GLoG

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: GLoG

Post by Rebonack »

[Oh Deer]

On the edge of Glog there's an odd orange encrusting mushroom growing on the underside of a tree branch. It glows like a hot coal and wavers with heat. The mushroom really hasn't done anything odd, aside from sitting there being a mushroom. Behind the scenes it's part of a vast fungal network engaging in the merchant's art of shuttling nutrients from one plant to another for a reasonable commission.

A good job for a mushroom.

But right now, more importantly, it is releasing a little glowing ember of a spore serving as the final shining breadcrumb in a long trail.

And following that trail?

There should be a little funny looking deer.

She'll crest a hill, looking down on the campsite and the lake. All the trees are just beginning to leaf out in their spring greenery. The wildflowers are beginning to burst forth. It's a pleasant, picturesque view of a peaceful, safe place.

A place well protected from forces of violence and corruption.

Maybe a place where the little pudu will be able to find rest for a time.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Reinholdt wrote: Apr 04, 2024 9:32 am
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith wrote: Apr 04, 2024 6:28 pm
► SHOW SPOILER
Paternity Problems

Atya raises an eyebrow as she watches Reinholdt's confusion. Not recognizing an osmotic syringe... she can't even imagine. Still, not everyone's gone through years of experimental medical treatment, so she can't really fault him for it.

Contrary to Braon's internal beliefs, Atya isn't hoping for any particular outcome. Both possibilities fill her with a mix of trepidation, albeit for different reasons. But she's trying very hard not to think about the future right now. Just focus on what's right in front of her, one step at a time.

The compliment throws her for a loop, though. Is Braon making fun of her? "Oh, really? ...thanks. I usually wear contacts, but those don't cut it on the bad days." Oh, she hadn't meant to be that honest. "Or, I mean, they make a good part of the disguise. Yeah."

She coughs, pushing her glasses up. Once Atya confirms whether or not she and Braon's friendship will last beyond today, then she can consider how best to explain her condition. Hopefully a little less dramatically than she did with Reinholdt. Speaking of...

"Um, doctor? How long til the samples are analyzed?" she asks.
horses can attack and eat me
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Paternity Problems]

"Oh I'm sure kids will sit still for it. Once." And then never again. Reinholdt holds out his hand for Miranda, letting her make it all tingly and warm.

"Pie not cake. I'm sure there's a slice in it for you." Pies infamously split into seven without any issue, right? Rein takes his hand back and looks it over before shrugging. He moves back to let Miranda do her work, stepping beside Atya. Making sure to take one or three more glances towards all windows, entrances, and exits.

"Right? Doesn't she look adorable in glasses? I'll have to convince her to wear them for me once in a while," Reinholdt insists, with a soft pinch to Atya's side. They can find situations to wear them in, Rein's sure. Plenty of opportunities there.
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Birds and Babs- Treasure Hunt]
Meowmai wrote: Apr 03, 2024 8:43 am "You both look great in those!" Kestrel says, before placing Silver back down and continuing to give him treats. "I keep getting told I spoil him too much, but it's hard not to. And no need for thanks! I had fun." She smiles gently at the Woblins, feeling a little more proud than she should over being called cool by a child.

"Do you wanna head back to your mum soon or do you wanna play some more with me and Silver?"
The twins' response is pretty predictable.

"We wanna play some more!"

"Yeah! We've never played with a real wolf cub before!"
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Paternity Problems]

"Well, thanks to the miracles of modern medicine and beyond, you're looking at... about five minutes, if you're willing to trust an AI to do all the heavy lifting. We can do a more conventional test concurrently, if you would like; that'll be three to five days, probably." Miranda pauses for a moment, then, "For the record, I'm not a doctor. I'm what we would refer to back home as a 'qualified medical technician'. Basically a nurse, but leaning a little more heavily on specialized machinery. That won't affect the results of the test, but I'd rather be transparent about my qualifications before there's any potential for misunderstandings."

Braon, meanwhile, suddenly finds herself in a bit of an awkward third-wheel situation as Rein starts flirting with her again and she's just kinda... left nodding along.

That's probably not going to be the last time that happens.

In the time it takes for her to start getting awkward about it again, Miranda's already opened the little plastic case, which contains a series of tiny vials, each of which holds a red bead in suspension, while the top half of the case holds an embedded screen. Miranda spends a few minutes switching out the vials in various permutations, amidst much indignant beeping from the machine, before she finally turns her attention to a printer in the corner of the room and the documents it scrolls out seemingly in response to her actions.

"...Well, that's... interesting." Miranda begins, looking over the documents. "There's a discrepancy in the number of chromosomes between you two. Strictly speaking, reproduction between you shouldn't be possible; in humans, missing one chromosome can result in severe developmental disorders, and a hypothetical child between the two of you would be missing about twelve, at a minimum, and what you do have wouldn't line up cleanly. That's... medically fascinating, but a little bit of a hindrance with determining the results of a DNA test."

"So, he's... not the father, then?" Braon prompts.

"I didn't say that. Following the logic that would immediately disqualify him would also disqualify you as their mother, since there's a similar discrepancy between you and them." Miranda frowns, thumbing through the pages. "Which I think we can safely rule out. I think we're going to have to extend the timetable on getting clear results from this; I'm going to have to consult with someone who understands genetics better than I do."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Paternity Problems

Five minutes is okay. Atya can wait that long. She nods at the credential clarification- all medical personnel are doctors to her, but she won't argue the point.

And luckily for Braon, Atya's not much in the mood for flirting; she waves off Reinholdt's comment with an awkward smile. This isn't just because of the day's events- she's quite insecure about using glasses at all, since they're an outward sign of her body's ongoing deterioration. It'll be a while before she can accept a compliment about something she perceives as a weakness.

But she does stand close to him as the results are examined, fidgeting as little as possible.

Man, this machine seems complicated. Atya hasn't been to a paternity test before, but she kind of figured it like a pregnancy test. Put the DNA on a stick and if the colors match then Bob's your uncle. Or Rein's your father as the case may be. But apparently there's a whole lot of science that goes into it.

Her eyebrows slowly come together as Miranda explains the chromosomal discrepancy. It makes sense to her- she's been studying biochemistry as of late in her ongoing efforts to treat herself. But just because she understands it doesn't mean she's happy about it.

And at the mention of taking longer, that frustration cracks her shell. ""Muk puhta," she curses under her breath, slipping into elvish for a moment. Then a moment later she's all smiles and reassurance once more.

"That's understandable, accuracy is important. Thank you for working on this, Ms Cortez," she says, bringing her hands together in a gesture of thanks. It's not Miranda's fault after all, she's clearly doing her best.

But this does leave potentially multiple more days of limbo where any interaction between the three of them is going to be filled with the tension of not knowing for sure. Damn. She might have to do something crazy to pass the time.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Paternity Problems]

Well. Rein seems to have killed the conversation. Braon goes quiet. Atya goes quiet. Rein doesn't dare say anything else at this point. It's a long, long, awkwardly silent five minutes. Agony. What he is he supposed to do without his banter? Think about the mess his life is? How busy everything might become? How-

Miranda's announcement of the results almost provides relief. But the results themselves undermine that possibility. Reinholdt knows little of chromosomes or how they work. Something about deciding the color of your hair, he thinks? But he's pretty sure you're supposed to have them. Any concern he has about being or not being the father get thrown out the window pretty quickly.

"Are the children going to be ok?"

Miranda mentioned serious developmental disorder concerns. Though... he supposes maybe if the kids are fine, then he couldn't be the father. Braon likely slept with someone else who isn't a witch cursed long dead race and whose chromosomes do match.

[Lake]

A small mechanical spider-bot approaches the edge of the lake, a sealed envelope being held aloft by two of its legs most precariously. The parchment sways a little as the critter moves. But when it gets to the edge of the water, it stops. It scurries back and forth a bit, as if looking for some magical bridge between the shore and the rowboat. Well this is a conundrum.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Paternity Problems]

Braon stiffens at Rein's question, and from the look on her face makes it clear she has the same concern. Fortunately, Miranda does not.

"If their genes were going to cause a massive problem, they already would be." She begins, giving them a small, reassuring smile. "The kinds of disorders that result from mismatched chromosomes tend to present very, very early in life; prenatally, in most cases. The fact that we have five healthy babies to test at all suggests it's not the problem conventional medical science would expect it to be, for whatever reason."

"...That's lucky." Braon sighs, massaging her forehead again.

"Bit more than luck, I'd say." Miranda looks back up at the trio. "Everything about Miss Hexenborne's pregnancy was already a biological miracle. Having twins is already rare. Triplets, even more so. Quintuplets, nearly unheard of. Last I checked, the odds of that sit at one in several million. And during that time, the medical complications that arose from it were minimal; no preterm labor, no gestational problems at all, not even anemic spells. To be perfectly honest, learning in hindsight that it shouldn't have even been possible isn't actually surprising. I'd say this goes well beyond luck and into divine intervention territory."

"...Actually, that does explain it. Kind of." Braon grimaces. "Adea does bless our kind with... well, fertility. Lady of creation that she is and all of that. I guess she was looking out for me after all. Somehow."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Paternity Problems

Atya is likewise relieved to hear that the children will likely not have any problems- at least problems caused by genetics. After all, their welfare is far more important than anything else in this situation. As long as the five of them are okay...

Wait, five? At once? Did she mention that before? Atya's eyes widen, which makes them look huge behind her glasses. Five kids, with an easy pregnancy and no complications?

What the hell. It's as if the world is conspiring to rub salt in her wounds, and it's done in such a way that even admitting that it feels like that will only make her look terrible.

Keeping a neutrally pleasant expression, she smiles at Braon. "You're a very lucky woman. Adea must be pretty cool."

After a moment, she looks down, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Well, I guess now we just wait. I..." It occurs to her that while they're here, it would be a good opportunity to meet the kids. But there's no way for her to ask about that without coming off as creepy or weird. "...guess it was kind of stupid for me to come here in the first place," she finishes, jamming her hands into her jacket pockets.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Paternity Problems]

"I see. That's good to hear." No problems is better than many problems. At least when it comes to kids. Rein raises an eyebrow as Miranda waxes on that it was probably divine intervention that babies happened. He doesn't even seem surprised to hear there's five of them.

"Is multiple children really that uncommon among other species? You might need to reconsider your data source." That's not Reinholdt's experience at all! But does that mean the data's wrong or he's in some outlier situation? Surely not. He's seen other couples that aren't him have triplets and more with at least mild frequency. The data has to be outdated. Or is that... Outdata'd?

Rein rubs Atya's back, trying to push that negativity away. They're probably due for a long conversation when they get home. Particularly about what Atya truly wants. For now though, Reinholdt glances back at Braon. "Well the extension is disappointing, but I don't think that has to change anything about today. We'll just be meeting the kids solely as your friends instead of anything else. Is that alright?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Rebonack wrote: Apr 04, 2024 10:30 pm [Oh Deer]

On the edge of Glog there's an odd orange encrusting mushroom growing on the underside of a tree branch. It glows like a hot coal and wavers with heat. The mushroom really hasn't done anything odd, aside from sitting there being a mushroom. Behind the scenes it's part of a vast fungal network engaging in the merchant's art of shuttling nutrients from one plant to another for a reasonable commission.

A good job for a mushroom.

But right now, more importantly, it is releasing a little glowing ember of a spore serving as the final shining breadcrumb in a long trail.

And following that trail?

There should be a little funny looking deer.

She'll crest a hill, looking down on the campsite and the lake. All the trees are just beginning to leaf out in their spring greenery. The wildflowers are beginning to burst forth. It's a pleasant, picturesque view of a peaceful, safe place.

A place well protected from forces of violence and corruption.

Maybe a place where the little pudu will be able to find rest for a time.
[Oh Deer]

The little deer gives one last look at the mushroom before slowly heading forward. She is holding herself as if uncertain, or a bit hurt, or both...

She'll wander right into the middle of GLoG if she isn't stopped first. This does look like a nice place, a safe place... But not too well defended. At least outwardly. Still, the fire god led her here, and it did a pretty good job protecting her so far.
Last edited by Murkus on Apr 13, 2024 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Oh Deer]

This place definitely doesn't LOOK well defended, but there's an almost palpable sense of peace that hangs over the valley like a soothing aroma. It presses down with the comfort of a warm blanket and the serenity of a quiet moment at the end of a chaotic day.

Almost as if it would be a terrible sin to commit an act of violence here.

Spring is out in force, succulent emerald leaves popping out on the trees and cheerful wildflowers pushing up for the earth. The remains of winter are spread around, too; dead branches littering the trails.

Engaged in her yearly spring cleaning is Khannie, the purple unicorn armed with a large garden wagon that's trundling behind her hitched by a cord of shadow. She's humming an adventurous tune filled with longing and whimsy that draws the gaze to the horizon as she gathers dead branches to be dried and used for campfires.

One of her ears twitches in the direction of the pudu, soon followed by her gaze. All sorts of wildlife creeps into the camp, drawn by the Frescot kids, but this one is something new.

"Hey there little buddy," the unicorn calls out in a tone typically reserved for cute animals. "You looking for some snacks?"
Last edited by Rebonack on Apr 11, 2024 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[Oh Deer]

A blue humanoid robot looks out over the valley of GLoG from his tree-branch perch atop the hill. He's been tailing the pudu from just alongside the trail, wanting to make sure that she gets to wherever she's going safely. This place looks peaceful enough, but TASBot still wants to get a closer look, plus he's never heard of it before and is feeling curious.

TASBot attempts to safely dismount the branch he's standing on, but that particular piece of wood wasn't ready for six feet of diamond-infused metal moving around on it. Instead, the branch cracks and breaks off of the tree, causing the robot to fall and tumble down the hill.

TASBot's rolling comes to a stop just behind the pudu, where he steadily gets to his feet. He's seemingly unhurt, but quite dirty. The robot stares at the unicorn for a moment, but without a face it's hard to tell where he's looking.

"Hi, pal," TASBot says to the friendly-seeming unicorn while rubbing the back of his head. "Where... are we?"
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Paternity Problems]

Miranda frowns. She definitely touched a nerve there, somewhere; Atya has the look of someone trying very hard to be pleasant after stubbing her toe.

But, whatever she said, it's a little late to withdraw it. Especially since the room's collectively moved on from the subject. She'll just have to be a bit more cautious going forward.

Braon, meanwhile, shakes herself out of a brief deer-in-the-headlights reverie. Right. Of course they still wanted to meet the kids. That's half of why they're here. And even though it's not clear if Rein is their father or not, both he and Atya are very obviously trying to get involved with them.

Which makes it very tempting for Braon to answer with "Some other time, maybe".

But... no. They're going to want to meet them sooner or later. And she can't imagine what's going to be different a year from now that would make this any easier. Nor csn she come up with a solid reason why they shouldn't meet that isn't just her instincts screaming at her.

...Oh. Right. Her instincts.

The fiendling clears her throat awkwardly. "They're all still so small, they're not even going to realize who you a- might be, and it's going to be a bit mad in there anyway, I'm sure you don't want to spend all that time being screamed at..."

Dammit. All she has to do is say "no". That's never been hard for her before.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Paternity Problems

It's always hard to know how many children is normal, especially with interspecies relationships. Atya herself has a twin, and five other siblings besides. But at least those weren't all at the same time.

Although if Reinholdt is the father, well... cats do tend to have litters of several kits at once. That could be an explanation for the quintuplets thing.

Relaxing a little at the feeling of Reinholdt's hand on her back, Atya studies Braon. The poor woman is clearly going through a lot of emotions right now. As difficult as this is on Atya, she's well aware that the entire situation has a much larger effect on the life of Braon and her family. It would be cruel to redirect too much focus away from them. And it's obvious what would be the most helpful thing right now.

Taking Reinholdt's arm, she shakes her head at him slightly. "I don't know about you, but this has been a lot already, and I could really use some fresh air. Why don't we come back later? Plenty of time to meet the kids after the results come in." She smiles crookedly at Braon. Saying no is hard sometimes.

Plus, the cat has been looking distinctly uncomfortable ever since arriving here, so maybe he'll be glad to leave early. She'll have to ask him about that.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Oh Deer]

The pudu freezes when she and the unicorn spot each other. She does a proper little panic hop when TASBot comes crashing down the hill, and nearly bolts again, but the robot's presence actually proves calming. He'd... tried to help, hadn't he?

The pudu loses what little energy she had left from that microburst of adrenaline. She wobbles, falls over, and shifts, becoming a small, slender young woman in close-fitting dark clothes. Her hair is cut very short and tight, and her face is smeared with small symbols in red, blue and white. A tattoo of a thorned '8' - or perhaps the symbol for eternity - covers her cheek and circles her left eye. She retains a pudu's small, pointed antlers - really just nubs - and a deer's ears, even in relative human form.

"Is it safe here?" The young woman rasps, sitting up on one hip with her legs curled close. She looks weak, barely awake. Someone's obviously roughed her up. Her clothes are torn and sliced, and her face is bruised and filthy.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Oh Deer]

The pudu isn't the only one who jumps when a robot suddenly come crashing down the hillside and into the valley.

Though jumping isn't the only thing the unicorn does. Her horn is wreathed in a crown of shimmery midnight blue magic as her shadow's contrast deepens. Though her snap response quickly calms when the tiny deer critter turns into a lady?

A lady who looks like she's been beaten up pretty bad.

Apparently this sorta thing used to happen lots at glog.

Random people who need help stumbling in.

It wasn't always a day care like it is now. Times have changed.

But hey, nothing wrong with helping people who need it, right?

"This is the Good League of Good. Yeah, it's safe here," the unicorn says, giving her head a bob as the glow around her horn envelops a water bottle in her bags and floats it over to the lady with the nubby horns.

Khannie is guessing the robot guy probably doesn't want any water.

"Are you, uh... are you guys hurt? You look like you've been through a bunch,"
Khannie asks. She's use to providing first aid and her trained eyes are searching for any clear signs of serious injury. It looks like the deer lady is just scuffed up and dehydrated, though.
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

[Oh Deer]

The robot steps back when the pudu's form changes, not out of surprise but just to create space.

"Good League of Good? That sounds... good." TASBot says flatly, watching the unicorn float the bottled water through the air. The water reminds him that he needs to ablute himself and wash his clothes, to get rid of the dirt and mud and not-quite-dried blood.

"It's a long story, but I can make it quick. Five-on-one, some big guys closing in on the girl. I didn''t like it, so I stepped in to even the odds. A fight broke out between me and Riacan, one of their guys - and boy, was it fun - and after that, there was a girl with fire powers, a bear, something about a royal token... but the important part is, the girl managed to make a break for it, I followed in case they caught up with her, and now we're here." TASBot sounds breathless, despite not needing to breathe.

"Can't speak for the girl, but I'm fine. Could use a few wet wipes and a washing machine, though."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Paternity Problems]

"I..." Reinholdt had thought Braon prepared for them meeting the kids today. He thought Braon would relish a little in showing off how cute they were. He thought Atya had wanted to meet them.

He wanted to meet them.

Rein closes his mouth. "Yeah. Yeah, sure. Later. Plenty of time, you're right." Not like he hasn't missed a bunch of their lives already. What's another few days? Better to be sure before being getting involved.

Reinholdt forces a smile and politely nods his head towards Miranda. "Thank you for your assistance in this. You two have my number. Uhh, just call when the results are in." He nods at Braon as well and starts leading Atya out so she can get some fresh air. Normally he'd go out the back door or an adjacent window, but suspects he'd have to answer uncomfortable questions to Miranda or Braon as to why and that would only invariable get back to the wrong people anyways. Sometimes you just have to risk the open approach. Front door it is.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Paternity Problems]

Braon opens her mouth to say something to Rein before he goes, but seems to lose her nerve before she can get the first syllable out. It certainly doesn't help that he sounds like he's already made up his mind about leaving without seeing the kids, much more so than she has.

In a way, that's good news. She doesn't have to worry about taking a firmer stance on the matter.

But, on the other hand...

Before Atya has a chance to follow him out, Braon grabs hold of her arm, as best she can. "Wait."

...Okay, this had better be good. She can't imagine either of them appreciate her being so wishy-washy about this.

"...Look. I'm not at all sure how this is all going to play out." Braon begins, stating the obvious. "I want to take this slow. Really slow. So, maybe it wouldn't be... you know, a good idea to, um..."

She trails off again, releasing Atya's arm.

"...You know, the kids and I normally go out on a walk about this time." She continues, changing tack. "It's not very far; just from the cabin up to the office and back, or something like that, I like to change it up. And... we do tend to bump into people on the way there. Other moms, their kids, couples looking to adopt... you know. The kind of people you see here anyway."

She clears her throat. "...So I'm gonna go home, and we're going to have a nice, normal day, like we always do, okay?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Oh Deer]

The young lady watches as Khannie floats the bottle over. She's seen magic, and she's seen it done by things that didn't look very much like a person, but this still all manages to be rather strange. It doesn't mean she'll refuse the water however. She starts to take slow, deliberate sips, forcing a pace on herself after some hard-earned lessons.

"What the craft-man says is true," the pudu gradually says. She smacks her cracked lips and drinks some more. "I am hunted. I... I can't be here," she starts to wobble to her human feet. Drinks again. "I will put you all in danger. Please, just... something for the pain... some food..."

Khannie can tell that the deer lady's definitely been beat up a little by somebody. She moves as though something in her middle is a bit tender. Other than that, a lot of scuffing - mostly small, superficial wounds. And she's been run near ragged - she's clearly exhausted.

"My name is Sineran," she says. She bows briefly to TASBot and it just about knocks her over. "Thank you for helping me..." She wants to thank the fire-god too, and maybe that little girl for at least delaying things, but... Well, TASBot is the only one here. She longs for the brief energy she was able to sustain during the chase, but her adrenaline reserves are just about dried up.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Oh Deer]

Khannie frowns as the story is recounted.

A frowning unicorn sure is a sight.

Yeah, obviously they've been through a fight. It sounds like the robot guy is a real scrapper but the deer lady sure isn't. If she's getting chased by a buncha goons does that mean she would put Glog at risk?

Eh.

Probably not.

People in trouble have been here before and it didn't ever make anyone unsafe. Khannie is pretty sure Glog can't even BE unsafe.

It's like the Nexus' proverbial eye of the storm.

"Yeah, it's pretty good," Khannie agrees. "This is prolly one of the safest places in the Nexus. Danger isn't allowed here."

There's an undercurrent of absolute certainty in her tone here, surer than the conviction that the sun will rise tomorrow.

"The creeps chasing you won't find you here. Or they won't make any trouble at Glog. Dunno how it would turn out exactly, but not in fighting. If you wanna keep running that's fine but you should probably crash at one of the cabins and at least get a nap in," the unicorn suggests as she unhitches herself from her wagon and begins heading for the infirmary "C'mon, let's get your cuts and stuff disinfected at least."

Thankfully Khannie has some pretty good first-aid training thanks to her Caped Heroics classes.

Being able to provide first aid is, like, THE first thing you learn in that class. Being able to clock villains isn't any helpful if you can't save a civilian that got cut or whatever.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Paternity Problems

Atya can sense the disappointment radiating off Reinholdt. It's not like she can blame him- in fact, she completely understands. But she could also sense that arguing with Braon now would only cause problems down the line.

Which is why she's pleasantly surprised when the fiendling grabs her arm. A normal day, huh? Atya understands the meaning perfectly clear. Making a formal introduction would feel too fast, too forward. But a random meeting in the camp? Well, that's normal.

"Slow is good," she says, smiling at Braon gratefully, "I hope your day is as nice and normal as any other." Then she turns back to follow Reinholdt, following his lead towards the front door of the lab.

"Okay, so we're going to casually run into Braon and her kids and pretend we're just out for a little walk through the camp. It'll be surface level and quick, but it's better than nothing, right?" she murmurs as they walk, studying him to gauge his reaction. Atya can't help but feel like Reinholdt's feelings have been somewhat ignored in favor of the two women, and that's not a trend she wants to continue.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Paternity Problems]

It would be easy to expect Reinholdt to jump on the chance or get at least a little excited. And there's a flicker of that on his face as they make out into the sun, the warm rays lighting his features. But it gets tempered almost immediately and there appears to be a moment or two of struggle instead.

"It feels a little like lying to them," Reinholdt says softly to Atya. Maybe they're too young for it to really matter, but it leaves a little bit of a bad taste in his mouth. His lies are normally so very intentional.

Well now he's stuck in a slow walk, but he can keep an eye on his surroundings much better, so it's better in some ways. Slightly more relaxed as he didn't see any of the bigger troubles around. "But maybe this is all Braon can really handle. Alright then." This wasn't just about the kids. Braon was living in GLoG for a reason and it wasn't just for their daycare services. Reinholdt was familiar with the kind of people who came here on a more permanent basis, having been here for several years himself. Stability was important to the process and this was about as unstable as things got.

"Will you be ok with it?" Reinholdt asks, leading Atya to a longer route around the camp that skirted the close side of the lake. She was struggling pretty bad in there. In retrospect, he supposes they all were.
► SHOW SPOILER
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Paternity Problems

Atya blinks at Reinoldt's issue with the plan. Well, he's not wrong, and it really goes to show how much he cares considering how good he is at lying. She glances up at the sun, enjoying the light on her eyes for a few moments as she considers it.

"It's lying, sure. But parents lie all the time to their kids. Even good parents. Especially good parents sometimes." She exhales in a sort-of laugh. "You know, stuff like 'everything will be okay' and 'we have enough money' and 'it'll make sense when you're older.' I don't think this is a lie that will hurt the kids, I think it's a lie that will help Braon. But it's your call."

Atya doesn't want him to feel guilty about the plan, and of the two of them Reinholdt has more parenting experience. She really doesn't want to be the deciding factor in this.

As their walk takes them around the lake, she looks across the water and sighs. She begins to talk, her voice slow and spacey. "Yeah, I'll be okay. I guess this whole thing is hard for me because I'm both jealous and not. Like, part of me wishes I could be the one to have your children. Part of it is pettiness- why does she get five, and I wasn't even allowed to keep one? But at the same time I know it's a lot harder for her in some ways. She has to raise them, I can just focus on my own life. And I'm the one who gets to be with you. That counts for a lot. So in the end, I don't think I'd trade places, even if I get a little jealous now and then." She blinks and glances up at Reinholdt, as if only now becoming aware of what she's saying.

"Oh, you meant okay with meeting them today. Yeah, don't worry. Not about me, at least." She squeezes his arm. "Will you be okay with it?"
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Paternity Problems]

"Are you already imagining having my kids? You know it's only our fourth date right?" Reinholdt teases Atya a little with a gentle smirk and leans into her a bit. "I am flattered. But Hey. Don't worry about being jealous so much. You'll find a cure for yourself soon. You're too smart not to. And then maybe you and me..." Reinholdt trails off, looking away with a blush and a shrug as if he could play it off now. "Just consider it an added incentive."

He smiles a bit. "Or we could always adopt one of the runts around here. I've heard tale of a particularly stubborn star child around if Reina's to be believed. Whatever that's supposed to mean." Particularly good at math perhaps?

"Yeah... yeah. I think it'd be worse to just leave now anyways." That'd wreck Braon's emotions to be sure. "Should have done this at Thanksmas, I could have pretended I was Santa Claws." Reinholdt takes a slow breath.
► SHOW SPOILER
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

[Oh Deer]

TASBot's been called a lot of things, but 'craft-man' is a new one. He kind of digs it, though. It makes him sound... duistinguished, almost.

The robot returns Sineran's bow with a polite nod. "Don't mention it, Sineran. I was just doing what anyone else would've. I'm TASBot, by the way."

TASBot is intrigued to learn that this place is a kind of safe zone. Danger is fun and all, but even he understands the importance of a place where one can get away from excitement.

TASBot will move to follow Khannie to the infirmary, for a couple reasons; he doesn't yet know how to provide first aid and is curious to learn, he wants to know more about GLoG, and he hasn't yet realised that there's no real reason for him to stay now that the pudu-lady is in a safe place.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Paternity Problems

Atya sticks her tongue out at Reinholdt's smirk. "I don't mean anytime soon, dummy. Maybe one day, if I'm able to cure myself and you stay on my good side that long." She leans her head on his shoulder, partially to hide her own blush.

Of course, Reinholdt is significantly more confident than she is that a cure will actually be found. Now doesn't seem like the time to tell him that her research has been dead ending so far. But that's a problem for another day. One step at a time.

"I've thought about adoption. But all the same arguments I made back at the charity dinner apply here- right now my life is too dangerous to bring anyone else in." Not that she won't think about it more though. And it's nice to know he is too.

She nods at Reinholdt's confirmation. "I think you're making the right choice. You know, all this is going to feel very silly if it ends up that you're not the father." It's a little like a very emotionally charged Schrodinger's cat situation.

Since they are staying, Atya will keep an eye out for Braon. Thanks to her glasses, that shouldn't be too hard. She should really wear these more often.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Paternity Problems]

Atya and Rein will hear Braon well before they see her. Although it might take a while to realize it's her. The fiendling's approach will be heralded by a series of patterned chirps and whistles, which steadily get louder as she gets closer. Eventually she'll come into view, walking calmly up the trail, followed by a set of five wooden ducks; the sources of all the commotion. Each of the ducks has a hole carved into its back, in which sits one of five young toddlers, each no more than about a year and a half old.

The one closest to Braon, furthest up front, bears the most striking resemblance. Apart from the tiny, stubby horns growing out of his forehead, he also seems to have inherited his mother's thick brunette hair and violet-tinted eyes, and a little of her prominent cheekbones can still be seen in his, despite the remaining baby fat.

The second two waddling cradles contain a pair of girls; the one further up staring over the edge of her cradle with watery blue eyes peeking through wavy, violet-black bangs; meanwhile, her blonde sister has apparently already figured out how to wave and immediately does so on seeing Rein and Atya, giggling with pride at her cleverness.

The last two cradles contain a pair of identical boys, who seem to be more interested in each other than in anyone around them. They're sitting completely upright, staring at one another with identical sets of ruby, slit-pupiled eyes, which would probably be a bit unnerving if not for their much more lighthearted surroundings. Both of them are dark-haired, but by some genetic quirk, differ slightly in color; the one closer to the front has more of a bluish tint to his hair, while his brother more of a red-brown. The two briefly break their apparent staring contest to simultaneously look over at Rein, with identical blank expressions.

"Oh, hey, you guys are still here." Braon greets, coming to a stop, her cradles doing the same behind her.

...Shit. What's she supposed to say now? It feels weird greeting them again, since it's been like ten minutes. But she should probably say something else before introducing them, or at least give the couple a chance to respond themsel-

She doesn't get a chance to finish that thought, as moments after coming to a halt, the less outgoing of her two daughters starts bawling, immediately demanding her attention.

"Oh, Niamh..." Braon sighs, scooping the girl up in her arms. "It's okay, it's okay, mummy's got you..."
Last edited by Ironsmith on Apr 22, 2024 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Morty wrote: Apr 05, 2024 3:22 pm [Birds and Babs- Treasure Hunt]

The twins' response is pretty predictable.

"We wanna play some more!"

"Yeah! We've never played with a real wolf cub before!"
[Birds and Babs- Treasure Hunt]

Kestrel beams. "Alright! So, wanna dig some more? Play fetch? Chase him around? He'll need the exercise after all these treats." She asks, nudging the little cub forwards towards the twins. Regardless, she was sure it'd be adorable to watch.
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.