MERC

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: MERC

Post by Gullara »

[Little Announcement]

"Well sure, but you're, like, my best friend and they're obviously a huge part of my life. So I'd like you to, you know?" Val looks down at her feet, a bit awkward for a moment. "But okay! I'll run it by Astrana just to make sure that's fine. I can get you the details tomorrow."
~Images by Soushiyo
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

"How does that work, anyways?" Solenoid enquires. "Seems like it would be a little cramped."
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

Little Announcement

Leis blinks, and then her cheeks darken a little. Best friend? "Aww, I didn't realize it was that important to you," she admits, clearly more than a little flattered by the statement. "That sounds lovely, just let me know when you can."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Arkhosia wrote: Aug 09, 2022 3:08 am [Cantie Banties]

Cantata can be found fairly easily in her quarters. Fettina probably knows the way fairly well by now considering she's lived here for quite a while now - although since her relationship with Fettina has intensified, she's really started to live at her wife's place more often than her own.

At present, Cantata is dressed down surprisingly casually in a black tank top and matching trousers. She has a bandage wrapped around her right arm and is sitting at a desk, leaning back in the chair with her feet on the surface. A long knife is in her hand, and she seems to be checking the blade for nicks and rolls before she realizes Fettina is there. The moment she does, her eyes light up, and she puts the knife down and gets up to greet her. "Hey! I didn't realize you were here today!"
[Cantie Banties]

"Well, that's sort of a long story..." Tina begins to explain, stepping through the door and ambling in closer. "But before I forget, Dena wants to put you on a mission. I think it had something to do with evicting some people... from Hell?" Sounds wild. She taps her lip and glances up. "At least I think that was it. How'd you hurt your arm?" She points.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Sparring Area]
Ironsmith wrote: Aug 10, 2022 5:25 pm Septimus starts moving in a circle slowly around Fayyaad, running the lower end of his light-staff against Fayyaad's own weapon, not quite touching it but getting just close enough to trigger a reaction, depending on what it's made of. If Fayyaad's staff is metal, the beam will arc into it as the two approach, sending a nastily large (but decidedly nonlethal) surge of electricity through it... and its holder. If not, there will simply be a trail of smoke billowing up from where the two weapons "touch", along with a small, barely-noticeable-given-the-background patch of black scorch marks appearing on the shaft.

Septimus's next move depends strongly on whether this presents an immediate problem for Fayyaad or not.
Fayyaad's eyes go wider when his staff briefly smolder at the other weapon's tough. He he attempts to pull back and send a warm, but harmless spark at Septimus to test his reactions.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Little Announcement]

"I will!" Valerie agrees. "I guess we better get back to work now, though. I'm guessing we're out of time./color]" They have to be pretty decent judges of the length of their breaks while not watching the time by now, after all...
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Cantie Banties

Cantata tilts her head, clearly rather confused. What was Fettina talking about? That didn't sound like the kind of job Dena would usually put her up to - and besides... "I thought one of our coworkers got fired for doing that?"

"Oh, this?" The empath quirks her eyebrow, gesturing to the bandage around her arm. "I was hired to take out a kobold gang leader over in Skyside. The escape wasn't as flawless as I planned," she admits with a silent and slightly bashful chuckle. "May have gotten shot at."

Little Announcement

"Heh, yeah, probably," Leis agrees, going to double check on her phone. "Well, I think you know how to find me at this point. I'll keep my schedule clear for the weekend til you tell me otherwise~" With that, Leis will head back to her desk with a spring in her step.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Morty wrote: Aug 10, 2022 10:05 pm [Sparring Area]

Fayyaad's eyes go wider when his staff briefly smolder at the other weapon's tough. He he attempts to pull back and send a warm, but harmless spark at Septimus to test his reactions.
[Sparring Area]

Septimus seems to be less-than-bothered by Fayyaad's "attack", and it's not hard to see why; as the spark approaches his skin, there's a flash of light, followed by a puff of smoke where the spark had previously been. Septimus himself doesn't seem to be affected; the spark may as well have simply not existed.

The elf gives Fayyaad a little smirk and begins attacking in earnest, opening the fight proper with a flurry of one-two-three strikes in a metronomic pattern with his staff, aiming to hit Fayyaad along the ribs. If the tiefling blocks it, he might note that Septimus is not especially interested in pressing any given stroke; the second the staves connect (with all the requisite smoke and bad smells), he simply changes direction and attempts a different attack.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Sparring Area]

Fayyaad doesn't seem content to block Septimus' attacks. He opts to focus on evasion. With dance-like movements, he spins away from him and keeps his distance. He uses the energy built up from this movement to send a continuous jet of flame at Septimus. It's more risky, but he wants to see how he reacts. He will stop if there's any sign of actual damage.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Sparring Area]

A jet of flame does not seem to be any more effective at getting over Septimus's... aura(?) than the spark was. However, in attempting this, Fayyaad will be able to see a series of contours along the elf's exposed chest, where the fire gets deflected to the sides around his body, as though he we wearing some invisible piece of armor. As Septimus approaches, he seems slowed by the flames, but the expression on his face doesn't seem to indicate any intimidation; what's more likely is that this is some sort of side effect of his aura, treating the flame like a physical object and pushing up against it (as well as being pushed back by it in return).

Still. He isn't slowed down that much, and sooner rather than later, he'll be in reach with his own weapon again. The elf indicates this by bringing down his staff in an overhead swing, followed by a quick slash to the side if Fayyaad makes the mistake of sidestepping the attack. A quick smack is all he seems interested in landing; it'll hurt a little, and leave a red band where it hit, but no permanent harm.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Sparring Area]

Fayyaad does try to sidestep the attack and earns a smack in return. He responds in kind, trying to sweep the legs from under Septimus with his staff and then rattle his ribs. Is he as resistant to blunt trauma as he is to fire?
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Sparring Area]

Whether he's resistant to it or not is a question which will have to remain unanswered; as Fayyaad attempts to sweep his feet out from under him, Septimus jumps back away from him, this time being the one to give a little ground. Much like Fayyaad himself, he seems to have decided that evasion is the best form of defense (where the actual staves are concerned), making no attempt at blocking the attack but instead choosing to simply get out of reach.

And yet, as soon as the attempted sweep is passed, he runs right back in, attempting to rush Fayyaad and either force him backward or off of his feet with a series of small swings aimed at around shoulder level, bouncing his staff back and forth in a series of rapid strokes that seem to be much more showy than they are potentially devastating. Even if he finds gaps in Fayyaad's guard, he won't exploit them, choosing instead to aim for places where his staff can intercede easily or he can evade with a single step, while attempting to prevent any follow-up by forcing him to reckon with another stroke immediately.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Cantie Banties

"Wait, no. That was my job. I got hired by MERC! Uh, surprise!" Fettina spreads her hands. "I think she wanted you to gather information on... someone named Helios. Does that sound more your speed?"

As Cantie explains the origin of the bandage, Fettina manages to look pretty worried. "Oh. Well. That's no good. I'm not sure I like the thought of you going on jobs where you get shot at." She reaches out and pokes Cantata in her uninjured arm. "You're far too squishy."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Sparring Area]

Fayyaad is pressed hard and pushed back. Septimus' fighting skill outstrips his own, with his pyromancy ineffective (and inappropriate for a sparring match indoors). He steps back to buy himself a moment and unleashes a cloud of dark smoke with a sweep of his hand. He directs it at the upper half of Septimus' body, intending to blind him.

[Briefing Room]

Dipsnig is waiting in a briefing room for Tina, Solenoid and Frigate. There's a job that needs doing and it requires several pairs of hands. Frigate will be babysitting the two newer members.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Sparring Area]

Septimus blinks in moderate surprise at this. Fortunately for him, the usefulness of this technique is... slightly hampered. That aura that keeps the fire off Septimus seems to be just as effective at clearing away the smoke, even visibly thinning (but spreading) it as it bends around him. The barrier extends up to his face, as well, further reducing the impact; had Fayyaad tried this on someone else, their eyes would be watering, their nostrils would be burning, and they would likely be left coughing and gagging; an effective assault on the senses and therefore distraction. With Septimus, no such luck.

But it doesn't seem to fail entirely, as Fayyaad still has the benefit of the physical obstruction from the smoke, making him somewhat harder to see. And unlike Septimus, he doesn't have a glowing aura or weapon that gives his position away. Which means it might provide sufficient cover to do something the elf won't see coming.

Septimus, for his part, cautiously backs away, gaze flicking back and forth through the billowing grey cloud in front of him. He's still watching and listening intently for anything that might clue him in on what Fayyaad intends to do next.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Briefing Room

Frigate is the first to arrive, it seems. The warforged is a bulky construct, resembling a cross between a suit of full plate and a statue, with bronze clad stone housing ticking cogs and whirring gears of brass. His head is mounted directly to his shoulders like a turret, with the ability to turn but not to bend, and a purple light is visible inside like a glowing eye behind the visor of a helmet. He's tall and wide, and hanging at his waist is a belt with a large cutlass and a pair of well-crafted wheellock pistols. He looks clumsy, but moves well. Everything about him and his gear is well-made, but not flashy.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[Briefing Room]

Frigate is soon followed by Solenoid. The effeminate robot is shaped just like an average human woman, but with silver metal plating for skin. She's wearing her signature red backless/sleeveless sweater, and has her sniper rifle and rail cannon on her back. In a divot between her shoulder blades rests a small point of light, while on her head she wears a white sun hat and on her feet some short, flat black heels.

Solenoid can't help but notice that Frigate seems to be a robot, just like her. What a pleasant surprise!
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Murkus wrote: Aug 12, 2022 1:36 am Cantie Banties

"Wait, no. That was my job. I got hired by MERC! Uh, surprise!" Fettina spreads her hands. "I think she wanted you to gather information on... someone named Helios. Does that sound more your speed?"

As Cantie explains the origin of the bandage, Fettina manages to look pretty worried. "Oh. Well. That's no good. I'm not sure I like the thought of you going on jobs where you get shot at." She reaches out and pokes Cantata in her uninjured arm. "You're far too squishy."
Cantie Banties

"You did? Wow, congratulations!" The empath smiles broadly, clasping her hands together. "It does sound much more like my skillset, yes - information is what I used to do, after all. It has been a while, but I think I still have the skills."

Tina's poking and prodding earns her some of that trademark muted, breathy giggling she's come to know so well. "Please love, you know me! I'm very careful, and I can handle myself. I have plenty of tricks to keep from getting shot at, and usually I'm quiet enough to shoot or stab them first." Cantata smiles. "You're right though - I am a little squishy. I thought that's how I caught your eye in the first place?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
WarKitty
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by WarKitty »

The Lab

It's the kind of lab where you do things in a relatively safe environment where I can observe and see what happens. And not accidentally change someone's sex with no way to fix it or something like that. Xun sounds like there's history here. Right at this point though they are arriving. The lab itself is mostly a large observation tank, with what looks like a screened in arena in the center surrounded by wards. There's a glass walled observation post above it with a giant touch screen.
ForTheGnomes
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by ForTheGnomes »

"Okay, I think I can work with this," Jerick says as he looks around. "So, this is basically the testing area for after you make something?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Lab]

"...is that a thing that used to happen?" Olvisin asks with some concern. Some years ago an irreversible sex change would have been very convenient for her, but how would it even work now? Best not put it to test. "Well, let's get to work. Which is to say throwing things and seeing what happens. That's the best kind."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Sparring Area]

Fayyaad moves quickly and erratically, hoping that the smoke will prevent Septimus for tracking his movements too closely. He sends a spark of fire off to the side, hoping to distract him even further. He'll then try to strike him in the ribs once again, eager to get at least one hit in.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Sparring Area]

Shifts in Septimus's outline strongly suggest he can still track Fayyaad through the smoke, but that seems to be more a function of movement than anything; he steps back in surprise when Fayyaad sends a spark his way, what little of his face can be seen betraying a look of confusion. Why had Fayyaad bothered with an attack he already knew to be useless?

The answer isn't clear to him until Fayyaad strikes with his staff, a move which Septimus is too distracted to see coming.

pak!

What happens next depends on if the staff is magically protected or not.
► It is.
► It is not.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Sparring Area]

Fayyaad's staff is indeed magically reinforced and strikes home. The tiefling steps away from Septimus, panting.

"I finally landed a hit, but you're ahead by quite a few of them," he comments.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Sparring Area]

Septimus releases his hold on his staff, causing it to dissipate, while he rubs at his ribs and winces. "Does that mean we are done fighting?" He asks, looking up at the tiefling. He's not sure how much more of this he could take; that hurt!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Cantie Banties]

"Yeah, I mean, I hang out here all the time anyway, and I'd like to try to develop some more useful skills, so..." Fettina shrugs.

"Well, I don't particularly like the the idea of any of my friends getting shot or poked at, but at least you're all pretty good at avoiding it. I knew you had to be pretty good at your job, to get this far and still be this pretty," Fettina decides, crossing her arms. "You are one of my squishiest squeezes. I don't really know how you move as well as you do with all that extra packing. It's a real gift. I have never had that problem." She could give herself that problem if she really wanted, but inflating herself always felt a little disingenuous somehow.

[Briefing Room]

Fettina pops in here as well. She sees the others and lets her chrome shell flow over her skin, leaving her looking like a steely angel. Look, now they all match! Sort of... "We're color coded!" She declares, smiling and waving at the other people. She looks to Dipsnig and salutes. "Reporting, boss!"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Briefing Room]

"Good, you're all here," Dipsnig says, acknowledging each of the three mercenaries with a nod. "This will be the first mission for two of you, but Frigate will keep an eye on you. Our job is to get rid of demons inhabiting a neighborhood called Hell's Bend in Riverside. They ended up there after an... incident Frigate is familiar with. The city doesn't appreciate them being there. Ideally, we'll resolve the situation without having to use force."

[Sparring Area]

"It's not really my decision..." Fayyaad looks over to where Violet is hovering. "Dena, can you speak to us through your drone? Is that enough of a demonstration?"
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Cantie Banties]

The empath smiles at this, clearly a little flattered. "It's something you pick up with practice. You learn how to make the padding work for you," she jokes with a playful wink, before her expression gets a little more earnest. "But don't worry - I promise to be more careful for you. You mean a lot to me, and it would break my heart to leave you as soon as we met."

A smile flits across Cantata's face, though, and she gives Fettina a teasing look. "Besides, you know Kirk would be smug about it, and we can't have that."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Interruption]

It's noon and Valerie and Leis are walking down the hall toward the kitchen, having a nice chat. "Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. Astrana okayed the babysitting plans. I told the kids my friend was going to watch them this weekend and they're all excited to meet you now."
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Interruption

"Oh, awesome! I was wondering about that." Leis smiles, clutching a book at her side. She had been planning to do some light reading while eating lunch, but Valerie meeting up with her on the way has probably quashed such ambitions. "I hope you're not hyping me up too much to them - I wouldn't want to disappoint their expectations!"
~Welcome to Night Vale