SPOOKTOBER 2023: Occult Night at the Oasis

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Re: SPOOKTOBER 2023: Occult Night at the Oasis

Post by Meowmai »

quillpleasant wrote: Oct 24, 2023 11:02 pm Dining Floor

Uh oh. Tespa has made a dangerous choice. At the question of Lia's favorite books, the mycoid's pupils quickly expand to fill her eyes, turning them all but black with excitement. "Well, if you're asking- my absolute favorite book is Don Quixote, it's just so rich with interpretation and social commentary while presenting one of the most complex tragicomic narratives in history. The deconstruction of chivalric ideals juxtaposed with the melacholic nostalgia and inherent folly of an idealized past creates an emotional dissonance that is just... absolutely lovely."

Lia takes a breath. "I also like The Once and Future King, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court... really just anything to do with knights and Arthurian myth." Another breath. Lia could talk about this all night, but she's too interested in Tespa to subject her to that.

She listens to Tespa's musings on fate as they continue their slow dance around the edge of the room. "If luck exists, then must fate also? My own destined fate is one I've spent quite a lot of time and energy avoiding." A certain bitterness in her voice at that. "But perhaps you're right- reality is significantly more complicated than good luck, or bad." The mycoid meets Tespa's eyes with a slight smile. "Perhaps we make our own luck. In which case, I choose to believe that black cats are a good omen."
Dining Floor

Well. Tespa had expected Lia to gush on about books, she had clearly been holding it back, but she hadn't quite been expecting how obviously visible her passion was. She didn't know eyes could get that wide! "Hmm, well, I see. You must really like knights." Tespa can't say she was big on them herself. Always so righteous, quick to the kind of mindless heroism that caused trouble for the likes of her. Still. She had to be nice. "I shall have to give at least one of those a read sometime."

The catfolk cannot miss the bitter tone in Lia's voice as the discussion moves onto topics of fate. "Yes, yes. It would be a mistake to believe one's fate is written in stone. Or at least, to choose to believe you cannot take a chisel to that stone, and aggressively re-sculpt the future... whether it be advisable or not. Even I, with all the motive to claim the knowledge i glean from my trade is absolute, must admit that. For all the visions bestowed upon me, not all come to pass... and even those that are true may not match my interpretation." She paused, flashing a toothy grin. "Thank you, thank you." Her dramatic grin becomes a smile that is at least a little more genuine. "I only hope I do not disappoint."
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Maze- Cheasami

"We're both girls, or nearly so in Asami's place. We're allowed to think girls are cute. Or do you think girls are supposed to find boys cute?" Cheasadh smiles at the spooky doggo, because she's trying not to laugh at Asami's reaction to her words being thrown back at her. Cheasadh thinks perhaps when they were at GLoG, Asami was having a bad day and she's not always quite so... obnoxious.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Morty »

[The Maze - Brinika and Micah]

"I knew it would work!" Brinika strikes a triumphant pose, as if it was the combination of all three liquids that destroyed the monster. "Let's keep moving."
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Gullara wrote: Oct 27, 2023 4:30 am [In the Wake of the Bab Swarm]

Sakura looks around, giving the space a fresh look. "I think you might be right. That's nice. I think this is such a great activity. I know our kids are always so excited about it."

The dryad glances back at the two conspiring children accompanying them right now. "Are you two going to go have fun with the others? Or are you up to something?" She raises her eyebrows.

"Nuh uh." Jillian replies, and both girl's giggle. Sounds like they're up to something, but they're closed lip!
Rebonack wrote: Oct 27, 2023 4:52 pm [In the Wake of the Bab Swarm]

There are many sounds here at the party. The sounds of music, the sounds of laughter, the sounds of conversion.

But in the midst of all those sounds Lucy might pick up on the sound of dragging chains nearby. Not a heavy clunking sounds. Nor a jagged scraping sound. But a delicate tinkling sound, a sound of fine chains woven like ropes. The sort of chains that would be used for decoration rather than restraining something scary.

Exactly the sort of sound that Annie the yeth-hound makes when she's skulking around invisibly. The yeth-children have been brought over to the Frescot's a few times to visit. They strange, definitely. And a little bit scary. But they're a fun sort of scary instead of a dangerous sort of scary. Annie is nice. She likes to run and chase even if she doesn't like the sun very much. And she LOVES flowers.

She's been dragging her chains around for a little bit to let Lucy know she's there while hiding from the grownups because hiding from the grownups is a fun game. When Sakura glances back to look at the girls the tinkling sound falls silent as Annie, still quite invisible, falls still.

Once Annie is sure the grownups aren't watching again she's speak up in a hushed whisper, a voice from the other side of the veil. "Psst. Lucy... Is this your friend?"

She's careful not to ask for the other girl's name because she doesn't want to take it.
[In the Wake of the Bab Swarm]

"If there's any night you are allowed to be 'up to something' it's this one. As long as you don't give your mothers a heart attack of course. Since I believe that's your sisters jobs." Cessie remarks, not detecting the presence of any 'Annie'.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Dining Floor

Lia tilts her head. "Weeell, it's not really the knights themselves so much as the inherent tragedy of fighting for honor and hope in a cruel and hopeless world. That sort of misplaced devotion is... fascinating to me." It's an extremely alien mindset to her, and yet more alluring for its strangeness. Which is how she feels about most unusual things.

As Tespa continues, Lia listens attentively. Fate and its workings have always been of the utmost importance to her, both in a scholarly and a horribly practical way, so she's quite pleased to be getting the input of someone who seems to have a lot of knowledge on the subject.

"Re-sculpt the future... I like that idea. The more I learn from people in this world, the less hopeless my situation seems to be, which is heartening. Perhaps in these myriad futures that you speak of, I can find one in which I am free, and content, with..." she trails off, glancing at the floor. "Well. One with a happy ending, whatever that might look like."

Glancing back up, she returns Tespa's smile. "You most certainly do not, this conversation has been wonderful. Although your talk of fate does have me curious about the reading you mentioned... but oh! Dancing with you is so lovely, it's not in me to put a stop to it." She blinks, putting on an expression of mock distress at this conundrum.
horses can attack and eat me
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[The Maze - Brinika and Micah]

Micah does instinctively move his arm in front of his face to shield himself from the oncoming slimesplosion. When he realises it was just an illusion, he puts his arm down and blinks awkwardly.

"...Right, let's move," he agrees, looking for and moving towards the door to the next room.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[The Maze - Cheasadh and Asami]

"I don't think ANYONE is cute; I just like scaring people," Jeb the yeth hound replies as he fades into invisibility again and starts slinking away with the sound of heavy, dragging chains.

He needs to get ready for the NEXT batch of people to move through here so he can scare them, too.

Our heroes will be able to freely move on! The door will take them through the backside of the maze and into a little exit room! There's a large bowl of candy waiting along with a bunch of little laminated paper badges stating that they conquored the maze! Hooray!

Micah and Brinika

Picking their way past the defeated slime monster, the pair of triumphant heroes will find themselves stepping out into the same exit lobby. They MIGHT spy Cheasadh and Asami there who MIGHT be holding hands.

Scandalous!
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

[The Maze - Exit]

Asami raises an eyebrow at Jeb, responding with derision, "What a sussy baka..." She doesn't linger on this, however, as her and Cheasadh make it to the exit.

Asami is making a conscious effort to keep the hand-holding going as long as possible, only really releasing her grip if she felt the other hand trying to break free. She clicked her tongue and remained silent, looking at Cheasadh expectantly while awaiting her to say the first thing.
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

[Dining Floor]

"Ahh... the indomitable human spirit railing against the world that tries to quash it. Yes, it is a curious thing. I can't say honour has ever gotten me particularly far. Hope, though... now, that might be worth it." She continues their slow circling, swaying to the music.

Tespa had never been the comforting type. She played her chosen role of ominous omen dealer quite diligently, so now she was floundering in unfamiliar territory. Uncertain, she squeezed Lia's hand, hoping it was reassuring. "I wish you the best in that endeavour. And, I'm glad to have met you too." She chuckles. "Such a conundrum. We could try the food here too- I don't know if it'll be to your taste, considering your apparent bone cravings... but good food can be a kind of art all of it's own, in a way. And new art is something you wish to experience, no?" Not that Tespa ever got to enjoy nice food all that much. Didn't matter how nice a steak was cooked if you could taste your own rotting tongue.
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Maze- Exit

Cheasadh is not trying to keep the handhold going, she's... kinda forgotten it's happening. Or possibly just that Asami's at the other end. "I can't tell if that's an insult or not, Asami. What do those words mean?" Cheasadh is only ever foiled by slang when it's Asami's slang. Maybe she needs to hang out on the internet more, but... the wifi connection in Underside is terrible. It's almost like they live under a rock!
Oh, wait.

Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Maze- Exit]

Brinika's ears perk up when she sees Cheasadh holding hands with Asami. She does her best not to jump to conclusions, but her first thought is that her sister needs better taste in girls.

"Looks like you beat us here."
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Rebonack wrote: Oct 27, 2023 4:52 pm [In the Wake of the Bab Swarm]

There are many sounds here at the party. The sounds of music, the sounds of laughter, the sounds of conversion.

But in the midst of all those sounds Lucy might pick up on the sound of dragging chains nearby. Not a heavy clunking sounds. Nor a jagged scraping sound. But a delicate tinkling sound, a sound of fine chains woven like ropes. The sort of chains that would be used for decoration rather than restraining something scary.

Exactly the sort of sound that Annie the yeth-hound makes when she's skulking around invisibly. The yeth-children have been brought over to the Frescot's a few times to visit. They strange, definitely. And a little bit scary. But they're a fun sort of scary instead of a dangerous sort of scary. Annie is nice. She likes to run and chase even if she doesn't like the sun very much. And she LOVES flowers.

She's been dragging her chains around for a little bit to let Lucy know she's there while hiding from the grownups because hiding from the grownups is a fun game. When Sakura glances back to look at the girls the tinkling sound falls silent as Annie, still quite invisible, falls still.

Once Annie is sure the grownups aren't watching again she's speak up in a hushed whisper, a voice from the other side of the veil. "Psst. Lucy... Is this your friend?"

She's careful not to ask for the other girl's name because she doesn't want to take it.
Shadowcaller wrote: Oct 29, 2023 8:51 pm [In the Wake of the Bab Swarm]

"If there's any night you are allowed to be 'up to something' it's this one. As long as you don't give your mothers a heart attack of course. Since I believe that's your sisters jobs." Cessie remarks, not detecting the presence of any 'Annie'.

Jillian giggles some more at her mom's remark. Sakura shakes her head at the girls and smiles before turning her attention away again. "I'm sure Cora will behave herself. How much trouble can she really get into?" She pauses to consider this thought for a moment. "I'm sure they'll be very busy with the activities and snacks anyway."

Meanwhile Lucy swings her head around, "Huh?" Oh, look who it is! "Hi Annie." She whispers. Jillian seems nervous about this newcomer, but Lucy takes her hand and gives a bright smile. "Yeah this is Jillian. Annie and her brothers and sisters visit us sometimes." She explains in both directions.
~Images by Soushiyo
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[The Maze - Blue, Adir, Khannie]

Blue positively glows at Khannie's praise. Then, onto the maze.

Blue is a little distracted by the silly, scary faces, but she manages to scrape enough attention together to try to hold a conversation with the unicorn. Especially once it sounds kinda serious. Adir walks along quietly beside.

"That's exactly what my daddy did for me," Blue says, as though that wasn't the point. She's a little more reserved talking about it though. She has bad dreams. It's strange, remembering bad things - sometimes it's like you're still right there. "How did that help you be more brave, Khannie?" It only feels like... For Blue it only feels like she's gotten more afraid. More reliant on daddy. She looks up at him, as though to check he's still there, and Adir wraps his hand around Blue's shoulder for a moment.

[The Maze - Jace, Zebes, Russell, Laurana]

"A sorcerer! Like a wizard!" Laurana declares. "A wizard unicorn. That is so cool. My auntie says she's a sorcerer. Sorcess. Whatever."

"Sorceress," Russell says. The boy speaks!

"Thank you Russell."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Maze - Blue, Adir, Khannie]

The silly faces ARE a little distracting. Khannie bumps into a mirror once or twice, picking her way through the maze. She hasn't ever navigated a mirror maze before, but eventually she realizes that if you keep any eye on the floor it makes it a little easier to figure out where you're looking at a mirror and where you're looking at an open passage.

"I realized I wanted to help people and be a hero too, just like my dad. I didn't really get less scared, even brave people are scared. I bet even your daddy was a little scared when he came to get you," Khannie replies. "But I realized that if you wanna be brave it isn't about not being scared, it's about helping even when you ARE scared."

Then she makes a silly face at one of the distorted mirrors, sticking out her tongue.

"I think you might have been a little scared about coming into the maze, but you came in anyway. And that's brave. The more scared you are, the braver you can be."

As our explorers move onward they are soon confronted by a FRIGHTFUL PRESENCE!

One of the shrouds begins fluttering as a scary skeleton face is projected on it, but SUDDENLY it leaps to life! Someone dressed in an all black body suit with a glow in the dark skeleton painted on it! The figure begins dancing and jittering around as bony music begins to play!

"I'm the haunted skeleton joker!" the skeleton declares. "And unless you have a joke to tickle my funny bone you will be trapped in the BONE ZONE forever!"

Oh no!

Not forever!

That's a long time!

"Hi Jillian!" the ghostly voice whispers back, perhaps a little TOO loudly. "Jeb and Wilbur aren't really my brothers G'Nichi just takes care of us because none of have got parents anymore."

There's a hint of sadness there. Annie really likes G'Nichi but she doesn't like being a ghost, unlike Jeb. And unlike the ghosts at Glog the three yeth-hounds are quite a bit more coherent. Not just spooky shapes and feelings.

"I'm going to appear, okay? Karaglen made me a costume!" Annie announces.

Ah, the fabled Karaglen, Lapis' much adored older sister. She hasn't been over to the Frescot house but Lapis has definitely mentioned her before as someone who makes beautiful things.

When Annie fades into view she is NOT a headless dog. Instead there's a clearly ghostly little girl, maybe a bit younger than Lucy, dressed in a sparkly silver princess dress! She's wearing a fancy mask like what someone might have at a ball with a silver tiara on top!

"Isn't it pretty?" Annie asks, giving a little spin and briefly revealing the fact that there isn't actually a head behind her mask. "Since it's Spooktober I can be whatever I want and I wanted to be a princess!"
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

[The Maze - Exit]

Micah breathes an involuntary sigh as he steps out into the exit lobby. Spotting Cheasadh and some girl he hasn't yet been introduced to holding hands, he asks "Hey, Cheasadh! Uh... who's your friend?"
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[The Maze - Exit]

With a cheerful voice that betrays not a hint of malice, Asami cheerfully states, "I have no idea!" A partial truth, as while she did know what baka meant, it felt like it took on an entirey new meaning as a loanword.

And now, the pair were being met with another group. As Micah was directly addressing Cheasadh, Asami addresses Brinika, "Yeah, looks like it. So, were you guys scared? I know we sure were!" Asami reaches across Cheasadh's back and throws an arm over her shoulder, chuckling heartily.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Maze, Exit

"This is Asami. She's... not really a friend yet, I've only met her twice." And she didn't really impress the first time, but she's made a much better impression this time. Which is one reason why Cheasadh doesn't mind being hugged quite so much. "I was not, in fact, particularly scared. There was a headless dog, that was legitimately scary, but I don't think he's a planned part of the maze. I think he's just having fun." She's used to the dark, so that wasn't scary, and she could smell the celery they were chomping so that wasn't scary either.

Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Gullara wrote: Nov 01, 2023 1:22 am [In the Wake of the Bab Swarm]

Jillian giggles some more at her mom's remark. Sakura shakes her head at the girls and smiles before turning her attention away again. "I'm sure Cora will behave herself. How much trouble can she really get into?" She pauses to consider this thought for a moment. "I'm sure they'll be very busy with the activities and snacks anyway."

Meanwhile Lucy swings her head around, "Huh?" Oh, look who it is! "Hi Annie." She whispers. Jillian seems nervous about this newcomer, but Lucy takes her hand and gives a bright smile. "Yeah this is Jillian. Annie and her brothers and sisters visit us sometimes." She explains in both directions.
Rebonack wrote: Nov 01, 2023 3:10 am [The Maze - Blue, Adir, Khannie]

The silly faces ARE a little distracting. Khannie bumps into a mirror once or twice, picking her way through the maze. She hasn't ever navigated a mirror maze before, but eventually she realizes that if you keep any eye on the floor it makes it a little easier to figure out where you're looking at a mirror and where you're looking at an open passage.

"I realized I wanted to help people and be a hero too, just like my dad. I didn't really get less scared, even brave people are scared. I bet even your daddy was a little scared when he came to get you," Khannie replies. "But I realized that if you wanna be brave it isn't about not being scared, it's about helping even when you ARE scared."

Then she makes a silly face at one of the distorted mirrors, sticking out her tongue.

"I think you might have been a little scared about coming into the maze, but you came in anyway. And that's brave. The more scared you are, the braver you can be."

As our explorers move onward they are soon confronted by a FRIGHTFUL PRESENCE!

One of the shrouds begins fluttering as a scary skeleton face is projected on it, but SUDDENLY it leaps to life! Someone dressed in an all black body suit with a glow in the dark skeleton painted on it! The figure begins dancing and jittering around as bony music begins to play!

"I'm the haunted skeleton joker!" the skeleton declares. "And unless you have a joke to tickle my funny bone you will be trapped in the BONE ZONE forever!"

Oh no!

Not forever!

That's a long time!

"Hi Jillian!" the ghostly voice whispers back, perhaps a little TOO loudly. "Jeb and Wilbur aren't really my brothers G'Nichi just takes care of us because none of have got parents anymore."

There's a hint of sadness there. Annie really likes G'Nichi but she doesn't like being a ghost, unlike Jeb. And unlike the ghosts at Glog the three yeth-hounds are quite a bit more coherent. Not just spooky shapes and feelings.

Ah, the fabled Karaglen, Lapis' much adored older sister. She hasn't been over to the Frescot house but Lapis has definitely mentioned her before as someone who makes beautiful things.

When Annie fades into view she is NOT a headless dog. Instead there's a clearly ghostly little girl, maybe a bit younger than Lucy, dressed in a sparkly silver princess dress! She's wearing a fancy mask like what someone might have at a ball with a silver tiara on top!

"Isn't it pretty?" Annie asks, giving a little spin and briefly revealing the fact that there isn't actually a head behind her mask. "Since it's Spooktober I can be whatever I want and I wanted to be a princess!"

Cessie smiles and looks like she's about to reply to Sakura when Annie appears.
In a moment she walked in between the trio. Positioning herself in-between the two girls and Annie. Her expression suddenly changed into that unmistakable frown of determination. "Can I help you?" She inquires.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Maze

"The difference between a sorcerer and a wizard is that wizards carry books and wear pointy hats." Jace tells the children sagely.
The hats are very important.
And then a skeleton! Zebes gives the Frescot girl a gentle nudge. He assumes Russel isn't a joke kind of kid.
"Well, do you have any jokes from your dad? Don't go dragon your feet now."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Maze - Exit]

Brinika's eyes drift between Cheasadh and Asami. It doesn't sound like Cheasadh fancies her so maybe Asami is just being affectionate? Something to be investigated later.

"We met a slime monster but we dispatched it thanks to my brilliant quick thinking," she proclaims, striking a pose.
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

[The Maze - Exit]

"Ah, well, in any case, nice to meet you, Asami! The name's Micah," Micah earnestly greets Asami. It looks to him like if they aren't really friends, she didn't get the memo. That's probably a good thing - after all, most friends start out as just friendly strangers.

"Huh? Ehh, yeah, something like that," Micah says sheepishly, throwing an arm behind his head in that way anime characters do when they're embarrassed. "Not that she could've done it without me, though," he adds, more confidently.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[The Maze - Exit]

A moment of pure shock befalls Asami. She gets off Chesadh and takes a step back, getting a sudden weak feeling.

The conversation proceeds as normal until Asami suddenly kneels to the ground and drops to her side, sprawling into the fetal position. She looks away from everyone before pulling her costume's mask (Vivi FFIX) over her face.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Keeper wrote: Oct 27, 2023 3:22 pm [Take a Pony, Leave a Pony]

Oof. Jace feels a little bad for causing drama. But it kind of feels like necessary drama.
"If you want my advice, kid: see a proper psychic. Maybe someone with experience digging around in people's heads can figure out if there's pieces of your memory floating around." Zebes chirps.
"Zebes, that's a bit extreme isn't it?" "I dunno it sounds like a problem that ain't gonna solve itself."
[Take a Pony, Leave a Pony]

There's a rattle of metal as Arthfael gives an involuntary shudder. "Oh, nonono, absolutely not. I don't want anybody rummaging around in my head, especially not when it's all jumbled up like this."

"...Why not? Are you afraid of what they might find?" Arne poses, his tone teetering on accusation.

"More what they might do." Arthfael whimpers.
Gullara wrote: Oct 23, 2023 3:47 am [Pallid Gals and Galloping Pals]

Reilana seems uncertain what to make of Salt, though she gives no sign of a negative impression at the very least. "Dulcinea and I both grew up here, so this way of celebrating is all we're really familiar with. It's actually true that this holiday itself isn't native to the Nexus though. It's a sort of amalgamation of different celebrations from different worlds that have some commonality between them. Maybe your home had some influence somewhere down the line." She poses.
Arkhosia wrote: Oct 27, 2023 4:34 pm [Pallid Gals and Galloping Pals]

Dulcinea doesn't seem to mind at all, considering she shakes Salt's hoof readily. "I understand. I've never known another version of the holiday myself, but I remember it feeling scary and new when I was figuring out some personal changes. Though if anything..." Her voice drops a little conspiratorially and she leans in. "it is the perfect place to get used to a new name and face." The remark is capped off with a wink and a discrete attempt to wipe her hand clean while Salt is presumably distracted.

"Reilana's right though," Dulcinea continues casually. "it's kind of remarkable when you think about it really - hundreds of different cultures have probably informed some element or other of the holiday around us. And I'm sure plenty of others have felt that uncanniness and helped shape it further in response, y'know?"
[Pallid Gals and Galloping Pals]

Salt's eyebrows (does she have eyebrows? Do those little tufts of hair over her eyes count as eyebrows?) raise a bit at Dulcinea's conspiratorial tone, leaving her looking slightly confused. Is that an in-joke? It has to be, it has all the markings of one, and yet somehow she has no idea what the joke actually is, and at this point it seems almost rude to ask. "...I suppose it is." She says finally.

"...Yeah, thinking on it, it is pretty remarkable." She continues, rolling her head to one side in an attempt to make better eye contact with the girls. "With that many cultures pitching in, it's amazing that the holiday is uncanny rather than unrecognizable. In a way, it implies we're all sort of here for the same general reason, doesn't it?" She looks up between them, trying to gauge whether they're all still on the same page or not. She never was very good at small talk.

...Oh, right. Some of the other ponies gave her some advice for this, didn't they? What did they keep saying to default to? Friends, Family, Fun? Miss Verdoyant said something similar, as she recalls. It's probably solid advice if they're both giving it.

"...So, um... how did you two meet?" She asks, hoping that came out sounding more organic than it felt.
Earl of Purple wrote: Oct 27, 2023 10:41 pm Where's the Bloodplunders?

Earl is assuming that Aikobaz said 'cousin' and not 'sister', as Hope's mother is Aigothurz' grandfather's half-sister.

"Well, let's find out." Aigothurz strides over to the wardrobe and pulls the doors wide- revealing a black-painted interior and a cardboard skeleton. Aigothurz doesn't react much, and tilts his head to one side before pressing at the back of the cabinet. "No person, and not a door, either. This is a dead end." He pushes the wardrobe doors shut- no reason to spoil the surprise for the next person!- and turns to go back. "You were in a city. You were always surrounded by high walls, they were just far enough away you didn't have to look at them all the time. But I get it, I think. One way forward, one way back... That's a bit emblematic of fate, isn't it? And I doubt a hedge maze knows better than you what the future held."
[Where's The Bloodplunders?]

"I mean, that's a different thing entirely." Aikobaz continues, following after him. "City walls are there to keep you safe. They offer protection against barbarians, assassins, even more general ne'er-do-wells who have to at least pass an inspection at the gates before they can be let into the city. There's nothing confusing or disorienting about that, and certainly nothing stifling, since you can leave whenever you like. Gods know I've snuck out more than a few times."

She turns left at the next intersection and continues the conversation unabated. "...Besides, I didn't see very much of them growing up, anyway. If I looked out my bedroom window at night, all I'd see would be miles and miles of ocean, going all the way out to the horizon. That's got to be nearly the opposite of living next to a wall."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ironsmith wrote: Nov 02, 2023 2:06 pm [Take a Pony, Leave a Pony]

There's a rattle of metal as Arthfael gives an involuntary shudder. "Oh, nonono, absolutely not. I don't want anybody rummaging around in my head, especially not when it's all jumbled up like this."

"...Why not? Are you afraid of what they might find?" Arne poses, his tone teetering on accusation.

"More what they might do." Arthfael whimpers.
[Take a Pony, Leave a Pony]

"Well, only let a psychic you trust look around in your head. That's always true." Jace says sympathetically. There's clearly a long story here.

Of course, Arne and the Maldwyns do know one psychic. Do they trust him? Eeeeh...
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Meowmai wrote: Oct 31, 2023 10:27 am [Dining Floor]

"Ahh... the indomitable human spirit railing against the world that tries to quash it. Yes, it is a curious thing. I can't say honour has ever gotten me particularly far. Hope, though... now, that might be worth it." She continues their slow circling, swaying to the music.

Tespa had never been the comforting type. She played her chosen role of ominous omen dealer quite diligently, so now she was floundering in unfamiliar territory. Uncertain, she squeezed Lia's hand, hoping it was reassuring. "I wish you the best in that endeavour. And, I'm glad to have met you too." She chuckles. "Such a conundrum. We could try the food here too- I don't know if it'll be to your taste, considering your apparent bone cravings... but good food can be a kind of art all of it's own, in a way. And new art is something you wish to experience, no?" Not that Tespa ever got to enjoy nice food all that much. Didn't matter how nice a steak was cooked if you could taste your own rotting tongue.
Dining Floor

"So far, neither hope nor honor have treated me particularly well. But perhaps that's why I keep coming back to them?" wonders Lia, glancing up as if the ceiling might hold the answers she's seeking. "And they always make so much more sense in stories than in real life. Much more...tidy." It's not quite the word she's looking for, as mess is hardly something that bothers her. Less painful, maybe.

But the mycoid does seem comforted, or at least distracted, by Tespa's efforts. The fact that the oracle actually cares about her woes is a nice change of pace for Lia, and she smiles brightly at the suggestion of food.

"I do love art... but most humanlike food I've found is altogether too fresh. I can only gain nourishment from the dead and decaying, so I usually just search for garbage or roadkill." This is stated in a matter of fact manner that suggests little awareness of how off putting that might be to some. "Of course, this is a rather unusual gathering- perhaps there will be more variety in fare."

She glances at the numerous spirits fluttering around the edges of the crowd, barely licking her lips. The moment Lia figures out how to eat ghosts, she'll be loathe to settle for anything less.

"So! Shall we examine what food this place has to offer, and then retire somewhere more private to exchange your reading for my mushrooms?"
horses can attack and eat me
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Rebonack wrote: Nov 01, 2023 3:10 am [In the Wake of the Bab Swarm]

Shadowcaller wrote: Nov 01, 2023 4:32 pm [In the Wake of the Bab Swarm]

Cessie smiles and looks like she's about to reply to Sakura when Annie appears.
In a moment she walked in between the trio. Positioning herself in-between the two girls and Annie. Her expression suddenly changed into that unmistakable frown of determination. "Can I help you?" She inquires.

"That's like brothers and sisters." Lucy suggests. Sounds pretty much the same to her. But it doesn't matter right now. Annie has a pretty dress!

Lucy oohs and ahs, but it's Jillian that really reacts. "Woooow, it's so pretty!" She enthusiastically steps closer to inspect when her mom swoops in. She falters back, mollified by Cessie's mood.

"Auntie Cessie! She's my friend!" Lucy steps decisively around Cessie to place herself at Annie's side. "Don't be mean." She protests. Should Cessie look back to Sakura for confirmation, the dryad will give a confirming nod.
Arkhosia wrote: Oct 27, 2023 4:34 pm [Pallid Gals and Galloping Pals]

Dulcinea doesn't seem to mind at all, considering she shakes Salt's hoof readily. "I understand. I've never known another version of the holiday myself, but I remember it feeling scary and new when I was figuring out some personal changes. Though if anything..." Her voice drops a little conspiratorially and she leans in. "it is the perfect place to get used to a new name and face." The remark is capped off with a wink and a discrete attempt to wipe her hand clean while Salt is presumably distracted.

"Reilana's right though," Dulcinea continues casually. "it's kind of remarkable when you think about it really - hundreds of different cultures have probably informed some element or other of the holiday around us. And I'm sure plenty of others have felt that uncanniness and helped shape it further in response, y'know?"
Ironsmith wrote: Nov 02, 2023 2:06 pm [Pallid Gals and Galloping Pals]

Salt's eyebrows (does she have eyebrows? Do those little tufts of hair over her eyes count as eyebrows?) raise a bit at Dulcinea's conspiratorial tone, leaving her looking slightly confused. Is that an in-joke? It has to be, it has all the markings of one, and yet somehow she has no idea what the joke actually is, and at this point it seems almost rude to ask. "...I suppose it is." She says finally.

"...Yeah, thinking on it, it is pretty remarkable." She continues, rolling her head to one side in an attempt to make better eye contact with the girls. "With that many cultures pitching in, it's amazing that the holiday is uncanny rather than unrecognizable. In a way, it implies we're all sort of here for the same general reason, doesn't it?" She looks up between them, trying to gauge whether they're all still on the same page or not. She never was very good at small talk.

...Oh, right. Some of the other ponies gave her some advice for this, didn't they? What did they keep saying to default to? Friends, Family, Fun? Miss Verdoyant said something similar, as she recalls. It's probably solid advice if they're both giving it.

"...So, um... how did you two meet?" She asks, hoping that came out sounding more organic than it felt.
[Pallid Gals and Galloping Pals]

Reilana gives an amused little smirk at that. "Not sure. I'm guessing we were put down next to each other at some point. I don't remember being an infant, though." She replies wryly. Feeling generous, she adds a little extra context. "Our parents knew each other before we were born."
~Images by Soushiyo
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"It's a little bit like brothers,"
Annie says, her acquiescence begrudging at best. "I like your costumes too! Did someone make them? Did you go to a Spooktober store? We went to one of those yesterday and pretended to be Spooktober decorations and then scared people when they got close."

Annie will admit that her 'brothers' had way more fun with that than she did. Spooking people IS fun but when it's all you ever do it isn't AS fun.

BUT THEN ADULT!

Cessie's tone is intimidating and Annie reacts by becoming a little more translucent and insubstantial than she was, but she doesn't quite disappear. "I just wanted to show Lucy and her friend my costume," the ghost? spirit? replies. Maybe she counts as a yokai? Definitely SOMETHING unusual. But something that appears to be mostly harmless.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Maze- Exit

Cheasadh smiles at Micah's boast, disbelieving it entirely but not challenging it. But then Asami collapses! "Are you OK, Asami? Do you want a glass of water or something? Uh, chocolate maybe?" Cheasadh sounds a bit concerned, but isn't sure what's going on. Her first thoughts are perhaps inaccurate, but she's used to working with children and usually water or chocolate fixes things.

Where Are The Bloodplunders? In the Maze

Careful with your words, Aikobaz. You're talking to someone destined to be a barbarian warlord.

"City walls don't keep you safe. It's an illusion. My great-grandfather took the city of Immonia by questioning some merchants, dealers in black spice. They showed him some smuggler's tunnels, and he used them to get a small force into the city after nightfall, which was able to capture the gate and let the rest of the army in." Which is why the walls are intact enough for the spider-goddess to be able to throw teeth from them.

The next intersection is a dead end, so Aigothurz frowns and turns around to go back to the wardrobe, which does in fact contain a door. There's a hidden smoke machine and plastic skeletons on the other side of it. "I grew up without walls, I never felt threatened. And they are stifling, to me at least. I miss the horizon when I'm in a city. I like the ocean, though. That much water... if it could be drunk, many would call it heaven." The only sea Aigothurz knew before he moved into a city was the Whispering one, and that's not exactly wet.

Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Maze - Exit]

Brinika also looks at Asami, the extreme reaction interrupting her boasting.

"Yeah, are you... okay?"
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

[The Maze - Exit]

"Uh, oh geez," Micah says nervously when Asami drops to the floor.

"I-is this normal?" he asks nobody in particular, while looking around to see if there's anybody else nearby who might have more experience with this kind of thing.