Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

Post by Keeper »

G'nichi's Home

"Well if it's just books you want I-" G'nichi is cut off by Syncope's entrance.
"Oh, hello Syncope. Being fair it was absolutely attainable to me. Xeni's Name magic was...quite potent. But it really wouldn't suit me at all. Can't use a sword when you're twenty feet tall." G'nichi tries to lighten the mood a little with Syncope's...abrasive attitude. He recalls Xeni referring to Syncope's mother as a dragon maybe? It would explain things. But she's appeared as a dragonperson before so he wouldn't have assumed she disliked dragons.
"Um. Very large dragony guest, this is Syncope. Syncope, Very large dragony guest."
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

DeBunny wrote: Oct 05, 2022 5:14 pm [G'nichi's Home]

"'Behold my awful majesty, small puny creature, and how unattainably superior to you it is! But also you have things I want and you should give them to me!'
I suppose you at least come off as marginally more tolerable than my mother, but oh goodness is draconic greed unattractive."

A portion of G'nichi's house, just a small section, shimmers like metallic sand and pulls itself away from the structure in a glittering cloud. It pulls itself into a humanoid shape that begins to gradually resolve itself into the shape of Syncope over the span of several seconds, like a grainy camera image slowly being focused to the correct depth.
"I would think if you were so inclined, you wouldn't need the help of a wee little mortal to acquire yourself some books.'"

There's a small undercurrent of hostility to her otherwise sarcastic tone, an annoyance that doesn't cross over into combativeness but is rather firmly departed from friendliness.
[G'nichi's Home]

The dragons attention is briefly diverted to the owner of the new voice.

What a neat little trick.

Too bad she didn't have the most positive of attitudes.

"A friend who likes to listen." She observes as her gaze returns to G'nichi. "Hard to get privacy around those I imagine." Then it is as if Syncope ceased to exist again since the dragon isn't addressing her at all. "But this is something I offer every person with a lifestyle like yours so there's no pressure to take it. Though I would make sure you'd get a fair price of your choosing for any book that might interest me which probably are the majority that can be found tucked away somewhere on this plane." As long they aren't readily available everywhere of course.

"And you may call me Megeshi now that we're all introducing ourselves."
DeBunny
Maliciously Tyrannical Admin

Post by DeBunny »

[G'nichi Home]

That's always a cute social trick, conversational disregard.

Syncope peers off the balcony, to the general airspace past the dragon's hover zone, making a quietly murmured note about privacy being overrated.
She holds up her hands with her fingers in a square, like a film director posing a shot.

"Any spectacularly charming, entrepreneurial reptiles taking up airspace around your house should probably ground themselves, G'nichi. 'Mr. Squiggles' is pretty territorial."
It's said with the deadpan tone of someone noting rain on the horizon, but G'nichi knows what Mr. Squiggles is capable of.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

G'nichi's Home

"It's my lot." G'nichi remarks sadly at the privacy comment. He's just accepted that Syncope is simply...around.
"Oh, is Mister Squiggles airborn? Ah, well. You will want to follow that advice, Ma'am. I have been told what Mister Squiggles can do when he's upset." He's never seen it but he's been told it involved entire rooms being ripped out of his home.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

G'nichi's Home

The dragon narrows her eyes as Syncope once again draws her attention.

Reptile? She certainly hoped that was an insult or someone's education was inadequate.

"Well-" She remarks, addressing G'nichi once more. "-I've made my offer and it seems your friend have hostile intentions. So perhaps it's time for me to leave before someone makes a scene." Though just in case she was going to do a little projection in case she had to leave even earlier than intended. "-there's, ah, a number I can be reached at soon." Once she had settled things with Embralat. "If you are interested in selling why don't give it a call?"
DeBunny

Post by DeBunny »

[G'nichi's Home]

"Not sure I would say airborne, as such..."
An entirely vague correction that is not elaborated on, past a rather bizarre gesture with her fingers that is anatomically impossible for a variety of reasons. Mostly because it brings to mind the idea of a tesseract.

Syncope's gaze slides back to "Megeshi", as she lowers her hands to her sides, one extending its fingers at her hip and closing them in a "counting down from five" gesture. Five...four...
A long-suffering smile, of a customer service agent faced with a belligerent guest.
"The scene probably started around when someone decided to drop a storm on the neighborhood, but okay. I suppose missing that detail fits with the general egocentrism of someone who considers brazen hostility to be a valid precursor to a sale's pitch."
Three...two...
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

G'nichi's Home

"Uh yeah sure, just give me the number." G'nichi response, eyes flicking between the dragon and the dragon's daughter.
He cringes at Syncope's accusations. Because. Well. She's kind of entirely right. The dragon did rather make a scene by choosing to appear as a giant storm that slowly descended upon him and speaking in a VERY LOUD VOICE and then threatening him. But he can't really just say that. Clearly, Syncope can.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

G'nichi's Home

The dragon considers telling the whole story but what would that change? It just seemed like she wouldn't be able to enjoy some roleplay without some smarmy poweruser turning up and assume the worst.

In fact she wouldn't say anything. She had a way better way to communicate a number. "Thank you. Then I bid you farewell."

And in the blink of an eye the dragon seems to have turned into black dragon shaped cloud which soon starts getting swept away by the wind. But as it does it takes a particular strange shape. Forming into what must be-

Yeah, that's a phone number.

--------------------------

A presence stays behind however, curious to what the countdown was to. Probably nothing but with the nexus she couldn't take risks. She had sworn an oath to not to after all so sadly she had to fold to even the least credible of threats.
DeBunny

Post by DeBunny »

[G'nichi's Home]

"Neat trick."
It doesn't sound actually complimentary.

Syncope stares up at the sky for a moment, with a complicated expression.
"Was sort of hoping she would stick around; not often I get to needle a more self-absorbed dragon before they start breaking things."
Nothing really happens, in regards to Mr. Squiggles, but it is unclear if that is because the dragon moved or because it was actually a bluff.

"Difficult to say if she's dangerously oblivious, given the progression of this conversation, or a fan of 'shock and awe' diplomacy, like mother was."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

G'nichi's Home

"Well that happened." G'nichi grumbles, reaching inside the house to get the note pad he keeps by the phone.
"I mean you were right but do you plan on calling out everyone who offers me a job?" he asks idly as he writes down the number.
Of course both of them know he hardly needs the money between Syncope's patronage in giving him this house no-rent no-mortgage, his parents' money, and his adventuring spoils. But it seems rude to turn down an offer like that outright.
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[A Curious Canine Conundrum]
Meowmai wrote: Oct 05, 2022 9:13 am Wolves love goat meat, huh? Good to keep in mind, for giving Silver treats in the future. Krivka would likely get the feeling based on how Kestrel fussed over him that the cub was likely going to become quite spoiled. Which, speaking of, "He does!" She seems quite pleased on hearing how Silver might grow. She liked big dogs, there was more to hug! And a huge, loyal wolf companion in the future sounded cool!

As they moved to join Ruboda, Kestrel casually asked, "So, what led yah to becoming a wolf rider? Is it like, a big deal or..?" She had no idea how common or uncommon of a position this was for goblins. Was it a rare, honored and dangerous tradition? Or was it just part of daily life for many of the goblins down here?
"Maybe not a big deal, but it wasn't easy." Krivka leads Kestrel out of the wolf-pen through a tunnel. It's noticeably darker here than in the pen, the space only lit by... it seems it's some kind of glowing paste kept in containers in small niches on the tunnel walls. "I was interested in wolves at a young age. Fit and active. And I took better to going topside than most goblins. When I resolved to become a wolf rider, I had to train and practice before I could be admitted and allowed to bond with a wolf. Had to watch my weight, too. You can't be too heavy if you're a wolf-rider."
DeBunny

Post by DeBunny »

[G'nichi's Home]

Undoubtedly G'nichi's notepad appreciates all the wet outside.

Syncope seems okay enough with the rain, as she continues to stare at the sky, though it seems to be giving certain strands of her hair a faintly metallic glint.
"No, of course not. Only the dangerous ones that remind me of my mother."
Was the dragon really that dangerous? Obviously they had some degree of potency, given the weather conjuration and evidently having an entire floating island to themselves, but dangerous is an awfully particular category in Syncope's (and G'nichi's) world.
"Can't have you or that wildly powerful artifact on your wrist falling under the thumb of someone more power-hungry than me, can we?"

It's a joke. Sort of.
The degree to which Syncope may or may not be power-hungry doesn't come up much.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

G'nichi's Home

There's an awning he can stand under. Just not a large one.
"Well that's true. An absolute winner of a champion like me doesn't come every day, now?" Oh no he said that with a straight face he's adapting.
DeBunny

Post by DeBunny »

[G'nichi's Home]

"You are most certainly one of a kind."
Utter sincerity that could still lean towards a glowing compliment or damning insult.

She leans against the balcony railing, tracing one finger through the water running across it and idly inspecting the marks and smears left in the passing.
"...I suppose it's worth mentioning that I'm not always watching you."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

G'nichi's Home

"Well you could have fooled me. But that does make me feel better." G'nichi shrugs and tosses the notepad back into the house.
"And I do appreciate you standing up for me. Unless it was entirely to just yell at a dragon."
DeBunny

Post by DeBunny »

[G'nichi's Home]

Ah, there's a small, but more-genuine smile on her face at that.
"Plenty of other options in this city, if it was purely for the want to yell at a dragon."
Though they end up being ones that just start breaking things, or getting all sad at her, or that one a few miles away that □□□□□□□□.

Somewhere in here she wonders if the storm is just going to naturally disperse over the normal life cycle of such a thing, or if the dragon actually has to dispel it and is just being petty.
"I have to occasionally make an effort to show our relationship isn't entirely one-sided. It...isn't enjoyable, to work with or for someone who cares for nothing but their own interests."
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[The Demons' Lair]

Like before, Mia is led underground, beneath the streets of Inside, through forgotten sub-basements and abandoned catacombs.
Unlike last time, they head a different direction. Towards the center.

As they walk along, Sophia shows Mia a machine.
"Do you know these?" It's an old cell phone. The kind that flips open. "They're our favorite sort of machine."
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

G'nichi's Home

"Well you did let me punch you once. That did go a long way to make me feel like you care about how I feel about it all." It did feel good given what was going on.
"But yes. I wouldn't agree to some of the more outrageous things if it was just because some faceless being told me to." Not that he can ever really confirm Syncope's persona isn't a carefully crafted mask to manipulate him.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[G'nichi's Home]

Nothing, just as she had suspected. But it wasn't like she had a reason to stay around anyway considering that she had already intended to leave once he had her contact information. Other than to spite Syncope of course which she had been ever so tempted to do.

But at least now she would know in case she ever met her again. As unlikely as that might be.

As for the storm it looks like it's quickly moving away which finally makes it stop raining.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Fox Quest]

Equestrians tend to have really silly sounding names.

Or at least silly sounding compared to the sorts of names that humans often have.

They're very... descriptive. Of something? Usually something related, or at least tangential, to their talent. Which raises weird questions about destiny and fatalism. Cotton Fluff gets increasingly anxious about the silence and eventually moves over tot eh waste basket to gather up the paper airplanes that missed, her wings twitching nervously as she goes. Jade will spy a symbol on her haunches that looks like...

A cloud made of pink cotton candy?

Maybe?

Regardless, after a few minutes there's a buzzing sound from her phone and she flashes Jade a smile.

"Mister Boiler is ready for you, ma'am. If you'd like to follow me?" Downy Fluff says as she begins moving toward an elevator, looking back at Jade and making a 'this way' twitch with one of her ears.

It's an expression Jade has seen Morning Glory use before. Equestrians tend to use their ears to make gestures when they're talking in much the way humans will use their hands.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fox Quest
Jade nods appreciatively and follows into the elevator.
One short ride later, she can start this meeting.
Hopefully A: this boiler person will believe her. B: he's not responsible for the coming threat.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
DeBunny

Post by DeBunny »

[G'nichi's Home]

"Now, that probably isn't entirely true. Would you ignore a burning village, if it was a formless entity that directed you there?"
It's an extreme example, but fits her general point: G'nichi's drive to be a big musculuar hero/paladin will obligate him to do an amount of stupid requests.

And then the cloud moves along, finally.
"Fascinating. I wonder if she finally got bored or if the weather had a specific duration."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

G'nichi's Home

"Syncope, please. I said outrageous things. Not things that are literally my day job."
Of course, G'nichi's previous antics prove that the latter half of Syncope's description is slightly more important to him than the former. But he's also been shot trying to attain both so...
"You're free to ask her some time. Though I expect it would have to come with a softer approach." He doesn't expect a pleasant conversation between the two any time soon.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[G'nichi's Home]

While the dragon was sure that they would say something interesting eventually, she hadn't stayed around just to listen in.
So without a word the presence disappears.
DeBunny

Post by DeBunny »

[G'nichi's Home]

"I don't doubt that she and I will talk again. She's been on my radar for some time, now."
A lot of people are on Syncope's radar. Her radar covers most of Inside.

She stares off the balcony for a few more seconds, weighing the odds of additional snooping after the weather is gone. Unlikely.
"I was going to bring this up later, but since I'm already here...we're approaching another 'maintenance period' for one of mother dear's projects, like the god-thing beneath that village. This one is less apocalyptic, but still dangerous.
When the time comes, how quickly do you think you could convince an adventurer you know absolutely nothing about to join you for a trip? The lack of personal knowledge is important."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

G'nichi's Home

"Um. Reasonably confident? I'm not exactly brimming with social grace but if you can at least guarantee they're an adventurer that should be a good starting point. Did you have someone in mind?" he asks, curious.
How bad are we talking?"
DeBunny

Post by DeBunny »

[G'nichi's Home]

"Oh. To be more clear, you need to find them, too. If I do it, you'll be aware I think they're competent and that would be problematic."
This is the second time Syncope has presented a problem that seems to come with her not being able to be very specific.
"You're going to be sent into a place that will take pre-existing knowledge and expectation and then try to kill you with it. Doing it solo would almost certainly kill you, by design, so you need a partner to shuffle some of the...metaphysical load, so to speak. Someone you don't have any baggage with."

Syncope's face screws up a little bit, the faintest trace of frustration present.
"Mother had a crippling fear of threats outside of reality, as they were not beholden to the general rules of existence that she sought to control and dominate with. They represented impossible-to-account-for variables in a grand equation she expected to solve.
Where she could, she tried to block such things from interfering, which is the current situation. There is a rift she sealed off, and left some notes about how long she expected the containment to hold for before the corrosive nature of the unreality began to break it down. This will need to be corrected when it begins, but we still have some time. I'm going to try to use it to find more information for you.
Theoretically, if ignored, it would unravel the world like a yarn blanket being pulled apart, but it would be a slow process. More practically, for our purposes, it is simply going to create a hell zone filled with terrible monsters and flippant disregard for the laws of physics."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

G'nichi's Home

G'nichi groans, as usual for when Syncope speaks to him for more than thirty seconds.
"Yes, of course it would. What else would it do? Fine. Just let me know and I'll make sure I'm prepared. I'll just go to Trog's when the time comes. It's the simplest place that I don't know anyone affiliated there aside from Zee."
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Morty wrote: Oct 05, 2022 9:52 pm [A Curious Canine Conundrum]

"Maybe not a big deal, but it wasn't easy." Krivka leads Kestrel out of the wolf-pen through a tunnel. It's noticeably darker here than in the pen, the space only lit by... it seems it's some kind of glowing paste kept in containers in small niches on the tunnel walls. "I was interested in wolves at a young age. Fit and active. And I took better to going topside than most goblins. When I resolved to become a wolf rider, I had to train and practice before I could be admitted and allowed to bond with a wolf. Had to watch my weight, too. You can't be too heavy if you're a wolf-rider."

In the darker tunnels, Kestrel is thankful for Krivka's guidance. Her eyes, sharp as they could be, were struggling to adapt to this dark. "That, mhm, that all makes sense." Wolves weren't subterranean creatures, so being used to the above world would certainly help when working with. All that practice seemed important too. When you're as small as a goblin it was probably smart to do a lot of training before handling a predator the size of a wolf. Wolves weren't made to have people riding on them, either. "So... what's it for? Is it like a defense thing, or for hunting?"
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

"These days it's mostly scouting. Making sure everything is secure topside. It used to be a way of hunting too, but not so much nowadays." As Krivka speaks, the tunnel opens into a larger, more open space. It's a large cave, its ceiling high above them, sounds echoing off it and the walls. It's big enough to locate what looks like a small goblin village, built both under the cave and within its walls.

Houses seem to be built into the sheer rock face, seemingly half outside and half inside, but multiple buildings are also between the walls, stretching upwards. The village seems to have several tiers to it, linked by catwalks, stairs and bridges. Goblins appear to build upwards when they can.