Seaside

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: Seaside

Post by Keeper »

Port Valdez

"Oh, well I don't know much about scuba gear since I'm a fish." Henry admits.
"I think I did see a few sunken ships. And I felt this really nice current of cool water on the way which might have been from an underwater cave." he explains. From the sound of it Henry really likes cold water.

Tags:
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Ruins
"Not now. I ate too recently too. But for later." Hopefully Dizzy doesn't have a problem with eating food sacrificed to idols, because that's one of the two places Sele gets her food (the other is Trog's Tavern).
Once they're out of the cave and the old church, Sele leads Dizzy down through the remains of the town to her camp, which sits on the beach, looking out at the bay. "If you don't mind me asking, how did your world end?"
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Port Valdez Noodle Stand

Stephen and Otto will be approached by Harriet, who stops a bit short of their table to breathe deeply to try and calm down a little, which sure enough slows the steady clicking of her PipBoy. "Um, hi. I've just arrived. Could I have some noodles, and directions to any dangerous tasks that need doing? I'm... An adventurer, I guess? And I'm pretty hard to kill." At least, she hasn't died yet. And Magdalene says even if she did die it wouldn't stick.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Keeper wrote: Aug 30, 2023 1:28 am Port Valdez

"Oh, well I don't know much about scuba gear since I'm a fish." Henry admits.
"I think I did see a few sunken ships. And I felt this really nice current of cool water on the way which might have been from an underwater cave." he explains. From the sound of it Henry really likes cold water.

[Port Valdez]

"A-ah, right. Yeah, that makes sense," June says.

June awkwardly waits there for a couple moments, before realizing: oh, hey! If Henry didn't intend to come here, that probably means he's free. Which means, "Hey, if you don't have anything to do, want to show me where that cave would be? And maybe help me find a scuba place, too."

"I...I can pay you to compensate for your time," she adds. She bites her lip, hoping he says 'yes'.

As it happens, there's actually a scuba rental place not far! It's actually one of the houses out in the water, with the rental part of the building sticking out above water, that you either need to swim to or take a boat, since the store owner is actually a mermaid. Store's got signs on it saying things like "SCUBA" "exploration equipment" "mermaid's kiss" "mapping" and "fishing tours".

Rebonack wrote: Aug 29, 2023 10:49 pm [Port Valdez Noodle Stand]

The owner of the noodle stand, for the record, has the lower half of an octopus and the upper half of a human. He isn't a sea witch that makes contracts with people, though. He's a noodle-smith who makes noodles. If he were a noodle-smith that DIDN'T make noodles that would be kind of odd.

"Noodles are pretty great as usual, Otto. You hear about anything interesting going on nearby lately?" Stephen asks as the woman with the disc mace approaches. "I've got a three day layover while Gloobabloop is working on my rig."
Earl of Purple wrote: Aug 30, 2023 9:43 am Port Valdez Noodle Stand

Stephen and Otto will be approached by Harriet, who stops a bit short of their table to breathe deeply to try and calm down a little, which sure enough slows the steady clicking of her PipBoy. "Um, hi. I've just arrived. Could I have some noodles, and directions to any dangerous tasks that need doing? I'm... An adventurer, I guess? And I'm pretty hard to kill." At least, she hasn't died yet. And Magdalene says even if she did die it wouldn't stick.
[Port Valdez Noodle Stand]

Otto the noddle-smith, upon noticing Harriet approach, starts preparing more noodles, and - after confirming that Harriet wants noodles, asks what she wants added to the noodles. He gives a few options, and starts preparing it.

And! While preparing it, he multi-tasks and answers both of their questions at the same time. He's actually a pretty decent multi-tasker, which is how he manages to prepare food so quickly.

"Oh, yes, there's actually quite a few things that just recently came up," One of his tentacles reaches out behind him and grabs onto a stack of papers, and brings them over to the counter. "If you're looking for some quick cash, the bounty office just sent these out." A tentacle removes the top three papers from the pile, and another tentacle splays out the remaining pile. "I recommend these ones, they're safer and just need to take 'em in, or for some of them, collect payment from them," he says. They've got people like Mr. Chipper Toes, John Blackeye, and the One-Eyed Wendy.
The other three, however, "These ones are pretty dangerous, wouldn't recommend. Everyone sent after Captain Slyvester Shadows and his crew have died."

He adds a few more things to the Harriet's noodles, and turns up the heat.
"Besides that..." He stirs. "Well, a ship was recently scuttled over that way. Nobody knows why. Only one survivor, but he keeps on ranting and raving and so most people can't get much out of him. Someone needs to figure out what happened, and first one to do it gets salvager's rights."

Otto finishes the noodles for Harriet, and then turns to Stephen. "Speaking of Gloobabloop, I was told someone's trying to buy up all repair-related imports. Gloobs has a personal deliveryman so everything's going to be fine for a month, but if you end up hearing anything about what's going on, I'm sure they'll appreciate it."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Thursday Violist wrote: Aug 30, 2023 3:42 pm [Port Valdez]

"A-ah, right. Yeah, that makes sense," June says.

June awkwardly waits there for a couple moments, before realizing: oh, hey! If Henry didn't intend to come here, that probably means he's free. Which means, "Hey, if you don't have anything to do, want to show me where that cave would be? And maybe help me find a scuba place, too."

"I...I can pay you to compensate for your time," she adds. She bites her lip, hoping he says 'yes'.

As it happens, there's actually a scuba rental place not far! It's actually one of the houses out in the water, with the rental part of the building sticking out above water, that you either need to swim to or take a boat, since the store owner is actually a mermaid. Store's got signs on it saying things like "SCUBA" "exploration equipment" "mermaid's kiss" "mapping" and "fishing tours".
Port Valdez

"Well, sure. It sounds like it would be an INVESTIGATION." he says that as if the distinction is very important.
"I think if you want to find a scuba place you want to go closer to the edge of town where it's mostly water. I think I saw them over there." he indicates back where he came from. IE, the direction of the ocean.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

"Looks like some hired muscle and a mystery to or two to solve," Stephan says, looking over the recent reports with a discerning eye. "Probably not a great idea to try throwing down with a cut-throat like Sylvester. Especially not when my rig is in for repairs."

Stephan isn't a slouch when it comes to hand-to-hand. While most of the humans around here haven't got any elemental affiliations and thus no Moves that hardly makes Stephan invincible, though. And the first thing any good merc who plans on staying alive needs to learn are his own limits. Going up against a crew of pirates? Not a chance.

But something like investigating a scuttled ship?

Being able to water-shift means he can snoop around stealthily and get a clean picture of what's going on. That's easy salvage and easy salvage means easy cash.

He takes another bite from his bowl of soup, then points spoon at the newcomer.

"You must be awfully confident, looking for danger before your butt's even on a stool. What's your story, stranger?"
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Ruins]

Dizzy has no idea where the meat came from so there is a good chance Dizzy will neither ask about it nor care.

So!

Back to the seaside they go. Dizzy walks at a casual pace, fingers laced behind the head. Even if this is some creepy ruined village that was ruled over by some jerk of a god it's still way more pleasant than the end of the world. Sure it smells a bit like rotting fish and low tide but that's better than a world that smells like death and ashes no matter where you go.

This place is still alive.

Once they reach the beach Dizzy stretches and lays down, wings and tail splayed out in all directs. The warm summer sun and sand feel nice.

"Judgement," Dizzy replies without missing a beat. "And it hadn't ended. Not yet, I don't think. It was pretty messed up, though. Story goes the world ends in a conflagration and a new one gets created. One where Lilith and Samyaza and Halael and all their goons won't be able to make trouble anymore. They way it was supposed to be before humans broke everything."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Port Valdez Noodle Stand

"I got lost, fell into a god, and nearly froze to death before someone found me and helped me mug a different god for power. It's why I'm staying over here; the power I took is a bit literal, and includes radiation." Harriet orders whatever fish is freshest with her noodles, and takes a double-headed gold coin from a lead box to pay.

"I still am lost, actually. It's why I'm in a partly flooded town when I can't actually swim... Though I don't think drowning would kill me." Which is one reason why she's not really suited to facing Captain Sylvester Shadows.

Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Keeper wrote: Aug 30, 2023 4:13 pm Port Valdez

"Well, sure. It sounds like it would be an INVESTIGATION." he says that as if the distinction is very important.
"I think if you want to find a scuba place you want to go closer to the edge of town where it's mostly water. I think I saw them over there." he indicates back where he came from. IE, the direction of the ocean.
[Port Valdez]

June isn't sure why 'INVESTIGATION' needs to be so distinct and important.

However, Henry says it with enough confidence that June is now under the impression that it absolutely is now an INVESTIGATION.

"Oh, really?" June says. She looks off towards the wet part of town, trying to see if she can spot the scuba place he's mentioning.

She slithers towards the beach, and only stops to say, "Wait, before we get there, let's make sure to discuss how much the compensation you for help in this investigation is," she says. She starts talking about it and an amount that seems fair.

Swimming to the scuba shop is interesting, at least for June. Having a long snake body and many arms makes swimming a bit different than before she got caught up in the whole mess that led to this.

Anyway. Scuba rental place. There's an entrance underwater, and one above water (though calling it "above water" would be a little generous, as the current tides make the floor just covered in enough water to get one's ankles wet). Just as well, though, as a mermaid runs the shop.

There's scuba and equipment rental, for sure, as well as advertisements for various other things. And there's even a poster that mentions a partial refund for anyone who provides sufficient maps* of the places they go while renting the equipment.

*what constitutes a 'sufficient map' depends on the context and for more information the viewer is invited to check out a manual that lists the criteria

"Good decision," Otto says as he puts the bounty contracts for Sylvester Shadows and his crew away. "I don't even know why the bounty office hands out these impossible bounties together with the rest of them. Must be hoping some lucky fool of a drifter whose only thing emptier than their head is their purse," he says.

Otto grabs a large parrotfish that was just caught just fifteen minutes ago (this one tastes pretty similar to crab!), and starts preparing it right on the stovetop in front of them.
And, with a tentacle grabs Harriet's coin as well as giving her change back.
And with another tentacle, grab a jar so that, once he's done preparing the fish and everything, he can get back to preparing a new chili oil recipe.
He's actually pretty glad these two customers appear to have hit it off, because he'd much rather prefer perfecting this recipe.

The fish is quickly finished, along with the noodles and everything else; Otto places it in front of Harriet. "I'd say you're better off safe than sorry: if you're not certain if you can drown or not, I can point you towards a place to rent out gear." And, he's not just saying this out of the goodness of his heart: he's friends with the person who runs the rental service.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Ruins
Sele lies down in the sand next to Dizzy. "That's a shame. Uh, that it has to end. It's good that there'll be a better one afterwards though." What else can she say to that?
She just sits in silence for a while.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Port Valdez

"Oh, I don't think I'm supposed to take pay as a HALO member for stuff like that. But if we find anything cool I get a share. That's fair, right?"

Meanwhile, at the scuba place: mold, probably. Or maybe the mermaid has special charms for keeping mold out of a half-submerged building.
"This one's all you. I don't really need much equipment since I'm a ghost and a fish. But feel free to get stuff for you! And maybe me if I'm forgetting something obvious. I do that sometimes. Oh! Maybe I should have a bag."
Who knows what you might find in an underwater cave? Maybe a cool rock! Henry's trunks don't have big pockets for carrying cool rocks.
"Oh, wait. You're all snakey. Are you going to be okay with cold water? I know that's a thing with reptiles. And fish actually but I'm weird about that."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Ruins]

"Most things end. But half the time ends aren't really ends. See, the judgement isn't the end of the world. Not really. It's just the end of the beginning," Dizzy replies, watching a few clouds puttering past. "Not sure if it's good that I got booted out when I did. There's probably some sort of reason for it, right? God probably knows what He's doing."

A few seconds of quiet pass.

Just the waves lapping against the sand.

"So this is the sort of place with a whole mess of gods, isn't it?"

"If I've learned anything it's that there are some hideously powerful folk drifting around the Nexus. The sort that could take a whole crew on their own without breaking a sweat. Not sure what they would be doing HERE, though,"
Stephan reasons. As far as he's concerned he's a pretty normal guy. Well, a pretty water guy if you're being technical. Normal guys don't have quite the bag of tricks someone like Stephan has access to but really he would rather let his rig do the talking if violence is the language.

Harry is then given an appraising look.

"Radiation? Really? Are we talking keeping a chunk of thorium in your pocket or are we talking hugging a salt reactor's waste tank here?" Stephan asks.

Because there is a very big difference between those things.

The former is no big deal and the latter will probably kill you.

"...and what exactly does falling into a god even mean?"

An excellent question.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Keeper wrote: Aug 30, 2023 11:55 pm Port Valdez

"Oh, I don't think I'm supposed to take pay as a HALO member for stuff like that. But if we find anything cool I get a share. That's fair, right?"

Meanwhile, at the scuba place: mold, probably. Or maybe the mermaid has special charms for keeping mold out of a half-submerged building.
"This one's all you. I don't really need much equipment since I'm a ghost and a fish. But feel free to get stuff for you! And maybe me if I'm forgetting something obvious. I do that sometimes. Oh! Maybe I should have a bag."
Who knows what you might find in an underwater cave? Maybe a cool rock! Henry's trunks don't have big pockets for carrying cool rocks.
"Oh, wait. You're all snakey. Are you going to be okay with cold water? I know that's a thing with reptiles. And fish actually but I'm weird about that."

[Port Valdez]

June agrees: "Yes, that's fair. I'm doing this more for the adventure than for anything else, anyway."

The mermaid, of course, spends a lot of time cleaning up and using preventative measures and many different kinds of solutions, including magical ones. There's still a lot of places she can't reach easily - mostly higher up of the ground - that have algae and other things. The back edge of the room is just a large hole leading to the underwater section of the building, and speaking of the mermaid, that's where she is right now. She saw them approaching, and swims up, sitting on the edge of the floor, waiting for payment or to answer questions.

"Let's see...I'll need this...and this...and this..." June starts picking various different things. Scuba gear, equipment that's advertised as perfect for undersea caving (to not get lost or anything), and so on. And, apparently, for the sake of the partial refund, she also gets a blank map and a type of grease paint. Plus, getting lost is not something she wants to do.
There definitely is a bag that Henry can get. It even looks fashionable!
"I don't like the cold," she says, "but I don't hibernate or anything. So...yeah, I don't like it, but I can handle it."

She goes over to the mermaid to pay for the things. And the mermaid offers a 'Mermaid's Kiss' as a type of insurance, as well, for just a small extra charge.

"Hey, anything else you think we'll need, or that you wanted?" June asks Henry. "Actually, wait, since you said you got lost on your way here, maybe a map to wherever you wanted to originally go?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Ruins
"Uh, yes," Sele says, "Depending on how you define gods, at least." She's going to continue not mentioning how there are two whole villages worshipping her not that far from here. Really, saying "I'm an arcane deity" is not something to do around strangers. "They mostly seem to keep to themselves, but there's more than a few, uh, jerks."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Port Valdez

"Oh. Um. Well I think I'll worry about that when I get back."
He looks around at the shelves of supplies. "Well, I can see in the dark, and pass through walls, and my teeth are sharp if we need them. So I think I just need the bag? Am I forgetting something?" Henry's not used to having to pack for expeditions.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Keeper wrote: Aug 31, 2023 7:12 pm Port Valdez

"Oh. Um. Well I think I'll worry about that when I get back."
He looks around at the shelves of supplies. "Well, I can see in the dark, and pass through walls, and my teeth are sharp if we need them. So I think I just need the bag? Am I forgetting something?" Henry's not used to having to pack for expeditions.
[Port Valdez]

"Hmmm..." June tries to think of anything Henry might need. "See in the dark means you don't need light. Passing through walls means you won't get trapped or lost, and probably can ignore currents. Ummmmm....Hm. I...don't know if there's anything else you'll need. Just the bag."

Wow.
Henry's powers are pretty much optimized for undersea caving.

"Well, I think I'm going to buy some of these markers just to mark the path in," June says, grabbing some kind of magical power-hammer and metal spikes with reflective markers attached.

After everyone has their equipment, June starts putting on the scuba equipment and leaves. "Oh, wait! Um, just realized," she says just before putting on the mask. "I won't be able to talk to you while we're underwater, so...I'm probably going to have to do hand signals." And, luckily, June has six hands so it's easy to do hand signals.

After they go over a couple, June follows Henry to where he saw the cave.

((You want me to describe it, yeah?))
The cave is fairly deep under a rocky outcropping, but it's pretty wide. And actually, there's a constant flow of colder (and fresher) water coming out of it, requiring anyone trying to go in it to swim against its current.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Port Valdez

"Well, when I turn all ghostly I can't take stuff with me so I'll lose everything. We should try not to make it come to that. Especially since I wouldn't be able to help you with it." He wouldn't want to have to abandon her!

Once they're underwater it should become obvious that Henry's spooky eyes and tiger-shark-stripes glow in the dark. It will make spotting him very easy (but possibly startling).

Henry takes June out to where he felt the chill, pointing it out to her. Despite his not-so-sleek shape he doesn't have any trouble swimming against the current. If June does he can try to take a line with him so she can pull herself through it.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Keeper wrote: Sep 01, 2023 3:18 am Port Valdez

"Well, when I turn all ghostly I can't take stuff with me so I'll lose everything. We should try not to make it come to that. Especially since I wouldn't be able to help you with it." He wouldn't want to have to abandon her!

Once they're underwater it should become obvious that Henry's spooky eyes and tiger-shark-stripes glow in the dark. It will make spotting him very easy (but possibly startling).

Henry takes June out to where he felt the chill, pointing it out to her. Despite his not-so-sleek shape he doesn't have any trouble swimming against the current. If June does he can try to take a line with him so she can pull herself through it.
[Port Valdez]

Glowing stripes and eyes is quite a bit spooky. The first time June notices it, she definitely gets spooked! Even so, it is pretty fortunate, as she figures the glow would be really helpful once they actually get inside the cave.

Once he points it out, she gives him a thumbs up.

Thanks to the size of the cave mouth, the current isn't too fast at the moment. However, if it gets any narrower, June would need help. At least, with the current, it appears like it's going to be easy to find the way back. Even though so far there's only one route, June ends up holding onto the wall and firing one of the marker bolts into the wall.

After following the current enough, they eventually reach a quite large, still completely filled with water, chamber. June fires a second marker into the hole they just came out of so they know which one they came from. This is especially important, because this large chamber appears to have multiple different tunnels in it.

June swims out towards the middle of the chamber, and signals to Henry to wait: she starts drawing out a map of where they've been so far.

Besides the tunnel they came in from, there's five more exits to this chamber. The one on the opposite side is a little narrower and has a cold current coming into the chamber. The hole on the bottom is quite large and the water is harder to see through. The hole on the left seems to be made of some rock with crystals, and the two holes on the right have signs of life: there's some sea sponges and other things like that, and a fish that darts between the two tunnels.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Port Valdez Noodle Stand

"Currently, it's about... One rad every five seconds. If I get upset or start throwing fire or lightning around, it can get considerably worse. I'm trying to stay calm and convert it into heat, but... it's not very efficient." It takes a look at her PipBoy to get the rate down, as she's stopped listening to its incessant clicks.

"If I knew how I did it, I'd have not done it. I don't think most people who do make it out." And she doesn't remember anything much between collapsing in exhaustion and waking up in the tree wearing the fur given to her by Magdalene.

She sits down and takes a bite of her noodles, and makes a loud MMMM of appreciation, and then doesn't stop eating.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Stephan waves a hand around in the general proximity of Harry and seems to be content with whatever it is that he finds. "Well you aren't putting out as much radiation as a evo-stone so I'm going to say I should be fine."

Even if he already evolved when he was a kid. It's something of a rite of passage where he's from. A whole ritual slash party when someone hits thirteen. Then you're 'culturally' an adult. Just... not really. There's still another five years of learning to adult before you're legally considered one. Either way, if the radiation is less than an evo-stone then it's no big deal.

"I'll just make sure to stay clear if you get upset," he concludes, continue to work on his noodles.

Also?

The explanation on falling into gods really doesn't make much sense, but then again it sounds like Harry doesn't really know what happened, either.

Oh well.

The soup is still good.

[Ruins]

Come on, Selekhael.

You still haven't seen ghostbusters?

When someone asks if you're a god you say yes.

"Back home it kind of depends on how you look at it, I guess. Some gods people just make up. Some of them are shedu just making trouble. Some of them are one of Elyon's seventy sons that joined Halael's rebellion. Some people worship Lilith because they're crazy. There are plenty of powerful beings out there-"

Dizzy takes a handful of sand, letting the grains slip between the fingers.

"Like grains of sand on the seashore. But there's only one Big G God, the creator of the heavens and the earth."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Ruins
"Uh, okay," Sele considers the idea. "What's he like? Is he nice?" What a strange question to ask about a literal god.
This conversation has gone in a strange direction and she's not sure how to recover it.
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[Empty Beach]

"That makes a lot of sense, probably," TASBot says in response to Hoshiki and Aaron."Mostly the stuff about repelling in the same direction with equal force," he adds quickly.

The robot notices Hoshiki's arm and hand, but doesn't say anything about it. Not understanding pain as well as a human might, he assumes that the swordsman's isn't as bad as it probably is.

"Though, repelling the laws of physics isn't totally out of the question," TASBot continues after a moment. "More of a bucket list of physics if you ask me, am I right, guys?"
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Empty Beach]

"I admit such turn of phrase does not make much sense to me", Hoshiki comments the idle musings, "so-called laws of physics merely describe what has been seen to happen. They can be broken or proven false, but repelled?" He shakes his head, slowly turning around. TASbot might notice he's holding his hand close to his body as he moves. "I'd say we have done enough here for today. Let us head back to town. Tomorrow, you two can come here independently to rehearse what you have learned today. I have to take a break tomorrow. I have an important meeting coming up. TASbot-kun, you can give my pay for the day to Aaron-kun. It's only fair, given he put himself on the line today."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Port Valdez

Henry tries to get June's attention and points to the crystalline tunnel first. There is some risk of getting cut but the water is more clear than the other tunnel so it will be easier for June. And the tunnel full of fish might have something equally pointy but alive. So he thinks that's the best option.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Ruins]

See.

That question right there gets a snort out of Dizzy, which probably isn't the answer that Sele was expecting.

"Okay before I answer that question I'm going to need to know what you mean by 'nice'," Dizzy replies, propping up on one elbow to give Sele a studiously serious look.

Why?

Well.

Dizzy doesn't want to misrepresent God.

That wouldn't be very polite, you know?
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Ruins

Sele wasn't really expecting that kind of response, but she should've been. "I don't know. Loving? Merciful? Forgiving?" Huh, that last word sounded different from the others somehow. It's probably nothing.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Ruins]

Huh.

That was interesting.

The last word had more force behind it. More power behind it? Definitely something.

Dizzy can't quite put a finger on what SORT of something, but something none the less.

"Yeah. All those things. But not only those things. God is compassionate, but that doesn't exhaust what He is. He's just, too. If He wasn't then He wouldn't be judging the world, right? I think, maybe above everything else, He's good. That doesn't make a ton of sense most of the time, though. Like, the world in the middle of the apocalypse sure doesn't feel good. But maybe trusting feelings isn't always the best plan."

Haha, yeah.

That's a pretty old question.

How do you square a good God with evil?
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Keeper wrote: Sep 03, 2023 11:52 pm Port Valdez

Henry tries to get June's attention and points to the crystalline tunnel first. There is some risk of getting cut but the water is more clear than the other tunnel so it will be easier for June. And the tunnel full of fish might have something equally pointy but alive. So he thinks that's the best option.
June nods, then gives a thumbs up to show she understands what he's saying.

The crystal-tunnel path is fairly large at first, but gets a little smaller over time, causing the crystals that jut out to be able to scratch someone if they're not careful. As they travel along it, there's several offshoot paths as well, but all of them are too small or have too much crystal growth for someone to easily make it through. Of course, Henry could easily get through there with his ability to phase through things, but that would leave him alone, as June couldn't follow.

The main and largest path continues at a slight upward angle, passing several crystals that actually look pretty interesting and could be sold for a small amount if broken off. June does get a few small scratches on her arms and hands, but they're pretty minor.

The tunnel squeezes such that it's not easy to get through, but immediately after that it opens up into a large, bowl-shaped chamber. And! Up above them, there's actually air! They're still in the cave, though, and to continue along this pathway would require climbing up out of the water and up the wall a ways into another tunnel with more crystals.

But this room is pretty impressive. It's large, and has several crystals of various types. Some of them even have a gentle glow coming from them, so the lighting is similar to night-time. Some of them are even magic, too, but unless one can see magic or something then it'd be hard to distinguish which are which.

June takes a moment to take out the map again and draw what they just went through, and then swims up to the surface. She lets the mouthpiece fall out of her mouth, and says, "Wow."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Ruins
"He sounds like a good God," Sele answers after a thoughtful pause, "Without judgement, evil would be able to grow and fester indefinitely. That's part of why I do this. Uh, kill dangerous gods (uh, little g gods)." Uh oh, Sele just admitted to killing gods, plural.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Ruins]

"Well if you aren't good then you aren't much of a god," Dizzy reasons.

At the next comment comes something a little different. "Because judgement doesn't come swiftly the hearts of men are set upon evil," Dizzy mutters, gazing off into the waves. "But I guess even the apocalypse wasn't judgement. Not the final one, anyway. It's kind of... the last warning. Like, hey, I'm here. Things are bad and you need to shape up. Some people do. Lot of people have, actually. But some of them? I don't think anything could ever convince them to accept being forgiven."

Then?

Dizzy stands up and brushes some sand off.

"If you can kill them then they aren't a god worth writing home about to begin with."