeus' friends, but the smell is almost completely washed out. There isn't much left of them.

"Collect what loot we can. Then head down to the vaults next,"
Mariblex answers their own question. They're about to say something ELSE out loud but suddenly something happens!

The throne sort of... Cracks.

And crinkles.

Like it's getting pulled in on itself.

Then a little more. And a little MORE. Until the whole thing just sort of crunches away into the wall along with a good five feet of the stonework in all directions. A tunnel leads off into the darkness, the walls throbbing with a kaleidoscope of different colored slime roots.

Well!

That's certainly something!

This also results in the crown falling into the tunnel and bouncing out of sight.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Green Goo
"These are what's left of your friends," Mariblex says to Thaddeus, "What do you want to do with them?"

Then... Something.
"What the Hell is that?" Mariblex looks at the weird tunnel hesitantly. Either it's about to disgorge some bizarre monster, or they're supposed to go down there but it's a trap.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Green Goo

"Well, if there's anything in here that isn't from the slime-zombies, I'll look around. But all their stuff rightfully belongs to Thaddeus. They were his friends." Rowan is NOT going to take that from him.

He glances at the slime-tunnel. "That looks foreboding. And tight." A diameter of 10 feet means it would definitely be only barely big enough for him. Especially with pulsating gunk on the walls he doesn't want to touch.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Somewhere in the Desert]
Earl of Purple wrote: Feb 06, 2024 3:36 pm "Sure, go for it. Good luck. Hey, Arkibald. Our visitor's gonna go check it out. Slow down so he can get off, yeah?" The bondvagn does slow down after that, coming to a stop a good distance away from the figure.

As Hoshiki approaches, something will slowly try to edit his perceptions using psychic powers. If it works, he'll see the figure as a young woman wearing dark brown robes who turns as he approaches. She's got tanned skin, with a nasty burn across her eyes which are cloudy and white, clearly blind. "Help! Help, please help!"

If it doesn't work:
► SHOW SPOILER
The swordsman jumps off the vehicle before it's come to a full stop. He walks towards the figure, holding up his hands to appear non-threatening to whoever it might be. He slows down when he feels some force acting on his mind. He lowers his hands and narrows his eyes. It is a similar feel to one caused by the Dreamer at the park, where he fought the moth-dragon.

He stops some distance away from the figure, outside the circle of white "stones", though he realizes he might've already walked past some hidden under the sand. "What are you?", he asks aloud, though he is not perfectly sure this thing understands language.