Outside: Grass touch place

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by quillpleasant »

Englebrook

Octavia follows the sheriff to the back, looking around curiously. At the sight of the wagon wheels, she nods thoughtfully. It's kind of like seeing a distant cousin, in a way. But the corpses are far more important right now.

Stepping over to the closest one, she lifts it up and holds it in front of her. Octavia is much stronger than she looks, so it shouldn't be any problem. She turns the body this way and that, showing not a hint of squeamishness, before her camera sends out a glowing red light that slowly passes across the varmint.

-scanning: in progress- Her analysis should provide basic information on internal structure, lingering magic energies, age, love language and favorite food.

Sudden Cave

Lia isn't overjoyed at the needless destruction of fungi. If only they had been willing to talk things over reasonably! But at least it was quick, and she could hardly let it devour an intelligent living being. If she had any notion of spirituality she'd have said a little prayer for it though.

And although she'd love to rejuvenate herself by feasting on the scraps, doing so probably wouldn't help the man's agitation. She holds up her palms, showing she's unarmed.

"I don't know what Pandyssia is, but I bear you no ill will. A carnivorous fungi was trying to devour you. If I hadn't come along you'd have never woken up." Lia smiles, rather sadly. If the man is determined that she's a danger, there's not much she can do.
horses can attack and eat me

Tags:
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Ingress]

"Oh! Okay, I get it now!" Amadel grins, almost certainly still entertaining some misconception about how Talents work but willing to let the subject sit for now.

It's nothing they can't talk about over a pint of fruit punch or something when they get to Trog's.

...Wait. She's a century old and no longer composed of thousands of tiny creatures with individually low alcohol tolerance. She can drink now if she wants to.

That's a realization.

"...Huh. Neat."

Amadel turns to her companion. "Shall we go, then?" She asks, making an exaggerated gesture toward the portal that briefly sees her hand spasming out and clipping through her arm.

[Englebrook]

Blank is considerably more apprehensive about touching the creepy racoon-things. Dead bodies don't normally bother him so very much, but these ones are supposed to be abnormally dangerous and he really only has the sheriff's word that they are, in fact, dead. He doesn't really want to learn how that madness corruption interacts with the mess of concepts that already make up his being.

...Buuut Khannie needs one, probably. So he's going to have to figure something out.

"...Do you have a towel or anything?" The knightess asks the sheriff, trying not to look at the corpses.

[Greater Sattleborough]

"Oh, you know, just something you can throw out if you ever again find yourself being chased by a city-ravaging war machine." Jubilee replies with a shrug. "Or any other circumstance where you might need to defend yourself. A basic combat spell of some sort, is what I'm saying." She continues to stare at the horologist's for a moment, before gently turning Samantha's head so she's looking at the partly dilapidated building next to it. "We'll try it on that one. No sense in ruining some valuable timepieces over this."

The witch stands up straight and takes a little breath. "You remember what I told you about how magic works. About how it's the product of bending fate and all of that. Well, one of the simplest and most effective ways of doing that, in the event you need to protect yourself, is a basic curse. At your level, it won't last very long; we're not really talking about one of those deep-rooted ancestral curses that affects generations to come, so much as the mystical extension of what happens when you stub your toe."

Jubilee raises her hand and points at the building. "In simple terms, what you're trying to do is will a calamity into being." She explains. "Push against the natural course of events and make something awful happen to whatever you're cursing. The better you get at it, the more specific you can be about it, like so."

The upper part of the wall of the building suddenly explodes, sending shards of hot plaster onto the street below, exposing the building's wooden support beam, which is currently ablaze and trailing a cloud of thick grey smoke up into the sky.

"...I've been doing this for decades." Jubilee explains. "But this will be your first time, so if you want to make anything happen, you will need to push hard. Harder than you ever realized you could." She lowers her hand and guides Samantha's to the same spot. "Don't think too hard about what, exactly, you want to have happen; you'll waste too much energy trying to do that. Just focus on the target and try, as hard as you can, to inflict something onto it."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

Rebonack wrote: Jan 18, 2024 4:07 pm [Ruined Observatory]

The thing about really stark blasts of light is that they cast very deep shadows, a fact that Khannie takes full advantage of. The darkness thickens and clots in front of her, swelling with the force of the explosion and drinking up the shadow cast by the light. When the blast-wave rolls past she lets her barrier slump back into the floor, her shadow now reaching even further and blanketing half the floor and walls with twisting tendrils of darkness.

She tries a few probing attacks, spikes of shadow seeking to impale the interstellar horror, but the shadows do absolutely nothing to it because it's absolutely nothing. Frowning, she keeps up with her volley of hurled objects.

Skye's strike does seem to pin the horror in place, but there's the obvious downside of needing to touch the thing to do so. Skye may find that getting her arm OUT of the creature after swatting it is difficult. It's interior is a zone of distorted time. The reason objects passing through it corroded as though subjected to thousands of years of weathering is because they were subjected to thousands of years of weathering. Hopefully her aura will be able to protect her from the monster's entropic touch.

After Skye leaps away the monster acts with undo cleverness and attempts the steal the memory that filling the nothing with something harms it in a bid to sabotage the forming plan.
Morty wrote: Jan 21, 2024 2:38 pm [Ruined Observatory]

Time to... what was she doing? Throwing this chunk of rubble at the ceiling? Why? Hiep could swear this had something to do with defeating this creature but it suddenly slipped her mind. Still, throwing something is preferable to not doing it, so via sheer inertia the Sidereal still throws her missile at the ceiling, hopefully bringing down some parts of it down on the thing,
[Ruined Observatory]

Skye looks down at her arm...

Huh. It's fine. This may have something to do with the fact that Celestial exalts live for thousands of years. It's gotten a little leathery in the skin, and her finger nails have grown crazy long, but aside from that her arm seems to be alright. Her arm didn't take the full brunt of the thousands of years of weathering due to the fact that Skye herself has an aura of self-reinforcing reality around her, but while she wasn't affected fully she didn't quite get out unscathed.

Still, that's not something she wants to experience again, so she backs off. Her mind is well warded, but it's bnetter at environments rather than direct attacks; sadly, the creature will extract the memory while she's attempting to figure out how to approach the problem, hanging back. Which, conveniently, gives Hiep the chance to act.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Ruined Observatory]

For Khannie's part her plan was basically just hurling a bunch of stuff at the monster. When the memory of her plan is extracted she finds herself staring blankly for a few moments, a few rocks hanging in her magic.

What was she doing agai-

AH!

MONSTER!

The upside to having a really simple plan is that even if it's disrupted one can figure out what they were doing pretty easily. Namely, throwing stuff at the monster.

Speaking of throwing!

LARGE BOULDER!

Or wall section really but close enough.

It smashes into the monster, breaking apart into a huge heap of rubble that completely fills the void.

What happens to nothing when you fill it in with a pile of rubble?

You're just left with a pile or rubble.

The interstellar horror is completely gone, as if it never existed in the first place.

What it took, though, it has taken with it.

Khannie gives her head a firm shake, as if she were trying to get water out of her ears. "I... think that was the thing that chased me away the first time," she says a bit uncertainly. Even now the memory of what they just fought is kind of hazy.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Englebrook]

"No," the sheriff replies to Blank gruffly.

Khannie, for her part, levitates one out of her saddle bags. Having a towel on hand is one of the CORE pieces of adventuring equipment. Everyone knows that.

The varmints are built... more or less like a mammal. Though rather notably they have no reproductive anatomy. That's definitely odd. The oddest aspect of them is the fact that nestled right in the middle of each of them is a clump of undifferentiated cells that appears to be meant to grow into something else, sort of like the cell mess caterpillars contain that grows into a butterfly when they melt themselves inside a cocoon.

There's some lingering abyssal magic in them; a twisted manifestation of chaos and destruction. This isn't like the magic Khannie wields. While there's an element of chaos to it certainly it's a force of potential and creation. The forces that power these things are purely ruinous. It's diffuse and dissipating, though. Probably because of how long they've been dead.

Or maybe how small they are.

Each of the creatures is only a few days old, the oldest being four days.

Their love language is 'biting' and favorite food appears to be basically anything organic. They're practically little furry locusts.

Khannie will likewise scrutinize the creatures and eventually wrinkles her nose at them. "Gross. I don't think any of these guys are gunna work; it might be because they've been dead too long but none of 'em have got a knot of magic big enough for a focus."

"If you need a live one finding 'em ain't going to be too hard," the sheriff informs our heroes. "The varmints are rolling around like tumble weeds eating everything they can get their teeth into out in the farmlands."
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

General Shrimp wrote: Jan 17, 2024 6:02 am Overly Adventurous

"I reckon we oughta stop meetin' like this, little Missy." Comes a voice from above, as bright orange wolf-like eyes peer down at Kestrel from the trees. "Yer makin' a bit of a habit gettin' in over yer head, aren'tcha?" Atreyu asks with a chuckle as he hops down beside her. The big silver-furred werewolf flexes his claws, and then reaches over to give Kestrel a little pat on the back. "Need a hand?"

Regardless of what she says, Atreyu mutters to himself (which as a wolf mostly just sounds kinda growly), causing his hands to start glowing brightly, which seems to give the shadow pause for thought. It swishes back and forth angrily, trying to slither forward again but seemingly being forced back by the bright light.

The wolf mouse lets out another snarl, awkwardly shifting its weight to one side as the arrow wounds seem to be taking effect, now looking rather vulnerable with that pesky shadow being held back by the light.

Atreyu winks at Kestrel. "Just givin' you an openin', little Missy."
Overly Adventurous

The moment that familiar voice reaches her ears Kestrel lets out a sigh of relief, though one laced with heavy surprise. "Atreyu!?" She exclaimed. Sure enough, the familiar figure of a werewolf drops to the ground besides her, who further confirms his identity by wasting no time in teasing her. "Hey, I had it covered! ... But yeah, thanks, I'd like that."

Unfortunately, they didn't have a ton of time for catch-up conversation. Though Atreyu is doing an excellent job of keeping the shadow at bay, they still have a fight to finish! Kestrel moves backwards, spending a moment to catch her breath after that blow, before steadying herself and loosing an arrow at the wolf mouse's head. Hopefully, anyways, as she's still a little shaky. "So this bark spell thingy was you then? Thanks!"
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Ruined Observatory]

"That worked pretty well." Hiep rubs her forehead tiredly. "I feel like I was trying to do that but I can't remember coming up with the idea."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

[Ruined Observatory]

Skye meanwhile is looking at her left hand with an enormous, if composed, frown. Her nails are hanging at extreme lengths, curling in somewhat gross ways due to not having been kept for (subjectively) so long.

"Ah... would anybody have a knife? It seems I need to cut my nails."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[Chaos]

TASBot clings tightly to the tree as he watches his remaining options get torn apart by Riacan's rampaging thorns. If the ground was unsafe before, it's rapidly approaching deathtrap status now, and parkour is also becoming less and less viable with each boulder and tree trunk rent into pieces by those iron tendrils. Riacan's ability to control the battlefield like this is truly impressive, and almost genuinely scary.

But, TASBot reminds himself as he notices the hillside beginning to give way and increase the stakes, he never has a reason or the time to be afraid. He can and will find a way to win this fight - and then it hits him. Riacan's metal tendrils don't seem to move much after lodging themselves in something, or at least not until they're retracted. That gives the robot a small yet very real chance to get close to Riacan once again.

TASBot's putting his plan into action almost before he's finished thinking it out, and it starts by swivelling round to the front of the tree and springing off of what remains of it to land on the outstretched bloodied tendrils. This is the hard part - his jump is calculated to avoid the wires currently shooting forth, but one or more moving particularly erratically could catch him in midair and bring the whole plan to a screeching halt. If TASBot successfully makes the jump, he'll then use the already outstretched tendrils as a thin walkway across the destroyed ground, trusting that they support his body weight, and charge Riacan at full speed to deliver a flurry of kicks and punches to his face and torso alternatingly. The red-haired warrior might be able to tell from the ferocity of the robot's attacks that he's taking the fight much more seriously now, and aiming for a K.O.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Rebonack wrote: Jan 22, 2024 3:50 pm [For Whom the Bell Gnolls][/b]

As Ginger crests the hill she'll find-

Well.

It might be a relief. Or not. Depending on how much she was dreading the idea meeting a raiding band of gnolls out for blood.

No, she doesn't discover a wild troop of gnolls burning and pillaging. But she does find a homestead in distress. A simple, homely cottage of two stories. The sort built without any sense of building code and held together with old nails and a prayer. And surrounding it? Three dozen furballs. The creatures are about the size of a large racoon, all spotted yellowish brown fur and teeth. In all honestly they look like they're almost all head and jaws, supported on four little paws. They're dashing too and fro around the house cackling, scampering, every now and again tripping and rolling. Some are fighting over an animal carcass while others are gnawing at the house with their over-sized jaws.

It's almost as if someone took the worst aspects of a gnoll and distilled it down into a nasty little ball of hunger and hate.

Up in the window, one of the farmers spots Ginger. Considering that Ginger is both clothed and armed the gal in the window is PRETTY sure she isn't related to the toothy monsters everywhere. "You! Please help! They have us surrounded and we're out of ammunition!"

Several exploded fuzzballs looks like they were on the wrong end of a shotgun and nicely explain what happened to the ammo.
[For Whom the Bell Gnolls][/b]

The gnoll that came to the rescue definitely did not look like the horrible little critters surrounding the house. There were some apparent similarities, sure, yellow-brown fur covering her body and speckled in dark spots, and a jaw full of unnerving sharp teeth. But Ginger stood over 7 feet tall, made of muscle and a fair bit of scar tissue. She was armored, and though the plates weren't polished to protection they were shiny enough that they couldn't possibly be mistakenly associated with creatures that nasty. Three holy symbols hung from her neck- those of Sarenrae, Desna, and Shelyn. And despite the intimidating figure that she nonetheless struck, her eyes weren't those of a cruel raider nor feral beast.

Ginger's heroic charge staggers briefly to a halt as she studies the odd yet disconcerting scene before her. "What the fuck am I looking at?" She wonders aloud, baffled by the alarmingly nasty yet confusingly round creatures menacing these poor farmers. And then, louder, she called out, "Stay put, I'll deal with them!"

Surveying the situation, she rapidly comes to the conclusion that there are a lot of them, and only one of her. Best to play this more defensive than her usual style. So she shrugs her shield off her back, taking it in hand, and begins her charge.

She rushes forward towards the creatures, seemingly no weapon in hand, till the last moment she draws a blade from thin air. She carves it upwards, hoping to catch a creature on it's edge, and then continues the momentum of the blow up till the sword is raised high in the air. There, it catches the sun, light glinting off the blade in an almighty dazzling flash that is far too bright to have been anything other than magic.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Englebrook

As the scan is completed, Octavia's head ripples and then turns into a featureless white orb. She kneels and gently places the body back on the ground, remaining in silence for a few moments.

When she speaks, her voice has lost its usual tone of excitement. -these creatures are very sad. they're born from demonic energy, and their only purpose is to cause destruction. i cannot imagine a more terrible existence- Her orb begins to slowly turn to red, the white light suffused with her growing anger. -it is an unnatural tragedy. we must find the source of these things and annihilate it, for their sake as much as ours-

Drawing herself up to her full height, she wheels to face the sheriff. -do you have any idea where their nest might be? an area where they come from, or where many have been seen? you will tell me now- There's a hardness to her voice that seems to imply that responding with his usual dismissive attitude might not go over well.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Near the Delve of Dripping Dread.
The first one , a tall slim guy got a mechanical eye, arm and leg.
The second one has a visor for eyes and his hands replaced.
The third one got his whole torso modified.
And the last one is a beatifull woman with replaced lefs and a doll like face.
The four people from the cybergroup arrive here. One of them, Number 3 drags a cart behind him. They have made preperations and went on to build some rather high tech drones to spy on the area bevor they get into combat. Each of them also seems to be aarmed with laserguns/laserrifels and energy weapons for meele combat, but more details when they actually draw them.

The woman picks up two orbs from the cart and slightly throws them away. They both stay in the air and fly a little higher and away from her as they start scaning the area. Their radius of interaction is low so the group needs to be in a 100 meter radius. After all they wanted to be fast not spend months on the drones.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Near the Delve of Dripping Dread

Rolling farmland is the main scenery here, though the paddocks are empty and the nearest farm is deserted- partway through a meal, it seems, and a week ago at that. The Delve itself is a broken tower marked off with red-and-white crime scene tape, or more specifically a door in the cellar of the tower.

The drones won't find anything, if they fly during the day. If it's at night, things are a little different; the door at the bottom of the tower is open, and a knight in full plate is approaching, with a sleeping figure in a nightdress draped over their shoulder.

Greater Sattleborough

"I hope I am never chased by a city-ravaging war machine ever again, honestly. That was terrifying." Samantha shudders, glad it's gone and hoping it's not hitting Little Sattleborough.

Samantha nods at the instruction, and bites her lip. The girl jumps as the building next door explodes, for reasons that are not immediately obvious. "Right, got it." Samantha stares at the building, unsure how anything she can do anything worse than already- it's on fire, and that's going to potentially spread, and how will she know it's her and not a side-effect of Jubilee's prior magic? So after a moment she nods and stares straight at a window, focusing her Calamity upon that single piece of the building and pushing.

Sudden Cave

"I know what was happening, you spawn of the Outsider! That foul corruption in the shape of a mushroom attacked, and its vile magic stopped my muscles. Then you freed me to convince me to do evil in the Outsider's vile name! Well, I am not tricked, I am wary of your lies, and you shall not fool me." The masked man doesn't turn away from Lia even as he speaks, though this does make it harder for him to find the pistol or the sword. Since most of the light remains being emitted by Lia's cap, it may be an idea to cease her bioluminescence, at least for a while.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Ruined Observatory]

"I haven't got a knife but I've got these,"
Khannie says, lighting her horn to levitate a pair of heavy steel clippers out of her bag. They look like the sort that might be used for cutting through sheet metal. Having something to cut through heavy duty objects when you're adventuring is really handy! But mostly Khannie uses them for trimming her hooves.

Proper hoof care is really important!

She floats the tool over to Skye.

"Okay, now that we aren't being bugged by... whatever that weirdo was we can try getting a good image of whatever the telescope is pointing at. That'll probably give us some clues about what this guy was up to."

The unicorn slides the completely blackened piece of paper away from the eye piece and replaces it with a new one. Ever so slowly a pattern begins to emerge as the paper darkens.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[For Whom the Bell Gnolls]

"We're definitely not going anywhere, they've almost gnawed through the front door already," the woman up on the second story calls back.

Sure enough, the front door is marred with tooth marks from the little monsters biting at it. They can smell meat inside but there is wood in the way! Terrible! But wait, what's this? New meat approaches! About half of the two dozen monsters break off from their relentless assault on the farmhouse to begin scrambling and tumbling and slathering their way toward Ginger. They way they move looks... broken. Like whatever put these things together really didn't give much thought to how effectively these creatures would be able to get around. As if the only goal was to cram as many teeth into as large of a mouth on as small of a creature as possible.

The first monster to reach Ginger gets cloven in twain with little issue. They have no armor to speak of, no supernatural toughness, just little balls of hangry. The flash of divine light causes the mob to shrink back, those closest sizzling at the holy radiance. They are ABSOLUTELY not big fans of that. And it appears to have cowed them enough for Ginger to keep up the momentum.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Englebrook]

Oh, good, Khannie has one.

The next few moments are spent with Blank trying to figure out how to scoop up one of the corpses with the help of said towel, in such a way as to avoid being bitten if it turns out one of these little creeps isn't as dead as it looks or has some kind of reflex built into touching their jaw or something. It's much harder than it looks like it should be, but if he gets the angle just right and doesn't worry so much about getting dirt on the towel, then-

Oh, wait. Khannie doesn't need it after all.

Blank disgustedly drops the carcass from his hands, letting it roll off the towel and hastily scrubbing his gauntlets against the sides of his skirt, fighting the urge to shudder. Ew ew ew.

Then Octavia finishes her analysis, and Blank finds another way to be useful.

"Actually, I think I might be able to help with that." He grins. "Check this out."

There's a light crackling sound, and where the knightess stood a moment ago, there's now a large, red-furred wolf, wearing a similar set of silver armor and sniffing around the corpses, attempting to pick up some kind of trail they might be able to follow.

[Greater Sattleborough]

...Which doesn't seem to accomplish much. Not unless those few spatters of fresh rain on the window were her doing.

Jubilee watches in silence for a moment as her apprentice works, before coming in behind her and kneeling so she can whisper into her ear.

"...You have to mean it." She says quietly. "You're thinking about it, but you aren't wishing it. And why would you? It's a piece of glass. It hasn't done anything to you." She frowns. "But we both know that isn't true of everything. Dig deep, deep down. Find someone who's hurt you; I know there's at least one." She looks up at the building. "Marinate yourself in those feelings. Draw them out, and let them remind you what it's like to really want to hurt someone." She raises Samantha's hand for her, pointing her fingers out at the window.

"Let it build. And then let it out."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

A Desert
That's a lot of needles. The stranger raises his shield but he can't block everything.
Apparently despite his unusual biology (geology?), he still bleeds red.

His counterattack comes swiftly after the spike bombardment. Not relying on magic at the moment, he darts forward to slash with his sword at the cactus' torso.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Desert]

For Yellow's part, having more distance between herself and Mister Cactiverse saves her from the worst of the needle storm. She gets prickled a bit but she's already a well scarred, clever girl and she can take it! She pulls out a chain flail and begins spinning the toothy weapon as she begins to approach.

"Arf arf!" goes the chomp.

The newcomer slashes at the cactus! It takes the blow with its arm, aiming to swat the man in the same motion.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Chaos]

Savath, still holding Sineran by the arm, turns his gaze on Asami. The teeth lining the outside of his mask seem to ripple and clack in uneven rows. "I have been chasing this girl - this skaela - for five days. Five days afoot. Without sleep. When you spend that long away from your bed, little one, tell me how your laugh sounds." His eyes narrow. "Though I am beginning to wonder if you are a child at all. No, I don't think you'll be going anywhere with us. I don't think--"

As Savath is talking, he is tearing open Sineran's bag so he can examine the contents. He dumps it out onto the stone - revealing a few threadbare personal belongings, a bite of food half-wrapped in a leaf, a stone knife... and nothing else of note.

Savath stares at this. Wide eyed. "No." He wheels on Sineran, who in spite of his tightening grip has begun to laugh, the sound thin and raspy and certainly unpleasant. "Where is it? What did you do with it?"

"Count the things the lady knows not, and only the stones could tell," Sineran sing-songs, like a mocking proverb. She opens her hands beside her head and giggles, staring defiantly into Savath's eyes. "Gone and gone and gone. Just like the Lady. And soon just like Savath--"

Several things happen at once. Savath's grip on his blade tightens audibly. The metal sings and sizzles in eerie umbral tones. Nearby, a titan bear bellows, and the cervine-folk instantly take notice, their ears or heads cocked toward the sound. Mensei cries at Savath: "No! We need her!"

Then a much larger rumbling overtakes the cry of the woodland beast as the hillside begins its steady tumble, a dozen tons and more of earth and stone falling in a widening, quickening stream of destruction. Were Riacan better prepared, he might be able to overturn TASBot's charge - but as it is he's too busy trying to retract his iron tendrils to stop the foe from closing in the process. He's only halfway finished drawing forth the ferrous extensions of his body when TASBot hits him like a jackhammer, punches and kicks hammering away at his very mortal skin and whatever steel-hard shell exists beneath. Riacan bellows with pain as his blood spatters and his skin deforms with bruises, staggering backwards, his tendrils ripping up and curling backwards to try and enclose around TASBot. He senses the blackness of unconsciousness approaching, should he take too much more--

But all might be interrupted as the growing rock-and-mudslide overbears Riacan's position. If TASBot can get out of the way in time, he might escape - otherwise he'll be plowed under with the prehistoric giant, the both of them smashed down and then dragged toward the bottom of the hill by the wave of earth. Riacan is at least partly swallowed, his status unknown--

Lidoro... turns into smoke. He glides in one direction and his body simply evaporates, the afterimage of him sketched from grey vapor and stretched in the direction of travel. He reforms with a vacuous whoosh in the boughs of a tree, well out of the path of destruction, and he looks on, preparing his next jump--

The Puppet disappears completely, sinking into the earth with an eerie sound like the long toll of a tiny silver bell. It drops through the world like a person falling through a hole hidden by a puddle--

Mensei turns and runs toward the rim of the stone lip where Asami, Sineran and Savath stand, beginning to conjure something as water is drawn from the air around her into a swirl of droplets--

Savath half turns, blade in hand, calculating--

And Sineran tries to sucker punch Savath in the gut - only to have her hand snapped down on and gripped by Savath's biting, living armor, and her scream punctuates the scene.

In seconds, everything will be buried.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

[Chaos]

Asami was aghast at Savath's response, worriedly holding a hand out towards him. "F-five days!? Oh my me..."

As the following events take place, Asami remains unphased, focusing on Savath and Sineran. She's almost stirred to action by the sudden movements, but relaxes as Sineran seems to be properly restrained. The hillslide, however, draws Asami's attention. When it gets to the point where the hillslide begins to approach her, she would fire forth a beam of heat energy, sparking as it collides with the rock. Rather than bury the area, the rocks would instead harmlessly fall as lava far enough away from those in Asami's vicinity to avoid hurting them.

"Yeesh, this is a lot," Asami complains, "H'okay, so Samaht-san doesn't even have what you're looking for? If they hid it somewhere, it may not be smart to search randomly and risk passing out. I suggest you make camp. I can even help you, if you need."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Englebrook]

The sheriff recoils slightly when Octavia suddenly gets REALLY intense. "We don't, uh-"

His expression starts hardening again just as quickly, though Khannie is quick to provide him with a cute pleading unicorn look. He eyes her for a few moments, uncertain, then sighs. He's definitely the stubborn, contrary sort of person that will be obstinate just because people are pushing but now probably isn't the time for that.

"They came from the east, first we saw them. The Pit of Unspeakable Evil is out that way," he informs our heroes.

Khannie balks at the name. "Holy heck seriously? What is it? Like a cave that leads to hell or something?"

"No? It's an old open pit mine. Smells really bad. Like brimstone," the sheriff clarifies.

Hmm...

The fur on these creatures DOES have a hint of sulfur to it.

Maybe they crawled up out of the pit?

If Blank wants to start following that rotten eggs smell it wouldn't be to hard. And it sounds like that's exactly what he's going to do, too! Sure enough, the scent trail will lead him toward the east. But it won't be too long until our heroes discover new problems.

Namely?

Varmints chasing cows! And messily devouring one of the cows they caught.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Chaos]

There is a bear in the woods.

The woods have parted, burning to cinders and melted stones.

But the bear remains.

The animal is swollen to prodigious size, easily twice as large as any bear ought to be. It's skin is wholly covered in armored plates of toothed fungus that glow a the dying hearth. With a river of molten stone between it and the cervine folk, the bear seems wholly unconcerned. It wades through the lava, its fungal armor glowing first cherry red, then fiery orange. The drizzle of winter mist touches it, hissing to steam as it strides implacably forward toward Sineran and Savath.

Another bellow.

Like a blast furnace.

Like the mouth of a volcano.

Spittle flies from its jaws, so hot that it glows with the same intensity as the molten stone it wades through.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Englebrook

Octavia does not back down an inch from the sheriff. Luckily, his reluctant explanation forestalls any further conflict, and her head turns into a magnifying glass as she considers this new information. Unspeakable Evil is pretty bad. Since a lot of evil is spoken. And brimstone is something she's familiar with, enough to be wary.

-thank you for the information. i will eliminate these beings expediently- she says, bowing to the sheriff before following Blank as he sniffs out the trail. What a useful power!

One that she doesn't fully understand, because Octavia is actually incapable of smelling things. No nose will do that to you. Regardless, the shapeshifter seems to know what he's doing, so she'll trust his expertise.

But as they approach the first living varmints they've seen, now it's Octavia's turn to know what to do. It's what she's been training for, after all. At the first sight of the horrible creatures chasing after the livestock, she stops dead, then reaches up to pluck the magnifying glass from the air, leaving her with only a faint white mist about her neck. The halo shifts in her hands, and transforms into a gleaming double edged sword. With a whoosh, holy white fire ignites along the blade. In a flash, she teleports into the middle of the varmints, sword held high.

-tormented ones, come to me for judgement and release!- she calls out, her voice carrying across the field like a sounding bell. With any luck, they'll attack her before her companions.

Sudden Cave

Lia backs away slowly, making a calming gesture with her hands. "I know not of any Outsider, and I desire nothing from you, much less to trick you into evil. You were in peril, I tried to help. I won't bother you further, only..." she hesitates, glancing at his weapons on the ground. "Please don't hurt me. My body is more fragile than yours, and there's many things I still desire to experience."

She's being completely honest, and there is a definite note of nervousness in her voice. While other versions of her could potentially survive great injury by turning into spores and then rebuilding themselves later, doing so is quite risky. And this particular Lia is one of the more vulnerable- she has to be, for her purpose.

Plunging the place into darkness could be useful- but it could also panic the man, and Lia is still hoping to talk this out. But if he does aim at her with the gun or try to charge, then her luminescence will end in a heartbeat.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Englebrook]

Blank watches Octavia with a look of sheer disbelief. If she'd been made out of anything other than consecrated metal (such as, say, flesh), teleporting into the middle of a group of furry land-piranhas would be a fatally stupid move. Either this girl has no sense of self-preservation, or she was excessively, extremely confident in her ability to shrug off a lucky bite.

Much more confident than he is.

Even though both the knightess and the wolf have some pretty thick armor, Blank doesn't like his chances. For all he knows, nibbling into the silvery plate still counts as biting him and potentially lethal corruption magic would ensue. And since it doesn't look like Khannie's got any armor, either (he can't be certain; for all he knows she's picked up a few new tricks to that effect since his last working memory), the safe bet is still to try to take these things out at a distance.

Shame he doesn't actually have any means of doing that. But fortunately, his girlfriend probably does.

"I'll try to draw a few of them away. Hopefully, you get a clear shot." Wolf-Blank growls before peeling off to one side, baying and howling as he charges forward at an angle.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Rebonack wrote: Jan 24, 2024 3:13 pm [For Whom the Bell Gnolls]

"We're definitely not going anywhere, they've almost gnawed through the front door already," the woman up on the second story calls back.

Sure enough, the front door is marred with tooth marks from the little monsters biting at it. They can smell meat inside but there is wood in the way! Terrible! But wait, what's this? New meat approaches! About half of the two dozen monsters break off from their relentless assault on the farmhouse to begin scrambling and tumbling and slathering their way toward Ginger. They way they move looks... broken. Like whatever put these things together really didn't give much thought to how effectively these creatures would be able to get around. As if the only goal was to cram as many teeth into as large of a mouth on as small of a creature as possible.

The first monster to reach Ginger gets cloven in twain with little issue. They have no armor to speak of, no supernatural toughness, just little balls of hangry. The flash of divine light causes the mob to shrink back, those closest sizzling at the holy radiance. They are ABSOLUTELY not big fans of that. And it appears to have cowed them enough for Ginger to keep up the momentum.

Fair point. Stupid thing for her to say, maybe.

Thankfully, she's drawn more than a few away from the house. Unfortunately, that means they're all trying to swarm her. Which IS the idea, to be fair, but it's not reassuring to see. The way they move is horrible. Awful, really. Whatever natural forces or deity or magic other such creator put these things together should feel very ashamed of themselves.

Ginger makes good use of the opportunity granted by her lightshow, surging forwards and continuing to cut her way through the creatures with a furious series of cuts and slashes. The gnoll moves with a brutal yet controlled strength, and though her focus was on swift offense she had her shield ready and kept a wary eye. She knew the risk of taking on opponents this numerous, and did not want to run the risk of getting overwhelmed.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Englebrook]

Octavia blinks into the middle of the ravenous hellspawn and calls forth her holy challenge!

...the monsters completely ignore her.

Well, as a target, anyway. They scurry away from the holy fire in about the way pillbugs do when you expose them to sunlight. However! They're quite happy to go swarming toward Blank and Khannie, who are in fact both made of meat. Turns out these monsters have no interest in trying to devour very loud objects that feel uncomfortable to be around. But they're DEFINITELY going to try to surround and devour Blank and Khannie. Thankfully they aren't terribly fast or nimble; a human could outpace them at a comfortable running speed, let alone a unicorn or a giant wold.

"These sortsa dopes are pretty easy to deal with," Khannie says as she reaches up with one of her forelegs and gives her cloak of flying a dramatic flap, causing it to unfurl into a giant pair of iridescently glistening raven wings. "Just don't let 'em surround you."

...they were dragonfly wings originally.

But Khannie has done some tweaking to her dad's gift. While bug wings look okay on a human they look weird on a unicorn. And you've gotta keep up appearances if you're gunna take the magical unicorn thing seriously.

She gives her wings a flap and ascends skyward! The big upside here is that it gives her a good vantage point to light up her horn and blast at the gribblies with shadow lances from on high. It ALSO means she can keep any eye out for any more trouble approaching.

Let's be real here. When it comes to life and death situations like these people often say something that's kind of dumb. Usually no one focuses on it too much.

Regardless!

Ginger will probably realize something pretty quickly.

These creatures have little in the way of coordination, stumbling over each other in an attempt to get at the paladin and bites chunks out of her. If they manage to surround her it won't be due to any sort of grand plan or forethought, it'll simply be because that's unoccupied biting space. These ravenous monsters don't appear to have the tactical sense of even regular hyenas, let alone something intelligent like a gnoll. The resemblance seems to be almost accidental.

They continue to try pressing around her, completely oblivious to any casualties they're suffering. Their only concern appears to be the tender flesh hiding Ginger's armor.

While Ginger is getting swarmed by the monsters that broke away there's another busy devouring a dead goat nearby. Quite abruptly it makes a strangled laughing sound as it begins swelling and bulging at an alarming rate.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Englebrook]

Oh, good! Khannie can get to safety just fine. At least they won't have to worry about losing her.

...And the varmints are ignoring Octavia.

Leaving Blank as the only edible thing on the ground.

...Crap.

What was previously a heroic forward charge quickly devolves into a panicked sprint as Blank attempts to outmaneuver the creatures, yelping and yiping at the realization that they're now hot on his heels with nothing to distract them.

Crapcrapcrapcrapcrap!

Okay, maybe he can still turn this around. If they're all in one big group it should be easier for Khannie and Octavia to eliminate them all. And they're going to do that naturally as long as they're chasing him. All he has to do is keep it going until they're done.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Morty »

[Ruined Observatory]

"I really hope that thing didn't have friends." Hiep rubs her temples. That encounter shook her more than most things do.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

A Desert
The crystal man blocks the counterattack with his shield and lets out another grating yell, sweeping his foot sideways across the sand.
The ground shifts beneath the cactus, pulling and dragging it towards Yellow's noisy weapon.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Englebrook

Octavia is quite surprised that that varmints are ignoring her. And a little affronted. She issued an honorable challenge! Just because of a simple lack of organics, that's no reason to be so rude. She slumps a little, her sword dimming. Acting in self defense would have made the extermination feel less distasteful, even if the end result is the same.

But the creatures are now going after Blank. Well that's not good! At least he seems pretty nimble. And defending another is an even better justification than defending one's self! Perking up, Octavia lifts her sword again. If they won't come to her, she'll bring the fight to them.

She dashes forward, flames trailing behind her in the air, before stopping and aiming the sword towards the biggest group of varmints. -Heavenly Fire Sanctifies The Wicked- she intones, her voice vibrating with power. An immense cone of pure white flame billows out from the tip of the sword, flooding across the field towards the fanged beasts. This isn't normal fire- it will have no effect on the grass, or on Blank if it should reach him. It will only burn creatures with violence and cruelty in their hearts.