Home

Personal homes and private lots.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Re: Home

Post by Ironsmith »

[Sick in the Head (and Everywhere Else)]

Aikobaz waves her hand dismissively. "Feh. Nobody needs a thousand servants for breakfast. You get diminishing returns after a half-dozen and they actively trip each other up once you hit twenty or so. What's she expect, an audience?" She shrugs. "I'd be surprised to learn I had a thousand servants at all, let alone that they were involved with breakfast. Especially with our turnover rates."

Once that digression has been made, Aikobaz waves it away, deciding it's neither here nor there. "Point is, your mum kind of romanticized a life she never had, didn't she?"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Outside DFI]
Morty wrote: Oct 30, 2022 11:34 pm "Thank you for your offer." Askeladd bows.
"I have learned a lot by coming here. If you wish to know something of me or hear one of my stories, I'd be glad to provide."
The priest just gives him a nod this time.
So Askeladd is staying away from his old friends and places. Moving on perhaps, or hiding, who else could say, really? Are his fellows likely to come looking for him over these disagreements, or is he just a story to them by now, just an idea? He is polite in any case.

"I would be happy to hear a story of yours. Something from far away from here."
Accepting the traveler's help would be proscribed, but a story shouldn't do any harm.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Green With Envy

"Yeah, I know. But... so do I. It's just the life I romanticise and never lived is different. It's why I'm here, to listen to Nan talk about her youth, the battles my older uncles experienced and fought in, the nomadic camps on the steppes in the Whispering Sea. And I know it was hard; I know Nan's parents had three children that didn't make it to adulthood, I know Aigothurz the First was a brutal man who did stuff like drown a guy with the blood of his sons. Aigothurz the Second, who's next door? His grandfather watched. He can't remember it, he was about five, but that's still something Granddad thought his eldest should watch at five years old." Aigothurz the Second, who is watching a film next door, being Mrs. Bloodplunder's oldest great-grandchild. There were, also, no children between named Aigothurz, as orcs believe it bad luck to name a child after someone alive at the time. "Nan's the only one who talks of those days with real nostalgia, and even then I'm not sure if it's the lifestyle or Granddad she's missing. For all it was an arranged marriage, she really did love him." As the story Mrs. Bloodplunder told of her wedding day would demonstrate.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Still Green]

"...She never told me it was arranged." Aikobaz mutters, tugging the sheet up to her chin. "And from the way she talks about her wedding night, which is to say, far too often and in far too much detail, I never would have guessed. Then again, knowing her, I suppose it's a reasonable bet she was the one who arranged it."

Aikobaz, admittedly, does not know much about arranged marriages, but from what she hears one of the two parties involved (at a minimum) is usually miserable from it. Which is how people like her come to exist.

"...I can't imagine it's the lifestyle she misses. Sure, there is a sort of all-pervasive euphoria when you're untouchable and everybody in the room knows it. I get that and I miss it sorely, myself. But she wasn't untouchable. And neither was Aigothurz, clearly. Or the rest of the clan." She curls up under the blankets and frowns. "...And there's no way she didn't know that."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

It's Not Easy Being Pale Yellow

"The two families wanted an alliance, sealed with marriage. But both could have declined it, for any reason. If Aigothurz the First wasn't interested in humans, Nana would have married his cousin, and if the cousin wasn't Nana's taste, then the cousin would have married Nana's sister. Or brother, if the cousin wasn't happy with that." And if neither chief could make an agreement, then they'd have adopted one of their followers into the family who was willing to join the other group, at least part-time. "The nomads of the Whispering Sea was under threat at the time; a coracle somewhere foresaw destruction and war being born from the grasses, so the cities and kingdoms neighbouring it started to send armies in to exterminate them or drive them off." And ironically forcing them to unite to survive, creating the seeds of the alliance that spread the destruction and war to the surrounding region and then further afield. "Nana was never really untouchable. Ask about her scars some day. They're not visible most of the time, but she's got them." She was a war-queen who led from the front; scars were pretty inevitable.

Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

► Bellamy House
[Bellamy House]

Harley opens her mouth to almost ask a related question, but then luckily Reinholdt saves the day by asking a more personable version of the same type of question.

Harley figures being told Kitsuki is technically fey is mostly for her benefit. After all, she's the odd one out who's the only one here who doesn't already know that. However, like Kitsuki, she's also not quite sure how, exactly, that's relevant. "And if Rein counts, then Manja probably counts at least half as much, too." And maybe a bunch of the children here, too, towards this 'fey limit', she thinks. But...this last time, apparently, it was just those three adults there (could be argued as a 'high concentration' maybe?), plus ghosts or spirit energy or whatever. Possibly something esoteric, since only three times so far likely means 'spirit energy' is something very specific.
Which, by most definitions Harley's magical girl powers could be easily called 'spirit energy'. Although Harley sees absolutely zero reasons why she would need to use them here, she makes a mental note to especially not use them near here, just in case.

Manja, hearing her mother say her name, turns and looks, and then says something irrelevant but also cute.

Harley bites her lip, thinking. In order to get a better picture of what would trigger 'Otherbriane', she asks Obriane, "So, as an example, what would you say is missing right now in the situation we're in, that's would cause it to happen?" Bunch of fey concentrated in the same room, check. High energy of some type....the Nexus could easily cause to randomly happen. But this question is just about trying to understand with an example how easily it could happen again in the future.

► Foxes Snacking
[Foxes Snacking]

Sirena's watch doesn't check power levels to check if she's over 9000 or anything fancy like that. Instead, it's basically just a fancy futuristic facial recognition software that compares things to historical databases...where 'historical' is, of course, defined from a time-traveler's point of view, plus readings from random other sensors it's got, and compares it to likelihood of interfering with her plans, danger of stopping Sirena, and so on.

She pops up her jacket's collar, while pretending that will somehow make her less noticeable.

She waits until Ana and Annie move away from the door, then Sirena starts moving towards that same door - crossing the street to get there.

And she starts pressing things in air, as if she has an invisible keyboard that she's typing something out with one hand.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[If Hope Starts Feeling Blue, Does She Turn Into Aikobaz?]

"I've seen them." Aikobaz grimaces, squeezing her eyes shut. "Don't ask." She follows up immediately, anticipating that Hope would want to know when that happened and how, and not at all willing to recount the incident. It's bad enough when Nana talks about such things. "Suffice to say I'm not going to forget to knock again any time soon."

Yeesh.

"...In the, um... interest of not ending the night on that image." AIkobaz begins again, shuffling in her bed. "...I don't think I've ever really asked this. You've told me about how your mum didn't want you to get too involved with this side of your heritage. But... what exactly do you want? Long-term, I mean."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

No, She'd Need More Yellow

Hope isn't actually surprised at the admission, and doesn't query how Aikobaz spotted the scars. Or even think to, really.

"...Now that's a question. I don't really know. I've been to college to study literature, history and politics, because I wanted to be a writer, but... I dropped out. I don't want to be a greengrocer. I might go with Aigothurz when he's ready to fulfil his destiny, if he'll have me and I don't embarrass myself with the axe Nana gave me. I'm not like my cousins, who had far more weapons training than I've got." The Lochaber axe she's got is a pretty fearsome weapon, used well, though Hope isn't yet quite that good at it. She spars and practices when she can, with anyone who is up for it, but her training version doesn't have the same balance.

Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Hope Simpson Identity Confirmed]

Aikobaz, of course, would not be among those candidates. She's been taking fencing at school, but she never brings her practice weapons home and it's a completely different fighting style from the Bloodplunders' axes anyway.

"...You, um... already know what his destiny is, then?" Aikobaz asks, hugging her knees. "...Must be nice."

The empress goes silent for a moment.

"...Why'd you drop out? Do you just not want to be a writer anymore, or...?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

Gullara wrote: Nov 04, 2022 4:01 am [Spookysitting]

Jaazha yelps and grabs hold of Orlane, and Eshe grabs Orlane's hand to drag the both of them along with Leis back to the kitchen. Rosabel runs into the kitchen soon after, with Maha in her arms. The younger girl has her face buried in her older sister's shoulder.

"Um no, nothing like that." Rosabel answers. "Mommy wouldn't let anything like that happen."

"Was it a ghost at the door?" Orlane asks.
Shadowcaller wrote: Nov 10, 2022 11:35 pm [Spookysitting]

Leis and the girls can hear a door slamming shut with such incredible force that Leis might be concerned it just came off its hinges.
It sounded like it came from so-called 'maids room'.
[Spookysitting]

"I don't know, maybe? I feel like it's probably a ghost," Leis responds, looking back towards the door and thinking. The kid was awfully red, but they didn't look like a demon or anything, and those usually didn't -

"Eep!" Leis jumps at the sudden SLAM reverberating through the house. "O-okay, you kids stay here, I'm going to find out what's going on." With that she runs off towards the source of the noise, pausing to snag a handful of containers from a spice rack on the way out. Surely at least a couple of them will come in handy?
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Spookysitting]

A series of yelps emanate from the children and Maha whines. The group huddles closer together. "But what if it comes here?" Jaazha mutters to her sisters.

Orlane breaks off from the group and goes to the door Leis just exited and looks down the hall. She considers the door at the end of the hall that leads to their moms' room. "I bet there's some protection stuff in mom's room." The girl muses.

"What?" Jaazha's protest is immediately apparently. "We can't go in their stuff."

"But what if the ghost does something bad? We gotta be ready." Orlane argues.

[Foxes Snacking]

Annie huffs. "But I wanna hold the money before you spend it." She complains. "Can I pay at the till then?"
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Foxes Snacking]

"Yeah, you can hold the money," Anastasia assures with a chuckle, turning to elbow open the door to the corner store and stumbling slightly with a grunt. This bab is heavy! She crouches down, lowering Annie to the floor. "Um, like, off you go!"
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Foxes Snacking]

Annie turns to Ana and holds out her hand expectantly. "Gimme." She demands. Once the cash is her hands she grins broadly and turns. She mraches her way toward the freezer. "Choco taco, choco taco!" She goes up on her tiptoes and leans against the freezer. She's scrutinizes the interior. "Ugh, I can't see it."
~Images by Soushiyo
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Possibly More Like Wendell

"Yep. It's a lot of stress for him, actually. He's going to rebuild Grandad's empire, apparently. His father made a prophecy about it when he was born, and he's the first son of the first son of the first son of Aigothurz the First, and has a spirit of war bound into his hatchet." Which probably explains why he's going to PREP alongside deposed empresses, princesses of hell, dragon angels and Natharia.

"Ah, well. My cousin Yamarz was going to the same college, studying botany, colour theory and agriculture. We bumped into each other- wasn't that hard, y'know? Not that many part-orcs around, and I knew the surname Bloodplunder. Anyway, we met and caught up, and he invited me over and I learnt a bit more about my orcish heritage, and met Nan for the first time since I was five, and then Mum found out. She pulled a hissy fit, and threatened my education if I didn't drop them. I called her bluff, it weren't a bluff, and I had to drop out as I couldn't afford it without Mum's contribution. Still worth it, though. I'm not being a greengrocer." Yamarz has the slightly surprising job of florist, as a result of his studies. He enjoys the work, and the symbolism, and the florist's owners like having someone large and strong to carry sacks of fertiliser and large ceramic pots about.

Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Foxes Snacking]

"Be nice," Ana lightly chides even as she hands over the money with a chuckle, choosing to mostly overlook the rudeness and focus instead on the cuteness of it all. The girl's dismay does cause her to tilt her head as she follows her over, and she leans over to inspect the contents herself. After a moment, she frowns. "Um, yeah, I don't see it either actually." A beat. "Is there, um, something else you want?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Foxes Snacking]

"Noooo, I want a choco taco." Annie complains. She opens the lid of the freezer and leans her head inside to really thoroughly check. She pushes a few things around before leaning back again. "I'm gonna go ask." She decides and turns to march toward the till. "Where are the choco tacos?" She asks.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Foxes Snacking]

Anastasia does her best to contribute to the search too, looking around the corners Annie might miss and moving aside a couple things the smaller girl can't reach. She lets her sister go ask with a nod and an "okay," but keeps an eye on her just in case.

The cashier looks up from her phone as Annie marches over to the till, a blue-skinned young woman with a shock of white hair and a narrow face with a Y-shaped indentation across the bridge of where the nose of a human would be. Looking down at the young child in surprise, the alien shakes her head. "No, did you not hear? Those were discontinued a few months ago." A beat. "...Sorry."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Gullara wrote: Nov 10, 2022 3:50 am [Palace of Tina]

Kirk settles next to her, simply sitting, however. He breathes out a sigh. "I can't say I understand." He admits simply. He looks down at her searchingly, as if he can gain understanding by vision alone.
[Palace of Tina]

"You don't have... regrets? About people you've left behind?" Fettina turns her head and searches his eyes. She feels like she can talk to him seriously about something that might be sensitive, even to the normally detached drow. She feels she's earned that. "You never think about what could have been?"
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Freedom Requires Green]

Aikobaz nods slowly, reaching up around her neck and undoing the necklace she's wearing. "...You know, this was a gift from Grand Inquisitor Yannick, back home. He intended it to be an engagement present. The gold is infused with the blood of a village that no longer exists, and the diamond... well, as you can probably tell from that lustrous shade of red, it's quite rare and probably lightly cursed. Not that it's ever bothered me before." She sets the necklace, bob-first, into Hope's hand and smiles. "I've decided I no longer want it. Sell it and finish school, when you get the chance. You shouldn't have your future depend so much on such a fickle sponsor." She lays back in the bed and tugs the blanket up to her chin. "If your mum asks, you have my permission to tell her I'm an orc or something. And then I want to see a picture of the look on her face. Deal?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Foxes Snacking]

"What?!" Annie's voice pitches up. A dangerous sign. "What do you mean discontinued? They're the best ice cream treat. Why would they do that?" Annie whirls around to her sister. "Ana! She says there's not gonna be any more choco tacos!" Her voice cracks with distress, her eyes welling up.
~Images by Soushiyo
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Palace of Tina]

Kirkm purses his lips and his expression hardens. "I'd ruin myself if I did that. Too much time and too many people. I have to keep my priorities straight."
~Images by Soushiyo
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Colour of Charity

"I... thank you, but... are you sure? I mean, if you go back, won't Grand Inquisitor Yannick be pissed that you gave it away, if it's an engagement present?" Hope reaches out, but doesn't take it yet. She's not worried about the curse, as it happens; it seems like Aikobaz hasn't noticed any unusual effect, so if there is anything it's probably something liveable. Or else it's something targeted to hit anyone who isn't Aikobaz, but Hope doesn't think of that. "She won't believe you're an orc. You're the wrong colour for the orcs of the Whispering Sea, and not bulky enough- no offence- for most of the green orcs about." Of course the bodybuilder in the family of strongmen thinks not being bulky with muscle is something that might offend if pointed out.

Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Make Love, Not WAAAAAAGH!]

"Three things." Aikobaz enumerates on her fingers. "First, I already turned him down. The man's five times my age, it was gross of him to even ask. Second, there's no 'if' about me going back home; I'm going to manage it, sooner or later. It's only a question of when. And third..." She smirks and sticks out her jaw in an attempt to give herself a passable underbite. "I might not be 'da biggest, but i speak 'da language fluently. Should be enough ta give yer mom pause, at least. If she won't buy full orc, say Iz af or someth'n. Kind uv hard for 'er ta prove wrong, anyway." She giggles and shakes her head. "Sorry. Couldn't resist."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Gullara wrote: Nov 17, 2022 2:33 am [Foxes Snacking]

"What?!" Annie's voice pitches up. A dangerous sign. "What do you mean discontinued? They're the best ice cream treat. Why would they do that?" Annie whirls around to her sister. "Ana! She says there's not gonna be any more choco tacos!" Her voice cracks with distress, her eyes welling up.
[Foxes Snacking]

Anastasia's eyes widen. Oh dear. She's already moving over towards Annie by the time she whirls around. "Whoa, hey - um, it's okay, I'm sure we can still get you something else," she attempts to assure, kneeling down in front of her distraught sister.

The cashier, meanwhile, watches the two and swallows. Well, this is awkward.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Make Love AND War

"Yeah, that is quite creepy." Presumably he's not an elf or something, where being five times one's age is still young in their terms. She smiles at the impression, too. "I can see that working amazingly, actually. Thank you." Hope takes the chain and puts it in her pocket, where hopefully nothing happens.

Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Bloodplunder Family Motto]

And at that moment, a truly insidious curse will take place. The next time Hope goes to retrieve the necklace, in punishment for her greed, it will gather up the malicious energies of hundreds of slaughtered innocents to... pinch her finger! Maybe that will make her think twice about accepting stupidly expensive gifts from her stepsister! Ahahahahaha!

"Any time." Aikobaz smiles and curls up under her blanket. "...Now, at this rate, if we talk for much longer, I might as well get dressed and head down to breakfast. Good night, Hope. And, um... thanks for being discrete."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

It Was On Fire When We Started To Burn It Down

"Right, yes. I'll leave you to it. Goodnight, Aikobaz, and thank you." Hope smiles and leaves, shutting the door as she does.

She'll barely notice the pinch when she next reaches into her pocket.

Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Morty »

[Outside DFI]
Recaiden wrote: Nov 12, 2022 2:37 am The priest just gives him a nod this time.
So Askeladd is staying away from his old friends and places. Moving on perhaps, or hiding, who else could say, really? Are his fellows likely to come looking for him over these disagreements, or is he just a story to them by now, just an idea? He is polite in any case.

"I would be happy to hear a story of yours. Something from far away from here."
Accepting the traveler's help would be proscribed, but a story shouldn't do any harm.
Askeladd gives a formal bow.

"I have one that might please you. It is the story of the Old Bull-King. I heard it from a traveler from a faraway land, one of warm seas and bountiful islands. They say he was a chosen of Luna, ruling over his own island-kingdom and forging many wonders in the depths of the earth, before he fell to treachery."
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Shadowcaller wrote: Nov 10, 2022 11:35 pm
Nightly Visit

"Not harder than visiting this place. Easier in fact. It tends to look a lot nicer too but... things are different there." Jaahlyn shakes her head. "Anyway, we should focus. We're almost at the other side now." She gesture ahead into the darkness. Jim of course seeing nothing.
Indeed, while he can feel that they're moving Strider movement across the river have been completely silent.

"Hoping you folks have had a nice trip. Usually I talk more but it sounds like you two got some catching up to do, ye'?"
Nightly Visit

"It's no problem, Strider. You've been exceptionally helpful." Jim isn't sure if he's not supposed to thank this kind of fey but it's probably better to be on the safe side.
"It sounds like we have travel ideas for another time." he adds to Jaahlyn with a wink.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Palace of Tina]

"Oh, Kirk," Fettina's voice turns soft, dreamy, and a little bit sad. "You're like a bird. Soaring over everything. Immune to everybody." She reaches out and squeezes his hand. "We can't all be like that."

"Just what are your priorities, Kirk? Tell me," she asks.