Riverside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Re: Riverside

Post by Ironsmith »

[Into The Looking Glass]

Instantly? Just like that?

...There's nothing about that statement that doesn't seem sketchy. Skip past all the hard work of cultivating a skill and just have mastery of it immediately, with the help of some supernatural creature that's likely going to try to do something with her brain.

And yet, she volunteered.

"...Okay. So what exactly do I have to do?" Siana asks. At least she's too focused on the actual trick to be too upset that Limuria just blurted out she wanted to learn to dance.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.

Tags:
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Into The Looking Glass]

Limuria grins. "Nothing but focusing on Bishop here." She holds up her her index-finger and the mantis presses one of its scythes against it, like it was giving her a give-me-five. "Since its a form of hypnotism, see? Though like all hypnotism it will only work if you want it to work. I can't make you do anything that you don't want to do."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Into The Looking Glass]

"Hypnotism?" Siana echoes, a note of incredulity working its way into her voice. Would... would that even work? She's not confident it would. There were a lot of things that didn't affect her quite the same way they would a... "normal" person. And she's not entirely certain that's a legitimate thing anyway... sure, this being the Nexus, there's a very real chance Limuria could do what con men and tricksters in her world could only pretend to do, she could just as easily...

Nah, she's not going to be like that. She's already pulled off one legitimate feat of magic. This is going to be the real deal, no matter whether it works or not.

"...Okay." She says finally, taking a deep breath and staring at the bug. "...Just, um, don't ask me to do anything degrading, okay?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Fight or Flight]

Eliseo waves his hand dismissively at Zaro. "Whatever. Just try it and see what happens." He doesn't give the boy a second look.

"Looks like you were the one lurking in the alley, creep. How about you crawl back in the gutter that you came out of." Eliseo says, maintaining some cool. "He's not fucking worth it, Atsede. Honestly he's pathetic."
~Images by Soushiyo
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

[Fight or Flight]

Atsede's grin despite the pain she was in grew as both of her opponents seemed to begin to waver. "I'd listen to him, Zaro. Don't wanna go loose that spot now, do yah? Or me upstaging yah will be the least of your worries." For fucks sake Atsede, learn to de-escalate. Poor Eliseo is trying his hardest here and you can't help but keep throwing verbal jabs.

"So you admit it you dick, you can't fucking beat me!" The changeling didn't know if to feel insulted or smug when Jayden called her feral. Like, thanks, in some ways she was trying. In other ways? Fuck you, man. She did know that she didn't like being compared to some trashy pigeon, and her fists clenched.

Aw come on, don't give me that shit," she complained to Eliseo, cracking her knuckles. Still, so far he was at least keeping her from throwing any punches. The changeling still looked like she wanted to, though. "Maybe not, but he fuckin' deserves it!"
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Ironsmith wrote: Oct 03, 2022 11:07 pm [Into The Looking Glass]

"Hypnotism?" Siana echoes, a note of incredulity working its way into her voice. Would... would that even work? She's not confident it would. There were a lot of things that didn't affect her quite the same way they would a... "normal" person. And she's not entirely certain that's a legitimate thing anyway... sure, this being the Nexus, there's a very real chance Limuria could do what con men and tricksters in her world could only pretend to do, she could just as easily...

Nah, she's not going to be like that. She's already pulled off one legitimate feat of magic. This is going to be the real deal, no matter whether it works or not.

"...Okay." She says finally, taking a deep breath and staring at the bug. "...Just, um, don't ask me to do anything degrading, okay?"
[Into The Looking Glass]

"As I said, I'm not going to make you do anything. That's not how hypnotism works. I'm just giving you a tool and what you do with it is your business. So relax, you're not going to get mind controlled here. If you have any tensions or feel uncomfortable this might not even work. So try to ease up and focus your eyes on Bishop." Once more she gestures at the mantis whose now seemingly trying to meet Siana's gaze.

"Just imagine you're holding all your tensions in the palm of your fists and put them together, like Bishop is doing." The mantis has now moved down Limuria's arm and onto her open palm which she's holding out before Siana. It's holding out its scythes and presses together. Really making it appear as if it was praying. "Press them together as tight as you can, feel all that tension build up inside you and settle in-between your hands." Limuria instructs. "Then take a deep breath... and breath out your nose, deep breath... out your nose... whereupon you let it all go as you feel your hands relax. Your tension, your worries, for the moment they no longer matter. You're now free, Siana."

As she says these words she might find herself getting lost in the mantis eyes as she suddenly feels just as relaxed and free of tensions as Limuria describes. The audience might as well not be there and even Limuria might be momentarily forgotten as its just her and a praying mantis which cannot judge her. In this moment Siana was just as perfect as she wished to be and filled with a strange sense of fulfillment and peace. Like everything was now right with the world.

"-want you to start getting back to us." Siana can suddenly hear as she realizes that at some point she closed her eyes. How long was she out? She can't tell. But that sense of ease and comfort is still staying with her. Making her feel like she could do anything and however other people reacted they were either praising her or just plain wrong. Since she was awesome and nothing could ever change that.

"You're waking up, feeling confident in yourself and your new skill."
To the others Siana have just been standing there for a few minutes and at some point she closed her eyes and almost seemed to fall asleep standing.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Into the Looking Glass]

Ease up.

Sure.

Because it's just that easy, huh?

Nevertheless, Siana gives a little nod and tries to do as Limuria asks. Staring at the mantis is easy enough, even with its creepy little eyes staring back at her. Putting her hands together is slightly more difficult, as she has to find some way to do that while still accounting for her cane, but eventually, she decides to simply grip it with both hands (no matter how inelegant that looks). Concentrating tension... okay, she can do that. Her cane's sturdy, it'll withstand her gripping it a little tighter. Breathing... yeah, she can breathe. In through her nose, out through her mouth. Normal stuff.

hnnn,

hchchch

Normally, the glamour would mask the sound of her mouth-appendages rattling together when a strong rush of air passes through them, but at the moment Siana doesn't see the point. She doesn't have to hide anything, nobody's going to judge her if they find out what she really looks like. Nobody's going to be bothered by her skeletal hands, or the split pupils in her eyes, or the fact that each of her teeth has fallen out and been replaced with a tiny, barb-covered arm. Or about the bony, chitinous plates that cover her entire body, except for the thick sensory hairs that poke through. That she no longer has a proper nose, but a sort of fortunately-shaped cavity in the middle of her face, isn't going to disturb anyone. Why, even the little horns on the top of her head-

Siana blinks her way back to reality, the glamour slowly coming back in the process. Much more quickly, she finds herself tensing up again; lapses in consciousness tended not to work out for her. But once she sees that nobody's nursing any fresh bite wounds, she comes to a sudden realization:

She's standing.

Not in the sense that she normally would be, with the hoops of her dress supporting her weight so she can remain upright. No, she's realizing that both of her feet are on the ground; she can't feel one of them, but she knows it's there, with the weight relieved from her hips.

Minor miracle though that already is, she presses further by taking a few test steps and finds that her balance, despite the lack of feeling, is impeccable. Walking? Pfft! She finds it difficult to believe there was ever a time when she couldn't; it's just so natural now. Running, even easier, somehow. Jumping? She feels like she could leap across the stage and land on a dime... but she won't, that would be a bit much.

But she does know exactly what she does want to do.

"Limuria, would you be a dear and help me out of my skirt?" Siana grins, setting her cane aside.

It's not much of a request, really. There are at least three more layers underneath the outermost one, the one with the hoops. And apart from being a bit of color contrast, going from the burgundy top to a sudden bleached-white skirt, she's completely decent without it. But it was necessary for the freedom of movement she'd need to show off her newfound mobility properly.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Into the Looking Glass]

Well, this was sort of what she had planned so Limuria gives Siana finger guns as Bishop has returned to her shoulder. "You got it." Then she moves in to simply pull off Siana's skirt like one might pull off a cloth off a table.

Was there magic involved in that or just trickery? Who knows, but Siana is now free from her skirt.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Fight or Flight]

"Pathetic? You're one to talk, rich boy. Your mom's the only reason anyone respects you, and that whiny baby you call a girlfriend doesn't do you any favors either," Jayden sneers, ignoring Atsede for the time being. "If anyone here's not worth it, it's you two. C'mon Zaro, we have better things to waste our time on."

With that, the bulkier boy attempts to shoulder past Eliseo, making a fair effort to knock him down as he passes. Assuming neither he nor Atsede interfere, Jayden jerks his head over to Zaro and stalks down the alleyway. His partner in crime moves to follow, looking back towards the two with a wary glance before sliding his hands in his pockets and falling in step.

[Into the Looking Glass]

Back at the table, Stasia clasps her hands together with a gasp, her eyes dazzling. What a wonderful moment - a young woman granted the ability to walk unhindered, no longer bound by a restriction whose effects she resented. She looks over to her counterpart in the chair next to her. "Just magical, don't you think?"

"Um - yeah, I guess," Ana responds with a shrug, glancing back at Stasia as she stands next to her chair. She fidgets with her ring and looks at the other guests, seeming unable to sit still.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Fight or Flight]

Eliseo seems to intend to lean into the shove, but then deftly pivots and lets Jayden go buy without any of the expected resistance. "Yeah yeah yeah, walk away, dumbass." Eliseo waves him off with a casual flip of the middle finger. "Just let them go." He emphasises more quietly to Atsede.
~Images by Soushiyo
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

[Fight or Flight]

"You're the one who picked the fight in the first place, dipshit!' Atsede shouted back. "Not worth it" her ass. She looked just about ready to throw a punch at the back of Jayden's head when he finally turned away from her. Eliseo's words stopped her though, so instead she just scowled, giving the two of them the middle finger with both hands.

Once the two were around the corner and out of sight, she'd slump against the alley wall, sitting atop her board. "Ah, shit." Her face still hurt like all hell. "Man, what the hell. We shoulda fucking stomped them. Why didn't we!? You heard the shit they were saying about Ana!"
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Xar'cha Residence]

Ilpholin quirks an eyebrow here. "If you're going to hand me autonomy over this job, I'll expect no complaints about my methods." Something Marianne has already shown a proclivity for.

"I'm prepared for any of them, really. Though the exact nature of the Prisoner's Dilemma I wish to put Stacy through is hazy. It'll take some time to iron out those details. As Euphoria must go last, I might as well start with Melody. The all too fun job of trying to heckle her into standing up for herself." Pushing a demon to suffer through personal growth still bothers Ilpholin at a fundamental level. "Which means she will need to be isolated from her support. When I move in on hassling her, she can't be looking to Stacy and Euphoria for the enabling help they would presumably provide. Is there any hobby she likes to do alone or a place she likes to go by herself? Or can you convince her to go to the bar with just you or something like that?"

[Xar'cha Residence - Angelic Aftermath]

"I don't have that much control over him. What did he do to you?" Ilpholin asks Anika. She told HALlelujah to stall, but that's the extent of Ilpholin's involvement. Anika makes it sound particularly painful though.

Mister Squiggles sort of takes Anika's request to mean cake though, so he chitters and heads off to make sure a cake gets baked. Something delicious, yet spidery no doubt.

The nymph nods at Tina. "Yeah. Learning spider was one of my few saving graces growing up." It helped get her through some dark times. "It's pretty straightfoward. Anika and I went to scout and raid Tellysandra because she's an evil demon-loving bitch. We disguised our way in. Found a pixie necromancer. Tricked said pixie into summoning an angel in exchange for sexual favors. I figured we'd get a heavenly smite happy battle angel who'd be more than willing to righteously tear down Tellysandra's blasphemy. Uhh... we got you." Tina proved she could at least hold her own in combat though, so partial success.

Ilpholin tilts her head in mild thought. "If that pixie survived whatever that demonic pink mist curse Tellysandra inflicted upon it, I guess we should be wary of retribution? Ah, it probably didn't live." No repercussions there. "How do you and Anika know each other?"

[Into the Looking Glass]

Well the Anas certainly seem... happy with the results. Playful even? They've taken to it well, ending the trick on a supposed high note.

Leaving Siana to go up next as Limuria claimed she would use hypnotism to get the vampire to learn how to dance of all things. What... utter... bull. Even with mental suggestions, you can't just bypass years of training and conditioning. Maybe Limuria could get Siana to attempt to dance confidently, but well? That was ludicrous. And insulting to those who took pride in their physical efforts.

Horror Show Siana couldn't distract Ilpholin from this point, though it certainly was a classic fey misdirection on Siana's part. Yes... this all has been. Of course. Now Siana was preparing to dance. Ilpholin suspects that the vampire fey monster on stage would... legitimately dazzle them with a rousing performance. Things all made sense now.

Ana and Siana were part of Nye and Fusago's fey court and there were likely several of their kind buried away in the halls. Multiple Anas, multiple Sianas, tagging in and out under false pretenses every time they slipped off on their own. Ana, the one from earlier, not these twins, likely did kill someone in Moth park and the entire fake trial was Nye testing the waters of how forgiving Riverside would be to her subordinate. That's why Nye seemed disappointed with the results.

Siana was a trick that Ilpholin now recognizes as one similar to what the drow would do with fresh slaves from the surface. The batch of slaves would have one slipped in that had already been properly conditioned. This odd slave out would act just as confused and embittered as the fresh slaves. They would scream the loudest and fight the hardest against their new conditions. So when this inserted actor came around to accepting their fate, when they were punished and changed their mind, when they decided maybe the drow weren't all that unreasonable, the other slaves followed suit. If the most righteous of them would bend the knee, then what chance did the other slaves have but to obey as well?

Siana was the same, screaming the loudest. But more importantly, being handicapped throughout the dinner. The worst off in terms of mobility. So when Siana could suddenly dance like a ballerina, it would be all the more amazing. Obviously, just before dinner Siana swapped with a different vampire who wasn't actually handicapped in any way, just playing along. They wouldn't have to appear impaired for long either, with the dinner and the dimmer lights of the show. Siana's dancing was about to prove just how staged this all was.

That's why Ilpholin and the King in Rags were unvolunteered and the show's helpers volunteered in their place. To properly wow up the crowd, get them convinced in the impossible. To what end all of this elaborate effort had been made probably depended entirely on the General's trick. Ilpholin can't imagine the General being in Nye's pocket, so that in particular might be very much a show stopper.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Xar'cha Residence - Angelic Aftermath]

"He insulted me and acted like a real jerk." Anika remarks as she tries to think back. "...I think that was it though. Made me run around the buildings and stuff. Nothing too serious I guess." Still, a dick move!

Then Anika turns to Tina. "Yeah, what Ilpholin said. It was too bad we never ran into the warlock herself but at least we got all this cool stuff." She gestures at the loot they were carrying which reminds her of something that makes her look to Ilpholin. "Oh yeah. Weren't we in Skyside since we needed a lie detector for... some reason?"

She had completely forgotten what that reason was at this point.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Xar'cha Residence]

"You weren't going to hear any." Marianne replies smoothly, leaning back in her chair. "We're working on ends justifying the means here, I'm not going to give you any more crap about how you go about achieving those ends... unless, of course, you don't."

No pressure or anything.

"I've never seen her actually leave the group, either. That's not a normal thing for us, since we've kinda been expecting persecution from day one. Usually, we pair off, at our most granular. Mel and Euy get together and write some songs while Stacy and I work on merchandising, or Mel and Stacy enjoy some time to themselves while Euy and I..." Marianne mumbles something here, cheeks turning an uncharacteristic pink, "or Mel and I go out and shake some hands while Euy and Stacy... do something, I don't know, I'm not there for it and they don't tell me much afterward. Point is, it's rare for any of us to wander off on our own." Marianne taps a finger to her chin. "...That being said, I do recall overhearing something that might help. Melody was talking about going to visit her grave, back before our concert. She's canceled any plans to do so, but I might be able to nudge her in that direction. You should be able to meet her there." She reaches over to a nearby table and pulls up a pen and pad, quickly scrawling down an address. "It's up in Northside. She has family up there, and of course, they had her buried someplace they could visit. She's probably also going to make a point of showing up when her family isn't there, though, so you don't have to worry too much about that."

That could be awkward, explaining to grieving parents that their daughter wasn't really dead, and that Ilpholin's there to meet her so she can kill her again properly this time.

[Into The Looking Glass]

Magic is almost certainly involved; removing the skirt like that would be akin to not only pulling the cloth off a table, but doing so to reveal there was never a table there to begin with. Only Siana's been leaning on the table this entire time, which makes it difficult for it to be a mere illusion.

As soon as the skirt's off, Siana's legs come up. Not at the same time, of course; the hypnosis was defying medicine, not physics. But there's surprisingly little time between each of them being used for a showy kick that goes all the way over her head, her undergarments flaring up in the process. Even she is a little surprised about how readily she can do that; it's taking a bit for the newly-installed skill to really make its parameters known.

Ooh, ooh, did Limuria make her able to do the splits? She's always wanted to try that.

shrrrip!

...The short answer is, yes. But her dress wasn't really designed for that.

Fine. If they're just going to get in the way, those underneath layers of skirt can go, too. She's still got some comprehensive stockings that hold up to the excessive movement much better and still keep her covered. It's modest enough, if not exactly ideal.

But who the hell cares about that? She's dancing!

"Thankyouthankyouthankyou!" Siana burbles, hugging onto Limuria while still bobbing along to some unheard rhythm. It's important to be grateful when something like this comes along.

Besides, there's only so much she can do without a partner, right?

This is wrong. She just removed a layer of clothing in front of all these people and she doesn't even care. Has she completely taken leave of her senses?

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Meowmai wrote: Oct 05, 2022 5:32 am [Fight or Flight]

"You're the one who picked the fight in the first place, dipshit!' Atsede shouted back. "Not worth it" her ass. She looked just about ready to throw a punch at the back of Jayden's head when he finally turned away from her. Eliseo's words stopped her though, so instead she just scowled, giving the two of them the middle finger with both hands.

Once the two were around the corner and out of sight, she'd slump against the alley wall, sitting atop her board. "Ah, shit." Her face still hurt like all hell. "Man, what the hell. We shoulda fucking stomped them. Why didn't we!? You heard the shit they were saying about Ana!"
[Fight or Flight]

"You said it. They're the ones that wanted the fight. We're better off not giving it to them." Eliseo reasons. "Besides, if I start getting into fights my mom is going to keep me grounded for the next year at this rate."

The boy comes to stand in front of her and gives that shiner she has a look. "Damn, they got you good. You wanna swing by my place? We can get some ice for that. Maybe make up a story for your parents."
~Images by Soushiyo
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

[Fight or Flight]

"Maybe they started it, but I wanna fuckin' finish it. Next time I see him, he's fucked." The changeling growled. "I'm used to being grounded anyways."

Atsede hated to admit it, but Eliseo was right. They had got her good with that punch. "Yeah that... that'd be good. My parents might be home late today anyways." That'd save explaining why she wasn't home when she should have been. The black eye would be harder to explain away.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Fight or Flight]

Eliseo sighs. She's going to get herself into some real trouble at this rate. "Let's go then. Technically I'm not supposed to have anyone over, but it'll probably be fine." He drops his board and presumably they start moving. "So how'd you get under Jayden's skin anyway? Guy's got a mean streak, but he's got it out for you."
~Images by Soushiyo
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

[Fight or Flight]

"Yeah yeah, hopefully." "Sorry mom, my friend got punched in the face, can she stay over?" Probably wasn't the kind of thing Eliseo's parents had in mind when grounding him. Atsede got to her feet with a groan and began following. "Kicked his ass in soccer during gym today, for one thing. I may have deliberately tripped him too. And gloated about it. He had it coming, though." She had been doing this kind of thing a lot, actually. "Plus, he thinks he doesn't show it, but I know he's salty that I'm dating Skyla and he's not." She added, sounding quite smug about it.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Fight or Flight]

Eliseo chuckles and shakes his head. "Yeah I mean he's always been a bit of a jerk. Sounds like you're looking for trouble, though. You better watch yourself, because he's actually capable of getting backup. You know, like he did back there." He jerks his thumb back in the direction they came from. "Not that you can do anything if he's just jealous." He laughs.
~Images by Soushiyo
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Xar'cha Residence]

Euphoria and Marianne having wild angel on demon sex really did explain why the latter was so eager to hype up Euphoria as untouchable. Even with the logic she used to get here, emotional attachments had a way of sabotaging the best of intentions. Ilpholin doesn't bother drawing attention to it. Of course the succubus band was having sex. The only unusual part is Marianne's coyness about the matter. Perhaps practiced. Or maybe becoming an angel brought newfound shame to the act. Sleeping with a demon is only slightly less shameful than summoning one after all.

"A grave, hmm?" That demons and angels so regularly returned from the afterlife does call into question whether anyone should bother morning anyone at all. They're clearly still alive and doing things, in one world or another. Certainly a philosophical dilemma the Nexus rudely pushes onto its inhabitants. Was... Darcy having fun in Valhalla? "Well it's hardly ideal for heckling, but there's substantially less opportunity for a misguided stranger to step in. I'll make it work. You'll have to find some way to inform me of the time. I recommend picking up a burner phone." A small mechanical spider scurries up from underfoot, crawling onto the furniture, holding a small business card for Marianne. "My business number. Memorize it, then throw it away. Or burn it. Or don't do any of that. It's easy enough to look up my business number when you need it." As long as Marianne's not worried about anyone checking her search history.

[Into The Looking Glass]

Was removing the clothing some sort of metaphor? That one seems to be lost on Ilpholin. The dancing isn't even a surprise at this point, having already seen through the trick to a fundamental level.

That doesn't stop Ilpholin from pretending to be impressed. "How incredible. Very good! Truly a Lloth borne miracle," Ilpholin says as she cheers Siana on with applause.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Ironsmith wrote: Oct 04, 2022 6:54 pm [Into the Looking Glass]

Ease up.

Sure.

Because it's just that easy, huh?

Nevertheless, Siana gives a little nod and tries to do as Limuria asks. Staring at the mantis is easy enough, even with its creepy little eyes staring back at her. Putting her hands together is slightly more difficult, as she has to find some way to do that while still accounting for her cane, but eventually, she decides to simply grip it with both hands (no matter how inelegant that looks). Concentrating tension... okay, she can do that. Her cane's sturdy, it'll withstand her gripping it a little tighter. Breathing... yeah, she can breathe. In through her nose, out through her mouth. Normal stuff.

hnnn,

hchchch

Normally, the glamour would mask the sound of her mouth-appendages rattling together when a strong rush of air passes through them, but at the moment Siana doesn't see the point. She doesn't have to hide anything, nobody's going to judge her if they find out what she really looks like. Nobody's going to be bothered by her skeletal hands, or the split pupils in her eyes, or the fact that each of her teeth has fallen out and been replaced with a tiny, barb-covered arm. Or about the bony, chitinous plates that cover her entire body, except for the thick sensory hairs that poke through. That she no longer has a proper nose, but a sort of fortunately-shaped cavity in the middle of her face, isn't going to disturb anyone. Why, even the little horns on the top of her head-

Siana blinks her way back to reality, the glamour slowly coming back in the process. Much more quickly, she finds herself tensing up again; lapses in consciousness tended not to work out for her. But once she sees that nobody's nursing any fresh bite wounds, she comes to a sudden realization:

She's standing.

Not in the sense that she normally would be, with the hoops of her dress supporting her weight so she can remain upright. No, she's realizing that both of her feet are on the ground; she can't feel one of them, but she knows it's there, with the weight relieved from her hips.

Minor miracle though that already is, she presses further by taking a few test steps and finds that her balance, despite the lack of feeling, is impeccable. Walking? Pfft! She finds it difficult to believe there was ever a time when she couldn't; it's just so natural now. Running, even easier, somehow. Jumping? She feels like she could leap across the stage and land on a dime... but she won't, that would be a bit much.

But she does know exactly what she does want to do.

"Limuria, would you be a dear and help me out of my skirt?" Siana grins, setting her cane aside.

It's not much of a request, really. There are at least three more layers underneath the outermost one, the one with the hoops. And apart from being a bit of color contrast, going from the burgundy top to a sudden bleached-white skirt, she's completely decent without it. But it was necessary for the freedom of movement she'd need to show off her newfound mobility properly.
Arkhosia wrote: Oct 03, 2022 1:39 pm

"I see. That would very much explain the rather poor performance," Blanche remarks with a rather neutral expression. "And it certainly wouldn't help that our own operative likely interfered with yours in the chaos of everything going on."

Reinholdt wrote: Oct 07, 2022 8:49 am
[Into The Looking Glass]

Was removing the clothing some sort of metaphor? That one seems to be lost on Ilpholin. The dancing isn't even a surprise at this point, having already seen through the trick to a fundamental level.

That doesn't stop Ilpholin from pretending to be impressed. "How incredible. Very good! Truly a Lloth borne miracle," Ilpholin says as she cheers Siana on with applause.
[Into the Looking Glass]

Siana will feel that her hand is suddenly taken by Limuria and then the magician offers her other hand with a smile. Judging by her pose and Siana's experience with more formal forms of dancing she's offering her one.
If she accepts Limuria will pull her into a quick-paced dance routine which Siana will have a remarkably easy time following despite not knowing the steps. As the dramatically dips Siana towards the floor she can lean in long enough to whisper. "The hypnosis is going to wear off so let's take a bow now."

And once she pulls Siana up she's going to turn them both towards the audience and bow before them, hoping Siana takes the cue.

Nye stands up and applauds and the white pawns join her while the black pawns simply look on.

[MERC Office]

"Okay, but who is she and what's her name? Since, uh, she did something to the terrorist that we just turned in to the police." Anika points her thumb at the door. "And I've been meaning to figure out what that was. Cause' it turned her eyes all black and stuff. Like how the demons that attacked the city corrupt people." A beat. "Erm, I'm not saying she's one of them but uh, people could mistake her for that."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Xar'cha Residence]

Marianne frowns. She didn't think Ilpholin would have much of a compulsion to avoid heckling someone while standing over the grave of a loved one (or their own, but that's a bit rare), but then, she might be worried about making it look natural. She's not going to delve too deep into this woman's thought process; that seems like a good way to temporarily lose her sanity. "...All right, then." She says finally, gingerly plucking the business card from the spider's grasp and looking it over. "I'll text you as soon as the opportunity comes up. I might not be able to get away enough for a call. Keep an ear open."

And with that, Marianne vanishes from the room. Sort of. If Ilpholin still has her True Seeing on she might see that Marianne's just turned invisible and is walking out of the room like a normal person, however less-than-theatric that might be.

Three weeks later, Ilpholin will get the promised follow-up.
M hs lft thr houe
B aat grsvr in 20 mns
[Into The Looking Glass]

A formal dance might not be exactly what first came to mind, but the comparatively more familiar bit of culture does ease her mind somewhat and Siana is quick to accept. At least it feels familiar. That might be the hypnosis at work again. It might help her if she imagines she's learning this dance the way a normal girl her age would; maybe one of her parents is teaching her, in preparation for her first appearance as an of-age bachelorette. Or maybe she's already there and she's dancing with Arne, who went through the same thing. if she closes her eyes and lets herself get lost in the movements, she can almost hear the music and the low murmur of conversation around her. She even buries her head in Arne's Limuria's chest as they dance, letting herself be held for a moment and-
Limuria wrote:"The hypnosis is going to wear off so let's take a bow now."
...Oh.

Of course it wasn't going to last.

Siana gives a little nod of understanding and breaks from the dance on cue, going into a bow with Limuria to conclude this part of the act.

But... maybe she hesitated just a moment too long, because at the steepest point of the bow, she suddenly falls over on her side, her left leg once again twisted horribly out of shape. She falls to the stage with a little thud.

Somehow, she manages to retrieve her cane and crawl back to her seat without crying. Maybe somebody helped her. She looks a little too dead-eyed to really be taking in what's happening around her.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Into The Looking Glass]

Stasia watches the dance with dazzling eyes, absolutely delighted for her new friend being able to have such a wonderful moment onstage - until the strigoi collapses with a sudden shift, and she gasps. How tragic! Is she okay?

"Oh gosh!" Ana jumps out of her chair and rushes forward without a second thought, running to Siana's side and retrieving her cane. She'll help usher the young woman away as Stasia catches up, and while her nervous counterpart dotes over the strigoi and helps her to her seat, she whirls back towards Nye and Limuria. "Hey- you managed to pull something weird off with me! Can't you like, do her the same courtesy?"
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[MERC Office]

"Her name is Jaahlyn Hesperos. She's one of our license holders." Now that he thinks about it, they really should have asked Jaahlyn more details about just what she did to that terrorist. Not that he's going to admit it it here... "She's a fey. I don't know what alteration she subjected the terrorist to, precisely. But it has nothing to do with the demonic corruption, if that's your concern." He glances over at Blanche. "Yes, that particular misunderstanding did rather make the situation worse."
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Into The Looking Glass]

The General watches the dance intently. She couldn't move like that, despite having full use of her human legs. And Siana really shouldn't be able to move like that. Unless she was affecting the injury the whole time? And taking off those clothes to dance more freely? The persona the the vampire projects would be scandalized by all this.

She joins Nye in standing to applaud and cheer the dancers-

Just in time for Siana to fall.

Skye sits and watches her come back with a completely sympathetic expression. But she doesn't say anything. What words could help here?

Limuria is really not doing these tricks properly, is she? If she thought ahead, she would be worried about what is going to happen to the third volunteer.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Angelic Aftermath

"That's me alright, hon. Smite happy battle-angel," Fettina says, and she flexes the very lean cuts on her arms that you could generously refer to as 'biceps'. "Well. I'm super glad I could help you two get out of there okay. Anika is my friend, actually," Fettina says, looking up at the elf. "How did we meet, anyway? Shit, big girl, it's been a while."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Jaahlyn's Phone]

<NymphoMania> Hey, Jaahlyn! I need to talk with you about something. Can you meet me down by Wild Mike's in an hour or so? We can discuss things over lunch.

Sure, it's a short message, but Marianne's not really sure how to approach the subject otherwise. What she has to ask of the satyr is already pretty awkward, even more so for the leverage she planned on using. She wasn't sure whether she'd be an easier or harder sell than Ilpholin. Or if she'd agree to help at all; she's not a hundred percent sure these service tokens are binding, or that they'd cover what she had in mind. And unlike Ilpholin, if this meeting goes wrong, she's certain Jaahlyn wouldn't have any issues with taking the news to her bandmates and stillbirthing the whole plan.

The angel sighs and shakes her head. No, she can't worry about that just now. Jaahlyn's her friend, and Marianne's trying to help. This is all going to turn out just fine.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Gullara wrote: Oct 07, 2022 3:36 am [Fight or Flight]

Eliseo chuckles and shakes his head. "Yeah I mean he's always been a bit of a jerk. Sounds like you're looking for trouble, though. You better watch yourself, because he's actually capable of getting backup. You know, like he did back there." He jerks his thumb back in the direction they came from. "Not that you can do anything if he's just jealous." He laughs.
[Fight or Flight]

"Me!? Look for trouble? Naaaahhhh," she grinned back. Or tried too. It twisted into a grimace partway through. Ouch, fuck. She really should give her face a bit of a rest and some ice. "I'll be ready for it next time, though," she continued, sounding oddly (or foolishly) confident giving how she had just gotten her shit wrecked. "You might need to watch yah back yahself. From how much he mentioned Strawberry, sounds like he's jealous of your success with girls too. Not that you gotta worry, you can sic the whole team on him."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Shadowcaller wrote: Oct 02, 2022 12:48 pm House of Duste, Unknown Time

As it turned out there were several suspected mass-murders in Riverside according to Ambrosia's contacts in the city. But the fact the law enforcement on each side didn't have a easy time working with one another meant that as long as you moved in-between them it was difficult to gather information of their whereabouts. The fact that a city could even function like this was mesmerizing to her. Sure, it could be explained by stubbornness and ignorance like most things in the world, unlike say how Inside or the nexus economy functioned, but that didn't make any less frustrating.

Most murders that fit with the profile she was looking for had happened in this area though which meant that the wizard-

And this is when Ambrosia's train of thoughts are interrupted when an elf covered in gore and blood runs out onto the streets and almost right into her. She freezes, her hand instinctively going to her blade as she waits for Ash to make a move.
Spectre wrote: Oct 03, 2022 7:50 pm House of Duste: 4:45 AM

This part of the city is isolated and overgrown with thorny vegetation—an ideal place for those who do not wish to be found. Hidden between a copse of stunted pines looms a decaying old manor. It has walls of plastered stone that display many scars where the plaster has fallen away from age and neglect. Tattered drapes cover every window, including a large, arched opening above the manor's double entrance doors, through which dim light pours.

Far above, a slouching roof hangs heavy over furrowed gables, laboring under heavy rainfall. Below, moss-covered walls sag and bulge under the weight of the vegetation climbing their sides. Burgundy tapestries hang from the outer walls, each of which depicts a stylized "D." The doors are open, but...

...as the elf and the dragon lay eyes upon the manor, the doors creak shut.
The elf gasps when they nearly hit Ambrosia, and disappear- though the blood covering their clothing remains. They don't remain invisible long, quickly fading back into view where they stood before. "Please, call the police or something. Some madman calling himself a Son of the Stitched One, he got himself high and forgot to lock me in, or else I'd be as dead as the rest. Oh, gods of flesh and wood, I... I nearly got murdered." That finally seems to sink in, and Ashcallyn starts to sob and slumps back against the wall.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Ironsmith wrote: Oct 07, 2022 10:39 pm [Jaahlyn's Phone]

<NymphoMania> Hey, Jaahlyn! I need to talk with you about something. Can you meet me down by Wild Mike's in an hour or so? We can discuss things over lunch.

Sure, it's a short message, but Marianne's not really sure how to approach the subject otherwise. What she has to ask of the satyr is already pretty awkward, even more so for the leverage she planned on using. She wasn't sure whether she'd be an easier or harder sell than Ilpholin. Or if she'd agree to help at all; she's not a hundred percent sure these service tokens are binding, or that they'd cover what she had in mind. And unlike Ilpholin, if this meeting goes wrong, she's certain Jaahlyn wouldn't have any issues with taking the news to her bandmates and stillbirthing the whole plan.

The angel sighs and shakes her head. No, she can't worry about that just now. Jaahlyn's her friend, and Marianne's trying to help. This is all going to turn out just fine.
Recaiden wrote: Oct 07, 2022 8:50 pm [Into The Looking Glass]

The General watches the dance intently. She couldn't move like that, despite having full use of her human legs. And Siana really shouldn't be able to move like that. Unless she was affecting the injury the whole time? And taking off those clothes to dance more freely? The persona the the vampire projects would be scandalized by all this.

She joins Nye in standing to applaud and cheer the dancers-

Just in time for Siana to fall.

Skye sits and watches her come back with a completely sympathetic expression. But she doesn't say anything. What words could help here?

Limuria is really not doing these tricks properly, is she? If she thought ahead, she would be worried about what is going to happen to the third volunteer.
Earl of Purple wrote: Oct 08, 2022 12:52 pm

The elf gasps when they nearly hit Ambrosia, and disappear- though the blood covering their clothing remains. They don't remain invisible long, quickly fading back into view where they stood before. "Please, call the police or something. Some madman calling himself a Son of the Stitched One, he got himself high and forgot to lock me in, or else I'd be as dead as the rest. Oh, gods of flesh and wood, I... I nearly got murdered." That finally seems to sink in, and Ashcallyn starts to sob and slumps back against the wall.
[Into The Looking Glass]

((I'll be posting for this later.))

[Jaahlyn's Phone]

<Hesperos> 'Something'? Alright. I'll be there.

Jaahlyn seems to be the kind of person that even adds the proper punctuation to a casual text chat message.

Which might explain why it almost took her a minute to write that out.

Nevertheless, Jaahlyn will probably be waiting for Marianne at the club. She's quite punctual. Old habit.

House of Duste: 4:45 AM

That... was quite a story. Though judging by the elves bloody clothes and her reaction she couldn't deny it.

But it was also quite a coincidence. Here she had been looking for a serial killer and who would she run into but the victim of one? A still living victim no less.

"I... don't have a phone on me." Ambrosia admits. "But you should be safe soon. Don't worry." She gazes up at the manor and then looks around for any nearby dangers. If nothing is immediately obvious she crouches down before the elf. "Are you from around here? Since I think it might be best to get to Eastside. The police around here aren't too friendly so you'd have a much better chance there." She advice's, hoping that perhaps she might be able to get out here herself once she had a chance to recover.