Riverside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: Riverside

Post by Keeper »

A Casual Walk

Jim raises an eyebrow.
"Attractive to 'em?' Who is 'em in this case? The other satyrs?" Because THAT certainly sounds like it would go nowhere pretty.

The Toy Tinker

With a nod to both Jim returns Jaahlyn's smile.
"Well, that sounds like a plan to me. See you at nine for movie and dreamwalking?" he suggests to Jaahlyn.
Very innocent. Yes.

Tags:
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

A Casual Walk

"Can ye' say 'e doesn't deserve it?" The bird inquires. It's voice calm yet tense. Betraying its unnerving intentions.

"It's mad. No use talking to it." The moose declares with a scoff. "We should discuss something more pleasant."

"What about a duel, mate? Satyrs love dueling mortals. Win 'et an' make him promise he won't hurt anyone for hundreds of years." The canine suddenly suggests.

The moose let's out a loud sigh and turns to address the other animals. "Can we stop trying to get the princess beloved in mortal peril for even a minute, please?"
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Into the Looking Glass]

Anastasia prove fairly amenable to Siana's guidance as the other teen shelters her under her aegis and leads her out, responding with a soft "okay" after a handful of seconds and a couple reassuring words. It's only once they're out of the wardrobe that she manages to put together a more cohesive response, turning back to Siana and offering her a wan smile. "Thanks, I... um, yeah. I needed that."

White Pawn, however, earns a slightly confused look. "I- I don't know what that is, but - I think I'm fine, really. B-besides, I don't wanna hold any of the guests up."

- - -

Upon their return, the rest of the party guests can probably note that Anastasia seems more shaken than when she first left the table - maybe a bit more than Siana herself was, honestly. She's managed to wrestle most of her anxiety down, but she still seems a little pale and jumpy.

The appetizer Anastasia is served is fairly simple - a plate of kimchi wang mandu, steamed to perfection and served alongside another glass of lemonade. Her eyes light up when she sees it and instantly moves to grab a bite, her stomach growling. It's only after she's halfway through the first bun that she thinks to glance and see what the rest of the guests are eating.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Into the Looking Glass]

Siana's appetizer looks to be a solid, papery lump of some sort, the like of which even she doesn't recognize at first. It just sits there, unassuming, on her tray, and doesn't appear to be anything bearing much description until she cuts into it experimentally, releasing a puff of woodsy smoke into her face and causing her to jump back in her chair in surprise. It's not until the smoke dissipates and she has a moment to pull open the incision that she realizes what she's seeing.

Well, that and the first couple of bees crawling drunkenly out of the now-ruined hive.

Siana breaks off a piece of the honeycomb, eyeing it critically as she considers whether or not this would be particularly safe to eat. It's not a food source she's ever really considered before. At least not like this. But... what's the worst they can do, sting her?

crunch

"...Mn~!" The strigoi doubles over in light ecstasy, wiping a bead of honey from her lip. She's not sure what the thought process was in selecting this dish, but whoever had the idea was an underappreciated genius. The bees themselves were the only part that gave her sustenance, but the honeycomb carried an unreplicable nostalgia factor, giving her something she could enjoy both now and back in what childhood memories she had.

She really ought to respond to strange invitations more often.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Casual Walk

Deserve doesn't necessarily factor into it. Sometimes evil isn't something you inflict on someone else even if they've done it themselves. This, Jim is sure no matter how cheesy it sounds.
"A duel? Like with pistols or something? I don't know how to use weapons like that. And that does well, sound pretty mortal peril-y." Especially against an immortal he knows next to nothing about.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Eew Showers]

Even if Tahara's a kid, it's possible that the ghost/spirit thing she is now is actually quite old. Though apparently no more learned of the world. But at least it sounds like her birthday was at the end of January, beginning of February. Leah will just pretend it's January 31st. Easy to remember that way. And close enough counts. Though she was hoping for a year more than any actual day. Alas.

"I could guess," Leah says. She can't imagine bugs need long memories considering their propensity for shorter lifespans. "What's your sister's name? Do you remember where you used to live before where you are now?" Leah has some pointed issues to take up with this sister of Tahara's.

"My birthday?" Oh gosh. The last thing Leah wants is Tahara doing something nice for her. Leah's already suffered multiple such attempts. "Well... I... can't just tell you. I actually have three sisters that I actually share a birthday with. We're quadruplets. It wouldn't be fair to them if you were extra nice to me on our shared birthday."

[Into the Looking Glass]

Ilpholin would consider what Nye does to be something more along the lines of head of security or chief of staff or something like that over what nobility implies, but she supposes it's not all that different. Unless fey draws the lines more unusually than she previously knew. Quite possible. She never did dive deep into the King in Rags culture.

The phyrexian eyes Siana and Ana as they return. Speaking of fey culture, how likely was it that those two were kidnapped and replaced while they separated themselves from the group? Not that Ilpholin supposes it matters to her whether they were duplicated or not. Just twice as untrustworthy as before.

A bowl with a rather active rainbow trout and an undying flame beside it is placed before Ilpholin and she just stares at it with some undisguised confusion for a time. She was well practiced in making food disappear without eating it, but what was she supposed to do with this? After a moment of glancing at the other meals, her gaze returns to the enigma in front of her. Right. She picks up the fishbowl and repositions it over the flame, holding the thing with her bare hands and rotates it above the fire, letting the water heat up slowly to a simmering boil.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Eew Showers]

"Jubi. Or Jubilee, as she calls herself now. And where we're from... I don't think you would have heard of it." Tahara replies dismissively. "My sister and I are from a town called Long Falls, in the far-off land of Kansas. It doesn't really matter anyway; neither of us have been there in a long time. We haven't been to Ainran in a while, either. Just sort of... you know. Around."

At Leah's deflection regarding her birthday Tahara gives a little laugh. "That's okay! I can find enough presents for the four of you. Besides, isn't it more unfair to not be able to enjoy your birthday because the four of you don't have the same friends?" She lowers herself onto her arms and lets out a little sigh. "...I just know it's awful when nobody remembers. But... I guess you don't have that problem, right? Four of you born on the same day, I bet you get together and throw a big old party." She grins. "I get why you wouldn't want me there. I scare people. And look gross. Good way to ruin it for your sisters. But... I'd still like to get you something. If that's okay."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[The Toy Tinker]

Sticks softly coughs into his metal fist and makes himself scarce looking for something behind the counter for a moment. Ah, to be young and... in love? Dating? Lusting? Who could guess with this generation. They certainly seemed very fond of each other, and that was all that counted.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Into the Looking Glass]

Whatever it was exactly that drove those tow to leave the table, they don't seem to have found much to their liking out there. How close is the underworld proper to this very room?
And the black-side guests also seem fairly out of place here.
She should be more suspicious than she has been. There are certainly layers and layers of meaning to puzzle out here.

"Welcome back, you two."

Before The General is set a plate of locusts with various candy coatings. She's neither as perplexed as Ilpholin - is the demon-hunter holding a boiling bowl in her hands, that's impressive - or as eager as the two kids, simply picking up one chocolate-coated bug and biting it in half to start.
Something only a cursed person can enjoy, and that she hasn't had since she was an unknowing cursed child - the implications of Nye selecting this dish are obvious. And what do the other appetizers mean to their allotted guests?
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Into the Looking Glass]

The King doesn't spare Anastasia and Siana a second glance. They are amusing, in a way, but ultimately inconsequential to him. His attention is on this as yet mysterious matter Nye wishes to discuss.

His dish is a... pair of snakes that are consuming each other. A curious choice, to say the least, but an appropriate one, as the King seems unwilling or unable to remove his mask
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Into the Looking Glass]

Anastasia slows as she glances around and digests what everyone else in the group has been served, feeling her appetite somewhat sizably diminished. Siana and the General's appetizers are... a little unusual and unsettling, for sure, but the real bad ones are Ilpholin and the King in Rags. I mean, Siana's meal involved living things too yes, but that paled in comparison to seeing an animal visibly boil or be slowly devoured.

This isn't enough to stop Ana from eating entirely, however - the hunger she innately feels remains enough to keep her nibbling at her mandu, not to mention the concern over showing disrespect to their host.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Into the Looking Glass]

Nye is served a small pie of some sort. Decorated with various red berries and vegetables. However, as mouthwatering delicious this meal might seem she have yet to even touch it. Choosing to instead stand up and address her guests once more.

"Now that we're digging in, I will tell you the rules of the first game we're going to play tonight."

She spreads her arms to her side and looks from one side of the table to the other. "It's called jury and executioner and it's relatively simple. Soon a murderer will be presented to you, played by one of the entertainers, and I will tell you of the terrible deed they've committed. After that, the game is played in three rounds. During the first round each one of you will be able to ask the murderer one question. Then in the second round you will declare what fate you think the murderer deserves which is one of two options. Either they're released or they are executed, you cannot abstain from this. You might argue your case but it isn't obligatory though recommended." Nye grins.
"Since you see in the third and final round rather than voting for one of the two options you will be voting for the person you best though presented the option you considered fair. You may not vote for yourself though if no one else went for the option you believe in you may abstain. Once the sentence have been made the person with the most votes win. In the case of a tie... well, I'll keep that a secret until it becomes relevant."

She then sits down again and looks for raised hands or voices. "Any questions?"

A Casual Walk

"Pistols? Nay' mate. Death might be what the princess can give but most other satyrs be' different. They're crafty ya' see? Likes to create unique experiences n' emotions... or somethin'. Point is, the duel have to be to make somethin'. A song, poetry, speech, art, even a tool. Things that make people feel stuff, ye'? That sort of challenge they cannot' resist."

"Certainly better than anything else you two have come up so far. But it's still selfish and dangerous. What happens if Jim loses? Bad things, that's what." The moose chides.
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Aug 22, 2022 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Into the Looking Glass]

Siana leans forward in her seat, giving Nye an incredulous look. "That's... a bit weighty for an icebreaker." She notes. When the invitation said there would be games, she was expecting Twenty Questions, Charades, Pin the Tail on the Donkey, maybe Darts at the most involved. Putting a murderer on trial wasn't really her idea of-

Oh.

Ooooooh no.

The entertainers... was that what they were for?

The strigoi's face goes pale as she pulls back into her seat. If the King in Rags is interested in some nice, fresh waves of barely-concealed terror, he'll find plenty in Siana just this moment.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Casual Walk

”So my only hope would be a musical contest? I’m not sure I could beat someone with that much time and experience. And who knows what he would ask if I lost.” Jim ponders. It certainly doesn’t seem like he would have much hope of winning…
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

A Casual Walk

"Musical contest?" The canine asks, sounding confused. "I thought yer' a wizard?"

"Perhaps he's a rhapsodes like the princess? That would explain her interest in him."

"And a wizard?" The two just stares at him for a moment.
"Well, either way, there's probably something better you could challenge him to. Something you're good at."

"And then ye' can cheat with 'yer magic, right?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Casual Walk

”I am a toy maker, an illusionist, and a musician. I like to think I’m good at all of those things.” Jim explains.
”And frankly I was expecting to cheat with spiked wine.”
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

A Casual Walk

"It's a good idea." The bird suddenly chimes in. "If yer' are not going along with my plan ya' might as well humiliate 'im with this 'duel'. Put somethin' really nasty in there and watch 'im squirm as he starts losing."

"As tempting as that might sound, satyrs aren't exactly new to that sort of poisoning. They employ it themselves for reasons I shall not name."

"Ye' mate, you will have to catch him off-guard somehow. Give him a real good distraction." The canine nods but is starting to sound optimistic despite the moose's misgivings.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Eew Showers]

Leah tilts her head. "Jubilee? Now? Are you still in touch with your sister then?" The catgirl had gotten the impression there had been a violent separation, though if Tahara is a ghost, maybe she haunts Jubilee now and again. A old lady with a haunted trash can. That's sure to be some childhood rumors for some kids in the suburbs.

Tahara's point about making things awful for her sisters actually almost tempts Leah to get the garbage witch in on the party. But no kid, dead or not, needs to see the promiscuous and hedonistic debauchery that permeates her sisters to their core on their birthday. No kid and no adult really, and maybe even cover the eyes of any random nearby puppy too. Sleeveless dresses, what was the world thinking!

"Yeah... sure, a present would be fine. I'll look forward to it," Leah says with a smile.

[Into the Looking Glass]

The smell of cooking flesh reminds Ilpholin that she's holding the boiling bowl and after a few moments longer to ensure the fish is completely dead, she'll set it back down. It doesn't take much to notice that Nye isn't eating, much like the King in Rags. Though, she's never known the swampy fey to eat anything other than her. Were the snakes some sort of symbolism. Vicious cycle and all that? Those kind of metaphors are better suited for the learned and scholarly.

Though they may learn something of each other from Jury and Executioner. Strangely though, the game seemed solely about the jury part. So perhaps Nye was holding a little bit back in regards to the outcome.

"Will the person who wins be the one who must carry out the sentence they chose?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Into the Looking Glass]

Anastasia listens to Nye speak rather politely, finding the whole concept rather curious. It was perhaps a bit unique of a party game, but she could see some of the logic in it. There would be quite a lot of interesting debate to have about it, and considering the people here they might even have a nice spread of opinions. And there should be some fun in seeing the various characters being put on by the entertainers - though she can't help but feel slightly nervous about the concept of having to see whatever was whispering to her earlier "onstage".

And speaking of anxiety! The fox looks between Siana and Ilpholin as they react in their own ways, one seeming far more characteristically ghoulish than the other. "Hey, uh, hold on - no one said anything about actually like, carrying out any sentences here. I-I mean, it's all just a game, and these are all made-up performances, right Miss Trued? Like, for fun, with no actual impacts and consequences?" Ana looks to Nye for confirmation, a nervous sort of positivity on her face. Surely these two were mistaken!
~Welcome to Night Vale
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Reinholdt wrote: Aug 22, 2022 10:00 am [Eew Showers]

Leah tilts her head. "Jubilee? Now? Are you still in touch with your sister then?" The catgirl had gotten the impression there had been a violent separation, though if Tahara is a ghost, maybe she haunts Jubilee now and again. A old lady with a haunted trash can. That's sure to be some childhood rumors for some kids in the suburbs.

Tahara's point about making things awful for her sisters actually almost tempts Leah to get the garbage witch in on the party. But no kid, dead or not, needs to see the promiscuous and hedonistic debauchery that permeates her sisters to their core on their birthday. No kid and no adult really, and maybe even cover the eyes of any random nearby puppy too. Sleeveless dresses, what was the world thinking!

"Yeah... sure, a present would be fine. I'll look forward to it," Leah says with a smile.
[Eew Showers]

"Er... not so much." Tahara admits, shrugging. "More I keep an eye on her. If she ever realized I was still alive she'd probably try to finish the job. Which would be a literal dumpster fire, so..."

Yeah. No need to elaborate further.

"But anyway!" Tahara smiles and rubs her hands together, hopping out of the trash bin, a pair of plastic bags wrapped around her feet to buffer them against the floor so Leah won't have to clean all over again after she leaves. "I should probably get going. Lots to do tonight. But I'll be back before you know it. And I'll use the door this time. Pinky swear." She holds up a filth-encrusted hand making the requisite gesture, staring at Leah awkwardly for a moment before hesitantly lowering it again. "I'll, um... I'll just pretend we shook on it. No big. Anyway, I'll see you soon. And... I don't think I can say this enough, but thanks."

With that, the trash witch smiles and makes her way to the front door. She can't actually open it without leaving a mess, but she's sure Leah's not going to have any compunctions about letting her out.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Into the Looking Glass]

"Yes, we've heard about the jury, so where does the executioner come in? If you're the um, witness, and your entertainers the accused... There's no fourth round that you may have forgotten to mention?"
What an interesting puzzle. Certain guests certainly seem predisposed to certain outcomes (verdicts, do they call it?) without even hearing the account of the crime. Though she never did enjoy the enforcement of discipline part of things. Now that she thinks about it, this is a pretty weird party game, huh?

While considering this, The General offers some of her appetizer to Ana (who seems like the only other one eating remotely normal food) with a simple outstretched plate.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Casual Walk

Chemistry was going to be Jim’s major before he got his apprenticeship but this is a pretty specific application.
”How strong is a satyr’s nose? I don’t know if I have anything nasty that wouldn’t be pretty obvious.” something that’s odorless and toxic isn’t something illusionists have on hand ready to go.
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Into the Looking Glass]

"Justice is an unfamiliar concept to us Gentry." The King, once again, seems more amused than anything. "Who am I to say whether the accused should live or die, if their actions didn't affect me or mine?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Into the Looking Glass]

"Oh the execution itself will be a breeze. If you decide on that course of action the person with the most votes will just have to pull a lever." She gestures towards the stairs leading down into the black changing room where a group of black pawns are busy carrying up a large guillotine.

"But of course no one is actually getting executed. I said they were played by one of the entertainers didn't I? I got the impression they wanted to give it an air of realism when they rehearsed but rest assured that no one is getting hurt in these games. It's all just glamours and theater. Well made for sure but ultimately not real so just try to enjoy the effort that have been put into it and don't worry about it."

"Likewise, if you choose to free them the person with the most votes will get to free them from their chains with the key I provide. Nothing strange about that I hope." She looks between the guests once more and her gaze lingers on the King. "Why that's why it's a game. Like we pretend to care about a lot of things we are going to pretend to care about this one to in order to entertain ourselves." Nye clears her voice. "But unless there are any more questions or objections, I feel we can start this now, yes?"

A Casual Walk

"How good smell does a goat have? Or a human for that matter? Not that impressive... I think. All I know is animated skeletons completely lack it. Speaking from personal experience of course." The moose remarks.

"Shouldn't a goat be good at smelling since it eats grass? Either way, Leer Eyes have had a human nose each time I've seen 'im."

"Yes, so what are ye' planning to put in? There's some pretty potent poisons in da' underworld..."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Casual Walk

”If I wanted to just poison him that would’ve been Plan A. If his body isn’t any more durable than a human’s it doesn’t need to kill him. Just act slowly so if he drinks it before or during the challenge it’ll make him botch it.” Which of course, might be an issue. Given that he can’t make any assumptions about whether or not he could convince the satyr to drink it.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Into the Looking Glass]

Where were they even keeping that?

Siana subconsciously rubs at her neck as she watches the servants haul the guillotine up. That's... a lot of spectacle for a party game. And if that's a real guillotine, there's still plenty of reason to be nervous; it might not be intended for use on anyone in the room, but it still could be.

...Then again, so could her sword. Maybe she's being paranoid.

"So, this... murderer, they're pretend, too, right?" Siana asks. "We're not going to be passing judgement on a real person, even if they're not here right now and having an actor stand in for them?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

A Casual Walk

"Not all poisons kill." The bird protests. "The underworld got all kinds of bad mojo we could use."

"...except Jim can't go down there so it's a moot point. Still, one has to be cautious if sabotage is your goal here. I still don't support this idea but I don't have any love for Leer Eye either. So I implore you Jim, if you're going through with this you should find assistance that aren't old memories animated into animal bones."

The canine let's out a scoff at this idea but doesn't seem to have any comments right now.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Casual Walk

Jim considers this. He doesn’t have many people he can ask about this. And this is the exact kind of thing Sticks has left behind quite pointedly.
He does have one thought.
”Are there any other fey in the city that know him? Who might help me?” he asks.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Eew Showers]

Leah opens her mouth, about to insist Tahara elaborates further, but it's clear the subject is painful and the catgirl stops pressing. At least she can be on the lookout in the event she meets anyone by that name. No one would be terribly upset if Leah introduced Jubi to her fist right?

The avatar? of purity steps over to the door and opens it for Tahara. "Well don't work too hard. I'll look forward to your visit then." Leah provides a parting smile for the young garbage witch.

Well that was all horribly traumatic, though it didn't end poorly at least.

Psssssshhhhhh
Oh right.
The bathroom.

Leah's going to have to hire some plumbing wizards.

[Into the Looking Glass]

Ilpholin raises an eyebrow at Ana's panicky retort. Of course no one said anything about carrying out the sentences. That's why Ilpholin asked. When dealing with fey, one must see two to three steps beyond what they say and imagine the consequences. The vampire seems to have the right idea at least.

"And what if it is a real person at stake here? What would that change?" Ilpholin asks thoughtfully, lightly drumming the table with fingers that are looking healthier by the moment and speaking with gravitas. "Would you argue differently somehow? Would you balk at the responsibility of deciding a person's fate?" The drow tilts her head to get a better angle on Siana's sword. "You would decide a person's fate upon the battlefield. Is it not better to pursue discourse instead?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Into the Looking Glass]

Oh, that's a guillotine. Anastasia startles slightly at the sight, but relaxes as their host speaks and provides further detail on the game planned for them. "Okay, well - as long as no one's actually getting hurt, I don't think I have any problems - oh, um, no thank you." She blinks in surprise and politely refuses the General's offer, appreciative but slightly disconcerted.

Looking over, Ana notes Siana's question with curiosity, before realizing a possibility with no small amount of anxiety - the kind that the King in Rags might recognize all too well as the sudden chilling fear of some deep secret getting out. If the entertainers were playing murderers, and one of them was clearly aware of her own monstrous deed... would she herself be a figure in this?

It's a dread she manages to hide from her face adequately however, turning to Ilpholin and Siana as they begin to discuss the finer points of ethical bloodshed. "A-a battlefield is... easier, isn't it? I mean, when you're in a life-or-death situation, and you have to defend yourself, you're like, acting on decisions someone makes in the moment, yeah? Instead of trying to make sense of an aftermath." She shrugs. "That's the impression I get, at least?"
~Welcome to Night Vale