Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

Post by Keeper »

Mountainside

Kol slides down onto his bottom, laying the spear against the wall and picking up a can.
"Well, I say we break out those blankets and take a breather. My legs are absolutely killing me." Don't think about that too much. It doesn't mean anything they've just been walking for a while.
"You got a can opener?" he asks, though then he just shoves a claw into the can, wincing as it goes right through the metal.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Mountainside
Mary nods. "Mine too. It's been a long day." She lays out some blankets and sits down on them, opening up a can of her own. "Peaches?" she asks, offering some to Kol.
None of the food is very good, but it is food, and after their long day of adventuring (it has been quite some time since their incomplete lunch), they're no doubt very hungry.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mountainside

"Yeah, sure." Kol replies, trading his can of pork.
It's not much, but it's something. Kol tries not to dwell too much on what the lantern's light shows them.
"For the record, the scales look cute on you." he says, maybe blushing. Hard to tell now.
He stuffs his face with food immediately before he can be asked to follow that up.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Mountainside
Mary is just taking a bite of the canned pork when Kol speaks up. Her eyes go wide and she chokes down her mouthful and struggles for a response. Isn't this what romance class is for? What is she supposed to say? "Thanks," if the scales weren't hiding it, she would definitely be blushing intensely. "You look good too. I like the horns." Wait, was that too forward of her? Also, Kol's not supposed to have horns! She nearly chokes again trying to not look aghast at her self-perceived rudeness.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mountainside

Kol’s hands drift up to his horns, which are fairly large and impressive. He gives probably his fiftieth groan of the day.
”Well, thank you. I guess we should just accept that we’ll have tails by morning. If we ever get rescued we’ll still probably spend the rest of our lives chomping sheep and being chased by knights.”
Of course Kol would find a way to make being a near immortal mythical creature annoying.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Mountainside
Mary glances at the tail she already has. It's thicker and more muscular than it used to be. "Cheer up. I'm sure they can find a way to fix this." She tries to put her arm around Kol in what she hopes is a comforting manner. "And it's not all bad, right?" Her words ring hollow. She's frightened too, but she's trying to put on a brave face. "Maybe we should get some sleep. Then we can find a way off this mountain bright and early tomorrow, right?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mountainside

Kol nods, finishing his meal.
”Alright. Yeah, fair enough. Like I said, worst case scenario we stay long enough to just fly.” that’s kind of nice. One problem will solve another. Maybe.
Kol lays down and blows out the lantern’s flame.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Mountainside
"Good night."
Mary lies down too and wraps herself in one of the blankets. It's hard to tell how rough the fabric is through her scales.
Nervousness keeps her awake for a while, tossing and turning, but finally she succumbs to exhaustion and falls asleep.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mountainside

If dragons are known for anything, third or fourth on the list would be sleeping. They can hibernate for weeks, months, and years, only half-waking to feed on saved food or what was gathered by minions before falling back into a deep slumber. How long do our protagonists slumber? Well frankly it's impossible to tell. Long enough for them to feel quite well rested indeed. Long enough for them to have lazily devoured every scrap of food in the store-room, cans and all. Long enough to have turned every scrap of soft material in the room into a cushy nest and gathered all the tools into a nice little pile in the corner. Long enough to digest all that food and given the disease all the fuel it needs.

The two dragons awake in their cozy little nest of bedrolls and burst clothing. They barely fit in the room but what kind of nest is it if it's not cozy? Surely Mary, who awakens first, could find nothing wrong with the situation of waking up entwined with a purple form.
The lantern, should she need it, is impossibly exactly where she left it.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Elsewhere, while they sleep.
"What do you mean she's gone!?"
"We're doing our best to search for her, and we've narrowed it down to this area of Outside, but we have no leads beyond that."
"I trusted you with my daughter, and you managed to lose her in less than two weeks!?"
"Ma'am, this is relatively normal for our school. She's with another student who's already had some adventures. Odds are, she'll turn up in a day or two having learned something from her trip."
"I can't see how you're so calm about this! If you won't find her, I will, even if I have to tear apart the very bowels of the earth!"
"Ma'am?.. She's gone." The school official sighs and picks up his phone. "Inform the search party that there's a very angry demon queen coming and they should stay out of her way if they don't have good news for her."

Mountainside
Groggily, Mary awakens. She had the strangest dream - that she was eating bugs that tasted like blood but then burst into delicious food when she bit down on them. She feels strange. What is this smooth, warm thing pressed against her? She opens her eyes and yawns. Flames flickering in the back of her maw briefly illuminate the chamber, but not for long enough to get a good look at what's going on. She reaches up with a claw to the lantern and tugs it closer to her face so she can light it with a small puff of fire breath. Then realization starts to set in as she observes the torn clothes and blankets she was sleeping on and the purple creature she's apparently cuddled with. "Kol? Kol!"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mountainside

A large purple head rises next to Mary's. Its horns gleam in the lantern's light, which also reveals a blunt muzzle and piercing eyes. Somehow Mary might feel it's exactly what Kol would look like as a dragon (and possibly more things besides).
"Huh wha? What happened? Did we die?" Kol burbles groggily.
If Mary tries to get up she might find his tail curled around hers.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Mountainside
Mary gulps. If that's Kol, then she's... And is it her imagination, or does he make a very dashing dragon?
From his point of view, the person speaking is a slim, lithe dragon, with black scales that glimmer like they're aflame in the lantern light. Her eyes, like embers in the dark, show genuine concern. "No?" Why would they be dead? "Kol, we're dragons. We have to find a mirror!" For better or for worse, Mary really wants to see what she looks like. "Let go of my tail!" She doesn't want to confront the implications of them sleeping curled up together like that right now, so she does her best to ignore it.
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[A Curious Canine Conundrum]

"Yes, indeed. She's a reliable employee," the large goblin says in a grandiose tone. Krivka's daughter grins toothily. Those are some big teeth, alright. Until now, all the goblins Kestrel has spoken to kept their teeth behind their lips, but this expression bares them. "Ah, but where are my manners? My name is Malzog Murkstone, the overseer of this here pen."

"Vulp took quite the shine to her. Bonded with her, even." Krivka gets to the point. "See how he stays near her?"

"True. That's... unusual."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mountainside

What implications? Totally normal friendly dragon cuddling. It's very cute, Mary.
Kol blinks himself awake and hauls himself to his (four) feet. It's difficult as they can barely fit in the chamber both standing.
"Where are we going to find a mirror? And- oh gods." he looks around and about and realizes how many feet are on the ground, looking back at alllll of him.
"Mary. Um. How big would you say this room seemed when we got here?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Mountainside
"Not this... Oh my." She looks back at herself and comes to the same conclusion as Kol. She's huge! "How do I even walk, I have four legs!?" Undoubtedly she's overthinking it. If she can still talk with a dragon's mouth and vocal cords, she can probably still walk with a dragon's legs. "Kol, what do we do? I don't know if I want to be a dragon!" It feels normal, nice even, and she doesn't like that.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mountainside

"Well. Um. It's a little late for that, Mary. You are one. If it means anything, the look suits you. Whereas I think I'm about the size of a rhino." Kol sits down. He stops, looking about their scattered belongings.
"Um. Mary. Did we ever...call for help? Like, with our phones?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Mountainside
Again with the complements! If Mary could blush, she would. "No, you look good too. You're big, but in a strong way." She doesn't want Kol to feel bad about how he looks.
"I don't have one," Mary responds. She's embarrassed by this fact. Almost everyone at school has phones except her. "Do you?" They could have entirely avoided this predicament (except for the turning into dragons bit) if he does. "Can we get out of here? I'm feeling a little cramped." They could both use a little more breathing room.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Firstborn Ship]
bc56 wrote: Sep 13, 2022 4:11 pm Going! Sekhmet jumps off the ship and flies straight for a window.
Assuming there is glass in it, this is going to hurt.
Sekhmet makes it out the window with the crash of shattering glass.
Yeah, this hurts.
And it makes her really obvious to the firstborn looking around. On the other hand, they largely can't fly.
It looks like she can make an escape. Though it feels like she's still being watched, somehow.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Recaiden wrote: Sep 16, 2022 3:13 pm [Firstborn Ship]

Sekhmet makes it out the window with the crash of shattering glass.
Yeah, this hurts.
And it makes her really obvious to the firstborn looking around. On the other hand, they largely can't fly.
It looks like she can make an escape. Though it feels like she's still being watched, somehow.
Sekhmet hates feeling like she's being watched. Is it any wonder that she makes such an awkward queen?
She moves quickly, trying to break line of sight with the warehouse and get behind another building. Any other ideas? Do you know if they're following me? She really wants to know if she's just imagining being watched or if they're actually watching, but she doesn't think the Hive would know.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mountainside

Kol is actually a perfectly average size member of his species. Dragons are just big.
"Well yeah, of course I have one." Isn't Mary's mom a queen or something? She can't give her daughter something so simple? Lame. And in this case, actually unhelpful.
Kol sniffles around the remains of his outfit and manages to slide his wallet and phone out of his pockets.
He then stares down at it and his giant paws.
"Um. This might be a problem. Your claws are more delicate can you try it?" Does Mary even know how?
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Mountainside
It's not that she can't, but rather that she doesn't feel the need to. She survived just fine without a phone, so Mary should be able to as well. Mary is, as a result, only vaguely aware of how phones work. "What do I do, exactly?" Mary taps at the phone with her talons, trying not to damage it with her claws.
She thinks for a moment. "Wait, I can call for my mum. But I'm only supposed to do it if it's a really big emergency... And I'm not sure I remember what I'm supposed to say correctly." Does this qualify? While they're certainly in trouble, they aren't in danger. If anything, their new state of being makes them much safer in this unfamiliar wilderness than they would have been otherwise.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mountainside

"Well you click the green symbol and then we punch in the number for the school." Which might be difficult to do on a touch screen with talons.
"Mary. We are stranded in the middle of literal gods-only-know-where on a flying mountain and a magic plague turned us into mystical lizards. I think that qualifies as an emergency." Kol says very gently. But bluntly.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Mountainside
Mary fumbles with the phone for a few moments more, then gives up. "Okay..." she takes a deep breath and then speaks. With each syllable, a little flaming glyph emerges from her mouth and hangs in midair. Her spine, and probably Kol's too, tingles. Powerful, ancient magics are being invoked. "Sakiril-Ess, Toktr Etsa Korrel, Etsa Myn-Erl, Nolvilik Kendek, Resyr Lotaka, Okaril-Ess, Keyra Dogetal, Etsa Sukkubei, Rel Ysm, Strel Hof, Lumsa Okarr!"

Elsewhere
Sekhmet's head snaps up. Someone is calling for her. And she knows that voice. "Mary! I'm coming!" She tears a portal open and vanishes through it immediately.

Mountainside
A fiery portal is torn open in the already cramped chamber and an imperious succubus emerges. "Mary! Where are..." She can sense her daughter's essence nearby. She sees the dragons and the torn school clothes, and comes to a terrible conclusion. "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY DAUGHTER!" She radiates power and terror, the very image of wrath and fury. These beasts ate her daughter, and if they don't cough her up right now, there will be Hell to pay.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mountainside

Kol has had too long of a week to be phased by the screaming mother. Or maybe it's his new nature encouraging him to be haughty.
"Ma'am, that is your daughter sitting next to me, and unless you want to join us in the giant mythical lizard club you might want to put a mask on or something. We're probably very contagious. Can you make that portal big enough for us?" he tells Sekhmet bluntly.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Mountainside
Sekhmet gawks for a moment at Kol's response, but manages to regain her composure in time for Mary to say her bit. "Hi mum. Sorry for scaring you." Sekhmet then does exactly the opposite of what Kol recommended and embraces Mary, wrapping her arms around her mythical lizard daughter's scaly neck. "Mary, they told me you'd disappeared from school, I was so worried! I'm so glad you're all right." "Mum, I'm a dragon." "That's okay, so long as you're happy and don't break the furniture." "That's not what I meant at all!" It doesn't seem like the portal will be widened anytime soon.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mountainside

"Um. You wouldn't happen to have a doctor on staff, would you Ma'am?" Kol asks. Mostly for her sake. The school has one of course, which should be more than enough to help them. After all they identified the disease in the first place, right?
Even if whatever they did didn't actually help Mary...
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Mountainside
"Mum, we got sick and turned into dragons." "What? That's strange. I, uh, don't have a doctor available right now. There's a group from the school looking for you. We can, uh, see if they've got someone." She widens the portal, and after a very brief jaunt through hell (only a couple feet, but the warmth feels wonderful on the dragons' scales), they emerge amidst a small camp of search and rescue workers and school faculty. "I've found them. Do you have a doctor who can look them over?" "Mum, we might be contagious. They should probably look at you too." "Mary, once you're safe, then you can worry about me."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Mountainside->PREP field hospital

The two dragons are quickly funneled to a medical tent where a doctor in a cape(?) takes their temperatures (exceptionally hot: good, good.)
"All right, and now we'll bring in Dragon Tamer Carla to relax your muscles so we can get a blood sample."
Kol tilts his head at the doctor and the women next to him (also in a cape for some reason?)
"Uh. I'm a person? I don't really need taming. I'm not scared of needles if that's what you-"
"boop." says Carla as she pokes Kol on the nose.
Kol immediately rolls over onto his side with his legs curled up. Carla smiles and jabs a syringe into what would probably be called his armpit if they were still arms.
"Yes, but if your muscles were tense I'd need to go get a magic knife and that would sting a lot more. Don't you feel better now?"
About half an hour later of various tests later they get the results:
"Congratulations! You're both very healthy dragons. Somehow. Dragon cough doesn't actually...do that. The parasites just live in your lungs producing fire for a while."
"Wait, parasites?"
"Indeed! Your Dragon cough was produced by microscopic dragons in your bloodstream! Operative word 'was.' Somehow you absorbed them. Which means you're cleared health-wise. And ah. Congratulations on your near-immortality. I've already put in the request to get you transferred to the dragon dorms, Master Kunani. You, my dear, should presumably just shapeshift back based on what your mother told us of your abilities on your application."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

PREP Field Hospital
Mary is similarly booped and tested. She doesn't actually know how to shapeshift (Sekhmet told her she'd teach her that when she was older), but she has another concern first. "Is there anything that can be done? For Kol, I mean." Sekhmet, however, interrupts this line of questioning. "I can show you how to change back now, Mary. And young sir? I'd like to have a word with you, if you would be so kind," The last bit is directed at Kol.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

PREP Field Hospital

The doctor gives Mary a quizzical look but Sekhmet interrupts him before he can ask what exactly Mary expects them to do to interrupt what is clearly Kol’s protagonist destiny.
Kol bashfully lopes outside the tent for the demon queen.
”Um. Yes…Ma’am?” asks the large purple beast.
Does she and Mary have a last name? Does royalty in general?