Outside: Grass touch place

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Sliibee
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Sliibee »

Keeper wrote: Aug 18, 2022 2:48 pm Mountain Lake

"Oh. So by her parents, you meant the brownies." Frankly adopting a girl and then turning her into a kaiju seems kind of abusive but again, if she's happy enough maybe it's just their culture...

Krayger gives Otto a good stare at the explanation. He's not entirely keen on the idea of him being effectively unconscious for what could be days with this man, but the possibility of the mixies ripping out his coat or growing fungal infections on him is enough to convince him to submit to it. Luckily he isn't really bothered by modesty and the need to strip into his boxers. Dumping in several bottles of soap and lathering it is simple enough. Stepping into the cold water is also simple enough. But cold.
Otto needs Krayger alive for this to work so he's confident that he'll do something if Krayger starts to get dehydrated or something. He just hopes that maybe something good can come of this, and he won't wake up in a research lab somewhere covered in fungus.
"Okay, hit me." he grumbles.
Mountain Lake

When Krayger tries to dunk into the lake, he finds himself standing on its surface and only slowly beginning to sink inside, a phenomenon that didn't occur while pouring out the dish soap or stirring it up into a lather with his hands. It appears the laws for time dilation are strange indeed, "Now, you will not experience any increased acceleration of your bodily needs, for you a number of seconds or minutes will pass, accompanied by bright, flashing lights as the sun and moon very quickly chase each other around the sky. Also the mixies leaving your body will be quite bright. It may be advisable to close your eyes, or at the very least squint." And then without further warning, Otto will activate the device and the whole world will blur. The sun sets and rises several times as Krayger falls into the lake and a cloud of lights shower out from his body from his hooves upwards and whirl energetically around him and Professor Maddeck...

Who at some point very early in the time he had while Krayger's frame of reference was sped up, shaved the entire goat. Now he's busying himself about at ludicrous speed, preparing food, cobbling together scraps from his truck, and even sleeping an entire night in just seconds. And this continues until the third night when he waits impatiently for moonrise.

He looks consideringly at Krayger for what must be an entire hour before sighing and twiddling a knob on the device's array, moving Krayger back to nearly normal speed, but still slower than Otto by a significant margin, "I supopose you're wondering why I've bothered unfreezing you, but it just isn't the same without someone to monologue to. This is apparently especially true while watching someone exist as a floating statue for several days, and for all of your gullibility you were a remarkable conversationalist in the short time we knew each other. So I suppose, if you will indulge me and not do anything so stupid as summoning your rather threatening hammer, I could tell you my nefarious plan?" He still holds two fingers to the knob, ready to attempt to freeze Krayger again if he tries anything.
I'm only here for the cabaret
Avatar by Soushiyo (Artist does NSFW material)

Tags:
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Mountain Lake

Krayger provides a long-suffering groan and nothing more.
"Sure, why not?" he says with a shrug.
He's not sure what the shaved goat is for. Sure Otto clearly lied about what he needed it for but that doesn't actually get him started on what he specifically needed a pile of goat hair for.
Sliibee

Post by Sliibee »

Keeper wrote: Aug 18, 2022 3:18 pm Mountain Lake

Krayger provides a long-suffering groan and nothing more.
"Sure, why not?" he says with a shrug.
He's not sure what the shaved goat is for. Sure Otto clearly lied about what he needed it for but that doesn't actually get him started on what he specifically needed a pile of goat hair for.
Mountain Lake

Otto's face lights up with glee, "Excellent! You know in the future, the opponents of Mad Science have a rather awful habit of never allowing a good chat before destroying our labs, roughing up our hench-interns, and carting us off to the nearest psychiatric facility. Ah, but I digress. Here I go longing for the simpler times of three days ago, when I was pretending to be nothing more than a humble researcher into an extinct species. Of course, I am that as well. But how better to research the most interesting tranmological feywild phenomenon lost to the ages than to benefit from their presence yourself! I thought that I would have to steal them from you by much more invasive means, but as it turned out, you were too short-sighted to want their presence in any case!" He laughs, at first chuckling but then breaking out into a maniacal cackle. Which, given his very fast pace compared to Krayger, sounds like a lightning chipmunk trapped in a helium chamber.

"All that was left to me was to convince you to not kill the helpful little menaces and guide you towards the conclusion you'd already reached! And, of course, contracting lycanthropy before I came back to this time period and finding a suitable snack for the first time I let the Wolf out." He casts a glance to the goat tied down to a peg, "I have heard the first change can be quite gruesome, and we are only minutes away from moonrise. You may wish to close your eyes if you are at all squeamish."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mountain Lake

Krayger stares at him without even a hint of comprehension.
"Okay...but what's helpful about them? I mean if they come off in the bath they were going to come off of me anyway. It sounds a lot like this nefarious scheme is literally what we were going to do under your 'guise' but with more evil laughter and one less living goat.

Besides, what are they going to do in the morning when you stop being furry?"

Hm. Otto hasn't wolfed out yet? Krayger hopes he timed this correctly. Lycanthropy has a thirty day incubation period, so Otto would have needed to account for that. It would be rather unfortunate if the curse was still incubating and he was left here awkwardly waiting. Or if he got one of those weird curses where the animal isn't necessarily the same. That could result in him being a non-furry animal, also awkward.
...look, Krayger is a mercenary but when there's a non-zero chance you might get bitten and mistaken for your boss' fluffy mount you do your research into how these things work.
Sliibee

Post by Sliibee »

Keeper wrote: Aug 18, 2022 3:40 pm Mountain Lake

Krayger stares at him without even a hint of comprehension.
"Okay...but what's helpful about them? I mean if they come off in the bath they were going to come off of me anyway. It sounds a lot like this nefarious scheme is literally what we were going to do under your 'guise' but with more evil laughter and one less living goat.

Besides, what are they going to do in the morning when you stop being furry?"

Hm. Otto hasn't wolfed out yet? Krayger hopes he timed this correctly. Lycanthropy has a thirty day incubation period, so Otto would have needed to account for that. It would be rather unfortunate if the curse was still incubating and he was left here awkwardly waiting. Or if he got one of those weird curses where the animal isn't necessarily the same. That could result in him being a non-furry animal, also awkward.
...look, Krayger is a mercenary but when there's a non-zero chance you might get bitten and mistaken for your boss' fluffy mount you do your research into how these things work.
Mountain Lake

"I'm glad you asked! Once rooted onto a body, the mixies can make small oxygenators and hydrophobic coatings to their civilization that keep water and other contaminants from the skin where they lodge! It's only in the very earliest stages of their civilization that they need evacuate in the event of a flood. The soap also lowered the surface tension significantly, allowing the water to penetrate deeply enough into your fur to threaten their settlement and force their hands. Simply going for a dip, once they've properly applied themselves, will be of no consequence to them. As for losing my soon-to-be-luxurious coat, I'm afraid that is not an option either. There is only one case of mixie-infestation in a lycanthropic individual on record, and she was cursed with eternalized fur, whether in anthropomorphic form or otherwise. Quite impenetrable to even the sturdiest clippers. In fact, the sample of the curse I used was cloned from samples taken studying her original case. I've theorized it may make the mixies prefer lodging on me even further."

"I take it from your response that you have no intentions of stopping me, then? You have been a rather reasonable sort, compared to the mercenaries I am used to dealing with in the pursuit of SCIENCE." Another lightning bolt, this one coming down at a much more normal speed relative to Krayger, punctuates the sentence.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mountain Lake

Krayger continues to be rather confused about the whole thing.
"Stop you? Why? I have yet to hear a single possible benefit to me keeping them. Why would I want a bunch of magic microbes under my skin? That could do mystical crap to my coat? No, thanks. I'm good. If you don't mind I think they've already come off while you had me marinating though, so could I get out now? The water's cold." Krayger gestures to a nearby rock in the water he'd much rather be sitting on.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Shadowcaller wrote: Aug 18, 2022 12:26 pm[Sky Library]

Geun don't need clarification to which question Benedict said no to. He recognized that look in his eyes.
He knew of dragons.

"Yes, while the imperial propaganda tells us that the divine dragons are benevolent and kind few have actually seen one up close. It's nothing like being near a statue of one, let me tell you that." He seems to be choosing his words carefully here. "But then you understand the situation which makes things easier for both of us." He gestures out towards the city of shelves around them.

"All of this is her hoard so try to treat it accordingly. Everything in here serves as her eyes and ears." He explains as a small flock of paper birds fly by. "That said, we are allowed to read and copy the books so the occult section was it? Any particular flavor of occultism? There's aetherology, rituals, eldritch phenomena, unknown mysteries..."
"The dragons I am familiar with are a vastly different sort of beast. I mean, well, the entities my homeland calls 'dragons' are ravening destroyers nesting in the mountains, creatures whose hoards- though famed for their wealth- in practice rarely exceed more than a pile of scorched bones and occasionally a kraken pearl. Not that it stops the occasional madman or desperate knight from trying to kill one to claim its treasure. My wife's homeland lacks even those, though in her case I think that is perhaps a blessing." Dragons do in fact exist in the Cosmere, but none are known on Scadrial. "I believe I mentioned that I am already quite well-read in that subject, and that I am looking for books on diabolism and demonology? My grandfather dabbled in things he shouldn't have, and I would like to ensure he does not pose a further threat, rather than leaving him bound and captive. I am looking to craft a legacy, you see, and all bindings eventually fail." Nothing like trying to end the threat to the world's habitability in your garden than the desire to have children and grandchildren when before you were the last of a dying house and all that was needed was making sure he didn't break free in the next five years.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Sky Library]

"Those sound more like the 'false' dragons that ruled many of regions outside the empire back in the old days." Geun comments but doesn't linger on the subject. "But demonology? Now that's a subject I know nothing about and diabolism is a word I haven't even heard of. I suppose you'd find demonology under rituals. Or perhaps aetherology. Since it's the same theory as with any occultist summoning, correct? You make contact with a being and make a deal which is to your benefit. Since that would be under rituals."

[A Sleepless Night]

"So you must have learned of these places from other 'planeswalkers' if you intended to visit a specific one, correct? Except for the first of course." Ambrosia looks down at the ground for a moment as she taps her chin. "Hold on, how did you learn of this ability exactly? Since there couldn't have been anyone teaching you it considering its rarity."
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[A Sleepless Night]

"Not exactly. It's possible to take a blind walk, though certainly the greater uncertainty means greater risk." Utayo explains. "The first walk is usually induced by some event. We call it 'sparking'. The result is being thrown in a random direction, showing up somewhere unfamiliar, and having to cope with that while processing this new ability you've become aware of. It's certainly not ideal."
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[A Sleepless Night]

"Ah... do you mind telling me about your 'sparking'? Since I assume it was as confusing as it sounds. Or was that when...?" Ambrosia eyes the moonfolks legs. Leaving the rest unsaid.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[A Sleepless Night]

Utayo considers for a moment, but then shakes her head. "I'd prefer not to. I apologize if it appears I'm withholding my trust, but it's something I prefer to keep that to myself. That said, no, my injury happened almost a year after that."
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[A Sleepless Night]

Ambrosia nods. "It's alright. I of anyone should understand the desire to keep things private. Still, I admit it's something I'd like to experience even as scary as it must have been. To suddenly be in a new world... well, that's the reason I'm here in the first place. Even if i occasionally go home for errands."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[A Sleepless Night]

"It's an experience like no other... though I prefer the more controlled variety." Utayo chuckles lightly. "I'm a planner by nature, and I do my best to mitigate surprises."
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[A Sleepless Night]

Ambrosia smiles. "Might explain why you've only been to three planes so far. I would probably have visited far more. But I suppose I'm more of a traveler at heart. I find it hard not to be when you're able to fly. I wouldn't say that I'm impulsive but perhaps I don't take as many precautions as you do." A beat. "...which was probably why I was in that situation when we met."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[A Sleepless Night]

Utayo smiles with a touch of amusement. "I can fly too, I'll remind you. It's not as though I haven't taken my own risks." Her eyes flit down very briefly to her legs. "There's no room for accomplishment without some level of risk."
~Images by Soushiyo
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Shadowcaller wrote: Aug 18, 2022 9:46 pm [Sky Library]

"Those sound more like the 'false' dragons that ruled many of regions outside the empire back in the old days." Geun comments but doesn't linger on the subject. "But demonology? Now that's a subject I know nothing about and diabolism is a word I haven't even heard of. I suppose you'd find demonology under rituals. Or perhaps aetherology. Since it's the same theory as with any occultist summoning, correct? You make contact with a being and make a deal which is to your benefit. Since that would be under rituals."
"They were the only dragons in Europe. Here, things are more civilised, and the dragons are often far smarter and consequently more dangerous. It is dismissing and banishing I most seek, rather than summoning. My grandfather summoned a fiend into himself, and to stop him from causing widespread havoc and devastation, my father sealed him into a tomb over a century ago. I wish to reverse the summoning, not summon more." Indeed, more might be summoned anyway if the banishment doesn't work properly. "Diabolism differs in that the entities you are making deals with endeavour to make a deal to your detriment, not your benefit. My grandfather received eternal life. He also lost all bodily autonomy and self-will. I could, perhaps, kill my grandfather. That would negate the contract as the devil inhabiting him would be proven unable to keep its end of the bargain. The issue is he does not age, nor eat, and regeneration is not out of the question either." Regardless, Benedict will head over towards the section on rituals and aetherology, followed by his wife.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Sliibee

Post by Sliibee »

Keeper wrote: Aug 18, 2022 4:00 pm Mountain Lake

Krayger continues to be rather confused about the whole thing.
"Stop you? Why? I have yet to hear a single possible benefit to me keeping them. Why would I want a bunch of magic microbes under my skin? That could do mystical crap to my coat? No, thanks. I'm good. If you don't mind I think they've already come off while you had me marinating though, so could I get out now? The water's cold." Krayger gestures to a nearby rock in the water he'd much rather be sitting on.
Mountain Lake

"Oh generally the sane and sensible authorities show up and destroy all hope of me completing my experiments, as allowing such powers to enter the grasp of a clear madman would, in the eyes of society, be a bad thing. In their absence, I had thought you might serve as both entertaining conversation and opposition. I had prepared many countermeasures of course. It almost seems a shame they won't see any use. A moment." Otto twiddles a knob, and the world blurs again for a moment before Krayger is fully back in phase with real time, "There, I had to ensure any additional stragglers had time to flee. And nowwwwrrr." Ah, and of course the time has come. A painful gurgling builds in Otto's throat as vocal cords shift and bunch, a thick coat of silver, wild fur flying out from his skin in a wave running from his head down beneath his clothes.

New, blunted black claws tear at the clothing and snag, tearing holes as he howls for freedom and easement from this painful metamorphosis. He manages to remove his lab coat and the sweater beneath before collapsing to the ground with a number of sickening snaps, bones reshaping and muscles tearing and reknitting until... he lies there panting, swarmed by a whirling cloud of soft pastel lights.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mountain Lake

Hmm. Well there doesn’t seem to actually BE any benefits to the mixies. They’re just…a rare magic infection. That might involve some cosmetic fairy effects? Krayger can’t figure out why this would be a problem for someone to get.

But…hopefully the transformation should keep him from being coherent and freezing him if he wants to make his way out of the lake and slowly edge his way around the werewolf.

Maybe he can just walk away and nothing actually bad will happen to him…
Sliibee

Post by Sliibee »

Keeper wrote: Aug 21, 2022 1:17 am Mountain Lake

Hmm. Well there doesn’t seem to actually BE any benefits to the mixies. They’re just…a rare magic infection. That might involve some cosmetic fairy effects? Krayger can’t figure out why this would be a problem for someone to get.

But…hopefully the transformation should keep him from being coherent and freezing him if he wants to make his way out of the lake and slowly edge his way around the werewolf.

Maybe he can just walk away and nothing actually bad will happen to him…
Mountain Lake

Krayger certainly has enough time to walk around Otto, or even walk away from the whole odd situation. The wolf-man panting and whimpering on the ground in front of him is in no shape to stop him if he wants to have another chapter in his odd interactions with fey come to a close.

Whether or not anything bad will happen as a result would be left as a mystery for time alone to tell. But the mixies seem to be taking well to their new home.

It may also occur to Krayger that the only information he had on the mixies being a harmless, rare, magical infestation with only cosmetic effects was from Otto himself, back when he was admittedly trying to convince Krayger to be rid of them.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mountain Lake

Actually a different thought occurs to Krayger, who has the extremely foolish notion of speaking it aloud as he passes Otto, trying to find his pants. They are unfortunately close to Otto and the mixies. He hopes his larger target is ignored.
”Wait, how would you have known I was the last mixie colony if no one actually saw me with them beside you, who was from a later point in time?”
The only way that would be known is if someone saw him with them and wrote it down and-

Oh no.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Gullara wrote: Aug 20, 2022 12:05 am [A Sleepless Night]

Utayo smiles with a touch of amusement. "I can fly too, I'll remind you. It's not as though I haven't taken my own risks." Her eyes flit down very briefly to her legs. "There's no room for accomplishment without some level of risk."
[A Sleepless Night]

"Isn't that more like floating?" Ambrosia points with similar mirth. "But what you say is true. Me being here so far from home among beings as powerful as I am is certainly nothing my family would approve of." There was that reference to a family against despite also claiming being the last of her kind?
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[A Sleepless Night]

Utayo considers for a moment what might be an appropriate question to ask. She doesn't want to probe too deeply. "Are you able to return to your home to visit your family? I believe you said it was possible to travel between the two planes."
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[A Sleepless Night]

Ambrosia nods. "Yes, I don't think I would actually be here if it was a one way trip. I'm curious but not that curious. This is an extended research trip and I'm not expected to be home again for at least a months if not years. Of course, they don't know that I'm on a different plane." She raises an eyebrow as a question occurs to her. "Does your family know?"
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[A Sleepless Night]

Utayo nods. "Just my husband. It'd be difficult for most people to understand, so I've seen no reason to explain otherwise. Given I live my own life, it's not as though I need to explain the fine details of my research trips. It's quite different with a spouse, however. Not that it was easier for him to understand, but he needed to be told."
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[A Sleepless Night]

"Yes, I do recognize the need to keep some things a secret. Even to the people closest to you." A beat. "...which I suppose alludes to my situation a bit. I'm not going to go into details but it's complicated as this sort of things usually are." She was afraid she would have to tell the VIGIL commanders more about it soon enough...
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[A Sleepless Night]

Utayo nods. "I understand." She looks away for a moment, and then pushes off her knees and onto her feet. "It's been pleasant talking with you, but I should try to get some rest. If not just for my sake." She cradles her belly again.
~Images by Soushiyo
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Shady Hollow]

It's a reassuring thing, watching that blasphemy against all that is good and holy crackling and curling and blackening. Awful vermin try to escape their burning hive, but they pop in little greasy fireballs as the flames devour them.

There is no escape.

Not for them.

Not today.

This is probably good for the villagers, too. The fewer seething hives of pestilence and corruption there are the better.

And for Changer?

The way to the spooky castle is open.

As he walks (floats?) closer he'll notice some odd things.

Fissures have been rent into the earth, poisonous electric blue flames crackling with aberrant life dancing in the rifts. The fire doesn't reduce matter to ashes, but rather glowing blue goop. Several insectile zombies have been dumped into a heap, reduced to sagging blue slime. In the distance there comes a horrible keening sound, as if reality itself were screaming, as a blazing blue beam of raw aether scythes across the sky to liquefy a flight of fly winged undead.

It looks like there's a battle of some sort going on behind the small hill obscuring Changer's view. He could try to figure out what's going on here, or maybe sneak past lest he get drawn into a wider conflict. Whatever it is that's blasting the zombies clearly doesn't like them, but that doesn't mean it is friendly.
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[Shady Hollow]

"Ergh. I should get going." Changer hates fire. It's warm (which nearly all robots dislike) and comforting (which Changer specifically dislikes). So, he doesn't linger around the fire and instead hurries towards the castle...

...where he finds more fire. This time it's blue, which is not reassuring. That is, until Changer remembers that blue fire is typically man made, and blue fire that does that to zombies is definitely unnatural.

The blast of aether is even more convincing. "Isn't that the stuff Ike from Super Smash Bros uses?" Speaking of videogames, as a support class he feels obligated to help out whoever is fighting the zombies down there. First, though, Changer will get to the top of the hill and get a better look at the raging battle.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Magtok
Pointy Eared Baby Devourer

Post by Magtok »

Tower of Oujet
► SHOW SPOILER
"Anika! Pull back! Move ten steps back, right now!" she calls out, before gritting her teeth and slicing into a swarm of stupid tentacles. Blood, blood, blood, why's it always gotta be blood?! Corrupt, useless, disgusting pillars of blood, but no human flesh, never any ethically-sourced, guilt-free supply of human tissue. Vampires have it so good, dammit. The most spoiled and ungrateful form of undead out there, with all the blatant favoritism and superpowers and noble grace they have going. Imagine considering yourself an ugly, horrible monster when all you have to do is wink at a girl and that's your entire week's meals accounted for. Stupid, stupid vampires...Saint Lazarus does her best to project her contempt and ency for them onto the seal, swinging harder and faster with a raw, hot-blooded fury that wasn't there moments ago.
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Tower of Oujet]

Back?! But she was doing so well going forward-
Then Anika realizes, she had blinded herself and the it seal was doing an area thingy! All tanks worst nightmare!

Like a black bear encountering a far too cocky housecat she leaps backwards, lands on the ground and then tries to roll out of the way of whatever was happening.

It might not be the most dignified retreat but she sure was getting out of there.